Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV111!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 0:56

I guess we're over here now!

Feliz Cinco de Mayo a todos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part XV11 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV111!

Oh my gosh. Plllog it just occurred to me that the new Wok looks like a UFO-Spaceship. Really!

o

Thank you for the Le Crueset info, plllog - it's very helpful. :o)

Looks like you all don't talk so much when the thread is at the limit. hee hee

Anyone have suggestions on curtains for us? I am kind of leaning towards plaid. I will make them, but need to find some material.

This is kind of where I'm leaning (although I think a 50's cherry print would be awfully sweet even though I don't have a 50's kitchen....)

o

Oh, Missy, do the cherries!!!! I always say there's room for kitsch in the kitchen, and those are just so stinkin' cute!! (That's my friend's expression--it seems to be leaking out of me this week.) The plaid is very fresh and cool and should look great in the room. Will it be warm and cheery enough in the summer? You have great taste so I know either will look terrific, but those cherries are just so stinkin' cute!

o

I really like the Cherries!

o
stinkin' cute

LOL I really like the cherries too. They are stinkin' cute eh?

Prior to the reno, I had a vintage 50's tablecloth just hanging over the rod as a curtain. I am wondering if I should cut it up, and use it as trim on plain white curtains. I could use the cherries in the same manner.

o

Love those cherries! Real vintage is always better if you have something you don't mind using that way.

For more inspiration, check out Anthropologie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthropologie

o

Sigh. Above I meant to ask if the cool colored plaid would be warm and cheery enough in the winter. Sigh.

Is the tablecloth sunbleached? What's it look like? I think the cherries could look good as trim if they really show enough. Maybe a deep hem of them? They'll probably stay cherry colored longer with a backing. Or do you folks even have that problem? With your 10pm sunsets and all...

o

Thanks for the link, Steff. :o) I agree that real is better. I wouldn't mind cutting up the tablecloth that was there, as it was not in great shape anyways, and it would be nice to give it a new life I think. I would hate to cut up one that was still in good condition.

plllog, I wondered about the summer/winter coolness lol I wasn't quite sure what you meant. Now it's all clear. :o) I think that it may be a bit cool in the winter - Good excuse for new ones? hehehe

Yes, the tablecloth is a bit sun-bleached in places. Yes, we do have that problem. lol In the summer the sun's rays are quite intense due to the angle. The South side of anything always suffers sun damage. A backing is a good idea *sigh*. You're making me step out of my usual lazy selfness.

I just posted some update pics if you are interested ..

old thread

new thread

o

Missy a BIG Wooooo Hooooo. Really nice. It looks HUGE! What a difference with the Hardwood Floor. I liked the photo of the vinyl removal, two layers worth :)
Not that I don't like Vinyl.

The Dining area tile looks really nice.

o
mutter mutter

Thanks Solly. :o) The vinyl was so awful to remove. ugh. I had to do each of 4 layers at a time. I was pooped, lemme tell ya! Isn't the hardwood wonderful? I am SO glad we chose this kind and finish! The tile is only in the entryways (front and patio). I am not a big tile fan, as it hurts my feet, but we needed something other than wood by the doors.

Steff, I think you had asked awhile ago how my job was going. That's partly why I've been so absent. I'm working a lot more than I had intended, due to some others being sick. I'm grateful for the work, and really LOVE LOVE my job, but I am getting tired. :o) I think that the reno is also tiring me - not just the work, but living in the upheaval is stressful.

I dug out my wrinkly tablecloth and took a picture. Do you think it would work as an edging for new curtains?

Photobucket

o

The floors are beautiful and everything else looks good.

That tablecloth looks great and you definitely have the skills to pull it off. Wonder if a white field is too plain or make the vintage pieces look faded or yellow. Applique with the printed pieces cut out might work if you know how to do that. I've seen it done, but never tried it.

o

Thanks Steff! :o) Applique is a fabulous idea! I think that would look so sweet!
I have never done it, and don't really have the time to learn right now, but maybe I'll just do something really easy and light for this summer, and work on that as a winter project.
Good thoughts on using a the white field. We are planning on doing the cupboard doors an off-white, so perhaps I should find a background to match that. Or maybe put the applique on a checkerboard pattern or something. The square pattern on the tablecloth is red. It doesn't show up very well in the pic. I think that's partly what really attracted me to that particular cloth.

o
RE: Curtains

Now that you have some ideas going it's a good idea to just do something you don't mind changing later.

A small print or windowpane would be a great background. You may find a similar print and see if there's a coordinate.

o
re: We have air

Update from SA

The A/C is done and we're waiting on the inspector.

It appears that the screws in the ductwork were not from the subfloor, but someone screwed and nailed the shower pan down. It keeps getting worse....

I'll keep thinking about the new shower

Photobucket

o

Oh Steff! So sorry to hear of your continuing bathroom woes. :o(

I love the shower distraction, though! Is that the one you're planning on using?

I'm glad your A/C is done. So much of it is one step at a time ....

o

At least we're finding and fixing the problem. The house is nearly 20 years old now so the room was due for an update.

I think this type of shower fixture will work best for us. Don't want the built in shower tiles, too much can go wrong. I've been keeping an eye on the Bath forum and will drop in there for advice when we get to that point.

So many choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe

o

Steff, in the Cooking Forum they're asking about San Antonio puffy tacos. If you know anything about making them, maybe you can help them out?

o

Okay, awake enough to catch up. :)

Steff, those shower thingummies are very interesting looking.

