Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_vincent_gw

Who remembers...

bill_vincent
15 years ago

All the old timers that used to hang out here? Everyone knows Paulines and me because we still post here pretty regularly. But what about people like weed, colo_lady, athomedad, Claire_de_Luna, Lowspark, Mindstorm, Monicakm (who pops in from time to time, but spends more time these days in the bathroom forum), Mizzou_KX, MsAzadi, just to name a few!!

I believe there were times when most of us spent more time on THIS side of the kitchens forum than the serious side!!

Comments (104)

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Still waiting. I called and left a voicemail with the realtor last night, and still haven't heard from her yet. We'll see. :-)

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Bill, I'm crossing my fingers and thinking good thoughts for you. I hope you can tell us soon that you're buying a house! (I absolutely love it BTW...Good luck to you.)

• paulines
    15 years ago

Bill, any word? I'm hoping your noticible lack of presense here means you're busy with other things....like buying a house?

Hey Luna!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I called the realtor over the weekend and was told if she'd heard anything good or bad, she would've called. Basically don't call us, we'll call you. To say I'm disappointed in the lack of even mediocrity is an understatement.

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Bill, you could also look at this as ''No news is good news''. I have the belief that if it's meant to happen, it will. Just look...I think your second choice is much better than your first! If this doesn't happen, it may be there's an even better choice...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you hear something soon.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Claire, I agree that if it's supposed to happen, it will. I'm just getting the feeling it's not supposed to. In my mind, I keep hearing Garth Brooks' song "Unanswered Prayers". There's 5 days left on the offer. After that, it'll be rescinded, and then we're done looking for now.

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

I'm keeping good thoughts for you! Please let us know when you hear something one way or the other, Bill.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Nice to see this. Here is where I first got up the courage to put myself out there into the cyber world. Aside from all the help I received, ( and I did/do feel selfish being a taker more than a giver)I just loved the way strangers reached out so willingly to help others. These forums do restore faith in the genuine 'niceness' of people. Though I never share much about myself, I have loved getting to "know" so many of you!

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Who remembers momj47's ideal dishwasher? She posted that right after I found GW (a year after completing our build). I spewed coffee on my keyboard.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

RE: Bar Harbor and places to stay. We stayed here last year and had a wonderful time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivy Manor Inn and Michelle's

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Talk about all or nothing!! I finally heard from BOTH realtors- one yesterday, and one today concerning the two houses we've looked at. The house we put the offer in on last week-- all offers were refused by the bank, and they asked each of the three parties to submit their best offer by this morning. So we bumped it, and sent it in. This afternoon, the people who'd gotten their offer in just under ours on the first house we looked at (the one right next door to where we live now)-- their financing fell through, and now the realtor emailed us (at 2pm) to let us know we had till 4 pm to let her know if our offer was still valid. I'm waiting to see what happens with the other house, first. Obviously, there's not alot of action on the house next door, so we'll see what happens next in this continuing saga!!

Heck, this is starting to sound like some of the KITCHEN stories I've heard in here!! LOL

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

When it rains, it pours!!! Good luck and may the best house win! :-)

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And so it begins. We sent in the offer on the house next door first thing this morning. Got a counteroffer by 11 am. Gave them a second counter 20 minutes later with a "take it or leave it" trailer. So now we're still waiting. I got home from work, and what does my wife have sitting on my chair?? A SUBZERO/ WOLF CATALOG!! Did one of you sneak that in to her?!?!?!?

:-)

• paulines
    15 years ago

Bill, are you negotiating with the bank? Curious as I've heard that could be notoriously slow & that doesn't seem to be the case?

Your wife has great taste! Wishing you the bestest!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great taste??? Hell, Those appliances cost more than what I'm offering on the house!!! :-0

As for the bank, yes, we are. I was kind of surprised, as well. We're kind of in the drivers seat, though, for two reasons. First, this is a cash deal, so they don't have to worry about the deal falling through. Secondly, the biggest problem with this house as it sits right now is that it's an energy PIG. I think I already stated above that last year, it went through over 2000 gallons of heating oil. Now, do you think the bank has ANY interest at all, in sinking another $10K into the house just to keep the pipes from freezing? The people who gave up the house moved out last march. The offer that slid in just under mine was the very first offer they'd had on it, and it fell through. Time's tickin, and so's the money counter. When we presented our counter, I made it very clear that this was a take it or leaved it offer, and it DOES have a time limit on it. If they want to heat it over the winter, that's fine with me. But if I'm going to get in there and make the repairs that have to be made to make it more energy efficient (changing out all the windows and insulating the place), I need to get going on it soon. Won't be long before the snow's flying. September's only a couple of weeks away!

