Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Stupid poll of the day - User names?

Posted by sugarbreak (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 23:19

Where did you get your user name from? I have always been curious about this.

The name "sugarbreak" is actually what our twins call kisses in our house. If we say sugarbreak or they do we have to stop what we are doing and kiss.

There you have it...completely useless trivia.

Next....

Kirsten

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupid poll of the day - User names?

My birth certificate. LOL

"ceptin it don't have the _ between the names!! :-)

o

Need I say more about mine?

o

My last name, plus my two sons and husband equal LackBoys3.
Catluvr, LOL!

o

My last name and part of the city I was born in and lived for the first 27 years of my life. Berlin, Germany.

o

Another no-brainer! DD lives 3000 miles away; DS lives in an apartment downtown. They're wonderful, loving kids, but would it hurt them to pick up the phone and call more often? :-)

Sue

o

Mine is a combination of my family's initials and we made it up in the year 2000, so...mlaj2000.

o

I'm guilty of having four little ones, hence Proudmamato4. :-)

o

My is simple. One of my dogs is Bessie.
Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Bessiedawg

o

Also off my birth certificate.

o

I'm boring. Sue is my nickname, I was 36 when I registered. I should have been more creative, but I didn't know I'd be sticking around this long.

o

Several years ago I was looking for a new screen name (not just for this forum) and coincidently found one of those square "word a day" desk calendars in my computer desk drawer. I started going through it and found "uxorial" on the page for March 5. It's an adjective meaning "of, relating to, or characteristic of a wife." I thought it was appropriate for me. Not so much the sentence on the calendar page in which the word is used: "At the wedding, Ella's mother cooed, 'She just exudes uxorial beauty--that indescribable aura of confidence and loveliness one sees in an adored and capable wife.'"

Other words I considered:
"wddershins"--in a left-handed, wrong, or contrary direction
"daedal"--skillful, artistic; intricate; adorned with many things
"rantipole"--characterized by a wild unruly manner or attitude; rakish

There was a time in my life when "rantipole" would have been more appropriate as my screen name. Guess I've settled down!

Kathy

o

Comes from (the first part) of my last name, and I'm proud to be...mrsmarv ;o)

o

lowspark of highheeled boys

that's the name of a song by Traffic (this dates me, I know) which happened to be playing in the background a long time ago when I was first asked to come up with a username, on some website, who knows where. I just sort of stuck with it, i like the way it sounds.

o

My Two MOST favorite past times....skiing and drinking wine :)

o

Mine's a no brainer but this is a fun thread.

I always wondered about the meaning of lowspark and uxorial.

Lackboys3, I figured maybe you were mama to 3 girls and still wanted a boy!

o

How cool & how funny! Skivino, I always thought that was your last name :-).

When I first started scouting the kitchen forum for advice & ideas the whole project was so daunting that I'd think kitchen and sigh, either in frustration or out of wistfulness. So there you have it.

I always sign with my real name, though. But we break ground for the addition on Monday, after more than two years of planning, plotting & hoop jumping. And it's going to be another 6 months before the kitchen is done. So maybe I should change my screen name to "shriek", "groan" or "whimper"?

Nina

o

I guess mine is one of those that speaks for itself :) On other (parenting) forums, I've been candygirl (first initial is C, last name starts with 'and', not to mention my penchant for sweets) and cherizbaby but those didn't seem to express my kitchen personality.

o

Well, if any of you east/west coasters would hear me speak two words, you'd know exactly why I chose my user name. I guess you can take a girl out of the south, but you can't take the drawl out of her mouth...

Yall.

o

I really am "at home in 1914." We're in a 1914 Craftsman bungalow & we work hard to keep every inch "athomein1914." Thought it was obvious but maybe not.

We're not keeping a museum but certainly our house is full of pushbuttons & original wood & art glass & our kitchen is so close to the original a visitor recently asked me how I could stand not having a fridge in my kitchen. It's great fun to care for a house so little touched -- we're the third family to live here, and it's our forever home.

o

Lowspark-- I always wondered about that!! I'm a big Stevie Winwood fan, and even have the Traffic CD with that title track (my fifth copy, after 3 cassetes, and one 8 track tape!)!

bessiedawg-- your dog looks like she has a heck of a personality!! Reminds me alot of Gizmo from the movie Gremlins!! LOL

o

Cupofkindness? Well, I suppose I like to think of myself as a kind person. Kindness is just about up there with faith, hope, and love in the virtues department. HOWEVER, I guess if I had to pick a name that really expressed who I am it would be:

"exhaustedmotherofsevenwhoisreallyverytired."

But I think that's too many characters. So what about this name:

"twoyearslaterandmykitchenstillisn'tfinishedyet."

Wait, that's even more characters! Alright, I'll streamline here:

"prolificprocrastinator"

or:

"athomeinchaos"

or my favorite drink and past time:

"coffeeandsleep"

or, if I was to use our pet chinchillas names:

"hugsandkisses"

or geography:

"yellowrose"

I guess I stick with cupofkindness. It's more of a goal for me than the other possibilities, some of which are very incriminating. Thanks for asking!

o

I am an FNP (family nurse practitioner).

o

a Tom Waits song....my favorite song.

o

Wait, jerzeegirl- so you're not really from Jerzee? I did figure out Skivino- but not before I'd wondered- hm, is that Italian or is it Polish?

Sugarbreak- this post was a great idea! I'd wondered about many of these screen names! My all-time favorite is "Weeznuts."

o

Great thread! I had always wondered where some folks had gotten their unusual names.