Missy, thanks for posting the links. I have to admit I'm so thick headed that I forget to go looking for your threads. :/

Applique is a great way to use your old, damaged tablecloth on the new curtains. Easy, quickie lining? Cut the face half an inch bigger than it needs to be, and the lining normal size. Sew together as if it were a pillow cover, turn, and carefully press so that the seams are all on the back. Slip stitch the opening to finish. Instant two layer that you can handle as if it were one layer.

Appliqué: Do you know freezer paper? Tape a piece of the cloth to a bright window, pretty side out, and tape a piece of freezer paper paper side toward you over it. Trace the exact shape you want to applique. Cut out the shape from the paper. Put the cloth face side down on your ironing board and carefully position the freezer paper over the shape you're going to cut out. Using the tip of your iron, stick the freezer paper to the fabric in a few dots then make sure it's in just the right place. Reposition if necessary, then use your whole iron to stick it down. Cut out your shape with approximately 1/4" seam allowance, trying not to bend the cloth enough to pop off the freezer paper (much easier to position it right before cutting out). Moving the iron sideways, fold the seam allowances over the edges of the papper and press in place making a hard crease. (Optional unless you have lumps: Clip the corners where you have overlaps, leaving at least a few threads before the fold over the paper. Also optional: Run a basting threads around the shape, trying to run through the layers of fabric in corners and turns, especially through both sides where you've clipped.) Position the shape on your background and tack stitch in place or use a short pin or two that your sewing thread won't get hooked on. Sew down by coming from the back through the crease in your shape, and straight down into the background, making a tiny up and down stitch rather than a long stitch like a whip or hem. Start on a long straight or gentle curve. When you're nearly down stitching you can use your needle or a bodkin to loosen the paper and remove it, and recrease the fold with your thumbnail or iron.

Does that sound like too much? Do the same method as the easy lining! Get some thin fabric that matches the background, put it face to face with your piece of tablecloth, sew most of the way around it, cut out leaving a quarter inch allowance, turn, close, and sew down.

You can also do raw edge applique. Draw around your tablecloth shape on the paper part of paper backed fusible interfacing as above. Draw another line around an eighth of an inch outside the shape and a line about an eighth of an inch inside. So you basically have three cherry shaped rings, for example. Cut out on the outer and inner lines so you have a quarter inch wide donut. Actually, for this version, maybe make the outside ring half an inch wide. Carefully press it so that it's right on the print in the fabric, though it doesn't have to be painfully accurate. Cut out the shape, including the excess interfacing-paper, i.e., cut out the middle line on the paper, but follow the print rather than relying on the line. Peel off the paper backing and iron your shape where you want it to be on your background. Stitch down by machine close to the edge using care and a zipper foot, or use any kind of pretty stitch by hand. This method isn't great for things that will be used heavily enough to fray, but should be fine for a curtain that isn't handled to roughly.

o

Steff, Glad you're getting to the root of the issues. I'm sure you'll get great advice in the Bath forums. :o)

(((plllog))) thank you!! That's fantastic info. The lining is something I will do regardless of what kind of curtain I make. Your 'easy' method sounds right up my alley. lol
I have saved your post to my clippings and will definitely have a go at doing applique when I have some time! You make it sound so simple! :o)

o

Missy, you're very welcome! The hard part of traditional applique was getting the edges turned neatly. They used to baste over newspaper or other paper, but without being able to stick it to the fabric. Learning to do it nicely took a lot of practice and skill. With an electric iron and freezer paper or Wonder Under the world is ours! The line each pieces version? That's something our foremothers did too! If they had sufficient resources to use extra fabric. What I left off above is press really really well after turning--but you knew that.

With all applique, spray starch is your friend.

o

Hi all, been busy. Sold the Houston house and lots to do now.

I'll have to go over to cooking and see if they still need info on puffy tacos.

There's actually a website puffytacos.com. I don't make them at home since Los Barrios restaurant is nearby and they are famous for them. They are very good and I always get one when we go there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Puffy Tacos

o

Yahooo!!!! Great news on the sale! But you will let us know when it closes, yes? That's when we'll have the real party.

Cool about the puffy tacos. It seems San Antonio has a very specific local culture. :) Love that!

o

I think Solman went to France to see about that chateau...

o

Thanks, plllog. Very exciting news, we just heard that everything is on track for closing. The house sold in 10 days for very close to asking price. Pretty good in this market. The kitchen apparently sold the house, no surprise there.

Finally got a chance to look at the cooking forum and really enjoyed it. I will try to check in there more often.
I had heard about the Throwdown, but missed the episode. I'll try to catch the rerun since the DVR won't go back.

We really enjoy San Antonio and the unique culture and setting. Hard to describe how it works, but we have a phrase "Pure San Antonio" which explains everything from the Texas Tornados to puffy tacos. Henry, The Puffy Taco is also the mascot for our minor league baseball team and is very popular at many events.

o
RE: Chateau

Ooooh, the Chateau. I do hope he finds something suitable.

o

Steff, I guess around here they say "Only in L.A." but that isn't always a good thing. :)

o

Plllog, the movie "L.A. Story" comes to mind when reading your post.

The Puffy Taco episode will be shown again on the 22nd so I'll try to catch it then. A new channel called "Cooking" will be launched May 31. It will apparently show actual cooking which FoodTV limits to daytime and weekend mornings.

