Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirula_gw

Good Grief. Anyone else have HypOthyroidism??

pirula
17 years ago

Yes indeed Ladies, no wonder Ivette has been having trouble taking off the weight. No wonder it took six months to lose 13 pounds and one month to gain it back. No wonder I'm tired alot, cold alot, shed like a cat, and a few other things.

Someone at work posted a list of 29 low thyroid function symptoms, and I had 11. So, I had it checked, and whatayaknow. The doctor believes mine was caused by pregnancy, most specifically by my long nursing (two years) of my son and the prolactin production.

Anyway, it's borderline, but it's there. I have to decide now whether to medicate or not. I go see him on Tuesday and will let him know then. I've been to Web MD, read all there is to read there.

Would appreciate anyone's experience with these meds. It seems like in my case, any potential side effects are overuled by the potential benefits.

Like I need this?

Ivette

Comments (32)

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Everyone I know with hypothyroid has decided to medicate and been THRILLED with how much better they feel.

Having your hormones 'off' is just one of the most subtly awful things... I recently starting taking a prolactin-inhibitor to get mine back in balance, and have lost 11 pounds in six weeks, have more energy, and am just in a much better place.

I hope your results are as good or even better --

• sewanhakagirl
    17 years ago

Ivette -- It is interesting, this weekend at little league all the moms were talking and 4 of the moms that were at the game were on thryoid medicine. We were a little startled at that statistic. BUT the good news is that all of them talked about how much better things are with their medicine. PLUS a new study demonstrates that women taking synthryoid have a much lower risk of breast cancer. Some doctors are suggesting that ALL women over 50 take 25mg of synthyroid as a precaution aginst breast cancer. Hopefully that is a little brght side to the news you recieved.

Now for long term effects -- (just anecdotal) My mom, who will be 68 this year, has taken synthryoid since she was 20 and she had a growth removed from her thryoid. She ended up having surgeries again at 30 and 40 when they finally took the whole thing out. She has been able to be on increasingly smaller doses of syntyroid medicine because medical knowledge is so much improved. She has had NO side effects from the medicine over all these years. She is very healthy and active.

It is always a little scary to get a medical problem diagnosed, but in this case I think you will be so happy to get your hormones regulated. The first few months may be difficult to get the dose right, but I think you'll feel so much better in the end.

Best wishes and hugs....
    michelle

• lackboys3
    17 years ago

Yvette, have you been losing your hair? I've been having the excessive hair shedding going on for months now, and can't seem to lose this extra 10 pounds I've been carrying around since my last DS was born (he's 6!). I mentioned it to the dermatologist, and she said the hair loss is caused by stress, which I have a lot of these days. But I'm wondering about the hypothyroidism, especially since I read that borderline for some woman is really low for others. Did your hair texture change also? Mine has gotten very brittle, and it's not as shiny as it used to be. I'm thinking maybe I should have my primary doctor test my thyroid, since I've never had it done before. I don't want to go looking for trouble for myself, but your symptoms definitely caught my eye.

What do you think about taking the medication, and must you take it for life once you start it?
    DONNA

• gfiliberto
    17 years ago

My 26 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, which is hypothyroidism.
    She went on low dose meds, but is still having trouble losing weight.
    Do you think she needs a higher dose???

• mlaj2000
    17 years ago

I consider myself an expect in thyroid conditions. I won't however, bore you with all the lovely details.
    My best advice is to make sure the doc does a TSH test. Not just T3 and T4.

Also symptoms play an important role in diagnosis of Hypothyroidism. So even if your test is normal or borderline, it could be tremendously beneficial to be treated with thyroid hormone to see if symptoms improve.

ALso you need to have your doctor check for antibodies. You may have Hashimotos Thyoiditis-which is autoimmune and the opposite of Graves disease.

Finally, synthroid is not usually a magic bullet right away. It can take some time to discover the right dosage for you. The right dosage is one that makes you feel great.
    You will start to lose weight, but only if you eat sensibly and exercise. It will NOT just melt off with out trying.

Good Luck.

• pirula
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

I have it on my list to discuss Hashimoto with the doctor, I don't believe he did test for antibodies, but we'll see. He did do a TSH. Level was 3.4 or something.