It's hard to believe but I've been starpooh for almost 9 years!
It started when we were looking for a distinctive email address for our family. So we took a family vote.
My vote was for "tearose" because I love the smell of roses. DH and my then 8-year-old DS voted for "roadkill" because they're both jokesters. My youngest DS voted for "no_nap" because he was still in the "terrible-two's".
So I suggested "starpooh", named after a gorgeous desktop wallpaper that I had found. After much discussion (and whining from you-know-who), we decided that starpooh fit our family.

So... how does it fit with the family today, now that the kids are older? Well my 16 yr old uses my starpooh domain for his Boy Scout troop. All the boys laugh hysterically when he says "starpooh.com". (So do you think he'd spring for a cheap domain name of his own? Nope! Hey.... maybe he likes all the teasing. tee hee).
DH just explains to everyone that I'm nuts.
But my youngest was so cute... he had to create a new username in computer camp last year. He couldn't think of anything else.. except for "starpooh"!

But the funny thing is that I'm not a big fan of the Disney pooh. I much prefer the Classic pooh.

Here is a link that might be useful: starpooh wallpaper

o

When I found this forum we were smack dab in the middle of renovating our whole 2500 sq ft house. Walls gutted to the studs. That was 2 years ago and my husband and I were only 27 years old and our kids were 7 and 10. We didnt know what we were getting in to,but anyways it always helped to remind myself that no matter whats going on in life to always try to smile. Hence smile247. Now Im about to hit the BIG 30 in July (my now pre-teen 12 yr old daughter says Im geting OLD!!) and were STILL working on the remodel,but its nice to have a place where I can find a smile when I need it. :0)

o

Interesting poll!

Cupofkindess - I should have chosen a goal, like you, instead of a self-fulfilling prophecy!!

I picked this name because it seemed like our house, yard, etc... were NEVER done. Since we've been doing major renovations for the last year it has never felt more true!

Maybe I should at least change it to "almostdone"! It sounds more positive. Need to install pulls and backsplash and I can post my DONE kitchen. Hooray!

o

Neverdone: Soon you can change your name to Finallydone! Hooray!

o

I prefer the classic Pooh, too, Starpooh!

msrevise is my 'new' name, and probably more appropriate than my original name. When I joined in dec. 2003, i was 'toomuch' as in doing too much research and being too detail-oriented (which i still am...).

Anyway, 'msrevise' is because i'm a writer, so ms = manuscript, and revise is what i'm always doing (to my kitchen plan as well!). I used to have a cockatiel, and i taught him to say "revise," too.

o

When I was a teen there was a horse I really admired. He wasn't very pretty but he had heart, speed and action to burn. His name was Demi-Cent.

And as I approached 50 years old it just seemed to fit.

Plus Fiddy cent was already taken. ;)

o

How fun!
Many times I have tried to figure out where people came up with their names.

Here's mine: My husband's older brother's name is Bill E---. When he was in school, his buddies started calling him Bill E--- Goodman. (I'm not totally sure why.) They then shortened it to BEG, (he is still called that). My hubby came along and was called little BEG for awhile and then MEG for Mike E--- Goodman. (They also have a younger brother Steve who is called SEG.) Weird. Anyhow, when I was looking for an online name years ago, so many were taken. I figured there wouldn't be much of a run on "Meggswife", so that's what I chose. I have used that name in every imaginable place and it has never been taken. Go figure! *smile* I always wonder what people think it means.

By the way, my name is Stacie, so I'd be SEG too... no thanks! I'm happy to be Meggswife!

Have a wonderful day!
Stacie

o

LOL Stacie, I thought you were in a domestic partnership situation.

We have a kooky name thing in our family too. My father and his 5 brothers all have the same first name with different middle names. I just found out this year, at age 43, when DM mentioned it in passing (joking about his rural Arkansas roots). Of course I know my DF's first name but it never crossed my mind that Uncles J-P, J-dubya(W), J-aura(R) etc carried the same name. Seems I inherited my lack of imagination from Grandmother!

o

Great thread -- I've been wondering about some of those -- Thanks Sugarbreak!

Mine's a contraction of my first (Susan, used to go by Sue) and maiden names. An old boyfriend in college coined the term, and it kinda stuck.

My DH's entire family also goes by their middle names, so last night our 10-year-old son decided he wanted to do that too. He must have been learning about behavior modification in school, because he announced that every time we called him Douglas instead of John, that he would give us a kiss and a fruit snack. DH, who chose 'John', wouldn't play along, but since I was the one that chose 'Douglas', I just loaded up ;-)

o

great post, I've wondered about some of these...

I've had lots of people ask about mine, and it's simple really.

I have 4 names and when I first got online, my email was my 4 initials--nmbf. I always had people asking if the bf meant black female or bi female...LOL!

so I added the second letter of each of my 4 names Na_Ma_Ba_Fo.

ta-da!

o

What a fun thread! I love reading about people's username stories. Wish I had a more original name.

sweeby, my dd (age 5) recently decided she did not want to be Alex any more. She told me she wanted me to call her something else, so I told her to think of a name she liked and I'd call her that all day. She chose Carmen Aloha, lol! Every now and then she has a Carmen Aloha day. I have no idea where she got it.

o

For an art teacher, I guess I'm not very creative!

BTW- I, also, teach 4th grade (reading, writing, math, social studies). I teach 4th grade in the morning and art in the afternoon.

o

What a great thread!
Mine's from my DH...I'm afraid it's what you get for a last name when you marry a Lithuanian.

