Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XX1!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 1:22

Hello!

Um, Where are we?

I"m lost from Planet XX. I hope there's more to drink here. The last place kept us very thirsty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part XX of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XX1!

Are the insides of Jet Planes gallery worthy?

No SILLY:;;;;; The Gallery stuff starts outside the plane.

Sigh!

o

Oh, that's what I've been meaning to tell you!!! I was holding my wok upside down in the sunlight today and it really does look a lot more like your blue in the sun.

Yes, of course you can have the bigger TIO as well! I haven't used mine, but it got washed today. That's a rightly directed step.

o
Wait!

Are the insides of Jet Planes gallery worthy?

I guess it depends who's sitting on the seats!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

o
Tengo Hambre

Polly-can I please go to the local Chinese take out guy? Hunger has set in before beddy bye. I lost alot of energy climbing the tree today to escape ya see.

Don't worry I don't do grease. As in Chicken Balls and all the other laughable items.

Vegetable almond on rice-steamed rice.

o

They serve fried chicken gonads?

o

Closed :(

Correction no Chinese.

Say, cous cous and steamed Asparagus!

I can't believe how hungry I am.

Plllog, surely you saved some leftovers for me. I told you I'd be home late tonight.

o

It's Stonyfield non-fat frozen yoghurt and ginormous blueberries, but you can have some. I have plenty extra.

I hope they're just closed for the night?

Bear wrasslin' really works up an appetite, huh?

So they're talking again about solar flares. Not good iPhone weather, that!

o
Retina Power

See Steve's got you dreaming Retina Display. Clever lingo. Well named.

Can I have mine now?

You know, being an Apple guy and getting first dibs. (what a funny word).

Here is a link that might be useful: First Dibs

o
The iPad is getting So Old!

iPad 2 ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedtime Treat

o

iPhone 4 already heating things up.

Here is a link that might be useful: I Said Bedtime!

o

What are you doing up still? Isn't it, like, tomorrow there?

o

Solly, hope you've settled down from your big phone call by now. The next one will be easier, especially since this one went so well. Sorry to say, but there probably will be more of such calls.

Are you dissing General Tso's chicken? That's a favorite of mine. I'm sure there's not much good about it in terms of nutrition, but I enjoy it anyway.

No iPhone for me, I don't need all those additional services and fees. No business to keep in contact with anymore. When I'm away, there's usually wireless service available for the laptop. There's even a screen in my car that locates shops and restaurants anywhere in the country if I need it. No plans to walk around texting everyone that I'm out walking around the mall or some other exciting activity.

More info on my view of the recycled fabric. I was referencing back to a transition phase when recycled fabric content had been used for years in backings and other things that didn't show. When they first starting showing lines with recycled content for the face of upholstery applications they were not that great. The texture was rough and the colors limited to a range only a committed greenie would love. Over time that has changed and all but an expert would be challenged to determine which is the recycled content fabric simply by looking. This is the result of increasing demand and the rising cost of new materials making recycling on par with new. Now you can have a great looking project with recycled fabrics.

That's a very helpful review of the paper napkins, plllog. I had not tried the Seventh Generation because I didn't think they would be that great. The last pack of quality paper napkins I bought turned into linty shreds too quickly for the price. They must be using the short fibers. Thanks for the tip, I will give Seventh Gen a try. For a while we tried our grandparent's method of cloth napkins with a different napkin ring for each, but for everyday paper works best unless we are outside and cloth stays put better.

o

"Are you dissing General Tso's chicken? That's a favorite of mine"

Whoops! No Steff it's the Chicken Balls I don't like or do for humor sake.
It's this amazing round "thing" of batter and somewhere, deep inside that mystic hollow dome is, wait!, a little cat bite morsel of...chicken!

It's just the grease that gets me down. But, that being said, I love Battered fish which Northern Europe does so well.

Steff, next time you're in Germany, if you like fish, Nordsee is the Chipotle of the fish dining. Nothing short of excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilkommen Steff!

o
Late Night At The Copa

Just rolling in for the day-bleary eyed. The Bear tussle seemed to have had me pumped up last night. I was also on the phone with my Supplier at 3 AM waiting for the desperate news of how many days the weaving company will take to deliver our recycled fabric so we can start production. 10 days :(

I promised in The Call to report back today to Major Tom with a precise update of activity on our side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reporting...

o

Sorry Steff, I can even go as far as saying it's honestly worth going to Germany just for Nordsee!

Polly, it's just a weekend drive from the Chateau ya know.

o

Steff, thanks for the fabric info! My fabric knowledge is out of date. I didn't even understand that you were specifically talking about recycled content in fabric. That reminds me of that "leather" stuff that gets to use the word "leather" even though the cowhide content is from dust in the backing, whereas the entire surface is vinyl or something. At least with the recycled stuff it's really stuff that's diverted from the waste stream, whereas, as far as I can tell, the leather stuff just does it so they can use the word.

VERY encouraging to know that recycled fabrics have gotten better. Up to hundred years ago fabric was precious and it was all reused to the very last fiber.

Re the paper napkins, I think I need to be more clear: the 7th G are the short fiber (which is what makes them soft), low quality ones. Not good dinner napkins. Great for got goop on hands, grab paper, wipe off and throw away. Gutsier than tissues but equally disposable. It's the softness of the fibers, thinness and basically low quality that I like about them. :) Unlike Vanity Fair, which are good paper vs. cloth quality, but like cloth require reuse if one is tidy. I don't buy better than that, except sometimes (only sometimes) for company. I'm willing to waste a little for company. :)

o

Huh? It takes a whole weekend? I made it from L.A. to Puget Sound in three days, including a long stop for visiting friends.

o
Recycled

Good points Steff. They carry 100% recycled Polyester clothing in my Customer's stores. It feels exactly like the non recycled.

I'm just praying that my 20% doesn't affect the silky smooth feel of our top product. Even my Supplier is skeptical and cautious and reserving judgement.

Plllog, you won't laugh at our 20% will you? (eyes held low)

o

Okay, now I get the Seventh Generation point. I think it was Vanity Fair that I thought shredded too quickly.

Nordsee is really that good to fly across the Atlantic just for a fish dinner? I remember some good fish dinners in Northern Europe, but I'd have to say they have pretty good fish dinners in the Maritimes also.

o

:-P Fish dinners. Push around plate. Nibble veg if they're not fish infected. Feeling queasy just thinking about it.

Not laughing at the 20% as a reality. Laughing that it's a big deal. As Steff said. Greenwashing. Fine if it's in the small print. Laughable if it's waving its arms over its head shouting lookee lookee recycled we're better don't look at those other guys we're the greenies we're a fifth recycled.

