Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_vincent_gw

Wanna see something wild?

bill_vincent
17 years ago

One of my son's best friends is home on 2 weeks leave from Iraq, and he brought home a couple of pics with him. This one gets me more than any of the others. It's him, sitting in Saddam's throne! Now, THAT'S one he'll be able to talk to his GRANDKIDS about!!

Comments (9)

• lori316
    17 years ago

Wow...that is wild.

I'm also impressed with his...um...weapon :D

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

Wow....

So from a TKOer's perspective--are we thinking that's enamel, or is there some red marble or onyx look veining going on in the top of that ..um..chair?

• proudmamato4
    17 years ago

Wow, what a story for his kids and grandkids someday!

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

LOL flyleft. Red dragon granite obviously...

Thanks for the post Bill. That is wild.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This one is a little more sobering. Below is a pic of a HumVee he was riding in three months ago. They got hit by an IED, and of the 5 people in the truck, he was in the best shape of them all. He had a piece of shrapnell hit that back of his helmet and cave it in. It knocked him out for 3 days, but once he came to, atleast physically speaking, he was okay. Someone's prayers were most certainly answered.

• elizabeth_b
    17 years ago

Wow ~ Bill ~ that is a very sobering photo. Thank you for sharing it with us and even more importantly, thank him for putting it all on the line for us! Our freedom is a very precious thing and I admire the h*ll out of those who give their all to protect it.

~ Elizabeth

• alexrander
    17 years ago

I wish I didn't hear the words 'our freedom' tied up with this war. I realize how stressful the situation is for everyone involved, on all sides. The mult-billions that we spend on this war does not just evaporate. It goes from our hands into the hands of those who profit from this war. Hundreds of Billions of dollars. As well as all that is taken out of that country.

The taxpayers here at home pay,and the family and friends and lovers and nation pays with the loss of our children, and their various wounded bodies and minds. Meanwhile people are getting rich..believe it or not this is not a non-profit war.

And as the war goes on we are losing freedoms. Our phone records, our financial records, and some of our freedom of speech (including a media like the N.Y.Times that is afraid to print the truth and would rather fabricate stories for the adminstration). Lost due to this war. Our freedom to take care of other problems at home..gone, we don't have enough money! Think Katrina,and the state of our poor. And now after causing so much pain and destruction we've created fear and more anger towards us in the rest of the world. Creating new enemies does not protect our freedom it just makes us more vulnerable. Neither does treating people worst than dogs with torture and other atrocities on our part.

I think of Lincoln's Gettysburg address when he states "that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people and for the people shall not perish from this earth" Today we can start by ending this war.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If I'd known this was going to turn political, I never would have posted this thread. I certainly didn't post any view on the war-- only the distinctive and in one case, harrowing pics from one young soldier.

This is definitely a discussion you don't want to get into with me.

• alexrander
    17 years ago

These days it seems most everything has a politcal angle. I know you weren't saying anything and I appreciate that. Obviously I have strong feelings as well.