We got one of those "we found your family crest" advertisements years ago...it had a picture of a cow on the shield...as in Mis-cows-kas..the way our name is pronounced. Everyone in the family got one..we still laugh about it.

o

Marita was a nickname given me by my mother when I was young (a combination of Mary + Rita). I HATED it and began to refuse to respond when I was preteen. I'm actually somewhat fond of it now--at least it is a handle I can remember! Oh, and 40 is just a nice round number :)

o

When my boys (twins) were 8 mo old we had a house fire caused by an explosion in my basement. I grabbed my boys and we got out by the skin of our teeth. My boys happened to be downstairs with me. If they had been upstairs napping, I would have never been able to get them and get us all out of the house.

The fire was caused by a buildup of fumes from an adhesive. The fire investigator said that if it had blown 15 minutes later, instead of when it did, that it would have blown the roof off of the house and we would have all perished.

My sis said that I had an angel on my shoulder looking out for us--so I feel like I am a blessed gal.

o

bmore = baltimore, md. Now the sixth most dangerous place in the usa! We moved up from 15th last year. I was jokin with someone who used to live in colorado that there, all of the road signs out in the country side had bullet holes. Here, the street signs in the city have the bullet holes.

panic = feelings at the thought of having to do cabinets yet again!

o

birth certificate name.

bmorepanic...I am redoing my brand new cabinets for the third time. I'm not trusting another professional to do any painting for me. I'm sick and tired of cleaning up their messes. See, if they mess up, they QUIT.

o

my initials--dc, followed by my professional initials--cnm.

not terribly original I'm afraid.

o

Mine's not terribly original or exciting, but it's a great job to have(and at times the most under-appreciated and difficult one I've ever had).
In my twenties and thirties I didn't want/couldn't imagine myself having children. My mother was totally amazed and confused when I told her I was going to be a father. She was beside herself(but ultimately very supportive), when I told her I was planning to stay home with my son. When he was two months old I took over full time responsibility for his care.
Nearly three years later,when my wife told me she was pregnant with our second child, in a panicky voice she said to me "What are we going to do now? I told her "no problem-you had a great first pregnancy, and this one should be too. And once the baby comes, You'll go back to work and I'll take ever. "Oh yah" she said, "this'll be great"(and it has been).
I guess I'll soon need to change my user name, as I hope to return to work full time before my younger son starts second grade in September. Can't imagine what tuition will cost in seven years.
If anyone has career advice, I'm all ears!

Rich
If anyone has

o

I haven't been here for a while and yet most of the names are so familiar! Hi Stacie (Meggswife) and Kathy (uxorial)!

When my boys were in HS, they made up pet names for each other. My oldest sons last name started with Hop and he managed to get his ears pierced (without my approval) and wore small silver hoops. So Hoopy became his nickname, and still is after 10 yrs! Hence, all his buddies called me Hoopys mom!

o

My name is Elizabeth. My younger brothers couldn't say "Elizabeth" -- it came out "BizBiz"... then shortend to Biz... then as they got a bit older (less cute and more pesky) it morphed to Bizzo. Now my family calls me Biz or Bizzo...

and until my mother asked my sister to teach her children to call me "Aunt Elizabeth" and not Bizzo since, as mom claimed, Elizabeth is what she named me and it is such a beautiful name, all my sister's friends knew me as Bizzo, too (since that's how she referred to me)!

o

Another self-explanatory name. Introducing Blitzen and Voldemort...

Image hosting by Photobucket

When we went to see the greyhounds available for adoption, Blitzen (brindle) through his "arms" around me in a bear hug. When I stopped laughing, I figured I had been adopted.

Note to Bizzo: I am also Elisabeth and when my younger brother couldn't say Elisabeth, it came out "bibbuh", which later became Beeba. (Or really, Beeeeba) I am still Aunt Beeba and my cousins and childhood friends still call me Beeba.

o

User name is my mom's name, Anna Lee, with her last initial F; I selected it because I knew it would make me think of her every time I typed it, so it is a nice quick connection.

o

Adoptedby...

OMG, they are gorgeous! I love greyhounds, such noble dogs & they come in so many flavors! Rotties just come the standard black & tan version (with an occasional red). Look at those faces!

Your story of how Blitzen chose you reminds me of how I found my first rottie, Smidgen. I had been researching the breed & checking out litters for awhile. I went to look at a litter where the mother had refused to nurse her puppies (all 11 of them!) and so they had been hand fed. I put a hand into the box & a wave of black & tan bodies engulfed it. One little bundle didn't follow the crowd but wiggled down along the side so that she could get right to the questing hand. I was delighted! This puppy chose me, bulled past 10 of her brothers & sister to get to me!

It was only later that I realized that in this litter's eyes hand=food and this dog was a little glutton. But it was too late, she came home with me & was my partner in crime for nearly 12 years. She was also a glutton for attention & for meeting people and so a delightful dog to have. The perfect introduction to rottweilers.

But I'm fond of dogs in all shapes & sizes.

Nina

o

My name is the name of my farm. We live in Hampton and meadow describes the farm.