I like popbottle fleece. Good excuse for polyester.

o

"waving its arms over its head shouting lookee lookee recycled we're better don't look at those other guys we're the greenies we're a fifth recycled."

ROTL!!!!

Samll Print!

After all the aggravation of this pathetic BWOT, you better bet you booties or spikees it will be WELL highlighted.

Have I got a story for you! (later)

o
Present For Steff!

Hope you didn't think we forgot about you! Even if I don't play...

Here is a link that might be useful: For Steff

o

For the Computer Girl in the crowd...

Here is a link that might be useful: Girls Do Computers

o

Thanks, nice towel. Terry tee towels are nearly useless. The hook looks like it would stand up to a round or two.

Is that your product?

Of course girls do computers, this one just took the exit off the information superhighway to the two-lane when she retired.

o

Yes, that's our Golf Division.

Along with the Dark Green that you see on the website, we also made the now infamous Dark Blues. Absolutely indestructible, this is the product that has zero planned obsolescence. We also sold these to our Restaurant customers who were proudly (for them) boasting how invincible it was. We have called Golf Club customers who bought these across Canada 3-4 years ago and they still have them and have no need to re-order. Prior to our product, they were changing/disposing their Ballwasher towels at least twice during the season!

Did I hear BIG price increase on the next re-orders? "You Betcha."

Forget the lonely Maytag Repairman, how do you think our poor Order Desk man feels with his Bunny?

o

At first I thought "only twice in a season that's letting them get pretty grungy." Then I remembered that the golf season there is a good bit shorter than here. Golf towels get gross fast especially if Canada Geese are around. Definitely a quality product. I didn't see that on your website.

Do you have many US customers?

o

Ah, but when you do the price increase you have to sound very, very sorry. "Yessir, they're the best. All of our customers report a labor savings from not having to manage supplies of the dark blues, not having to change them out during the season, etc. Unfortunately, we just can't produce them at that special run introductory price. Our clients are very pleased with the durability of these and find that in the long run they save quite a bit, even at the current price. We hope you will too."

Interesting article. Kinda silly. The iPad is very different from a netbook. The latter were invented for poor students in poor countries. They're still great for poor students. Actually for anyone who needs to be able to type comfortably. Also, it's much easier to run peripherals, unless I've misunderstood the iPad. Nope. The excitement surrounding the launch of iPad will have made a noticeable dip in netbook sales just because the iPad customer might have settled for a netbook when there was no alternative. But conversely, the core netbook customer isn't an iPad customer. Lazy journalism makes me crazy.

o

Polly-I'm back on the late night shift!

I fell asleep exhausted from my whirlwind day with the Grizzly Bear at 6:30 in the evening and woke up at 11 PM. Yes that will be just lovely for the body clock.

Needless to say, I'm all juiced up to play tapsies on the keyboard.

Yooo Hooo!

o

I'm here. Thought you'd gone sleepy-bye -- and I was right!

Tip for travellers and revellers. You body clock gets set in the morning. Go out in the sun for half an hour at 10:30 a.m. to set your body to local time.

o

Well?

o

Sorry, I'm back!

Supplier discussion overseas.

But looks like problems here on the site. Message won't load.

o

No prob. Glad it was because you were working, which is why you stayed up anyway. My turn to go to sleep....

o

Sorry, I'm back!

Supplier discussion overseas.

But looks like problems here on the site. Message won't load.

o

So greenwashed fabric is a go?

o
Eco Wise!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Polly you're not supposed to say it too loud.

You're supposed to say:

"waving its arms over its head shouting lookee lookee recycled we're better don't look at those other guys we're the greenies we're a fifth recycled."

Sorry I missed you for the late night tapsies, but the GW site seemed to be jammed. The posts would never go after hitting the send button.

And oh so lovely a night it was thanks to my 5 hour Cat Nap- waking up at 11 PM. I had to kill time all night and ended up watching the Jobs Keynote presentation at WWDC 2010. at 4 AM!

Oh did i mention that I now know how loud the %#@& birds in my backyard are at 5 AM!!! It was like a mini Woodstock Concert outside my bedroom window.

So yes the "recycled" fabric has commenced weaving and we're 10 days away from take off (literally).

Coach Solly Berra walked out onto the mound last night, took the ball from the rookie Pitcher, and signaled for the Veteran Cy Young award winner.

I told my factory, finish this recycled order coming in 10 days, and all further orders in 2010 are to be the standard "evil-non Eco" fabric. My lovely contact squealed with delight and said "REALLY?" Thank you so much Mr. Solly. This recycled has been so much stress for everybody here." Poor girl.

I also finalized the "printed hangtag" to be attached to the actual towel and it shamelessly reads:

Eco Wise (in centre of 3 recycled Arrows circular)

100 % Recycled Polyester

-Reduces energy consumption
-Reduces landfills waste
-Conserves petroleum resources

Adventure Towl is made from 100% Recycled Polyerster-20% total content. using only Azo-Free reactive environmentally friendly dyes. Tested for harmful substances according to OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100. TEST NO SEGO 065205 TESTEX ZURICH.

Yes the Hangtag shamelessly screams the 100% while subtly, but transparently, clarifying the measly "laughable" 20% reality. Yes I'm ashamed but yes I'll "give the people what they want" even if against personal principles.

More significant is the OEKO certification. We're very proud of this as it is a world first in our product category. Official certification that took 1.5 years and $$ to get the Swiss Certificate.

o

Steff- No to date we have not approached the US Market with the Golf Towel.

Part of the decision not to do so is:

A) Physical resources-manpower

B) Profitability in the Canadian Market

As mentioned the re-order rate is so low that there is very little continuity. We also grossly underpriced the product. So, like a superior quality item sold at dollar store prices. It would be like Le Creuset selling cookware at Morganware (Walmart Stainless brand) prices.

That being said, as of this week all prices in our Foodservice Division "mysteriously" went up by 5% or $10/case. July 1st they "may"/will go up another $10 per case.

Fun story. We also produce the world's most advanced glass polishing towel, marketed to fine dining restaurants and wineries for cleaning and polishing wine glasses PERFECTLY to the sparkle a diamond, absolutely lint free, chemical free. And yes! VERY long lasting and machine washable.

So today, a local Winery ordered. The first re-order since their initial order in 2007!! When asked how much they were, we purposely quoted a price that was $80 more than her initial order and her answer "OK, we'll take 200!" Their initial order in 2007 was only 100 pcs! Amazing economics. At higher prices, they'll buy even more!

See what you've done now? You've got Solly on the right track to paying off those Le Creusets. Oh forgot about the Chateau.