Donna, no my hair isn't falling out per se. I just shed a lot. Of course, I also have a lot of hair. It's baby fine, but there's alot of it. And no it isn't brittle or dull. Well actually, it WAS. But trust me that was from two years of Cairo water, hot dry air, and pollution. Monte, the wonderhairdresseronlymanwhotouchesMYhead, brought my natural hair color/shine back with some kind of vegetable hair wash that just enhanced my own color. But that's another topic.

My symptoms are all pretty mild really, so much so they could be attributed to anything. But taken together, I got really curious. So dry skin, brittle nails, cold hands and feet, things I've lived with for a long time. But then SUDDEN exhaustion for no apparent reason (going to bed at 8pm and sleeping till 8:30am). Blamed it on the remodel. Sudden anxiety attacks (blamed it on the stress of the remodel). The whole weight "thing". Not too bad, but bad enough that I feel like crap, and look worse. Oh yeah, and a much lower sex drive (what the hell, we're among friends). This is serious stuff, I adore my husband, I couldn't figure out why suddenly I just didn't "want it" as much anymore. Again, tired? remodel? stress? maybe. But taken in unison, I got tested.

I've never had to be on medication in my life, blessed with terrific health. I find the whole notion of "being on medication" really disconcerting. But I realize I need to suck it up. I think I owe it to myself and my husband to try the medication and see if there is a real improvement.

I had NO idea about the breast cancer thing. That is terrific news! It's also supposed to be good for your cholesterol levels, but mine are very good as it is.

Nope, I think it will be primarily an issue of getting back to normal and just feeling BETTER.

I just hope the adjustment period isn't too bad. And as to the weight melting off, the doctor kills me. "It's not about the weight." LOL! The HELL it isn't! LOL! But I know what he meant. Believe me, I put on the weight eating healthy food AND while exercising. So hopefully the medicine will make a difference. The doctor can say it's "gravy" that's fine.

:)
    Ivette

• sherilynn
    17 years ago

Hi Ivette,
    I've been hypothyroid forever. My father noticed a goiter in my neck when I was 13, but the blood tests came back normal and my neck continued to swell. After I had my first child, I was so exhausted I felt I didn't have the strength to shower. My now X-AHH (figure it out) told me that if I couldn't take care of the baby with energy then he'd find someone else that could. I made an appointment that day to see a doctor. I went to the same doctor that had diagnosed my sister. We had different last names so he didn't have a clue. Within just a few minutes, he was asking me if there was anyone that could come get the baby and take me to the doctor. Apparently, I had some kind of zoning out episode that he wasn't sure what was going on with me. Turned out that I was almost in a coma. I was so tired that sometimes I would have to pull off the side of the road or sit in the parking lot to nap before I went in a store or drove further. I thought I was just tired from having a baby. I was only 21 or 22 and didn't know any better.

Well, my goiter was five times normal. My pituitary was working overtime to produce thyroid hormones. Once I got regulated on levothroid/synthroid .2 mcg, then life became bright again. It was like I was in a hideous fog until I went on medications.

I can honestly say that when I went on medication, it was not dramatic. However, I'm falling apart if I don't take it for a few days. I've found that I function better taking it at night for a few reasons. First, my face turns beet red and it is calmer by morning. Two, I get 'hot' when I take the medication and it's better I'm not awake! Three, I don't forget taking it at night.

My life is so much better on medication. I cannot function long without it. As for helping you lose weight? Uh...not so true. It will be easier, but it isn't a 'magic pill'. As a matter of fact, it's almost like a tiny little candy pill. Almost make believe. YOu can even chew it.

Within about six weeks of taking the meds, my thyroid SHRUNK to normal. I never knew my neck was so long!

Anywho...I hope it helps. My sister and I take the same meds and are absolutely psycho if someone monkies with the dosage.

