Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XX11!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 0:14

Oh My,

We must have run out of Salsa!

And the Summer Fiesta has barely just begun.

Ole!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part XX1 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XX11!

GULP!

Good point Steff. Agreed.

Looks like it's not that simplistic. Considering America's also in deep financial trouble, it explains their position.

But ultimately, without the US-Canadian street demand, the Cartels would have no market.

So, perhaps it is our ineffective law enforcement that bears responsibility.

o

Plllog- I think I like your approach of boycotting the news. It's safer

o

I'm not boycotting the news. I'm boycotting the newspapers that have been turned into partisan pabulum by corporate corruption.

You want to hear simplistic? I was at a party where people were saying that the solution to "the Mexico problem" would be to annex Mexico! So I said, "I don't think the Mexicans would like that. They don't want to be annexed," and was totally blown off. Then they said that we'd have to equalize the economy or something like that. Like it's even possible. They'd have to entirely wipe out a culture! It's not about "jobs". Yes, I think Mexico has (always has had) a need to create a culture of rule of law. Without strong, (ostensibly) fair law enforcement/courts people have no trust so don't bother to follow the rules, BUT you can't take over a people and impose law on them! Let alone change hundreds of years of economic behavior. Mexicans are entrepreneurial, by and large. The lack of wealth among the masses has to do with much larger issues than that!

o

I'm not boycotting the news. I'm boycotting the newspapers that have been turned into partisan pabulum by corporate corruption.

Priceless! Ever so proud of you Polly and your sharp one liners.

Brilliant Mon Cheri. That coming from a former Guadalajara Gringa. You obviously had your eyes and ears open.

1. NO ONE trusts Policia's in Mexico. They're as crooked as Captain Crook's eye.

2. Mexican's are amazingly Entrepreneurial, having figured out how to survive, without the government, and without giving to them-taxes. Why should they pay taxes to finance corrupt politicians.

3. NO ONE trusts Government. And why should they? Past President Carlos Salinas de Gortari personally killed countless foes, robbed the country of Billions of DOLLARS (made the list of the 10 richest men in the world!!), fixed elections (mysteriously the PRI won every election in the last 40 years) etc. etc.

4. Just 2 years ago, the Toronto couple who were murdered in their Mayan Riviera hotel for their Wedding Party mysteriously had no arrests in their case! The Governor of Q. Roo was "deeply regretful" and said it was a Canadian "inside job" from Canadian wedding guests! The case remained unsolved to this day. The Governor made a "symbolic" visit to Canada for a statement. In other words keep tanning your bodies on our sunny beaches.

OK that's Mexico. Now let's talk TO. Story just discussed this evening with my friend here. He has 4 personal friends on the Police force. One confided in him that when he busts a Street Dealer, he gives the guy a choice. The stash or time behind bars. No brainer what the dealer chooses. So when he hands the stash over to the Cop, the Cop takes it off-duty to another Street Dealer and sells it to him at "wholesale" and pockets the cash. "Fringe benefits" of the job, so to speak.

Example #2. Ten to 15 years ago, infamous Canadian front page Toronto Police story. A Street Hooker was busted. She then went public that the Cop often blackmailed her for free sex and had evidence. She mysteriously "committed suicide" before the case came to Trial. Did I hear Marilyn Monroe?

P.S. to #2 above. Brian Mulroney, Canada's former Prime Minister admittedly took an envelope of cash containing $300,000 in a "business deal" from a Broker in awarding the contract to buy x # of AirBus Jets for Air Canada. Lovely!

o

Sure, corruption is everywhere. Power corrupts. But for all of that, we generally trust the rule of law to keep the peace. The great outrage of the previous administration is the skirting the laws to suspend habeus corpus. How can we trust when they don't follow the rules?

o
Unsolved Canadian Couple Murder

Edward Greenspan is the #1 Criminal Lawyer in Canada. Our Johnny Cochran.

He took on the case. He never loses and in this he went nowhere.

President Vincente Fox got involved! Greenspans words:

"Lawyer Edward Greenspan, who represents the family of Dominic and Nancy Ianiero, has advised Canadians to "stay out of Mexico" until the killers are caught.

Referring to a public statement made by Mexican President Vicente Fox -- that the evidence still points to Canadians as the culprits -- Greenspan said: "what that tells me is that he's only interested in making sure that the tourist industry in Mexico is not affected.

So blame the Canadians, get a Canadian, charge a Canadian, and that way people will keep coming to Mexico -- that's his primary concern," Greenspan said in an interview Monday on CTV's Canada AM.

"I'm concerned that when he tells police officers in Mexico and prosecutors in Mexico 'this is your job, find me a Canadian to charge,' I'm concerned they're not going to get the right person."

However, press attache Mauricio Guerrero said Mexico is still safe, and called the Ianiero murder "one case out of a million."

Guerrero also said Greenspan is deliberately trying to hurt Mexico's tourism industry by misleading the public."

Here is a link that might be useful: Poor Canadian Couple

o

The problems in Mexico are not simple. The people are to be admired for their ability to adapt their businesses and create an "underground" economy that works. We see many families shopping here and they appear to be doing quite well. Until enough of them demand better of their government, no amount of foreign aid will solve the problem.

Yes, we have plenty of corruption here. Law enforcement personnel and their families are paid to assist the drug smugglers. Some are caught, but not enough to overcome the piles of money they are offered to look the other way.

We actually met Carlos Salinas de Gortari in 1994. He was at a Fiesta reception sponsored by a the Budweiser distributor here. No kidding, he was walking around with a name tag with his real name on it! We had a friend at the Mexican Consulate and let him know. He was surprised and displeased to say the least. The ex-Presidente was supposedly exiled to London, but was really living here right under their noses.

There are a lot of stories like that around here. A friend of mine was happy that her new neighbors from Mexico were renovating their house and landscaping their pool beautifully. Then they were all arrested and she learned they were leaders of one of the big Drug Cartels.

Ah, life in San Antonio.

o

LOL!!! Steff, you actually stood beside Salinas! He has killed and knocked off so many people, it's incredible. And what a story, you mean he wasn't in London but right in S.A. Wow.

Actually during his "exile", he regularly flew in and out of Mexico in his private jet, untouched. Looks like the Departure was S.A.

Officially he was a BAD man, officially "exiled" by the new President but good BBQ buddies on weekends.

When his term was up, his "successor" to the PRI Dictatorship was to be Collosio. While "campaigning", Collosio made some "negative" comments about the Salinas Gov't and how he would make it cleaner. Well, one week later, at a campaign speech, Collosio was fatally shot in the head at close range. The surprising thing was that no one was ever arrested or caught in the killing to this day. I always wondered how Salinas sleeps at night, nervous, checks all windows, etc. He is never seen in public in Mexico and I'm sure that will never change. Mind you, with all the "co-operation" with Cartels, he likely has some pretty serious lifetime bodygaurd protection from not so Mr. Niceguys :)

o

The Salinas thing seemed somewhat surreal at the time, especially the name tag. The issues were quite well known this side of the border even back then. I think his brother Enrique was living in SA and running a construction business so big brother Carlos must have been visiting and decided to head on over the party for a beer and some fajitas.

o

Hey Steff!

Ohhhh I just remembered a good story.

