Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheripatrice_gw

OT Boxerpups--Can you Please answer boxer puppy questions? :)

CheriPatrice
13 years ago

Along with building and buying a house and getting married, we are buying a puppy. I've been researching and decided on a boxer. Would like to talk or email offline with questions if you are open to that. Otherwise, maybe through this board but not sure if that's legal, haha. Although our puppy will spend quite a bit of time in the new kitchen! :))

Let me know,

Thanks

Cheri

Comments (31)

• grneyesct
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry to butt in .. but just had to comment...

We have a boxer and just adore the breed!! Best of luck with your puppy!!

• funfarm
    13 years ago

Okay, I'll butt in too... But only because it's in regards to Boxers. We had "Beau" for 11 years until we lost him to cancer. Wonderful breed, sweet as the day is long and smarter than they like to let on. Beau was true to form in that he stayed puppyish well beyond his puppy years. He got in his share of trouble early on, but learned well and turned into a very beloved member of the family.
    You've probably read this in your research of the breed, but they are prone to cancers - not unlike a lot of breeds, unfortunately. I feel fortunate that we had Beau in our lives for 11 years.
    Make some room on your lap/couch/bed and go for it. I don't think you will regret choosing one as a family member.
    Just another quick note. Not sure if you have your heart set on a brindle or fawn-colored one, but there are white ones too. I believe these are often surrendered to boxer rescue organizations because breeders don't want them in the breeding pool. You may be able to get one from a rescue or from a breeder that has one and will adopt it out under the condition that it is altered so as not to breed or be bred.
    We have since committed ourselves to nothing but shelter dogs now, so probably no purebred boxers in our future, but I do recommend them.

Good luck, Dean

• missstella
    13 years ago

I'll "wiggle" in too.

We have two boxers currently. They are high energy dogs and like company (that's why we have two). They are the loving-est dogs around. Good natured, stubborn, and funny as all get out. They are not long lived but worth every minute. FYI, White boxers do tend to be deaf, but can be trained with hand signals and usually do better with a "companion" dog to help them interpret. We have had both breeder boxers and rescues. Current pups are rescues.

Love my pups.

Stella

• CheriPatrice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks y'all. I've heard they are a great family dog. My family has lots of young kids always running around. We see a teammate at Little League bring his boxer to the games and it sits contently watching the game. Honestly, that made the decision for me. I guess also each dog has a different personality and training is required, but I'm getting the impression from what I'm reading that they have the ability to play and then have an even temperment at other times. Also, we need an inside dog, although we have plenty of space around our house for long walks for his/her exercise and also so he/she doesn't eat all my shoes and furniture. I was wondering, some pics show floppy ears and some are pointy. I like the floppy. So is that clipped or unclipped? Also, I love the flashy brindles, which I see are also called brindle with white markings. The purebreed site are VERY pricey, so I don't know if I should just do a general google search. My coworker told me they lost their beloved boxer at age 6. He regrets not having done more research on the parents, grandparents. So, in his opinion, it may be worth it to pay more for a dog whose sire and dam have a health certificate, or health history, or something like that? Finally, another question, we have what we call our family 'ranch' about 10 miles outside the city. We barbeque, take the kids fishing, play tennis, etc. on weekends. Will my boxer be able to roam free or will I have to always keep him on a leash? Your feedback is welcome and most appreciated.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Boxers do seem great, but may I add the Golden Retriever to the mix? We lost ours two years ago at the age of 15. She was there fo my daughters from kindergarden to college.
    All dogs need to be trained. I always say that the three most important things when you get a puppy are training, training and training. This should be your hobby for the first year at least of your dog's life. Growing up we had a mixed breed that was very difficult to manage. I wanted a dog that could be polite to guests (not jump, not be annoying etc) heel on leash, and be off leash in the park and come back when called. I got all these things with our Golden.
    Whatever dog you choose, just be prepared to put the time in to train her/him well.
    I like the idea of rescue dogs, but buyer be aware. Sometimes there is a reason why people have given up their dogs. A neighbor summed this up best about her rescue terrier, "We thought we were saving this dog from the world, not saving the world from this dog." They had to work their lives around this very agressive little dog. Just a thought.