The induction produces a great simmer and has also passed the pasta test by boiling water quickly and efficiently.

o

Great to hear you're enjoying the induction. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on faster in Texas because of the Summer temps. The other day I did a standard pasta boil in a wider bottomed pot than I'd used before, remembered to use boost, and got the instant boil that others rave about. :) It's not an important feature for me. If I'm going to use it I have to remember to boil the pasta last, rather than first. :)

Solly better be bringing us eclairs!

o

Mmmm, eclairs.

Induction is perfect for Texas, but the Wolf rangetop is much more popular. There just isn't much discussion of induction around here. When I use the gas cooktop now I'm amazed how much heat goes into the kitchen and not the pan. We need to decide whether to have a gas burner at all inside the house.

Induction does change the way I cook because I have to chop everything before putting the pan on to heat. I also have to add a little more water when using a wide pan because of the even heating.

o
Someone's Back...

With lots of goodies from Paris! But only for the good girls. Have you all been good now?

o

Who? Us??

o

SIGH;;;; I sure hope so, because you're all getting some real nice Parisian treats that I picked up on the way to the Airport this morning.

Not the pathetic, greasy donut type dough used in the American versions of this French favorite, French éclairs are a long, thin pastry made from choux pastry (which literally translates as "cabbage" pastry because of its appearance when made) and is filled with fresh cream and topped with icing (usually chocolate). In France, éclairs are made by baking the oblong choux until crisp and hollow and then filling it with coffee or chocolate flavored pastry cream.

OK ready?

Stef- The Zebra éclair is for you

Missy- The Maple Leopard is for you-The Canuck

Plllog(The Spoilt Naughty One)- Chocolate, Fine dark chocolat français.

Bon appétit!

5 leopard spots

7- FINISHED.JPG

o

Thank-you, Solly. (She says with her most winsome look.)

Actually, the eclairs here aren't as pretty, by and large, but they are made from proper choux paste and filled after. I like my present very much, but I was (sigh) hoping for custard.

o

Thank you, those are quite pretty and look really yummy.

We have actual French bakeries around here also. Sounds like Solly needs to spend a little less time in Buffalo.

o

Sounds like Solly needs to spend a little less time in Buffalo.

LOL!! Stef. And you said that so naturally. I love it. Yes Buffalo isn't exactly a cultural odyssey.

I'm just catching up on all the action since I was .... (you know working on THE SURPRISE) My you all "yack a lot" !

o

Well Well!!

I see our Plllog is not only a Betty Crocker in the Kitchen, but a Seamstress in disguise! SIGH ;;;; And here I thought all you did were Men's shirt buttons! :)

Say Plllog, if you get started now, you could have our 30 curtain sets done for the Chateau in time for Steff's arrival next month.

SHEEZE::: that's the least you can do after making me sweat it out last week on the old stone Third Floor.

o
Stef- A Big Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Steff- I see you dug some skeletons out of the Bathroom Closet; or should I say walls?

But the best news of all.... Houston we have a SALE! Literally.

Yayyyyy!

Congratulations Pictures, Images and Photos

Just like San Juan, yet another reason for yet another Fiesta! I mean it has been one long week since Cinco de Mayo :)

o
You Hoooo.

I've re-discovered the SUBMIT button!

This is fun.

C'mon Plllog, you said you'd come out to play after Dinner.

o
60 Minutes.

Oh. Stef before we talk about all Play, things were pretty serious on Sunday night's 60 Minutes and the US Housing foreclosure crisis. That's why I was celebrating that you actually were able to sell and really hope that you were able to recover your investment. I mean the people willingly walking away from all the homes was truly incredible.

Most notable was the map they showed of America and looks like California, Arizona and Florida were the real hot spots of trouble. I also noticed that Texas wasn't really highlighted.

They said almost 50% of all homes in the entire USA were under this devalued state. The one couple who had that home for $320,000 which the bank now valued at $85,000 was real jaw dropper.

As the Canadian, I paid particular interest to the analyst who said that they expect double the current rate of walk away's during the next 14 months :(
I'm so glad I didn't race to America to buy the "Winter Home." Looks like the real deals are still on the way. But truly sad for all the money people had put into their homes with nothing to show for.

I still don't get it. How can Canada be so different? Average Toronto price as I type $600,000 and with fierce bidding. Vancouver $1,000,000 with serious bidding. And the Canadian Real Estate market has just never gone down since I've followed it from the late 80's. Last year in the "fright" of the "recession", still bidding wars. In fact, the Market saw it as an opportunity to buy with low interest rates even with higher than normal unemployment.

A real head scratcher.

It's obviously the high immigration rates that likely causes the Supply shortages. Last week a new 40 storey Condo opened up for Sale in Downtown TO, people slept outside overnight and yes all 700 units were sold out in 2 hours after opening. Some people bought 2-3 Apt's! Go figure.

o
Hail Singer.

Missy-Wow, that was quite the expert advice you got for those Curtains. We're all waiting to see the photo!

Plllog-where do you learn all this good stuff anyways? I know. Artists make clothes don't they? Ms. Wonderful used to paint silk scarves and drag me to boring fabric shops and then start pumping that pedal for the latest new creation. Must be a girl thing :)

o
Never Seen Those

Puffy Tacos??

Ohh I get it, Tex-Mex.

That's why I haven't seen them. They're not in Mexico or... Buffalo :)

o

Asking a quilter to sew on a button is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

(Old saying--not bon mot for folder.)

o
Hint

It's colored on the outside and Black on the inside...

o
Another Clue

It opens and closes....

o

But...what if my buttons are special?