Steff-Plllog Am I gonna be getting the big Consultation Fee any day now :)

o
Greenwashing? What's That!

So greenwashed fabric is a go?

ROTL!!! You really crack me up Polly.

Steff, she's very naughty isn't she?

The next thing you know, she'll start calling me Mr. 20%!

o
Attention American Felines!

This is a call from the Northern Command Centre.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT subscribe to the evening Cat Nap Craze that has gripped Canada within the last 24 hours. Doing so will result in compulsory attendance to the famed Full Moon Parties

Here is a link that might be useful: World Famous -KOH PHANGAN

o

Ladies- Will you get away from that TV and stop watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs please.

Sigh;;;; It's not even Hockey without a Canadian team in the Finals!

o
Let's FACE It!

Say! Instead of silly posting like we do, wouldn't it be nice if we could all do FaceTime!

Apple's Face Time may be the biggest revolution in the history of mobile communication since the cell phone. So many have tried but no one succeeded in reaching that futuristic concept.

How cool is that? Just like Steve said, it's like The Jetsons. It's free, it's instant, and perfect quality.

I'm seriously pumped up to have this iconic piece of design mastery. Canada gets iPhone 4 one month after the U S of A. So, a little Grove City PA combo weekend trip could/is in the works. NO WAY am I waiting a month extra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh When You Smiling...

o

The kids look cute on Face Time, but most of the time I'd just as soon not be on camera. That's for the college crowd who sometimes forget that if it goes through the internet, then it's there forever. It does look a lot nicer than the distorted web cams you usually see.

I remember seeing a demo of the Picturephone back in the 1960's and thinking that I would definitely want the option of turning it off. It never really caught on for household use for that reason.

Would you find the iPhone in Pittsburgh? I don't think it would get to Grove City on day 1.

o

Holy torrential downpour Batwoman!

The thirsty Daisies will be dancing tonight.

Plllog's hiding under the sheets but we can still see your toes.

Good point Steff. Actually, better to pick it up in Buffalo on the way to PA.

o

LOL!!!! Sol, at least it's a concert! The 5 a.m. birdies here just say, "MOMMY!!! MOMMY!!! MOMMY!!! MOMMY!!!"

OMG!! What an awful label. Not your fault. But those bears should be ashamed!

You sure have a funny idea about my viewing habits! SYTYCD!

No Face Time. No time for Face Time. Can post/e-mail on one's own schedule. Some of us are working here! But you're right about the futuristic concept. As soon as they make a nano version with a strap we'll be in Dick Tracy-land. That page in your link, however, was trying to crash my computer!! UGH! BAD APPLE!!!!!

Steff, I remember reading some Science Fiction (from before cell phones) where a household communications and media center included face-to-face conferencing where a standard setting was "privacy", and where vocal only calls were the norm. Turn it off to see your grandchild's smile, or to have an earnest conference with your boss, but mostly don't worry about the bed head and ratty T-shirt. Definitely the right way to go.

But then, if it's as accurate as you implied, what a boon it is to the deaf who might be able to speak in ASL (or other sign language) on it.

o

There you are! I've had dinner ready since 4 o'clock this afternoon. Steff finally gave up and just left moments ago.

Ohhh so ya like that lovely Label. You know even bookstores carry variety. Fiction, non fiction, comic, etc. Maybe.. it'll tap into a whole new Market segment! The Twenty Somethings :)

Normally I keep a finished sample of all various productions/versions but even I won't be able to display that on my desk.

I'm interested to see where FaceTime will go.

o
iPad Making Inroads In Asia

This just in!

Apple's iPad, initially viewed as a web entertainment gadget for consumers,
is quickly making inroads across businesses in Asia as wedding planners, luxury hotels, and airlines hookup to the tablet computer.

Apple now gets almost three-fifths of it's revenue outside the U.S. and it's counting on it's base of fans who already own an iPod, iPhone, or Mac to their to add the iPad to their collection as rivals line up with their own tablets.

In Japan, wedding service firm Novarese Inc. is using iPads to show customers video clips of models to help clients choose a wedding dress at it's flagship store in Tokyo's Ginza shopping district. It plans to adopt iPads at seven other stores and it's wedding ceremonial halls.

InterContinental Hotels is equipping concierges at centres including Hong Kong, London and New York to provide guests with recommendations of restaurants, performances and local destination videos.

In Australia, Jetstar, the budget carrier of Quantas Airways, became one of the first airlines in the world to announce it would iPad as part of inflight entertainment. It plans to rent an iPad out for $8 US.

In Japan, Otsuka Pharmaceutical said it plans to buy 1,300 iPads for it's sales reps so they can use it to do presentations more visually and with the latest information.

Amazing!

o

Attention:

Polly

Here is a link that might be useful: Message Center

o

Steff, did you see lzydogrnch's "Tex-Mex" kitchen in the FKB? Turquoise island...

Yep, Sol, that's why my GC was waiting for the iPad as eagerly as you. He can show pictures and plans and all to clients without having to set up a proper demo on his laptop. He can keep them on his server and just display, without having to worry about losing data if it gets stolen, and it's easy to sit together on the sofa and look together, etc.

The InterContinetnal and Jetstar things are just a gimmick. See how cool we are stuff.

I didn't read that whole article you linked because it was old news. The real thing is that OS 4.0 will run on a 3GS so the people who have that can have all the new toys except Face Time (for lack of camera). Whiners.

I qualify for the upgrade, I think. I might do it if I can keep the old one as a Touch.

o

I did see that kitchen and I really liked it. I think we discussed it a while back along with the verdigris. Still have the bathroom as a priority though.

Those are great uses for the iPad, Japanese girls would think it quite nice to select a gown and everything else that way since they mostly rent them. Might be different here.

o

Oh! I don't go to the FKB except to copy the link for others. I guess I didn't recognize it.

So? Bathroom news?

My art group was just discussing iPad (color and zoom) vs. Kindle (no irritating backlight, direct connection to Amazon). A lot of them like the iPad for display of digital art books, though a lot of others want paper they can touch and smell. (Well, it's the ink that smells...)

Have you seen the HP TouchSmart? It's also pretty cool. I considered it for the kitchen, but it's big, and I'd still have to have a cable box...

o
Present For Steff!

Nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Steff's Treat

o

Nice house, thanks. Not much new on the bathroom. We need to go on a tile selection expedition but are in a holding pattern until closing on the other house early next week. I want to check out the tile warehouses because there are usually some great options there.

We have to take the shower apart to see if the plumbing can be moved. I want to cut one wall down to a half wall, but it's the one with the plumbing of course.