• tracie.erin
    13 years ago

Hi Cheri - yes, a good breeder will health test both parents before breeding. Dogs that do not score well should not be bred, so you should acquaint yourself with what a good score is in each of the applicable tests.

Additionally, the breeder will either work and/or show the dog to prove the dog is a good specimen of the breed and "deserves" to be bred - which is a big deal considering how many homeless dogs are killed each day. If the dogs are shown, they should be "CH" or "Champions" - and that's the parents of your puppy, not the grandparents or great uncles or whatever. If parents are worked in agility, guardwork, search and rescue, schultzhund/protective work, therapy, or anything else, ideally they will have won some kind of competition.

I am not too familiar with boxers as a breed but the link below seems fairly comprehensive. Scroll 2/3 of the way down to "Tests available to screen for serious genetic diseases and which should be undertaken on all breeding boxers."

If you choose not to go with a breeder, I hope you will consider adopting a dog from a rescue or shelter. Your area probably has a boxer-specific rescue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxer health testing

• gayleski
    13 years ago

Another Boxer mom here!!

There are a number of Boxer rescue organizations out there with really GREAT dogs in need of homes. Our boy is a rescue. We adopted him at 5 months old.

The American Boxer Rescue Association (ABRA) can direct you to some. http://www.americanboxerrescue.org/

• function_first
    13 years ago

Here's an endorsement from a non-boxer owner, just to be sure you're getting an unbiased response. We frequent a dog park where all the dogs run and play off leash, and without fail the most friendly dogs that get along well with every dog there are the boxers. My dog (and english bulldog) loves to wrestle with other dogs and the boxers just roll with it (literally and figuratively) -- wonderfully tempered, easy-going, get-along-with-everyone dogs. This may also be a plug for early and frequent socialization. Don't take your dog too soon from the breeder (never prior to 8 weeks) -- that's when they learn bite inhibition and it helps them get along with other dogs. Also, make a habit not only of regular exercise, but regular off-leash play times with other dogs (in a safe, secured area), again early and often -- they need this skill set to get along with other dogs.

• CheriPatrice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flashy Brindle pup in link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look at this cutie patootie!

• missstella
    13 years ago

Floppy ears are unclipped or natural. Tails are generally docked within the first week(days?) of life. Clipped ears are at the discretion of the owner. I've never clipped ears, but felt like it was unnecessary especially since my pups have been family dogs. It is actually a banned practice in Europe. "Flashy" boxers are often reserved by breeders for show--at least they were when we purchased our first two pups. What shows well changes over time--kind of like kitchens (LOL), so that may be different now.

My first three boxers were purchased from reputable breeders and the health of the parents was verified. I think this can only help so much as parents are generally only a few years old at the time of breeding. Of those three, one died tragically after being hit by a car (yard guy left fence open). The other two were related (aunt and nephew) both of them died of cancers around the age of 8 (pancreatic and brain, respectively).

While it is true that some rescue animals have issues, a good rescue organization will look at your situation, home, children, activities, and assess the fit of a dog. We had to go through an interview, provide references, have a home visit and arrange for an off site meeting with our other dog before we were allowed to adopt. Where you get your dog is really a personal choice.

As to whether you can let your pup freely roam on the farm, or elsewhere I think would depend on the dog. Our first pup would take off the minute she was given a chance. We usually had to trap her or wait for her to wear out to get her back home. Although, I think she would have been okay with 10 acres. Our current female won't leave my side if let out the door. In fact, she has gone out the back gate around to the front door and "knocked" to come back in. Our other pup has a bit of the "hound" in him and tends to follow his nose--he's like my son, doesn't hear a thing! I call him my Boxhund.

