Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portland, OR Get Together??

Posted by marlene_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 17:33

There seems to be so many of us in the Portland area, maybe it might be fun to try a get together. Anyone interested can email me at pdxmarlene@aol.com or post to this thread with suggested dates and/or places.

...and if anyone wants to fly in from Alaska, that's ok too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portland, OR Get Together??

Sounds like fun to me, there do seem to be a bunch of us. Anyone else interested?

o

Hi snowy, shoot me off an email at pdxmarlene@aol.com for good dates for you...so far I have two (just about anytime is good) responses.

m

o

Well I am in Eugene, but would love to meet other GW's.

o

acountryfarm...and other GW's would love to meet you! I bet with everything you've got going on, including home schooling 10 kids, you'd think nothing of driving 2 hours each way!

Let me know if there are any particularly good dates for you...(btw..it took my plumber over 3 hours to install that faucet...he seemed a bit confused)....but it sure is pretty.

o

I'd be up for it too! I know several other folks over on Decorating had mentioned a get together too but it never happened. You should post a note over there on Conversations

o

Hi Lindy...I'm trying to get good or bad dates so we can see what's the best for everyone. So far, the month of August has one vote. If everyone could email me with the best dates, I can try and coordinate a date that's good for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion to post at the Decorating Forum, but I think it might be more difficult to monitor another thread. Maybe word of mouth (or word of post) will work. It would be terrific if everyone in the PDX area could come.

btw..every time I see your kitchen, I drool (well, that could be my age)...you're so lucky to have such a gorgeous kitchen and to be DONE!

o

Depending on what other chaos is occuring at the moment I might pop in from Eastern Washington. Sounds like fun!

o

I might even be interested, coming from the Puget Sound area. I'd love to meet you guys, face to face. I have to be in Centralia August 9th for my 30th reunion...So could come down maybe the next day (not sure if there are reunion events that day or not), or just a whole other day that month.

If snowyshasta, acountryfarm, and I all brought our families, it could be a HUGE party! ;-)

o

rhome, I think that would make 23 kids just among the three of you...we'd need to rent out the Rose Garden!

claybabe...I'll be (I am) in the middle of chaos...this would be a really nice diverson. Hope you can make it...so far the early part of August seems to be good.

o

Thanks for the kitchen compliments marlene! ;c)

I'm pretty open this summer with the exception of mid August. I have two kiddos, ages 6 and 8 that would be with me unless it's during one of their camp times.

If you don't mind, I might put a link over on Conversations since there were quite a few Portlander's interested at one point.

Lindy

o

lindy, that would be great..please include my email address...pdxmarlene@aol.com.

Thanks!

Oh, and it looks like early August is good for everyone so far.

o

I'd like to meet other PDX folks! I'm available anytime between July 16 and August 23 (so far), except the evening of August 3.

o

lindy, thanks for linking to this...some names I recognize, some I don't--but I'd like to meet any g'webbers anytime :) Early August is fine for us except for 8/2 (our 16th anniversary :)), and depending on the time of day I might have to be late or leave early or whatever, but we've done all the traveling we are doing. Look forward to meeting folks! (rhome, do come down--can you bring your home with you? :))

o

Flyleft,
Only if everyone else brings theirs... :-D

o

I spoke too soon...it seems as though the end of August will work better. Some are completing their remodels in early to mid August (lucky people) and it would be a bit difficult to get away then...and some will be stressed and depressed because they'll be smack in the middle (me)..and it will be a great stress reliever to be able to get away from it all.

o

Hi!
A little late to the party, but I'd love to be included too! We are in the middle of moving so I have not been on the computer much the last few days and have missed this post. The end of August would work for me too. :)

o

Aw shucks, rhome...a girl can dream, yes? :)

Maybe we should send pics around to everyone who's coming beforehand so we can save up questions...

o

I like that idea, or else have everyone bring pictures of before and after or current status or whatever. That way I can associate faces with kitchens :-)

o

ME TOO! I am free most days in August-though not all.
I will stay posted. Where are you/we thinking of meeting?

o

End of August great for me. This sounds like it could be quite a party, so fun!!!

o

Acountryfarm, you are up late, too!

o
RE: Portland, OR Get Together?? .......

rhome -- I am in Snohomish for a wedding. This is my birth family, most of whom I have never met. It is an amazing story & I am just unwinding.
Kids are at home , so its just dh and me. We have had a great day, it is so beautiful here.

o
RE: ACF and the late hour

Wow, that sounds like quite an adventure/fairly big life moment. I am up for a less unique reason...4 yo with a fever...and he insisted that he sleep on the couch (and me with him) "because that's just what sick people do." Who could argue? ;-)

o

Yes, plenty of sick moments on couch w/ kiddos. My little 4 yr old called and was very mommy sick. I don't go away much so it was a teary moment for him. This is something I have been planning on going to though, and it has been very fun. Your right a fairly big life moment.

