Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XX11!

solman
13 years ago

Oh My,

We must have run out of Salsa!

And the Summer Fiesta has barely just begun.

Ole!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part XX1 of this thread.

Comments (150)

• plllog
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Supply and demand. Even though it's closer to you when it's caught, it still has to be transported to you, and there isn't nearly as much of it as there are people who'd eat more of it if it cost less. So they set the price at the highest they can and still sell all their fish. Econ 101.

Papayas aren't inexpensive here and in TX because they're grown nearer. They're inexpensive because there's a big demand for papayas (eeew) and they ship a lot of them in knowing there's a market. Then, because there are so many papayas, some places sell them for less so you'll buy there. And because la tienda del barrio has less expensive papayas, el gran supermercado has to have them for less too, and because it's less there, the big chain store has to have them for less. They're probably a bit higher at Gelson's, but there they only have the very best, and you have to pay a little to keep them in business. The dinosaur egg plumcots are $2.99/lb. currently.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Yeah!! What's up with the unfriendly Canadian hooligans??? Huh?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But Polly, who says they're Canadian? They could be transplants from Seattle. We all remember how lovely that Summit was.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Seattle people are pretty mellow. I think they're probably from Europe or something. I was just teasing you. BTW, did you see all the police presence for the Lakers? We never used to have hooliganism (gangs and riots, yes, burning car celebrations, no), then it happened in Detroit, which had very serious social ills at the time, and the creepy people here learned it from TV. Sigh.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a funny thing but seems like change and revolution only comes through violence, in the modern day anyways. My idol, Ghandi, did it without.

It seems like without violence, gov't will not willingly change. Think Rodney King L.A. Riots and the infamous French who WILL turn the country upside down should the Gov't dare to wrong them. And for that I respect the French.

Unlike North Americans/Germans/British who just mope and sulk at disagreement, the French people make their point very clearly. And the Gov't listens very quickly .

"Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité"

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a funny thing but seems like change and revolution only comes through violence, in the modern day anyways. My idol, Ghandi, did it without.

It seems like without violence, gov't will not willingly change. Think Rodney King L.A. Riots and the infamous French who WILL turn the country upside down should the Gov't dare to wrong them. And for that I respect the French.

Unlike North Americans/Germans/British who just mope and sulk at disagreement, the French people make their point very clearly. And the Gov't listens very quickly .

"Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité"

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just lost my post not once, not twice, but three times!!

;;;;; GRRRR

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Econ 101, yes, supply and demand. Things are not priced based on the cost of production but what the consumer will pay. Vinyl handbags with fancy initials usually cost more than well made leather from a lesser known label.

Goods made in China always amaze me how they can assemble and package something and ship it across the Pacific. Then deliver it to my town where the store stocks it and sells it for $1 or so.

These days the violence seems to be on the part of those who don't want change as in Greece. Not exactly sure what brings protestors to those meetings, but in the past they were against something called "globalization" which makes no sense if you listen to their interviews. We were in Paris during one of those protests and it was not fun. They broke windows across the street from our hotel. The building housed a group called "UNIE", guess the protestors didn't like the concept.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like someone did their homework right.

Polly, have you got yours?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Are you kidding? I'm not going to bother until they get it right. Who wants a phone that doesn't work as a phone when you hold it like a phone?

I think the whole protest thing is about Anarchists of the world Unite! It's a great graffito but the irony is lost on those it applies to.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like someone did their homework right.

Polly, have you got yours?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Not to mention the multitasking issues.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK Senoritas,

A little treat from SAN LORENZO DEL ESCORIAL-ESPANA

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brrrr,

It's freezing outside. 17C in July! :(

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

P.S.

All the reason more to stay inside and enjoy the 2010 FIFA World Cup FREE!!

Sorry USA-Yes I did vote against you; and for GHANA. We must have an African team and they are the only one left :(

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you kidding? I'm not going to bother until they get it right. Who wants a phone that doesn't work as a phone when you hold it like a phone?

Well my dear Madam, perhaps you need a little Eco Bumper to spruce, I mean Bamboo, things up.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, Sol, that is cute. Though it would be even better without the stuff on the back. And it's perfectly okay to root for Ghana. Rooting for Brazil, unless you're Brazilian or have a friend on the team or something, is just overkill.

