Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

everything they say about exercise is true

3katz4me
18 years ago

I was going to add this to the get fit part 10 but didn't want someone to miss it who might benefit from this.

Here's some background. I'm almost 49 - never been a fitness fanatic - I've never really liked exercising but I force myself to do it sometimes. Plus I am an above knee amputee so there are some limits in what I can do and how I do it. However I'm pretty health conscious, eat reasonably well, not overweight, and sometimes I've been more frequent about exercising (weights, exercise bike) but for the last few years I've really only exercised 1-2 x per week. There have been years when I really worked alot of hours and just had no energy left to exercise - though that hasn't been the case in the last year or so.

Anyway, I'm always feeling negligent about this as I have a family history of heart disease, I've at times verged on high cholesterol (which is helped by exercise) and DH is very into exercise, etc. But I still haven't really made it a priority.

Well, over the last two years I now find my blood pressure is borderline high. I guess that was the final wakeup call. It is like I have had a brain transplant and have now become this health and exercise zealot. I've now been working out 4-6 times a week. When I left the doctor's office my goal was 4x a week but as things have evolved I find myself not wanting to miss a day.

I've been riding the bike for 40 mins at target heart rate and I got one of those stability balls which I run through a 40 minute routine on. I don't always do both things every day and sometimes I take one day off completely. But my goal is never to go more than one day in a row without doing anything.

Now after doing this for not quite two months I'm finding everything they said is true. Exercise increases your energy, helps you sleep better, decreases your appetite, improves your shape, helps you maintain your weight, etc. I have only lost a few pounds but I can now wear pants that didn't fit before on the old torso that had started to sag and bulge.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this as an encouragement to others who are thinking they should start exercising. If I can do this anyone can and it really does pay off.

Comments (36)

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Boy, did I need to read this. Congratulations, gibby. I'll remember your post.

Off to do my calisthenics before bed.

• mtnester
    18 years ago

I hear ya, Gibby. I've got to get back to daily walking. It takes inches off your waist and makes you feel so good! I walked regularly for several years but, sadly, life got in the way and I stopped. Now that I'm retired and the weather is getting milder, I've got no more excuses!

I do my physical therapy exercises every morning and night, but those are to strengthen specific muscles, not to burn calories. I wish I had room for an exercise bike.

Sue

• celticmoon
    18 years ago

Thank you Gibby.

I slack off from my YMCA schedule now and then - and this is ono of those stretches. Two weeks maybe I haven't been. And it's a slippery slope. Next thing I know it's been months!

Let me commit to getting back there tomorrow. Blizzard or no.

• uxorial
    18 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! I too need to take off about 10 pounds and just get in better shape. I've let myself go over the past year, and now it's time to do something about it! It's "on my list" to come up with some kind of fitness routine, but I keep delaying. This week I'm re-prioritizing my daily and weekly activities, so I think I'll put exercising closer to the top.

Thanks for posting this! I needed a boost!

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

Yes, thanks for posting this; I spend a lot of time thinking about how I should be exercising and how I can't seem to incorporate it in my routine. We live downtown during the week now so long walks are difficult; I can do those on weekends when we are in the suburbs. There is an athletic club close to our condo building, I'll join monday. Thanks for the boost.

Everything you said is so true. The human body reacts positively when it is well treated.

• mlaj2000
    18 years ago

Gibby.. has your blood pressure returned to normal now?

• susanfnp
    18 years ago

Way to go, Gibby! Thanks for sharing your encouragement with everyone. There is no health condition I can think of that cannot be improved by exercise, and it can also reduce your risk for developing most health problems. If there is a magic bullet, health-wise, exercise is IT! I can't remember whom I'm paraphrasing with this thought: if you don't make time to take care of your body, sooner or later you're going to have to make time to be sick.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

mlaj2000 - I go back in a couple weeks to get it checked - hopefully there will be some improvement. I have also been more conscious about sodium consumption and cut back on that too - no more popcorn, tortilla chips, salted nuts, salt shaker, etc. I generally use low sodium products in cooking but also being more stringent about that. I'll report back when I find out.