• paulines
    17 years ago

Ivette,
    I'm saddenned to hear this news. I would imagine the good part (if there is one) is to have a diagnosis to your symptoms, so that you can find appropriate treatment. I'm sure the fatigue, hair loss and inability to lose weight has been unsettling! I'm sorry I can't add anything too helpful, as I'm unfamiliar with the disorder ~ but I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts and a big virtual hug. (((Be well my friend)))

• soupgirl
    17 years ago

Back in the early 1980s, the right lobe of my thryoid was removed because it was cold (non-functioning) and the endocronologist recommended its removal to reduce the risk of thyroid cancer. The doctor couldn't say for certain why my right lobe went cold, but he said it might have been caused by a prolonged period of higher production associated with two pregnancies and two miscarriages during a 4-year span.

I don't have to take artificial thyroid because my left lobe is currently producing enough thyroid. Every few years, I have a thyroid uptake and scan to check my thyroid function and thus far, knock on wood, I am doing fine. This whole thing started when a doctor, whom I went to see because I had walking pneumonia, found a lump on the right lobe of my thyroid during his examination. It was sort of funny because I went there to be treated for walking pneumonia and it was the unexpected thyroid lump that garnered the most attention. I was fortunate because I don't recall experiencing any adverse symptoms and kept telling myself, throughout the treatment, if something has to go wrong, this isn't that bad. Perhaps my problem was hyper-thyroidism and not hypo-thyrodism? It happened so long ago that I have forgotten many of the particulars.

• pirula
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everybody!!

Yes, the doctor mentioned the osteoporosis risk immediately. I figure, if I start doing things like taking calcium supplement and not drinking caffeine, I may actually come out even or a little ahead. Will discuss with Doc.

Talked to my Dad today, turns out my Grandmother had hypothyroidism most of her life. Hers was caused by a goiter. The first thing doc asked me was "is there any history in your family?" Didn't know, now I do.

Thanks again! I will keep you all apprised of how it goes.

Ivette

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis in my 30s. Please please please take this seriously. It is serious. It needs attention. The side effects are minimal -- there are bone building drugs that are extremely effective.

• mlaj2000
    17 years ago

Just so you know, Pirula-- A goiter is the result of hypothyroidism and not the cause. But unless the cause is autoimmune, I don't really buy into the family history thing so much.

I do, however, feel that for women..it is hormonally related and possibly environmental also. Obvious, iodine deficiency is a common cause, but in this country, that's not really a problem.

And I wouldn't worry about osteoporosis. The hormone is being given to you to replace what's missing. The side effects of hypothyroidism are a much more pressing concern.

Your doctor should shoot for a TSH level between 1.00- 2.00

If I go above 2.00, I feel like crap. 1.5-1.8 is optimal for me.

Please forgive me if I sound bossy and presumptious. I would hate to come across as rude. Sometimes when I read my words back, I don't like how they sound in my head.
    I really am just trying to help.

Oh.. I should add that I am not a doctor, just a hypochondriac who has research to death her thyroid disease. I am doing very well now.

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

All the woman in my family (mother, aunts and sister) have had hypothyroidism. I had put on about 12 pounds that even 5 months of major Weight Watchers wouldn't budge. I had all of the other symptoms, including an ongoing feeling of sadness (which is not me, a terminal optimist). My doctor noticed that my throid was enlarged, yet my blood tests came back low normal. He started me on a low dose and when my symptoms began to go away (sadness gone first, then hair loss decreased and dieting (yes I still have to diet) began to work, he realized we were on the right track and he upped my synthroid a bit more. My husband has been on synthroid since he was 22 (he's 64 now). His doctor took him off one year because his blood tests were up - in that year he became exhausted, lost a ton of hair, had dry itchy skin, was cold all the time, and became very very depressed. We finally figured out the connection (which a blood test verified) and he's never been off synthroid again.

• mjsee
    17 years ago

Well, I've got Graves disease--and I'm currently hyPERthyroid--though I expect I'll be hyPOthryoid eventually. Had RAI therapy in mid-march--still feeling pretty crummy and WIRED. Find yourself a good endocrinologist--the right docotr makes a WORLD of difference. See if you can find one who does a lot of thyroid stuff--many endos do mostly diabetes.

I've linked a site I found helpful!

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: American Thyroid site

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Ivette,

mlaj mentioned iodine deficiency. In this country, we get a lot of our iodine from iodized salt (as well as from seafood), but maybe salt isn't iodized in Egypt.