Our first very successful race horse born on this farm was named Hampton Woods.

o

Note to Bizzo- lots of Elizabeths in our family, too. One was named 'Bif-bif' by a cousin. They're in their 20s and still use the pet name between themselves- very sweet.

o

I would have preferred Bizzo. My little bro couldn't say Cheri (pronounced like sherry) so he called me Furry. Unfortunately, it stuck and there are still times when my family uses it, sigh. It's one that tends to raise eyebrows.

sugarbreak, I just love yours!!!

o

Seekingadvice, your post gave me my laugh of the night! I was reading it at work and just burst out laughing (raising a few eyebrows around here, too).

o

Lowspark and Bill Vincent, I not only have that LP (that *really* dates me!) and most of his others, but saw Steve Winwood perform it live (at two shows, one at the suddenly-famous Patriot Center at George Mason U. Plus, I bought an expensive electronic keyboard in part because Steve endorsed it.

My userID combines my last name and a random number to get it past the required five characters. Lee666 may have been more fitting....

o

OMG, you guys are scaring me! I have a daughter with a lovely name.....that we've never used. She's always gone by "Beanie". EVERYONE calls her Beanie. I have visions of her wedding....

"Do you, Beanie, take this man...."

Is there any way to undo a nickname? LOL!

Mine is another self-explanatory name (to me, at least). I love to renovate things. But for the longest time, I would get emails asking me about what stores were good in the Reno area!

o

First and middle intial and my lst name. Boring, huh?

melanie

o

My gardening philosophy and the unofficial name of my gardens. ;)

Susan

o

I'd rather be maxikit or even middlingkit, but remodeling a minikit-chen is cheaper, at least.

o

finally... as in finally remodelling, finally deciding on x-y-or-z, finallly unpacking those boxes (haven't made that post yet!)

I am however, finally finished with the building part of the remodel, just not the "sewing of the curtains" part, or the "covering of the chairs" part. Hmmmm, I guess a house is never really finally finished!

~finally (aka Dolores)

o

Koala- simple way to clarify I hail from downunder (thus hopefully explaining why some products seem unusual to me)
Em- my name....

Not too exciting.

o

Ramses 2 after the pharoah and the son in the Amelia Peabody mysteries, not exciting at all I'm afraid.

o

This was such a great thread! I don't participate as much in kitchens because everytime I think I will redo mine somthing happens and I don't! I LOVE seeing everyone's finished kitchens though and I do read the posts whenever I can. I got my name from my oldest cat. I made up the name for him and it stuck.

o

Jennybeth for Jennifer Elizabeth. It's a silly nickname I picked up at an old job. Most of the time I just go by Jenn.

o

"pirula" is my father's pet name for me. I have NO idea what it means, or if it means anything at all. When he's feeling particularly affectionate, it's "pirulita" (little pirula) but I just could NOT go there.

:)
Ivette

o

Hi Ivette,

You got me curious, so I browsed on Google and found that "pirula" can mean "pearl." The word is possibly derived from the Latin word "pirum" for "little pear," which is named for the tip of the nose (because of the shape resemblance). There was also a great Spanish flamenco dancer known as "La Pirula."

So I guess your dad thought you were as precious as a pearl, as sweet and curvy as a pear, as graceful as a dancer, or as cute as the tip of your nose!

Sue

o

Oh my goodness Sue!! I suspect my father believes I am all of the above. Daddy's are nice that way.

Yes, I think "My Pearl" is quite appropriate for moi. You may all call me that from now on.

Oh my these pain killers have my punchy,
;)
Ivette

o

I was going to ask this and was looking for something else and found it had already been asked ! LOL . I have been a runner since 1978 in SLC at Sugarhouse park. I started trail running in 1997 with a best friend in Tuskegee Natl. Forest...10 miles from my current home. I have never run on roads again if I could help it. I love being outside no matter the weather. I have done 24 ultramarathons all over the US and Canada. I can't travel like that at present but still get on the trails several times a week.

Anyone else not already on this thread?? Caroline

o

Mines Boring! Its my Name :)
Reno Fan... I too thought you lived in Reno...lol Nancy Jean

o

boring here too:
Yvette and 3 numbers

o

Well, mine is fairly self explanatory. I thought about hockeymom but I think it was already taken. My boys play hockey and it looked like so much fun that I decided to try it. Well, I'm hooked now! Nothing like learning to skate at age 40!!
Sue

o

sort of a double pun and I started it while looking for an unused name for ebay a few years ago

Yarn over is a knitting stitch (also called yo)(I am a prolific knitter) the board part is for boating- we have a summer house on the lower potomac river near the chesapeake bay.

My boat was almost called yarnoverboard ie- knitting while boating-two of my favorite things. However the boat ended up being called Medusa. No explanation necessary!

o

My cats are my babies, hence---cat_mom! Love them!

renofan--OMG! One of my nieces is Beanie! Her name is Jessica, and they started by calling her Jelly bean when she was quite young, and that morphed into Beanie! She's 10 now and is still called that!

o

I think I win for the most boring name here. I just used the name of the town and state where I live. Aptos, CA. I picked that when I did lots of trades on the Garden side of these forums. It helped people decide weather the plants I had to trade would work in their climate right from the get go so they wouldn't have to ask. Or at least that was the reason behind it.
Clare

o

Oh my gosh, I did so need this! Just watched Nightline and started to post a serious poll about Iraq policies - maybe tomorrow, but hey it is tomorrow.

Jubilee is a term from the Pentateuch (first 5 books of the Old Testament)referring to the Hebrew practice of cancelling debt and setting slaves free every seven years.
Jubilee has spiritual implications of the New Testament message of God's grace given thru His Son, cancelling debt to the wages of sin and setting free from its burden, so I love that word! I used to be the original "jubilee" on fastdial. Now there are so many, and juliesjubilee was too long, and reminded people of cherries jubilee.

