Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV11!

solman
13 years ago

Oh Limit Schlimit!

My time flies when you're having a ball!

I mean if there were that many King Louis's then who's to say there can't be that many Mexican Kitchen's?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part XV1 of this thread.

Comments (150)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Missy, I'm going with a friend tomorrow, but I don't think the shipping expense would be worth it to send you any.

Thanks for the kind words, but I just pulled out some of the interesting ones from that website. I don't have the personality to deal with those people anyway. :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Steff, exactly! Van Luit! Have you seen Brocade? (The people who make flocked foil look cool...)

Solman got a new toilet. :)

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!!!! Toilet!

Plllog you're being very naughty today- we won't even count that as a vote.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Stef-no pun intended on the bathroom reno.

It's rectangular.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Something very useful and that we like to use everyday.
    It's rectangular.

{{gwi:1545549}}

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog-You'll be staying in after school. I warned you.

• plllog
    13 years ago

But, DAD!! It's RECTANGULAR!!!!!

My first guess was the oven, but the toilet is way cooler.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

A new toilet's fine - as long as it isn't in the new kitchen!

LOL @ the square toilet.

Thanks plllog - you're likely right re shipping.
    Good idea Steff! I've never thought to shop and have things sent home - I've always brought things home with us.

Solman - uhhhhhh rectangular fridge? sink? mirror?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It can be picked up.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog- You know we can stay here in the school all night don't you?

I've told all the girls there's not gonna be any Sass in my class.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

That toilet is just too funny! Great timing, plllog.

Guess #2: Solman ordered an induction portable unit.

Brocade really has me thinking that it would be fun to do something in the closet. I wonder if that curvy, silver leaf lingerie chest I saw a few months ago is still available? The closet planning is a good diversion from just trying to keep the upstairs shower from ending up downstairs.

Missy - Just thinking there's not much room on a motorcycle.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Almost forgot to thank plllog for the scone recipe. What scone recipe? Well, the one I made up this morning following her baking directions.

I've made them before so this time I just combined the ingredients, tasted, adjusted, and baked without consulting a written recipe. The result was very good.

• plllog
    13 years ago

LOL!! Steff, I'm so glad they came out so well!! Last night I put biscuit topping on my chicken pie and it had been so long since I'd made biscuits I actually looked it up! They didn't rise or even bake. The pie part came out fine. The biscuit "lid" did its thing, but I've never seen anything not bake like that. Maybe I should have kept the book closed? Really glad the scones came out.

BTW, curvy, silver leaf lingerie chest sounds totally fab!!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All this scone talk is getting me hungry.

Looks like we've got a couple of Bakers on board.

How about some good Roggenbrot?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog-I hope there's a limit per customer in that Le Crueset sale today.

So what did you get us?

We now await with all eyes open in anticipation....

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Anticipation

• plllog
    13 years ago

Duck.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Peking

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vegetarians rejoice!

• plllog
    13 years ago

DUCK!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

• plllog
    13 years ago

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woooo It's a Ferrari!

C'mon what else?

Plllog-I noticed the entire back end of the Jeep sagging when you rolled in just now.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dinner's on Plllog tonight, no doubt about it.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

That's beautiful!

Ooh, I'm definitely ready to go especially since there's a sale on during May.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Not just the sale, but they had an extra discount on unboxed pots because they're about to remodel.

Psst! Sol!! Guess what?

• plllog
    13 years ago

• steff_1
    13 years ago

I was just looking at those online today! Trying to decide if that would work for me or not.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ancient Chinese Secret.

(see I knew you had more, stuffed under the back seats)

Thanks Plllog! You shouldn't have. You really know how to win over a man's heart.

Now outta my way, fire up that there German Missle launcher thing of yours and let me get at this thing.

It's Chicken with Black Bean Sauce on rice tonight.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stef- You don't think these carefully controlled tormenting leaks from LA are linked to a Le Crueset Marketing scheme do you?

And suddenly based on these little teasers, we've already got the car idling on the driveway and ready to pull out!

SIGH;;;;, that girl, I'll tell ya.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!!! Stef- I was on the phone too.

Wouldn't it be ROTL if you, me, and Missy all ended up with our Le Cruesets this month?

Then we'd be all a happy and fit Le Crueset family!