I honestly, still, have not learned to sew on a fallen button. How's that for sewing aptitude? But, like a cat, I do enjoy watching.

o
Yogi Berra

Stef- Oh oh. They say in Business never celebrate until the money's actually in the bank as in Closed Deal. Over.

So, we'll just put on the Sunglasses and act cool for now until the money actually hits your account.

But surely our rooting section will push things over the edge. We promise.

o
Very Interesting

"Asking a quilter to sew on a button is like asking Picasso to paint your garage".

Yeah don't worry, I'll put it in.

o
The New Bathroom

Steff- I truly agree with you on the no tiled showers. Although an acrylic stall with glass is not as chic or high end, I too love the security of knowing that water won't be creeping through the grout and into my walls and subfloor.

I remember my very good Italian plumbers words when I put in the Fiberglass neo angle, even he would never put a full tile shower on the second floor of his house. All the possibilities in case of failure are pretty fatal. Kitchen ceiling damage. Floor joists. Mould, and so on and so on.

o
Oh Well

Plllog's not coming out to play so I'm off. I hope you saved me at least a bite of the last Chocolate Eclair.

o

Sorry--busy day. I saved the whole last eclair for you!!

o

Thanks, Solly, the house sale is going well and it's up to the bank now. Everything looks good on that also.

We have a slightly different culture here so banks and realtors in Texas took a different approach to the housing frenzy. Realtors didn't encourage buyers to get in over their heads as they did in the areas where there are significant problems. Our local banks required down payments and proof of qualified income. There are still a lot of foreclosures here, but not nearly as many as areas with a high transient population.

In some areas mortgage brokers aided applicants in falsifying income and bank records. Many of them are headed for prison or heavy fines and a criminal record.

The first wave of foreclosures were those who bought houses as investments thinking they could turn a 100K profit within a year. When the bubble burst they were stuck and no way out except foreclosure. Some of these people got loans for $800K or more on incomes of less than 50K.

The next wave will be those who were qualified and really wanted to keep their homes, but the cascade of dropping home values and income combined with high unemployment in some areas is going to drive many to foreclosure as well.

When we embarked on the project we were prepared for the possibility that it could take a while to sell. The deal was structured in such a way that it would have been hard to lose money. We've had an interest in doing this for some time and the house only needed an update not a complete reno.

In our house we will probably have to tile the shower because it is an odd shape but there have been many advancements in underlayments so it should be fine. I was out looking at tile yesterday and find myself drawn to plain glazed tile. I did drift over to the Colorful Mexican tiles more than usual though. Not for the MBR shower, but maybe a guest bath.

o

Steff- Thanks for the very good explanation during which I spilled my tea, at least a couple of times :)

Come to think of it, a good underlayment may be OK. DITRA. I have bought some and absolutely want it for the tile countertop. All the "experts" told me it was overkill since it's meant for shower applications, which motivated me even more. Looks like the DITRA is not only waterproofing but a decoupling membrane. Brilliant.

I really hope you do the Talavera for the guest bath. I think it would really make guests feel good and remember you. It's so uplifting.

o
Clue

It looks like a member of the Shellfish family.

o

Let's go to the movies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe Subtitles?

o
Absent Mindedness?

Oh Oh.

Apple lost another iPhone 4G!

We're back to Steff's theory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Careless Buggers

o
Jon Stewart

LOL!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Enjoy!

o

Hm.... Unless it's a cheap, Asian knock off?

o

BTW, properly installed tile showers don't leak. The problem Steff has is that what was there wasn't installed properly!

o

Inspector Plllog- I like your theory.

Why would Steve let some Asian guy from the general public upstage his Official Unveiling on June 8.

o
Shower Power

Plllog- So you wouldn't be nervous at all putting a tile shower on the second floor? Wonder why my Plumber said otherwise :(

I have secretly been pondering an exit from my fiberglass "cage". But much easier said than done. Not to mention the- if ain't broke don't fix it.

o
Steff's New Guest Shower!

We were due for some nice cheery Talavera anyways. I still can't believe this one. Even the shape is dazzling.

talavera_r1_c1

o
Hint

It's portable.

o

BTW, properly installed tile showers don't leak. The problem Steff has is that what was there wasn't installed properly!

Nails and screws through the shower pan are not good. Another big problem is the shower is made entirely of cultured marble panels. Floor, wall, ceiling, curb, niches, sill--every single surface. It was the latest thing back then before they learned that cultured marble cracks when exposed to hot water.

The clues you are dropping... did you get a new fridge? Sell the old one?

o
RE: New phone?

Oops, missed the last clue.

You must have order a new phone? The ipad?

o

Steff is very dangerous to play hide and seek with. Eeek!

Hint.....

It starts with H and ends with H.

o

He went back in time and got a Heath!!!!!!!

I thought you meant the shower was portable. :) I have a tiled shower upstairs. Tell the fairies I don't mean to tempt them, but so far so good. Master shower, there for 25 years.

The thing is, it has to be done right. There are a lot of idiots who think you can just stick down tiles and that's the end. Without the beginnings, and without destroying them by doing things like putting holes in the shower pan. Ask the tile setter! BTW, the problem could be weight if the house wasn't built well, but I thought your kind of house was built strongly.

Oy. Steff. Cultured marble. That's that plastic stuff, right? All the sinktops here were the plastic stuff. The only one left is in the upstairs hall bath. The only things I did in there were a tile, rather than carpet floor, and a window shade. I don't have enough overnight guests to bother decorating it.