Uxorial, it is so funny - I saw that word on an online word of the day recently, only it said that it was used to describe a husband who is completely content with his wife, so got a bit confused there -

Cupofkindness, you are a riot! I love your alternative monnikers!

Sugarbush, you must be from Texas (or Tennessee)- thanks for posting this!

o

sugarbreak, are you still around? I just wanted to let you know that I borrowed your username after reading this thread. I just realized we've been using it for almost a year now!

I read about your twins and the kisses and thought that was so cute. My 3 girls were 3 (twins) and 5 when I first saw this post. They would fight in the car something fierce, and I was at my wit's end. Then one day I called out, "Hey, who wants a sugar break?" They all fell silent to hear what great thing that was going to be. Since I couldn't have them kiss while all separated in their car seats, we began the practice of taking turns describing what the best "sugar break" in the world would be. They LOVED it. There were white cakes with pink icing and ice cream, banana splits with cookies, etc etc. They don't fight in the car very often anymore, but when it happens, one of them will suddenly pop out with "Time for a sugar break!"

So, thanks VERY much :)

o
Quiltdog

I love to quilt and I professionally train dogs. My husband and I used to joke that we should open a quilt shop and a doggie day care. Then we used to laugh that we would call it Quiltdog!

I don't think the quilt customers would like the dog hairs on their new fabric, though!

o

Wow! How cool to see this post bumped up!

Seeking, I am just giddy over the fact you are using "sugar break!" I love the twist you put on it and I might have to borrow that idea from you. :)

o

I remember this post fondly... and remember feeling too shy to post last year since I was such a newbie! Anyway, I'm a Deborah, which means honeybee in Hebrew, so my husband's "pet name" for me is honeybee.

o

I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains (mtn) the town of Boulder Creek (bc), and the middle part is obvious. Not very imaginative. I guess some people might guess British Columbia...

o

I came up with my name after I stumbled onto this site. I was in tears, broke and totally stumped. I just couldn't think of a fix for the mess I'd made of the kitchen. I feel really silly using the name whenever I want to post in the bath or garden forums now.

o
I here you!

Yeah, kitchen stumpt (you had to be a 2?), I here you. I cannot believe how naively I went into the planning phase of kitchen (burned out because of all the personal research on mold remediation and structural repair, I guess). Wish I had found this site first, but - no matter - I am lovin many, if not most of my decisions and livin with the rest! (though I wouldn't mind winning the lottery!)

o

dancefit - I had trouble finding a user name when I first started using a computer. I kept typing in names and they were rejected. At that time you did not use any part of your real name. Different now. So as a last shot i typed in dancingfit and they shortened it to dancefit. When my second daughter was getting married I had to lose about 30 pounds. I could not stick with any program long enough before I would gain weight again. One day I took an aerobic class at a gym and I had a great time. The weight just fell off. Of course after 10 years of step and aerobics my 50 year old joints started to show the effects. I eventually stopped and now I still struggle with those same pounds. My third daughter is getting married in November maybe I should start dancing again.
Lynn

o

NAmes of my older 2 boys
Matthew and Drew
I have a james and JUliana now to but they where born after :)

o

O.K. here's my story. GW is the first forum I've ever joined. I didn't know anything about choosing forum names. I tried to use my real name and the computer said it was already taken. The computer suggested organic_donna. I couldn't believe they chose that name for me. I am an all organic girl!! I eat organic food, Whole Foods girl all the way. I only use natural cleaning products, nothing with chemicals in my house. I read every label and it better be all natural ingredients. I lead a very holistic lifestyle. organic_donna was a perfect name, so I chose it.
Donna

o

I'm a long time web user and forum participant. I used to make up clever user names, but after so many years and so many forums and so many logins and passwords, I just said to heck with it, LOL!

o

I live in San Jose and my name is Erin. Prettttty dull. First time on a forum for me too and my older kids had a great time warning me about unsavory people one might meet on the internet. Hmm, do as I say....? At least they only talk on Facebook right now.

How ya feelin' Donna? Some of your posts today were darn funny. A little loopy?? Hope you're feelling better tomorrow.

o

I need to chime in. This web has given me so much info and helped me in my re-hab. Many thanks to all of you posters..Some day I will post the entire story - very long. I picked my name "shequit" at the time I retired. I am way older than most of you, I think, (63), and love all your energy. Also, it was the same time I started the house demo and re-do. I have been my own GC and it has not been pretty. In fact, have probably worked harder in the last year than when I was actually "employed". I received a paycheck then and now all I do is pay out!!

o

My initials plus my street address at the time of registration. I've since moved.

o

sjerin,
You made me laugh. A little loopy? I'm a LOT loopy and it's getting worse. I think I'm involved in too many posts and I'm getting my answers all mixed up. I should just read and not answer for a while. I'm still sick, I've been sick for a week. You guy's will have to ignore me when I say something about the wrong topic.
By the way, where is the spell check on my laptop?
Donna

o

Well, I'm not really thrilled with my user name, but I tried for over an hour and everything I thought of was already used. I knew that our kitchen reno would have to make do for the next 20 years, so every decision was weighed very carefully. I found I had to be a real discriminating shopper to find the best values for my dollar...but discriminatingshopper was too long, so I just went with pickyshopper!

o

Aw, Donna, I'm sorry. I wasn't making fun of you; I just know that when I'm sick I get a little "goofy" and I noticed that in one of your posts you thought you were on another question. I was thinking, I know just how she feels. My turn is coming; every year I get sick in the late winter/early spring. I do hope you improve soon. Isn't GW wonderful??

