Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV1!

solman
13 years ago

As Spring descends upon us, we enter the land of the rising Mexican Sun.

Feliz Primavera!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part XV of this thread.

Comments (149)

• plllog
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Solman! I didn't get the invitation until after the plane left, and it takes longer than that for a girl to get ready for a trip to Cambodia!

Good point about the phone...though the leak makes me think the basic case design is set pending blog chatter.

But no to your anti-leak theory. The demand letter proves that the phone really belonged to Apple. Gizmodo said they wouldn't give the phone back without that proof. The lockout/wipe is standard practice when people lose their phones. Remote Wipe is part of MobileMe and sent by the user. You can have it too! Your mule theory makes sense, though.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For the "poor, smelly Backpacker." If they only knew how easy they've got it. SHEESH:;;;

SIGH - Can you imagine if we had this?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Modern Backpacker

• plllog
    13 years ago

What kind of backpacker can afford an iPhone??? That's not some poor, smelly backpacker. That's some rich kid living off Daddy who's reserving his spot at the cool hostels because that's where the hot girls are, not because he needs a break from sleeping on the beach, and a shower.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!! Exactly!

Plllog that was pretty poetic not to mention dead on.

Say I've got one (actually many) to share but this one's a beauty. On my VERY FIRST backpacking trip I did Greece. Upon arrival at one of the islands, slight problem, NO ACCOMODATION! And there I meet cool Jason from yup, California. We were the cool guys sleeping on the second floor of a construction site, without walls and all. Nice thing was we didn't need an alarm clock because in Greece, the Sun rises at like 5 A.M !
    Not quite like that dreamy iPhone ad.

And come to think of it, you discover the best eating places, photo ops etc. en route to looking for Hostels and such, not to mention the local Hotties ;)

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Solman! I didn't get the invitation until after the plane left, and it takes longer than that for a girl to get ready for a trip to Cambodia!

Cute.

No Silly! I've booked you into serious 5 star luxury on Koh Kood so there's no need for "prepping" prior. The Hair, the nails, mud wraps, facials, steam, hot stone, Thai Massage, foot massage for your poor little feet, toes pampering, Sarong, Bikini etc. will all be taken care of when you get there.

You'll completely forget about the nasty digging straps from your second hand backpack in Austria.

• plllog
    13 years ago

[laughs hysterically] I haven't worn a bikini since the '70's. No thanks. Can't stand strangers touching me so all that spa stuff sounds miserable. Just hideous. No wonder I slept past take off time!!

You still get props for offering. I know you thought it was a pleasant, girly thing. I'll take an RV in the Rockies, thanks. We could go see Missy.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

[hysterical laughter continues] I'm the same way about spa services. Would not find it relaxing at all.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So looks like our girls are roughies.

Missy-We've rented the RV and were coming to Alberta to visit you.

First stop Moraine Lake - Banff National Park

Here is a link that might be useful: Off To See Missy's Window!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ladies and Gentlemen we have reached new heights.

The Canadian Dollar is officially worth more than the US- finally! ;;;SIGH.

On your mark
    Get set
    SHOP!---I mean Travel.

Missy- sorry but sudden change of plans. Your country is now too expensive for us folks. So, maybe we WAVE::;;; happily as we pass through Alberta on the way to Alaska!

I'll catch the flying salmon as they leap out of the water! Plllog you can cook them on the Le Cruesets, and Stef we'll leave the table preparation up to you based on your cutie in front of the window at home.

Missy-you can come and visit us for dinner on your honkin Suzi. We'll let the RV Park know we're expecting a Canadian biker chick.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Correction to above:

I'll catch the flying Salmon with my bare hands as they leap out of the water!

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Well crap, I was all set to roll out the welcome mat, but alas and alack, I guess y'all are heading North. On the other hand, a road trip sounds fun. :oD
    My DH was saying just yesterday we should plan for a longish one this summer. :O)
    I'm with ya on the spa thing - never really 'got' it, although a good backrub/massage can be sooooooo wonderful when a person is sore from too much work or play.
    On the dance class subject - my son did not meet his GF there, but I do think it helped with his self-confidence level and helped him overcome shyness.
    Those sheets look lovely!! Now, I only need to find the spare change lying around haha.
    On another note - I think spring is truly here. I took off the flannel sheets and put on the summer sheets (yay). I dug out my clothes line and hung the washing out - love it! There's something so fresh about line dried laundry. :o)

• plllog
    13 years ago

There's a pretty nice RV park in Revelstoke. :) At least there was last time I was up that way. Moraine Lake looks just like your picture, but I'm allergic to Banff, so I'll wait for you in Calgary. :) The salmon sounds interesting, but you better get Steff to cook it. I can eat fish caught that day (otherwise allergic), but haven't a clue how to cook it.