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Good role modeling gibby, tho I was tempted to go Bah humbug... ;-) I haven't walked every day during this session but the amount I've done has made a big difference in tension level at work and crankiness brought home at the end of the day. Maureen

• blsdgal
    18 years ago

Funny that you posted this. I just turned 49 as well and I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately about my health and my weight. I wore an 8 when I got married and now I wear an 18. Sometimes I don't even recognize myself in the mirror.

And besides what this has done to my self esteem I know that it is not healthy. I need a serious kick in the a** to get motivated. I am thinking of even trying Nutrisystem or something like that.

Thanks so much for posting this gibby--I am glad I am not the only one feeling this way.

• bungalowbees
    18 years ago

blsdgal, maybe that's not you in the mirror! After all, that can't be me...

Another 49er.

Thanks for posting, gibby3000, & I hope you'll be a bit of a regular on the fitness thread. We all need a little energizing push from pals.

• Rudebekia
    18 years ago

I'm 49 too!! And I'm finding myself taking my health seriously for once. Maybe we should start a "fabulous and healthy by 50" thread? I've got seven months to the big 5-0

• blsdgal
    18 years ago

marita--October for me.

I would love to be healthier by my 50th as well. I have no grand illusions of getting down to a size 8 or 10. I would be happy with a 12-14 and not getting winded going up and down the stairs.

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    18 years ago

Gibby3000, you may never know all the good you did by posting this. You definately inspired me. I went this morning and signed up for Tai Chi. It's such a great feeling to begin moving. Many thanks!

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

blsdgal and marita...Please, let's encourage each other.

I've been fighting depression since my brother died almost seven years from suicide. We were in the middle of an adoption and I had to go forward. We were out of the country and I couldn't even return to the US for his funeral. And I started eating.

I've blossomed from a cute 6~8 to a wide 16. My fanny hasn't seen pants other than underpants for four years at LEAST. I'm protecting the public from nausea and comic fodder by not putting on pants. DH has also blossomed. Neither of us can believe our pathetic state.

AND...we just had a hot tub made and installed this week. We're not putting in water until the cover arrives next week. I think DH's thinking this will motivate us to lose weight because we both hate being overweight. Extreme measures are being taken on his part here.

If it weren't for this forum, CabFiascoGuy might be dead...from my hand.Seriously, I don't know if I'm joking or not.... I **think** I am ....

So, I would like someone to lose this weight 'with'...Any takers? I must lose this weight. I cannot stand it another day.

I'll even put us up a private web page with starting photos and info for private viewing for just you. No one will know your page except you and me unless YOU give them the page address. I could do a password only thing...I guess. I just didn't want to get into having anything high maintenance. NO names. just stats and photos ....IF you want. I think seeing the progress actually written down and viewing beginning and target photos at least twice a day will encourage us.
    I use to be cute and tiny. I don't know that woman in the mirror anymore. I actually walked past a mirror in a store about a year ago and didn't recognize myself.
    THEN to make matters worse, I walked into McD'*s and ordered a coffee. The 24 year old behind the counter said something like, "That will be 37 cents."Â
    I said, "What? It was $1 something the other day." She said, "I'm SOOO sorry they didn't give you the SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNT! I'M NOT GOING TO CHARGE YOU FOR THIS CUP."
    I stood there with the change in my hand, frozen with a sickening smile of incredulity on my face.

She boldly asked where no one had tread before, "Are you alright?"
    I replied, "No. I am NOT alright. I obviously look old, fat, and crappy looking for my 46 years of age. I'm sorry if I seem rude. This is not your fault, so here's your money."
    I am now 47 and not a thing has changed. I'm in desperate need of daily encouragement. I'm a better cheerleader than participant. You know the mentality of my then eight year old son tired of being booed playing Little League baseball and wanting to quit the team, saying, "Mom, I've decided in life that some people are born spectators and some people born athletes. I'm obviously a spectator." Sigh. Restating the obvious had been this child's gifting his whole life.
    When it comes to exercise, I'm been a spectator. I want to be an athlete. Shoot, I even sucked it up and bought an AbLounger for Christmas and have ONLY used it ONCE. I promise you, I'm GOING to use it today. I hope. When the kids leave for school....

