Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who remembers...

Posted by bill_vincent (billvincent@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 0:22

All the old timers that used to hang out here? Everyone knows Paulines and me because we still post here pretty regularly. But what about people like weed, colo_lady, athomedad, Claire_de_Luna, Lowspark, Mindstorm, Monicakm (who pops in from time to time, but spends more time these days in the bathroom forum), Mizzou_KX, MsAzadi, just to name a few!!

I believe there were times when most of us spent more time on THIS side of the kitchens forum than the serious side!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who remembers...

I remember quite a few of those names- not so long ago. Quite few have been on the cooking forum this past winter. So I am an oldtimer then??? who knew

o

Hey Coop-- you've been around for a while, too!! Couple more that came to mind-- Reno_Fan, who still comes around, and Paige_Ct. I'm sure there are a BUNCH that're gonna wanna slap me upside my head to "jog my memory", and to them, I apologise-- it's that CRS syndrome thing!!

o

Bill, I remember almost every one on your list. What a great bunch! I guess it's not surprising to find that some are now spending time on the Cooking forum. Hope to get there myself eventually. Maybe there should be new f-rum called "Spa" for folks who've finished their dream baths.

And since you may have missed my last posting elsewhere before it d-l-eted this morning (don't know what the "trigger" words are, but maybe m-d-rator and D-sney are among them), let me quote myself about you, among other nice things I tried to say about contributors like Starpooh:

"And I've thanked the pro KDs earlier for their participation here, but very special thanks should also go to Bill Vincent, the emperor of tile masonry. Bill monitors several threads at GW and responds like a hero to pleas on every one of them. He is so helpful, including and especially to DIYers, and Bill is always a gentleman. His work, as we have all seen, is gorgeous. I have never seen Bill post about clients in the unprofessional way we discussed in the other thread, only in a way that offers helpful insight into the minds and businesses of our partners in the building and renovating process."

o

I saw the post before the thread was pulled, and I thanked you very much. :-)

o

Yes, once the kitchen is done, people should move over the the Cooking Forum, there's a lot of the "old regulars" over there, friends you'll recognize, and some wonderful new friends too.

They kind of hold your feet to the fire - got a great new kitchen, now use it! Great recipes, great food photos, great advice and great fun.

o

I do! I still get wonderful assistance with non-kitchen things from my friends here. I don't post much now but I have fond memories of my obsessive days on the forum :)

I also remember a certain tile expert who used to post great pictures of himself in various fishing locales...

I keep meaning to check out the cooking forum but I'm almost afraid of again finding something that will draw me to the computer all day long!

o

Here I am! I migrated to Cooking -- which is a WONDERFUL forum with loads of great people including many who started here. I hung around for a while after my kitchen was done but then I swore off KF for a while... but ended up coming back. I don't post a WHOLE lot here but put in my 2 cents occasionally.

o

Hi Bill! I remember and here I am! I check in (pretty regularly) but don't always feel I have much to contribute these days. (I'm feeling like a slug...or a bug in a rug.) It seems that mostly what I have to do with Kitchens these days is cleaning mine. Although I post very occasionally, I don't start them much anymore. I kind of miss the ''old days'', and although I enjoy the Cooking forum and going there for cooking inspiration, it's not quite the same. I think I'm as burned out on being helpful as I am about remodeling! Also, (though horribly opinionated!) I'm no cooking expert, so my contributions aren't really worth much, although I like bumping into my old friends over there. (Thanks for the shout-out anyway...it's nice to be among those who are remembered!)

Should we have a reunion?

o

Should we have a reunion?

It's a nice thought! That's for sure! It's great to see you folks, even if it's just peeking in for a minute!! Here's to hoping life finds you and your families in great shape!!

o

These are all the people I remember came before me - and advised me on my kitchen!! Seeking - don't you have the built in KA fridge? I go to the Cooking Forum some but I've never really gotten into it. I just don't have time to get into cooking and baking to the extent those folks do so I'm kind of a fringe element over there. Plus I try to cook and eat healthy which is usually not a topic of conversation in the Cooking Forum.

I'm kind of curious what people think about their new kitchens years later - how they're holding up - etc. How long the thrill of the new kitchen lasts....

o

I "know" most of the people you mentioned! We've been done with the kitchen reno since last summer (finally posted those finished kitchen pics this past February!), but I still check in daily to get my "fix!" LOL

Hey, it helps me drag my heels on the bathroom renos....!

o

Gibby, I'm still thrilled with my ''new'' kitchen, now that it's years later! I think it's holding up quite well, and although I'd daresay it's now probably outdated...ask me if I care!

It's so very nice to have a pleasant room that is such a pleasure for me to work in. The best part is the pain of remodeling is happily a (somewhat) faded memory!

o

Three and a half years later, my kitchen is still brand new to me! I love it as much today as I did when I first started using it. And... I still get compliments on it! I'm very happy with everything I picked and the design and everything the workers did so I still marvel at how beautifully everything worked out. It was worth every penny we spent.

As for the cooking forum, there are actually all levels of cooks hanging out there. I'm not a major cook either, I'm more of a throw-together-whatever's-in-the-kitchen kind of cook. (On CF they call that POOF = Pull out of fridge.) But the people there are so friendly and giving and willing to help and answer the same question 100 times or post the same recipe over and over when it gets requested, well, it's just such a nice community. I do get lots of ideas over there and have met some of them in person and formed real friendships.

o

The good ole days, sigh........!