The last time I was in Sian Kaan on the Costa Maya, we were driving in my $250 VW Combi that, yes, I bought down there and with it decided to make the treacherous journey from Tulum. To put this into perspective, there is NO paved road all the way from the highway to the tip of the inlet. So it is huge craters, filled with water and mud and a maximum speed of 30 km/hr for 4 straight hours! Just what Plllog dreams of and, no potty!

Now because it is designated an Official UN Biosphere Reserve, there is:

1) No paved roads or making of one permitted.

2) No cement permitted for building. All Housing must be natural materials to the area.

3) Naturally only local Fisherman born there can live and hold title to property.

4) No building can exceed one storey.

So anyways after about only 15 minutes from the entrance of the Reserve, I saw this HUGE castle in front of the Ocean, made of solid Cement, 3 floors high, a special modern tarmac road leading off ours and all the way to the Ocean, Satellite towers, etc. etc. To my utter shock I asked my partner how it could be and his reply -Carlos Salinas Gortari. It was a 'Gift" from the Gobernador of Quintana Roo. I heard it also had a Heliport.

Ah Mexico where anything can change and nothing is for sure and politics is your ticket to Wealth.

o

Sounds like a nice place in a spectacular location. Tulum is beautiful. Hope he has enough security because one thing that can change quickly is the definition of who's in favor. Guess that's what the helipad is for.

o

Steff- Sian Kaan is truly spectacular. In my estimation, it has the best beaches I have ever witnessed worldwide. I stopped at the half way mark to walk the beach and the hues of turquoise and the texture of sand was exquisite. The sand actually squeaked as you walked upon. At some points the mainland is only 100 yards wide. Caribbean on one side, the fresh water laguna on the other.

There were short (Big $$) stay fishing lodges there with big boats. Today, I'm not sure. I stayed in my friends house in the actual village. A huge, beautiful, rustic, circular palapa with our hammocks on the walls.

We went fishing on the Reef only 200 meters from shoreline and there I had my first Shark encounter while underwater! My friend comforted me not to worry. It's the Baracuda's that are trouble. He said they will even attack your raft and are more vicious than a Shark. The one I touched and was beside was a Reef Shark-harmless. It pays to be with a trained Fisherman. It was amazing to see our lunch being speared with a gun underwater. Red Snapper.

o

:(

Narcos do more damage to our society and wellbeing than terrorists, but they get lauded in song rather than reviled.

o

Steff- Sian Kaan is truly spectacular. In my estimation, it has the best beaches I have ever witnessed worldwide. I stopped at the half way mark to walk the beach and the hues of turquoise and the texture of sand was exquisite. The sand was so fine it actually squeaked as you walked upon. At some points the mainland is only 100 yards wide. Caribbean on one side, the fresh water laguna on the other.

There were short (Big $$) stay fishing lodges there with big boats. Today, I'm not sure. I stayed in my friends house in the actual village. A huge, beautiful, rustic, circular palapa with our hammocks on the walls.

We went fishing on the Reef only 200 meters from shoreline and there I had my first Shark encounter while underwater! My friend comforted me not to worry. It's the Baracuda's that are trouble. He said they will even attack your raft and are more vicious than a Shark. The one I touched and was beside was a Reef Shark-harmless. It pays to be with a trained Fisherman. It was amazing to see our lunch being speared with a gun underwater. Red Snapper.

o
IKEA Midnight Madness

Holy finicky site, I thought I finally got the message through only to see that it actually went when I wrote it in the morning.

Polly, stop hiding. You know I only blow on your Vuvu in the morning.

OK just rolled in from the IKEA -Midnight Madness SALE (Patio Furniture) and almost fainted in the Kitchen Dep't when I saw the 24 inch Wall Ovens that almost came here (correction was here) and they were marked down to $299 from the $849 in the catalogue.

How much profit is in these things?? Or it may be an outright dumperoo since no one is buying the 24 inchers.

Nice deal for the TO Condo City Slickers.

BTW! It's Summer here!... finally and Plllog I hope you'll be making the Limonada tomorrow because Steff will dropping by at Noon sharp.

o

Sure. As long as it isn't that horrible papaya I can do that. I have a lot of lemons from my brother's tree.

o

Plllog! Be a good girl now and chew up those YUMMY Papaya seeds. You know they're good for you.

BTW that Papaya you got me from Whole Foods this week was seriously maybe the best and sweetest in my lifetime.

Steff, I can just imagine the Papaya supply you must gave in SA.

Hey, have you noticed lot of painting done in Mexico in Papaya color? It just occurred to me.

o

And yes if you're a good little and chew up your Papaya Seeds, you get a nice treat that I picked up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treats For Good Girls

o

And yes if you're a good little girl and chew up your Papaya Seeds, you get a nice special treat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treats For Good Girls

o

Plllog-Got a call from Le Creuset yesterday. They are contacting France to see how they can bring one here.

o

I checked out Sian Kaan and it looks beautiful and relaxing, the cabins are not that expensive at $100 plus $20 each person. Getting there might be a challenge. We did go snorkeling at Xel Ha which is nearby and quite beautiful. Never encountered a shark there, I think they keep them out with a net. Not a lot of coral there either. Nice snorkeling with some underwater arches and clear, clear water.

Huachinango a la Veracruzana is one of my favorite recetas. Plllog might have to request something different, but not Pulpo either I guess. I will have to check the price of Papaya, it's not usually on my list because I'm such a Mango fan. On Thursday, we had Mango chicken with homemade Mango chutney and rice perfectly cooked on the induction again. The glass lidded pan from Homegoods is great for rice because I can see if it's done without lifting the lid.

Is Le Creuset bringing in the Tempura rack in a different size or did I miss something else?

o

Steff-Ooooh you do have the flavor of Mexico and the Mexican bug.

Xel-Ha is no doubt stunning for snorkeling indeed. Isla Mujeres has a National Marine Park-Garafon I think it's called which is also really amazing. On my last trip I went to Cozumel and was quite disappointed with the snorkeling offshore.

Veracruzana- so Steff I think you would like the Mayan specialty Pescado al Tikincic. Spicy and very special flavor from the Achiote and Orange juice combination.

And this just in from Mexico. The latest news. And funny we should speak of the Devil because he's on his way back to power!

"Actually the "underground" economy is drug business, but do you know that 75% of the benefice stay in the USA and Europe, latin america producers and businessmen getting only 25%.

USA government was pretty angry with Salinas because he robbed Mexico for himself and his Mexican associates (slim), giving away very few to Americans. That changed with Zedillo, Fox and Calderon who are seen as heroes by the US.

An ex presidential candidate, senator and very rich lawyer-operator of Salinas in Mexico was kidnapped a month ago, because the US really fear that Salinas will be back soon in control.

As for your Veracruz friend I don't understand how the hundreds of killings in Veracruz state , (including last week the son and daughter in law of one of the most prominent veracruz businessman and close friend of the governor) can make it laugh, more so when you see how the bodies look like after, I assure you that compared to that, the Talibans are sweet angels."

o
Veracruz

Steff-Have you been to Veracruz?

o
Wok and Woll!

Steff- Sorry your question of the Wok Rack. Plllog needs it for Tempura but North America decided not to include it with the WOK. So, we're trying to reel one in from France where they are "standard equipment".

Plllog I think tried an everyday WOK rack but those don't fir the geometry of the Le Creuset WOK.

Speaking of, she better stop hiding in the bathroom. I told her her hair was OK!

o

My view of the "underground economy" was the habit of paying cash, everything is negotiable and essentially off the books. It's done a lot here in Texas too, pay cash and ask no questions. Mexico has changed now and not always for the better.

