Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Has forum etiquette vanished...

claire_de_luna
17 years ago

...or is it just me? Maybe I'm just burned out, but I don't feel inclined to ''help out'' much any more. It seems like there are a lot of people asking questions that aren't really present, or don't really care when others make an effort to respond.

I know the forum has turned over many times, but it seems a different place than it used to be. Do you think the entire tone of the Kitchens forum has changed?

Comments (130)

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

Perhaps part of what people are talking about is tone. I've noticed a change in that since I was a regular on kitchens (who can remember so far back? LOL) and it can be off-putting.

My take on it is that many posts now have a demanding tone whereas two years ago they felt less entitled to information and more communal in tone -- "is there anyone out there who can help me with this" rather than "show me your kitchen floors" or "who has pix of blue granite".

But that's just my perception. I don't think the posters mean to be rude though some of the longtime members take it that way.

I now respond only to threads where I can really help or that interest me. Those become fewer and fewer and that's fine.

I've posted on threads re complex sink installs, which I know a bit about, and been ignored and had advice taken from someone who literally hadn't done it yet and really know what they were talking about. Too bad, but what can you say? People will choose what they relate to and facts and experience aren't always the connecting points.

So I've gotten fairly chilled out about all of this. None of us are entitled to lifetime seats, tone or manners cannot be inforced here, nor is there any guarantee that my participation will be appreciated. And various attempts I've seen over the past year to launch a different tone, or tell new people how the forum works have been met with hostility. I posted a thread once asking for more research in advance because there were multiple posts on the same subject on page one -- it's still happening -- and got a lot of hostility -- saying, essentially, who was I to tell people how to use the forum. Posters said that if they put THEIR question on someone elses thread it wouldn't get the same attention as a thread of its own. It's meant as helpful but not perceived that way. So why waste energy on it? If there are routinely 3 seperate threads with the same question on AB granite, then let them wade through the 67 pages. There is more backend now. In the 10-page, off the cliff days, people had to be more careful. Not now and I think that's a big factor.

One funny thing: the technology also makes some experienced members obsolete. Over on appliances Miele DWs have so many new features I can't answer questions I could before because the machines and drying systems have all been changed.

I never expected to be washed up after only 2 years.

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

rocogurl, your post - especially your tag line at the end there - made me laugh.

Well you may be all washed up with dishwashers but know that good taste doesn't go out of style. Well, not this year any how. So please do stick around and do help out with the design q's. I've avidly read some threads in the decorating forum that I realized quite early were not at all pertinant or relevant to me but I loved reading 'em for the informed historical perspective you include.

Mariposa, aren't you in the throes or early stages of your kitchen remodel? I wouldn't tick off your asset base here too early ... good manners and decency (or their absence) are what this thread is about and I don't think it is so beyond the pale for people to feel a bit put out at the lack of good manners shown. Conversely, there are others reminding about some of the challenges and scale of the project that can promote what looks like rude behaviour. Its' all good, girlfriend! Chill. :-)

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

Very sweet of you to say that, mindstorm, and very much appreciated.

That forum has its own issues which I will never understand.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mariposa has stated on another thread elsewhere that the forum sometimes feels like an old boys club to her. I was sorry to read that, since I remember when she first started posting she received much sympathy (from the old boys club) for what she had done to her knees during a DIY project. I just wonder what happened that made her feelings change? Mariposa, if you're there, would you enlighten us? I for one, would genuinely like to know how sympathy returns as scorn, because I don't understand it.

I'm personally glad to have a place to come where people don't delight in being rude to each other.

Rococogurl, I know what you mean about technology. Over on the laundry forum, my Miele W/D is now the old, outdated version...

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I've posted on threads re complex sink installs, which I know a bit about, and been ignored and had advice taken from someone who literally hadn't done it yet and really know what they were talking about.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him hook it up to the sink right!! :-)

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    17 years ago

What I miss is the sense of community I used to find here, as if everyone went to school together or lived in the same neighborhood. Although we recently had one, maybe it's time again for another of Lowspark's "Getting to Know You" posts.