We have a lot of projects going on now so it will be good to finalize one.

It seems turquoise islands are very popular and turquoise is the color of the year. Very appealing and appropriate in my area, but I will probably do something just a little different like the verdigris.

o

Likee Likee,

Here is a link that might be useful: Polly's Present

o
Hmmmm

Bathroom Reno?

Here is a link that might be useful: Steff's Present

o

Bafana Bafana

o

Sol, where do you put the toothbrush and what's a bafana?

Steff, I had a whole message ready to go last night when the system update hit and it wouldn't let me post. Leave it as "verdigris sounds good."

o
Bafana Bafana!

Sol, what's Bafana Bafana?

;;;;;; Joburg Silly!

Joburg.

o

Who's Joburg?

o
Sending Out An SOS

This just in....

Sink Crisis! RSP's (Registered Sink Planners) needed for Canadian rescue mission.

Man struggling with size issue (sink).

The options:

1) 24 x 22 White Cast Ceco- single hole Tile In

2) 30x 22 White Cast Kohler Bakersfield Tile In (3 Hole)

30 inch Bakersfield Tile was officially discontinued by Kohler on June 1.
1 left online!

Considerations:

The 25 x 22 advantage-no escutcheon plate-extra 1.5 inch work space (mute point)
The 25 x 22 disadvantage-Could look undersized in front of a 36 inch window

The 30x22 advantage -more sink space- resale, more Wow factor? More proportionate to window? Good for WOK

The 30x22 disadvantage-1.5 inch less workspace (mute point)-escutcheon plate needed

Yikes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sending Out an SOS

o

2010_logo_large

o

You don't need the escutcheon. You can use plugs. They don't stick up.

Kohler sinks are excellent. I know nothing about the other.

Either size sink will look just fine.

o

Thanks Polly. You like the song huh?

OK- I was kind of thinking like you as in we know who and what Kohler is and maybe they use more and tougher enamel. I also remember the Ceco guy telling me all their Cast sinks are from China.

Uhummm. And we all know what I think about Chinese products. So, that should be a hint. Martha Stewart Chinese Cast iron French Oven $65. Le C $265.

"Could" be a difference?

Steff? Would you prefer the bigger one? The 33'' is the full size USA Standard.

o

The Martha Stewart would be a Chinese Oven.

The term for a cast iron covered casserole pot is "Dutch oven". Le Creuset renamed it French because they're French.

You can put big stuff in a big sink, so it's not a bad choice. Just make up your mind one way or the other before it's gone.

o

30" should be enough sink so buy the Kohler already. It's a great product.

My new sink is 30" interior and the window is way bigger. Will go measure, but I have no worries about the sink standing up to the window. Your window is so cool, it will look great with any size sink.

This site has swallowed more than one great post, plllog. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I tend to see where the trends are and go a slightly different way.

o

The Martha Stewart would be a Chinese Oven.

ROTL!!!!! I just got in and saw that opening line and almost fell on the floor.

Thanks Steff for the vote on the 30 incher, glad you liked the window. Would they have those in Grove City? I was in the mini downtown when I was lost and the houses looked pretty cool. Lots of wood siding, like the classic American home.

And yes I've had a few doozies of posts engulfed too. Trends? Well said Steff. Polly you're quite the rebel too ya know. But both of you know better, based on good design/art knowledge.

Plllog- The sink guy is closed until Monday :(

Forgot to tell you guys that when I called Kohler to confirm the discontinued status, I asked the CSR lady how important she considers the sink and what she would get between the 24 and 30 inch. Her answer, that the sink is the first thing she looks at, upon entering the kitchen of a home showing. No wonder she got the job at Kohler :)

That spooked me out a little, which as you know, doesn't take much.
Seriously, I thought maybe the Cabinets, the Appliances, THE TILEWORK ;)
Faucet?

o
Kohler

Further to above.

Kohler lady definitely from -the bigger the better-school. She was the Spooker that spooked me when she talked of proportion to the window. I wonder what a Kohler UK rep would say in the same scenario. This is America and bigger is better. Well, so GM thought!

Say, last night I was killing time at PetSmart reminiscing in front of the African Cichlids tanks. Anyone who has done fish knows that it is a messy, laborious game and would require at least a 30 inch sink.

Plllog, you know the vast open front Foyer of the Chateau? Well....

o
Joburg

Oh Polly, Bafana Bafana is the nick name given to the exciting, young, host South African soccer team in the FIFA 2010 World Cup. What a name, gotta love it!

I hope you're not missing a single game. Steff? The World Cup is really a spectacle. It is unbelievable how this one event can electrify and unite the entire world.

In the last World Cup- Germany 2006, the German birthrate went up 45%!! Imagine if they had actually won.

o

The rep is just trying to sell you. Either will look good with the window. If the window were smaller than the sink it would look funny. Anything from smaller to just under will be fine.

Keeping fish is mean! Except goldfish and guppies which breed like rabbits (to use a weird metaphor for fish) in captivity and don't seem to really mind being in boxes and bowls.

You need a dog.

You can have five or six dogs at the chateau as long as you faithfully clean up after the accidents they have because the door is too far from where you like to sit with them draped across your feet.

Soccer is only fun, IMO, if you're playing. Aussie Rules Football is exciting to watch. I don't have a single clue what they're up to but it doesn't really matter.

I'm tired. No late night tonight.

o

Exactly my thoughts on the soccer. More fun to play than watch.

Grove City is a very pretty small town. If you are asking about the windows, I really don't know that much detail and haven't been back there for a while. DH is from a smaller town 30 miles south. They still have no traffic lights there.

o

Steff I got the Pace Salsa last night from Buffalo.

You and Plllog were right. It's tomatoey, not bad. Completely different though than the President's Choice one that was made in SA. That one was more Casuera. This one is the fresh type.

Do you guys remember a Mexican restaurant chain called Chi-Chi's? Don Pablo's? Both went bust in the Buffalo area.But they were fun places to go.

o

Plllog-what did you mean by "faithfully clean up after them"?

I thought dogs were Self Cleaning like a Miele Oven.

You'll be sooo happy when they slobber all over your face with their luv kisses that you'll some too.

o

Sorry. I don't really know anything about the chains. Used to eat at El Torito before it was a chain. We have lots of really wonderful local Mexican food run by Mexicans.

A hole in the wall joint with good food:
Lone Star Fajita Grill
Category: Tex-Mex
1855 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14216

One guy says this is great:
Edritos Burritos and More
1633 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14216
(716) 836-6106

Fish poop too, and they don't keep your feet warm.

o

Yes I remember Chi Chi's and had dinner at one with friends in Virginia who didn't know the difference. Fajitas were okay but the rice was terrible. I'm picky about the rice. Small, locally owned restaurants are best.

o

Grrrrr..... You and your iron bar in France!!