Re catching them, watch the bears. You have to stand in the water and scoop as the go by, flinging them up on the shore.

Wow! Missy, the tides of spring sound lovely!

The voice of the arrival of Spring around here is not the robin redbreast. Nay! It is the voice of Vin Scully calling play by play of the Dodger game on the radio as people work on their cars or in their gardens.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm. So Plllog, let me get this straight. You want me to get in the mucky, ice cold water, with my spankin new WHITE Brazilian Hawaiana's and Linen Capris, and stand beside some mean, hungry Bear with bad salmon breath?

Then he gives me that look that if I don't scram and get off his turf-fast-I'll be his desert!

I could just see it. Suddenly Missy rolls in, asks you and Stef, where's Solly? Both of you point to the Bear, wide eyed, in there. As in inside his belly :(

So much for Summer Holidays

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Correction... Happy Summer Holidays.

• plllog
    13 years ago

GOOD GRIEF!!! Solman, do NOT get in the river with Grizzly B'ars!!!! Just learn to fish from them.

And wear your waders, not your tropicals. have you ever been in the Rockies in the Summer? It's like L.A. in February. Not really white linen area, especially camping. Jeans. Flannels. Waders.

Or forget the bare handed fishing thing--which YOU volunteered for--and just buy some nice fresh caught salmon from the pros.

But, Solly? Those grizzly b'ars? They've never been to a desert. They wouldn't mistake you for a xeriscape. And they'd rather eat salmon in their native habitat.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh! Sol! Saw an iPad in use today. Too big and heavy for the woman handling it. Pulling it out of bag, trying to turn it on and pull up the relevant website, etc.

As opposed to when I was in a department store elevator and the three other passengers were doing whatever on their iPhones. One gal had it on top of the the clear vacuform salad box she was taking up to the break room for her lunch, texting, I think. One had bags, etc., but was still navigating. I didn't see what the third was doing. All were in control, and could still hold their other stuff.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Plllog! Nice 20-20 investigative work. Makes sense. Funny, I mean spooky, how you mentioned it. Last night I was at the Apple Store looking at the Pad again and seemed to walk away from it. As in the thrill has worn off?
    My initial impression too- somehow too big and solid and heavyish. See what you did? Then I went over to your little cutie iPhone's-likee likee alot.

Then I went over to the 13" Macbook Pro. Nice.

At the end of those 3, the Pad was #3.

1. Won't take my accounting program *****

2. No Adobe Flash support. Most Internet sites are loaded with Adobe Flash

3. For Travel, the iPhone does it all better and phones and texts.

4. Heavyish and big enough that you need another bag so it's another thing to carry on top of the iPhone.

By the way, the Toronto Star had a huge front page photo article on the iPhone 4G leak. If this was a controlled leak thing, it's certainly getting serious airplay maybe world wide. But I really really like the size form factor. The lost mule has a kind of elegance, more chic, top end Nokia look to it as opposed to a gadget look of past.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Ahah!! You like the Finland thing!

I actually have not been fond of the whole candy bar phone shape. Actually, loved my little Motorola flip phone. Very Star Trek. The current iPhone is also very Star Trek, like a "pad", but not great holding slab to ear. But who does that? No one I know. Some actually use the earphones/mic that comes with it. Most use a bluetooth ear shell. Doesn't matter about the slab thing. The shorter wider shape is easier for small hands to hold, IMO.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sol?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog-How's your poor head? Rainy and drizzly and yuck here. Your worst nightmare.

Hope everybody had a nice weekend. I was in a mini funk this weekend.

Lupi in Mexico gave me "the news". With a smile and such good Mexican cheer she said "We reached Mango and Pina!" but we're still trying for your Yellow.

Got Carpenter to drop off all the Kitchen trim- THANK GOD- that was at his place. Lesson #2, never let a Contractor take your work off premises in case of dispute or fallout. I felt almost sick looking at the bad stain job and the thought of stripping it all back to bare wood.

I really have to psyche myself up to get this Kitchen Reno back to the finish line. This Carpenter thing combined with the drywall guy who suddenly disappeared (luckily without pay) seemed to deflate my Kitchen balloon.

Solly's sails need just to be reignited. Even contemplated short exit from Canada to regroup.

P.S. Maybe I should smile after my lucrative Euro currency purchase today at ridiculously low prices. Yayyy!...FINALLY.

Stef-Missy you didn't get eaten by that bad assed Grizzy Bear in our Alaska Trailer Park did you?

