Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Anyone else have a great week?

rococogurl
18 years ago

This was a stressful week but a great one.

First of all, my classes are ending and after 2 years I filed for certification as an interior designer. It should be effective by August. I began my professional activities earlier this year but hope to be in full swing designing kitchens and ordering fabric and doing curtains by fall!

Then today, this total non-gardener installed a 125 foot drip watering system in 6 hours. Some of you may remember my awful struggle with the landscaping in the front of my house last fall after I received an insane quote from a landscaper ($8500!). To date the entire job has been done to my satisfaction for less than a quarter of that.

The drip system is genius and my yard hand was thrilled to learn how to put one in since he can get paid nicely for doing it elsewhere.

Now everyone please keep fingers crossed that the dang deer don't eat the hydrangeas (yes, I'm spraying but never totally trust).

Anyone else have a great week full of accomplishment? Hope so and if you did (or even if you didn't and need a boost) do share.

It's so nice to have positive things in addition to the inevitable problems.

Comments (40)

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

Good to hear about a good and productive week- congrats on your enterprising DIY and three cheers for our new interior designer!!!

Had a long visit from my parents and I kept my mouth shut, cleared my schedule and acquiesced to everything they wanted to do and was patient with them even when their ordering from a menu seemed to require more contemplation than the selection of a new pope. And my blood pressure didn't skyrocket--that's a good week this week!

• paulines
    18 years ago

rococogurl, how thrilling!!! ~ a (((big hug))) to you and wishes of much success & satisfaction as a KD! I have no doubt that we will be seeing your work in magazines & publications (my mouth to G-d's ears).

Congrats, as well, on your DIY drip system ~ sounds like a pretty cool thing! BTW ~ what's does your schedule look like as far as making it to Brimfield?

pecanpie, lol, too funny. When we'd visit my dear grandparents in FL, lunch conversation revolved around where we would be dining for supper ~ gotta be there by 5:00 you know.

DD is going to prom and we did manage to get her dress and handbag. Shoes are another story as the child has size 11w canoes. Finally found a store that has the size in dyeables (called around everywhere), going over there today.

We got our LR & hallway painted (WHITE ~ thread & pictures over at Decorating, if anyone wants to comment btw), & we hope to get some yard work done this weekend.

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

roc, congrats on finishing and becoming an ID; I had a fabulous week also, I thought of you a few times since I was in NYC for 4 days visiting DD, she is graduating in a week from NYU- I so love the Union Square area; we had manicures and hung out , walked everywhere, I finally got to the MOMA, and I found a black summer skirt I was so longing to have, and so on and so forth.
    I had 2 days by myself and 2 days with her, so it worked out fine.
    Yesterday, we picked up salads at whole foods and ate in the park steps.

I'm looking forward to resuming my work routine, going away is so fun.
    I'm actually at Laguardia right now waiting at my gate; I could not resist buying an 8$ wifi connection, a new thing offered there.

Yes, I had a great week !!

• paigect
    18 years ago

Congratulations Rococogurl! You have worked very hard for this, you must so proud and yet so relieved that it's over!
    And we have all benefitted from the fruits of your labor, so I will add a "thank you" as well.

pecan, you made me laugh. Thanks to you as well.

Paulines, do dish on the prom dress. Sadly, with only a DS, I have to live vicariously through others when it comes to the girl glam stuff.

and mitch, your visit with DD sounds wonderful. You had great weather for it, too.

I can't say I had a great week, but I like reading others' good news. Today I am preparing for a party for DS' 11th birthday. I will be spending the evening at the local laser-tag facility with a gaggle of "tween" boys. DS is insisting on a boxed vanilla cake with packaged vanilla frosting, since he likes this better than homemade. Yuck! And he wants me to put a design of a heart-shaped grenade on the top, from Green Day's American Idiot album. The cake will be red, black and white. Sigh. Not quite as much fun as preparing for prom, Paulines! I guess he's right-on-target with his constant reminders that he's "almost a teenager."

• sweeby
    18 years ago

Congratulations on the great week Rococo! That's a lot of accomplishment for one week -- no wonder you're charged. Please post all this on the Mojo thread also, since this is right up our alley!

Had to laugh Paige, since I'm constantly hearing the exact same "almost a teenager" talk from my 10-year old DS. Amazing how they identify...

• blsdgal
    18 years ago

I had a great day yesterday. Can I brag a little?

DD got her ACT scores back. She got a 29. The first time she took it, she got a 23. She studied like heck, took a review course, retook it and got a 29.

I don't care what she gets, because I know how smart she is, but she felt so defeated when she got the 23.

Don't you love it when your kids accomplish something that makes them feel so good. Nothing more heartbreaking than one of your kids being heartbroken.

• blsdgal
    18 years ago

Oh my rococogurl--how rude of me.

Congratulations on finishing your coursework. How exciting!

Now how about some free decorating advice for all of us :-)

• paulines
    18 years ago

Oh Paige, you're welcome to 'borrow' her anytime for girl glam stuff-lol I started another thread for 'Good News' and I'll be more than happy to fill you in on prom details!