I generally keep my dogs on leashes when we are out because while I know they are friendly, not everyone wants to be greeted by a strange dog. Unfortunately, Boxers are sometimes confused with Pit Bulls and it helps strangers to see that they are under control. I personally have no issues with Pit Bulls, but recognize the perceptions and issues associated with that breed are sometimes associated with Boxers.

Inside, my pups were initially crate trained until they could be trusted to behave while we were away. We did lose a few things to puppy training, but we had to be trained too. We still keep the crates in the basement. The pups sometimes sleep in them when we are having work done at the house or when it is stormy.

Bottom line, find a good fit, give them love and training and you'll be fine.

• CheriPatrice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the posts! FYI, I adore Golden Retrievers. My father had a kennel and bred them a few times out at our ranch. Just recently someone said, oh I knew your father, we bought our golden from him. Anyway, my fiance wants something different, so it is what it is. :)

• mastiffmom_85
    13 years ago

Another non-boxer (but BIG dog) owner butting in!

Boxers are a wonderful breed for families, but, as stated above, are prone to some health issues. Mastiffs have similar issues.

It is ABSOLUTELY worth the extra money to buy from a reputable breeder rather than someone quickly found from a google search who has 'puppies always available'. Look for extensive health testing and
    show/obedience/work titles. The Boxer Club of America would be a good place to start looking for a breeder. People who test/show/participate with
    their boxers are generally committed to the BREED, and not just out to make a quick buck.

Also, a boxer-specific rescue would be another excellent choice, as the
    volunteers generally are very knowledgable about their breed and can fit the right dogs into the right situations. You'd be providing a second chance to a great friend.

Please, please, please consider both these options. Buyer beware with Internet/newspaper breeders...they don't always have the dogs' or your best interests in mind!! A breeder friend once told me that you can pay a little more upfront for a good pup, or you can pay more later in vet visits and heartache with a sick/ill bred one.

Good luck! I adore dogs, and boxers are a fabulous choice for a family!

~ Mastiff Mama (stepping off her soapbox)

• lilydixie
    13 years ago

We have 2 boxers, both fawns. Our girl from a breeder is 9. She's had a few suspicious skin bumps checked out over the years, but she's doing great. Our boy is 7, a rescue, and is such a sweetheart. He just wants to lay in your lap and snuggle all day long.

They both have mild heart murmurs so I worry about that, especially when they run around a lot or are out in the Texas heat.

They are like children! They love to be near us at all times and they can't get enough love and attention.

They are great with my 4 yr old daughter. Very tolerant of all the things that toddlers do to dogs. We were at the park today and they just love being around all the kids.

They like to explore outside but spend most of their time indoors, especially if it's too hot or too cold. They don't tolerate either very well.

They shed...a lot! I have dark wood floors and by mid day, there's a coating of their hair all over.

My big boy (80 lbs) scratches the wood floors just standing up.

He also slobbers....a lot. We're talking bubbles and 6" long walrus tusk looking drool. I keep a towel by the back door to wipe his face before he comes inside.

Our girl snores... loud! They used to sleep in our room but have been moved to a spare bedroom. We tuck them in every night in their beds and put blankets over them.

I know all these things are typical of dogs, but these are the things that on a daily basis can be a PITA.

But, we love them. They are part of our family. They're funny, playful and super sweet. Definitely recommend them as a great family dog.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Cheri,

I am honored that you asked me. I love boxers.
    I am not a breeder, I grew up with breeders and I have been
    exposed to many great breeds. Boxers, Shih Tzus, Border
    Collies, Goldens and mutts.

I am huge boxer fan. Being part of a boxer's life is a true
    gift. And so, I shall be exceedingly up front about the
    breed. The dog you see at your son's baseball game is
    probably well-bred, well-trained and well tempered. Let me
    tell you the negatives because it is so very easy to fall
    in love with a picture. Or even a beautiful dog at your
    son's baseball game.