Uxmal is the closest I've been to Veracruz, but it is Mayan country and we enjoyed many of their best dishes including the ubiquitous Pollo Pibil. I don't think I had the dish you reference, but possible as we spent a week climbing las ruinas.

o

Sol, that bamboo thing is seriously cute. I am allergic to papaya so I'm not chewing any stinkin' seeds, and I don't have an iPad anyway, but the case is cute.

My hair is not fine! It's very mussed from the journey. I do have a little time to get ready, but there's partying to be done...

o

What partying! Thanks for the advance notice, but I guess I;ll just have to improvise. Where are we going?

o
Muy Saboroso!

Steff- Pollo Pibil uses achiote too. So the fish would be very similar with the delicious Red sauce.

The fish is always baked in a Banana Leaf with this sauce. Very healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steff's New Dinner Project!

o

The spices used in Pollo Pibil are wonderful so I'm sure the fish is great too. I'll definitely look for achiote at the store.

Your friend describes the horrific picture of the violence there that we have been seeing on the news here. Definitely time to avoid travel to Mexico. Even when tourists are involved, they can't seem to investigate and it is affecting their economy. Interesting how he views everything as being driven by what our US government thinks or does as if it is a single entity.

o

Steff-I think with your huge Mexican population you should get it in a Mexican grocery shop.

This violence does have me worried. My friend in Vera Cruz thinks nothing of it but one should be aware. As my friend pointed out, they kidnapped the son of that high profile businessman. Mind you Mexicans would say that's just the upper class and Police that are affected.

But my Vera Cruz friend also told me that discos are being targeted. Last week some Zetas (Gang) showed up at a disco, disposed of the "Doormen", and kept everyone hostage inside. I don't understand this strategy since the kids in the dicos are their "market" and clientele. That's where they buy and take drugs, so why ruin one of your "money pads".

I always travel Public Bus in Mexico. So that can be quite risky on 3-4 hour bus rides. Easy to rob, etc.

Again, Mexico was rated higher than Iraq and Afghanistan on the World Safety Index.

Looks like they haven't learned the art of car bombing yet. I guess you need training from the IRA for that. Yes that's true. I met a "serious" Irish guy who told me that's where the intelligence and know how comes from. Ex IRA bomb experts were hired in Iraq and Afghanistan to train locals.

o

Above.

That rating meant that Mexico rated more dangerous than Iraq-Afgh.

o

Can we go back to building castles in France?

This is a very very sad tangent...

o

Awwww. Poor Polly. She's a lover and a California Peace girl. Don't worry I am NOT booking you on the Acapulco cruise trip.

We're going Snorkeling to Fiji with Steff. She's already there!

And please, don't worry about the hair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Underwater Time

o

Pretty fishies.

o
Colorful Fijian Fishies Part XX11!

Ohh so you like pretty fishies tickling your toes underwater?

If you behave, we can go to the Monaco beach on weekends and have a little tickly there too.

o
Plllog's Lucky Day!

Oh Plllog!

I almost for got but thought about you at Wegman's on the weekend.

They have these prepared meals -$6 meals- but they had a special counter with Kosher $6 Meals. Great Huh? I have never seen that in a Canadian supermarket.

America. Amazing. Anything for the Consumer.

And thanks to you and Steff, I bought Jar #2 of Pace Medium. Am I hooked on Pace now?

Steff, the Tortilla Chips are a home run. I repeat almost NO salt. Finally!!

P.S. The Bad News. If I buy one of the $6 Meals for you, it'll be cold by the time I get to LA :(

o

That's okay, Solly. We have kosher food here, though not prepared meals in the grocery. There's probably a big kosher community near where you were, with few stores. Here, people just go to the kosher stores. Kosher food is too salty. They use salt to draw the blood out of the meat. This whole fad of "brining" meats seems to come from it. Ugh!

o

Brining is good, though. We've brined the Thanksgiving turkey two years in a row and plan to continue because it turns out great.

The fish are pretty, haven't been snorkeling in a while. Fiji looks beautiful, but it's a long way from here.

o

But Steff, we have airplanes! And plus it ain't happening close to home after BP.

So so sad. I cry when I see the struggling birds.

I guess the fish might be spared since oil floats and they are underwater! Plus Pelicans can't come down and swoop them anymore.

o
Sink Basket Dilema

Could the design team please advise on what color drain basket we should get for the new White Kohler sink?

If we get the Tuscan Bronze faucet? (that's still the desired color right?)

Should the drainer basket match the faucet? If so, is it strange to have a dark brown basket inside a White sink?

Help! I have no idea :(

o

Good question! The drainer basket should match the drain flange. The basket usually comes with it. You could do bronze to match the faucet or stainless just because these things always are. In a super fancy duper deluxe kitchen the latter might look odd, but in a normal, we be cookin' here, kitchen, especially a colorful Mexican one, I think it would just look normal.

o

BTW, Steff, that's why I think brining came from the kosher meats--people used to buy them because they were so tender. I just do herbs and wine because I don't like the salt taste, but I do get it about it coming out nicely!

o
Colorful Kitchen Sink Baskets+Flanges Part 1

Polly, that was my instinct too. Would I want to look down at this Dark Brown thing in the middle of a spankin new White Cast iron sink?

Now when you say Stainless, do you mean Nickel or Polished Chrome flange+basket?

o

Polly, I think you should add that I don't like the salt also.

Remember when I hid your salt shaker under the Laundry tub?

o

Nope. Don't remember that at all. Actually, it wasn't my salt shaker.

Though I have to say, one of the worst things to hit Fine Dining is this "seasoning in layers" trend. It makes everything way salty! I'm going to have to ask for no salt, which is a pain...

o

If by nickel you mean brushed then go with that because the shiny stainless won't stay that way very long anyway.

I don't like a lot of salt either. I think brine really works with turkey because it infuses the otherwise bland turkey with flavor. Our recipe uses vinegar and sugar along with the salt and herbs. I do cut back on the salt in the brine so I guess it's more of a marinade. We keep it in a cooler overnight so it doesn't need to be preserved in salt.

Of course we have airplanes to get to places like Fiji, but I really have to be up for it. Planes are icky and long plane trips are not fun.

The oil spill is mostly headed east away from the Texas coast. Snorkeling doesn't work here anyway because the water is not clear enough in the shallow areas. They are shipping rescued pelicans here to keep them out of the oil. If we get a hurricane then the oil will be pushed back this way. It's a shame, the delta is an amazing place and Destin is a beautiful beach.

o

See that, Sol! You're going to have to find out if those New Zealand green fuel experiments have worked out so you can get a Gulfstream to fly Steff out in style!

o
Special Present For Steff!

Just to get you primed for the flight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathing Suit...

o

Oh! What Green fuel experiments? You mean the dandelions I want to burn on my lawn?

o
Present For Plllog

To cheer you up from the Mexican Blues!

094F21B48A474F898C5D9856033D25BE

A Mexican Sunflower

o

Burning dandelions is bad for the air. Think mulch.

Pretty flower.

o

Very pretty Zinnia. Pulling the dandelions before they go to seed will get them under control.

The underwater video is beautiful. I prefer snorkeling, closer to the surface.

o

Still stripping!

About another full day left I figure.

Wow. A lot of work and $$. At least I have a student doing it.

o

Who says being Canadian has no advantages?