How's everyone doing? I mostly lurk now @ Cooking and try to post here when I can. Bill, great thread!

Luna, how's the KD biz going?

o

Hi Pauline! I didn't actually go that direction...I was finding it...frustrating...to try and work with people who don't make decisions in the way I do. (Kind of like the Kitchen Forum, IYKWIM!) How do you like being a KD?

I also want to say Hi to Bill, seeking, lowspark, momj47, gibby, catmom, cooperbailey and californiagirl. I'd like to hear what everyone's doing these days. It's a reunion of sorts anyway!

Are you still remodeling? Last project/next project? What sparks your interests these days? Do you have summer/fall plans? What's good in your life?

Just to begin (and because I'm so good at questions!)...

We remodeled our bathroom last year; I'm the proud owner of a curbless/doorless shower (Bill remembers, and thank you for your help!), heated floor...and we're now a two sink bathroom, complete with Tapmasters! (We call it the Family Master Suite, as it's the primary bathroom, just to spin it in a positive direction. We live in an old house, built before the time people required a MB in every home.) At the same time, we refinished wood floors and painted three bedrooms, painted and replaced some 60 year old aluminum windows. We now have windows you can actually open which is BIG! Last fall we cleaned out our garage and I can find everything I need in an instant (also Big!) If I ever get inspired again (which isn't looking good at this point), I may move onto the basement, but it might take more $ than I'm willing to invest, considering my knees really don't like stairs! Besides, it's just more space to clean, isn't it? The next outdoor project is to mulch the grass path under the oak tree, and outlaw back yard grass mowing. We can't seem to grow grass there, so why not?

This summer I'm focusing on getting my body moving more easily and with less pain, so I'm taking up yoga so I can gain some flexibility. That's my summer goal anyway, and I'm hanging pretty close to home these days, enjoying my ''new'' spaces. It sounds a little dull, now that I've put it in print!

Oh! What's good in my life? The simple pleasures: Trying new recipes, fireflies in the back yard, my six year old golden, my dh, our backyard pond, popsicles on the deck, and friends hanging out. (Bill, I'm ready to go hang out near a serious body of water; do you have any good ideas for me? I wouldn't mind a little cottage I could rent!)

What's everyone else doing?

o

As usual, Claire, you always ask really good questions!

Since my kitchen remodel, I had a wall shelving unit built-in to my den on a 12 foot blank wall. It had been in my plan since we bought the house. It's natural cherry, cabs on the bottom with a verde butterfly granite top and open shelving above that. We were lucky to find an excellent carpenter who even matched our existing crown molding at the top of the shelves.

Then we replaced all our windows -- they were that thin cheap stuff (house was built in 1961) -- with low e windows. Most recently I replaced all three outer doors with custom leaded glass doors.

My next major project is to replace my driveway which is all broken up with a large crater right smack in the middle of it caused by roots of an overgrown tree (which we had removed when we bought the house). [Any advice on concrete vs pavers vs other materials welcome!!] My next "minor" project is to have speakers & antenna installed in my attic/ceiling for a nice surround sound system in the family room.

Several more smallish projects are waiting in the wings, and once they're completed, the bathrooms are next. We plan to convert a small 5th bedroom into a master bath -- and this will entail remodeling the hall bath and the master bedroom as well. See me in about 10 years on this one!

Good things happening: both sons are now in college. Nathan at Columbia in NYC and Ben at UT in Austin. Yeah baby, we're empty nesters! I'm taking advantage of leisure and enjoying friends. I hope to do a lot of organizing around the house. And I'm looking forward to spending more quality time with DH, just the two of us.

o

May, your shelving unit sounds fantastic. Do you have a picture? We replaced our driveway years ago (concrete), and one of the best things we did (IMO) was to add a little extra $ to the cost and have them pour it an extra couple of inches thick. I can truly say (that was in l997) that was an excellent decision, since in that time, we haven't had a single crack, and it's holding up beautifully. (Kansas City has major freeze/thaw situations so I know how important this is.) Your bathroom project sounds fantastic, and your new doors sound beautiful. Congratulations on being empty nesters! Now you can go have some fun!!!

o

(Bill, I'm ready to go hang out near a serious body of water; do you have any good ideas for me? I wouldn't mind a little cottage I could rent!)

Claire, if you're serious, email me, and I'll see about putting together a list for you of agents who manage weekly rentals up here. There's a SLEW of em, on Sebago, Long Lake, Brandy Pond Moose Pond, Kezar Lake, and a whole bunch more!! They don't call this area the Lakes Region for nothing!!

o

Oh Bill...Thank You for offering! I was actually being an little tongue in cheek; as much as I'd absolutely love visiting your part of the world, realistically it's too far for us to go for the amount of time off dh has available. When he retires (which sadly, isn't anytime soon enough for me, but Good Things Comes to Those Who Wait), you will hear from me For SURE!

o

Hi all, how ya doin'? Bill, thanks for being a reunion host! It's great to see all of these familiar names. Glad to hear those who have responded are doing well. Claire de luna, I also took up yoga this year, along with several neighborhood friends. I love it!