The 36 cm Le Creuset wok doesn't work with the standard 14" tempura rack! In the UK it comes with it. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

o

Very clever. A California girl that knows the local dining scene in Buffalo. Do I sense a lifelong dream to visit America's Most beautiful City?

Aha, I see someone's been tampering with my former WOK.

Tell us what you made in it Plllog.

o
The Missing Rack!

In the UK it comes with it. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

((Hugs)) It's gonna be OK. We'll start a Petition!

I'll write a letter to Madame Creuset and explain that we are now pretty major shareholders in their Company and are quite disappointed.

Would be interesting to see the response.

Plllog-Why do you do lots of Tempura?

BTW France only sells the WOK in Black. So the color must be a hit.

o
Wegman's We Love You!

Steff- My Wegman's Tortilla Chips are great!

Not loaded with salt like the Canadian ones here.

I'll try the Wegman's Salsa next time.

All their house brands are top notch. I've been buying their 16 oz. bottles of brewed teas which are from Japan and no doubt made by famous Itoen.

Anyone tried them? Really high quality product. Glad I don't have to compete with them :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Itoen

o
Flavorful Japanese Teas Part XX1!

Good bedtime reading.

Quite interesting how they do this.

Here is a link that might be useful: For Tea Lovers

o

Plllog-I'll go to the Le Creuset Canada office near my house and check for you.
Surely they can get it for us.

Stay tuned...

o

Steff!

Check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Present For Steff

o

LOL!! Sol, girls do computers. Those suggestions come from Yelp. Haven't been cooking anything in the wok. Got a Joyce Chen accessory set which came with two racks that don't fit. I don't fry anything, but that's what I wanted the wok most for. I want to make flash fried eggplant. Dip, scoop, set on rack to drain off oil. Much less oil in pot than with flat pot. All mess contained inside wok. Wok is great design for frying tidbits. Though I do adore tempura vegetables, and might do it if I started having success with the frying. I got some high smoke point oil, and I have a candy thermometer. But I need the rack! I looked for a 36 cm online in Canada but all I found was 14". Le Creuset has one for a small dutch oven, but not the wok, though the UK wok comes with one and a paddle spatula. And it costs twice as much to ship a fancy Euro one than to buy it, with no guarantee about it fitting. Maybe my father can stretch the cheap one. I dunno.

Oh! Solly!!! Would you please ask them? That would be wonderful! And you'll need one too!

I made my own tamarind pulp tonight. Big pain. I used it for what was supposed to be a chutney but is more of a sauce, I think. It needs to set for awhile, but it should be good. I think it's too sweet for the enchiladas though...

o

Polly- what's happening in your Tamarind Dep't. Did that stuff settle? If you can get that down pat, it could be the start of our new Chateau Financing Empire. Need a backup in case the Grizzly Bear bolts.

Steff- Are you sure there's not some finger lickin thing that you made and are not telling. C'mon now, fess up.

Hey! I'll tell you mine. Burning a little midnight oil (wonder for Who?) and was hurting for dinner. I made some Lentil curry again in my little Rice Cooker. But, then saw the big PIA of having to empty it out only to start all over again to make rice. So, off I went to Sobey's, saw some fried rice in the ready foods section (disgusting parboiled stuff) Parboiled rice should be banned! I grabbed that and some whipped Sweet Potatoes. I came home, threw all on a nice glass plate, accompanied by a pot of Sencha, and bingo we had a meal.

How do you spell impromptu?

o
T Minus 24...

Update

All is well on Centre Court at Roland Garros. RAFA about to take the fourth set and force a fifth and deciding set. Factory in full swing. (pardon the pun)

Just finished booking air cargo for first shipment to be put on board this time tomorrow night.

o

LOL!!! Sol, we're never going to make a fortune on tamarind pulp! It's yummy, but it's not that yummy. I bought some boneless shortribs today because I think they'll be excellent braised with the tamarind chutney sauce thing.

Your dinner sounds fine...but wouldn't it have been easier to clean the cooker and make the rice already? Or make the rice first and then just reheat it in a flash? Why are you buying rice you don't like? You need a kitchen!

o
Kitchen?

Exactly!

And yes it was humiliating to buy cooked, HORRIBLE PAR-BOILED whatever. I refuse to call it rice.

Yeah, maybe it will take alot of Tamarind pulp sales to snag the Chateau.

Stay tuned for $$ making Plan B.

o
Depressing

I just remembered a fact about Par Boiled "rice".

It has a shelf life of 25 years!!!

Now remember the Yoga teachings- that you want to eat food that is alive and full of life?

Well, need I say more?

o
On Second Thought

Wait a second!

I hope that "stuff" I just swallowed won't be inside my body for 25 years!

o

hey sports fans,

I can't read all your many threads to check, but on the off chance you haven't seen it, here's a rather lovely Mexican kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: tuquoise saltillo kitchen

o

Peanut!

It's so nice and so thoughtful to have you drop by. Thanks so much! Yes those Saltillos are to DIE for. Beautiful. No low budget reno here.

Many wishes and hope you did well in your studies/exams that I think you were tackling? And the cat! It's safe to say that he's not thirsty? LOL!!! That thing cracked me right up.

We're all having fun as always and lucky Plllog is the finished Kitchen Queen on this show.

o

It's not finished....

o
It's All Relative

Compared to me it is!

You're cooking and entertaining, I'm steaming in a rice cooker :(

o

I don't mind "almost finished", but queen sounds like more than finished.

o

Happy Monday everyone!

Say has the concept of Summer arrived in your parts yet?

It's been pretty gloomy here. Rain, cloud, more rain, and well nippy.

Ol man Summer better not forget about us...again! That'll be 2 years in a row.

o

Volcano? Do you have upper atmosphere ash making Winter on you? There was a famous year in the early 1800's when there was no Summer because of a volano erupting half a world away.

It's damp and gloomy here, but that's normal June weather for us.

o

It's damp and gloomy here, but that's normal June weather for us.

Ouch! Your poor head.

Hopefully we can keep you amused with silliness and laughter.

o
News Flash From Mexico!

Just heard from my good friend in Mexico. This is the latest news.

Very Sad.

"Don't worry , in Mexico yesterday there was 85 executions including one Canadian and one American, with rougthly 20% beheading and 80% tortured. Last week a nephew of my neighbor next door was abducted at 50 m from his home ,and a day later the eldest son of the owner of the playa del carmen hotel in Av Juarez two blocks from posada mar caribe, there have been no notice of them.
Local newspapers have stopped reporting death of tourists, don't hurt the business."

o

Oh just noticed above post did not synch well with previous post about silliness and laughter.