The cropped ears are very painful for a boxer. Unless
    you are going to show your dog please consider the natural
    floppy ear. They are less likely to get infected and the
    ong term health of the ears is benefited by not cropping.
    Cropping is illegal in the UK. Breeding has created a
    weak tail, so a docked tail is necessary. Otherwise the
    tail is often shattered when it hits a wall or table. This
    is often done before you bring your baby home.

Boxers are not easy. They have short hair but their
    shedding is difficult because the hairs are tiny and get
    into everything. Boxers are very clean. Boxers can be
    stubborn. They need positive reinforcement. They do not do
    well with yelling or physical punishment. Keep in mind
    there is a difference between holding your dog in a firm
    down position or beating him. You get what I mean. They are
    medium physically strong dogs but they have gentle little
    souls that need a firm lead.

I love this breed so much that I have to be honest because
    I have seen many wind up in shelters, harmed or an owner
    frustrated by their antics. Search long and hard for the
    right breeder and the right puppy.

Some key red flags that worry me... Please do not be
    offended, you want the right dog for yourself.

1) You don't want anyone to chew your shoes. A chewing
    puppy is a reality. However if you know up front that some
    Puppies chew more than others (like some babies cry
    more) you can plan for this. Baby gates, Crate training,
    puppy kindergarten, and chew toys. We had an adult dog
    that was 9 and still needed to chew. For him, it was his
    way to calm himself. Some people play with their hair
    before falling asleep some dogs need a coping mechanism.
    Chewing is what many dogs do. This is okay as long as
    they don't chew your new kitchen cabinets. And don't think
    for a minute anything is off limits. They really are
    clueless.

2) I volunteer at local Animal Shelters, been a supporter
    and contributor to many Boxer Rescues across the us.
    My grandparents were breeders and my parents have
    owned many boxers over the years. I met my first boxer
    when I was a week old and he was 7. Love forever!

I love the idea of rescue BUT I am almost always
    90% against a family with small children participating in a
    rescue. Unless they know the history of the dog or the
    dog has been temperament tested by a professional. Adopting
    a dog is a huge risk to your kids. I have seen children
    injured forever because of the risk taken and the unknowns
    involved. A good Breed rescue organization is a great
    resource. If your kids are older than 12 and able to
    babysit I say adopt away. I have seen small kids get bit,
    a dog put down, panic, chaos, fears and horror�All because
    the new owner did not spend the time, energy, training,
    effort and money for the safety of the dog with children.

3) Dogs are expensive. I do not mean just food, toys or
    even vet care. I mean damage to lawns, furniture,
    emergencies, kennel care, skunks, porcupines, fences,
    leashes, damage to windows, screens, doors, furniture,
    carpets, floors, tile, ear mites, ticks lyme disease,
    glass in a paw, swallowed a tree light�.endless bills.

4) I have to politely disagree with FunctionFirst. My
    personal rule is 7 weeks. But this is my personal family
    history. 7 has worked for all our dogs. But 8 may be the
    magic number for the dog aggressive issue. This is new to
    me.

Dog aggression is almost always about the dog thinking he
    is in charge. A good Alpha trained dog will know you are
    the boss and he/she can never be aggressive to any dog or
    human unless you give the signal.

5) The average life expectancy of a boxer is 10 years.
    Yes, some live to 14 but others die at 6. They have a
    high rate of heart trouble and despite good breeding
    practices there are still 1/3 die from cancers. Even the
    best bred dog with a perfect genetic history may have one
    that fails and dies young. This is reality.

6) Personality.

"The character of the Boxer is of the greatest importance and demands the most solicitous attention. It is renowned from olden times for its great love and faithfulness to its master and household. It is harmless in the family, but distrustful of strangers, bright and friendly of temperament at play, but brave and determined when aroused. Its intelligence and willing tractability, its modesty, and cleanliness make it a highly desirable family dog and cheerful companion. It is the soul of honesty and loyalty, and is never false or treacherous even in its old age."
    1938 Boxer Breed Standard. (German)

Boxers are beyond sweet. Loyal, sensitive, smart,
    outgoing, friendly, loving, rambunctious when young,
    and depending on the temperament be laid back or alert.
    They are not always good problem solvers. But this is a
    good thing. They don't know they can jump the fence. Which
    remind me. Boxers are jumpers. Many a boxer has hung
    him/herself because they have jumped off a deck,
    jumped outside while tied to a tree.. Horrific but because
    they tend to leap they are truly fragile.