I quote:

"It works with the carrier of your choice.
Buy your iPhone from the Apple Online Store and choose your own GSM carrier. You can change carriers at any time.

It’s easy to set up.
Get a compatible SIM (iPhone 3GS) or micro-SIM card (iPhone 4) and select a plan from the carrier of your choice. Then insert the card and set up your iPhone using iTunes on your Mac or PC. With a few clicks, you can start making calls.

It works internationally.
Because this iPhone is commitment-free, you can purchase a micro-SIM or SIM card and service from a local carrier at your destination. Or check with your home carrier regarding international roaming charges."

With Verizon and T-Mobile coming on board as the next iPhone carriers and AT &T's poor signals, Americans may want to tippy toe North of the Border and buy the real deal. No contracts, no strings attached.

Only available in Canada.

o

Just found this amazing article.

Its dead on the money from my experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazing!

o

I'm tired. I was trying to read your thing, and thought there was a metaphor to how good marketing works, and that he was talking about America On-Line. Then it got all weird and I had a dissociative feeling until the world righted and I figured it out.

o
News Headline on CBC National!!

On a massive International study done worldwide, when asked:

If they had a choice to live in their own country or move to Canada, 1/3 of all American respondents said they would move to Canada.

Wow!

During the BUSH Administration, the US Applicants to Canada were 800% or more than at any other previous time.

o

And yes, this G20 Summit (big money wasting- One Billion Dollars!!!!!) has basically closed off

"Fortress Toronto".

;;;;; Sheesh

Here is a link that might be useful: An Armed Camp!

o
Fortress Toronto

Canada must be a financial powerhouse to be able to throw a Billion dollars out like confetti.

Shame. While the Gulf of Mexico is ruined.

Here is a link that might be useful: Detailed Fortress View

o

Um... Ask those same Americans surveyed what the capital of Canada is, and how the gov't is structured and they won't have a clue. They certainly don't know any Canadian history or current events. Maybe some who live near the border and get Canadian TV do, but I'm pretty well informed and don't know a heck of a lot. Most Americans don't even really know anything about the U.S., let alone Canada. The people surveyed were probably just thinking that it's less crowded and (unfortunately) white. Not that the latter is really true, but a whole heck of a lot of Americans long for a never was when the society was homogeneous.

o

Did Canada pay for it all? Didn't any of the guests chip in?

o

NO

o

Well, that's rude.

o

Much of that article on Art of Living could describe many organizations and organized religion as well.

I haven't met too many Americans who know a lot about Canada so it's hard to say what their motivation is. It goes the other way too. I have met several doctors who left Canada in order to practice medicine here.

G20 looks like an opportunity for the leaders to party and very little gets done. Didn't realize the host nation picks up the entire tab.

The Kemp's Ridley sea turtles have hatched and are now headed straight into the oil. There are folks out there trying to help, but even rescued sea turtles have a low survival rate.

o

Steff-The Sea Turtle news is so sad. It is such a beautiful, precious creature. I literally get sick to my stomach even seeing other animals digging up their eggs to eat. But the ruin of their lives even before it has begun is unfortunate.

I didn't realize that rescued sea turtles have low rates of survival.

Yes this G20 is such a sham. A Billion Dollar party. One can sympathize with the fury of the protestors. While people in Africa are dying with aids, starving and homeless in Haiti, without medicine in Asia, politicians in Toronto are wining and dining on Salmon and Caviar.

My Niagara Wineries are boasting of those that will be served during the summit.

Shame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Turtle Sanctuary Praia do Forte Brasil

o
Precious Sea Turtles Part XX11!

This is the project in Brasil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Projeto Tamar

o
Hey

Plllog- Can I get one for... you know?

o
South Africa World Cup 2010

So ya think all this Futbol isn't affecting us men?

Here is a link that might be useful: And the Ladies?

o

Get one what?

Steff, you're right about the motivations. I was just in a sour mood and making grand statements after dealing with too many people who are Europeans--fairly recent arrivals too!--who talk about all kinds of things that boil down to code for "white, English speaking". I admit to thinking that folks who live here should work at acquiring a good working knowledge of English, but that's more for their own good than mine, and I certainly don't devalue them if they don't! Then these people complain about the "quality" of the student bodies in the public schools because so many of the American born are ESL, let alone the actual immigrants. To which point all I can think is well then, why aren't you out there demanding better teacher training and support so that these kids can be taught English and taught in English instead of leaving them floundering out there to pick it up by osmosis. But then these same naysayers just plunk down $20K/yr. for private schools where they have a few tokens to demonstrate "diversity" without any real diversity of thought, or real integration of the scholarship students into the social fabric of the schools, and abandon the public schools as a lost cause, further separating themselves from the "other", who are generally good, decent people, whose acquaintance would enrich the lives of them as have too much money and not enough sense, perspective, fellowfeeling and compassion.

The G summit used to be 7. 20 is a lot! No wonder it's a billion dollars. I guess each gets a turn paying for it when the circus comes to town. In theory, the good of it is that the leaders can talk freely to each other, whisper in each others' ears, and identify each other as people, rather than by their offices. This is all good for the world. It's a lot harder to betray and attack an ally you've broken bread with, let alone had a beer with. And when they add up the costs of these things they don't include the benefits, like how it serves as a disaster preparedness and communications test, how they charge a lot of needed infrastructure updates to the event because it forces their hand not to put them off anymore but which were needed and scheduled anyway (if delayed for budget concerns), how all the circus entourage, press, etc., bring in a lot of lodging money, how world press brings international PR to the host, etc. I'm not saying it still doesn't cost a lot, but they pump up the costs for better headlines, and don't measure them against the other side of the balance sheet.

o

A little Sea Turtle for the Chateau.

o

NO

No yanking animals out of their habitats unless those have been destroyed and rescue is the only way to prevent certain death.

o

But that's what I'm doing!

You heard Steff. The Kemp's Ridley. They're in trouble.

o

But...Sol...a chateau in the Dordogne? Don't you think getting the poor turtle there is going to cause a lot of stress? Rescue doesn't mean make into pets. It means supporting them with medical intervention, and as close a facsimile to their native habitat, in as close as possible to their actual home, to minimize their stress, and allow them to forage rather than being fed. No airplane rides for sea turtles! Or trains for that matter. At least, let them breathe the sea air even if they have to be kept from actually going into the water.

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XX11!

Awww Polly-You're such a meanie!

Will I EVER get something my way?

o

LOL!! Of course you will! Try harder. No torturing sea turtles.

Though teasing you is awfully fun....

You can have a bunny! They make much better pets, and calm you down when you're anxious.

o

OK

Som Tam for Dinner tonight!

;;;;;Yayyy!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yummm

o

That looks lovely! Enjoy! (Someone has to eat all those papayas!)

o

Not someone.

Us, weese, nosotros! Steff's gonna love it.

FYI- I was on my hands and knees making this.

o
big news!!!!!

We just had an

EARTHQUAKE!

6.5 on the Richter scale. It was near Ottawa but felt all the way here near the US Border!!

Hopefully no "new" cracks in my walls :)

o

Hm... Hands and knees. Someone doesn't know how to cook? Is using the new wok in the fireplace? ?