Here is a link that might be useful: Not Bad For 2 Hours

• steff_1
    13 years ago

There's still time to make it for the Victoria Day Sale. I've been to Grove City Outlets a number of times. It's a nice mall and a pretty area. No sales tax on clothes or shoes adds to the bargain.

I thought it would be more than two hours for you so that's pretty good. Our running joke is that the best way to drive across Canada is to take I-80. We came up with that while trying to drive across New Brunswick on the Trans-Canada Highway. You can sing "Follow the Only Road" only so many times, eh?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Le Creuset girl today was really sweet. Told me nice little stories about the town, the shop, her house reno. We were both LOL!! when I told her that I don't even have a stove/oven- Kitchen! Her story was even better. She doesn't have a house yet but bought her Le Cruesets.

Oh, I'm sooo tired (long story to be revealed later and yes related to the BIG surprise) but loved today's laughs.

Plllog, at least get me a better spatula for the wok please. We're going camping this weekend, remember?

Nightee Nightee.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

So there's more to see at the outlet than cookware?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Hi! I'm home again and Solman's already gone to bed. Guess he's adjusting to camping time. I mostly got the wok because a) it's cool looking, b) it doesn't have that long handle that some have that just looks wrong to me, c) while I don't generally like the textured black enamel, it does seem more right in a wok, d) it's shaped like the inside out ones, and I can more easily see myself using it, and, most of all, e) I couldn't not for the price or else kick myself forever after. Especially since I doubt I'll be buying so many other pots so soon seeing as I got three just for cooking in. The goose pot and the wok may end up my favorite pots, but right now I'm thinking art. :)

The other pots are a smaller braiser than mine, which I adore, but is sometimes just too big, and two of the skillet lidded saucepans. I've used the saucepan more since I've had the induction than ever before. When they came out with the different sizes I was going to buy them but they had the black textured enamel in the skillet part and I hate that. At the outlet they had the old fashioned almond color smooth enamel. No little ones, but I have the saucier now, and my little de Buyer blini pans, but I got an orange one like my red one and a red one a size bigger. I had originally intended to get a 3 qt. dutch oven. I don't have any round dutch ovens! But the bigger saucepan is 3.75 qt. so I just got that. I can get a dutch oven anywhere if I think I really need one.

Can you tell I'm very tickled with my new pots? I hope they'll all fit in the drawers! They should. They're roomy. And I think my oval dutch oven will fit in the goose pot. :) Kitchen is still torn up so I can't put them away yet.

Steff, do you mean the Le Creuset outlet? How do you define "cookware"? They had a dutch oven on an induction hob at the cash-wrap with onions and herbs simmering to make the place smell French and yummy, and they were playing Edith Piaf. They have a bookcase of cookbooks, and some not-on-sale other company cutlery and a few similar accessories. And Le Creuset pots, stoneware and accessories. I got some little stoneware baking dishes. I've been looking for some for awhile and have mostly found the wrong shape and size or the wrong price. Outlet price with big honkin' sale attached? Right sizes, pretty colors, nice shaped in detailing, and very right price.

Hm... I think someone had too much fun. But guess who has a dishwasher now and doesn't have to wash all of them (and the pyrex containers from the Corning store) by hand?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Solman's already gone to bed."

Yeah, but I still peek under the sheets.

And I can hear you and Stef and Missy doin the Boogie in the Living Room and celebrating today's Le Creuset Outlet Sale heist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everybody Gettin Down

• steff_1
    13 years ago

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Plllog, those are great. You had a really good day at the outlet. That's the best when there are things are on your list and on sale. Throw in a couple of things you just plain want and it's well work the trip. I'm hoping there's something left by the time I get there.

The outlet sounds lovely, too. My "cookware" comment was a reference to Solly's friendly conversation with the associate at the outlet in Grove City and that he seems even more enthusiastic about the trip now. Just sounded like something else was cookin'.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So there's more to see at the outlet than cookware? My "cookware" comment was a reference to Solly's friendly conversation with the associate at the outlet in Grove City and that he seems even more enthusiastic about the trip now. Just sounded like something else was cookin'.

ROTL!!! Stef

Oh oh, looks like i've been a little naughty.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And Buenos Dias en este Cinco de Mayo.