• steff_1
    13 years ago

A break can be good when things bog down. If your kitchen is functional, focus on something else for a while. Not fun to go through the contractor selection process all over again.

And then there are the tiles. At least they are still working on them and you are on hold with the kitchen.

Saw the ipad on display today at the mall. Very nice, fast, and fun. It looks like a good size for working or reading while in a fixed spot. More portable than a laptop, it would still be kinda heavy in the tote bag.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the cheer Stef.

Glad you liked the Pad.

Get this. The USA only demand is so great, the Panel Suppliers LG and newly added Samsung cannot meet current demand, let alone outside of USA demand.

Yes it is beautiful and the IPS screen is downright magnificent. Same screens used on high end EIZO Graphics Monitors for two grand. Hard to believe Steve gives you this for $499. What I admire about Jobs is that he could have done a good enough for now release but he went for the outright home run. A product that is so well built of such high components that it will leave all the me too followers shaking with fright. As usual, the Acers, Googles, HP's, Dell wannabees etc. will enter the competition on price. Not so sure that will work either as it seems like the world already thinks the $499 iPad is a steal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Present For Stef The Picker Upper :)

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For our ever clever Cali forn i a girl who never foolishly wastes money on silliness.

This stand is .69 cents at Office Depot. Love that set up huh?

And now you can't say that I try to impress the girls by how much I spend on them :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Advil. Works wonders. And Claritin for the Springness of it all. Thanks for asking.

Oooh! Solly, I love the little plastic gizmo!!! Thanks!!

And yes, clever is more impressive than expensive.

Though I did see a Bugatti go by on a flatbed the other day and it was very cute. Not a tow type. From a Beverly Hills motor transport company that specializes in toting your Bugatti (or even plebian Rolls Royce) from here to there. I suppose I'd be impressed if someone gave me one of those. (It's worth more than my house, land included.) But, of course, then I'd think he was an idiot, and that I'd be more impressed if he gave me a Chevy and a nice piece of real estate.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Love those photos. I really would love to build cabinets that way. So authentic, but inefficient to use and a lot of lost space. Great tile pattern in the last one.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG! love the little treatsie from from LA.

Look at that last one!!!! I seriously love it. Hmm lots of White.

Brown doors under sink. Plllog, We're still painting the screen sink doors and screen White right? I know you won't let me have the Brown beams. Mind you there are 3 heavy wood door frames and a massive window frame all in a little 10x10 foot room.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pssst. OK haven't given up yet.

Just hired one of my summer Students to strip this coming Saturday.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, thank goodness!! Solly hired a stripper.

The last photo was labelled Mexican-German (as in the influences of the people who's kitchen it is). Hence the white.

The reason for the white doors under the sink was to make them blend with the cabinets, and to leave the original woodwork's integrity. The whole should you go rustic pine thing. If you had actual rustic pine doors and wanted to put them under the sink, it would be fine, but that lattice needs painting. You don't have to do the green if you want to wimp out. :)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Yes, that stripper should cheer your mood a bit!

Are we going to start evaluating other tile options yet?

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! Steff, I just popped in here to tell you to check your email inbox. :-)

Hasta luego todo el mundo!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Thanks MV. I sent you a message.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that stripper should cheer your mood a bit!

Umm yeah I figured that would be a good lift to make my spirits rise.

Plllog I've heard of unorthodox but that German Mexican Kitchen and putting a Hood over a window and the sink offset to face the wall! What were they smoking?

C'est la vie.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Well my old kitchen had the cooktop under the window. I put a hood over it. What they were thinking was let's vent this sucker!!! I know. Been there.

Why the rest of it is the way it is? It is strange. Might be limitations on where they could put plumbing.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Though I did see a Bugatti go by on a flatbed the other day and it was very cute

So Plllog, I see you've got a little weakness in the knees for sexy wheels huh.

From Top Marques in Monaco last weekend. Thanks to Carl.

The White Alfa Romeo "Competitione" below. I believe has my name on it. Amore Italia!!!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey guys,

I was just thinking the Subject above should have been "Colorful Italian Sports Cars" instead of Colorful Mexican Kitchens.

Just my 2 cents worth. Mind you, 2 cents wouldn't get you too much in those heart throbbing beauties. I mean the pathetic US Dollar, correction the US Cent, isn't even worth a Euro Penny. LOL!!!! (GULP- neither is the $ CDN)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, very cute, Solman!! I like. Check out the tailpipes on that red one! Molto Bene!! No room for groceries, though.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Rain? I sure have been feeling like it was going to rain. Today was nasty foggy. (May gray to the max.) So the teaser for the news said a big storm is coming, but all the weather service sites say low probability of precipitation, some wind, and beautiful weather. Whom to believe?? My head says rain. G'night.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Silly, will you stop with the groceries thing. We don't do those anymore. That's so LA.