Also, I used to love the hilarious threads about remodeling disasters, or comments from strangers, or relationships with subs and GC's. Haven't seen any of those in a while.

I am just flabbergasted by the tone of the "Newbies (Remodeling Beginners?, Amateurs?, Neophytes? LOL) Start Here" thread. I just don't get it at all how anyone could find it controversial. I must be missing something. In the beginning, I would have really appreciated it.

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

dat, dat, da da !!! (trumpets here please)

Claire,

The new miele models -- clearly marked with a yellow blip that says NEW! -- have cycles not only for dishes or pots and pans but for actual FOOD. Read it and shriek.

So if you had pasta for lunch you can press the starch button (not you are not seeing things it is s-t-a-r-c-h and not s-t-a-r-t) and the dw will wash the plates completely clean on the cycle for starch.

I can't say much more. And I cannot help. My question: if you had pasta for lunch and eggs for dinner and the dw is filled with half of each of the plates, which cycle do you choose?

LOL!

Which is why I said I was all washed up. I merely have a Miele with condenser drying and a hidden panel. Nowhere near as interesting as 14 cycles geared to food!

Truly, they couldn't make this stuff up and have it get any better. And yes, it costs, like, $1300.

So, get outta da way old timers. You haven't been upgraded!

Here is a link that might be useful: What came first, the pasta or the egg?

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

adoptedbygreyhounds, I guess I'm missing something as well. You know, a lot of people don't actually listen to each other, but instead jump from a place inside their own heads. It's less a reflection of what the ''conversation'' is about and much more about what's going on with them. To me, it reveals far more about that person than they probably even know. That said, I remember those remodeling days well. If you think about the bad diet, dysfunctional carpenters and sometimes absent contractors (not to mention everything else that frequently goes wrong) much of it can probably be chalked up to Stress and/or Constipation...

mindstorm, Yes. I agree, and appreciate your point of view.

Bill, No Kidding. It's amazing how people don't value what they don't know about, even when they've asked for help.

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

You're right Bill. Facts can be confusing.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

O M G. Rococogurl, if that is pure genius (as they claim), then I'm stuck on stupid and glad to be there. I can't imagine the quandries I'd have just picking the correct cycle!

I remember several decades ago when I intentionally picked a car with the advertising slogan of ''We Keep It Simple''...

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

Or we can think of it this way: if one of us actually must buy something new in the future things will have changed so much that we'll need advice. And we'll be newbies again. Oy.

• paulines
    17 years ago

lol @ rococogurl, so true!

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

My question: if you had pasta for lunch and eggs for dinner and the dw is filled with half of each of the plates, which cycle do you choose?

Cake?

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

I am slackjawed at this DW. No wonder people are cranky. Too many choices!

Without even going into the issue of trying to remember each of these 19 cycles, trying to figure out which type of soil I'd have, or trying to turn the dw on if I've left my glasses in the other room (anyone puzzled by that statement should wait 10 years or call your mother) here are the La Perla 19 cycle options! So what DO you use for cake and does coffee cake require a different cycle than birthday cake?

Pots & Pans For washing pots, pans and preparation dishes with dried-on food particles
    Normal For washing average soiled dishes with light fatty residues
    China & Crystal For washing temperature sensitive items such as china and crystal stemware
    Economy For washing lightly soiled dishes with light fatty residues
    SaniWash For washing and sanitizing heavily soiled dishes
    Short A quick wash program for cleaning lightly soiled, temperature sensitive items
    Rinse & Hold Used to rinse items when a complete cycle is not required
    Heavy Soil For heavy soiled dishes with dried-on food particles containing starch
    SensorWash Sensor controlled program for normally soiled dishes
    WaterSaver Particularly low water consumption
    EnergySaver For washing lightly soiled dishes using standard household water temperatures. The water intake temperature should be at least 115°F

Specialty Wash Programs
    Plastics For gentle cleaning of dishwasher-proof plastics
    Cheese For pots, pans and dishes heavily soiled with cheese
    Starch For pots, pans and dishes heavily soiled with starch
    Large Items (soiled) For oversized items that are not heat-sensitive
    Large Items (normal) For oversized, heat-sensitive items
    Glass - No Rinse Aid For cleaning glasses without rinse aid
    Glass - No Rinse Aid Cold For cleaning glasses for immediate re-use without rinse aid
    Plate Warming For warming dishes for immediate use

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Just reading the instructions would take longer than washing the dishes by hand.

