Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

O/T Breezy could use a lift

angie_diy
11 years ago

Dear GW community,

For such a well-trafficked forum, we are still something of a family. A large, extended, many-interested, sometimes unruly family, each with many cares, joys, and concerns. One of our family members, Breezygirl, is suffering right now. She received some bad news about her father recently. She conveyed this in the "New to Kitchens" thread, a pained voice seeking an outlet among friends. There are not many of us regulars who actually look at that thread, so I have decided to start a thread over on Conversations. (Click here.)

I have communicated privately with Breezy, and know that she would welcome your support over in that forum.

For now, please don't bump this thread, at least not until it begins to sink in a few days. Instead, use the "Conversations" thread. We don't make enough use of that forum, and this the kind of thing it was meant for.

Dear Wendy, on behalf of the GW KF, please accept our thoughts, prayers and support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread for Breezy on Conversations forum

Comments (111)

• babs711
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Breezy I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• jscout
    11 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

• sayde
    11 years ago

Breezy, so very sorry for your loss.

• prill
    11 years ago

Wendy, so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My heart goes
    out to you and your whole family during this difficult time.
    Priscilla

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• homeagain
    11 years ago

I would like to add my condolences also. So sorry for your loss.

Bren

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Oh no. I am so sorry for your loss. There are no real words of comfort for you that I can say. I believe he is in a better place. Probably playing cards with both of my parents right now. That's what I want to believe.

These will be some very difficult days ahead. You will make it through them, stay strong for your mom. He will stay with you always, he is the man who taught you so much, every decision you make in your life is in someway a result of something you learned from him. Remember that.

Remember your cyber family is keeping you in their prayers during these times.

(((hugs)))

Karen

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Wendy, I'm so sorry for your loss of your father. I continue to hold you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Amanda

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Wendy - so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
    Gina

• yellowdog2
    11 years ago

Dearest Breezy,
    I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

Oh, Wendy, that's just horrible. Deepest condolences to you and your family.

• jmcgowan
    11 years ago

Wendy, it was heart-breaking to hear the news of your Dad. I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's such a difficult time. I hope that many fond and special memories of your Dad will lift you up as you trudge through the grief.

• glo1751
    11 years ago

Oh Breezy, This is my first post, (long time lurker), I have been a follower of your posts. Sooo very sad to hear of your loss. Please keep in mind that time will heal your pain. Our prayers are with you.

• Kat3kits
    11 years ago

Dear Wendy,
    What a shock to lose your dad so suddenly...I am very sorry. May you receive peace and comfort through your sorrow. We'll continue to keep your family in our prayers.

• scootermom
    11 years ago

Oh Breezy, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a difficult time for all of you. I pray for strength, comfort and peace for you and your loved ones. Hugs to you, sweetie.

• shmeal
    11 years ago

Dear Breezy, I also want to send you my condolences. That seems such a simple word at times like this. I am sorry for your loss. I believe that your father's spirit lives on through those he loved and those who loved him. May you find comfort and peace and feel support and love from the prayers being raised for your family.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Breezy, I am so very sorry for your loss. My father passed 12 years ago last month and not a day goes by that I don't think of him and miss him greatly. While he is gone physically, he still lives on in my memories and in my heart, and while I know it's certainly not the same, I do feel like he is still with me in some strange way. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Sitting down tonight to read your messages made me cry over and over. And I was doing sort of OK tonight. ;) I appreciate all of the comforting words and the relating of your personal experiences. I know I'll come back to your posts again at the times when I'm feeling alone in my grief.

When I said goodbye to my Dad that day at his house before the funeral home took his body, the word peace kept repeating in my head. The man never showed pain. He was tougher than pavement, as my uncle said. But in the weeks since his initial diagnosis, his pain grew exponentially. The pills he was taking weren't lessening the pain so he had been switched to a long-acting med the day before, which didn't work either. I spoke to him the night before he died and again heard the extreme pain in his voice. Despite that, he told me, as usual, that he'd be fine. I asked him to page his onco doc about the new meeds not working, and he appeased me by saying he'd do it in the morning.

No matter how much it hurt to see him gone, I knew that the pain finally left him. The chemo road ahead with uncurable cancer would, I know, have been miserable for him. To see his grandchildren for a few more months would have been enough to make him bare it, though. Peace.

My Dad had a CaringBridge site where he journaled about his cancer. No one wanted to write this journal update. I couldn't sleep that night so wrote this post below. I thought I'd share it with you since you've been along on the ride with me. (Bonnie is my Dad's wife, not my mother.)

PEACE
    Written May 13, 2012 7:54pm

Our amazingly strong father has been saying for weeks that we'll beat his pancreatic cancer. In a way, he has. Sadly, he suffered a sudden heart attack yesterday morning at his home while sitting in his favorite chair. As Bonnie described it, he has gone home to be with the Lord.