7) Boxers are perpetual children. They will never grow up
    beyond the mental age of 4. This means you will need to
    commit to care for them for 10-15 years and yet they will
    only be at the mental age of 4. If you say Cookie that is
    all they will think about until you give them a cookie.
    Like a small child they are simple, sensitive, sweet and
    innocent. They need a safe home. Don't buy a boxer unless
    you are truly willing to commit to a toddler who will dig
    through the trash, dig for a bone or chew on your Stewart
    Weitzman shoes. .

Gosh I am acting like these are my babies.

8) Boxers do not do well with a yelling, temper tantrums
    or violence of any means. They want to please and will do
    anything to try to make you happy. Boxers need to follow
    a leader an alpha. They were designed to be night time
    guard dogs around German Manors They have excellent
    hearing.

9) Our family boxers have always been silent. This means
    if someone were to approach our house, our female boxer
    would knock the intruder down and then bark in his face. My
    male tends to be more excitable at strangers and would bark
    before knocking them down and tend to alert us to something
    wrong. My boxers are not loud at all.

Our family boxers are mellow. Most people used to boxers
    are always shocked at how calm, quiet and relaxed our dogs
    are. This took training. They were in training from 7 weeks
    on.

I am going to sound psychotic. They are trained to urinate
    on command, come, stay, sit, and even find one of our
    children. A silly game we had them learn so if ever we
    needed to find our lost child. My boxers are part of the
    family and I can not imagine my life otherwise.

10) A fantastic book to read is called The Monks of New
    Skete. This is the bible of most breeders. I recommend
    this book because it really talks about issues owners have
    and ways you can prevent this by research and training.

11) Your ranch. Each dog is different. I currently have
    one boxer I could take anywhere without a leash and he will
    be by my side. He is extremely well trained. Our female is
    well trained but can be sneaky. She has been known to
    convince the male to follow her. If you don't pay attention
    they will go off to explore. If we take him alone he never
    leaves our side but he will do exactly as she asks. He is
    like the little brother. They are from different breeders.

12) Time. Do you have the time to devote to a dog? Double
    this time! For the first 3 years of life he/she needs
    constant training. I do not mean sit, stay, roll over.. I
    mean training! They need two walks per day and even play
    time throughout the day. At least 2 hours per day. 3
    years later you can narrow this down to 1 hour. Walking,
    or running, hiking and biking with your dog helps them stay
    calm. A boxer also needs simple but effective rules. A
    bored dog will be destructive but a happy dog with a simple
    job will be calm. Boxers do not like to be alone. This
    does not mean they can stay in their crate for a few hours
    but the reality is they need to be a part of your life. If
    you go to the store take them in the car with the window
    cracked open. If you are bathing your children, they can
    sit by the tub. If you are reading to the kids they are
    there are your feet. They should NEVER sleep in your kids
    beds or yours. (Read Monks of New Skete)

Female boxers from my experience tend to lead. And males
    often are the fools of the family. Most of the males I
    have been around tend to be the more affectionate, silly
    and goofy type of personality. Although growing up we had
    one male who was the calm leader. If you want a dog that
    will mature a little faster and be the easier to raise of
    the two sexes, go for a spayed female. A neutered Male is
    another good option. But a male will take a little longer
    to learn and may need a little more patience. Each Boxer
    I have been around has been unique but the trait that
    every boxer has had is loyalty. This is the most common
    trait I have seen from my experience.

Okay, if after you read everything and you still want a
    boxer. I think you can do it. I know you can.

~boxerpups
    ( sorry to be so long)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog breed quiz, which is right for you?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

My little beagle used to play w/ a boxer all the time when she was a puppy. The great big boxer was SO careful not to step on her when she was tiny and was so gentle when he played with her! It was wonderful to watch.