Correction, S&L to come.

o

How is that "don't worry"???? I'm sure the FBI would teach them... But aren't the police sometimes in on it?

Very sad.

It's turning into Brazil.

o

He said "don't worry" because I sent him a Bangkok Post article about
some scary stuff there. So his reply was that don't worry, that's nothing compared to the very latest coming from Mexico.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bangkok News Article

o

blue

o

Sad huh?

BTW cute smiley or should I say sadey

o

Don't you have any good news?

o
Plllog Good News!

That was fun! Just got back from Le Creuset Canada

They will do their best to see how we can get the rack. Canada and USA do not include it.

Stay tuned...

o
More Good News!

We stripped another 2 pieces and the outside doorway into the Kitchen.

It's time consuming.

o

Oh, THANK-YOU, Solly!!!!!! What did they say about your bleu?

o

Well, yes, time flies like an arrow. But since you are merely the custodian of this house rather than a consumer of it, it's worth your effort.

o

My Blue is a fake, a fraud! :)

About 2 years ago, they changed from solid blue to a variegated "Cobalt Blue".

Mine is distinctly all one color. Silly me forgot to take the Brasier to compare and because she was closing the office, my focus was more on the Tempura Rack. I might bounce out right now to The Bay Dep't store and see if I can solve this Cobalt puzzle.

If I have 2 year old stock Blue, I'll dump it at Grove City and just wait until the nice Blue shows up.

Will report back later Chief!

BTW: Just made some real Brown rice to go with the leftover lentils from last night. What a relief.

o
What's That? You Want MORE Good News?

OK take this!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Good News

o

Yes! REAL brown rice. I mean, how hard is it to cook rice?

Your blue is not a fraud! Either it's azure or it's another older blue. It says "Le Creuset" cast into the iron, doesn't it?

o

I know, just pulling your leg.

It's real but would like to see what is the new standard Cobalt.

Trip aborted, The Bay no longer carries the line. So much for listening to the Canadian Distributor. You would think they know at least the local Dealer situation. Strange.

o

That was probably a top of the head thing, like, of course, The Bay would have it. They had some at the grocery store and, yes, the current ones have the varied color.

I'm trying to get up the will to toast up some Chinese rice (cooked but redried out in the fridge). Sigh. Guess I should. And saute some veg. But then I'd have to cut it... I could do sliced. That only gets cut one direction...

o
Being Canadian DOES Have It's Privileges

LOL!!! Looks like we're both in Food mode. (boy my tummy's empty).

But here's some more good news! I just rolled in from Sobey's and this trip was far more climactic than lat night's fiasco.

As I strolled down toward the fish counter, I saw this magical sign that said Fresh WILD Chum Salmon .;;;;;;Gasp!

Yes, this is that one magical (as Steve would say) week of the year that we get Wild Chum Salmon in the supermarkets. I make it a point during that week, like a Bear, to fish those straight into my bag and then mouth every single day until the shelves run dry.

Salmon with Black Bean sauce, Salmon Teiyaki, Salmon Dill, Salmon anything!

It gets better...

I then turned the corner to the rice Dep't and after that sour experience last night, lunged forward to grasp a bag of nice, natural, fragrant, Indian Basmati.

And yes that was me doing cartwheels in the parking lot; shortly thereafter.

Plllog, steam that rice if it's dried. Naaah make some new stuff like me.

Ok off to play with my new Chum :)

o

No, no, it was for the enchiladas. Browned with spices, wine and vegetable juice. Hacked up the pepper and onion. Threw in a few petit pois. Didn't have the oomph to make the sauce, but had a can. Then I'm goopily making 'em finally and find out that they're half a dozen thick tortillas, where I thought they were a dozen thin ones! So I zapped one enchilada for dinner (the Le Creuset stoneware was excellent for that! Much better than on a plate). So now I've put the rest and the stuff all in the fridge until I can buy more tortillas. These are the ones that were supposed to be tacos with tamarind before the sauce got too sweet. The good news is that the one I had was tasty, at least. By the time I have enough done to freeze they'll all be gone. :)

giggle News at 11:00. Ontario man goes loony (not to be confused with looney) over waild salmon and starts turning cartwheels uncontrollably. Fish have last laugh. hee

BTW, there are all kinds of lovely things you can make from leftover rice! It's very tolerant. Only throw it away when it's that pre-cooked weird stuff.

o

LOL!! "pre-cooked weird stuff"

A.k.a Par Boiled Rice Syndrome

o
Did You See That?

I made the 11 o'clock news! Yooo Hooo

And now?

Shamelessly licking my chops on the riverbank while bloated from the Salmon heist.

Say Polly, wouldn't it be funny if I actually camped out tonight in the Sobey's parking lot waiting for tomorrows's new Salmon shipment?

o
Furthermore

Wonder if a wife would believe a story like that.

Honey you'll never believe it but ...

o
Pssst...

Yorry tummy fully nowwy?

Minee toee :)

o

Toe?

Nah. A wife might believe you were camping for a new Star Trek movie, but not fish. Unless you took her with (complete with nice camping van inc. potty) and plied her with good wine and goodies.

o

Did you mean an emphatic non?

As in ne parle pas, ne parle point?

Not a step, not a toe?

o

Let me get this straight. In the middle of a supermarket parking lot, with a camper trailer, and a potty? A potty?

And chucking Ferrero Rocher wrappers out the window?

Sounds like a loooong night ahead.

o
Well!

Nightee Nightee.

And no, I DO NOT wear those.

o

LOL! No, Sol, not a trailer. The potty has to be indoors. Difference between women and men. We demand indoor facilities.

Note the van on the left. See the breakfast bar! (Bad space plan but very amusing...)

van

mini

breakfast bar

o

Ha!

A "problem" every business wishes it had.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pre-order problems!

o

So silly!! I can hang loose. Stay away. Bide my time. And get 4.0 at the same time as the sheep. :) But first I need to make sure that the new one won't crash my computer and things like that.

BTW, that truck mounted motorhome in the middle looks like a great hang out in line type of vehicle. It's the same size as a regular truck, comfy sit down area, decent little kitchen area with a proper fridge, and the most important potty. :) You can even shower in a pinch. :)

o

I just wanted to get us first dibbs on the Chum Salmon but I see you've got the itch-to travel.

OK I'll cancel your Joburg reservation and put the chips on the camper.