My kitchen is still not 100% finished, which is why I never posted finished pics. There is some minor trim work yet to be done, all these years later, but with a DIY project it seems to work this way. I'll get to it sooner or later.

The best news I have is that I've started dating. I've been a single mom for 13 years and never dated during that time (too busy, working too hard, and lots of other excuses). I met someone recently and things are progressing and I'm having the time of my life - - he's super outdoorsy, very active, and I'm doing things I haven't done since my pre-mom days, like mountain biking, white water canoing and going to concerts. Who knows where it will lead, but I'm having lots of fun along the way!

Oh, and we may be headed your way, Bill, for a weekend getaway soon. It'll be the coast, though. I need a salt air fix. If you know of a great rustic, quiet camping spot or B&B on the water, maybe on one of the islands, please pass it on!

o

Check out (of course) Bass Harbor :-) or Mount Desert Island (which is where Bar Harbor is)

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/bass-harbor-maine.html

The one below's the google search for MDI Bed & Breakfast. There are so many good links, I couldn't pick just one.

One thing to think about-- if you guys are into whitewater canoeing, two things to look into-- first, and this one is all season, is way up north, up by Millenockett, called the Allegash Waterway. Man, it's about as beautiful and unspoiled as it gets, and during the springtime, there are atleast a couple of rapids that get to be a heavy class 3, and even class 4 with the spring runoff. The other one, its big time is in the spring, when they hold a race on it, and that's the Kenduskeag River. Do a search on it, and I'm sure the canoe race will come up.

Here is a link that might be useful: MDI B&B Google search

o

Claire,

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Bookcases -- fourth from the bottom

o
RE: Who remembers... my whole message is missing!!

What happened? I had trouble with GW accepting the link, and by the time I got it to work, I guess my whole message got deleted....

here's what I originally said.

Claire,
I lost my FREE picture hosting when yahoo quit hosting pictures. I had switched to some other host which yahoo had recommended and a few months later they'd deleted all my pictures. :(
I've got a website that I can upload pix to again now, but it's a big job and I just haven't gotten around to starting on it.

However, pictures of my shelves are on the builder's webstie. They look even better now, filled with my junk (LOL) but here's how they looked brand new, just after he built them.

-------------

OK, that introduces the link shown in the previous post.

o

Lowspark-- check into photobucket. I've been with them now for about 4 years, have almost 700 pics uploaded, and I've never had a single problem with them.

o

May, those cabinets are Stunning! I hope you do join a picture hosting site, as I'd love to see them all filled up in your home. I'll bet they just make that room.

Paige, long time! How nice you showed up! And nice to hear your life is changing in a good way, and you're having some fun. Enjoy your vacation...we all know how good Bill is for resources! (I'm saving your suggestions in a travel file for the future Bill, so I won't have to ask again when my time to go ''somewhere else'' finally comes.)

o

You just go ahead and ask away!! I'm starting to do a bunch of work in still another resort area just to the north of me, up By Sunday River Ski Resort. I may have a whole NEW bunch of good places!! :-)

o

Hi everybody! I'm still here!

I don't check the Kitchens forum very often, and it seems like every time I check conversations it's just old posts. I mostly hang out at decorating and Kitchen Table.

Nice to see some familiar people! I often wonder what happened to pirula, mindstorm, pecanpie, snookums, and of course Jolly Roger (kidding!).

I was sad to hear that Fairegold got sent to Disney. She was such an asset to these forums.

o

Hey stranger!! Long time no "see"!!

I didn't even KNOW Fairegold got disneyed! She WAS hanging out over in Hot Topics, and then all of the sudden wasn't there. Pirula still spends alot of time over on the bathrooms forum, and mindstorm pops in here from time to time, as does pecanpie.

o

Bill, thanks for the tips. We are going to a place on Peak's Island - - not so far to drive for us, which is key on a holiday weekend. I think we'll be doing some kayaking. Those whitewater canoing spots sound great, though!

I've been to Mount Desert Island, but will definitely have to try Bass Harbor another time!

o

Old home week! Hi guys!

Why do I feel like I haven't moved on?
Oh yeah - It's because I haven't moved on...

o

I remember, and I've only been on this forum for about 4 years. I really don't need to read the Kitchen forum anymore, but I sometimes browse the headings.

o

Paige-- that'll still put you in my "neighborhood"... somewhat. :-) Enjoy yourself out there. Nice place to go if you want solitude on the ocean. :-)

o

Hey all, I haven't been around as long as some. We are almost done with our mostly DIY kitchen. We finally decided on and ordered windows ( last night!)to replace the plywood that we put up when we took out the decrepit ones. They will be similar to what we have already in our old house. Then I need to get busy and finish stripping the hutch of any remaining varnish ( guess who put it allll over it and let it dry ... and that thing is biig and I knew better. lol I want to paint it and put on top of a bottom yet to be designed and built by my DH of course- sorta a unfitted always been there look.
and am having knob problems- the finish comes off and I havent gotten around to looking for better quality orb knobs. so I still have tres chic duct tape!
I have been hanging around the decorating forum since the kitchen was at a bit of a standstill. And was on the cooking forum but I havent been too much lately, although my C drive is chock full of yummy sounding recipes!
someone explain to me about disney and former posters?
My family is well and Cooper and Bailey send woofs out to you all.
Bill one day my DH will come up to meet you and you can send him out to a good fishin hole! Happy 4th ya'll Sue

o

Hi cooperbailey! Back when Gardenweb was young and Spike ran things, if something, um... inappropriate...popped up on a post, the next time that person tried to post, they would (literally) be sent to the Disney website. I only got sent once, (so you see, I've slept since then) but I remember one would be sent to the area where one could ride the teacups. It was a ''three times and you're out'' policy, which is why certain members are no longer with us. Usually a warning would be sent before being banned from Gardenweb.