And welcome to sunny Southern California. Be prepared for aftershocks.

o

Som Tam does look good. Did the earthquake put you on the floor to prepare dinner? Papayas are 78 cents each, nice size but I still didn't buy them. Memories of an encounter with dried Papaya still linger. Mexican Pineapples have jumped up from a dollar to $1.50 each. I often think of the risk those truck drivers must take to bring these things to us.

No, no Sea turtle pets. Sea turtles should remain in their native habitat as much as possible. BTW, I should have written that the adults have finished laying eggs and are headed out to sea. The hatchlings will not appear for another week or two. There will be quite a few volunteers on the beach to watch over them. Meanwhile, the oil continues to spread.

Plllog, of course I realized you probably had something specific in mind and I was just making more of a general statement. The "English only" debate is one I don't care for either. It's mostly brought up by those who think they understand the problem, but really haven't a clue. If they really want to know what the assistants in the salon are saying then learn a little Spanish.

o

Oh, Steff, I know you were! I just can't control the sour and went off again. You were absolutely right.

o

Shopping today and microfiber hair drying towels caught my eye. They felt nice, looked pretty and came with a little case. I looked at the label and saw "made in China" and decided to pass them by but wondered if the towels were made in China or just the label. See how Solly has changed my perception.

o

LOL!! I have a really really old one (25 years?) that I took for travel. Don't know where it was made. I don't use it often, but it hasn't disintegrated, which some petrochemical fabrics can. It did lose the yummy from age though.

There are some good products made in China, but it depends on the quality control of the importing company. I admit to buying a garden table and chairs at the supermarket when I moved in to this house. I was low on funds and would have gone without, rather than spending more than the $250 I paid. The cushions faded fast, but I bought it because the chairs are comfy just on the metal. The coating has been breaking off, especially where people have insisted on standing on the chairs, but it's held up well otherwise, and is pretty. And still comfy. And I don't have to have fancy covers. Just hose it off now and then. Sometimes cheap crap is good.

o

"As many of you know, this is the year of Turquoise – thus sayeth Pantone. So I encourage everyone to go a different direction – let’s give the underdog colors a chance! Saffron, Lichen, Cappuccino, Citron, Paprika, Eggplant … these are colors that need your support!" --Ivette Soler (aka Germinatrix and LA garden designer)

Just love that quote from her blog! Something to keep in mind as I work through the kitchen island color issue.

Sure, I have lots of stuff around the house from China and it performs quite well. I may check out those towels again when I return an item next week. I've always used those small lightweight terry cloth "gym" towels for my hair. But since an update of all things bath related is in the works, the microfiber would be a nice addition.

o

See how Solly has changed my perception.

LOL!!! Steff. While you posted that, I was having a smashing time dealing with...China-Quality-Problems. Yup, 3,000 pcs of wrong production!

While it would it be impossible for me to give you a kind word about China and Chinese goods, it is only from the past five years of doing business with them that I am fully experienced.

My Golden saying "once they have your money, good luck in resolution to problems". I remember three years ago, buying goods from a Supplier and when the order was bad (which I accidentally discovered!), rather than redoing the order or subtracting the amount from the invoice, they did nothing! They played a cat and mouse game waiting to measure my reaction, which was all or nothing. His "offer", we can give you a 5% discount on all "future" orders. Yes if you do the math, that would be 20 orders later and you would finally get your credit.

When any quality issue occurred with my German Suppliers, the amount was automatically credited off the invoice. No questions asked.

Another Supplier. Sent lovely glowing samples, likely not even made in China, and the production was pure GARBAGE. I was and still am utterly ashamed to have had our name on it. Same Supplier, we received an email from a consumer that their face was covered in Blue Dye when wiping their face after exercise!

This time, I had to actually argue with the (pkg) Supplier that you made the wrong color. But it's a Chinese thing called losing face. Something Stephen Harper seemed to forget when he went to 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

In the end they said "Although you approved the color, we will still remake it without charge to maintain such a good Customer". They didn't lose face and we can continue business. NOTE: this is only packaging. We would never produce actual product there.

Interestingly, I received an email from one of my former contacts of my present Supplier saying she had moved onto another company and her new company recently received an inquiry to produce my goods from my Supplier!

Very interesting, I thought I was doing business with my Supplier but they actually farmed my order out. Makes sense, hence the mistake.

Anyways Steff. I better stop because China and I do not wear the same silky sleeves. And it is humiliating for Manufacturers who strive to sell superior quality to have to face Chinese competition. Like the Martha Stewart Enamelled Cast Iron. Looks great in the shop.

Nice to hear your story about wanting a hair towel. I worked on the design of a "Hair Wrap" to accompany our "Body Wrap" which were targeted to the female Spa Market. It was really a beautiful silky soft towel with very subtle natural herbal scent (Lavender or Jasmine) and Vitamin E impregnated into the towel. The Lavender was a Purple towel. The Jasmine a White towel.

o
Interesting Ending

Steff-furher to above. This time I was determined in my resolve. After the pathetic exchange for replacing the wrong goods, we immediately notified the bank to hold payment, not the full payment, (adjusted accordingly to the Qty. of wrong goods), and began immediate sourcing of new Suppliers.

It was eery and almost as if our Supplier was listening, because after 2 days, we received the conciliatory reply to make good.

o

Those issues with Chinese production are not new. A friend was one of the first Americans to manage a factory in China back in the 1980's. He found quality impossible to control because the workers expected to be paid for showing up and not for production. Product was being turned out upside down, backwards, wrong material mixed, etc. The managers had no concept of quality and could not implement the standards. At the same time his company was (and still is) being skewered all around the world for the low wages they paid their workers.

o
'Fortress' Toronto- An Embarrassment to Canada

After coming back from the "outskirts of TO" last night, it was sickening too see.
Police cars taking refuge at all highway onramps, major intersections etc.

But more eloquently put by our very own award winning Toronto Star Journalist Linda Diebel:

"It's a sad admission, but I used to feel somewhat smug about being Canadian and writing for a Toronto newspaper, during my years as a foreign correspondent in Latin America.

Yes, yes, it's disconcerting. I would sympathize who visited me at home base in Mexico City. They were always shocked at the show of armed force at every bank or shopping mall, and the army roadblocks that had to be endured on road trips outside the capital. For me, it was routine, part of the ongoing assault on human rights I so often witnessed in covering Latin America.

I don't feel so smug anymore. If Canada-and my city Toronto-was ever innocent, it doesn't feel that way anymore. Not after the Ontario Gov't passed secret legislation giving special arrest powers to police, an action that used to be more in the style of Latin American dictators.

I walked the perimeter of the three-meter high chain-link fence along Wellington street yesterday, on a Friday like this city has never seen, and listened to peoples mostly dismayed reaction to the lockdown for the G20 Summit in Toronto.

Several mentioned the $1 billion-plus cost, others talked of the overwhelming presence of police (14,000 in total), the ugliness of the massive fence or the ominous feel on what should be a bustling summer afternoon.

Overwhelmingly, they said their city had become unrecognizable, it no longer felt like home.

"It's like a ghost town" said Jane Frank, 54, who fought to keep her business, La Limonada, open against advice of Police and City officials.

"The effect is to instill fear in us"

From 7 am. to 3 PM, the entire city core and Finacial Districts were deserted."

Earlier Friday, before Police moved onto University on horseback to block protesters from the US Consulate, the mood was more relaxed. What stood out, however, was the difference in the way Police treated citizens. While officers often smiled and flirted with young women-ogling them as they passed or shouting lines like, "Hey, wanna trade hats?"-they reserved rougher treatment for male youths.