Actually, I liked the hand feel of the old one better. I'm only thinking of switching for the multitasking and for the app filing and ability to handle so many more apps.

Over the weekend, I at least figured out why my current addresss book wasn't syncing correctly. The blasted thing was trying to sync the wrong file! I finally figured out that I could wipe out the address book by syncing to gmail, then resync it to the right file. Sheesh!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Uhummm...

You're talking to the Samba Headquarters here.

Coração du Brasil.

It is our Cup!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Exactly! No need to cheer for someone who owns it! Root for your own team or an underdog. Spread it around.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sigh;;;;;; But that is my team.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You want real samba?

This is the sound now in South Africa.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But this one may just be too hot for you chiquita.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Nah, uh!!! You already said you were rooting for Gambia!!! And not once have you ever said anything in Portuguese! You're just shamming!!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff-Thanks for the warm sympathies.

The weather man just rang in and yes we will hit the Texan style 40 degrees by weekend.

Yipeee!

Plllog- You can cancel the seats to Cancun and now you can have your Tagine

• plllog
    13 years ago

But...it's still gloomy and awful here! It even rained. In JUNE!

Those are really pretty tagines. The trick of the Le Creuset is that the bottom is cast iron. Considering that clay tagines have been working perfectly fine for centuries I'm not sure why that's a good thing, but it's unique.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gambia? No silly, GHANA! Yes rooting for secretly.

But make no mistake, mi Coração es du Brasil!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

40C? That's pretty warm isn't it? We haven't seen that heat here yet. We've just hit 80oF today. Tropical Storm Alex is sending rain our way which is almost unheard of around here this time of year. Plllog would find it interesting with the curved bands of clouds and clear sky it really looks just like the radar.

Irony is the perfect word for the protestors.

Of course we can get a real tagine at an import shop. Somehow the Le Creuset tagine looks special even though it's not a real tagine which is unglazed.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ouch. Your poor head.

Oh Oh Quick, get the Duvet's out!

The Weatherman just said 10 Degrees tonight! Brrrrr.

Oh well, so much for bikini sales. And glad I'm not in that biz.

But must say, that would look quite interesting on a Business Card
    Title-Bikini Buyer

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Irony is the perfect word for the protestors.

:::: LOL Steff!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BTW Steff- There is OUTRAGE here about this Summit.

From today's paper:

"Seventeen-year-old Lulu Maxwell says she was drawing peace signs on a sidewalk at a meeting place for protestors when she was arrested Sunday by Police. Twelve hours later she was released. She was never charged."

There has been documented police brutality, abuse, etc etc. all things that will only fuel and enlist many more to join future G20 protests.

This is outrageous in such an advanced country like Canada.

True Story:

While I was in University, one summer I was seeking a new room to board in downtown TO. Upon arrival to check out the room, the lovely housemate girl said, "BTW I have to be honest with you, if you end up living with us, you could come under surveillance. I am an active Gov't protestor and RCMP have been parked in front of our house many times!" My picture has also been taken at all the protests on Queen's Park."

To this day, I am disgusted by the so called "freedom and democracy" of Canada or for that matter America.

That's why I tell people in Cuba, we are no different than you. People watch you, brutalize you, abuse you, just as in your communist state.

Anytime you stand up to or question Authority, you are a "criminal, terrorist, troublemaker etc."

For the record, my ex-roomate Pam was the sweetest, kindest, most sympathetic girl ever. And yes, I took the room just so I COULD be a part of the "rogue house" which I might add was all girls :)

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Toronto Star Editorial- Monday June 28

A Brutal Spectacle That Failed a City And It's People

"The G20 security strategy has been spectacularly successful at cocooning the world's leading politicians and staggeringly ineffective at protecting the property and peace of mind of Torontonians. And the one, inevitably, led to the other.

By bringing in thousands of heavily armed strangers and throwing up barricades everywhere to regular traffic, frightening off good and decent citizens, Canadian authorities created a ghost town in the heart of our city.

Perfect for the political leaders. Protesters were kept blocks away from where the deliberations were going on.

And most protestors conducted themselves faultlessly as the global good and great met behind rings of gulag-like fencing and battalions of police beating Plexiglass shields with batons in a primitive show of might.

It was, however, less than perfect for the city, it's businesses and it's inhabitants. The only force that can prevent vandalism and mayhem in a city is the presence of it's population. Surely that was the lesson every urban planner learned from looking south to the hollowed-out urban war zones of the United States in the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's.