DH has been taking levothyroxine for years---no biggie. It's just something you live with.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sue

• pirula
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mlaj: You're not at all bossy or presumptiuous. I appreciate your input and the time you take to give it.

all: Thanks again for all your continued thoughts. That was a good point about salt in Cairo, but we bought our salt at the commisary, it was iodized. That's not it.

I'm ready for Tuesday to come so I can start taking care of this thing.

Ivette

• demicent
    17 years ago

I've been hypothyroid for a number of years. My internal medicine doctor looked at my blood tests and insisted I was fine. My D.O. LISTENED to me talk about my symptoms, did some more testing, and agreed I was hypothyroid.

I take desiccated thyroid tablets. I'm warmer, more energetic, happier, and my hair has grown back and my skin is softer again.

My dose was a little high at first, and I felt nervous, twitchy, paranoid, and my heart thumped funny. They adjusted the dose quickly and now I'm doing a lot better.

Some people do better dividing the medication and taking it twice a day, but that made it hard for me to sleep.

• mlaj2000
    17 years ago

demicent,

dessicated thyroid tablets? ARe you taking Armour?

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My 12-year-old daughter has all the hypothyroid symptoms, including bulging neck and she can't swallow pills. She got the blood tests done, and they came back normal. Same with her cousin, who later had 1/2 of her thyroid removed & also had depression issue. Found that the Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies only costs $49 on line, but why doctors aren't performing them?

• User
    8 years ago

I had my left side removed about 15 years ago. Hard mass, not cancerous. A few years ago, I started getting fluid filled cysts (or nodule) on my right side. I go to my surgeon who I trust and am confident. The first cyst they did a biopsy and it burst. I went back this year and I can feel them in my neck. They did an ultrasound. Surgeon and radiologist said fluid filled and they will increase/decrease in size on their own. But why am I getting them? Don't know. I asked my surgeon if we could just remove the right side/thyroid and he said he would not recommend it at this time because there is scar tissue. I might end up talking hoarse or soft voice the rest of my life. I worry about the fluid filled cyst becoming hard mass cyst w or w/o cancerous cells.

Has anyone else experienced this? I honestly do not remember the last time my thyroid level(s?) were checked. I've never even heard of TPO so don't know if my OB/GYN was doing them when he did check my thyroid levels. My mother had her thyroid removed when I was about 10 (decades ago) and has been on synthyroid w/o issues.

Looking at Yvette's symptoms, I do have dry skin, cold hands/feet, low sex drive, anxiety but not attacks and get tired sometimes. I also was diagnosed with osteopenia recently after a bone scan so I'm trying to walk more. I need to loose about 20-25lbs.

About the nursing, are you saying it causes thyroid issues or low sex drive? I nursed our three a total of 3.5years.

• rantontoo
    8 years ago

Would recommend making sure that your Dr. tests free T4 and free T3. From researching my daughter's thyroid issues, it is important to measure both bound and free thyroxine. Her primary doctor only tested for T4 so we had a difficult time zeroing in on an effective treatment for her issues. She also went hyper when the Endocrynologist upped the dose at the same time that the company reformulated her medication...she gained 35 pounds in 5 months during her first semester of college. She had no clue about her physical symptoms and the weight gain because she thought hyper resulted in losing weight.

She has done much better on Armour than her first medication...ten years and fingers crossed.

Hoping for a positive outcome,and I'll pass on advice I wish I had been given....Research, research, research so you can understand and make wise decisions concerning treatment.

• agk2003
    8 years ago

i am recently hypothyroid for about a year now due to infertility treatments. apparently something with all the estrogen they pump you with and then completely deplete you of, repeat, repeat. anyhoo, i first tried armour (dessicated) and also synthroid but did not feel well on either. i'm on levoxyl now and do feel "better". ie, i had crazy headaches, foggyness, and my eyes would get so heavy i'd want to take a nap at work, and that is all gone. i can't say it's done anything for my weight but i think it will take a while after all the hormones i was on.