At one point, seven officers stopped and circled a teenage boy with a skateboard at the intersection of Yonge and King. He was a skinny kid and blinked in seeming bewilderment."

o
Canadians Must Say -Enough of Harper

Toronto Star Editorial Saturday June 26, 2010:

Since when do Canadians have to submit to police scrutiny for strolling down the street in broad daylight? We don't do "Papers please". "The Charter of Rights and age-old common law affirm our right to go peacefully about our business without having to identify ourselves to police, much less submit to searches.

Except in Toronto at the 2010 G20 Summit this weekend.

As The Star reported on Friday, York University graduate student and environmental activist Dave Vasey got into potentially serious trouble when he and a friend were exploring the outside perimeter of the chain-link fence that encloses the summit site. Police stopped Vasey and demand that he identify himself. When he balked they arrested him and held him for hours inside a wire cage.

This is outrageous. If it doesn't infringe his Charter right to "peaceful assembly", it crowds it needlessly. No one on the outside of the security zone should face such harassment. There aren't even any signs warning people that they are in a controlled area. But they are, as Vasey discovered to his shock.

Three weeks ago, under the auspices of an obscure WW11 Public Works Protection Act, The Ontario Gov't quietly passed a legislation at the police chief's request, that declares the summit zone and the area five meters beyond to be a "public work". There was no legislative debate or even a public announcement.

But rather than deter protests, the measure fanned flames by reinforcing the "police state" message of anti-summit activists. An angry protest took place on downtown streets last evening.

Up in Huntsville, meanwhile, police detained veteran Canadian Press reporter Terry Pedwell for hours on Thursday while they questioned him, checked with his Editor, and searched his car. That too was ham-handed security.

The Canadian Gov't has spent $1 Billion turning the summits into armed camps defended by fences, warplanes, 10,000 police and troops, water cannon and sound cannons. That ought to suffice to protect Barack Obama, Hu Jintao and other notables from protesters intent on creating havoc or from terrorists intent on worse.

In case some of Blair's officers haven't noticed, peaceful activists, curious passerby and tourists taking happy snaps aren't the enemy. They don't deserve to be arrested just for being on the streets."

o

Benjamin Franklin reputedly said: Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

o
Amen-It's Finally Over.

Since the entire Financial District and virtually all of downtown TO was closed Friday, it just occurred to me that the Billion Dollar cost of the G20 was actually underestimated.

Let's see at least 20,000 workers @ $250/day = $5 Million + all retail business that closed for 3 straight days=?? Millions.

As a business, I would not have been too pleased to have paid out salaries for an absentee day let alone lose sales at Retail.

Interesting to know what images you saw in America of the Summit.

o

Queen Elizabeth has just arrived in Canada in pounding rain.

Looks like this is Canada's month for visits from the rich and powerful.

o
Proper Etiquette

Just a reminder to you ladies, you must wear hats before 6 PM and curtsy when greeting Her Majesty.

o
Uhummm

Plllog-stop being so secretive.

What's going on with your Kitchen?

o

The guy to put the panel on the DW is coming Thursday rather than tomorrow.

Not a secret.

o
Polly's Papaya's Update

We interrupt today's FIFA 2010 World Cup Match with this special update.

Local Papaya price is $2.99

For any Texans paying .79 cents, they should be ashamed of themselves!

Such inequality leads to violence as the G20 summit just showed :)

o

25 years ago, pineapples in Germany in December were $10 apiece, and hard as rock. It's all about context. You want good produce, move to California or Israel.

o

Oh yeah. Well explain this!

Salmon is the same price here as in your Supermarket.

o

Ashamed? Not now, I'm too busy picking out yummy fruit. We have awesome local peaches too. Not cheap but very good. The peaches we get from California are picked too green. The figs are ripening and they're free unless you count having to pick them. Nothing to report from the pomegranate trees yet.

I had wondered if you got a better price on Salmon. Can't explain that unless TO is farther from the source.

No curtsy and I don't wear hats except in the sun.

On the G8/G20 we saw the usual variety of images. Leaders walking near a lake on a chilly day, people smashing windows in TO, attendees meeting, cars burning in the street, attendees giving speeches, someone tearing a mannequin's limbs off in front of a shop.

o

Supply and demand. Even though it's closer to you when it's caught, it still has to be transported to you, and there isn't nearly as much of it as there are people who'd eat more of it if it cost less. So they set the price at the highest they can and still sell all their fish. Econ 101.

Papayas aren't inexpensive here and in TX because they're grown nearer. They're inexpensive because there's a big demand for papayas (eeew) and they ship a lot of them in knowing there's a market. Then, because there are so many papayas, some places sell them for less so you'll buy there. And because la tienda del barrio has less expensive papayas, el gran supermercado has to have them for less too, and because it's less there, the big chain store has to have them for less. They're probably a bit higher at Gelson's, but there they only have the very best, and you have to pay a little to keep them in business. The dinosaur egg plumcots are $2.99/lb. currently.

o

Yeah!! What's up with the unfriendly Canadian hooligans??? Huh?

o

But Polly, who says they're Canadian? They could be transplants from Seattle. We all remember how lovely that Summit was.

o

Seattle people are pretty mellow. I think they're probably from Europe or something. I was just teasing you. BTW, did you see all the police presence for the Lakers? We never used to have hooliganism (gangs and riots, yes, burning car celebrations, no), then it happened in Detroit, which had very serious social ills at the time, and the creepy people here learned it from TV. Sigh.

o

It's a funny thing but seems like change and revolution only comes through violence, in the modern day anyways. My idol, Ghandi, did it without.

It seems like without violence, gov't will not willingly change. Think Rodney King L.A. Riots and the infamous French who WILL turn the country upside down should the Gov't dare to wrong them. And for that I respect the French.

Unlike North Americans/Germans/British who just mope and sulk at disagreement, the French people make their point very clearly. And the Gov't listens very quickly .

"Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité"

o
Change

It's a funny thing but seems like change and revolution only comes through violence, in the modern day anyways. My idol, Ghandi, did it without.

It seems like without violence, gov't will not willingly change. Think Rodney King L.A. Riots and the infamous French who WILL turn the country upside down should the Gov't dare to wrong them. And for that I respect the French.

Unlike North Americans/Germans/British who just mope and sulk at disagreement, the French people make their point very clearly. And the Gov't listens very quickly .

"Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité"

o

I just lost my post not once, not twice, but three times!!

;;;;; GRRRR

o

Econ 101, yes, supply and demand. Things are not priced based on the cost of production but what the consumer will pay. Vinyl handbags with fancy initials usually cost more than well made leather from a lesser known label.

Goods made in China always amaze me how they can assemble and package something and ship it across the Pacific. Then deliver it to my town where the store stocks it and sells it for $1 or so.

These days the violence seems to be on the part of those who don't want change as in Greece. Not exactly sure what brings protestors to those meetings, but in the past they were against something called "globalization" which makes no sense if you listen to their interviews. We were in Paris during one of those protests and it was not fun. They broke windows across the street from our hotel. The building housed a group called "UNIE", guess the protestors didn't like the concept.

o

Looks like someone did their homework right.

Polly, have you got yours?

o

Are you kidding? I'm not going to bother until they get it right. Who wants a phone that doesn't work as a phone when you hold it like a phone?