But for a shower? YUCK!! No wonder you had to do that...

BTW, the thing with the housing here started when prices were up to where ordinary people could never save adequate down payments, but could make the monthlies. They "creatively" got them loans for the down payments as well, and that actually worked okay if they stayed long term. I mean the whole putting people into houses thing. But then came the incentives Wall Street gave banks for writing more paper, which they turned into those terrible securities. None of which would have happened if the Reagan administration hadn't taken away the safeguards offered by the separation of thrifts and banks, and if anti-trust hadn't been ignored to the point where we have firms that are "too big to be allowed to fail." ARGGHHH!!!

My blood's starting to get hot. I'm going to go cool off...

o

No no Plllog, you're doing well-keep going. Here's a nice Mango Spritzer to keep you cool and refreshed.

o

Plllog-Will you stop being so wise? Otherwise we're gonna be on Colorful Mexican Bathrooms real soon :)

Hmmmm. (clouds of thought flowing out of man's head)

I know, I need a Kitchen first don't I?

Is that where "You have to learn to walk before you run" comes from?

See what you've started Steff. It's contagious!

o

Solly keeps trying to poison me!!! ALLERGIC to mangoes!!

What about that pretty zen Asian bathroom? I don't think you can do a Mexican bathroom and a Mexican kitchen.

BUT, if the pottery can't make you matching yellow tiles, you could get all new ones, and put your yellows toward the shower. Just pick a different theme. The yellow would look good for a Serengeti themed bathroom...

o
Sigh;;;; Now What?

ALLERGIC to mangoes!!

WHAT! That's Your's Truly's absolute fav fruit. I believe it's even against the law not to like Mangoes.

Wait a sec. Not as bad as it sounds. Means every time we buy a box, there'll be no fighting over them. I'll just feed you Raspberries.

Stef- can you find us a good Kinesiologist in S.A please. I need to shed the Cat/Dog allergy and mademoiselle needs to shake this silly Mango nonsense before we get to France.

Say Stef. It's May and you live right on the border so you must have a bonanza for Mango buying. It's the start of Mexican Mango season. Fiesta?

o
Dreams Are Dangerous!

What about that pretty zen Asian bathroom? I don't think you can do a Mexican bathroom and a Mexican kitchen.

Ooooo. Zen. Asian. That gave me a nice little tickle. Agree, the world is too big and diverse to dedicate an entire house to one culture.

True story. Thinking ahead, I thought after the Mexican Kitchen, I want Asian. Wonder where that came from? I wish you'd just give me your's; like you agreed to last X-Mas.

o

I thought a kinesiologist dealt with the science of movement. Allergists are the ones who try to cure allergies, but the success is only moderate. I'm allergic to coconut too.

Yes, please, I'll take the raspberries. Can I have the yellow ones?

I never agreed to give you my anything! I agreed to sell you my kitchen for quadruple its worth :) I mean, at a certain point everyone has a price. Re Asian, I was talking about the bathroom you already have that Ms. Wonderful decorated. You're not re-decorating it, are you? It's so pretty!

o

Ohhhh. I see. You mean the Bathroom's sort of already decorated and Asain.
But the sink is Talavera!

Well, the Green elephant is no mistake Chinese and I still get a laugh out of the REAL Opium Poppies from Asia on the wall. People walking in think they're just pretty dried flowers. Little do they know they're the seeds of my, soon to be, new Business Empire!

Listen we have pay for that Chateau somehow ya know.

o
Montreal Canadiens

Whoops, I shouldn't be here!

I'm Canadian. And it's Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the lone Canadian team still alive. So, I should be down there in front of the tube. Remember those? Big heavy glass things.

o

Oh, poor Canadiens. They've never won a Stanley Cup or nuttin'. [HEE] Yes, Solly, you must contribute to the Canadian victory in all ice sports.

o

Wow.

That's 2 down, as in the top 2 teams in the NHL that Montreal just knocked out.

Looks like they better prepare to store the Stanley Cup in Montreal this summer. This is no fluke.

Poor Sidney.

o

Hockey? In May?

Mangoes. The Ataulfo Mangoes are 3 for $1 now. At that price it's easy to keep them around. No food allergies here. Not sure if being close to Mexico makes much difference in price and availability as they are mostly grown on the Pacific coast. Love Mango ice cream and smoothies.

Aaah, the Asian spa look. Bamboo cabinets and mats, simple bench, porcelain tile, soothing color.

o

Please don't Steff-You'll have me shopping Bamboo and incense in the morning.

o
Hint...

It's 10 inches long.

o
Ataulfo Mango Update

Present price in Canada is $1.00 each!

Stef no wonder the Canadian Snowbirds run to Texas. Speaking of, you may have seen them coming back last weekend when it was a frigid 2C with 70km/h winds here. How's that for a Spring welcome? :(

So far a dismal, gloomy May. Poor Plllog would have fainted by now.

o
Today's Bedtime Treat

152637-34bea79af718f2__TMH7746_500

iPhone 4G has a totally new design in comparing with previous generations of iPhone. Not only looking stronger (aluminum and glass) when holding in your hand, you will be surprise to think that it was put together by several separate parts because it feels like a solid block. Because of the square/block design, it feels a little uncomfortable in your hand in comparing with the previous generation of iPhone. You can feel the sharp edges come in contact with your hand.