What happened last night? When I came down this morning, all I saw was confetti, empty Champagne flutes, Casseroles, empty shopping bags, and CD's everywhere. Looks like you girls were really boogying and without me:(

That's so sweet Plllog. Hey isn't it nice when you can still have that 'kid with a new toy' feeling? What I like is enjoying the happiness of others. And it saves you lots of money :) Though not in our case if we all file off to the Le Crueset Outlet LOL!!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stef- I kid you not. All the way, until this morning, I was in the deepest sleep possible with a long dream that I don't dare even mention. But there was definitely enough content for a good Hollywood script.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreaming Is Free

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog- last night was just the warm up. Tonight's the real fiesta!

So what are you girls wearing today for Cinco de Mayo?

Are we having a Garden Party or do we all go to...Chipotles!

While you're deciding, I'm off to pick up the Cervezas-SOL

Here is a link that might be useful: SOL Brings Happiness

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh! Steff, I'm still getting used to the snark from your corner. :) I noticed the same thing but was too slow on the uptake re your comment. (hee)

When I was a kid we did Ballet Folklórico for Cindo de Mayo. Much more fun than commercial beer fests.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog, that sounds really beautiful. Did you wear one of those big swirling frilly dresses and all?

I still race at any chance to see Ballet Folklorico whenever in Mexico.

My favorite is in Merida, Yucatan where they close the streets around the Zocalo and have stunning shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dresses!

• plllog
    13 years ago

When we were kids we just wore bright colors. They didn't want the parents to be obligated for costumes. I'm talking about in school, not dance class. When I was in Mexico in college and taking dance classes, short skirts were in. That is below the knee but not floor length. And we wore them with plain peasant blouses. No embroidery. Just ribbons on the flounce. I think it was meant as anti-colonial, and to be less quaint. Even though the skirts flirt the same way as the long ones do, they could otherwise have just been stylish skirts of the time. I think I still have mine somewhere. One is turquoise with red and white ribbons and lace. The other is a black and white print with white ribbons.

We did really really traditional for one show, and more interesting ones for the other, but it's the traditional ones I remember best. I knew Jesusita En Chihuahua from school but we did the bridge in Mexico. :) And we did the real version of Jarabe Tapatio instead of the one everyone everywhere learns in school. And La Culebra, which is one of my very favorites. And a showpiece to Guadalajara. I don't remember the more intricate, less trite ones though.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

So it's SOL for Solly. The party is outdoors of course. Simple fare on the menu. Carne Guisada, tortillas, rice, beans, and beer.

GW does not speak Spanish and keeps underlining the words as misspelled.

Those dances sound like a lot of fun, plllog. I remember learning some dances in school, but don't remember any details.

Love those dresses. I remember a family day trip to Ciudad Juarez when I was in grade school and we all got those bright cotton dresses with lace and ruffles. I loved that dress until I grew out of it all too quickly. In college I wore the embroidered blouses with jeans. I still have an amazing red wool jacket with felt applique and stitching. It's a real beauty and I should really display it somehow.

You still see the dresses everywhere during Fiesta, but not much otherwise. The little ones who already know the different steps for each dance are especially fun to watch.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

O good grief - I'll say it again - you all talk alot!! :o)

I see I've missed (another) party, fiesta dresses, Solman flirting with salesgirls, and lots of shopping!

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Speaking of shopping - Would you kindly US peeples tell me if these prices are similar to what you pay for them on sale down there?
    thankuverymuch!

Here is a link that might be useful: le creuset sale

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

AHA - I see I missed Steff being snarky too!!!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Solman flirting with salesgirls

Missy-Was not!

Just interested in her wares. Cookwares :)

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

bad Solly!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Missy,

It's hard to tell for sure. According to Solman US and Candian dollars have been around parity recently. The outlet prices on my receipt, some of which are for seconds, are a little lower than the ones on the linked site, just straight number comparison. One was the same price right on, and it might be first quality (it's still in the garage so I can't just check). That one was 25% less than Amazon, which is equally significantly less than list. But that's all before the 40% off pre-remodel sale I lucked into, or the 25%-35% off graduated sale (buy more get bigger percentage off). Oh! Wait! The wok is first quality. They have the cobalt as more than the other colors, which surprises me since it's the black one that comes with the spiffy, ouchy stainless knob, but it's a few dollars more than the base price of mine. Pretty close.

In other words, doesn't touch the outlet sale, but equivalent to a retail sale or the outlet regular price, taking dollars as even.