Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT, but this is my favorite forum

Posted by betsyhac (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 11:48

How should I handle an ingratiating friend?
I have a longtime friend who always tries to pay for everything. It annoys the hell out of everyone. I know she means well, but she does it as a result of her own insecurity. It has nothing to do with income; and, in fact, in the past, I've made more money than she does. Buying someone a drink here and there is completely different. She's a doormat. Her son takes advantage of her. Her ex took advantage of her. To me, it's insulting that she thinks she needs to "buy my friendship." I've tried saying nicely not to do it; I've even gotten mad. I once threw a $20 bill out the window, because she wouldn't let me pay my fair share of a bill. Any suggestions?
Thx and I apologize if you hate that I posted this question here,
B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT, but this is my favorite forum

I would tell her exactly what you said here. You really can't have a real friendship with someone like that. The relationship is lopsided.

Had this happen to me. I got mad and told the person it was embarrassing and that I wasn't going out with her any more if it didn't stop. She said but she "wants" to do these things. I said everything was not about her. It bothered me so I wasn't going to allow it to happen anymore. Tough love but it worked. I also learned to let some stuff go.

hth

o

I don't know if you're still coming back to check responses or not. But, if you want a lot of responses - click onto the Home Decorating forum from the kitchen forum and then click onto the conversation section of the home decorating forum. Unlike this conversation section, the conversation side of the home decorating forum is extremely active and you will get a ton of responses and suggestions. Just a thought.

o

blfenton, thx much. I will keep that in mind for future stuff.
Betsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here