Be aware that just because your numbers may be borderline to a dr., or even in "normal" parameters, you may still have hypo symptoms. there are many docs that take into account your symptoms and not necessarily the thyroid blood panel #s. check out Stop the Thyroid Madness for some good info.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

I spent 1 week researching on hypothyroid for my 12-year old daughter's lethargy & enlarged neck & cannot swallow pills. I posted all the info. in the thread "Hypothyroid" in Health forum, see below:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2389366/hypothyroidism?n=28

After that much research, I decide on the natural route, giving her Kelp-snack (99 cents from Trader's Joe), which she loves. It's more nutritious than potato chips ... I notice a HUGE increase in her energy level. She used to trail behind in our daily walk, now she's ahead of me (52-year old Mom).

After spending 40+ hours reading thousands on Amazon reviews on different products, plus checking many sites on side-effects of thyroid medications, plus consulting with my 3 siblings (who are M.D's) ... I try the natural approach 1st .. Doctors are too eager to do surgery & remove thyroid. My niece had 1/2 of her thyroid removed, and became severely depressed & have to be on meds for the rest of her life. See below for natural remedies for hypothyroid:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2389366/hypothyroidism?n=28

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for posting, strawchicago. I went to MD today and results should be back Monday morning. Found link to requested tests on STTM website and PA and Dr said those were the tests they were running. I'm going to get copies of all blood work results. Was low on iron today but not anemic. Dr said she would send me for ultrasound if I wanted but I said let's wait for results since I just had one. Going to read links on iodine etc tomorrow.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Hi Allison: Please keep us posted on Monday .. thanks for the info. of requested tests on Stop the Thyroid Madness site. In the old days, doctors went overboard in unnecessary tests & surgeries, but nowadays insurance put a restriction on that. Over a decade ago my sister wore her hair in an "onion" bun (capped with a metallic hair fastener), they took X-ray and the doc. thought it was a HUGE GOITER, or HUGE THROAT CANCER. They did CT scan & MRI & unnecessary tests just to find out that it's a bundle of hair & metallic cap.

I wrote to my insurance asking for further thyroid antibody-test & neck-checking for my 12-year old daughter, and my insurance wrote back "
    You can submit a
    pre-authorization request for review. This normally includes a letter of medical
    necessity with medical records to substantiate the service. This review generally takes 15-20 business
    days and
    all responses are made in writing
    . "

From StrawChicago: I will wait for the kelp snack to boost her metabolism, and if she becomes depressed again during the summer, then I will take her for further thyroid-test. When I read through the Earthclinic.com/People's pharmacy website, one person reported solving her hypothyroid just by consuming a few Brazil nuts a day (high in selenium, necessary for normal thyroid function). Another person solved her hypothyroid with Stress-Tabs (Vit. C 120 mg, Thiamin 10mg, Riboflavin 10mg, Niacin 50 mg, Vit. B6 5 mg, Folate 400 mcg, Vit. B12 100mcg, Panthothenic Acid 40 mg, Proprietary Amino Acid Blend 100 mg (Arginine, Glutamine, Taurine), Sensoril extract.).

The NON-MEDICATED approach is more effective & less side-effects because it comprises of a vast array of nutrients to boost thyroid health. Plus one can adjust the dose by oneself (less Brazil nut, or less seaweed snack) ... without going through the doctor. There are side effects for Levothyroxine: Insomnia, flushing, muscle pain, fatique, mood swings. There's a long list of side-effects of Synthroid, see the link below: https://synthroidhaters.wordpress.com/synthroid-side-effects/

When I googled, "The problem with Synthroid", there are tons of info. of horrible effects either through buying less-effective generic drugs, or it doesn't work, or the dose is too high, etc. Here's one example: " Saw dr after labs and ultrasound dx cysts on thryoid and hypo put me on generic synthroid.25. On meds for approx 6 weeks became very hoarse to the point of not being able to speak, not sleeping for more than 3 hrs, terrible bloating and gas, increased racing heart and "shaking like tremors". ... Subsequently I felt so bad I stopped the med without her knowlege. Hoarseness, sleeping, hand symptoms and chest fulness, bloating have improved to what they were before starting meds."