I hope I explained it...

o

Those of you up in this area, this current thread might bring back some memories from a few years ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Get Together?

o

Hi all!

Sorry for the disappearing act... we just returned from vacation. I didn't see Fairegold in Disney, but did take a ride in the teacups for old times sake ;) We stayed at the Dolphin Hotel in DW (very comfortable rooms, btw) and then @ the Portofino in Universal (gorgeous property).

Luna, I do enjoy freelancing. I take projects here & there, whenever one strikes my fancy (or pays decent, lol). I still work a 9-5 in a totally different field though.

I owe Mindstorm a phone call, I'll see if she's up for another get-together, Bill.

Anyone think we should start a thread on Discussions directing folks here? I know for the longest time I didn't check this section, as there was nothing much doing.

o

Where have the years gone? I can hardly believe that it's been about five years since that fateful Thanksgiving when my decrepit Chambers double oven died, which sparked a remodel that is still not quite done, but 99% complete means that it's a blessing every day. I'm visiting here tonight because I've missed my "window" and am up later than usual. I rarely check in here, but I do miss all of you.

To reiterate my favorite change to my kitchen: my prep sink. Worth ten times what it cost. And my Amtico floors, still gorgeous in spite of being trod upon by nine people each day. Also, learning about function over form from Blaze Dog and Claire. And the real beauty of cheap Traffic Masted flooring from Home Depot when it's laid in a checkerboard pattern from skatieroo. Uxorial said on a different thread that the Conversations forum was smoking in those days. Yes, it was. I remember when really hot threads would max out in a day. Lots of controversy made for a very interesting read on a number of threads. And some threads were simply hilarious. I learned so much from these pages. Easy wisdom, so fun to acquire. You can't help but love it.

But I've drifted away, crushing tuition payments mean no more major remodeling at this house. Just replacing things that wear out or break. We did have the good fortune to have a new shower put in our master bathroom. It's all white Daltile (looks like a sampler there are five or six different shapes involved), made the old-fashioned way, with concrete. With a gorgeous frameless door with a chrome victorian handle. The tile framing the exterior doorway of the shower is made to look like a white chair rail. Just stunning. The same incredible master tiler also did the surround for a new Kohler bathtub, a very deep alcove tub that has large 4" by 8" white Daltile field tiles around it. Like the master bathroom, this tub is gorgeous and the tile is perfect, but the rest of the bathroom should be torched (like the master bathroom). Oh yes, I have a toilet waiting for pick up at our local Kohler dealer even as we speak for out third bathroom. Plumbing seems to be our challenge here, with nine people we have a lot of water flowing, so lots of problems do arise all the time.

Back to our kitchen: I still love the Corian Vanilla countertops and my maple cabinets. My backsplash is of course white Daltile 4" field tiles set on diagonal, with a decorative 4" by 12" border (Polaris) just above the Corian. So pristine and simple looking.

My beautiful children have gotten older, and our daughter is now at college, my son is a high school senior and the rest follow suit, every other year. My youngest is no longer the precious little two year old that the was when I began working on the kitchen. I wish I had focused more on my children and obsessed less on trivial kitchen decisions. I've been very detached about the bathrooms as a result of learning that so much of this really doesn't matter. Things have changed about me as well. I've lost seventy pounds in the past year and a half. I guess that's where much of my energy has been directed. That has brought countless blessings as well.

I guess that's all the news that's fit to print!

~Cindy

o

Ahem. That's funny, I don't FEEL old...

HEY!! Here's a Shout Out to all of my Old Buddies!! I haven't dropped off the face of the planet, just off the KF. It's hard to imagine that it's been YEARS since the kitchen was finished. (And, if I'm telling the truth, I still need to paint the trim on the skylight and don't really have a good excuse why that hasn't happened yet.)

Anyway, I was spending a lot of time over at the CF and finally had step back from the computer and gain control over my life again. I got a promotion at work and didn't have the luxury of hours to read and type. I still mosey over there if I need an idea for a meal (they really came through for me when I needed a recipe for an event this winter) or if I need cooking inspiration. They are GREAT!

I remember almost all of you guys! I want you to know that recently, when I was looking at a house on a tour, a lady also on the tour was taking notes (so I knew she was about to embark on A Major Remodel). I started up a conversation about a Kohler faucet they had in the kitchen, which is the same faucet I put in our kitchen. I made sure this lady knew about moving the handle to the front, something I learned HERE, and then she started grilling me this and that, what did I like about my kitchen, what would I have done differently. I told her about this place (never got her name so I don't know if she made her way in here). I have to say, hands down, the KF was THE BEST resource I found for that project. This, due to the fact that there are so many helpful, creative, innovative, artistic, and generous people here.

Remember the old swaps? I still have the lovely tile compass Bill made for me but one of my neices put the gleeps on the stuffed Maine Moose. I really couldn't explain why a grown woman would need a stuffed animal so I had to fork it over. Remember that, Bill?