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

Hmmm. There go the water savings. Coz obviously you need to wash your plastics separately from your cheesy dishes from your starchy ones... and god help you if you drink too much water on the wrong days!

Either that or choose your daily menu (in our case half-weekly menu) by dishwasher categories.

I say we have the FDA build a food pyramid built around dishwasher cycles.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So...what if you have plates with starch and cheese? (Macaroni and cheese.) Which will it be?

This reminds me of those manufacturers who ''overimprove'' certain models, which no one then wants because they are too complicated. Not to mention, with so many different cycles, there's way too much that can go wrong when something happens. I wonder how much time a simple repair would take! Can't you just hear the questions at the Miele hotline?

Someone there has forgotten we're not all appliance geeks.

No, thank you. I just want to start the thing and walk away...

• lobotome
    17 years ago

It's time to get a 3 compartment dish hamper for your kitchen to sort the dishes before you start. Hmm, which cabinets should these be installed in? Don't forget to treat "stains" beforehand.

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

Realizing I'd hijacked this thread (sort of -- sometimes at the end it counts less, right?) I thought I should post over in appliances to see what folks think over there.

Someone pointed out a column in the Boston Globe by Ellen Goodman, just two days ago, on essentially the same topic. So I linked that on the thread linked here.

The other thing that struck me are the newest refrigerators. Thermador has a new line coming out that's basically a refrigerator built like a pantry cupboard: 84" high by 24" wide. They call them "freedom towers". Just like ground zero. Oy. What are they thinking?

I can totally go with a 24" undercab refrigerator and I adore my wine cooler -- same dimensions. But would I need a stepstool to get the cream cheese if it's in the back on the top shelf of the towering refrigerator????

Here is a link that might be useful: Feature Fatique

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Not that the DW convesation isn't fascinating (well, ok, it's not to me - I have a "simple" KA DW and DH does all the dishwashing so it's not my bayliwick but hey, I'm trying to be polite!) but I'm going to go back on topic. Well sort of. :)

I so want to scream and pull my hair out at the newbie thread. I just don't get it and I've come this close to quitting kitchens and may still. The pettiness and repeatedness of the argument has really got me down.

Mommy! She called me a "newbie". Does this smack of childishness to anyone else but me? It's been stated and restated what the intent of the thread is, yet folks keep insisting that we're telling them what to do.

It's simple. We're offering advice (as we do on so many threads). Don't like it? Don't take it. Period. Oh well.

And as for a certain MT, her tone has been the same since she joined this forum oh so long ago. She came out bashing things she knew nothing about. It wasn't noticed by all, and she does consistently post her personal tribulations here on conversations and gets great responses, then proceeds to make uncalled for comments elsewhere. I've seen her do it a dozen times at least. I stopped reading her posts long ago, just not interested.

Oh well, anyone reading, go ahead and bash me, I don't care anymore. I've tried so hard to be nice on these forums, I've been so careful to try to word things in the right way and to help where I can -- because I'm so thankful of the immeasurable amount of help I received when I needed it. Maybe this past occurance is just a sign that I've given back what I owed and now I should move on. Who knows.

• MariposaTraicionera
    17 years ago

Some of you cannot see the way you respond at times to the newer members. You gripe about the continuous posts on what you might feel is not so important without realising that there are 'new' or 'newer' members out there who are sometimes afraid to ask a question! How sad is that, huh?

One thing I find very interesting though is the fact that some individuals decided to try and hit me on something that was personal and painful at the time i.e. knee surgery. What your bringing up of my trials and tribulations has to do with this topic baffles me. We all have trials in our lives...let's hope you have less than some of us. I'm not the only one who has ever brought personal problems on the board, and won't be the last. I would however at this time take the opportunity to warn others to take their personal stuff elsewhere. I think it's very low to bring up my past problems, and I cannot see the logical point of its use now...pretty much grade school attitude to be honest.