Bonnie was immediately surrounded by family (Dad's brother Brian and his wife Sue, daughter Wendy and Kevin, son David and Karen with their sons Zander and Isaac, son Daniel and Melissa with their daughter Katie, son Adam and Danielle expecting their first child in July, Bonnie's daughter Cassie with her family, Bonnie's sister and her husband, and Bob Hager), church family and pastor, and friends who brought food, flowers, love, support, and prayers. I'm not sure I could name all the people who visited as there were so many (most of whom I've never met), but we thank all of you for your love.

Dad was anticipating both his grandson Nathan's first T-ball game that afternoon and, what he couldn't mention in his journal post from Friday, the surprise birthday party he had been planning for Bonnie. I'm sure he was cheering Nathan on from heaven, and the sounds of his other grandchildren playing and laughing in his living room must have made him chuckle and shake his head in delight as it always did.

Probably because he didn't want a big fuss made over him, Dad told Bonnie that he didn't want a memorial service. We think it important for his many, many friends and loved ones to have a chance to gather together to share our memories of him so we are planning for some type of event to honor him. He touched so many people with his humor, stories, kindness, and fishing and hunting prowess over his too-short life. Please stay tuned for details.

Thank you deeply for the loving support and prayers you offered to Dad and Bonnie over the past weeks. I know that hearing from all of you and reading your messages on his guestbook helped give him the strength to keep fighting. His pain is now gone, and he is in peace.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

and Peace be with you Wendy.

(((hugs))))

• sjmitch
    11 years ago

Breezy, I am so sorry for your loss.

• aokat15
    11 years ago

Breezy - I also just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss... those words always seem so inadequate, but I am sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Wendy, reading your journal entry made me cry. Your Dad sounds like an inspiring and wonderful man. At home with the Lord, indeed... I hope the good memories of him and all the people who love him will help carry you through the low times.

~Amanda

• nini804
    11 years ago

Oh, Breezy, what a beautiful journal entry. Your father sounded like an amazing man. I am so very sorry for your loss, and wish you and your family peace and comfort. (((hugs)))

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Your journal entry was so beautiful! You celebrate his life with your loving words. My thoughts are with you and your family. Amy

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

That was beautiful, Wendy.

I hope you will be blessed with some peace in the days, weeks, months to come.

More (((HUGS))) to you and your family.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Wendy what a beautiful post.
    There is an old Latin saying, vita mutatur non tollitur, it means that life is changed, not ended. Your father will live on in the wonderful memories of you and your children and all who loved him.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your thoughts during this very emotional time. Losing a parent is so hard as many of us have experienced. Your comments reminded me that when my dad passed away of cancer, he was in a coma in the hospital, and we were all sitting around his bed telling stories and laughing. We wondered - should we be laughing - but my dad was always up for a story (he was usually the one telling it) and for a good laugh. He died a couple of hours later and we like to think that we sent him on his journey with a big smile on his face and a great memory of his family around him.

My thoughts continue to be with you and your family.

Lynn

• library_girl
    11 years ago

Wendy,
    I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face after reading your touching journal entry. What a beautiful tribute to your father.

My thoughts are with you and your family and I pray that your memories of him bring you much peace and comfort.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

My husband and I have lost both our parents, a couple of them very young. It's very hard no matter what age. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I loved your "Celebration of Life" in lieu of a service. Be grateful for your close family, and see him in the faces of his grandchildren!

Hugs to you!
    Joyce

• mangiamo
    11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your fathers passing Wendy. My sincere condolences to you and your family. It will be the most simple events that trigger memories that will be most heart wrenching and the most comforting. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult period of loss.

Mary

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Oh Wendy, this is not what I was wanting to find tonight. I haven't been on here for a few weeks, but for some reason, I had you on my heart this evening, so I jumped on here to see if I could find you and send you a private message just to let you know I was thinking about you....and ugh, this is what I find. I am so so sorry Wendy, I know what you are going through and it stinks. Like Bee said, nothing we can say will ease your pain, but know people are lifting you up right now.

Please know you are not alone. You will have tough days ahead, and if you are like me, they are days that pop up out of no where for no reason at all...just because (not a holiday or a birthday, just a normal ol' day). My offer still stands, I am here to listen if you just need to vent your thoughts, anger or emotions :-)

I will continue to pray for you. Your word about Peace was so neat. We know peace comes from the Lord!!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Just read this Wendy and I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I can't imagine what you're going through but hope you and your family find peace. You will be in my prayers.

Fishies

• roarah
    11 years ago

Wendy, I hope that your memories may provide you with comfort during this very sad time.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

Dear Wendy,

My heart is saddened tonight to learn of your dad's passing. What a shock to me, but so much more to you. I am thankful that you knew the love of such a caring, wonderful man. That is a tremendous blessing. I too, am facing the possibility of losing my dear father (he's fighting stage IV cancer.) Each day is a gift.