I wonder from time to time whatever happended to Typo the kitten... anybody know?

Ah, the Good Ol' Days.

Hugs and Kisses to all of you ~

o

Hi everybody! It's great to read what everyone has been up to. After years of working the graveyard shift, I recently switched to days. Believe it or not, adjusting to a 'normal' schedule has been difficult.

It's hard to believe my kitchen is more than two years old. I love it, even though we still haven't installed trim over the dishwasher. I still post here about my beloved marble once in a while. I spend more time at the Cooking and Kitchen Table forums these days.

o

WOW!! Cup and Bunglogrl, I've seen in here from time to time, but Colo_Lady!! Hey stranger!! Talk about a blast from the past!! :-)
Remember the old swaps? I still have the lovely tile compass Bill made for me but one of my neices put the gleeps on the stuffed Maine Moose. I really couldn't explain why a grown woman would need a stuffed animal so I had to fork it over. Remember that, Bill?

I certainly do!! I had a feeling that moose might just find a bit "younger" home!! :-) It's great to see you peek back in!

This almost feels like a high school reunion!! LOL

Cindy-- Congradulations on the weight loss!! You're taking it off, and I'm putting it on!! i quit smoking a year ago october, and within about 3 months, I put on 45 pounds!! Since then, not a pound more, not a pound less. Go figure!! :-)

Bunglogrl-- It won't be long before you get used to it. Been there, done that. :-)

o

Bill, you quit smoking! I'm so glad! I know that was a real struggle for you.

Hi to all who have since signed on. It seems very comforting to see so many familiar names - - we're all still out there, somewhere!

Like Cup, I have turned my focus more to my family and to myself, versus my house. I think it was easy to get sucked up into the myriad decisions involved in kitchen remodeling as a way of not thinking about what was missing and/or wrong in my life. I found that yoga was an excellent way to segue back into a "taking care of me" mode, both physically and mentally. If nothing else, it's a great exercise regime for people who had not been doing much exercise for awhile.

Hey Bill, Peak's Island was great! I could live in Maine. We had beautiful weather, except for some fog that rolled in the last day and prevented us from kayaking. The various abandoned military forts and installations out there are so cool. Before we went there, we climbed 2 of the 4000 footers in the White Mountains in NH. It's been a long time since I've done anything like that. For the last 90 minutes of that hike, all I could think about was a steak!

o

For the last 90 minutes of that hike, all I could think about was a steak!

Been there, done that-- funny part is once you get that image in your mind, it's next to impossible to get rid of it, to the point where you can even TASTE it!! LMAO Glad to hear you had a great trip!! As for the thoughts about living up here, that's how I got started, too!! I first came up here in 1981 (even coming up from Connecticut-- at the time I lived right next to North Haven High School), visiting in-laws up by Ellsworth, and from the very first trip, swore that if I ever had the chance, I'd move up here in a heartbeat. Here I is!! :-)

o

Cindy/ cupofkindness - I've been eavesdropping on this thread and have enjoyed reading the updates, especially yours. Your new bath and shower sounds fantastic. If you have pictures to share, I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Dee

o

Hey strangers!

It's so great to see your screen names once again and to hear that things are good by you! Cindy, you didn't say controversy.....did you?, lol

o

Deee:

I really can't say to much about my bathtub and shower except that a master tiler did the work. Bill will know of him: Bill, it's Davey's father who did the work. The quality of his work is matchless. He did the master shower and chidlren's bathroom tub alcove and they are stunning, but they are very, very simple because they are just white Daltile. The floor of the shower (which measures about 42 inches square) has matte subway tiles in a basketweave pattern, white 4 inch plain field tiles on the lower three fifths of the wall laid square, a lovely rectangular shaped tile with an arched pattern 2 by 8" liner, then the top two-fifths of the wall is high gloss diamond harlequin tiles. The ceiling is 3 by 3 inch tiles. Like I said before, the exterior is framed in a chair rail type tile which looks like a white wooden door frame. It's a very cool shower, very clean, classy and very white. I think the grout is snow white. My hope is that this shower will last forever. I know that the construction will be here until the end of time since it's concrete under the tile. So I had to put something timeless up and as I once read on the bathroom forum, the only tile that universally stands the test of time is white. The faucet is a Kohler, and the shower is a handshower that hangs on the wall on a mounted "hook" that is separate from the faucet handle or where the valve is located. So the chrome tube that connects the shower head to the water outlet in the wall takes up some visual space in the shower. It's gorgeous. There are two small quarter circle white shelves that are set-in on either side of the doorway at the liner level, one for me and one for my husband, that cannot be seen when you look into the shower, so the shower is clutter-free looking. The beauty of the master shower is that the construction is flawless. The door is a frameless one, made from "white" glass (no iron) that is mottled so that it's translucent but not transparent. The door handle is chrome in a victorian style, which means that it's not modern looking, it's a little more delicate looking instead. I'm so sorry that I am unable to post pictures.