o
Girlwithasprin

I want to hear how Girlwithasprin came up with her name. She has a great name (and a great kitchen)!

o

Bruno is my little Jack Russell Terrier. Brunosonio is actually Bruno son'io in Italian...Bruno I am, not to be confused with Brunosogno...Bruno dream, LOL.

aptosca...I thought you were an opera singer!

o

I am sure you have all guessed "just a dancer". I love to do any dancing and as much as I can but this kitchen remodel slowed me down. My Dh and I swing dance, tango, ballroom and salsa. I line dance when he is busy. We are not really good but I call it our couple therapy where we hold each other and laugh!!
I go by lanstan on ikeafans which is the first half of my name and the first half of my hubbys.
I really feel like I know you all just a little more. Thanks for sharing
Beth

o

I always assumed skivino and aptosca were last names. This is ridiculous considering I have relatives in Aptos, CA!

And I am another one who thought that reno fan was a big gambler.

My story... Before I married, I nicknamed my future sister-in-law "Mango". In turn she stated calling me Nigel - I have no idea why. Her then BF (now DH), can get very silly and he started calling me Nigel Bigel. It stuck.

It sounds kind of loopy, but at least I am confident there isn't anyone else using that name anywhere!

Nicole

o

another boring name - I live in Kentucky, so combined it with my first and middle names. Every "cool" name I came up with was already taken !!

o

Another boring name. DW says that is what I am always doing or thinking about. Haven't done as much since retiring from the Army and moving, but weather is beginning to get nice!! Should change name to alwaysunpacking or alwayshangingsomethingup!!

o

Seven or eight years ago...dang it's been that long! I was paid a great deal of money to move to the God Forsaken Far North. I had to change my internet service, so a few friends of mine got together and decided to have a contest to pick my new name before I left. "Igloochic" seemed perfect, aside from the fact that there aren't igloo's in Alaska (they're Canadian Eskimo properties, not Alaskan) but heck, I was not quite so knowledgable then. I use the name for everything.

I suppose as we begin this whole house remodel I should change it to something more fitting like "DHblowsBudget" or "IwannaNewStove" or "ContractorWantedDeadorAlive" but Igloochic is so much easier to spell...

I did consider PinotEnvy...but even some wine drinkers aren't smart enough to figure it out, and would think I was envious of another sex's body part...so I skipped that one :p (But we will use it as the name of our boat) :)

o

Mine is meant to make poke fun at my wannabe-but-struggling- hard-daydream pursuits in interior design and general contracting

o

I'm pretty new here and just discovered the "Off-Topic Conversations" (never thought to click on this link before!) I've enjoyed reading this thread, many interesting stories here!

Anyway, mine's quite boring but it must be very original because I've never had problems with it being taken. When my DH (Bob) and I (Leilani) got married, I registered for a hotmail account and chose "bobleilani" and that has been my username ever since.

o

Irish roots/essense (Celtic) + root of last name (Moon)= Celticmoon.

PS I also thought Reno hailed from Nevada, LOL!

o

When I was trying out names for an email address many many moons ago, I wanted to use "Red" in the name, (because some people call me that for the usual reason) but found that many things I thought of were taken. Then, I thought of "Redbazel". The "Bazel" part came from a girl I worked with years ago who assigned random nicknames to everyone and had dubbed me, Bazel. So, Redbazel was born.
Interestingly enough, that old co-worker came into my office a few months ago as my new manager. Just this past week she slipped and called me "Bazel" a couple of times. You should have seen the weird looks we got. And then, someone who knew I posted on ebay as Redbazel, suddenly understood everything! It was kinda funny to see light dawn on his face.

Red

o

Mine is pretty boring. My name is Sandy and I live in San Antonio (sa) Texas (tx)

I am now motivated to try to find something more interesting!

o

Glad I stumbled onto this thread, Have only been around for a couple of months but have rolled many of the names over and over in my mind to playing the name game. Had some figured out Bmorepanic -live there no brainer for me, others not so easy.The names fascinate me, flyleft, cloud_swift, trailrunner, igloochik- what interesting lives they must lead! Some do'oh moments here- I really thought MTnester was in an idyllic setting in the mountains somewhere! And I always would hear the refrain of Lowspark of high heeled boys - yeah I'm up there too. hear it now too!
In any case let me introduce myself. My name is Sue and I am totally in love with two golden retrievers, Cooper- male 2 yrs and Bailey -female 3 years. So it's cooperbailey- it just gives me a smile when I type in their names.

o

My name also came years ago when I was trying to sign on to my first email account. The names I wanted were taken.

I was reading a science fiction/fantasy book at the time, that had very large cats with telepathic abilities that were called "ghattens". Since I have way too many cats, and love my scifi/fantasy ... became "pamghatten" ever since.

o

Boy, if I had known I would become a frequent GW poster, I would have put a bit of thought into my username. Could I have come up with anything more unattractive and boring than budge?!

I'd love something whimsical and optimistic. Daisychain, sunbeam, ...

...but something more realistic would also work - procrastinator, stuckathecomputer, can'tmakedecisions,...

Budge was my daughter's nickname so even though it's boring and stodgy it still makes me smile :-)

o

I didn't stop to think that usernames appeared in lowercase, but I first typed it in as "AMCofAR," which are my initials first then the word "of" then the abbreviation of the state in which I have always resided.

--Anne M. C. of Arkansas!

o

Mine's not what you probably think.