I have enjoyed being in this part of the PNW. I am certain this is my new favorite small town.

o

Since I've been corresponding solely with Marlene, I thought I'd make my intentions official and post! Unfortunately, I'm one of the folks that can't come until the end of August. I'm really looking forward to this and many thanks to Marlene for getting this posted and organized. Portland is a great place for all kinds of delicious cuisine so we'll have our pick of restaurants to choose from. Anthony Bourdain was in Portland last year and loved the city and its food.

On another note, carpools might work if some of us are coming from the mid-valley like myself.

o

How about Friday, August 22? or any day that week? The next week is the one before Labor day and I'm sure pretty hectic for everyone.

Noodlesportland,, uxorial, luckymom..that would be wonderful if you can make it.

I'm just wondering when I announce to you all at lunch that I love a beautiful kitchen, but don't cook, if I will be forced to hang my head in shame and be made to sit at a table by myself?

o

Maybe I'm a wimp, but driving in the summer Friday (especially afternoon) traffic into and out of a major city isn't something I'd choose if I had other options... A different day maybe?

o

No shame Marlene! TKO for whatever reason makes it ok! :)
August 22 works for me! Not sure what everyone will think of this but what about a picnic? I was thinking it looks like we could have a large group and possibly some children in tow... We have some family property about 30 minutes south of Portland where we hang out in the summer and have gatherings. It would allow for as many people as we would like to have, kids would be welcome, would allow us to 'mingle' with ease...and of course be as loud as we want! ;) Just a thought, let me know what you guys think and I'll check our date to make sure there is nothing else going on that day at the property. It is 'rustic' but there is a bathroom, a covered picnic area and basic kitchen equipment. There is also a shallow creek for wading and exploring. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

o

Maybe everyone can post or email the best days for the week of August 15 that will work best.

luckymom, that is so nice of you...but I think everyone was kidding about bringing the kids..I think...and that time of year I think being inside with A/C might be more comfortable.

Whatever everyone wants is ok with me...

o
RE: luckymom23's idea

I can't speak for everyone else, and, of course, my older ones wouldn't want to come along, but if I'm going that distance, it'd have to be considered a family outing, and it would make it more certain I could come. (If we're going to use that much gas this summer, it has to be for us all.) If we do something without kids, my dh and kids would have to find something else to do during the get-together, which is possible, but not as easy or as much fun. --So luckymom23's idea sounds great to me. Gets us out of the city, too, and with so much to do/a fun place to hang out, not as big an issue that it'd be on a Friday.

But mine is only 1 person's viewpoint, I know...So majority rules. :-)

o

The 22nd works for me. I love the thought of a large gathering with children but as 2 of my little children have extreme motion sickness I would opt to come without them. But, the idea sounds so fun. Ditto on the thanks to luckymom.

If my house was done I would gladly host you all for a summer bar-b-que as well, even though it is in Eugene.
Carpooling sounds fine. I could take 3 additional people.

o

Shoot...Just remembered DH's 30 yr reunion is supposed to be the night of the 22nd. Not sure yet if we're going, though.

Poor babies, acountryfarm! I have occasionally experienced mild car sickness and that's horrible enough.

o

All Ok that week for me. in/out only depends on whether we are in a real heat wave. My experience is that happens in July.

o

I think when this thread was started it was with the idea that the Portland, Oregon get-together would mimic the NYC get-together in that it would be a smallish group of gardenwebers meeting at a local eatery. When we start bringing in children and then moving to an outdoor spot just to accommodate everyone, it starts morphing into less of an intimate get-to-know you type of environment to one that isn't.

I spoke with Marlene and we both would prefer to meet in the city and have lunch. However, there is the option of having two get-togethers. One group can meet in the city for a cozy lunch and the other could meet outdoors and have a family-style picnic. This way people can choose which gathering they would like to attend.

o

Splitting it seems to defeat part of the purpose... I just thought of the more casual event as an easier way to move around and talk to each other (at a restaurant table you so often only talk to the people right next to you), and a 'Northwest' approach vs NYC. :-) But it was Marlene's idea, so it's very much her right to plan it the way she envisioned it, and probably best and most fair to let her vote override everyone else's. Letting the planner and leader do the leading prevents conflicts.