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/problem-with-synthroid/show/1587399

From Stop the thyroid madness site: "Did you know that a healthy thyroid makes five hormones?? They are T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin. T4, also called thyroxine, is simply a storage hormone meant to convert to T3, the active hormone. But a healthy thyroid doesn’t make you totally depend on conversion alone, and also gives you “direct” T3 plus the other hormones above ... Being on a T4-only med means you are missing out on four other hormones directly, and thus, you are being forced to live for conversion alone!"

Many people complained that Armour Thyroid (dried pig thyroids) are no longer available, and the chemical Synthroid has tons of side-effects, which they can't handle. See an excerpt from below link: "I had been on Armour thyroid for several years and it worked really well. Unfortunately, my last prescription was put on hold by the manufacturer and I have not been able to get it filled. That was in July 2009. My dr. had to put me on Synthroid instead and I feel terrible now. I have insomnia and anxiety yet my blood tests look fine. I'm not sure what to do now. I've called the pharmacy several times in the last 4 months and Armour is still not available to the public. "

http://www.endocrineweb.com/community/hypothyroidism/1288-armour-thyroid-vs-Synthroid

"About a year ago I was prescribed Synthroid and almost immediately had a pretty severe reaction to it. Throat swelled, ankles and hands swelled, heart raced ... felt like crap. My doctor switched me to an all natural herbal product called "Innate Thyroid Response." It worked pretty well until just recently. So I'm going back for a tune-up. :o)

Doctors and pharmacists are provided ve-e-ery generous "perks" by pharmaceutical reps for pushing what my doctor calls, "designer drugs." The more expensive the drug, the "more effective" it is often touted to be, when often that could not be further from the truth. I would question the motives of a doctor who "insists" that one drug is preferable to another ... especially a tried and true oldie like Armour."

Tinyhandz said... 2 years 52 weeks ago

"I was on Synthroid for a while and I really did not like the way it made me feel. I was shaky, nervous, couldnt sleep, and I became very anxious over the months that I was taking it."

http://www.endocrineweb.com/community/hypothyroidism/1288-armour-thyroid-vs-synthroid

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

The Synthroid website stated, "Synthroid is a prescription medication that treats hypothyroidism. The active ingredient in Synthroid is called levothyroxine sodium. It is a synthetic hormone identical to thyroxine (T4) - the hormone that the thyroid gland naturally makes. Generally, thyroid replacement medication is to be taken for life. It may take several weeks for your symptoms to improve."

From StrawChicago: That's why I like the natural approach better: it works immediately, read Amazon reviews on Lugol's iodine and you'll see. Even fortified foods work immediately & plus less side-effects. I sleep lousy if I snack on white bread & cheese before bed, but if I snack on Total cereal (fortified with 100% DV of ALL VITAMINS) ... I sleep wonderful and very energetic the next day. I like the effect of Total-cereal so much, that I start giving my child vitamins, and that really help her energy & happiness with adequate B12, iodine, selenium, zinc, and other nutrients for proper thyroid functioning.

The problem with our bread is it's enriched with potassium bromide, rather than potassium iodine (like the old days). Bromide takes up the site on the thyroid, thus block out iodine absorption. The thyroid can't take up iodine when it's bombarded with fluoride from water, plus bromide in bread. Potassium bromide has been linked to cancer, see excerpt from below link:

"In 2007, Chinese authorities pulled a batch of imported snack chips from store shelves because they believed the chips contained potassium bromate, a food additive banned in China. The chips' country of origin? The United States. Potassium bromate is also illegal in the European Union, Canada, Brazil and elsewhere because it causes cancer in rats and mice. In the United States, however, it has remained legal since it was first patented for use in baking bread in 1914."

http://www.livescience.com/36206-truth-potassium-bromate-food-additive.html

Too bad my kid doesn't like Total cereal & milk. Here's the nutrients in 3/4 cup of TOTAL cereal, by General Mills.Calories 100Calories from Fat 5% Daily Value*Total Fat 0.5 g1% Sodium 140 mg6%Potassium 90 mg3%Total Carbohydrate 22 g7%Dietary Fiber 3 g11%Sugars 5 g Protein 2 gVitamin A10%Vitamin C100%Calcium100%Iron100%Copper—Folic Acid100%Iodine—Magnesium6%Niacin100%Phosphorus8%Riboflavin100%Thiamin100%Vitamin B12100%Vitamin B6100%Vitamin D25%Vitamin E100%Zinc100%