There is no longer a metal bezel on the front, only a black surface. The back design is also the same, a single piece of glass convering all the Logo, camera, flash, and other information...look very classy. We can see that the front and back are pieces of glass that were attached to the aluminum frame. When looking at another angel, people will see that aluminum frame was brilliantly made; a lot of attention to the details, thing like speakers, earphone, mic.... Beside the only home button in the front, there is another small camera right on the left of the speaker, under the glass surface.

The 4 edges contain the same buttons with the same functions as the previous iPhones. The volume buttons are now separate and are round. Next to the headphone plug and power button, there a small hole, which looks like a mic's hole. It's possible that this is the noice canceling mic. The SIM card has been moved to the right side, like on the iPad.

Dimension: iPhone 4G is thinner than the previous iPhones (about 2.5mm), the width is also narrower, about 3.5mm (this is because of the aluminum frame), the height is about 1mm higher. These changes have made the new iPhone looks longer or higher.

When turning on the iPhone, only the inferno screen is showed and some information that look like command lines. Perhap this screen showed up not because of Apple remotely locked the machine but the phone is locked locally after a time interval without the user entering a certain code.

o

You have 10" mangoes for a buck?

o

SIGH::: Man slaps own forehead and closes his eyes with bewilderment.

Answer: Not quite - Try again

o

Solly, if you weren't talking about the mangoes you were saying something very naughty, and you shouldn't oughta do that!

o
More Hints...

No not naughty. Hints. Good helpful hints.

It's 7 inches wide.

Weighs 3 lbs.

o

The sky is ....

o

Sol, it was naughty and you know it!!!

We were talking about mangoes and here you are still harping on your Air.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solly gone all ST in the Aer

o
Ewwww

Aerosmith? Aerosmith? LOL!!!

But I thought only girls are naughty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remember Solly's a Mod

o

Huh? You were the one talking about your 10" Air!

o
Guess Who's Winning So Far?

No. I'm giving good, actual clues.

Clever Steff will be swooping in soon, I can feel it.

o

What are we talking about?

Not your new macbook?

o

With your weather the sky might be gray. Ours is blue.

Jet Blue, but then the planes are longer than 10".

The new Macbook smallest version is 12" so that's not it.

Hmmm

o

Oh Oh. the girls are circling the skies now. Things are heating up.

Dare we give another hint?

;;;;;;;; We now pause for this brief commercial break.

o
Present For The Artista

Silly Chinese!

Haven't they learned to build houses right side up yet?

4602030605_8c6ff81588_b

China Pavilion, 2010 World Expo, Shanghai

o
Present For Steff!

5DDFFA64B9EA45E3A464FBBF0D20531A-1

o

Pretty butterfly.

The Chinese seem to be borrowing from an American again, William Pereira.

library

o

Hint....

"X"

o
introducing the new macbook sol!

A revolutionary and magical product not from Apple-but from SOL!

Utilizing the world's best Operating System, OSX Snow Leopard, the new MacBook SOL gives you the convenience of an iPad with the panache of a Mac in a colorful and compact package, all for the lowly price of a Window's Netbook!

160 GB HD
1 GB RAM
Intel Atom processor
Wireless G
LED Backlit Display
Built in Card Reader
3 hour Battery

Price $250.00!!!!!!

Order your's TODAY from Solly's Hackintosh Online store.

DSCF9200

DSCF9184

DSCF9183

o
Letter To Mr. Jobs

Oh Stevie Oh Stevie
How I worship thee

But please forgive me
For making something o so wee

But I promise to still follow thee
Eternally.

Solly

o
Oh Yeah

Correction:

That's 10 inch "LED Backlit Display" (HEE HEE)

o
Oh was that close or what!

Jet Blue, but then the planes are longer than 10".
The new Macbook smallest version is 12" so that's not it.
Hmmm

Well done Steff.

o

That's a nice gift to yourself. You get major points for resisting the early adopter urge for the iPad.

Nice butterfly too.

o
The Clever Dolphin...

What are we talking about?
Not your new macbook?

Oh so close she was.

o

Steff-You like it huh? It's cute and cheap and the only way to have a small Mac that will let me use my Accounting program. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to the screen quality and fun of the iPad.

Maybe Plllog will feel sorry for me and let me still get the iPad for fun and this MacBook SOL for work. But then the hassle of traveling with 2 devices :(

Now what?

o
Interesting

I'm not a medical professional but for what it's worth, even back a few weeks before the initial (WiFi) iPad release, I read an article where someone had done a poll of doctors and something like 70-something percent were considering getting iPads and around 30% were already convinced they were going to be buying iPads. Mind you, this is before it was even released.

Then there was an article I saw much more recently where some hospital (California maybe?) was going to be buying iPads for all of the doctors on their entire staff.

So clearly there is something about the iPad that has gotten the medical community interested. What exactly that "something" is, I don't know. Whether you can get that "something" on an iPhone as easily as an iPad, I don't know.

o

A small screen like the iPhone would less reliable when dealing with medical issues. You want the doctor to be as accurate as possible and not have any problem reading or entering information.

o

Steff- BTW glad you liked the Butterfly shot. I had just recently read that currently in Central Texas there is a lot of butterflies. I really love them and the Monarchs usually show up in my garden in about June-July. Poor guys, amazing that they can fly all the way from Mexico to Canada-FREE!

o

We live in a migration corridor for both butterflies and birds. I haven't seen that many yet this year compared to other years. It's been a cool spring and the plants they like are slow to grow. California also has a great monarch migration. They estimate that billions of butterflies pass through the city each year. There are organizations of volunteers who document sightings to keep track.

o

Yes, we have protected groves for the monarchs. When they're there you can't see the trees for the butterflies.