No police force, no matter how large, how well armed, how empowered to limit the civil rights of citizens, can stop vandalism in the empty shell of a city. Canadian authorities have proved that two days and two nights running.

The strategy that ensured G20 leaders would never have to see a Canadian who wasn't a politician, a police officer or waiter lacked even a glimmer of common sense when it came to the security of Toronto and Torontonians.

They took our city to hold a meeting and bullied us out of the core, damaging the commerce of thousands of merchants and inconveniencing the entire population. Then, they failed to protect our property. Along Yonge St., as self described anarchists were smashing stores unopposed, terrified merchants and their staffs sought shelter behind counters and in basements. If these establishments had been set alight, all of the thousands of fearsomely equipped police would have been able to do little more to save our citizens than they did to save their burning cruisers.

For the last few days, the city has looked like a vast reality TV set, where heavily garbed gladiators in black, burdened under bullet proof vests, guns, walkie-talkies, shields and batons, try to chase down a wild, quick footed band of anti-gladiators in black sweat suits and bandanas. And it cost us $1.2 Billion to stage and choreograph this grossly unequal contest.

Canadian authorities knew that this overweening show of paramilitary hubris would draw the violent dregs of nihilism from around the world. Previous summits offered stark and certain warnings. Given that, the attempt to provide security for the city and it's inhabitants has been a sad and disturbing failure.

What is the critical lesson?

Don't even try to hold international political conferences with this kind of explosive ideological charge in the heart of a major urban centre. You sacrifice either the safety of the politicians or the safety of the city.

The idea that this was an effective way to show off Toronto to foreign guests is bewilderingly stupid.

Canadian authorities created a city no citizen could recognize and no visitor could admire. Then, they allowed a pack of brutes to trash it."

• plllog
    13 years ago

That's why they have mid-east summits at Camp David.

And if you understand about my head, surely you can understand that at least I got a G country in West Africa!

Oh! And we have TV now! In the kitchen. The potatoes were crying their eyes out.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I say take the 20 leaders to the Arctic, sit them in igloo with their own lunch-boxes, and when they're done yapping, ship them back home in their own planes. Better yet, tell them to all buy the new iPhone 4 and they can do FaceTime, FREE, from the comfort of their own homes!

Oh, your poor head. OK Ghana will forgive you.

But TV? Like 27 inch iMac so you have Internet for Papaya salad recipes?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Polly-I thought you'd like all the Samba dancing treats.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff- Would I be considered a wimp if I closed the bedroom windows tonight?

I mean 10 degrees is a lucky winter day. Not Summer.

Lucky Manilla.

I'll believe the 40C on Sunday when I actually see it.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's been so much chatter about the new iPhone's performance but the real question remains...

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another question is:

Will it do Hollywood Features?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Better question: Will it do multitasking without crashing?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is the whole point of the new iOS. I can't see Apple making that a feature that doesn't work.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Word on the street is that it doesn't...

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh boy :(

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations on the Promotion Polly!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Promotion? Did I miss something?

No difference between us and Cuba? Only members of the ruling party get deodorant. That's just one difference right off the top. We may be headed that way, but we're definitely not there yet.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!!! Steff-Actually don't underestimate Cuba. The last time I was in Havana, I had dinner at a Palladar (privately owned restaurant in your own home) and the house made mine look like a rustic cottage. Stunning! Contrary to popular belief, Castro does have full fledged free enterprise and is doing a great job at it. And I haven't been back for over 5 years. I can just imagine now.

Cubans themselves are the best commerce people I have seen in all of latin America! They have access to the same Samsung flatscreens, LG Frontloaders, SONY VAIO laptops etc. etc. The women are impeccably dressed, with the all the girly works- nail-hair-eye-parfum, etc. The guys are "ultra cool" = NIKE-La Coste Polos etc. etc.

A U of T Prof friend wrote a personal letter to Brian Mulroney some 15 years ago voicing his displeasure on what a poor leader he was. Well, the next time he was off to Florida, he was told at the Airport that he could not board because his name had been placed on a "Security Alert".

Cuba-USA-Canada + opposing authority = same result

I try to explain to Cubans that Americans also have their phones tapped, houses watched, and "whatever else that we don't know" about. We are not "free". It's just a cute line for the national anthems or the back of dollar bills.