As fun as it sounds, it probably isn't a reasonable stress to add to my family budget anyway. I just got all excited about a way to meet you all. Oh, how I miss the days when gas expense didn't have to be such a consideration...

o

rhome, I'm only one vote...I was just trying to coordinate the get together...I personally would prefer a smaller gathering like the one in NYC for the reasons Lisa set forth. Heck, if it were truly up to me, I like to meet in Paris!

o

I'm okay with either one, but since I'm not traveling any further than in from the suburbs easy for me to say! But I'd enjoy both a smaller restaurant get-together and a bigger family outing. I do think we should choose one, though, as I'd hate to split the group and not get to meet everyone.

Am I the only one whose DH thinks that gatherings are weird. He just doesn't get it :-) but tolerates my foibles.

o

Whatever people want is fine with me, as long as we're in town/available. Might be nice, actually, since so many of us have kids, to include the kids in a meaningful way for once rather than making them tag along as we have (or at least I have) for all these remodeling shopping trips. Who knows, maybe some pen pals may be born out of it? Always thinking like a homeschool mom, I am :)

I also want to let folks in the PDX area know that there is a mother lode of Ann Sacks tile at the ReBuilding Center right now. (Did I mention above about dragging DD on shopping trips? :)) Well, a few hundred less tiles now that I'm done with it, but *plenty* of high-end field and decor tiles still. Just phenomenal stuff, and I was there so long with my family today we found ourselves sorting even the stuff we didn't take more into groups so that people could find all of one kind in one place. There is enough to do several backsplashes there, either modern or traditional, and several sf of some pieces that would make fabulous medallions over a stove... I see now that what I got I see retails for anywhere between $40-90/sf, and I got three boxes full for $30. Gas fireplace/stove surround, here I come :)

And snowyshasta, I'm pretty sure the gathering instinct is a chick thing :)

o
ps RE: Portland, OR Get Together??

Just reread my message and

G*d! Someone please cut me off at the smiley-face bar--I have got to stop using those things...

o

flyleft...I like your smiley faces! I should remember to use them because my humor is so dry...I need the smiley faces to let people reading my posts know I'm justing kidding...:)

You were downtown in this HOT weather? Oye.

Snowy...nope, you're not alone..my DH just stopped asking..and rolls his eyes. Last week while we were on our way to have some lunch...I told him I'd rather go check out a particular stone yard that I thought had the white onyx Igloo was looking for....so off we went without question...and yes, I actually said "Igloo".

o

Well, for what it's worth, Marlene asked me to post a preference for a smaller, more intimate gathering as we both had similar viewpoints. I was not in any way, shape or form trying to take the lead or manage this gathering but was asked to post and so I obliged.

However you all see fit to do this thing is fine by me. I totally see the point made regarding table seating and how difficult it can be to manage more than one conversation at a time. I think the original poster would concur that whatever everyone else wants to do is the way to go.

Thanks all!

o

Flyleft, I think we homeschooling moms think of including our kids in everything, because we're used to them sharing every part of our lives...They (and we) learn to love it! (Most of the time---maybe not the 4th tile store, for the 3rd time...) They were a big part of the decision making process for the kitchen and house...They were the construction crew, after all!

My family hears all about all of you, too, and, of course, have to answer the call to "Come look at THIS kitchen!" Sometimes, as they walk, they're saying "Is this going to be another forum kitchen?" The dh got 'the look' (the dead stare) when he had the audacity to ask, "Our kitchen is pretty much done, you don't need to look at more kitchens, do you?" Talk about clueless!

He wouldn't come along if it was a local get-together, but, like I said, a 6+ hour round-trip is worth making into a family trip, even if it'd be necessary for me to take a break out of it for lunch.

o

Gone August 13-20th unfortunately! If it turns out that's when the majority can make it, then by all means do it! Just remember to take pics for me.

o

I think it's wonderful how people include their kids. I've volunteered for children's organizations for many years, and have seen some horribly neglected kids. It's truly heartbreaking.

