Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gayl

OT; What do you think of turquoise cabinets in Laundry?

gayl
13 years ago

Okay, thanks to everyone here and all the info I've gotten over the past 2+ years, our new home is about 1/2 way completed. My kitchen will be a safe, classic black/white theme. So, I'm thinking of having my laundry cabinets painted turquoise to bring a little fun into the house. Will I regret this? Thoughts, opinions? Other ideas?

Comments (17)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I can't think of a better place to go a little wild than in a laundry area (oh...and a powder room). You're not in there often enough to get bored with it and it's usually a pretty utilitarian space where you are doing drudge work...so if turquoise cabinets bring a smile to your face while doing the laundry, Hooray!

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Bingo! melissastar took the words right out of my mouth -- what better place to have fun than in small, enclosed spaces like laundry and powder rooms? I love turquoise so am excited about seeing your space -- yum yum. Starting in January I redid our laundry room, tiling the floor in a crazy quilt patchwork tile pattern, painting the cabs pale yellow and the knobs chartreuse, the ceiling a glossy golden tangerine and the walls a yellow gingham pattern. We L-O-V-E it! It is such a chipper, joyful room. Last year I did our powder room and painted the walls / ceiling hot pink. I silver-leafed the ceiling, added a drippy over-the-top chandelier, and then installed the most fab flooring (which I could not afford in a larger space).

Those two rooms are POW, give me a warm fuzzy, and now that they're done I would do it again the exact same way in a New York minute.

The only thing I regret is that they make me so happy I wonder if I shouldn't have been kinda crazy in the kitchen as well ....

• sumnerfan
    13 years ago

Sounds like a good place to infuse some fun.

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for reenforcing my thoughts. I just didn't want to be way off-track. It's a decent-sized room with a sewing area and a large window,so it won't be overwhelming I don't think. But I'm nervous about getting tired of it. But I think melissastar is right about not being in there enough to get bored with it....and I think it will bring a smile to my face, if it's the right color, which is the next hurdle.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

What melissa said. I've always wanted an amethyst laundry room, myself.

• lithigin
    13 years ago

Love the idea! Every time you walk down the stairs/hall, kinda dreading having to fold a big pile of clothes, you will break into a big smile when you walk into a fun, bright room that you love; DO it!

In fact, it makes me want to get a fun paint for our 1950s metal cabs that were put in the laundry room when this kitchen got its last reno in the 80s. Right now they are a delightful musty yellow color with rust accents. :)

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Oh, yes, by all means, go for it. It will help you stay awake whilst doing dull, repetitive tasks, and, if the lighting is correct, walking into the room may feel like diving into a cool pool, even on hot days. At least, that has been my experience. I should probably add that my laundry room is isolated from the rest of the house by a back hall, so one doesn't stare into it from other rooms, in case visual continuity could be an issue. (Caveat: This response is coming from the gal with a laundry room that has cabinets stained Sherwin-Williams Jamboree Jade and walls painted 1) Ellen Kennon Giverny Blue, 2) Farrow and Ball Teresa's Green, 3) Farrow and Ball Blue Ground, and 4) a ceiling in Farrow and Ball Pale Powder. Pulls are crystal and knobs are MacKenzie-Childs {{gwi:1546078}}.)

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love those knobs!!

• leela4
    13 years ago

Yes, yes!! Paint those cabs turquoise; any other color that you want to bring in there??

Maybe a little OT, but I remember a post a few (or more) months ago by someone who had a wall or door that had their children's heights marked on it that got painted over (very sad). In my very-needing-to-be-painted laundry room, I have a wall of my daughters' heights, and now also my grandsons'. Any ideas from you clever GW's about how I could paint the walls but somehow preserve that wall, or at least that portion of it?

• slush1422
    13 years ago

I LOVE it as well! My laundry room was the first thing painted when we moved into our home... and of course it's Turquoise! We mixed in some oranges with it too and it's so bright and cheery. Can't wait to see finished pictures of what you end up doing.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Leela4: How about putting a frame around it...either of actual molding or a painted faux frame?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Definitely go for it! The laundry room is perfect for going colorful since it's such a drab chore.

Leela4, I'm not a particularly creative person, but the first thing that comes to mind to solve your problem is to frame that section of wall. Paint the rest, but leave that section alone. Can you frame it with a colorful molding, and maybe stencil something like "Growing Up" or "How Tall am I?" at the top?

• leela4
    13 years ago

Melissa and flwrs-framing it is a great idea! Thanks!!

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

leela, we had that exact same problem when we last painted our current laundry room. The painter simply "framed" around the measurements. So now we have green walls, but a rectangle with rounded corners of white with our measurements inside. It's very fun to see and now we are adding our granddaughter's measurements. I don't know what to do about it now that we are moving!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I would do it in a heartbeat!

I love LOVE turquoise! It will be so fun and bright! And for me, I need all the motivation I can get to finish the laundry--this would certainly help! ;^)

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Not a lot to show for "turquoise cabinets laundry room" in Google Images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue, huh?

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, kitchendetective! Actually, I am having a tough time figuring out my color. I got a sample yesterday that looks somewhat like the one you posted, but I think I want a deeper, richer color. I don't want it to look like an easter egg, and I don't want to get tired of it....I know what I want, but I'm not great with color, and finding it is becoming an issue...