• kimg1979
    13 years ago

We love our boxers with all of our heart, but I think our boxers love and care for us even more.

• missstella
    13 years ago

Boxerpups

Well said, and so incredibly thoughtful. I wish we lived in the same town. I'm sure our "puppy souls" would find each other and be the best of friends.

Stella (my first boxer pup)

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

boxerpups-
    it sounds to me that you could be an Ed fan! Proud mommy of 2 working line GSD's here and SO agree with everything in your post!! All of your points can be taken for most breeds. I also have a mixed breed toy. We enforce the same rules for two 85 pounders and a 5 pounder! But HAD to laugh after reading your 'psychotic' line! We trained for the same thing. People think my DH and I are control freaks because our GSD's urinate on command in a special 'spot'. Yes you can run barefoot anywhere on my 3 acres and not step in one poop pile or yellow spot!! Mine are 7, 4 and 1 and still have daily training sessions.
    Hurray for clean lawns, and for forever training!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leerburg

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I am a Shiba Inu lover. However, the recommendation I want to make is to purchase and read (from cover to cover) the book The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete. This group actually breeds and raises german shepards, but this book is the best for training your baby. There are also books by Ian Dunbar that I found excellent for house training.

I grew up thinking I didn't like dogs, but what I discovered is that I don't like untrained dogs. You know the ones - yappy, barking at EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, jumping up, pulling on the leash, aggressive, eating shoes and furniture, messing in the house etc. Training your puppy is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to do. An untrained dog is a reflection of the owner.

Check your local parks and recreation for obedience and agility classes. We did all levels from puppy kindergarten to advanced. Agility is great training because it requires you to develop a really close relationship with your dog that allows both of you to listen to each other, to really know each other. Even if you never compete (we never did) the training aspect is excellent.

Whatever training you choose, consistency is key. Dogs will only do what YOU allow.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

They should NEVER sleep in your kids
    beds or yours.

hi boxerpups...

were you referring to all breeds, or boxers in particular?

(this has me concerned, because i let my dog sleep on the bed!)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh dear, Ironcook,

let me be clear. There is nothing wrong with your
    dogs sleeping with you. If your dogs are not people
    aggressive or even bullies, You are fine. And I think
    sleeping with your dogs is a great bonding experience.

My advice is really for the new dog owner. Let me explain
    why. Some boxers or I should say Some dogs can be dominate.
    In the training and breeding world these dominate dogs
    are often working dogs. You can find a list of working
    dogs at AKC Breeds by group. Not all working dogs can
    can be aggressive but a weak, inexperienced owner
    can sometimes have issues with some of these fantastic
    dogs.

(German shepherds, Akitas, Cane Corso, Bullmastiff,
    Giant Schnauzer, Rottweiler, Doberman, and the Argentine
    Dogo which is not on the AKC list but is a known breed in
    the world) But any dog can be dominate even a tea cup
    poodle.

For a new dog owner, someone who knows very little about
    dog training or alpha dog issues. They might follow the rule
    of having the dog sleep on the floor of the bedroom or
    even in a dog crate. This reminds the dog that he or she is
    not the boss. They sleep lower then others on this family
    totem pole which helps them understand where they are
    in the pecking order of the pack. These little steps help
    keep order.

Especially with a dog that needs a strong leader and if
    the dog feels the leader is weak they try to lead.

Sometimes people forget that a dog is a dog. A dog needs
    simple rules of the pack. When the dog knows what is expected
    and they know how they are to behave they are never
    dangerous. If there are no rules they feel they need to
    lead and this can be dangerous if they way they lead is
    by biting or harming.

Dogs need a hiarchy. And some dogs feel the need to
    constantly challenge whom they view as the 2nd or 3rd,
    or even 8th on the totem pole. Dogs that have dominate
    issues can bite. And a dominate dog that feels important
    or that he needs to move up the totem pole can be difficult.
    He/she dominates other dogs, family members and even
    strangers.