I originally posted this thread because many have mentioned in the past how fun it would be to get together...I guess I was being naive in thinking it would be as simple as gathering interested parties, agreeing upon a date, time and place. But now it's a bit more complicated and I don't feel that I am the best one to be the coorindator for a really large gathering. Sorry.

o
RE: Don't give up, Marlene!

"I guess I was being naive in thinking it would be as simple as gathering interested parties, agreeing upon a date, time and place."

I think this is still possible. I hope you know that no one's intending to make it seem complicated or is arguing about anything. Just different visions and different lifestyles coming together to try to contribute and accomplish the same fun thing. (Maybe the cat-herding analogy would fit.) Just throwing out ideas we have in the excitement of the moment. None of us meant to hijack things. We, or at least I, will shut up now. Name a date (or offer a couple), place, and time and those who can will come, and I'm sure it'll be a good time! :-D

o

I am up for lunch at some wonderful place in Portland.

o

Marlene, you're so right about the heat. It's *oppressive*, and it's 10:45 already! Wunderground (weather underground--the weather geek website my DH frequents for planning his cycling) logged 102.9 degrees around maybe 4:30 pm today a few blocks from us. I was afraid to find out what the weather's like in Eugene for the Olympic trials--anyone know? (Did anyone watch "Without Limits" tonight? I feel more and more like a real Oregonian as DD gets more into distance-running)

But maybe that heat is what kept all those great tiles there at ReBC for us. Looking more at the Ann Sacks website, I found some of the tiles I got at ReBC tonight (have slightly less than a full sf, but have enough for part of an art piece) that are $117/sf! I just wanted to send up a G'web flare or something (where do we get those, btw?)--the tiles there are so beautiful they should go to properly appreciative TKOers :)

marlene, what's wrong with folks suggesting different ideas for a get-together? It's part of the process. Shows excitement and all that :) (stop me before I emote again!). It's a good thing. We will just work out what's most workable for the most people, that's all. And maybe some side parties will meet up, e.g. those who want to meet me at ReBC for a tile-fest (JUST KIDDING!), from those who can't make the other event, etc.

Lunch in Portland sounds wonderful, as long as it's at a wonderful place. I know the company will be wonderful. (or for fans of "House Hunters", please change all "wonderful"s to "nice"s). No emoticons, either.

;)

o

Didn't see Without Limits last night but I've seen it previously...always interested in the Nike connection since hubby used to work there. I did watch the Olympic Trials that were in Eugene. What powerful athletes!

Also up for lunch in downtown. I always love the "water" restaurants. McCormick and Schmick and the new one that just changed ownership down on the dock. (I forgot the name but it was good food)

All done with tiling Fly but I could meet at Restoration Hardware...LOL

Let me know!

P.S. Huge House Hunter fan here....LOL ;c)

o

Hey everyone, we are not going to let this fall by the wayside are we? I am anxious to have lunch and meet everyone.
I am all for meeting on 23rd. st. Is there anywhere to eat in that area? I definitely know the shopping up there but not so much the eating.
Lets figure this out and have some fun.

Kimberly

o

Hi, been away for a couple of days and just thought I'd bump this up...sorry if my suggestion sent things awry. I did not 'get' that the venue was so important to some and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was just thinking along the same lines as some others I guess, big open space where we could take our time and mingle and have kids along if that would mean more people could make it.

If anyone is still interested...
Would anyone care to commit to a date and then we can pick a place? Would Friday the 22nd of August work for most people?

o

The 22nd is one of the 2 or 3 days in August that won't work for me. But maybe since I'm the farthest away, with the highest likelihood of something happening to prevent me from coming, my situation shouldn't be taken into account. -Especially if that date works for everyone else.

If nothing else, I'm bumping this back up, so others might respond!

o

Is there another date that week that works?? Papa Haydns on 23rd has a lovely back room that I will bet we can secure-we used it for our DD HS grad brunch-esp. if we agree to meet for an early or a late lunch. I would guess it would handle about 20 people. Fine food and amazing!! desserts

o

Papa Haydns sounds great!-Thanks for suggesting it noodles. Any day that week would work for me.

o

Papa Haydn's is inarguable :) I could come any day that week; DD is camp-free so I have no dropoff/pickup duties and she can play with someone or hang with DH at work while I'm gone :). OR if anyone else will be bringing a child near 10 y.o., I could bring DD too.

o

Any other day that week works for me. Would prefer Mon, Tues, or Wed.