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

There's an earlier post on Oct. 4, 2014, that's worth re-posting here:

worriedone

Have a multinodular goiter. Iodine deficiency that I self dxd. Fna proved inconclusive...of course! Three endos: SURGERY! I told them no and began iodine. That was four years ago.
    Goiter shrunk. Hair grew back. Energy. Etc. I found info on iodine online. Not one stinking doctor suggested anything BUT SURGERY!! For...it could be cancer. Omg. It was not. It was fear. I am fine. Feel great. Shame on them. Their testing IMO...is bull...iodine, selenium, Celtic sea salt, vit magnesium. All better."

*** Many people reported that Synthroid DID NOT shrink their goiter, but iodine or kelp did the job. Here's an earlier post on April 7, 2006:

ginnier

Dr. discovered goiter and I took Synthroid to try to shrink it, but it didn't shrink. Biopsy showed no cancer, but my fam. physician still didn't like it; he was afraid that it still might be cancerous. Surgery removed 3/4 of it; there's some theory that you need to have part of your thyroid for some reason. Now, 3 years later, I'm still on generic Synthroid.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Trader's Joe Seaweed-Snack (99 cents) is tastier than potato chips, and help BOTH my daughter and me. I sleep better & no longer need to nap during the day, and my daughter is no longer depressed & lethargic. Maine Seaweed Coast sells kelp-flakes to use instead of salt, that stuff is very potent in Iodine.

Nature-Way Kelp capsules sold on Amazon posted this info. on hypothyroid "Kelp has a long history of use as a food and as a source of assimilable iodine. It contains many nutrients absorbed from the sea. Nature's Way Kelp contains 400 micrograms of iodine which is 267% of your daily intake. Iodine is vital for good thyroid function, which in turn is essential for health. Iodine deficiency during pregnancy and early infancy can result in cretinism (irreversible mental retardation and severe motor impairments). In adults low iodine intake (or very high intakes) can cause hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism can manifest as low energy levels, dry or scaly or yellowish skin, tingling and numbness in extremities, weight gain, forgetfulness, personality changes, depression, anaemia, and prolonged and heavy periods in women. Goiter, an enlarged thyroid gland visible between the Adam's apple and the collar bone, is often present. Hypothyroidism can also cause carpal tunnel syndrome and Raynaud's phenomenon. Hypothyroidism can lead to significant increases in cholesterol levels and homocysteine levels is implicated in about 10% of cases of high cholesterol levels. Correcting hypothyroidism can lead to a 30% drop in cholesterol and homocysteine levels." Nature-way-Kelp-capsule

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Capsules-180-Count-600mg/dp/B00024D1ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432144965&sr=8-1&keywords=kelp+tablets

*** My daughter and I have all the symptoms listed above. Trader's Joe- seaweed snack help us a lot .. a delicious 99 cents snack that boost our slow thyroid. Dr. David Perry doesn't trust the iodine-test but strongly endorse iodine for shrinking the goiter and help with skin-health, see an excerpt from below link:

http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl2a.htm

"Nyiri and Jannetti also mentioned iodine applied on the skin can be used to shrink swelling of the thyroid gland (goiters). So even small amounts of iodine absorbed through the skin can have good effects on body organs. From my own clinical experience, repeated application of iodine (Lugol’s) to the skin appears to cause regeneration of the skin from the bottom up (Quiescent, stable or stem cell) (3) eventually sloughing the old version of the skin off like a snake molting. If there was a pre-cancerous lesion on the old skin, it is replaced with new skin minus the lesion."

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

While reading through customer's feed-backs on Kelp-tablets, I notice the best results were obtained through ADEQUATE dosage of kelp (with all the nutrients, including iodine). The worse side-effects are LARGE dose of iodine (too much isn't good for the thyroid). Many people report smoother skin & faster hair growth & increased sweating with kelp-tablets. Both I and my daughter are plagued with eczema (skin rash), plus dry lips & dry skin, and we both don't sweat. My daughter has more hypothyroid signs than me, such as coarse & slow-growing hair. Here's some reviews for Nature-Made Kelp-capsules on Amazon:

Nature Made kelp capsule on Amazon

Sweating is awesome!