We live in Monaco now! The Laundress, the cook etc. can take care of such foolishness. We'll let them use the Benz to pick those up from Carrefour.

First things first, we need to design the new Mediterranean Kitchen for the new Monaco Apt. Love the ocean view!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mademoiselle Plllog,

It will be waiting upon your arrival to Monaco.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bienvenu a Monaco

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh! I wondered where we were!! That explains the fog. Ocean View comes with fog. And they just admitted that it's really not going to rain here (that's up north) but my head still hurts.

If we have a laundress can we have the sheets?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Stef- I think the Apt. is like Time Share so you and DH can saunter in whenever Pllog's homesick from her funky new Asian tiles.

Me, I'll NEVER leave. Promise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steff's Packed And Off

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mademoiselle Plllog,

It will be waiting upon your arrival to Monaco.

Bienvenu a Monaco

• plllog
    13 years ago

Yes, yes, the Alfa. But what about my Bugatti?

And must it be Monaco? All those tennis players!

Couldn't we do Umbria instead? Or Venezia?

Nice is miserable. If you must be on the côte d'azur, I suppose Monaco will do, but wouldn't it be nicer to be in the Dordogne?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If we have a laundress can we have the sheets?

You mean those $2,500 ones, sorry only $1,400 on special?

GASP;;;; OK. You know we live like 2 minutes from the Casino? So, bagging those with a quick game of Poker will be like chicken feed.

Just thought of something. Yes, you can take care of ALL the shopping, please.

I'll be over here when you need me on the iPhone 4G.

(seriously, it is my DREAM to play there one day and almost happened in 2007!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Solly's New Home Away From Home

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, that's okay! I don't mind about people playing tennis! It's just all the pros who aren't rich enough to live in Dubai cluttering the place.

I'll do the shopping, but, really, I'm thinking the nice chateau in the Dordogne will look better with the sheets.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And must it be Monaco? All those tennis players!

A resounding YES!.... please, pretty please.

Oh you need convincing do you? Let me roll up my Canali sleeves and get started.

My best friend Carl lives here. Good reason.

My 3 life desires are all here. Beach. Sun. Ocean. Warmth. Beach. Ocean. Sun. Big Mountain behind beach, 24 hour bullet proof security. Did I mention Ocean? It is the entire Cote D'Azur's best beach. It's actually a designated Marine Park and YES millions of stunning colored fish actually tickle you and egg you on to play. Even my mask gets overwhelmed!

Carrefour- The most stunning Supermarket on the face on the earth.

Our whole country is less than 3 square km's! Think of how toned we'll be walking back and forth.

And don't worry about Venezia or Umbria, we can do those on weekends in the Alfa along with Verona!

And Yes, you can have your Bughatti as the second car.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verona

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did I mention Security?

The entire "Country", every cm, is under careful video watch. Complete with databases of records, license plates, you name it. It is the ONLY place in the entire Cote'D Azur where you can leave your camera/wallet on the beach and even when you return, it WILL be there. I left my camera overnight after a packed Sunday afternoon on the beach!!! REALLY.

Now in the scuz pit a.k.a NICE next door, blink and your belongings are HISTORY!

And now with our new Italian metal, "You Betcha" we need a safe home.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• plllog
    13 years ago

But....Solly!!! I don't want to be surveilled all the time! And those red umbrellas clash with my hair.

I vote for Aquitaine.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dordonge? Chateau. Now that's truly of Big Thinking.

How on earth will I ever find you in there?

Secret tunnels, cellars, towers, I mean isn't it a little "spacious" for 2?

I guess if we do it after about June 8, when the iPhone 4G is reality, we could always text each other to the Dinner Table or should I say to the Dining Hall?

Stef now there's REALLY no problem with you and DH feeling cramped. I mean you could bring the SA neighbourhood if you really want. Depends how well you like "the neighbours".

We could invite Bono (with generous wine incentive) to play for Plllog's Birthday in The Garden. I hope it at least compares to the one at Versailles

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But....Solly!!! I don't want to be surveilled all the time! And those red umbrellas clash with my hair.

ROTL!!! But I was thinking of your Louis Vuitton and Hermes Bags. The last thing I need is some street serpent from NICE snatching them off your tanned shoulders.

OK, I'll check Aquitaine in the morning. But you do realize I plunked the 250,000 Euro deposit on the Monaco Apt. don't you?