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Good news and congratulations on having a great week! We need those once in a while, don't we? Also, on getting your drip irrigation done; that's big! It's so nice not to have to water everything by hand. (We get a workout keeping ours repaired, from the chipmunks who like to chew through the tubing.) Now, you'll soon be dealing with the general public, another learning experience completely! Savor the moment, it's good!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

pecan -- sounds like you were sainted daughter this week. Brava!

Paulines -- I so want to come to Brimfield but we need to go to Washington for DH's business on Wed and it's too much for me to do both. So I plan to come in the fall instead. Bummer but only temporarily.

Blsdgal- no problem but you'll understand if I get busy with paying customers LOL! (as Paulines says, from my mouth...)

Mitch-- Congrats on the graduation. Will she say on or go home? Sounds like you had a great time here and I'm so glad. It's a great neighborhood and such fund just to hang around. Trust you found the great discount shoe stores on 14th St.

• pirula
    18 years ago

YAY JANE!! That is so terrific about finishing school. Congratulations!!!!!

I actually had a lousy week, but I had a great weekend! I walked 39 miles for breast cancer. I actually DID it. It was a beautiful weekend and the walk was through some of the most beautiful parks and neighborhoods in the DC area. I slept in a tent (we'll ignore that part) and I can't move today. But it was great!

Congrats again! Can I hire you?? ;)

Ivette

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

YAY Ivette! 39 miles- what a haul- and for such a good cause!

• mtnester
    18 years ago

Ivette, I can hardly believe it--39 miles?? Even when I lost weight 10 years ago and was as fit as I've ever been in my life (regularly walking a mile and a half every day), a 5-mile walk for AIDS research just about wore me out, and I was limping to the finish line. I can't IMAGINE going 39 miles! Amazing! And so impressive! Congratulations!

Sue

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

thanks roc; she's coming home in June-

I did see the shoe stores but found nothing, I did find a fabulous black summer skirt at Saks ( I'm not easy to fit in skirts) not on sale of course but the kind of must have item you just pull out your visa card for.

You'll be a fabulous designer, your clients will love you.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ivette -- congrats on the great walk! That's a huge accomplishment and a great way to put the ol metabolism in overdrive.

And you can hire me -- SO cheap!

Thanks mitch

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Had a great weekEND!! Does that count? Fished my first tourney of the year on sunday (that's why I was kinda scarce yesterday) and came in 4th out of 25 with lunker largemouth for the day!! It was only a club tourney, so that only won me 45.00, but it was still a great way to start off the season!! (Paid my entry fee and gas to get there, anyway!)

• sawmill
    17 years ago

Rococco Girl:

Outstanding! Congratulation on your dedicated drive to complete your certification! You'll be awesome as a designer. Woohoo!

Ivette: Congratulations on your endurance as a crusader against breast cancer. Oh, your aching feet & back! But nice to be out under the stars after living in the basement for months, I bet.

• pirula
    17 years ago

THanks everyone!! It did feel good to finish I have to say. Howeva: it appears that I am a complete idiot. I pretty much hobbled the last nine miles on day one and the last five on day two. I thought it was just a really bad shin split. Turns out I have a tibial stress fracture! OMG!!! I was very naughty to keep walking but what did I know???? I've never done anything like this before. So, now I'm laid up for a couple of days to keep the fracture from becoming a serious break. It is WAY better today, I could hardly move yesterday. What a dope. LOL!!!

Oh well, it was still all worth it. And I get to stay home and veg and watch Pride and Prejudice over and over, and drink tea, and reading decorating books, and sit outside in my beautiful wooded garden (and I have an excuse NOT to have to paint windows or sand counters or whatever). Hey! Maybe I'm not such a dope afterall!!

Ivette

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why Ivette, you are simply channeling Edith Wharton!

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Ivette, how could you keep going with all that pain? Guess it was a case of "mind over matter." Your dedication is extraordinary!

p.s. In case you didn't look back at the screen name thread, I wrote a little about the possible derivation of "Pirula."

Sue

• pirula
    17 years ago

LOL Jane!!

Sue: I was popping Advil every two miles. WHAT an idiot!!

Off to see what you wrote on names!

Ivette

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

I had a wonderful day yesterday.

DS came home for some R&R before finals week. He is finishing his first year of college. Before he left Sunday afternoon he sat me down, looked me in the eye and thanked me for being a good parent to him. He appreciated that we were consistent, didn't care about what 'other parents did' and didn't try to be his friend. He never had any question about what was expected of him, nor any doubt that we would let him face the consequences of his actions. He said he was thanking me because he thought that had a lot to do with his success in school and his ability to handle the freedom of college.

Then he gave me a man-cub bear hug and drove off.

It was a wonderful day.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awwww pecanpie. You got an early Mother's Day present! Just lovely.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

oy pecan, now that's a consummation devoutly to be wish'd...what a *serious* warm fuzzy!

Now just hope that it isn't a prelude to him coming home with a 2.0 (JUST KIDDING :))

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

very nice, pecan, he's a great kid !!