Flyleft, as an alternative to turning it into a family trip, I was thinking of bringing my 12 yo dd, who loves tile stores, etc. and was really involved in all of that with me...So if we were all going to do a bit of TKO shopping she'd like it. We're due for some Mom-Daughter time anyway. So it's funny that I'd already discussed this with Acountryfarm and she thought she might bring her 13 yo dd, too. I have to warn you though, that my 12 yo is pretty quiet, so won't be the chatty type with other girls. I do have an 8 yo who jumps right in, so I could bring her, too, I suppose...But I don't want to hog up too many of the limited seats in the room at the restaurant! I'd probably just stick to bringing the one.

o

I am game. I will definitely bring DD if others are doing the same. She relishes the chance to spend time alone with me, as she is inundated with boys. One dad, 10 brothers, 5 male cats, 2 male bunnies, and 1 male dog. Thats a lot for anyone to handle. She loves to shop, eat, chat, so would love to bring her if it works out that way.

o

DD has officially said yes, she'll come, although she's disappointed that no track events are involved :) (she's a bit obsessed recently)...I'll try to keep her from running around the restaurant :)

And thus begins the intiation of the next generation into the mysteries of TKOness...

o

My dd is definitely 'in'...AND she likes track, too. Building a house gave a forced 2 yr break, but next year she has plans to join the jr high track team, which her older sister coaches. (My girls all love track and cross-country...For the boys, it's all baseball.)

I looked up Papa Haydn's online and saw that they are famous for their desserts and cakes. My TKO sister has done gourmet desserts and baked an occasional wedding cake, and so appreciates the work of others in that area...I asked her if she didn't feel a cough coming on so that she might have to miss work that day! :-)

o

That's so cool, rhome! They may even run the same distances...are they following the trials? Someone told me she thought that Eugene will host them again in 2012, which would be even cooler for DD, since she'd be that much more of a veteran and more able to appreciate it.

btw, Restoration H'ware is within walking distance of Papa Haydn's, lindy :)

o
RE: OT for Flyleft on track

Flyleft, we have watched a little of the trials, but I'm sure they're more in the news there than way up here. My older girls have been hurdlers and relay runners for track, throw discus in the field, then run cross-country, too...Odd combination of sprints, field, and distance. I'm not sure if Mary's decided her niche...I think she really enjoyed shot put and the 100m, but has run 5Ks, too. Her sister coaches hurdles, so she might give them a try.

o

Wow - take a month or so away to sell the house and move and look at all I miss!! My beautiful kitchen belongs to someone else and I'm in the Brady Bunch he!! of a kitchen now and back to late nights on GW perfecting my mental picture of what it will become. :-)

The Oregonians certainly are a growing bunch! I'm so glad to see this proposed meeting. I work M-F, but if we did a later afternoon meeting I'm sure I could leave early. Of course, my OLD office was on 23rd but it's just a short skip from the new one. Has a date been set?

It's good to be back . . .

o

LOVE Papa Haydyn's! ;c)

I'm scrolling back up to see if I can narrow down a date. Would a Saturday or Sunday work better for those not wanting to get stuck in Friday traffic and those that are working? Maybe we can take a poll since we are getting close to figuring this out.

Which dates works best for you? I can make it any of these days but would have a 6 1/2 year old and 8 year old with me on Friday. Not that it matters, they can bring activities to the table and would love dessert at Papa's of course.

Please respond which dates you could make it:
Friday, Aug 22
Saturday, Aug 23
Sunday, Aug 24

o

I thought everyone was talking about a weekday...Hubby's reunion is late into the night on the 22nd, so it would be difficult, also, for me to get there on the 23rd. As I said, I was hoping for Mon, Tues, or Wed (18th, 19th, 20th). Sunday might be possible, but not the best for us. I'll keep watching to see what will work for everyone else, and what you all decide.

o

Sorry Rhome, I was just throwing out some dates to help us all narrow it down. I'm not able to make the 18th, 19th or 20th. However, I could do Thursday the 21st. Does that work better for you since you have a busy weekend? Then, it would also avoid the Friday traffic some were worried about. Does Thursday, August 21st work for anyone else??

o

I was also the pain in the neck who was worried about Friday traffic ;-)...But then I remembered DH's reunion is that day anyway. I think I could make the 21st work.

o

Thursday the 21st will work for me.

o

The 21st is good for me too. :)

o

oh, me me me too! I am mostly a lurker and just back from vacation, so I'm late to the party on this thread. I would really enjoy meeting other tko'ers. 8/21 works for me!

o

21st would be fine with us.

o

The 21st works for me as well.

o

I think a plan is coming together!! Marlene, does the 21st work for you. Since you were sweet enough to get this ball rolling, I'm hoping you are free that day.