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Bill, I have a feeling that you're about to own a house right next door! That will certainly make working on it convenient, and walking away from the mess and sleeping in a clean environment is a GOOD Thing! (Ask me how I know. Or rather, don't, since I don't want to relive it, even in memory.) I hope you hear from them very soon...Good luck! (Your house reminds me so much of the old farmhouse we rented when we were first married. Of course we rented the place, so only made ''improvements'' up to a point. It was a lovely place to live, even though we covered the windows with clear thick plastic and lath, and heated it with logs of hedge/osage orange we cut on the place and fed into a wood stove/furnace in the LR. I remember always looking towards the house from a distance as I drove home, for smoke coming from that direction, hoping the place hadn't burned down! With our winters which are mild compared to yours, we would burn four cords of wood a year, which we cut ourselves. I still miss the fresh eggs from our chicken house. Oh, Memories...I hope you'll be making some new memories for yourselves very soon!)

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. My wife and I were talking yesterday, and got a good laugh, thinking about when it comes time to move-- we're going to look like army ants going down the sidewalk from one house to the other!! LMAO

Still haven't heard anything yet, but I guess that's a good thing-- means they're considering it.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I finally got word this afternoon. They dropped another 1K. I sent word back that I'm standing firm. My offer's good for 48 hours. After that, I'll take silence as a rejection and the offer's null and void.

We'll see.

• californiagirl
    15 years ago

Been gone and just checked in. Exciting stuff -- I just know Bill's going to get a new house. My fingers are crossed for you!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like we're getting it. :-) I'll get official confirmation monday morning, but that's what I hear "on the grapevine". :-)

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Congrats to you and your family. Sounds like perfect timing!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perfect timing is right. I recently did some work in town for a contractor whose cousin did the appraisal on the place for the bank. His cousin is also very familiar with inspectors who've looked over the place, so this morning I called that contractor to get his cousin's phone number and get some names. When I told him which property it was he told me that was disappointing news-- he was going to put in an offer on monday!

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Doesn't it feel great when stuff falls into place?

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It will once all the energy efficiency stuff is done, and I can kick back and watch tv in my living room. :-) I have a feeling that in a few weeks, I'm going to be kind of scarce in here for a couple of months!

• paulines
    15 years ago

Party at Bill's house ~ whoo-hoooo!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wear stained jeans and old shirts!! If they're not when you get there, they WILL be by the time you leave!! LMAO

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Oh, YAY!!! Congratulations! (Or should I reserve this for the final word?) ANYWAY, I'm so happy for you! Now...not to rush the cart before the horse or anything...you're going to want to find the right person to rent the house next door when you're done with it, since you're going to eventually have a new neighbor!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny you should say that. I saw my landlord today, and told him what's going on, and that I'm waiting on confirmation from the bank, but I'm pretty sure about the whole deal. I told him that although we're looking at a closing date of 9/15, that we probably wouldn't be out till 10/31 because of all the work that has to be done. His reply-- Sorry, but I need you out by the end of september. matter of fact, why do you have to wait till the 15th? Why can't you close next WEEK, being it's a cash deal??? I asked him what the hell ever happened to 30 days notice!! All of the sudden now, I'm screwing him over because now he has to rent the place out just before winter. I'll tell ya-- if I didn't know it would cost me a 1000.00 security deposit, I'd be out of here by tuesday with no notice whatsoever, and live out of a hotel room for the next few weeks!!

• paulines
    15 years ago

Lots on your plate now Bill, how's Kathleen coping? I don't know if you still have my phone #, but tell her to feel free to give me a call, if she has any kitchen remodel questions!

You know I'm busting to help you design your new kitchen!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When the time comes, I promise, you'll be involved. But for right now, the money has to go to other things, like almost 20 new thermal windows to replace all the ORIGINAL windows (from 1900), insulating the whole building, updating some of the electrical.. LITTLE things!! :-) For now, I'm just going to do enough to make the kitchen operable and "cozy", starting with taking out the vinyl asbestos tile and subfloor, and replacing it all from the joists up.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're now officially under contract. :-)

AND SO IT BEGINS!!