Paulines: I remember the first time I saw your name on the forum. I had started a "Happy Memorial Day" sort of thread, and I believe you were one of the first people to post on it. You were so friendly, thank you. I remember that thread so well because in my mind (and I want to say that this was in 2004), it was about that time period that the Kitchen Forum experienced a huge increase in membership. I couldn't get over how quickly threads were coming and going. Wow! And the controversies, yes, they did rage. Never a dull moment. It was always interesting over here in Conversations. Somewhere on my computer I have an absolutely hilarious thread that I've saved for years. I'll have to find it. Actually, it was from two computers ago and I've moved it. I hope it survived the last meltdown.

It's good to "hear" from you Pauline. Thanks to you Bill for starting this wonderful thread, great to hear about the cigarettes. Well done!

~Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Nice and Deep Kohler Alcove Bathtub

o

Cindy-- If you're talking about Davey Stevens, you're right. Both he AND his dad are masters.

As for the hilarious thread, it didn't have anything to do with a cat throwing up in a washing machine, did it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Threw Up in the Washing Machine! (oldie but goodie!)

o

Bill, not only master tiilemen, but good people as well. We were very, very fortunate indeed to have him work on our bathrooms. The shower is perfect.

That thread is a hoot! What a great laugh. But that isn't the thread I had in mind. I'll keep looking for it.

Thanks for the reply, the cat thread, and have a great day.

o

Hello to all my old friends who gave me so much great advice that visitors still walk in to my kitchen and say "wow" and it still puts a smile on my face when I stroll in every morning to make coffee. I think of you all when I can fit my biggest pans in this fabulous silgranit sink (still my favorite thing in the kitchen). And speaking of doing dishes I know that my kitchen remodel must be getting old - because I think I'm going to need to refill the Never-M-T! Yup, 1 year 8 months and I'm finally running out of soap. Thanks and best wishes to you all.

o

Hi to all. Sweeby I know the feeling of not moving on I feel like I moved backward. Visiting the kit forum after 5 yrs. We moved and are in the process of a total renovation and new addition kit. Bought an 1870 schoolhouse. Glad to hear everyone is doing good.

o

Welcome to my world!! I've got an offer in right now one one that's only about 32 years newer!!

o

Bill, are you referring to old house? Good luck with your offer. Also BE PREPARRED for anything!!! This has been a much bigger project than I ever dreamed we were getting into though DH knew from the start and he has enjoyed everything except my meltdowns.

o

We started by looking at a foreclosure right next door to us. Talk about a whole lot of work!! This one had a 40 year old furnace, that last year went thru just over 2000 gallons of fuel oil!! All original windows, not a SHRED of insulation, alot of original wiring-- We put an offer in that was ridiculously low, with an addendum citing all that we'd found even BEFORE the inspections, and low and behold, wouldn't you know, ANOTHER offer slipped in just under the wire before us, as we were informed at 11:30 that night. So now, this one, also a foreclosure and built at the same time, is also an old farmhouse. But someone has very obviously sunk quite a bit of money into this place. The electrical has all been upgraded, the original house is oil heated, but what used to be the "barn" section and has now been converted into an in-law apartment/ photo studio is heated by propane monitor. It also has both a fireplace and area with flue for a wood stove (and yes, they will be inspected). All new replacement windows and faced fiberglass insulation and the landscaping-- Someone really spent some time there!! I feel bad for the people who lost it, because obviously there was alot of love put into this place, and I've been there. It's tough losing something like that.But this is the place we're looking at:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hopefully our new house

o

Bill it looks well on the way to a beautiful home. I especially like the grounds, up stairs hall and Din rm cupboard.
We did a complete gut, it is a timber frame, some of which were badly compromised so our contractor did an inside out timber frame replacement. A lot of modernization had been done thus we did a lot of period appropriate rehab. Good luck, I hope your offer is accepted and all goes well.

o

Bill, that house is amazing - the grounds are gorgeous and I love the hardwood floors and the stair banisters & railing (so cool!). I happen to know a good KD, if need be ;)

Have you heard anything? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & Kathleen!

o

Still waiting. I called and left a voicemail with the realtor last night, and still haven't heard from her yet. We'll see. :-)

o

Bill, I'm crossing my fingers and thinking good thoughts for you. I hope you can tell us soon that you're buying a house! (I absolutely love it BTW...Good luck to you.)

o

Bill, any word? I'm hoping your noticible lack of presense here means you're busy with other things....like buying a house?

Hey Luna!

o

I called the realtor over the weekend and was told if she'd heard anything good or bad, she would've called. Basically don't call us, we'll call you. To say I'm disappointed in the lack of even mediocrity is an understatement.

o

Bill, you could also look at this as ''No news is good news''. I have the belief that if it's meant to happen, it will. Just look...I think your second choice is much better than your first! If this doesn't happen, it may be there's an even better choice...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you hear something soon.

o

Claire, I agree that if it's supposed to happen, it will. I'm just getting the feeling it's not supposed to. In my mind, I keep hearing Garth Brooks' song "Unanswered Prayers". There's 5 days left on the offer. After that, it'll be rescinded, and then we're done looking for now.

o

I'm keeping good thoughts for you! Please let us know when you hear something one way or the other, Bill.

o

Nice to see this. Here is where I first got up the courage to put myself out there into the cyber world. Aside from all the help I received, ( and I did/do feel selfish being a taker more than a giver)I just loved the way strangers reached out so willingly to help others. These forums do restore faith in the genuine 'niceness' of people. Though I never share much about myself, I have loved getting to "know" so many of you!