I think the whole protest thing is about Anarchists of the world Unite! It's a great graffito but the irony is lost on those it applies to.

o

Looks like someone did their homework right.

Polly, have you got yours?

o

Not to mention the multitasking issues.

o

OK Senoritas,

A little treat from SAN LORENZO DEL ESCORIAL-ESPANA

2EC7FA5D954F4398B63B7096327920BD

o

Brrrr,

It's freezing outside. 17C in July! :(

o
Think South Africa!

P.S.

All the reason more to stay inside and enjoy the 2010 FIFA World Cup FREE!!

Sorry USA-Yes I did vote against you; and for GHANA. We must have an African team and they are the only one left :(

o
Solution From Polly's Shrink!

Are you kidding? I'm not going to bother until they get it right. Who wants a phone that doesn't work as a phone when you hold it like a phone?

Well my dear Madam, perhaps you need a little Eco Bumper to spruce, I mean Bamboo, things up.

063638-4gmockup_1_large

o

Oh, Sol, that is cute. Though it would be even better without the stuff on the back. And it's perfectly okay to root for Ghana. Rooting for Brazil, unless you're Brazilian or have a friend on the team or something, is just overkill.

Actually, I liked the hand feel of the old one better. I'm only thinking of switching for the multitasking and for the app filing and ability to handle so many more apps.

Over the weekend, I at least figured out why my current addresss book wasn't syncing correctly. The blasted thing was trying to sync the wrong file! I finally figured out that I could wipe out the address book by syncing to gmail, then resync it to the right file. Sheesh!

o
SAMBA Fever!

Uhummm...

You're talking to the Samba Headquarters here.

Coração du Brasil.

It is our Cup!

o

Exactly! No need to cheer for someone who owns it! Root for your own team or an underdog. Spread it around.

o

Sigh;;;;;; But that is my team.

o
Real Samba

You want real samba?

This is the sound now in South Africa.

Here is a link that might be useful: OK You Get Good Samba

o
Polly's Papaya's and Samba Update

But this one may just be too hot for you chiquita.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mas Samba!

o

Nah, uh!!! You already said you were rooting for Gambia!!! And not once have you ever said anything in Portuguese! You're just shamming!!

o

Steff-Thanks for the warm sympathies.

The weather man just rang in and yes we will hit the Texan style 40 degrees by weekend.

Yipeee!

Plllog- You can cancel the seats to Cancun and now you can have your Tagine

Here is a link that might be useful: But The Real McCoy!

o

But...it's still gloomy and awful here! It even rained. In JUNE!

Those are really pretty tagines. The trick of the Le Creuset is that the bottom is cast iron. Considering that clay tagines have been working perfectly fine for centuries I'm not sure why that's a good thing, but it's unique.

o
GHANA-Africa's Last Remaining Hope!

Gambia? No silly, GHANA! Yes rooting for secretly.

But make no mistake, mi Coração es du Brasil!

720px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg

o

40C? That's pretty warm isn't it? We haven't seen that heat here yet. We've just hit 80oF today. Tropical Storm Alex is sending rain our way which is almost unheard of around here this time of year. Plllog would find it interesting with the curved bands of clouds and clear sky it really looks just like the radar.

Irony is the perfect word for the protestors.

Of course we can get a real tagine at an import shop. Somehow the Le Creuset tagine looks special even though it's not a real tagine which is unglazed.

o
Duvet's-Man's Greatest Invention!

Ouch. Your poor head.

Oh Oh Quick, get the Duvet's out!

The Weatherman just said 10 Degrees tonight! Brrrrr.

Oh well, so much for bikini sales. And glad I'm not in that biz.

But must say, that would look quite interesting on a Business Card
Title-Bikini Buyer

o
Talk About Crosspost Steff

Irony is the perfect word for the protestors.

:::: LOL Steff!

o

BTW Steff- There is OUTRAGE here about this Summit.

From today's paper:

"Seventeen-year-old Lulu Maxwell says she was drawing peace signs on a sidewalk at a meeting place for protestors when she was arrested Sunday by Police. Twelve hours later she was released. She was never charged."

There has been documented police brutality, abuse, etc etc. all things that will only fuel and enlist many more to join future G20 protests.

This is outrageous in such an advanced country like Canada.

True Story:

While I was in University, one summer I was seeking a new room to board in downtown TO. Upon arrival to check out the room, the lovely housemate girl said, "BTW I have to be honest with you, if you end up living with us, you could come under surveillance. I am an active Gov't protestor and RCMP have been parked in front of our house many times!" My picture has also been taken at all the protests on Queen's Park."

To this day, I am disgusted by the so called "freedom and democracy" of Canada or for that matter America.

That's why I tell people in Cuba, we are no different than you. People watch you, brutalize you, abuse you, just as in your communist state.

Anytime you stand up to or question Authority, you are a "criminal, terrorist, troublemaker etc."

For the record, my ex-roomate Pam was the sweetest, kindest, most sympathetic girl ever. And yes, I took the room just so I COULD be a part of the "rogue house" which I might add was all girls :)

o
Was It Worth It?

Toronto Star Editorial- Monday June 28

A Brutal Spectacle That Failed a City And It's People

"The G20 security strategy has been spectacularly successful at cocooning the world's leading politicians and staggeringly ineffective at protecting the property and peace of mind of Torontonians. And the one, inevitably, led to the other.

By bringing in thousands of heavily armed strangers and throwing up barricades everywhere to regular traffic, frightening off good and decent citizens, Canadian authorities created a ghost town in the heart of our city.

Perfect for the political leaders. Protesters were kept blocks away from where the deliberations were going on.

And most protestors conducted themselves faultlessly as the global good and great met behind rings of gulag-like fencing and battalions of police beating Plexiglass shields with batons in a primitive show of might.

It was, however, less than perfect for the city, it's businesses and it's inhabitants. The only force that can prevent vandalism and mayhem in a city is the presence of it's population. Surely that was the lesson every urban planner learned from looking south to the hollowed-out urban war zones of the United States in the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's.

No police force, no matter how large, how well armed, how empowered to limit the civil rights of citizens, can stop vandalism in the empty shell of a city. Canadian authorities have proved that two days and two nights running.

The strategy that ensured G20 leaders would never have to see a Canadian who wasn't a politician, a police officer or waiter lacked even a glimmer of common sense when it came to the security of Toronto and Torontonians.

They took our city to hold a meeting and bullied us out of the core, damaging the commerce of thousands of merchants and inconveniencing the entire population. Then, they failed to protect our property. Along Yonge St., as self described anarchists were smashing stores unopposed, terrified merchants and their staffs sought shelter behind counters and in basements. If these establishments had been set alight, all of the thousands of fearsomely equipped police would have been able to do little more to save our citizens than they did to save their burning cruisers.

For the last few days, the city has looked like a vast reality TV set, where heavily garbed gladiators in black, burdened under bullet proof vests, guns, walkie-talkies, shields and batons, try to chase down a wild, quick footed band of anti-gladiators in black sweat suits and bandanas. And it cost us $1.2 Billion to stage and choreograph this grossly unequal contest.

Canadian authorities knew that this overweening show of paramilitary hubris would draw the violent dregs of nihilism from around the world. Previous summits offered stark and certain warnings. Given that, the attempt to provide security for the city and it's inhabitants has been a sad and disturbing failure.

What is the critical lesson?

