Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_2007

Portland, OR Get Together??

marlene_2007
15 years ago

There seems to be so many of us in the Portland area, maybe it might be fun to try a get together. Anyone interested can email me at pdxmarlene@aol.com or post to this thread with suggested dates and/or places.

...and if anyone wants to fly in from Alaska, that's ok too!

Comments (99)

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Hi, been away for a couple of days and just thought I'd bump this up...sorry if my suggestion sent things awry. I did not 'get' that the venue was so important to some and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was just thinking along the same lines as some others I guess, big open space where we could take our time and mingle and have kids along if that would mean more people could make it.

If anyone is still interested...
    Would anyone care to commit to a date and then we can pick a place? Would Friday the 22nd of August work for most people?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The 22nd is one of the 2 or 3 days in August that won't work for me. But maybe since I'm the farthest away, with the highest likelihood of something happening to prevent me from coming, my situation shouldn't be taken into account. -Especially if that date works for everyone else.

If nothing else, I'm bumping this back up, so others might respond!

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

Is there another date that week that works?? Papa Haydns on 23rd has a lovely back room that I will bet we can secure-we used it for our DD HS grad brunch-esp. if we agree to meet for an early or a late lunch. I would guess it would handle about 20 people. Fine food and amazing!! desserts

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Papa Haydns sounds great!-Thanks for suggesting it noodles. Any day that week would work for me.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Papa Haydn's is inarguable :) I could come any day that week; DD is camp-free so I have no dropoff/pickup duties and she can play with someone or hang with DH at work while I'm gone :). OR if anyone else will be bringing a child near 10 y.o., I could bring DD too.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Any other day that week works for me. Would prefer Mon, Tues, or Wed.

Flyleft, as an alternative to turning it into a family trip, I was thinking of bringing my 12 yo dd, who loves tile stores, etc. and was really involved in all of that with me...So if we were all going to do a bit of TKO shopping she'd like it. We're due for some Mom-Daughter time anyway. So it's funny that I'd already discussed this with Acountryfarm and she thought she might bring her 13 yo dd, too. I have to warn you though, that my 12 yo is pretty quiet, so won't be the chatty type with other girls. I do have an 8 yo who jumps right in, so I could bring her, too, I suppose...But I don't want to hog up too many of the limited seats in the room at the restaurant! I'd probably just stick to bringing the one.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I am game. I will definitely bring DD if others are doing the same. She relishes the chance to spend time alone with me, as she is inundated with boys. One dad, 10 brothers, 5 male cats, 2 male bunnies, and 1 male dog. Thats a lot for anyone to handle. She loves to shop, eat, chat, so would love to bring her if it works out that way.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

DD has officially said yes, she'll come, although she's disappointed that no track events are involved :) (she's a bit obsessed recently)...I'll try to keep her from running around the restaurant :)

And thus begins the intiation of the next generation into the mysteries of TKOness...

• rhome410
    15 years ago

My dd is definitely 'in'...AND she likes track, too. Building a house gave a forced 2 yr break, but next year she has plans to join the jr high track team, which her older sister coaches. (My girls all love track and cross-country...For the boys, it's all baseball.)

I looked up Papa Haydn's online and saw that they are famous for their desserts and cakes. My TKO sister has done gourmet desserts and baked an occasional wedding cake, and so appreciates the work of others in that area...I asked her if she didn't feel a cough coming on so that she might have to miss work that day! :-)

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

That's so cool, rhome! They may even run the same distances...are they following the trials? Someone told me she thought that Eugene will host them again in 2012, which would be even cooler for DD, since she'd be that much more of a veteran and more able to appreciate it.

btw, Restoration H'ware is within walking distance of Papa Haydn's, lindy :)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Flyleft, we have watched a little of the trials, but I'm sure they're more in the news there than way up here. My older girls have been hurdlers and relay runners for track, throw discus in the field, then run cross-country, too...Odd combination of sprints, field, and distance. I'm not sure if Mary's decided her niche...I think she really enjoyed shot put and the 100m, but has run 5Ks, too. Her sister coaches hurdles, so she might give them a try.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

Wow - take a month or so away to sell the house and move and look at all I miss!! My beautiful kitchen belongs to someone else and I'm in the Brady Bunch he!! of a kitchen now and back to late nights on GW perfecting my mental picture of what it will become. :-)

The Oregonians certainly are a growing bunch! I'm so glad to see this proposed meeting. I work M-F, but if we did a later afternoon meeting I'm sure I could leave early. Of course, my OLD office was on 23rd but it's just a short skip from the new one. Has a date been set?

It's good to be back . . .

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

LOVE Papa Haydyn's! ;c)

I'm scrolling back up to see if I can narrow down a date. Would a Saturday or Sunday work better for those not wanting to get stuck in Friday traffic and those that are working? Maybe we can take a poll since we are getting close to figuring this out.

Which dates works best for you? I can make it any of these days but would have a 6 1/2 year old and 8 year old with me on Friday. Not that it matters, they can bring activities to the table and would love dessert at Papa's of course.