o

Who remembers momj47's ideal dishwasher? She posted that right after I found GW (a year after completing our build). I spewed coffee on my keyboard.

o

RE: Bar Harbor and places to stay. We stayed here last year and had a wonderful time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivy Manor Inn and Michelle's

o

Talk about all or nothing!! I finally heard from BOTH realtors- one yesterday, and one today concerning the two houses we've looked at. The house we put the offer in on last week-- all offers were refused by the bank, and they asked each of the three parties to submit their best offer by this morning. So we bumped it, and sent it in. This afternoon, the people who'd gotten their offer in just under ours on the first house we looked at (the one right next door to where we live now)-- their financing fell through, and now the realtor emailed us (at 2pm) to let us know we had till 4 pm to let her know if our offer was still valid. I'm waiting to see what happens with the other house, first. Obviously, there's not alot of action on the house next door, so we'll see what happens next in this continuing saga!!

Heck, this is starting to sound like some of the KITCHEN stories I've heard in here!! LOL

o

When it rains, it pours!!! Good luck and may the best house win! :-)

o

And so it begins. We sent in the offer on the house next door first thing this morning. Got a counteroffer by 11 am. Gave them a second counter 20 minutes later with a "take it or leave it" trailer. So now we're still waiting. I got home from work, and what does my wife have sitting on my chair?? A SUBZERO/ WOLF CATALOG!! Did one of you sneak that in to her?!?!?!?

:-)

o

Bill, are you negotiating with the bank? Curious as I've heard that could be notoriously slow & that doesn't seem to be the case?

Your wife has great taste! Wishing you the bestest!

o

Great taste??? Hell, Those appliances cost more than what I'm offering on the house!!! :-0

As for the bank, yes, we are. I was kind of surprised, as well. We're kind of in the drivers seat, though, for two reasons. First, this is a cash deal, so they don't have to worry about the deal falling through. Secondly, the biggest problem with this house as it sits right now is that it's an energy PIG. I think I already stated above that last year, it went through over 2000 gallons of heating oil. Now, do you think the bank has ANY interest at all, in sinking another $10K into the house just to keep the pipes from freezing? The people who gave up the house moved out last march. The offer that slid in just under mine was the very first offer they'd had on it, and it fell through. Time's tickin, and so's the money counter. When we presented our counter, I made it very clear that this was a take it or leaved it offer, and it DOES have a time limit on it. If they want to heat it over the winter, that's fine with me. But if I'm going to get in there and make the repairs that have to be made to make it more energy efficient (changing out all the windows and insulating the place), I need to get going on it soon. Won't be long before the snow's flying. September's only a couple of weeks away!

o

Bill, I have a feeling that you're about to own a house right next door! That will certainly make working on it convenient, and walking away from the mess and sleeping in a clean environment is a GOOD Thing! (Ask me how I know. Or rather, don't, since I don't want to relive it, even in memory.) I hope you hear from them very soon...Good luck! (Your house reminds me so much of the old farmhouse we rented when we were first married. Of course we rented the place, so only made ''improvements'' up to a point. It was a lovely place to live, even though we covered the windows with clear thick plastic and lath, and heated it with logs of hedge/osage orange we cut on the place and fed into a wood stove/furnace in the LR. I remember always looking towards the house from a distance as I drove home, for smoke coming from that direction, hoping the place hadn't burned down! With our winters which are mild compared to yours, we would burn four cords of wood a year, which we cut ourselves. I still miss the fresh eggs from our chicken house. Oh, Memories...I hope you'll be making some new memories for yourselves very soon!)

o

Thanks. My wife and I were talking yesterday, and got a good laugh, thinking about when it comes time to move-- we're going to look like army ants going down the sidewalk from one house to the other!! LMAO

Still haven't heard anything yet, but I guess that's a good thing-- means they're considering it.

o

Well, I finally got word this afternoon. They dropped another 1K. I sent word back that I'm standing firm. My offer's good for 48 hours. After that, I'll take silence as a rejection and the offer's null and void.

We'll see.

o

Been gone and just checked in. Exciting stuff -- I just know Bill's going to get a new house. My fingers are crossed for you!

o

Looks like we're getting it. :-) I'll get official confirmation monday morning, but that's what I hear "on the grapevine". :-)

o

Congrats to you and your family. Sounds like perfect timing!

o

Perfect timing is right. I recently did some work in town for a contractor whose cousin did the appraisal on the place for the bank. His cousin is also very familiar with inspectors who've looked over the place, so this morning I called that contractor to get his cousin's phone number and get some names. When I told him which property it was he told me that was disappointing news-- he was going to put in an offer on monday!

o

Doesn't it feel great when stuff falls into place?

o

It will once all the energy efficiency stuff is done, and I can kick back and watch tv in my living room. :-) I have a feeling that in a few weeks, I'm going to be kind of scarce in here for a couple of months!

o

Party at Bill's house ~ whoo-hoooo!

o

Wear stained jeans and old shirts!! If they're not when you get there, they WILL be by the time you leave!! LMAO

o

Oh, YAY!!! Congratulations! (Or should I reserve this for the final word?) ANYWAY, I'm so happy for you! Now...not to rush the cart before the horse or anything...you're going to want to find the right person to rent the house next door when you're done with it, since you're going to eventually have a new neighbor!