My focus is on boxers.
    I worry about boxers getting a bad rap because of poor
    training. Many sad stories of a boxer that has to be put
    down from biting a child or adult stems from lack of
    training, mistunderstandings and confusion for the dog.

Have my dogs ever slept on my bed?

You bet. I have had many a nap with my dogs. My dogs
    are very old and when they were young I did not. I had
    to be sure they knew they were below my children on the
    pecking order.

I hope this explains my view and please know I cheer
    you on for your dog cuddles. enjoy your furry friends.
    Sleeping with dogs is perfectly fine if you do not have
    any issues. Go for it. Enjoy them they are on our earth
    such a short time.
    ~boxerpups

Here is a link that might be useful: Humane Society on Dominate Dogs

• ironcook
    13 years ago

thanks, boxerpups. :)

i totally understand where you are coming from with the training, which is why i was concerned. this is only the second dog i've ever owned, so i'm learning still, too.

i always joke that dog training is actually for the human. we are actually the ones that need the discipline.

isn't there a saying like, "there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners"? your posts have a lot of wisdom. thank you.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Another issue that can be serious with dominate dogs is who eats first. In the dog world, the leader eats first. As a result, because my dogs eat in the house, they have to lay down in their space while dinner is being served. They eat after the humans do.

I didn't see it the first time I read this thread, but Boxerpups also recommends the books by The Monks of New Skete - these are really excellent books for training. Ironcook, you are correct - the humans need to be trained at least as much as the dogs.

• bluemoongirl
    13 years ago

We raise puppies (goldens, labs and shepherds - there are occasional boxers, although we haven't reaised one)for Seeing Eye, and many of the points that boxer raisers are Seeing Eye tenents, too. Dogs need discipline and love in equal measure. They can easily be trained to eliminate in one place (easier for the blind person), and can be taught not to bark incessantly. Seeing Eye puppies are also delivered to families the day they turn 7 weeks old. As posters above stated, a badly behaved dog is almost always the fault of the human. Good luck!

• lilydixie
    13 years ago

So when my MIL puts her dog on a chair, then sits herself down on the floor and SPOON feeds her dog her dinner, that's not a good thing???!!!!

• holligator
    13 years ago

When we were researching breeds, we seriously considered Boxers, but we went with Great Danes (and later English Mastiffs, as well). Boxers and Danes are very similar in temperament, as they are both "working" breeds of German origin, but we went with the lazier, less active Dane. I'm sure we would have loved having Boxers, too, given how wonderful the many we've known have been.

Boxerpups gives you some wonderful advice, and I'd suggest you follow it carefully. Finding the right breeder is the hardest part. Good breeders do thorough genetic testing (not just vet checks), so find out which genetic problems are common in your breed and expect that your pup's parents would both be tested for those issues and certified by the appropriate organization. When you contact a good breeder, expect to be grilled. Don't be offended, be glad. In fact, if they don't ask you more questions than you ask them, walk away. Good breeders care deeply about where every pup they produce ends up and what happens to it for its entire life. They would rather keep an entire litter for life than let one pup go to an irresponsible owner. The breeders who don't know what they're doing are the ones who will be anxious to make the sale. Don't respond to newspaper or Craigslist ads for puppies. Those tend to be the worst breeders, who will sell their pups to anyone who has the cash in hand. You can find responsible breeders through breed clubs, but don't assume all breeders registered with their club are good. Do your homework and find someone you can really trust.

I'd like to echo ae2ga's recommendation of books and DVDs by Dr. Ian Dunbar. He is the originator of the trend of puppy training and the founder of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. Trainers used to insist that it was important to wait until a puppy was at least six months old before initiating training. Dunbar recognized how ludicrous this was and began his Sirius Puppy Training program. He has both a DVM and a PhD in Animal Behavior. His methods are consistently positive, and I've found them much more effective than the punishing "corrections" advocated by some trainers--even for controlling very large, powerful, and stubborn dogs. We've had 11 very large dogs over the past 25 years, each well over 100 pounds, and we've never had to do an "alpha roll" or use any other harsh techniques because we started early and consistent training with Dunbar methods.