For the record, the Hospital I was in Havana puts anything in TO to shame. I don't dare even mention the one in my own town :)

No doubt I am enamored by Fidel and what he has done with CUBA. Moreover, he is a God in his country and throughout Latin America. Much more sentiment than we can ever have about any of our "democratic" leaders.

He wears the same clothes and lives the same life everyday. That is why he's revered. Remarkable.

As a Capitalist, I am always truly astounded by the success of the communists. And China has already made that point quite clear.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations too Steff on the promotion!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Steff-sorry I forgot about Polly's promotion. Pricing Manager- in charge of pricing.

And yours Product Manager-in charge of building planned obsolescence :) (but should have hired you 5 years ago)

I forgot to tell you guys that on delivery last week in "Fortress Toronto" , sigh, a customer refused the delivery saying he wanted the Dark Purples (essentially same as the Dark Blues except color). We also haven't shipped those for at least 5 years. I asked him how he knew about them. The reply "we just got some last year". Uhumm I exclaimed.

Well sir, we actually haven't sold those for at least 5 years. So yup, he used the same case for over 5 years.

While he was talking, I remembered that we do have 2 cases in the Whse. and told him that we stopped carrying them because the Purples were much more expensive (Double) and that I'm sure there were none left but that I would check. There was absolutely no blink at the mention of double price ($200 more), he was just desperate to know if we could get them.

Yes Polly-your new protocols are already in place. Depressing is knowing how underpriced we have been for the quality of product and how much more our customers are willing to pay. Oh well to live and let learn.

Steff- trust me, your protocol has also been put to use.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff- Now there is obviously a slight difference in the freedoms. Here if Authorities have abused their power, we have the ability through the Judicial system to challenge the actions of those in question.

That can't quite be done in Cuba :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Hee.

Remember, it's the ones that are hooked who pay more. And maybe their referreds. If you run another batch you should set a "special run for valued customers" high price, and tell new clients for that item that they can't get any without a referral because it's a special product, then find them a sponsor. If that doesn't get them paying the premium price, you can give them a very small amount on introductory special because they've been recommended to you.

That kind of folderol.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

So there you go. It's important to know your stock and the capabilities of your company.

Polly has really got you on the track. You have a product in high demand and can charge what the customer will pay. The customer will let you know when you are charging too much and you can always run a special.

Let him know that you will need to make a special run of purple just for him next time or he will need to switch to blue. That way they will be prepared to order in advance or maybe they'll order more now so you can have time to get the purple run. Just curious, does the purple match their logo or something? Maybe the staff is trained a certain way in where to place specific items.

About Cuba, they don't have elections either and those are not small differences as my Cuban roommate back in my university days would quickly tell you.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No it wasn't anything to do with uniforms or matching, just stain hiding. It doesn't show dirt because the color is so dark. Really the same material we used for the Golf division.

I remember we even lost a customer because they got used to the extreme durability and dark color and said that our standard light colors didn't last nearly as long. Then it became a stalemate. We had/have a few cases still left from like 10 years ago, but don't want to sell them because the durability affects repeat sales. So Polly's idea is best. Don't hoard them, sell them at double or triple the price because those guys know that it's the real deal and they can't get it from anyone else except us. Technically I would say they last possibly four times longer than our lighter stock. So for every case of the darks you lose 4 sales of the standard. At double the price it's still a bargain for them.

Elections? I believe they do but Fidel is the only candidate :)

One thing that I discovered in Cuba is that there seems to be distinct groups. Those that think America is a bed of Roses and wish to go, those that were there and came back, those that are just happy to be Cubans. The latter are usually the industrious ones, educated ones, well cultured ones. And they prosper within the system. All the businesses are State controlled operations but within those there is also competition. So like America, the best workers get promoted, move up, earn more, gain greater material wealth.

The Paladar where I ate had a slick young 22 year old who has traveled to Germany, Virgin Islands, New Zealand etc. The thought of leaving Cuba and his palace would never happen. When I explain to Cubans how much a Hospital visit or University education in America would cost, they are quite shocked. And the reality behind the "American Dream" means working 2 jobs, sitting in traffic jams, drowning in debt, etc. etc. All concepts they have no idea of. I feel so relaxed when I'm there because it feels like going back 20 years in time. And that's a good thing. Good old life before the iPad and text messaging :)