ByShawn E. McCoyon March 19, 2015

"I used to workout like MAD and NEVER seemed to break a sweat. So, I did some research and found out that not sweating was a sign of iodine deficiency. And then I found out that Kelp tablets are a good way to supplement iodine deficiency, so I ordered these and let me tell you, I sweat now! I've never been so happy to sweat in my life, LOL. It's awesome." Shawn E. McCoyon.

**** From StrawChicago: I notice the same results with eating Trader's Joe-Seaweed-snack: I don't need to drink caffeine to stay awake all day & no need to nap & sleep deeper at night. Here's another Amazon customer review on Nature Made Kelp capsule (with 267% of Iodine & other nutrients):

ByMorningChaion January 8, 2015

"I'm tweaking the post I made for Nature's Way Maca Root, as I have been taking these products together: I've been taking this daily along with Maca Root and Selenium. It's been three months now. I wake up early without any trouble. I do not need caffeine throughout the day. I am even falling asleep faster and enjoying deeper sleep! My mood has been exceedingly vibrant, my skin is clearer, and I've steadily been losing weight."

Stopped my hair loss and eczema

ByMusashi&Koyamaon May 8, 2014

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid early this year and was prescribed synthroid. I have not taken it since I believe I may have had a reaction to it when it was first suspected I may have mild hypothyroidism about 7 years ago. I took it once and I think my lips swelled up. I tend to have many drug related allergies. Luckily at that time, I was retested and found that my thyroid level was again normal so never worried about the meds. Now, my hypothyroid numbers are around 9. I am still afraid to take the meds so I decided to try kelp. I have been on kelp now for about 5 weeks. What I have noticed within 2 weeks is that I am losing much less hair in the shower. My hair again feels better. My eczema I had off and on for over 9 years is all gone. I can't say if it has helped with energy yet. I seem to be sleeping much better though." Musashi & Koyama

Helps Promote Hair Growth

ByIsabella Duncan "Izzy"on August 30, 2007

I bought these pills after reading on the web that it helps hair to grow. Took it consistently for about 5 months and hair grew in faster than normal. Does take a while for results but just be consistent and take every day. My hair went from 1/2 inch to just above my shoulders. I highly recommend."

Here's the link: Nature Made Kelp capsules on Amazon

• User
    8 years ago

Interesting, straw. Thanks for posting.

We don't have a Trader Joe's yet, but one will open soon. Going back to yesterday's posts to read more.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Hi Allison: we love Trader Joe's seaweed snack, it's NOT greasy like other seaweed-snacks. There's U of Davis study on the danger of arsenic in Kelp tablets. Upon further research, it's HOW MUCH one consume that makes it harmful, rather than kelp itself. Seaweed is high in iodine (combats
    hypothyroidism) calcium, iron, potassium, selenium, Vitamin A, B12, C, and
    Folate.

Here's a government document that clarified LOW DOSE of kelp is safe, but anything excessive will be overloading on iodine, thus harm. See the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2137109/

Read the above link and you'll see that chicken also has arsenic. Conclusion: it's NOT what you eat, it's how much you overdose.

The below link clarifies the difference between ok-in-moderation ORGANIC arsenic (fish, chicken, seaweed), versus INORGANIC arsenic that harms the liver:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/arsenic.html

"Small amounts of arsenic naturally occur in some of the foods we eat, including fish and shellfish, rice, and other cereal products. Fish and shellfish contain mostly organic arsenic, which is the less harmful form. Rice, rice milk, and brown seaweed contain small amounts of inorganic arsenic, the more harmful form. Inorganic arsenic can also be found in some food supplements, such as chitin. It is estimated that most people consume about 50 micrograms of arsenic per day in food and water, with about 5 to 15 micrograms of that typically being inorganic arsenic ... Some limited recent research suggests that some arsenic in the diet, about 12 to 25 micrograms per day, may have a beneficial effect on some chemical processes in the body. But larger amount is harmful."

From Strawchicago: The seaweed-snack from Trader's Joe is green, versus Kelp is a brown-seaweed, and have more arsenic than the green type.