May the Lord draw you and your family closer to each other and himself, and may he comfort your hearts during this time. I'm praying for you and your loved ones!

(((Hugs)))

-Amy

• rikerk
    11 years ago

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. It is awful to lose a parent, what a touching entry you wrote about your dad.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Breezy,
    Your journal entry tells me you have a wonderful family and your dad clearly set the example. What a dad--planning a surprise party while he battles pancreatic cancer! I was laughing and tearing up all at once. So wish we could be there with you to support you but glad that you are surrounded by caring friends as well as your family.

Colorfast
    (did you find a home for the dogs?)

• piaa
    11 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Piaa

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I am so very sorry for the loss of your father. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Breezy, my mom died from pancreatic cancer in 1997. I can honestly say that I would have chosen heart failure for her over the pancreatic cancer if I could have. As devastating as his loss is, the way he passed could have been a blessing in disguise. Lots of hugs your way! Deedra

• dreamingnh
    11 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. When I lost my father a few years ago, I missed being a "daddy's girl" because there was something so special about how proud he was of me and his unconditional love and support. It sounds like you had that special relationship too. But I still feel his love even though he is gone. It sounds strange to hear but as others have posted we still feel that connection. Take comfort that he would want you to go on and be happy with your family. You are passing on to your kids what he gave you. Hang in there.
    Stacey

• annac54
    11 years ago

Breezy, I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is so hard, and it sounds like you had a special relationship with him and wanted to spend more time with him. We lost my MIL to pancreatic cancer years ago. It's probably not much comfort, but the end stages of this are very painful, and it's hard to watch someone you love suffer.

Wishing you and your family peace and comfort as you move on through your grief and celebrate your father's life.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Oh, Breezy, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Sending you strong thoughts and prayers for peace and comfort in your beautiful memories of your wonderful father.

Cj

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

Breezy, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine. I'm glad to hear you have peace but even so, I know it doesn't make it any easier. I'll be praying for you and your family.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Breezy, I apologize for taking days to respond to the post about your fathers death. You would think that someone who has lost both parents, a brother and a son would know exactly what to say to someone whose beloved family member has died but I don't. I can say though that I am sharing in your sorrow. Hopefully knowing that others are feeling some of your pain will lessen it a bit for you.
    My son died within 3 months of being diagnosed with cancer and it was only with the support from others that I was able to muster the strength to move forward a little bit each day. I am praying that you will find that support from the rest of your family and from your friends.
    With sincerest sympathy,
    Badgergal

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Breezy (Wendy), I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father so suddenly when your family had such hope that he would fight the Pancreatic Cancer. So very sorry... My father passed away a week after my car accident in August 2007 and since I was so hurt I had been unable to visit him all week before he passed away and it hurt me so much. My mother passed away when I was 16 so after my father left, I felt all alone. I hope you have others in your family that you are close to and are not alone. Know we all love you and feel like we know you from your posts and we all care. I am sending my sincere condolences and comforting cyber hugs.

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Wendy- so sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your dad. Your caring bridge entry is so wonderful and so true. Even though he is no longer with you, you will be able to remember him as he was now instead of remembering him going through chemo and all the issues associated with it. He really was spared so much pain. Hugs.

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh, Wendy, I am so very sorry! Your CaringBridge tribute was beautiful--thank you for sharing something so personal with us. I will lift you and your family up in prayer as soon as I submit this. Praying for the Lord to comfort you, strengthen you, and sustain you with the peace that passes all understanding.

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

Wendy, I was so saddened to hear that your father was again diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, only to be shocked of his sudden passing.

Your love for him is demonstrated in that though your heart is broken beyond comprehension, you are happy for him that he is at peace and pain free. Though he isn't here physically with you, he will always be with you where ever you go because he will always reside within your heart. You are in part the person you are because of who he is.

None of us are ready to loose a parent. You read from those that have already lost a parent (I lost both of mine - my mom 3 days after my 35 b-day) and one of the things they tell you is how old they were...it's life changing. My DH lost his DM in Feb and I remember when I held him in my arms as he wept. There are no words that can be said or anything anyone can do to ease the loss for those that are suffering.

Life is likely getting back to "normal" which feels in itself abnormal. The normalcy though will come and thoughts of your Dad as you busy yourself with your family will come about. He will be there giving you the strength to not only cope with the loss of his passing, but through life. Now he is that much closer in spirit.

• cardamon
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you and your family peace and healing in the days ahead. There is nothing like the love of your Dad. He will be with you always.

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Breezy, I've been away from GW for a bit and wanted to offer my somewhat late condolences. Very sorry to hear of your father's illness and sudden passing. I lost my dad nearly 10 years ago to cancer - though you will always miss him I hope you may soon find peace and comfort.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Breezy- I'm so sorry about your Dad! I hadn't seen the update and I just wanted to give you a 'hug' and say I'm so sorry, for your loss.