Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car lease assumption/swap? A good thing or fishy?

Posted by jenswrens (My Page) on
Tue, May 30, 06 at 19:36

So with gas prices skyrocketing, we're in the market for a car rather than drive our SUVs and the pick-up, but we don't really want to be locked into a payment for 3 or 4 years.

DH found out about something called assume-a-lease or swap-a-lease. It's where someone wants out of their auto lease early and you take it over for the remainder of the term. We've never leased a car at all -- we've always bought -- so I'm a little wary of car leasing to begin with. This sounds like a good deal on the surface, but is it too good to be true? The person who assumes the lease is responsible for turning it in at the end. So are these people just trying to get out of paying those end-of-lease fees that I've always heard about? Or is this really legit?

Has anyone done this or do you know anyone who has? Is it a scam? A good deal? WWYD?

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade a Lease

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car lease assumption/swap? A good thing or fishy?

I'd rather buy a good used car after it has been turned in after the lease. You don't want the headaches of a deal like this, IMHO. All the headaches of a lease without the joy of driving a new car for a short time.

o
RE: Car lease assumption/swap? A good thing or fishy?

Thanks fairegold! After asking some other people, they too thought this was probably not a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here