It was actually freezing 2C in today's Brazil-Korea game. Go figure. Africa-freezing! Poor Lions.

o

Stripping!

Unglamorously.

o

A little cold weather would be nice here although the really hot weather has yet to arrive this summer. We've only hit 97oF/37oC for a high and not one triple digit yet. All in all we seem to be on track for a record cool summer after one of the coldest winters on record.

AT&T wants our cable/internet business but they can't make their commitments to Apple work. We'll keep shopping around.

Closed on the house sale this morning, celebrated by stopping in at the Le Creuset outlet. They had the black Tagine on display. I don't need a Tagine, but it is a beauty. Didn't buy anything this time either, I think I'll go back to W-S outlet.

o
Hurray Steff!!

Congrats Big Smiley Face Pictures, Images and Photos

So happy for you!

o

Steff,

Don't mind Plllog hiding. She's in the Kitchen baking your favorite cake. German Black Forest!

I hope you and DH did something special tonight to mark the moment of relief.

o

Nah ah!! It's a chicken!! And short ribs. And the enchiladas are in the freezer (got the tortillas). Much work to be done this week. Have to get all the fresh stuff cooked!

Sol, it's not about camping! It's about having the proper equipment for waiting in line! Those are urban vehicles, not meant for serious, long term on the roadishness.

Steff, CONGRATULATIONS!! Growing up in real estate (commercial), I learned at a young and tender age that escrow is not a sale. Closing with the money deposited is. It sounds like you did very well on that house. Good for you!

I'm so out of the loop! What commitments aren't AT&T keeping with Apple?

So, you want that tagine in Sonoma Green, huh? Did you know they actually make two sizes? I learned that when I was looking for the wok rack.

o

Pssst Steff,

Don't tell Plllog but I've gone shopping to pick out a very special gift for her.

o

Polly,

It's OK to open your eyes now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's New Vuvuzela

o

Cute, but this kind is more decorative.

horn

o

What on earth is THAT!

Ya see, I got a nice authentic Vuvu from Joburg; just for you. I thought it would be music for your ears when I play it for you first thing in the morning. Kind of like an exotic wake up call.

o
To All The Girls

Steff- I picked one up for you too.

o

That, dear sir, is an authentic Yemenite style shofar. The authentic, natural African ancestor of your plastic yard of tin. It is the contribution of an antelope called the kudu. As you say, it is the morning music, for the call to prayer. Nowadays it's only sounded for the month leading up Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year), every morning except the Sabbath. It's also sounded in daily services during the 10 days of the New Year period (except the Sabbath).

kudu

o

natural African ancestor of your plastic yard of tin :(

;;;;;; Sniff Sniff

But mine is Eco Wise, made from genuine 100% recycled Johannesburg tin!

And it's a collectors item! The defining symbol of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

o

Steff- Was it the Round Rock store of Le C. ? Just wondering if you ended up seeing French Christophe.

Yeah that Tagine sure sounds nice. BTW quite a few Morrocan Restaurants in downtown TO.

Something nice about Black huh? In my Grove City store, they had a Red one that looked hot.

o

Nothing un-eco-wise about a horn horn. It's grown. I thought the article said the football ones were plastic?

Steff, is your cold related to the volcano? (Just curious about volcano weather...)

o

P.S. The yard of tin (like the bugles they play at racetracks) used to be used by the guard on a stagecoach (at least in England) to alert the ostlers to open the gate!

o

I did it guys. It's official!

I just bagged the last 30 inch tile edge White 3 hole Kohler sink in the United States of America. I hope your President will thank me for supporting your economy because mine won't be too pleased with me :)

So, the question is...what color sink strainer basket? I have NO idea. Stainless, White, Tuscan Bronze? Nickel?

o

thought the article said the football ones were plastic?

Umm, you're right.

Correction Eco Wise- made from genuine 100% recycled Johannesburg plastic!

o

Thanks for the congrats Solly and plllog. We waited up to check the account for the wire transfer and also verified the amount before going to bed and sleeping nearly nine hours. Banks have gone from one extreme to the other on mortgages, so it was definitely not over until the money transferred. I did know someone who backed out of a home purchase during the closing so it does happen. We met the buyer on the way out and they are quite nice and looking forward to enjoying the house. They loved the kitchen especially.

The LeC outlet I visited this time is in Cypress, TX near Houston. Not a lot different from the other two, but we were in the area. Round Rock is a location that I don't often visit, but it does have the draw of being across from Ikea.

I don't think the volcano is affecting our weather yet or at least I haven't heard anything on the local forecast about it. It's about five degrees cooler in the day and then about the same amount warmer at night than average. Not exactly what most people would call cool since we are near 95o most days.

We were living in Wyoming when Mt. St. Helens erupted and I remember the dark cloud going over for days. You can see forever there and we could see it curve and follow the wind patterns. It also left a yellow sulphur film on everything.

I heard those horns on the news first thing this morning. Talk about a wake up call, really noisy.

Today is a day to relax and then back to focusing on this house.

o

Steff! what a cross post! I was sending while you were typing.

Glad the Morning After feels good. Wow, sounds like it was a real on the edge of your seat thriller this house closing.

Hence the saying "until the money's in the bank".

We got sun today, but quite warm blazing into 25 and 29 on Friday.

LOL!!! on Plllog's new plastic Vuvuzela. Can you just imagine one of those blown into your ear...first thing in the morning? I guess it certainly sets the tone for the rest of the day-pardon the pun. BTW. the teams called FIFA to ban them. On Monday FIFA ruled that melodic hum of the Vuvuzela is a cultural attribute to this World Cup. And I wholly agree.

Just imagine 100,000 of them blowing in synch for 90 continuous minutes :)

Ouch. Plllog's poor head.

I think she might prefer Kruger National Park.

o

Glad it's warmed up for you up there and you are enjoying the noise from the World Cup.

Plllog asked about the AT&T issue. They were trying to take upgrade preorders for the new iPhone online but the AT&T systems overloaded and they couldn't access the existing customer info. Apparently there are also a lot of user complaints about the current AT&T iPhone service.

CNBC just interviewed an AT&T executive and he outlined planned updates to their systems. He also said that their voice quality is much improved now. Since I don't use the iPhone, I can only go by these types of stories.

o

Thanks, Steff. I was just curious being out of the loop as I am. I've given up on newspapers out of exasperation but now I never see the news because I forget to look. The NTTimes app on said iPhone is quite good, but one has to actually read it! I did hear about the pre-order problem, but didn't realize it was AT&T that bogged down. As to service, when I bought my iPhone they first did a very specific search because they weren't allowed to sell it to anyone who didn't have good AT&T service at their homes. It works really well in the parts of California where I've been and in Phoenix. I'll take their word for it about the voice quality. The device itself isn't that great a phone, but I don't use it for voice enough to notice the improvement on voice. What is nice about the AT&T plan is that it's monthly pricing: Unlimited voice, fees, service, phone, etc., for price X per month, add unlimited data for price Y, add unlimited text for price Z. I have voice and data. There's no nickel and dimeing, no minutes to count, no billing to review. The only thing that changes, and only by a few cents at a time, is the tax. LOVE that. (Little things give me great pleasure.)