Solly, I'm glad you're happy with your new toy. I didn't even know they made knockoff macbooks.

Re medical use of ipads, there are a huge slew of apps for med students and doctors that had already saturated. I think some gizmo freaks are looking at central electronic charting and similar kinds of cost cutting. They're going to have to really improve the safeguards to make it a good idea though. It's way too easy to type the wrong thing into a computer, especially one which guesses your meaning.

o

I didn't even know they made knockoff MacBooks.

No SILLY! They don't make knockoff Macbooks, I made the hacked MacBook.

Hence the name Hackintosh- MacBook SOL. That's why I was like a silent mouse last week, because the Hack operation drained all my spare time. Actually I couldn't even come out to play because all the computers were tied up in data transfer :;;;;;; SIGH.

I must say I'm quite tickled by the whole operation in creating my own computer, 100% legally! I bought the Snow Leopard OSX operating system and installed it on my "own" computer. My first shot in the world of computer hacking. This Dell Netbook naturally came with that thing called, Windows, and it meant wiping that out and reformatting the codes to accept Mac OSX.

Now as a Mac guy, we always cherish both the quality and reliability of Apple Hardware/software. When I got the first Dell, it worked for 4 hours and then DEAD. So, I took it back and got a replacement. But what a story, the first ever "PC Windows" product that I ever purchased in my lifetime was a dud. Further instilling why I will always be a Mac guy. For the record, I have never owned or used a Windows PC (outside of Internet Cafes) in my lifetime!

Yes this was fun, but I actually and truly did need a Mini Travel solution for my business. The 13" Macbook is $1,000. This is a steal @$250! I just pray that it doesn't die like a dud as it seems that "PC's" are not made to anywhere near the quality of Apple. Maybe that's also why they're cheaper.

o
Toy! This Thing's Gonna Make Me Work :(

Solly, I'm glad you're happy with your new toy.

But it's only fair;;;;; SNIFF SNIFF. You got your new Le Creusets, Missy got her Cherries, and Steff got her cool new shower, so I felt left out!

o

I say I'm happy for you and you get all whiny?

All becomes clear now. I couldn't understand why you bought the macbook so long ago but were just debuting it. The clouds part and the light dawns. Don't call it SOL, though. That's probably what made the first housing cock up its toes and die. "Sol" would be okay, as in costa del, but not "SOL"--look it up. I just thought it was an Air because I thought that was what you needed. I don't understand why that one wouldn't run both your operating system and your accounting software. Why did you need to buy a Dell?

o

LOL!! "Cock up it's toes and die" Hilarious indeed.

Yes I love the Air but it's big bucks $$ and I know you'll never let me get it when you see the price tag. And yes the Air would run everything.

I bought the Dell because it was el cheapo and seemed like a neat challenge to hack something.

It's still good since I can leave the Dell Hackintosh to a worker (who certainly doesn't deserve an Air or MacBook Pro) that is managing the biz while we're all in France with Steff and Missy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Getting Me The Air For My Treat!

o
In Case You See

Amy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Message

o

Oh!! Okay, I get it. The problem with travelling with a 3 lb. computer is that it walks away so easily. I used to travel with a first generation notebook, and it was a mess of wires what with the equal sized cd drive with speakers (a truly wonderful peripheral in its day), the wee printer or the less wee ink jet printer, the hand scanner, etc. That setup was truly excellent but not tempting to thieves.

And the fun new toy thing makes sense too. Just with all the teasing I just figured it had to be a sleek new Air.

Amy? In the morning? The oatmeal is too sweet...

o

The Strippers just arrived! What will the neighbors say about all this Erotica?

Steff-I hope you have a good progress day with the Bathroom? Have you picked out the actual shower yet?

Plllog-I'll have you know that's 4 places I've been to all over LA today for your Yellow Raspberries. ;;;;Sheeze

o

Well, if you'd started at Gelson's....

o

NOW you tell me?

How's LA and S.A. today? It's frigid here!

My Stripper just asked me if I had some extra clothing. It's that cold. MMAY. Brrr.

Don't laugh,

Missy had snow
Just a week ago

o
RE: Ta daa!

Photobucket

o

Steff? Is that the hole in your shower with tape over it? Otherwise, what?

Solman, I never laugh about cold. We have "May Gray". Not cold though chillier than the temperature would make you think. Just dismal.

o

Steff-I'm stumped. What is it?

o

I see I need to find a better background.

That's a mosaic tile with paper on the back. It's interlocking strips of tile similar to a ledger stone only in ceramic.

o
Fingers Crossed

May Gray? Last year Canada had an entire dismal Summer.

I really hope not for an encore.

o
Keeping Our Fingers Crossed

May Gray? Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's a Continent wide disease.

Last year Canada's entire Summer was dismal.

o
Keeping Our Fingers Crossed---

o

Sol, was this some new kind of repeating poetry?

Steff, I think it's nice looking, but isn't it kind of dark? Are you sure you want tile that can be mistaken for gaffer's tape?

o
Keeping Our Fingers Crossed---

o

Oh- The submit button kept saying server error.

But yeah, could be the new writing style of this decade.

Repeating Poetry.

o
HOT News!

With special photo coming up in moments.