Please respond which dates you could make it:
    Friday, Aug 22
    Saturday, Aug 23
    Sunday, Aug 24

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I thought everyone was talking about a weekday...Hubby's reunion is late into the night on the 22nd, so it would be difficult, also, for me to get there on the 23rd. As I said, I was hoping for Mon, Tues, or Wed (18th, 19th, 20th). Sunday might be possible, but not the best for us. I'll keep watching to see what will work for everyone else, and what you all decide.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Sorry Rhome, I was just throwing out some dates to help us all narrow it down. I'm not able to make the 18th, 19th or 20th. However, I could do Thursday the 21st. Does that work better for you since you have a busy weekend? Then, it would also avoid the Friday traffic some were worried about. Does Thursday, August 21st work for anyone else??

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I was also the pain in the neck who was worried about Friday traffic ;-)...But then I remembered DH's reunion is that day anyway. I think I could make the 21st work.

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

Thursday the 21st will work for me.

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

The 21st is good for me too. :)

• mavmomma
    15 years ago

oh, me me me too! I am mostly a lurker and just back from vacation, so I'm late to the party on this thread. I would really enjoy meeting other tko'ers. 8/21 works for me!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

21st would be fine with us.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

The 21st works for me as well.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I think a plan is coming together!! Marlene, does the 21st work for you. Since you were sweet enough to get this ball rolling, I'm hoping you are free that day.

Including myself, I think we have 7 YES votes for the 21st at Papa Haydn's. Anyone else?

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

I think I can make the 21st work - can we do later afternoon?

• uxorial
    15 years ago

I can probably make it on the 21st!

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

I should be able to make it on the 21st as well. Are we thinking the westside Papa Haydn's? I think so from the mention of 23rd Street. I'd be coming from work in Hillsboro (way west) so the further west the better.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Bumping this up for those that might not have seen it yet. Marlene and Lisapico...can you both make the 21st?

snowyshasta, yes we are referring to Papa Haydn's on the Westside and I'm thinking we are getting close to picking a time. Justnotmartha, would 3:00 or 4:00pm be late enough??

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Or, Justnotmartha, do you have a lunch break?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

I didn't even know there was an east side Papa Haydn's :)

We should start the virtual house tour (maybe through e-mail?) so that everyone can have seen everyone else's houses/kitchens...

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Bumping this again for other interested PNW's !

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

and again --are all accounted for?????

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

Yes, I was thinking that we should set up an email to make sure everyone has info, and we can share pictures there, too. Marlene, are you still up for doing organization? I think you had collected a bunch of email addresses.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

Sorry - I've been on vacation! I can usually take a lunch - it just depends on how many appointments I have that day. 3:00 or 4:00 would work well, Lindy.

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

bump

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Looks like we got moved over to Conversations....

Are we all still up for this? I think 3:00pm on Thursday, August 21st at Papa Haydn's sounds GREAT!!

Who is still in? Marlene, did you ever get an email loop going? Mine is lindybarts@aol.com

Lindy

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I am still interested and able to come on that day.

Kimberly

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks for doing this, lindy. Yes, I'm still interested, DD as well, and hoping that rhome's DD and any others might be coming too.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Still thinking of coming and bringing DD.

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

So sad..I grew up in Eugene and spent 40+ years there, and lived in Beaverton for more than a year before moving to NC. I will be in Eugene August 5-12, but can't extend.

Have a great time, folks! Wish I could be there.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

I'll need to double check my work calender Monday, but I'm 99% sure it will be fine. Looking forward to it!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Funny, nan, we moved *from* NC. Too bad you can't make it--it would be fun to share OR/NC comparisons :)

rhome, great!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

nan - wish we could meet you. I am in Eugene and am anxious to meet other PNW GW's.
    Hope your visit here is wonderful.

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

I'm also planning to be there - can't wait to meet everyone!

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

I was talking with Lindy and Marlene - we're hoping to get an email conversation going so we can get to know each other (and our kitchens :-) a little more before the actual meeting.

Anyone interested, please drop me a line (snowyshasta@awoodfamily.com) and I'll include you in a group email.

• uxorial
    15 years ago

I'm planning to be there!

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

Me too!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

SO sorry to have missed you all...DD woke up with a pretty accomplished fever today, so I've been home administering fluids and aleve...*sigh* I hope you all had a great time, toasted me and rhome with a bite of delicious pastry and some espresso, and chatted the hours away...

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Looking forward to seeing photos of you all having a great time, and of your yummy desserts, too! :-)

So sorry, Flyleft, about your daughter. I always think of long term plans as 'tentative,' as I have often had plans changed by some irritating virus or phantom fever. Hope DD is better soon!

• uxorial
    15 years ago

I'm also sorry to have missed the get together. I planned to go, but then on Saturday I got word that my sister had a stroke. She's been in the hospital since (barely responsive), is on a feeding tube, and will probably not be able to walk or talk. She's being moved to a skilled nursing facility on Monday. She's 63 and has always been like a second mom to me.

I just wasn't in the mood to meet new people and be all cheery. Plus, I had some things to do to prepare for houseguests who arrive in two days, and I had a bad sinus headache on top of it all.

I hope you all had fun and took some photos to share with us!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Uxorial, I'm so sorry! I hope your sister is improving. My prayers are with you and your family.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

(((uxorial!))) I will be thinking of your sister and sending energies up your way for both your sister and you.

and rhome, DD is just now getting better--she can play Zoo Tycoon and watch the Olympics but not much else...but it's an improvement and I hope tomorrow she'll be that much better still. Man proposes, children dispose, right?