Don't even try to hold international political conferences with this kind of explosive ideological charge in the heart of a major urban centre. You sacrifice either the safety of the politicians or the safety of the city.

The idea that this was an effective way to show off Toronto to foreign guests is bewilderingly stupid.

Canadian authorities created a city no citizen could recognize and no visitor could admire. Then, they allowed a pack of brutes to trash it."

o

That's why they have mid-east summits at Camp David.

And if you understand about my head, surely you can understand that at least I got a G country in West Africa!

Oh! And we have TV now! In the kitchen. The potatoes were crying their eyes out.

o

I say take the 20 leaders to the Arctic, sit them in igloo with their own lunch-boxes, and when they're done yapping, ship them back home in their own planes. Better yet, tell them to all buy the new iPhone 4 and they can do FaceTime, FREE, from the comfort of their own homes!

Oh, your poor head. OK Ghana will forgive you.

But TV? Like 27 inch iMac so you have Internet for Papaya salad recipes?

o

Polly-I thought you'd like all the Samba dancing treats.

o
Window Call

Steff- Would I be considered a wimp if I closed the bedroom windows tonight?

I mean 10 degrees is a lucky winter day. Not Summer.

Lucky Manilla.

I'll believe the 40C on Sunday when I actually see it.

o

There's been so much chatter about the new iPhone's performance but the real question remains...

Here is a link that might be useful: Will It Blend?

o

Another question is:

Will it do Hollywood Features?

Here is a link that might be useful: Steven Who?

o

Better question: Will it do multitasking without crashing?

o

That is the whole point of the new iOS. I can't see Apple making that a feature that doesn't work.

o

Word on the street is that it doesn't...

o
iDud?

Oh boy :(

o
Well Done

Congratulations on the Promotion Polly!

o

Promotion? Did I miss something?

No difference between us and Cuba? Only members of the ruling party get deodorant. That's just one difference right off the top. We may be headed that way, but we're definitely not there yet.

o

LOL!!! Steff-Actually don't underestimate Cuba. The last time I was in Havana, I had dinner at a Palladar (privately owned restaurant in your own home) and the house made mine look like a rustic cottage. Stunning! Contrary to popular belief, Castro does have full fledged free enterprise and is doing a great job at it. And I haven't been back for over 5 years. I can just imagine now.

Cubans themselves are the best commerce people I have seen in all of latin America! They have access to the same Samsung flatscreens, LG Frontloaders, SONY VAIO laptops etc. etc. The women are impeccably dressed, with the all the girly works- nail-hair-eye-parfum, etc. The guys are "ultra cool" = NIKE-La Coste Polos etc. etc.

A U of T Prof friend wrote a personal letter to Brian Mulroney some 15 years ago voicing his displeasure on what a poor leader he was. Well, the next time he was off to Florida, he was told at the Airport that he could not board because his name had been placed on a "Security Alert".

Cuba-USA-Canada + opposing authority = same result

I try to explain to Cubans that Americans also have their phones tapped, houses watched, and "whatever else that we don't know" about. We are not "free". It's just a cute line for the national anthems or the back of dollar bills.

For the record, the Hospital I was in Havana puts anything in TO to shame. I don't dare even mention the one in my own town :)

No doubt I am enamored by Fidel and what he has done with CUBA. Moreover, he is a God in his country and throughout Latin America. Much more sentiment than we can ever have about any of our "democratic" leaders.

He wears the same clothes and lives the same life everyday. That is why he's revered. Remarkable.

As a Capitalist, I am always truly astounded by the success of the communists. And China has already made that point quite clear.

o
Well Done too!

Congratulations too Steff on the promotion!

o
The Promotion Girls

Oh Steff-sorry I forgot about Polly's promotion. Pricing Manager- in charge of pricing.

And yours Product Manager-in charge of building planned obsolescence :) (but should have hired you 5 years ago)

I forgot to tell you guys that on delivery last week in "Fortress Toronto" , sigh, a customer refused the delivery saying he wanted the Dark Purples (essentially same as the Dark Blues except color). We also haven't shipped those for at least 5 years. I asked him how he knew about them. The reply "we just got some last year". Uhumm I exclaimed.

Well sir, we actually haven't sold those for at least 5 years. So yup, he used the same case for over 5 years.

While he was talking, I remembered that we do have 2 cases in the Whse. and told him that we stopped carrying them because the Purples were much more expensive (Double) and that I'm sure there were none left but that I would check. There was absolutely no blink at the mention of double price ($200 more), he was just desperate to know if we could get them.

Yes Polly-your new protocols are already in place. Depressing is knowing how underpriced we have been for the quality of product and how much more our customers are willing to pay. Oh well to live and let learn.

Steff- trust me, your protocol has also been put to use.

o
I Should Add

Steff- Now there is obviously a slight difference in the freedoms. Here if Authorities have abused their power, we have the ability through the Judicial system to challenge the actions of those in question.

That can't quite be done in Cuba :)

o

Hee.

Remember, it's the ones that are hooked who pay more. And maybe their referreds. If you run another batch you should set a "special run for valued customers" high price, and tell new clients for that item that they can't get any without a referral because it's a special product, then find them a sponsor. If that doesn't get them paying the premium price, you can give them a very small amount on introductory special because they've been recommended to you.

That kind of folderol.

o

So there you go. It's important to know your stock and the capabilities of your company.

Polly has really got you on the track. You have a product in high demand and can charge what the customer will pay. The customer will let you know when you are charging too much and you can always run a special.

Let him know that you will need to make a special run of purple just for him next time or he will need to switch to blue. That way they will be prepared to order in advance or maybe they'll order more now so you can have time to get the purple run. Just curious, does the purple match their logo or something? Maybe the staff is trained a certain way in where to place specific items.

About Cuba, they don't have elections either and those are not small differences as my Cuban roommate back in my university days would quickly tell you.

o

No it wasn't anything to do with uniforms or matching, just stain hiding. It doesn't show dirt because the color is so dark. Really the same material we used for the Golf division.

I remember we even lost a customer because they got used to the extreme durability and dark color and said that our standard light colors didn't last nearly as long. Then it became a stalemate. We had/have a few cases still left from like 10 years ago, but don't want to sell them because the durability affects repeat sales. So Polly's idea is best. Don't hoard them, sell them at double or triple the price because those guys know that it's the real deal and they can't get it from anyone else except us. Technically I would say they last possibly four times longer than our lighter stock. So for every case of the darks you lose 4 sales of the standard. At double the price it's still a bargain for them.

Elections? I believe they do but Fidel is the only candidate :)

One thing that I discovered in Cuba is that there seems to be distinct groups. Those that think America is a bed of Roses and wish to go, those that were there and came back, those that are just happy to be Cubans. The latter are usually the industrious ones, educated ones, well cultured ones. And they prosper within the system. All the businesses are State controlled operations but within those there is also competition. So like America, the best workers get promoted, move up, earn more, gain greater material wealth.

The Paladar where I ate had a slick young 22 year old who has traveled to Germany, Virgin Islands, New Zealand etc. The thought of leaving Cuba and his palace would never happen. When I explain to Cubans how much a Hospital visit or University education in America would cost, they are quite shocked. And the reality behind the "American Dream" means working 2 jobs, sitting in traffic jams, drowning in debt, etc. etc. All concepts they have no idea of. I feel so relaxed when I'm there because it feels like going back 20 years in time. And that's a good thing. Good old life before the iPad and text messaging :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here