Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhousefreak_gw

dovetail vs butt/glue/staple joints?

oldhousefreak
17 years ago

Has anyone purchased cabinets with butt joints and staples? We've interviewed 4 local cabinet shops that range from they don't do anything but build the base and drawers and then order doors, to 1 that builds his own doors, but none of them do dovetail joints on the drawers.

I would think dovetail joints would be an industry standard in the cabinet business, but apparently not. Even guys in business for 30+ years only do butt/staple joints.

Lowes is really my only other option to get quality drawer joints locally, but the bottom of the drawers seemed very thin, even with upgrades. We liked a mission style Cross Creek by Kraftmaid cabinet there from the Lynchburg collection.

{{gwi:1548667}}

I can't find any other dealers online that carry Cross Creek and am having trouble finding a Kraftmaid style that is comparable. If I can save some money online for quality cabinets and drawers, that would be great.

We haven't even had quotes come back from the local cabinet makers yet, but I don't see us going with stapled drawers when a dovetail jig should be standard equip in a cabinet shop. One guy didn't even use MDF! Said he tried it once and decided to go back to PARTICLE board. I told my husband, "Let's go. I've heard enough" :-)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!