And, Sol? Good for all of the PTB for keeping their heads and not taking away a whole country's horns! I remember when everyong got weird about the thundersticks here, and they were only a fad, not a cultural icon.

o

Oh-Glad you don't mind me blowing you with your new vuvu. I promise to practice until I get it down pat.

OK neat story to share. Mexican.

Just got off the phone with my good friend there and he said why don't I go to Mexico to visit instead of him coming here. My answer, violencia.

He then laughed! Only to remind me that I was the King of Fearlessness. I thought, "man you got the wrong sucker in a NYPD suspect line."

So I inquired. He then recounted an incident 15 years ago in Varadero Cuba in a Hotel Lobby when a BIG fight broke out between an Italian tourist and a Cuban, police arrived, began shooting guns, everyone went down, my friend and another ran behind the front desk, while me and the other remaining friend of our group of 4 stood right in the open (no one else in sight) between the fighting Italian-Cuban and the shooting Police!

I kid you not, I had absolutely NO recollection of this Hollywood style movie. What a shame!

Hence he was surprised that I would be worried by a few stray bullets from a Drug Cartel war with police in Mexico.

He's asked me if my uncle was German Mr. Alzheimer :(

o

Wow, amazing you don't remember that incident. I remember being in Nuevo Laredo with friends at the Cadillac Bar during the revolution back in the '70's and wondering what all the machine guns were for. Didn't even see any shooting.

The drug war in Mexico claimed an additional 96 victims in 24 hours from Monday into Tuesday this week. The total is nearly 23,000 in three years. There are no statistics on tourists, but things seem to be out of control and spreading around the country. More and more Mexican families are buying homes in Texas for safety. We have always enjoyed Mexico, but would not go there again until things settle down.

o

Stef-After my first letter that I posted a couple days ago, I replied to my friend with the words "Is it really true?"

I then got this reply!

"Not only it is true but it was even worse yesterday with 102 casualties in Mexico ,a lot more than Irak and Afganistan together,world governements are keeping it very quiet, because they are all interested in petroleos mexicanos ,and other mexican bussinesses ,but it is really too big now to hide what is a real civil war ,in the last two years almost one thousand children have been killed ."

This is very sad for Mexico.

Unfortunately, America must bare blame. This is the sentiment of even the Academics in Mexico.

Drugs have forever been an integral part of Mexican society. The Cartels have been virtually transparent with government "co-operation". Everybody is happy. Gov't makes a little cash. The Cartels have a flowing business. The general public remains safe and lives in harmony.

Then Uncle Sam, to whom Mexico is DEEPLY indebted to; and to this day, is financially supporting Mexico (since the PESO collapse crisis 1995) steps in with a little Blackmail of "shut down your Cartels" or else no more Dinero from us.

American Puppet Fellipe Calderon, mindlessly, takes the dare from Washington and sacrifices his own innocent people to please Washington.

And how long is this going to continue to appease America? Will it be another Iraq where 1.5 million Iraqi lives were lost since the invasion. For what? For political aspirations.

Mexico is much closer to home for me and really you in bordering American states. But to think that one day one of my many dear and good Mexican friends, along with the now tens of thousands already killed, could also become casualties is extremely disturbing.

In the name of Mexico, I hope Felipe Calderon will stop being a Washington Puppet and honor and respect the lives of the people whom he was elected to serve.

Sad.

o

Mind you Steff, I have always wondered why I had some missing flesh off my deltoids. Maybe it wasn't the scrubbing too hard with my loofah :)

Just kidding. I have always maintained that it was the most enjoyable 21 days of my entire life, bar none. And I guess, so much good happened; that somehow, that cowboy style wild west incident was erased from my hard drive.

The Mexican friendship was so funny in how it emerged. Ya see I arrived in CUBA where not a word of English was spoken. Only your Tour Rep, whom you can see for 1 hour each morning in the Hotel.

So, it got lonely-fast! I couldn't even talk to uhummm.... So one morning, at the beach, while bronzing, one of this group of 3 Mexican Boys approached me for the time in English. Shocked I asked where they were from and being Mexican this was not only my new private translation team but what developed into the Fab 4 and a lifetime friendship to this day.

Needless to say, as of that day, the Cuban holiday went into overdrive. :)
It also didn't hurt that Cubans love Mexicans.

One week upon return to TO, I immediately began Spanish Language Lessons and the rest as they say, is history.

o

I definitely don't agree that the situation has been kept quiet as we have been seeing this violence on our news almost every night for years. Talk about blackmail! There are Drug Cartel kidnappings and murders here and we should just look the other way and pay off the Mexican government? For how long? We are already deep in serious debt here and the 1995 Peso collapse was just one of many in my lifetime and surely will not be the last unless they can get a handle on this problem. To continue to fund corruption in Mexico would be to ignore the thousands of shattered lives and deaths caused by drugs on both sides of the border.

Interesting story about Cuba, that you would travel there without a word of Spanish. At least you have taken the time to learn a little to help with your travel. Spanish is required in our schools for six years and is not considered a foreign language. Of course, I wish I had worked harder at it now.

o

Mind you Steff, I have always wondered why I had some missing flesh off my deltoids. Maybe it wasn't the scrubbing too hard with my loofah :)

Just kidding. I have always maintained that it was the most enjoyable 21 days of my entire life, bar none. And I guess, so much good happened; that somehow, that cowboy style wild west incident was erased from my hard drive.

The Mexican friendship was so funny in how it emerged. Ya see I arrived in CUBA where not a word of English was spoken. Only your Tour Rep, whom you can see for 1 hour each morning in the Hotel.

So, it got lonely-fast! I couldn't even talk to uhummm.... So one morning, at the beach, while bronzing, one of this group of 3 Mexican Boys approached me for the time in English. Shocked I asked where they were from and being Mexican this was not only my new private translation team but what developed into the Fab 4 and a lifetime friendship to this day.

Needless to say, as of that day, the Cuban holiday went into overdrive. :)
It also didn't hurt that Cubans love Mexicans.

One week upon return to TO, I immediately began Spanish Language Lessons and the rest as they say, is history.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here