I've been very happily married for almost 22 years. DH and I have a running joke about referring to eachother as "my first husband/first wife".

o

I was married at the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, Italy and I'm a Mom of two little ones (2.5 years and 9 months). So... CimbroneMamma. I *always* have a hard time coming up with a fun username.

Here is a link that might be useful: Villa Cimbrone

o

Adoptedbygreyhounds: I loved your name the minute I saw it!

Annaleef: Youve given me wonderful inspiration! I will do that, too.

Lowspark: John Barleycorn was among the first 10 CDs we bought when we got our first CD player!

So many of your names are wonderfully creative or touchingly tender. Mine is sort of a proud affirmation. Growing up in an Italian-American household we heard lots of phrases -- in dialect, not the true Italian. "Fa Napoli" insultingly meant go to Naples; "ooh fa" was an abbreviated derivative of the same, usually muttered in exasperation. Some time ago when one of my cousins was separating from her husband, they had an argument where he dismissed her by referring to her as "You and your oofa family." That raised my hackles, boy, and in loyalty we other cousins dubbed ourselves the "oofa sisterhood." (Definitely, HIS loss!)

o

Kompy has been my nickname since I was born 42 yrs ago. My real name is Kelly and my sister (who wasn't even one when I was born) couldn't pronounce my name. She called me Kompy and it's stuck all these years. Even my DH calls me Kompy or Komps or Kompsalicous....or Camp Director Kompy (when I get bossy!)

My other nick is Petsike (pete-cee-keh), it's Hungarian for little one, I think. I'm 1/2 Hungarian, 1/4 Norwegian and 1/4 Irish.

o

So I was doing a search on knobs/pulls and came up with this?!?

It's fun to bring up (and see who is still on this forum!).

I'm a stay at home mom who teaches spinning at a health club (when I'm not on gardenweb!).

o

Gosh, this is fun! I never saw this thread when it started. I need to spend more time in Conversations!

Emmie is my nickname from college; it morphed from my full name, Mary Ellen, into M.E., into a name. 9999 is something iVillage tacked on ages ago because there were already so many Emmie's registered. iVillage membership transferred me here, and voila!

o

It's just that persistent feeling...

o

Wish I'd found the Conversations section, too, a lot earlier than this!

DonnaR57 - first name, last initial, year on birth certificate (just turned 50).

DonnaR/CA - first name, last initial, state of residence. GW didn't let me use this for a name, and DonnaRCA (no /) was already taken!

o

we bought a fixer -upper. For the last 8 years we've been fixing this house--outside first!

And I call myself remodelqueen, with as much sarcasm as possible. I am sick of the remodeling!!!!!

o

Fairly obvious, I'm sure - have 3 boys, a husband and myself - we all play hockey and although presently living in MA for the past 22 mos, we're Minnesotan's through and through...

o

A nickname my grandpa gave me. Don't really know why or what the story behind it is...But aparently Agnes had a sister named Lucy Waffleoosle or something. At least, that's what my father tells me. Who knows?

o

I am new to the GW forums in the last few months, when I stumbled in to look for good ideas for building our house. I used to use guamquilter on all my forums, because my first forum was a quilting forum and at the time, we were living in Guam. I am not in Guam anymore and we are building a house in Minnesota. My first name is Teresa, so MinnT is what I am trying to use on any new forums I join. It was kind of strange to sign in on some non-quilting forums and have a quilting in my user name. People think Grandma when they see quilts, even though it is not like that anymore, necessarily.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house building blog

o

Nothing too original here - just the place I've lived since I was two - Napa, CA
Loved reading the history behind behind the names!

o

I'm a singer.
I'm a mom.

Go figure ;)

o

Mine's boring...it's my college nickname from oh soooooo many years ago (from my then last name....pre-marriage)

o

minnt - I was thinking, at first, you had an affinity for mints.

o

Honestly I wish I had picked a different one. I didn't know when I signed up that I'd become loyal and addicted to GW. I made up this name long ago so I wouldn't have to worry about having a different name on every board I joined. Since it's long, made up, and has double consonants that don't occur in naturally in English it's never taken by someone else. However, here I feel like I'm too anonymous when I post. I forget to sign my posts: Jim

o

Well, My name is Olga and Olchik is a diminutive of Olga in Russian :)

o

I thought I posted on this a long time ago. :-/ Like Sue36, I lack originality when it comes to monikers. lol Someone told me they thought I liked to gamble and it was "all is on 07 & 04." But the truth is I hate to throw away money when in Vegas and never put more than $5 in the nickel slot machines. If I start wining, I walk away. :D

Hope everyone is enjoying a nice spring day. Best regards,
Allison, whose birthday is the 4th of July (7th month).

o

Mine is a family nonsense word, which means "hello."

o

What a fun thread! I stumbled across this looking for something else entirely, but thought it would be nice to revive it. Conversations moves so much slower than Discussions so maybe this will stick around for a while and have even more additions.

My screen name does not refer to any delusions of grandeur. I'm a SAHM and am always class mom / room mom / team mom, etc. One of DS1's coaches for football and lacrosse is the type of coach who gives nicknames to everyone. All of the kids are "the Bull" or "Wheels" or some permutation of their last name "Gatesy" etc. He calls me Supermom. It's been over 3 years and I've never heard him refer to me by my actual name even though his wife and I socialize frequently. The lax is because that is the sport that DS1 plays most often. Dec-Mar in a dome, Apr-Jun one week off then Jun-Aug.

o

laxsupermom - I thought you were a lasped supermom!