I came to this forum to get advice like you did and like hundreds of others do. I wasn't aware that any of you started this forum, or that when you first came on board, you were full of knowledge...you learned it like the rest of us...from others who had walked the walk, not so? I distinctly remember reading nearly the same type of problems before, and the hysterics when something went wrong. Questions haven't changed much...yours wasn't all that earth shattering either.

I've seen the tone and attitude change by some of the 'oldies' here and maybe you all are just tired? Maybe you're such pros now that all the trials and tribulations of the newer members seem boring and trivial? Whatever it is, please take some time to reaccess your attitude and maybe you'll see why I posted on both threads. Whether you want to believe it or not, some of you come across very condescending to our newer members.

Good night.

• User
    17 years ago

I appreciate the frustrations that some people are expressing and I too experienced giving lengthy responses especially via email which were not acknowleged but I think maggie2094 makes some good points and Bill makes a good role model. I'm glad I was a newbie long before Conversations was added, back in the days when Spike kept a tight rein on OT topics on the forums. Then, the worst that a newbie would get was a sharp knuckle rap by AKAs_TJ (who pretty much sticks to Laundry these days) but it was directed at a specific person and a specific incident. This isn't the first thread lamenting the deterioration of the forum and talking negatively about newbies in general as if they're deaf and blind. I can picture it being pretty off-putting and I wonder how many new people have been 'lost'. Although it's Conversations, it's still an open forum and not a private conversation.

In the old days, the old timers 'monitored' newbies even more when there was a very limited number of threads and there was always the issue of presentation and reception which requires sensitivity to the fact that communication is limited to written words. However I think we need to be aware and (beware) of setting up an us/them situation as seems to be happening now. As maggie said, a big part of the value of this forum is the bonding experience with contemporaries, not just the experience of the old timers being passed down.

As time goes by, I still read but I respond less and less. Thanks to seekingadvice for continuing to 'speak' for me when the Dacor downdraft topic comes up (again and again) :-).

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I for one am sorry that it has been perceived that we all must think newbies are deaf and blind. That was never my intention. I'm perfectly content to let the ''newbie'' thing drop, since the fallout has been much more toxic than I ever anticipated, and I (and many others) are not coming from that place. I can see that approaching this from a different angle may have made the ''tone'' of this issue easier to digest; at the same time I am sad that people prefer to jump to their own conclusions without understanding. Have you heard that old joke? ''Sure, I exercise! I jump to conclusions.''

I would feel remiss however, if I didn't address this one thing...especially since we have all been advised repeatedly to ignore certain posts if we're not interested in them. I am certainly interested in this one however and would appreciate a straight answer to straightforward question.

Mariposa, perhaps you are referring to my post...Mariposa has stated on another thread elsewhere that the forum sometimes feels like an old boys club to her. I was sorry to read that, since I remember when she first started posting she received much sympathy (from the old boys club) for what she had done to her knees during a DIY project. I just wonder what happened that made her feelings change? Mariposa, if you're there, would you enlighten us? I for one, would genuinely like to know how sympathy returns as scorn, because I don't understand it.

I'm sorry if you think there is any malice behind the question, however I can assure you there is not. I just don't think that way. I don't feel any need to attack others, because I know my thoughts and attitude genuinely come from a good place. I also don't take your statements personally, because although you may think my comments are condescending, I don't intend them to be. If you'll read your current statements, you are the one issuing Warnings. What's that about? Frankly, I am equally baffled by your attitude, especially when you received so much support in the past from the same people you feel the need to warn. It's a simple statement of fact which has nothing to do with your former troubles, yet everything to do with your support base. If you wouldn't attack people, you wouldn't feel such a need to be defensive.

Actually, I'm not tired at all by the fresh faces I see at the kitchen forum. It's more fair to say I am tired of those who seem to be intentionally obtuse in their judgments, or those who don't listen. It's just a thought, but I'm wondering Mariposa...could it be you are suffering from the same malady of discontent that you are accusing others of?