o

Funny you should say that. I saw my landlord today, and told him what's going on, and that I'm waiting on confirmation from the bank, but I'm pretty sure about the whole deal. I told him that although we're looking at a closing date of 9/15, that we probably wouldn't be out till 10/31 because of all the work that has to be done. His reply-- Sorry, but I need you out by the end of september. matter of fact, why do you have to wait till the 15th? Why can't you close next WEEK, being it's a cash deal??? I asked him what the hell ever happened to 30 days notice!! All of the sudden now, I'm screwing him over because now he has to rent the place out just before winter. I'll tell ya-- if I didn't know it would cost me a 1000.00 security deposit, I'd be out of here by tuesday with no notice whatsoever, and live out of a hotel room for the next few weeks!!

o

Lots on your plate now Bill, how's Kathleen coping? I don't know if you still have my phone #, but tell her to feel free to give me a call, if she has any kitchen remodel questions!

You know I'm busting to help you design your new kitchen!

o

When the time comes, I promise, you'll be involved. But for right now, the money has to go to other things, like almost 20 new thermal windows to replace all the ORIGINAL windows (from 1900), insulating the whole building, updating some of the electrical.. LITTLE things!! :-) For now, I'm just going to do enough to make the kitchen operable and "cozy", starting with taking out the vinyl asbestos tile and subfloor, and replacing it all from the joists up.

o

We're now officially under contract. :-)

AND SO IT BEGINS!!

o

Congratulations, Bill!! Enjoy your new place and may the move be smooth and easy.

o

Thank you. It's not going to be either-- there's going to be alot of work to do here very shortly, and as usual, not NEARLY enough time or money to do it, but we'll get it done. Like I just said in a thread on the other side, nothing worth anything's easy!!

o

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were closer to us, we'd be glad to drop by in old jeans and T's to help out. It would be the least we could do for someone who's given so much to all of us!

o

We're all set for inspections. The bank won't turn on or even ALLOW US to turn on the electric or water, so I'm going on people who know the house and people who lived there before. I'm still going to have a plumber come in and pressurize the pipes with a compressor so atleast I know for sure there are no pipes that froze and busted. The previous owner left at the end of march, but we still had some below freezing days in april, so I just want to be sure, and I get the feeling the bank's hiding something. I've NEVER seen a house-- even another foreclosure-- for sale that didn't atleast have the power turned on!

Anyway, the plumber, a septic system inspector, and a general building inspector will be here monday morning. So here goes nothing!! Last hurdle!

o

Fingers remain crossed!!!!

o

I want to hear what the inspection turns up! Don't forget inquiring minds want to KNOW, Bill! Good luck and positive thoughts are flying your way...

o

Good luck today, Bill!

o

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens. Everyone should be next door in about 1 1/2- 2 hours.

o

We got the Septic inspector's report last night. Back to negotiating. Leach fields are pretty well gone. :-( Still waiting for the build inspector's report.

o

I remember you all, my kitchen refit (Ikea adel birch, Indigo walls) was 3(?)yrs ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ixia/DSCI0116.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ixia/kitchen45.jpg

Well, we had an offer accepted on a house today, 1880s, end terrace and guess what? It needs a new kitchen! But it also needs a new roof, so priorities need to be considered :D. I'm browsing for ideas already.

I also remember Flyleft, who had another ID that I can't remember and JenintheUK. I was inspired by Fairegold's kitchen and also fell in love with someone's swirly grey granite - Bernice maybe?

o

WOW! What indigo is that? I love it.

o

HI BILL! What a random thing, for me to find this post as I stopped in here looking for photos of my kitchen. Just wanted to say HI! Hope all's well. This thread ended in 2008 - yikes - I am a REALLY OLD timer! :-)

o

Can't believe I pulled up this thread by doing a word search. I remember all those names and more since I've been in and out of here for 12 years (class of 2002) :) First the kitchen, then the master bath/master bedroom, LR to Dining conversion and more and now the hall bath. A person can get lost for hours and hours in all the invaluable information on THS. Bill, are you still around?

o

Hi Monica! Are you remodeiling your bath now? Do you still love your kitchen? I still love mine - it looks the same and it still feels special and new. I can't believe how many years ago I was transfized to this website, gathering as much info as I could and sharing the pain and joy of remodeiling the kitchen.

o

Hi colo_lady! We're remodeling my husband's bathroom. Mine was done in 2007. Do I still love my kitchen? I do. There are things I would have done differently had I had time to learn more and discover I had more of a selection. It was the one remodel (and as of now we've redone every room in the house) that was unplanned (hot water heater leak). So I didn't have the luxury of time. The one thing we didn't change in the kitchen was the cabinets. After DH's bathroom and the house is paid for (again) next year, I'm hoping we can reface the kitchen cabinets. Also in 2007 we removed the wall between the kitchen and LR and turned the LR into a large dining room and added a peninsula between the two rooms. LOVE that!!! GW is a wealth of knowledge but man oh man, if you're an over analyzer like me, you can spend HOURS and HOURS at a time, ignoring everything and everyone (LOL)
Do you know if Bill is still around? I've been back on the forums for at least 3 months and haven't come across any of his posts (except this one started back in 2008).

o

Frankly, I'm never in here poking around, so I can't say whether or not Bill is around. Here is his email - you should drop him a line!
billvincent@hotmail.com
Tell him HI from me! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here