I'm back in new york city, leaving this afternoon; we went to dd's grad ceremony at Radio City, so she's officially done !! she has an msa at nyu.
    We're looking forward to NOT writing those tuition cheques anymore, lol......

We ate at Gramercy Tavern and Union Square cafe, Gramercy was my favorite,
    the decor is lovely, even in the bathroom; I should have taken pictures !!

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

fly, lol! If that had come from DivaD1, I wouldn't have been surprised to have a fender-bender confession followup.

mitchdesj, congrats on your daughter's degree and your freedom from tuition bondage! DivaD1 graduates this weekend with a BBA and a minor in art history and is interviewing in your neck of the woods. Will your DD stay in NY?

Jane, if she ends up in Manhattan, you may hear from me!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mitch -- Gramercy is one of our faves as well. You clearly have good taste! Hope you'll still come visit even though your dd is coming back and congrats again.

Beth, it's always great to hear from you. Don't even hesitate for a second.

• msazadi
    17 years ago

(Coming over from Cooking to say hello...)

Congratulations Jane....well done grl!! Now why don't you come south and let us be your test cases, see if you can get along with ....strange... potential clients!!! ;-)

Otherwise, my week was not so hot as those here but that's just one of the downswings of life's cycles. Maureen

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maureen -- truth or dare? I bring good cake! LOL.

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Jane...for you darlin' I'd clean up the spare room - except we don't have one now. Remember last summer...possibly...my talking about permit %#$* from the city over our new furnace? Well, it worked well all winter, but still no permit approval and we can't get anyone to pull the permit for us. Most of our 2nd floor level work stopped because we don't want to put in new vents till the furnace is permit free and clear.

But seriously, come down sometime and see what life is like south of the mason-dixon. If you gave me a week or so notice I could have that room sleepable and functional just rather spare. I'm sure Ivette needs help too!!!

Maureen who is now a semi-decent cake baker but still a MLC virgin. (That's a long standing "Cooking" subject.)

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Jane, I was going to email you...send me one and I'll reply. Maureen

• pirula
    17 years ago

Now just a cotton pickin minute!!

If Jane comes to visit Ms. Azadi, she simply MUST visit me too! Humph!

tug of war!!!

:)
    Ivette

P.S. Maureen! I've missed you! Have you heard from Pamela? I've sent her some emails but no response and I'm worried about her!

• gfiliberto
    17 years ago

Good news here, too!
    My daughter got engaged last weekend!
    We spent the weekend in the city celebrating with them.
    My son got engaged in February, so this is Wedding Central!

We're planning two weddings in the next year.
    Stressful, but good stress!

• pirula
    17 years ago

Oh YAY!! Congrats arteacher! (I just love weddings)

How romantic!
    Ivette

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

artteacher, this will be a year to remember- how much fun!!

Congratulations to your son and best wishes to your daughter!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

artteacher, congrats! My DSD got married 2 years ago. It was just terrific and you have a double helping. Just think, you can shop for both dresses at the same time! LOL.

Maureen, I don't want to invite myself and cause you any stress. We just started having guests (finally enough furniture) and I'm so exhausted when they leave I wonder why I invited them and always think I'd never do it again. So I always hesitate to do it to someone else (my DH complains about the cleaning up before hand).

I had no idea you were a molten lava virgin. We can fix that. It's all about the egg whites. I have the Vongerichten recipe somewhere (he invented the dang thing though some people think Sol did)

In fact we Just got back from D.C. today -- down with DH on business overnight. But he won't go to museums or houses so I was wondering if anyone had a hankering to go to National Gallery to see the furniture and to Wintherthur. Maybe we could do a mini meet up/excursion though I fear Ivette will land in the hospital if she has one more thing on her plate.

Didn't Pamela have some family illness? I seem to remember that. Could be why she's MIA.

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Ivette, I was sure you'd be involved if Jane came south.

Seriously, email me esp if you plan to be in the DC area in the next couple of months. My summer is fairly free right now until Canny Camp (cooking forum 'boot camp').

Thanks for the reminder to try and contact Pamela.

Maureen

• gfiliberto
    17 years ago

Thanks All!
    I'm having both sets of new "in-laws" here for Mother's Day, so I'm stressed. They've never been to my home, and they've never met each other. It should be fine.

The kids are in love, and that's what counts!...
    as long as my food comes out OK and my house looks nice, and...I hope after tomorrow I can say THIS was a "great week".

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maureen, will do. Right now Ivette has way more to think about than a visit. She needs to rest.

Artteacher -- just have fun tomorrow. You're a sweetie and the outlaws (what we call them in our family) will be fine. I hope yours are as nice as ours.

And Happy Mother's Day all.

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Artteacher, Mazel Tov!! Hope you're having a wonderful and not too stressful day, getting to know your new famil(ies).

Maureen, Ivette, Rococogirl, although there's no search function in the Conversations, I found the "Ou est Pamela?" thread on page 7; in December, she said that both parents were failing, so I'm afraid that may explain her absence. If you contact her, please send along my best wishes, too!

Sue