Including myself, I think we have 7 YES votes for the 21st at Papa Haydn's. Anyone else?

o

I think I can make the 21st work - can we do later afternoon?

o

I can probably make it on the 21st!

o

I should be able to make it on the 21st as well. Are we thinking the westside Papa Haydn's? I think so from the mention of 23rd Street. I'd be coming from work in Hillsboro (way west) so the further west the better.

o

Bumping this up for those that might not have seen it yet. Marlene and Lisapico...can you both make the 21st?

snowyshasta, yes we are referring to Papa Haydn's on the Westside and I'm thinking we are getting close to picking a time. Justnotmartha, would 3:00 or 4:00pm be late enough??

o

Or, Justnotmartha, do you have a lunch break?

o

I didn't even know there was an east side Papa Haydn's :)

We should start the virtual house tour (maybe through e-mail?) so that everyone can have seen everyone else's houses/kitchens...

o

Bumping this again for other interested PNW's !

o

and again --are all accounted for?????

o

Yes, I was thinking that we should set up an email to make sure everyone has info, and we can share pictures there, too. Marlene, are you still up for doing organization? I think you had collected a bunch of email addresses.

o

Sorry - I've been on vacation! I can usually take a lunch - it just depends on how many appointments I have that day. 3:00 or 4:00 would work well, Lindy.

o

bump

o

Looks like we got moved over to Conversations....

Are we all still up for this? I think 3:00pm on Thursday, August 21st at Papa Haydn's sounds GREAT!!

Who is still in? Marlene, did you ever get an email loop going? Mine is lindybarts@aol.com

Lindy

o

I am still interested and able to come on that day.

Kimberly

o

Thanks for doing this, lindy. Yes, I'm still interested, DD as well, and hoping that rhome's DD and any others might be coming too.

o

Still thinking of coming and bringing DD.

o

So sad..I grew up in Eugene and spent 40+ years there, and lived in Beaverton for more than a year before moving to NC. I will be in Eugene August 5-12, but can't extend.

Have a great time, folks! Wish I could be there.

o

I'll need to double check my work calender Monday, but I'm 99% sure it will be fine. Looking forward to it!

o

Funny, nan, we moved *from* NC. Too bad you can't make it--it would be fun to share OR/NC comparisons :)

rhome, great!

o

nan - wish we could meet you. I am in Eugene and am anxious to meet other PNW GW's.
Hope your visit here is wonderful.

o

I'm also planning to be there - can't wait to meet everyone!

o

I was talking with Lindy and Marlene - we're hoping to get an email conversation going so we can get to know each other (and our kitchens :-) a little more before the actual meeting.

Anyone interested, please drop me a line (snowyshasta@awoodfamily.com) and I'll include you in a group email.

o

I'm planning to be there!

o

Me too!

o

SO sorry to have missed you all...DD woke up with a pretty accomplished fever today, so I've been home administering fluids and aleve...*sigh* I hope you all had a great time, toasted me and rhome with a bite of delicious pastry and some espresso, and chatted the hours away...

o

Looking forward to seeing photos of you all having a great time, and of your yummy desserts, too! :-)

So sorry, Flyleft, about your daughter. I always think of long term plans as 'tentative,' as I have often had plans changed by some irritating virus or phantom fever. Hope DD is better soon!

o

I'm also sorry to have missed the get together. I planned to go, but then on Saturday I got word that my sister had a stroke. She's been in the hospital since (barely responsive), is on a feeding tube, and will probably not be able to walk or talk. She's being moved to a skilled nursing facility on Monday. She's 63 and has always been like a second mom to me.

I just wasn't in the mood to meet new people and be all cheery. Plus, I had some things to do to prepare for houseguests who arrive in two days, and I had a bad sinus headache on top of it all.

I hope you all had fun and took some photos to share with us!

o

Uxorial, I'm so sorry! I hope your sister is improving. My prayers are with you and your family.

o

(((uxorial!))) I will be thinking of your sister and sending energies up your way for both your sister and you.

and rhome, DD is just now getting better--she can play Zoo Tycoon and watch the Olympics but not much else...but it's an improvement and I hope tomorrow she'll be that much better still. Man proposes, children dispose, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here