• sjerin
    15 years ago

Congratulations, Bill!! Enjoy your new place and may the move be smooth and easy.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. It's not going to be either-- there's going to be alot of work to do here very shortly, and as usual, not NEARLY enough time or money to do it, but we'll get it done. Like I just said in a thread on the other side, nothing worth anything's easy!!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were closer to us, we'd be glad to drop by in old jeans and T's to help out. It would be the least we could do for someone who's given so much to all of us!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're all set for inspections. The bank won't turn on or even ALLOW US to turn on the electric or water, so I'm going on people who know the house and people who lived there before. I'm still going to have a plumber come in and pressurize the pipes with a compressor so atleast I know for sure there are no pipes that froze and busted. The previous owner left at the end of march, but we still had some below freezing days in april, so I just want to be sure, and I get the feeling the bank's hiding something. I've NEVER seen a house-- even another foreclosure-- for sale that didn't atleast have the power turned on!

Anyway, the plumber, a septic system inspector, and a general building inspector will be here monday morning. So here goes nothing!! Last hurdle!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Fingers remain crossed!!!!

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

I want to hear what the inspection turns up! Don't forget inquiring minds want to KNOW, Bill! Good luck and positive thoughts are flying your way...

• paulines
    15 years ago

Good luck today, Bill!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens. Everyone should be next door in about 1 1/2- 2 hours.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We got the Septic inspector's report last night. Back to negotiating. Leach fields are pretty well gone. :-( Still waiting for the build inspector's report.

• KarenintheUK
    15 years ago

I remember you all, my kitchen refit (Ikea adel birch, Indigo walls) was 3(?)yrs ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ixia/DSCI0116.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ixia/kitchen45.jpg

Well, we had an offer accepted on a house today, 1880s, end terrace and guess what? It needs a new kitchen! But it also needs a new roof, so priorities need to be considered :D. I'm browsing for ideas already.

I also remember Flyleft, who had another ID that I can't remember and JenintheUK. I was inspired by Fairegold's kitchen and also fell in love with someone's swirly grey granite - Bernice maybe?

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

WOW! What indigo is that? I love it.

• colo_lady
    9 years ago

HI BILL! What a random thing, for me to find this post as I stopped in here looking for photos of my kitchen. Just wanted to say HI! Hope all's well. This thread ended in 2008 - yikes - I am a REALLY OLD timer! :-)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Can't believe I pulled up this thread by doing a word search. I remember all those names and more since I've been in and out of here for 12 years (class of 2002) :) First the kitchen, then the master bath/master bedroom, LR to Dining conversion and more and now the hall bath. A person can get lost for hours and hours in all the invaluable information on THS. Bill, are you still around?

• colo_lady
    9 years ago

Hi Monica! Are you remodeiling your bath now? Do you still love your kitchen? I still love mine - it looks the same and it still feels special and new. I can't believe how many years ago I was transfized to this website, gathering as much info as I could and sharing the pain and joy of remodeiling the kitchen.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Hi colo_lady! We're remodeling my husband's bathroom. Mine was done in 2007. Do I still love my kitchen? I do. There are things I would have done differently had I had time to learn more and discover I had more of a selection. It was the one remodel (and as of now we've redone every room in the house) that was unplanned (hot water heater leak). So I didn't have the luxury of time. The one thing we didn't change in the kitchen was the cabinets. After DH's bathroom and the house is paid for (again) next year, I'm hoping we can reface the kitchen cabinets. Also in 2007 we removed the wall between the kitchen and LR and turned the LR into a large dining room and added a peninsula between the two rooms. LOVE that!!! GW is a wealth of knowledge but man oh man, if you're an over analyzer like me, you can spend HOURS and HOURS at a time, ignoring everything and everyone (LOL)
    Do you know if Bill is still around? I've been back on the forums for at least 3 months and haven't come across any of his posts (except this one started back in 2008).

• colo_lady
    9 years ago

Frankly, I'm never in here poking around, so I can't say whether or not Bill is around. Here is his email - you should drop him a line!
    billvincent@hotmail.com
    Tell him HI from me! :-)

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took a break for a while. (truth be told, I got bounced for getting really obnoxious with some people in another forum). But I made peace with the powers that be, and here I is. :-)

• kellysar
    9 years ago

Bill - So glad to see you're back!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me too. :-)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review