My username is a combination of the nickname my Dad gave me when I was a kid and my favourite colour (yellow not lemon really). Lots of people know the lululemon line of products, and I was honestly surprised I was able to use it as a user name but it was late so I just went with it. Usually I have really boring variations of my first and/or last names and my birth year (1967). And my password is always the same so I never forget it.

Louise

o

I've used the screen name Idietolive for over a decade. The first board I ever joined was a Christian one and I wanted to have a name that spoke to me. It really means 'I die in the flesh, so i may live in the spirit. Only problem is that people ask me all of the time if it means 'i diet to live' or 'i diet olives'. So I decided to simplify it for gardenweb.

o

Ok, lots of names were taken. Hestia is the goddess of the hearth. I like my names on different forums to relate to the forum so that I remember my "name" after an absence. Hestia was also taken, so Hestia is also the keeper of the home flame, thus Hestia_flames.

I like being "goddess of the hearth" but I'd prefer being "goddess of the finished kitchen!"

o

Mine are my kids initials along with the ages they were when i first registered here. :)

o

Obviously, my first and middle names and the year I discovered this wonderful cyber-heaven. Now, that's a good name: is it too late to change?? I didn't realize how many clever post-ers there would be, or I would've found a cuter, or sillier, or more descriptive name: historyteacher! choirsinger! impatientkitchenredoer!

o

This is a really great thread. Mine is a nickname someone gave me a long time ago - a special friend and neighbor called me Prill as a nickname for Priscilla. The only person to ever do so. I always think of him fondly when I use it.

o

Hmmm...I love the way some posters have created their names, very interesting. I think mine is pretty obvious too, my heritage is irish, and I've feel like I've been very blessed, but the normal spelling is always taken soooo lukki irish it is!

o

lukkiirish-- lol, I always saw your name (quickly) as "lurkish"! Funny what the eye will do.

o

Fun thread! Mine was given to me by a slightly off-balanced boy in my class when I was about 13. One day he saw me and started into a rant something like, "Donna, Donka, Donka, Donna" and he wouldn't stop. It pretty much stuck with friends after that and even to this day someone from back in the day will pull out the 'Donka' nickname.

He also nicknamed my friend Karen "Carrot" in much the same manner, and we still use that too :)

o

When I posted to this thread over 2 years ago, I think I assumed everyone would understand the quick explanation I provided. That is, that my handle is meant to be a sarcastic comment on my interior design and general contracting skills (or lack thereof). Since then, though, I've learned that some of you -- especially the "younguns" -- might miss the sarcasm. :-) As such, here's a fuller explanation:

Like many here,I am constantly initiating, and then struggling with, home improvement/interior design challenges. So, the "Martha" in my handle refers to Martha Stewart. But, the "Vila" part is not a misspelled reference to some lovely vacation home! In fact it's a reference to Bob Vila, the highly savvy general contractor who was the original host of the PBS show, "This Old House" (from 1979-1989). In short, as a lover of old houses (and an owner of century old townhouse in NYC), I think I ought to be a Martha Stewart and/or a Bob Vila. Hah! Still, here on the GW, I can fantasize about having the talents of both. So, when here, I get to be MarthaVila!

o

Mine is very obvious and very boring. My name is Mary Beth and I'm a Dental Hygienist. I wanted Tooth Fairy which is the name I always use but it was taken. Hmmmm I've never seen her post on the forum I'm beginning to think she's not real! LOL!

o

We have an animal menagerie here, including two ferrets which we refer to as furlets!

o

I drive a 65 mustang, and always drive under the posted limit of 65 mph...

o

Mine is from our corporate name I came up with when we owned a pizzeria - it's a combination of my name, Debbie and my other halfs name, Eli with an extra L thrown in to sound a little more Italian, which neither of us are!

o

My name is Anne, E is my middle initial. Just a nickname for Annie (Anne E) banannie shortened up. Pretty easy!

o

Came across this thread today after clicking on 'Conversations' at the top
of the page, hoping it would lead to lost threads, which it did. Thought it
might be fun to revive, considering the lack of threads to peruse at the
moment, and the number of new members since this thread was started.

I'm a percussionist, particularly of Middle Eastern drums. Darbuka is the
Hebrew word for doumbek, or goblet shaped drum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goblet drum: wiki

o

Mine is my first name and the area code of where I was living at the time (Annapolis, Maryland). Now I am in another state (NJ) but I have kept this name.

o

My "name" is from when I first needed an email address that I didn't want to use my real email for. Since I was researching timberframe homes at the time, I used timber as part of my email address.
I like to use it, as it is still our dream to build a timber framed home someday. I'm sure as soon as we finish remodeling this home from one end to the other, we will have to find a new project, LOL.

o

Happened upon this while searching out fire and ice kitchens. It was an interesting read. Gotta love those greyhounds!! Chris is short for Christine, 45 is the year I was born, and I live in NY. Not too original compared to some I've just finished reading about. A great thread!!

o

I just discovered this conversation side. What fun to see where everybody's name comes from!

Mine is my nickname...from...Lorna Doone.

My family has always called me Doonie. So, there you have it!

o

Mine is my name. Tricky, eh?

o

Surprised I never answered this one.

Easy, my dh is a beekeeper. Just a hobby. Only 1 hive so far. The girls were good to us this year, 2.5 gallons of honey. mmmm

o

Stumbled across this old thread and thought it was such fun reading. How fun to keep it going with all the new names.
Mine is simple and easy; city of our first date and nickname only DH calls me:))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here