Perhaps you might be more understood if you would address the questions directly. It is my perception that you have completely missed the point. Did you know that when you point a finger at someone else, there are four more pointing back at you?

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I'll tell ya-- with threads like this one and the newbies thread, I wish this forum DID have moderators, and I was one of em. These two threads would disappear in a HEARTBEAT!! To paraphrase the old "with friends like these" cliche, with threads like these, who needs TROLLS!!

Threads like these seem to get everyone in an uproar, bickering and fighting with each other-- even people who've gotten along for months (and in some cases, YEARS).

Bottom line-- if you don't like the questions, don't answer them! If you can offer some constructive help, DO answer them, but don't be sitting there waiting for a pat on the back for it-- it doesn't always come.

If you can't deal with those parameters, then maybe it's time to move on.

Ever hear the alcoholics' prayer? Change the things you can, accept the things you can't, and know the difference between the two? This is one of those things you CAN'T change, so either you accept it and deal with it, or move on.

End of story.

• skw1009
    17 years ago

AMEN, Bill....Both of these threads should have been deleted long ago...

• MariposaTraicionera
    17 years ago

Bill, you said it perfectly: "Bottom line-- if you don't like the questions, don't answer them! If you can offer some constructive help, DO answer them, but don't be sitting there waiting for a pat on the back for it-- it doesn't always come.

If you can't deal with those parameters, then maybe it's time to move on."

Thank you.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no problem with this, since I've been practicing it for years. I do notice however, it's terribly convenient advice for those who like to start fires (yet don't give much back that's truly constructive).

Shall we all move on from this topic?

• paulines
    17 years ago

"What your bringing up of my trials and tribulations has to do with this topic baffles me."

Mari, I was just as baffled. If you feel there tends to be an "old boys' club" atmosphere here at the KF, why would you initiate threads of a personal and/or sensitive nature, eliciting advice and sympathy from those same folks? Call me crazy, but the last thing I would do, is put my life out there for folks I didn't feel comfortable with.

The ironic thing is that the suggestions made by Luna on the 'newbie thread' are addressed in the Management's Rules and Instructions (specifically; please search before posting + no double posting). Why shoot the messenger, then?

Bill, perhaps that's where the frustration eminates - I don't think anyone's looking for a pat on the back (as nice as that would be), but let everyone follow the rules and a little common curtesy ~

• wooderlander
    17 years ago

a little common curtesy

At first I read this as "a little common curtsy." Yes, let's all follow the rules and then do a little curtsy! It would be so polite. :D

• stumpyouch
    17 years ago

I think some of you people need to get off the computer and go get a life. For a silly little internet forum to cause you so much grief is idiotic.

Stumpy

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Oh yeah-- that's JUST what this forum needs is to see me doing a curtsy!! ROTFLMAO

Should I take my kneepads off first? :-)

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure Bill! I'd like to see that with or without your kneepads...

• wooderlander
    17 years ago

But if I did a little common curtsy, would I be able to get back up again? That is the question.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Claire-- be careful what you ask for!! :-)

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aw, c'mon Bill...I think it might just cheer me up. Add a bandana to go with the biker look along with your knee pads, and you could just make my day.

Wooderlander, only you know for sure. I'm pretty sure that would be difficult for me...It's good to have people waiting in the wings in case you need...uh...a physical aid.

• adichristi
    17 years ago

"GONE WITH THE WIND"

SPIKE, why did you leave us?