Hint.... Sweet!

o
The Bee Crusader

During the past few days I had literally a thousand bees swarming in and out of a huge tree on my front lawn. The City looked at it yesterday confirming the nest of Honey Bees.

So today, I was surprised to see them on a low bush, on the ground, close by to the tree. My worker concluded that due to the frigid temps, they are all huddled together to keep warm and stay away from the cold winds that would be higher in the tree. That is so sweet. Nature really teaches us so much about behavior, respect, unifying etc. And to actually witness over 1,000 individual souls all working toward a common goal is so touching. Man must learn from such an example.

The story gets better! Upon discovering the bees this afternoon, my grumpy, cynical, bigoted, 80 year neighbor came out with some bug killing poison and approached the bush. Suddenly he was greeted by both mine and my worker's angry Robert De Nero stares, not to even THINK of killing these innocent loving souls. He retreated wisely and enabled this lovely photo.

It may not look like many but they are about 10 layers deep. I feel sorry for the guys on the first layer :)

Enjoy!

DSCF8658

o

So this is how I spend my Saturday night? Here's a better picture.

Shower tile

o
RE: That's an amazing photo!

Really beautiful! Amazing to see that many bees outside a hive and in your own front yard too. Very impressive photo.

o

Steff the stone has nice varying tones. I like it. Good varying of grout lines and sizes like Plllog did.

o

MUCH better picture Steff. Very pretty. Doesn't look like gaffer's tape at all, does it? :) Is that for the shower?

o

Oh, yeah. Great picture, Sol.

'Course, bees have a hive mentality. They're not really individuals as you state it. But it's a great picture. And a great thing that you were able to save them from the poisoner.

o

Those tiles will be either

(a) entirely on one wall of the shower

or

(b) a wide accent around all the shower walls.

I need to see what else is out there for the floor and other walls. Those were on sale so don't have enough to do the whole shower. I'm thinking a large oblong tile set on the vertical would work. Tile is definitely one advantage of living here. Plenty of options so you can mix it up a bit.

o

Oooh! These would look great as vertical accent stripes with your vertical oblongs! If you space them irregularly you could get a forest shadow effect.

o

That's a good idea, plllog. The tiles are just cut tiles on a mosaic backing so I already planned on taking them apart and mixing with pieces cut from the (tbd) field tiles and even other similar tiles. I'm considering flat pebble or broken tile mosaic for the floor.

o

Outside examining the bees. Today they're happy and warm from the sun but they're still on the bush by the ground. I'm so fascinated by them. I'd like to start naming them before I tame them.

Plllog, do you think they'd let us take them on the plane to France?

Steff-you've got a good eye for design stuff.

o

No. There are very strict laws about the transport of insects.

o

Thanks, Solly. Design is what I do, but it's nice to hear a compliment any time.

No beez pleez.

o

Steff- My dream shower floor is real pebble stone. It was in one of my Hotel bathrooms in Asia and because of it, I checked into that Hotel!

PLEASE do the pebble floor. It's stunning and so connecting to nature.

I'm crying that this does not fit my neo angle shower otherwise I would order it immediately! My shower is 30 x 30 x 20 inches :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Look At This!

o
I Just Figured It Out

Steff, Plllog- If I can milk these cute buggers in the tree for 227,500 bottles of Honey, the French Chateau would be paid for-mortgage free!

o
The Sunbathing Bees

OK just took this shot moments ago in my T-shirt while I had quite the swarm around me. They were rather curious why I was poking so close to the bush. But last night, they didn't make a peep when I was in front of them. They were too cold to be inquisitive.

DSCF8665

o

Say, I think Missy will be dropping by any moment now with a nice photo of some cute Cherries for us.

Missy?

o

The pebble floor is the current front runner. DH likes the idea, but wants to test them before making the commitment. We'll also install a pebble tile mat in the floor outside the shower.

Is the problem that the mat is too small? I've seen them and they are pretty flexible so they could be cut to fit.

Another amazing bee photo and very brave. As long as you don't seem a threat to them you're okay. Please call a beekeeper to harvest the honey.

o

Steff I REALLY want that mat. Now do you think it could really be cut? Even with all those stones glued to it?

The Link is an example of the shape and dimensions of my shower. At one point I thought about a Teak shower base and then pebbles on top of the teak. But pebbles have always been my goal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo Angle example

o

Solly, you linked to the teak shower base site. Those are nice too. Did you want to show the Neo Angle shower with dimensions? I like the teak wood bases and could do that for the guest room which we are now using as our main shower. The little shower seat is really nice and I might add something like that when we redo our shower.

For the mat, you might have to cut around the stones and rework it somewhat. That one may not be intended to use inside the shower anyway. The mat I saw, the stones were glued on and easy to remove and move around.

You could get bathtub mats and add the pebbles from a beach vacation or tile shop. We'd have to research the glue to see what works.

o

You can get the pebbles on 12"x12" mesh (meant for grouting), where you're meant to pull the edge ones off and reposition them to make a tight fit. You could make your own mat.

o

Yeah. In fact I saw one of these pebbled mats, glued pebbles to rubber, at Marshall's a few weeks ago and almost bought it but it had some stones missing and it discouraged me.

What do you like better- glued pebbles on rubber vs the Teak insert?

o

Yeah. In fact I saw one of these pebbled mats, glued pebbles to rubber, at Marshall's a few weeks ago and almost bought it but it had some stones missing and it discouraged me.

What do you like better- glued pebbles on rubber vs the Teak insert?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here