Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

What has visiting the forum changed in your kitchen?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I thought this might be a fun topic. I'm sure we've all made changes to our kitchens, since visiting the forum. Whether you're in the planning stages, still remodeling or finished, what changes have you incorporated, thanks to the help on the forum?

Obviously, there is a wealth of information on layout, flow, cabinetry, countertops, etc...so it might be hard to pick only one. For me, it has been my colors. That may sound funny, but the biggest change has been moving from white and cobalt blue, with light blue walls to white and black, with light gold walls.

I was worried that the blue would be too cold, but I couldn't imagine anything else. I had loved it for so long, the idea of a blue kitchen really appealed to me. However, once I started being honest about my lighting, my style and my choice of fabrics, I realized that blue countertops were not for me.

Then I found my backsplash inspiration and finally realized black was a much better fit. The light gold walls will keep everything warm and cheerful...and give plenty of balance to the blue accents and fabrics...and look great with all the plants/herbs. Also, much friendlier with the wood tones in the furniture and work table.

So, how about you. What has the forum helped you with the most?

Comments (4)

• corrie22
    12 years ago

Clutter!

Over the years I had added this and added that, presents that I put out. You know STUFF!

Looking at all the beautiful, well thought out and designed kitchens made me realize I had too much stuff.

Lavender, I had a great kitchen under all that clutter! LOL
    Keep in mind, our kitchen is very big, so when I say I had a lot of clutter, I mean a lot...........

Other than all that ;-) I've saved and printed out so much for the new kitchen, if we ever get there, I'm going to be like you...
    ...when the time comes, I'm going to hit the ground running

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I came to this forum part way through our reno so plans were set and products were bought. However, I do sometimes wonder what I would have changed and I wouldn't have changed much. That is thanks in part to all the research we did and a KD who knew what she was doing. She talked me into a prep sink (why do I need 2 sinks - love them), all drawers, etc.

I might have rethought my stove but then probably wouldn't have changed it. I really don't want gas so flat top it is.
    I might have put a more colourful/dynamic piece of granite in but I'm a very quiet person and so probably would have stuck to the giallo ornamentale. The white cabinets and hardwood floor would not have changed.

The only thing that I can't wait to change is my microwave and maybe the info here would have help me with that. My MW is undercounter and we didn't go with the drawer as it was $750 more. Knowing what I know now and always having to bend down to get stuff out of the MW, I would have spent the money for the drawer.

My kitchen isn't fancy compared to many here but it is vastly superior to what I had, it functions so well and I still have trouble after 8 months believing that it's mine.

I guess what has changed is an appreciation for a well-laid out kitchen, an appreciation for an experienced KD who listened to us and our wishes/concerns and a GC who was a joy to deal with because he was always on time and always responded to issues and problems quickly. I feel so sorry for people who didn't/don't have the experience that we did.

• Pevo
    12 years ago

I'm still waiting to start construction but the main things that I plan to do differently are more windows and more drawers in lower cabs and a prep sink. I took the Sweeby test and read all the "Read me if you're new....", that led me to really think about what goes where and before I knew it I didn't need that many uppers and decided for a whole wall of windows. I did learn that marble and wood countertops are not for us.
    I'm still unsure about everything I've planned unlike most I don't have a definitive style of kitchen yet but I need to finalize things soon hopefully construction will start in June. Pevo

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

So far nothing physical has changed just the plans.

I found GW only because almost everything I googled for, brought me to GW threads anyway.

Changes....

1. We are recessing our frig to give it a built in look w/o purchasing a counterdepth frig.

2. Having only 4' between aisle (difficult decision).

3. Having a large window.

4. Ditching the old cabinets and purchasing new modern cabinets.

5. Purchasing a SS farmhouse single sink (I still can't believe that's what we want).

6. Trash/recycle cabinets (never even heard of them before).

7. Using more drawers then cabinets in bottom cabinets.

8. Fewer upper cabinets.

9. IKEA.

1. Find out what I like instead of just be concerned about resale.