• monicakm_gw
    17 years ago

HEY C de L, lowspark, paulines, fairgold, Bill, weed, mindstorm et al...It's been months and months and months since I've logged onto the Kitchen forum. How is everyone? I know this thread is OLD but in my search for 'Tapmaster' I found this thread and since (the lack of) etiquette is a big issue with me (Where oh where has it gone??), I had to see what this was all about. Wouldn't you know it....Bill offering to show C de L what he looks like sans his kneepads :o Is that legal??
    What am I doing here? Well, the other day, while in the kitchen and making full use of my beloved Tapmaster, I wondered how long it had been since the subject has been mentioned here on the Kitchen Forum. Would hate it if some newbie TKOs created their dream kitchen without at least knowing about it. That's why I was searching Tapmaster and I see it has been recently discussed. Good!
    I'm doing well. I have a BEAUTIFUL 8 month old grandson named Thatcher. Oh, you think it's just a proud grammuffy talking when I say he's beautiful?? What's that?? You want to see proof? Ok, if you insist There are 10 pages of pictures You're more than welcome to browse them if you've nothing better to do :) I watch him twice as week while mommy is finishing her teaching degree. There's not enough letters on the keyboard to describe how much we love this precious child :)
    My best friend and I just got back from Las Vegas. We didn't go to 'do the Vegas thing', our trip was about the Grand Canyon and we had to fly into and stay in Vegas. We did see Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian tho A treat of a lifetime! Spectacular. Second row, center. A dream come true as I've followed this musical from day one.
    Took a small plane to the Grand Canyon and rode 4-wheelers for 2.5 hours all up and down the canyon. One of God's better works to say the least :)) It was THE most fun!
    Well, I hope the forum's ebb has turned more kind and patient. There is a wealth of information and support (and wonderful people) on this forum. I can't believe how long some have stayed on offering help after they finished their kitchens. I stayed quite awhile (class of 2002) and still have my kitchen pictures up and answer questions when someone emails me at my pbase acct. Kudos to all those that are still here and helping :)
    We still haven't started our bathroom remodels. Husband has to finish is shop as I'm tired of my patio being the 'construction zone'. So nice touching base with all of you. I'll check back and see if anyone remembers me :)
    Oh, and who is keeping Bill on his toes by arguing with him?? SOMEone has to!
    Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Grandson

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Monica! (Long time...) Thatcher is beautiful, and how he's grown! We're just finishing up the last of our bathroom remodel (you know I put that off for a good reason and now I'm reminded what it was) and I'm glad it's almost done. Check your e-mail in the next few days, I'd love to catch up with you.

• paulines
    17 years ago

Monica!!! That little bean of yours is captivating and absolutely beautiful - I love the two little teeth! Please come around more often, you were such an asset to this forum and so much fun to have around.

Hey Luna!, how ya doing?

Ok Bill, what'd want to fight about - gotta keep you on your toes, per Monica, lol

I had to chuckle rereading the above thread, the "attention seeking one" is still up to her old tricks - even created a dual persona. Some things never change, lol

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

monikam, how nice to hear from you !!!! I have a 2 year old grandson now; I understand how in love you must be !! I also have an art gallery now to manage so I'm not on the forums as much but I'm up very early and that's when I check in or else now when dh is away in the evening.
    I still remember your quest for those silicone spoons !!
    We'll be moving within the year so I read and try to get ideas for my next kitchen.

don't be a stranger and come back once in a while !!!!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

hey Lady!! Sounds like you're doing all right!! As for arguing with me, there's a whole forum that would love to tack my hide on a wall (hot topics)!! But that's a different story. :-) Over here, I'm still a nice guy.

That's one good lookin grandson!! Talk about BLUE eyes!! WOW!! He looks like he can be a real handfull too, if he gets a mind to be!! LOL

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Monica, Did you get my e-mail? Has your address changed? If you didn't, please e-mail me your new address so I can resend.

• monicakm_gw
    17 years ago

It's nice to know I haven't been forgotten :) I came back to this thread an hour ago and got sidetracked by chiefneil's beautiful house :) I SURE wish I had high speed when I hung out on the forum 24/7

C de L, no, didn't get your email. I hope you still have a copy of it in your sent folder. My email address has changed. It's monicakm@...well, I guess I better use my gmail acct right now. Never know who's lurking. monicakm@gmail.com I can't wait to see pictures of your bathrooms.

paulines, OK, I'm counting on you to keep Bill on his toes. He gets the impression, sometimes, that he knows more about stone installation than us women-folk :)) I don't know, some nonsense about doing it for a living :P

mitchdesj, managing a gallery...now why can I SO see you doing that :) Perfect! Do you enjoy it? Lucky you getting to design a new kitchen...on a TKO would know that's not a sarcastic remark Those silicone spoons (with the steel handles! Every time I pick one up I'm in awe of how great they are Have we EVER seen your entire kitchen? I don't think I did. Would LOVE to tho :)