Back when I was competing in obedience in the late 80s, I attended a Dunbar seminar and have been a huge fan ever since. When we were breeding (we only have rescues now), we would send each puppy home with a copy of his Sirius Puppy Training video. Check his web site for upcoming seminars--they are well worth it! Since you are doing your homework now, I especially recommend his book called Before You Get Your Puppy. His site has a bunch of other free advice books and pamphlets for download, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sirius Puppy Training

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Ironcook,
    Yes! Yes, I think it was Barbra Woodhouse.
    My Grandmother loved this woman. I think my
    grandmother even met her at a function.
    ~boxerpups

"I can train a dog in five minutes. It's training the owner that takes longer." BW

"Dogs understand your moods and your thoughts, and if you are thinking unpleasant things about your dog, he will pick it up and be downhearted." BW

"The dog has an enviable mind; it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty." BW

"I have caught more ills from people sneezing over me and giving me virus infections than from kissing dogs." BW

Holligator,
    I love Danes. Danes are the gentle giants of the world.
    And I could not agree with you more, they have similar
    sweet dispositions to boxers. Boxers are bit more goofy
    but they are both wonderful dogs to be owned by.
    ~boxerpups

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I would like to cosign Holligator and Boxerpup on finding a good breeder. It's super important. For shiba's, they're called "breeders of merit", and they meet very particular requirements. Check the official breed organization's website.

You should also know you may have to wait to find a puppy from a good breeder. Not always - it is possible to find a breeder who has a puppy available right away, but usually because a good breeder is concerned about his/her dogs, they plan litters to consider the health of the dogs' they do not constantly breed litter after litter. The breeder will definitely ask you a host of questions - be prepared - because it's about what's best for the puppy.

Congratulations and good luck!

• CheriPatrice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback y'all. We won't be making a decision for a little bit yet. I will announce if/when we make a decision.
    ~Cheri

• leel
    13 years ago

We had a boxer for 9 years. We adopted him when about a year old from a family being transferred overseas. Definitely a lap dog--all 90 lbs of him! Wonderful w/ children--used to have one neighbor kid who'd knock and ask if the dog could come out & play--he'd lie on the floor with one of our kids' head on his chest. Great watch dog. But they do DROOL--everytime he'd shake, the walls were spattered. But we LOVED him.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

CherieP, you are just starting out and you will bond with
    your boxer. I just know it. Please know that all I wrote
    above is my passion for protecting these beautiful
    fur friends. I know you will be good to your dog. I do not
    want to talk you out of one of the greatest breeds on
    the planet. You will truly adore your boxer. Please forgive
    me if I came across like a KNOW it all. Next to kitchens
    boxers are my passion. I feel the need to mother all the boxers out there.
    ~boxerpups

My favorite boxer photograph

Leel,
    Your story is adorable. You are beyond wonderful to adopt
    a boxer. Thank you from boxer fans everywhere. I love that
    the neighbor child wanted to play with your dog. That is
    a true boxer dog.

A well bred boxer doesn't usually drool. All the boxers
    I have grown up around had mouths that closed properly.
    No drool, wetness or anything like that. Although one we
    had could have used braces. And oh BOY did some snore.
    ; )

But, they all had FLATULANCE. Prepare yourself for this.
    It is hard to believe such a lovely creature can pass
    gas like a frat boy. One of dogs will on ocassion pass
    gas and turn around with a look on his face that says
    "Who did that?" We laugh as it was him!

Even though I made it sound like boxers can be dominate,
    please know that all the boxers I grew up with and all the
    boxers I have been around in my lifetime were gentle,
    loving, silly, fun, always careful around babies and
    truly a perfect pet for families. I can not imagine a better
    dog for an active family with little ones.

~boxerpups

And one more cute picture..

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor