Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnester_gw

Mojo - Part 2

mtnester
18 years ago

Let's keep this Mojo idea going! I'm glad to see that most of us are still committed to making some positive changes in our lives, whether that means losing weight, getting more exercise, establishing better habits, developing new interests, contributing more to society---whatever it takes to get the sense that we are in control of our lives and moving forward in a healthy, fulfilling direction.

After dropping a few pounds last week, I seem to have leveled off somewhat, even gaining back a pound and then fighting to lose it again. But I haven't had any binges, and I've been walking almost every day, so I won't beat myself up over it; if I continue on this path, I know the weight will come off, sooner or later. The only dietary "culprit" I can come up with is portion size: there are times when I've probably had too much at dinner (e.g., when one burger is not enough but two is too much). I hereby resolve to stop BEFORE I get too full. I'm going to save the leftover half-burger, or whatever, for the next day's lunch.

I'm also still trying to get a handle on the way I structure my time. I tend to take it easy for a couple hours and then get absorbed in research or a project. Suddenly, it's late afternoon, and I need to get outside for a walk; then I want to relax again before starting dinner. I think I would get more accomplished if I took the walk earlier in the day and then devoted the afternoon to my projects.

I've been investigating gyms and fitness centers. I'm bowled over by the cost! The best one (with medical guidance, excellent facilities, and activities appropriate for someone with a back problem) costs WAAAAY more than I can afford, especially since I'm not working now. I wish I had room for a recumbent bike at home, but there's no space for one. Do any gyms offer "limited" deals for using just one or two pieces of equipment? I'll make some calls next week.

Hope everybody is having a happy, successful weekend! Stay on track!

Sue

Comments (150)

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awm, I *know* that (and I preach it), but when you step on the scale, after working so hard to curb your temptations and push yourself out of your comfort zone, you want to see that your efforts are bearing fruit. Positive reinforcement is such a great motivator. (I suppose that negative reinforcement can motivate you to try harder, but it can also make you want to give up.)

Mojo update: late last night, I found a posting for a volunteer job editing a book in my area of interest (Jewish genealogy), and I sent off an application letter. I asked a lot of questions, and until I know the scope and timeframe of the project, I'm not sure whether I'll accept the position if it's offered to me. But it felt good to have the opportunity to use my skills again. I've been considering working at home as a freelancer (for pay, that is), and we could really use more income, so in a way, this volunteer job would be a detour from that plan. But it felt so RIGHT! And it would be interesting and challenging and would keep me from getting rusty. Wish me luck!

Sue

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

You guys I am just dumbfounded by this - it's a nice thing but really weird.

Today I'm figuring out what clothes to take on my business trip next week. Our normal office attire is very casual so I'm pulling out some business attire that is a notch up from my usual. What is really weird is that I have to try these clothes on to see if they still fit - how weird is that - I don't know if I've ever had to check my clothes before to see if they're too BIG. Some things are really too big to wear - including some relatively new, kind of expensive stuff. Where I used to not tuck tops in because I either wanted to cover myself up more or tucked in was too tight, now I'm tucking in to fill up the pants to try to keep them up and tucked in actually looks better!!

I have kept a few things that were too small previously and I'm wearing stuff that I never thought would fit again but now I'm wishing I'd kept more of it. Though buying some new things is fine too. I am really amazed at how much better I look after three months of regular exercise and better diet. I never thought I would look like this again. I think I might even look "thin" at least in my own perception.

Sorry to blather on and on.......but DH doesn't appreciate what a big deal this is.....though he has actually noticed and commented a few times. I wish I could "bottle" whatever it was that caused my epiphany so I could give it to others. I hope I will stick with this. I think I will because it has been very rewarding so far.

Thanks for listening.

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Wooo Hooo! Way to go Gibby! Isn't that a charge?

I remember when that happened after I lost weight the first time. When even your 'skinny' jeans now have a pleasantly baggy fit... I can't wait to get there again. My epiphany from that era was that when you're not fat, you don't have to worry about clothes that make you 'look fat' - because they just don't.

Congratulations!

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gibby, that is a thrilling feeling, isn't it? Congratulations and continued success!

When I lost weight 10 years ago, I went from size 18 to size 8. Along the way, I didn't want to invest in new clothes, so I was pinning the waistbands of pants and skirts for a while. I felt triumphant when that strategy no longer worked and I HAD to go shopping. It was well worth the expense of a new wardrobe!

I know what you mean about keeping your waistline hidden by the loose shape of your top or by a jacket or sweater. Sadly, I'm in this stage again now. Some of my small clothes still fit, but they show those bulges I'd rather not put on display. When I was thinner, NOT feeling the need to cover up was a great reward. Thanks for reminding me of that; it's extra incentive to stick to my program!

Sue

• awm03
    17 years ago

Wonderful, Gibby! Sure is a good feeling, isn't it?

re positive reinforcement: charts help...
    {{gwi:1546240}}

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Great update, Gibby!!! And with all your walking and ball-work, you likely are building more muscle mass. So the drop in pounds only tells part of the story - muscle weighs much more than fat. The tape measure (or the waistband), not the scale, captures your real progress.

Inspiring!!

• Neverdone
    17 years ago

Sue - Good luck with your new work opportunity! Hopefully it will be exactly the challenge you are looking for....and to be so closely tied to your interest in genealogy! I wish you ALL the best! Let us know what happens.

Gibby - congrats to you on your success. I remember the days when I was taking IN some of my work clothes...I guess I didn't enjoy it enough at the time! Not something you get to do very often in this life. Keep up the great work and have a good trip!

I feel like I am really stuck the past 1 1/2 weeks. The scale is stuck at 5 1/2 pounds and won't move....&$*@*#^! So irritating! But I need to keep moving forward because I have a long way to go and summer is knockin' on the door. Why is this such a rollercoaster of emotions? Okay, enough whining from me....have a great week everyone.

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Neverdone, thanks! I haven't heard anything yet, but it's only Monday. I may not be the most attractive candidate because I said, in my application letter, that I could give only 10-15 hours per week to this volunteer position, as I needed to reserve some time for remunerated work; possibly, that time limit will exclude me, but on the other hand, I don't want to fill up 40 hours a week with an ongoing volunteer project when I ought to be starting up a freelancing business in the next few months. So ... we'll see.

I know exactly where you're coming from with that frustration about the scale. I KNOW that slow weight loss leads to more long-term success, but, dammit, I want to see some dramatic results, NOW! This week, I need to change my closet to my summer clothes, so I'll be trying things on, to weed out the impossibles from the hopefuls. I know I'm still heavier than I was last summer, so I hope it won't be too depressing to find out how much doesn't fit any more. I'll have to psych myself up to think of it as motivation.

Awm, I was very impressed at seeing your chart, so I found DietPower on the web, read the introductory material, and signed up for the newsletters. They're well written and logical, and they don't seem too "hyped" (the only parts I didn't like were the sales and marketing aspects, but they're not really offensive). I'm hesitating, though, about actually purchasing and installing the program, mainly because I don't want to be so compulsive (and I know I would be) about weighing, measuring, and recording everything I eat. Do you find that recording your intake on the program takes only 5 minutes a day, as they claim? What about the time it takes to weigh/measure the ingredients while you're cooking (e.g., the things you shake on or dip in, when you never know the exact quantity)? Do you still weigh everything now, or do you get so accustomed that you can just eyeball the quantities? Do you recommend buying their food scale? And what happens if you skip recording for a couple of days? (After all, it's a tool for daily analysis of your intake/output, so it won't work as well for you if you don't use it regularly.) Also, how do you determine the date for reaching your target weight--how can you know in advance how long it will take (yet the trajectory of the graph is based on that)?

Sue

• awm03
    17 years ago

Hi mtnester,
    The DietPower newsletters: yes, they seem well-written & sensible. They lean toward peer-reviewed articles and keep an ear open to QuackWatch so dietary baloney is weeded out. I didn't subscribe to the newsletter, but I do enjoy their website.

Compulsion: that's a very good point, and IMO, would make or break using a diet software. You can try the 14 day free trial to see if you like using a nutrition tracker or whether it drives you nuts. Keep in mind that for the first couple of weeks, you'll be entering lots of data -- recipes, nutrition info from packages -- but it's a one-time chore, mostly. I like database work, so this aspect of the software-- entering data, analyzing the info, reading graphs & charts -- suits me fine. The data entry makes you *keenly* aware of what you're putting into your mouth: quality & quantity. But it also enables you to work in a chocolate treat every now and then without blowing your diet.

Time: Now that my most frequently eaten foods are entered, 5 minutes a day seems right. I tend to linger, though, looking at all the numbers, then I go to the DietPower forums & yak. I've been too lazy to enter in some of my regular foods as 1 meal item! For example, lately I've been enjoying 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup black beans, 2 T salsa, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, 1 cup shredded lettuce, & 1/4 green pepper for lunch. By now, I should have entered all those ingredients into the recipe section so I can record it as "1 serving Mex Food lunch" or something instead of entering the ingredients one by one. So that slows me down a bit. My routine is: make breakfast, go over to computer, log in breakfast & the day's lunch while eating breakfast, check my numbers, visit the forum, quit. When I come home from work, I enter in exercise, then see how many calories I can eat for dinner.

Measuring/weighing: DietPower doesn't sell scales anymore, btw. Most participants on their forums recommend using food scales. I bought one and am glad I did. I keep it and my stainless measuring cups out on the counter for easy access. I use them without thinking twice now, and actually kind of enjoy them (I like gadgets). When cooking, I measure calorie-laden things (meats, cheese, pasta, rice), but ultra-low calorie foods like zucchini, onions, peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach, just a rough estimate. Shake on/dip in things I do measure, because those add lots of calories. Shake on stuff usually has readily available calorie info & is easy to measure; dip-in stuff is more work to figure out.

Sales & marketing: I got emails from them during the trial time, but once I bought the product, I haven't heard from them at all. No spam, pop-ups or junk mail.

Daily weighing: I weigh daily, most of the forum participants do too. But many weigh just once a week (but log food daily) because they don't like seeing daily weight fluctuations. In such cases, DP assumes you're on track. If your weight is lower after a week, fine. If you're higher, DP will lower your daily calorie allotment until your next weigh in, then will adjust accordingly. It's pretty flexible. I missed 10 days for vacation, but after a week, everything's coming back on track.
    You do have the option at any time to set your daily calorie allotment to a fixed amount; many participants prefer that. I prefer to let mine float so the allotment is higher if I'm losing too quickly, or lower if I've plateaued. At any time you can reset the diet to new goals if you're losing faster or slower than planned.

Setting goals: It's up to you. The software will tell you if your goal as easy, manageable, difficult, or not advised. You pretty much know what's a do-able amount for you. One to two pounds a week is what Weight Watchers recommends. I'm working in 4-5 month stretches, 20 to 25 pounds at a time. The forum advisor said that's fine, but short term goals are less forgiving of bad patches, whereas a long term goal, a year, say, can absorb a few bumps along the way.

Trajectory: Besides daily weight, there are two lines on the graph: one is my Goal Weight (155 lbs. by Sept. 1); the other is the Projected Weight, which is an estimate of what I should weigh on my goal date if I keep losing at the current rate. Because I gained 2 lbs. over the vacation, the Projected Weight is a bit high. Usually it's nearer the Goal Weight. I've lost the extra lbs. already, so the Projected Weight will move in line with the Goal Weight soon. Hope that explains the trajectory somewhat.

Bottom line: Is it a PITA? I don't think so, you might. Is it more work? Yes, but I'm sick of looking like a cow, so the extra 5 to 30 minutes computer work is the trade-off. Is it compulsive? Yes, in the sense that one must give up mindless eating and think hard about what you're putting into your mouth. But mindless eating was what made me put on 80 pounds in the first place. It had to end. The new eating habits are starting to feel comfortable & familiar now after 4 months.

Oh my, this is so very long -- apologies! Hope I've answered all your questions.

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awm, you did a GREAT job of explaining everything and answering all my questions! I think I understand the DP system a lot better now. I won't respond point by point, except to note that the daily weighing (and, for me, recording weight and exercise in a notebook) is something that works well for me, too. In the years when I was gaining weight, I didn't even look at the scale; I just gave up. Now, keeping a close watch is the way for me to stay on track, and it's a daily motivator as well.

I think the DP system would work for me; I could probably handle the measuring and recording, especially if, as you said, I took the trouble to enter certain recipes or to estimate things like veggies in a stir-fry.

I'll have to give it a bit more thought, but thanks very much for taking the time to go into such detail about how it works for you. And congratulations for losing those Italian pounds so quickly!

Sue

• awm03
    17 years ago

thanks Sue for your nice reply. There are lots of software & websites on the market that do the same thing as DP. Most have free trials so you can give 'em a whirl.

This article on the web about weight management is, conceptually, pretty much the same as using a diet tracker but with pencil & paper. It's a little technical at first, but the ideas are well put.

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awm, thanks for the link to that article. The author's philosophy with regard to gradual, "low-impact" weight loss is well stated, but I think he is too vague on HOW the patient achieves results. It's not a weight loss plan, just a tracking method/motivational tool. (In contrast, the DietPower tool provides a great deal of nutritional feedback and takes into account factors such as changing metabolic rate.) Many years ago, I tried charting my weight on graph paper (although I didn't include a trajectory line for the targeted weight loss); it was interesting for a while, but I guess I got tired of doing it. Simply recording my weight in a notebook was enough for me.

The best thing I got from this article is the concept of PLANNING to lose a specific amount of weight each week and relating that to the target date (as we were discussing yesterday). In other words, if I (or any of us) want to lose 25 pounds, and I customarily lose weight at a rate of 1/2 pound a week, it will take me approximately 1 year. If I want to achieve that weight in 6 months, I must lose 1 pound a week. To stay on track, any gains during that period must be compensated by losses at a greater rate in other weeks. (How I achieve this is up to me.)

I never "did the math" before, so this was quite interesting! Thanks again for the info!

Sue

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Hey all, interesting info on the diet programs.

Iam in a Mojo slump. I had seen this work crunch coming a month ago, but still didn't plan well enough to not get caught in it. Certainly could have been worse - I'm merely "too busy" rather than in super stressed mode.

But I am slacking off on the eating well and exercise. Steady rain and cold and allergy season isn't helping any...

Hope the rest of you are faring better.

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Sorry about the slump Celtic. What'll it take to get you back on track?

A quick and easy healthy snack is a must for work-crunch time... Do you like Hummus? It's great with veggies, and you can get a kind of "chips and dips" effect while eating only healthy stuff.

And a few stretch and breathe breaks may also help. It always amazes me how much just breathing deeply for a minute or two can refresh me when I'm 'sagging'. Add a few minutes of stretching if you can.

And don't forget to remember all of the great things you've accomplished recently -- Overcoming your fear of heights, improving your health, reinventing your fabulous kitchen. You're a Wonder Woman -- so give yourself a positive pep talk and all the credit you deserve.

• awm03
    17 years ago

Gosh celticmoon, wish I were there to cook you some dinners so you could get a break (& proper nutrition too).

Do you need some fast-prep dinner ideas? Something that's a no-brainer to prepare and won't blow your diet?

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Thank you for the support and the kind words. I do usually cook healthy, but got tangled up in work stuff late yesterday and today. Yesterday DH picked up a nice made to order spinach salad at the deli bar (no dressing for me), some spicey snapper to heat up and fresh broccoli. So far so good.

But tonight I was trapped until almost 6:30 and so wanted comfort food. Next thing I know I have hot lasagna and garlic bread hitchhiking home with me. I am now so stuffed and sleepy, and I can really feel the carbs. Like I'm drugged...

Oh well, I do like that the Zone treats each meal as a new start. After what will no doubt be a needed hard sleep, I'll eat better for breakfast, and feel better. And plow through the last day or two of work pile up. (I'd like to complain the the boss, but I'm self employed....)

....must learn better time management. And to say no when offered "urgent" work I don't want/need. I want to get back to parttime and having a pleasant work pace.

....must get to Y or out walking. Flying out east for my neice's wedding in Maine in 10 days. I pretty much wear one dress for weddings, and discovered some years ago that I can stretch it wider when it is wet and it dries able to handle extra pounds. Was hoping not to have to do that. Heck, was hoping to shop for something new and great - not feeling like that is such a hot idea all stuffed now with lasagna! Blech.

• sweeby
    17 years ago

LOL! Hey Celtic, can I borrow your dress?

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

Celtic, I can totally relate about the carbs. While I was taking steroids it seemed all I wanted to do was eat carbs! I'm really trying to focus on what I'm eating these days and get back to more friendly meals. That involves some planning for me, which is sometimes hard to do. Ah well. Tonight, we're having a big salad and I'm making tostadas, so that's one meal that's taken care of. Two days ago, I made a broccoli cheese soup that turned out to be delicious. I was worried about the roux (6 Tablespoons for a pot of soup) but didn't have to be. My goal these days is to fix the most delicious thing I can without eating too much of it.

Gibby, congratulations on your clothes not fitting! That's one thing that really keeps me going, trying on things that haven't fit in a while. Exciting!

neverdone, you'll shake it loose. Patience it one of the hardest aspects of all this.

awm, I'm still looking foward to hearing about your trip when you feel like telling us.

Sue, good luck; I hope you get the opportunity you're looking for with the volunteer job. It's good to stretch those muscles too.

Thanks to whomever mentioned weight training; I'm going to try to add it into my daily exercise this month. I'll let you know how it goes. I know I need it, since I pruned the wild forsythia hedge in my backyard yesterday and it about wore me out! I had a good mojo moment when I actually sat down to enjoy my garden yesterday. My husband goes out there to exercise in the mornings and we've both noticed how in the middle of suburbia, we feel like we live in a (very small) wildlife sanctuary. The owl in our garden was present yesterday, and it was just a moment, but satisfying to my spirit. I'm taking my satisfactions where I can find it these days...

I'm close to 30 pounds lost. My mom is coming here for a visit this weekend, and I'd like to achieve that as my goal, although I don't want to share it with her! There's something about a secret, you know?!

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Anyone still workin' it?

I'm down 10 pounds after 6 weeks -- slow and steady, I guess. Still walking six days a week, doing a little better at managing my business affairs and staying organized.

Who else is still here?

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

Sweeby, Ten pounds is BIG! I remember when I didn't think it was even possible. And, Great that you're still walking. I've slacked off, and need to climb back on the treadmill. Congratulations!

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

A funny thing happened last week. I had to do something that took an immense amount of physical work in the garden one day. It was so much that it bumped me down a pound or two. I was on my way back up but I did a good workout yesterday.

I think those of you who can stay on and lose week after week slowly are my heros. I know if I just stayed on South Beach and also worked out I would lose though I haven't managed that.

At least I haven't gained. I'll take that.

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, yes, I'm still here, just plugging along. I've lost 5-1/2 pounds so far (saw another one briefly, but it bounced away). That's almost a pound a week, and I'm pretty satisfied with my progress. I'm walking a mile and a half almost every day, so I'm telling myself that I've been gaining muscle to replace fat, and that's why the going has been slow. I've been a very good girl 0:-) (Just one more comment: I've been reading some posts on the Diet Club Forum, but I think the "mentality" is a little different over there. I see a lot of confessions about being "naughty" (e.g., eating Easter candy); what I like about THIS thread is that we've been so positive (yes, we all make mistakes, but let's learn from them and then get over them and move on). The concept of Mojo is empowerment, not helpless surrender! I also see some misconceptions about what constitutes sensible eating. Some folks over there seem to consider all calories equal, so they feel OK about eating one Hershey's kiss for 25 calories; they may be right, technically, but to me, that's a mistake because 1) candy is "empty" calories, contributing no nutritional value; and 2) sweets trigger binges (at least, in me) so that eating "just one" is playing with fire.

Sweeby and Claire, you're doing fantastic! You should give yourselves a great non-food reward! Claire, hope you get through this weekend emotionally unscathed and feeling great about yourself. You can't change your mother, but you can stop letting her "get" to you. Realize that she loves you and wants to help you, even if it sounds like criticism in your ears.

How are the rest of you doing? Hope you all have a great weekend! Stay the course!

Sue

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Hi all - I'm back from my trip. Wow - Sweeby, Claire and Sue - you guys are doing really well!! I did much better on my healthy living program while I was gone than I thought I would. I brought my ball and used that twice and also went for a walk twice. I also did alot of walking at the airport including schlepping my bag but I don't really count that.

I had to eat out of course - man, eating out every meal for five days is an eye opener. There is ALOT of bad food on the menu and not much to choose from if you want low fat, whole grains and vegies. Plus the QUANTITY of food you get some places is practically obscene. We are definitely a culture of people who like to eat large quantities of food. I was in a relatively small city so choices were limited. I did have a little fridge in my hotel room so I went to the grocery store and bought some decent things - whole grain cereal, non-fat milk, carrots, fruit, etc.

The class I went to was good for the mojo. It was somewhat grueling and two more weeks to go - plus I have to do a major project in conjunction with the class. It would be alot easier not to do this and I'd have a much nicer summer without this burden but I'm making myself do it for self improvement and marketability should I ever need to get a new job. Part of me though wishes I hadn't decided to do it but I will probably be glad I did in the end.

It was also good to travel by myself. I used to travel alot for work and it was second nature. Alot of my trips now are with someone else who handles logistics, picks me up at the airport, etc. This was on my own and I was a bit rusty - missed a few exits and had to figure out how to recover from that. It's good to get out of the comfort zone I think. And nice to be home!!

Hang in there everyone!!

• awm03
    17 years ago

Still here too, just busy. Down to 173 now, from 200 on Jan. 3. While I'm thrilled with the weight loss, I don't want to get complacent. Trying to readjust my attitude from "bottom of Phase 1" to "top of Phase 2 - 18 pounds to go."

Claire, Sweeby, mt, & Gibby: big hugs of congrats to you all. Doesn't it feel good to take control of your eating instead being out of control? Try to imagine your body as an engine happily humming along because you've cleaned some gunk out of the works!

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

I'll confess I am *not* being a Mojo model citizen. Those pounds you all are losing - I think they are coming here! My weight is up a bit, but not as much as I deserve given my unbelievably horrible diet lately. Since the lasagna seduction Tuesday, I went a little crazy:

peanut M&Ms, dark chocolate bars, ice cream, french bread, fruit bread (gift), beer (Savoy Brown concert Thursday), eggs&pancakes&bacon&english muffin (after concert), Margaritas&Mexican food&berry pie(monthy eats with women friends last night, steak and potatoes and wine tonight - whew, that's just what immediately comes to mind! Also my bike is dusty and I don't even know where my Y card is...

Somebody, stop me!!!!!!

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Oh yeah, and chocolate covered cashews, bag o dried sweetened fruit, crackers, hard cheese & olives, .....

Reminds me of when I was a subject for acupuncture smoking cessation research trials in Cambridge back in the 70's. One biweekly visit my food log report went on and on and on and on.. They showed me in the mirror that my "appetite control" pin in my ear had slipped out. Wonder if I need a pin stuck in my ear? LOL

I'll be fine. Just a phase. Thank God for the stretchy dress. My work crunch ended Friday and I should be able to get back on the Mojo train. Amazing how stress can make one feel eating badly is a right.

• awm03
    17 years ago

Savoy Brown still exists? Wow, that's a real trip to the past...

I'm trying to implant my thoughts into your brain: fruits, veggies, & whole grains! fruits, veggies, & whole grains!

There, did it work? Did you look at a piece of chocolate and think "ehhh, not interested" ?

a propos of nothing, I just discovered Ronzoni Whole Wheat Blend linguini. 180 cals for 2 oz. It's very good.

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Celtic, OK, so you had a holiday, a reversion to old times (it sounds amazingly like some of MY past behavior, except for the cheese and beer). Think about why that happened. Did the lasagna trigger it? Or did the M&Ms start a craving for more sweets? Maybe it was simply that, coming out of a high-pressure work situation, you had to let off some steam, and those fun activities (the concert, the dinner with friends, the indulgences) were just what you needed to feel "normal" and like everybody else. (Your last sentence "Amazing how stress can make one feel eating badly is a *right*" says a lot.) Sometimes, I think it's easier when you have no "life" (like me), because there aren't any circumstances beyond your control. I couldn't even try to lose weight last year, while I was under a lot of stress at work, and I'm worried about my upcoming road trip at the end of the month: a week of college reunion and visiting my sister. It's so much easier when you can keep to a calm daily routine and eat at home, so you don't have to watch other people eat tempting food.

Well, hopefully, now that you've checked in with us, you're feeling that your holiday has come to an end. Enjoy your memories of the good parts (the music and friendship), and forget the rest. Forgive yourself!! As soon as those sugary poisons are out of your system, you'll be feeling a lot better and ready to grab hold of your Mojo again. Hang on!

Sue

• Neverdone
    17 years ago

Hi everyone -

I haven't abandoned the mojo train....my computer has been down since Tuesday, and we finally just got it running again! So glad to see so many of you are doing well.

I'm doing pretty well. I only walked a couple days last week, but will be back on track tomorrow. I did lots of physical activity this weekend. DH & I hauled 2 yards of topsoil for some new landscaping we are working on. Between the mulch and the topsoil I've been hauling around, I should be be losing some of my arm flab!!

Gibby - I have to agree with you about the portion size at so many restaurants. They are outrageous! My 14 yo DD and I are making a habit lately of sharing an entree when we go out. One of us will order an extra cup of soup or side salad. Not only does it save on overeating but $$$ too.

Have a great week all :)

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

May I reboard the Mojo train please?

Today was much yard work (posted a thread on Decorating if you are curious), hour bike ride. And much better food: Allbran, blueberries, yogurt first, then leftover grilled chicken and veggies (no chips or tortillas) and for supper grilled salmon, tomato&basil and broccolini&carrots. That's more like it!!

The dangerous foods are pretty much gone. (burp.) That's part of the answer for me. I just can't have all that tempting stuff sitting there when I'm stressed and hungry.

OK, who else wants to get back on board along with me and neverdone? Those that stayed on are really getting somewhere! Go Gibby, Sweeby, Sue, Claire, awm (btw awm, your food chant worked great).

Thanks to you all for being here. Have a good start to the week.

• robin_DC
    17 years ago

I never got on board earlier (though I was on the Get Fit threads) but I'd like to join! My cousin took some pictures of me and my fiance when I was home in March, and seeing myself in the prints last week was the wake-up call I needed to make a decision to affirmatively try to lose weight and get fit (I kept waffling before re: whether I needed to lose weight or whether I had just gained weight but was at a 'good size'). I started Weight Watchers last Tuesday, and have stayed on track. I joined a tennis league a few weeks ago, so that added an extra day of exercise each week (because we practice once a week).

The main thing I've noticed with WW so far is that it forces me to be really conscious of what I eat. Last month, if there were leftover muffins, pastries, desserts in my office kitchen I almost always indulged. Now, though I know there's nothing 'off limits' I find myself looking at them and thinking "not worth the points; I'd rather eat more food later in the day." I am glad that it *is* a program where nothing is 'off limits.' I know people who've had success with programs that eliminate or restrict entire categories of food, but those never work for me (because I just crave what I can't have). It sounds odd, but knowing that eating the muffin is not 'cheating' makes it MUCH easier to just not eat it!

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Celtic - welcome back - glad you did not let that setback throw you entirely off course!!

Welcome Robin! Boy, I know what you mean when you say have I just gained weight but I'm still a good size. That's what I was telling myself too. Now that I'm a smaller size, I'm liking it ALOT better so I'm pretty sure I wasn't a good size.

Neverdone - good to hear from you again - glad to hear you are still hanging in there.

I find this group very helpful - you make me feel somewhat accountable to someone other than myself. This is my 15th week since the epiphany and I have exercised five times a week all but two weeks since then - four times in the other two weeks. I'm sure this is a first in my lifetime. I've also cut out all kinds of junk food in my diet, cut way back on diet soda, drinking lots more water, etc. I really try not to put anything in my mouth that doesn't have some nutritional value. So far so good - hopefully I can sustain this lifestyle.

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Welcome Robin, plenty of room on the train!

Hey guys, guess what I did? I went through my closet and offloaded *all* clothing bigger than my current size. All of it. I let a good friend two sizes up (she's in weightwatchers and en route down) have first dibs. She's absolutely thrilled with her picks. I then found a consignment shop for used women's clothing and they took the "good stuff", rejecting most of course as outdated or subpar quality (whimper). The rest is headed toward Goodwill. Now that is a Mojo committment. No turning back now. Feels funny to have those long-loved clothes all gone. I gain pounds and what? I go nekkid? Yikes. It is a Mojo leap of faith that despite an occasional falter, I am committed to not going back to my 2002 girth.

Again ate well and rode the bike today. I feel good, almost euphoric. So much better than the carb overdosed stumble of last week.

Choo choo, ladies (no, that's not chew chew). Rest of you coming along or what?

• awm03
    17 years ago

Hi Robin! Nice to have you along.

Celticmoon, that's terrific to hear. Glad you're feeling better & happier. re eating well/riding bike/feeling good: I think physically I'm at a point where the quality & quantity of my diet just really feels good. And that feeling helps to keep me motivated. Think my pipes are clearing out somewhat, and the engine is performing better :)

Kirstie Allie was named one of People Magazine's 100 most beautiful people this week. Good for them for including her; she's worked so hard to get herself together & deserves the accolade. She's lost 65 pounds and looks...beautiful!

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Another good day. Even got to the Y. Three days good food probably is an adequate detox. I feel normal.

Just in time to hop a plane to my neice's wedding Friday. Fly to Boston and drive up to Maine for 4 days. Some lobstah, chowdah and bee-ah awaits. I picked us a place to stay that will make us walk a mile to and fro along the coast for meals. Perfect!

Sue, Gibby, Sweeby, Awm, Robin - still all on track?? Here's a shout out to Claire, Nsmontreal, Neverdone, Pauline, Pecanpie, Pirula, Rococo, Starpooh, Namabafo, Lori, Anna and anybody I missed. Mojo train is slowing down for you, and I'm hanging off the back of the caboose here, howling with my arm outstretched, so c'mon! Jump on!

• namabafo
    17 years ago

running for the train....

I've been dealing with a seriously ill MIL the past month--her funeral was Mon. With all the stress eating and grabbing things out, I've gained weight and haven't been able to work out much.

I skimmed the posts quickly and want to say way to go sweeby, Sue, awm, gibby, robin, celticmoon--sorry if I missed anyone..

I did have my first competition of the season on Sat in NY. It felt good and I was able set personal records in all 7 of the events we contested--the winter working with weights really paid off...and I'm really only half as strong as I know I can be...

Today is a rainy day, so as soon as everyone goes, I will head to the basement for some bike and weights...then off to the supermarket for some healthy food!!

go team mojo!

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning, everyone! I'm glad that, even though we've all had our ups and downs this week, most of us are still sticking to the program (whichever one we've chosen) and, even when we veer off because of stress or other "real life" factors, we're motivated to get back to it. Last night, there was an interview on TV with the obese man who has just completed a walk across America. He commented that (I'm paraphrasing here) success in weight loss is almost entirely dependent on your mindset. That has certainly been true for me. I can remember many times, in the past year, when I would head for the snacks in the pantry and hear that little voice telling me "There's still time to stop," but, zombie-like, I ignored the voice and kept on going. NOW, when I head for the pantry, I hear that same voice, but I heed the warning; I tell myself that I have made a commitment to myself, and I've invested too much effort to undermine it now. And so the Mojo keeps me going!

namabafo, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your MIL. Congratulations on doing so well in the competition despite the fact that you know you could do even better if you were in optimal condition. Next time you will!

awm, gibby, and neverdone, you are doing just great! It sounds like you have really settled into the new life style and are enjoying it. Way to go!

Celtic, glad that you are still on the train! Have a great time "down East!" And if you have too much lobstah and chowdah, you know we'll be here to help you "recover" when you get back. (Hope you'll do the same for me when I get back from Mass and NY. It's hard to keep to a strict eating plan when you're traveling, going to festive events, and a houseguest, and I'll have a full week of all that.)

Hi Robin! Welcome aboard! I hope you have a lot of success on Weight Watchers. I was on their program twice, but that was long ago, before they started the point system. I'm sure the psychological aspect of having "permission" to eat sweet desserts, etc, works very well for some people. This kind of fits in with the DietPower idea that it's OK to go off the diet occasionally and then compensate later to get back on track (or even if it's not really OK, that's what actually DOES happen, so the method offers a built-in way to maintain the trajectory in the long term). But for me, I KNOW that I have to stay away from my trigger foods. And I feel so dedicated and committed already, that I don't know how I could try any harder, for the sake of compensation. (Well, I guess I could exercise more, but I don't think I could eat any less.)

Yesterday, I changed over my closet for the season, and I tried on most of my summer clothes. Sadly, I have a number of pants and skirts (which I bought just LAST YEAR) that are too tight right now :-( although the tops still fit. So that just proves that I've been sitting here at the computer too much! Hopefully, my daily walks will have an effect soon, so I'll lose the weight in the right places. Just what I needed: more motivation!

Have a good day, everyone!

Sue

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Glad you're back on track Celtic. And Namabafo - Wow! I think that's so cool - Congratulations. That's neat news about Kirstie Alley -- wonder what's really up with the why's and how's there... Those inches will come, Sue -- Just keep on working at it. I'll bet you're back into your summer clothes before it's even officially summer.

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, but I've been checking in here daily. I'm still eating well and exercising, which is good - so I'm still on track. But life has been getting very complicated.

DH's family is in a real mess right now, and MIL might end up losing her house due to SIL's financial problems and MILs inability to say "no" to bailing SIL out of the latest in a 25+ year saga of serial mistakes. I think I'll head over to the Caretakers Forum to see what wisdom can be gleaned over there for helping MIL without tearing the family apart... Wish me luck!

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Sweeby - good to hear from you and glad to hear you're doing well. Sorry to hear about the challenges with the family. I think most of us have some dilemmas along those lines. I can remember when I was much, much younger thinking other people had "normal" families. Now many years later I don't think anyone does. Hang in there.

Nothing new to report here - just chugging along as usual.

• robin_DC
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone! Pretty swamped at work right now (deadline keeps getting moved earlier; now it is Friday morning, before it was Monday). Annoyed b/c I had to miss tennis practice to work late tonight. But I'm staying on track foodwise. Went grocery shopping last night and spent time reading labels to find some new stuff to try; trying to mix up my fruits and veggies each week so I don't get too tired of things. I'd lost two pounds as of yesterday, which was exciting.

namabafo-- I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.

will post again when I'm less pressed with work!

• Neverdone
    17 years ago

Hi all!! My d**m computer was down since I posted earlier this week and I have been ready to throw it across the room :( Well, I guess I whined about it so much that I am typing on my new laptop...early Mother's Day gift from DH! Talk about making my day! :)

This has been quite an active week. After hauling dirt all weekend DH and I spent Monday & Tuesday buying & planting lots of new shrubs & trees. I found muscles in my arms, legs and back side that haven't been used in ages! You'd think with all the walking I wouldn't have so much pain, but man, I was aching! Gardening & yardwork are definitely my favorite form of activity. Walking the nursery and enjoying all the flowers is also good for my soul.

Robin - welcome, and congrats on your 2 lb loss! I can really relate to your story about seeing yourself in pictures. Everytime I see pictures of myself, I am shocked. I guess when I look in a mirror, I see myself thinner than I really am...how can that be? You mentioned a fiance'...when are you getting married?

namabafo - congrats on your 1st competition! Keep up the good work. Sorry to hear about your MIL.

gibby,sweeby, sueby, ooops, Sue - glad to hear you ladies are all sitting comfortably on the train! Keep up the great work :)

awm - I am soooo impressed with your weight loss...27 pounds!! That is great!

celtic - so glad you are turning things around. I have to say your posts above cracked me up...especially the choo-choo (not chew-chew)!
    Thanks for doing the roll call of previous passengers. I hope some of you check in. We all know this is a tough battle and we are here to support you. I think it was Ivette that posted on another thread about participating in a 39 mile walk....if that's not a mojo moment, I don't know what is.

Have a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day to all you moms.

• Neverdone
    17 years ago

Heeeelllllloooooooo?! (don't make me feel like a thread killer!!) LOL ;)

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

I have nothing much to report - other than a couple days of craving some not so good food and being really sick of my usual healthy food. I truly believe I'm addicted to chocolate. I went a few days without and it seems I had to make up for it yesterday. I was also craving a hamburger (something I rarely eat) so I got one - California burger with MAYO!! It was great. I think I'm over it now.

This weekend I'll be doing the usual exercise routines and I need to get to the grocery store and make some food for next week. The weather is crummy unfortunately.

I have to go back to the doctor in a couple weeks to get my blood pressure and electrolytes rechecked due to the HBP medication - the HBP diagnosis is the thing that started my healthier living campaign. Last labwork indicated high calcium which can be a sign of hyperparathyroid disease - and high blood pressure is also a symptom along with bone/joint pain which I have been experiencing since I started exercising alot. I am anxious to find out if I have this or not. It is relatively rare so probably not.

• awm03
    17 years ago

Hey, everybody. Just checking in. Rode in the NYC 5 Boro Bike ride last week -- 42 miles, beautiful weather, downtime with DH. Down to 172 after a 1 week plateau.

Survived my son's birthday on Thursday without too much damage: had 2 brownies but felt BLECHHH afterwards and didn't want any more garbage food. Fortunately DH & my sons consumed the leftovers. Wonder how long I can ride this taste for healthy foods? I gave up about 95% of junk food Jan.-Mar., then 100% during Lent, and now I have little tolerance for it. Well, I did have 3 malted milk balls for 200 calories today (bought some from the Girl Scout next door for the neighborly spirit thing) but they're not worth blowing my DietPower numbers for. Oh please let this last, oh please...

Well, I'm being very brave here (or foolish!), but here's a picture of me from last week. I still look like a cow & hope to lose 40 more pounds. But it's an improvement!

• mtnester
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awm, what are you talking about? You look GREAT in that picture! You have a bicyclist's legs, too, not fat ones like mine. I've wondered how you can be so athletic when you're carrying extra weight, but it probably depends on how the weight is distributed in your body. Mine has been in my legs (mainly my thighs) all my life, so I was never able to develop the muscles in them. Bike riding is very hard for me. More power to you!

And neverdone, it's sounds like you're developing some of those gardening muscles, too. You're burning lots of calories, and soon you'll have a beautiful yard as a result of all your efforts.

Robin, I'm glad you're off to a good start! Hope the pressure at work levels off soon.

Gibby, remember that old expression "Don't trouble Trouble, till Trouble troubles you"? Well, don't jump to conclusions about having a serious condition till you KNOW; there could be other, more innocuous explanations. But it's good that you're having it checked out.

As for me, I've lost 7-1/2 pounds so far, not earthshaking, but ahead of schedule (I wanted to reach this point by the time I went to my reunion). One more pound, and I'll be down to where I was the day I retired. (Then I'll try to get to where I was a year ago.)

I've made very exciting progress in my genealogical research this past week, mostly because of the kindness of strangers, who have volunteered to help me with a translation--and a lot more. It fills me with gratitude and makes me want to help others, in turn, with whatever expertise I can offer.

Last night, we drove to Philadelphia to celebrate my MIL's 94th birthday and Mother's Day at a "fancy" restaurant. I had salmon cooked to perfection with just a little bit of a delicious sauce and a taste of the rice pilaf, salad with lo-cal dressing, no bread, and no dessert, so I don't think I did much damage. The weather has been very cruddy here, rainy and gloomy, but I'll be walking again as soon as the sun comes out. Hang in there, everybody! And Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are moms.

Sue

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Awm - good for you - that ride sounds awesome. I don't think you look like a cow at all - you look very fit! The way you describe junk food sounds alot like me. I wonder too how long I can do this - especially after my burger and chocolate binge last week. I was really feeling sick of the regular healthy stuff I've been eating.

I didn't feel too gross after I ate that but today I got a french toast muffin at the coffee shop - with my coffee. Oh my gawd - it was so sweet. I ate it of course but BLECHHH is a good way to describe how I felt afterward. It still almost makes me sick to think about it. And then it wasn't a Starbucks skim mocha so that was way too sweet and yucky too. In retrospect I would have been much more satisfied with just a good robust cup of Americano. Live and learn.

My taste for sweet, rich and/or salty foods has definitely changed. Today I went to the grocery store and loaded up on the good stuff again. I had a disgustingly healthy cart full of whole grains, produce, non/low fat dairy, fish and poultry. I think having the gross muffin before I went to the store made all that other stuff sound great. As of this morning I have lost 12 pounds and I really like the new smaller me so I don't want to blow it.

How is everyone else doing?

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Will you all please scootchie over to make room again for my fat fanny on the Mojo train? Thank you.

Did not go through with the test for gluten intolerance- found out it was a biopsy of sorts and I have way too much going on to go down for a day. Put it off indefinitely, but am pretty much sticking to the diet. My tummy tells me when I've gone off. Howls and rumbles from below.

Had my annual GYN checkup, and the PA said I was down several pounds- and my size 12s are too big. Big smile.

Celticmoon, I believe berry pie counts as a fruit. I make pumpkin pie with skim evaporated milk and don't eat the crust. This IS a vegetable, isn't it?

Congrats to all for your efforts and losses!!!!

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Just checking in --- Nice to see so many folks making great progress and doing so well.

Awm - You SO do not look like a cow! You look very fit and healthy -- something I aspire to.

And welcome Pecanpie -- There's plenty of room here, and we're especially glad to have new members. If I'm not mistaken, there are other types of tests you can do for gluten intolerance that don't involve biopsies. (Urinalysis) Though I've got to admit I have heard they're not 100% accurate, and just trying the diet is the best way to find out.

I had a nice downward bounce on Mothers' Day, but it was just a tease... Ended up level for the week at my Monday morning 'official' weigh-in, but I think it's mostly due to Sunday's mini-binge. (fajitas and guacamole)

Spent a 'cable-less' weekend missing you guys, but I'm back on line now...

• awm03
    17 years ago

Hey! We've got some real success stories here! mtnester's down 7.5 pounds, gibby's down 12, pecan's down a pants size, CdL's lost a whopping 30 lbs., Robin's down 2, & namabafo's holding steady but is stronger & fitter. Anybody else? Did I miss somebody? We need Koko Taylor to sing Got My Mojo Workin' for us. (Looks like Koko's lost a pile of weight too.)

Bought knew pants today. Squeezing into size 14s, tossing out the old 18s. I hope never to have to buy women's plus sizes ever again. I hated those clothes. Nothing fashionable.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

You guys are so great! Awm - talk about success stories - that size drop is a major accomplishment. Isn't it a beautiful thing to buy smaller pants - ya' just gotta' love it.