Bill, Bill, Bill. Have you learned nothin'? So who have you got wanting to tan (and hang)your hide? It's not the JB forum is it? As for hides, if the color is right (can't be too pasty), I might consider hanging yours on my wall next to my Texas Longhorn cowhide

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind words about my "Baby McDreamy"...that's what I've called him since he was 1 week old and I took this picture (link below). I can barely think of anything else when he's not here. As soon as he leaves, I'm counting the hours till he's back in my arms :) This grammuffy has it BAD

Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby McDreamy

• sugarbreak
    17 years ago

I remember your kitchen. You have the beautiful granite tile countertops and you were so kind when I was new and asking questions about it.

Your grandson is precious. My grandson is 19 months and I keep telling everyone he is my reward for not killing my teenagers.

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Hiya, Monica! I'm Class of '04, so I guess I was a sophomore when you were a senior! I remember how you touted--er--explained the Tapmaster to the uninitiated. I'm ever grateful that I learned about it, as DH and I have been very happy with it for the past 3 years. A belated thank-you!

And, guess what? I've got two of those silicone spoons, too (one is slotted). They're great!

I've gravitated to the Cooking Forum, but I still check back here occasionally to come to the defense of Corian and contribute my 2 cents from time to time. I love catching up with old friends here, especially on the Conversations side.

I remember the photos of your DD's wedding, and now she's a Mommy! Your GS is absolutely adorable! You're so lucky to have the pleasure of taking care of him on a regular basis. I'm still an empty-nester, with no grandchildren. But I do have two precious babies, a great-niece and a great-nephew, who were born on the same day a few months ago. I only wish I lived closer to them.

Thanks for stopping by. Don't be a stranger! :-)

Sue

• monicakm_gw
    17 years ago

OH that's that GOOD one sugarbreak (your reward)! Don't mind if I use it occasionally do you? Bill Cosby says grandparents are just old people trying to get into heaven...his reply when HIS kids think they're grandparents are the MOST wonderful people ever
    Thank you for the compliment on my kitchen and Baby McDreamy :) I so enjoyed doing my part to help others on this forum. I wouldn't have the kitchen I have today if it wasn't for the great group of people here (and on the JB Tile forum). And horrors of horrors, I wouldn't have my TAPMASTER :)) I think that's what God would have created on the 7th day if he hadn't decided to rest

• sjerin
    17 years ago

monica-- I've gotta say, that is one of the darn cutest babies I've ever seen!! No wonder you're so in love. No, you don't remember me because I've only been around for about 9 months, (and still haven't even started my project.) My kids are older teenagers and I'm just ga-ga when I get to be around someone's baby/toddler. I too am in awe of the lovely people here who are sooooo helpful, especially the ones who finished long ago and answer questions over and over. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

monica, that baby is picture perfect, what a doll.

my kitchen does not photograph well and I've hated my cabs since day one; but since you mentioned it, here's the link...
    I'm posting it since this thread will reach it's limit soon.
    It's been fun to visit with you !!

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic kitchen

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, Monica....you have some powerful mojo girl, because I think this is the first time anyone has ever seen Mitch's kitchen in its entirety. I do remember asking to see it a very long time ago!

I also remember your backsplash Mitch from a brief picture in the very beginning of my time at Gardenweb, which I absolutely LOVE. As far as artistic backsplashes go, yours is among my most favorite (then and now). I also love the miles of counterspace and think your kitchen would still inspire some people. Thanks for sharing it.

• monicakm_gw
    17 years ago

Gosh mitchdesj, you must think I'm horrible! I AM :o You were so kind as to finally show your kitchen in it's entirety and I don't even comment on it :( Please forgive me!
    It is as beautiful and special as I thought it would be. I absolutely adore your curved counter and the pattern of your floor tile. Would you mind sharing the name of your floor tile? Very VERY nice indeed! Thank you for sharing it with us :)
    Monica

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022