Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demicent

Mothers Day Surprises

demicent
17 years ago

I received flowers at the office on Friday. I was surprised to see that they were from my older daughter, who lives far away.

Along with some warm words of a personal nature, she included a quote from one of our favorite authors, Barbara Kingsolver.

"The strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws."

I was touched.

So tell us all about YOUR Mothers Day surprises!

Comments (9)

• soupgirl
    17 years ago

I got a nice card and a phone call from my adult son who lives in another city today.

My daughter and future son-in-law have invited me to their house tomorrow for lunch and also in attendance will be my future son-in-law's mother, older brother and his wife and younger brother, which I am looking foward too.

Hope all of you hae a happy Mother's Day.

• momj47
    17 years ago

I got flowers at the office on Thursday, from all three kids. Beautiful bouquet of tulips (from Proflowers, so they just started opening today). It was an awful day at work, so the flowers were just what I needed, along with a box of candy. Perfect.

My son spent the last few months redoing my powder room, his first home improvement DIY. He took everything out, down to the subfloor - learned how to tile, put in the new sink and toilet, patched and painted, put in a new light. He did a wonderful job, hung the mirror today, and it looks so nice.

This will be my first Mother's Day as a grandmother
    {{gwi:1548111}}

and my daughter's first Mother's Day.

{{gwi:1548113}}

Happy Mothers Day to all

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

My daughter took me to a wonderful Festival of Tables luncheon and table design fundraiser for Child and Family Services. This is an annual 'event' she shares with me each year. We always have a delicious lunch, enjoy all the different table arrangements and raffles, and especially love our one-on-one day together. Our son is busy being a dad at a soccer tournament out of town this weekend, but I know he'll have a sweet surprise planned. My husband is taking the seats out of the back of the van as we speak for our annual 'take thee to a nursery' day. We'll fill up the car with flats of flowers, shrubs and hanbing baskets - a treat I enjoy way more than dinner out. It's also a good day for my husband and I to think about what wonderful mothers we had, and how they shaped our own lives. So a very happy Mother's Day to all of you out there who nuture your children, or someone elses'.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

karen, OY, "take thee to a nursery" -- I'm reeling :)

Yesterday, after having problems with my feet and the cold all winter (actually rather serious), my husband arranged for me to have a foot-and-leg massage/treatment (salt scrub, mud mask on feet and legs, then a series of two intense massages) by someone who's just graduating from naturopathic medical school so she knows her body stuff inside and out, as it were :)...

Oh my gosh it was wonderful.

We then had a delicious lunch in the park while our daughter played on the playground there, then we went swimming, which is my favorite form of exercise, and I had all the time I wanted to do laps (kind of a luxury for me). We then went to buy some fragrant plants (so far only jasmine and honeysuckle--I'm thinking sarcococca too and maybe some lonicera fragrantissima [a winter-blooming bush honeysuckle] to cover the earlier months), to put under the window of our soon-to-be first-floor Master Bedroom :)

Might not be everyone's vision of the perfect day, but it was darn close for me :)

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Had a nice brunch with DH and DS #2, then home to cook for the whole family -- fajita fest for 30. It wasn't exactly relaxing, but it was a whole lot of fun, and everyone was on their best behavior.

The best part though was my present from DS#1 -- a hand-drawn portrait of DS#2. Both kids asked me what I wanted, and I said a piece of their artwork, and when they said they couldn't think of anything to draw, I asked them to draw each other. DS#2 did a quickie of the family dog, but DS#1 really put some time and effort into his. It's absolutely beautiful -- maybe I'll scan it in. ;-)

• sugarbreak
    17 years ago

My husband got me a bracelet from Tiffany's which he had our 2.5 year old twins bring me in bed and then we went out to lunch with all my children and my grandson.

• sugarbreak
    17 years ago

platter and serving bowls for our new kitchen. "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well if one has not dined well"

{{gwi:1548115}}

• librarymom03
    17 years ago

I usually circle Mothers Day in RED on May first - Sad but True.
    Forgot to do that this year - the New Kitchen is my "gift".
    This year I got a red rose from DH, and a scrapbook from DD with the first page done with pictures and poetry!
    MY MIL who came for a visit gave me her cobalt blue glass dishes :-)

Laurie

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

I spent Mother's Day on the soccer field, as I have for the last, what? 16 years? (there is ALWAYS a tournament Mother's Day weekend- some of the moms get ticked off, but it has long since ceased to bother me) DH was happy because his team had advanced to the finals, DD2 was happy because she was playing and I was happy because I was sitting in the sun with an Arnold Palmer and good friends, very glad I still have a little one at home.