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sherilynn - my heart goes out to you - I wish there was something I could do to help! The thing about being a spectator really hit me - that is pretty much me too. And I wasn't athletic even when I had two legs - I'm probably more so now. Why do you think we end up as specators vs. athletes? Does it have anything to do with whether your parents were athletic and active when you were a kid? Mine were not really into that kind of thing - they were very sedentery. I had one brother who played football but the other one wasn't into sports. Though my father was very athletic when he was young, by the time I was born (he was 46) he already had heart disease and was on the decline. DH's family on the other hand was more active - lots of tennis and golf. He also spent alot of time with his extended family (aunts/cousins) and two of these guys still play tennis in their 70s. Another aunt in her 70's still skis downhill, sails, and plays golf. I on the other hand had a grandmother and aunt who were large women who loved to bake!!

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

My mother was a tennis player and ball player....tiny, fiesty woman. Dad was a golfer for many years, then he gave it up for some reason. I always got sick in the heat and threw up even if I very active. I can walk with no trouble (exercise walking). It was running, etc...that bothers me. I have limitations with my wrists and elbows, so nothing strenuous can happen with the arms.

I run my mouth and the scales don't change much. I'm not gaining weight now, however, I'm not doing all that I should/could do to lose it. Actually, I KNOW how to lose this weight. It's not brain surgery. It's just lack of motivation and laziness.

I would not call myself a 'couch potato' because I am busy. Maybe I have 'PBG. 'puter butt gluttony. I overindulge on this thing and it keeps me from doing around here. This 'puter has saved CabfiascoGuy's life...and mine as well. If it weren't for all of the ladies and gents here, I'm sure I would have been in worse shape. BTW...I've gained the most weight during this cabinet nightmare.

I need to run. I will check back later.

• mlaj2000
    18 years ago

Sherilynn,

I'm with you. I need to lose 50 pounds, but i'd settle for 30. Right now I am seeking out plastic surgeons to do my eyes. I hardly recognize myself anymore as well. I am 40 and everyone thinks I am older than my 48 year old sister.

The only good thing that happens now that everyone thinks I am so old, is that they have stopped asking me if I am pregnant. Obviously, the old broad cannot be pregnant, right?

I have had a very stressful year and it has taken a huge toll on me physically. I also used to be considered very pretty. This summer, when my cousin from FL came to visit, he sat me down for a heart to heart talk. He was so concerned about how I "let myself go". I cried for days and days. But yet, I still eat. Sometimes I long for the days when stress killed my appetite.

So, I am thinking about doing nutrisystem. ATkins worked for me but raised my cholesterol too much. I want to eat healthy and walk. I have a back and groin injury that severely limits my activities, but walking is okay.

My goal is plastic surgery and 30 pounds. My reward is a beach on Maui.

• jesemy
    18 years ago

I'm another 49 year old (the big one will be in November) who has gained 20 lbs from overeating and no exercise. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol in May, brought it down slightly by diet, but not enough to avoid being put on Lipitor. I think that exercise is also a wonderful way to beat the blues, and I've certainly gotten them by getting overwhelmed by my DIY kitchen facelift.

I used to exercise fairly regularly and participated at a check in the Firm YaYa site where I learned as much about home exercising as I have learned so much about kitchens here.

I think a thread/checkin for those of us who are TKO and struggling to get fit is a great idea! Any takers?

Nancy

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jesemy - I think we're now over gettin' our mojo back.

My exercise program also did not improve my HBP enough to avoid medication. And I subsequently found out my cholesterol is borderline high - no meds for that yet. Hopefully continuing with my new exercise and diet regime will help.

For all you other close to 50 women (and men) - if you have not had a physical lately to have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked you might want to do that. Heart disease starts to become a significant problem for many women our age - especially if you have a family history of it. I'm not overweight and I actually eat a reasonbly heart healthy diet - you also gotta' watch out for those bad genes.

• jesemy
    18 years ago

Sorry, Gibby...didn't mean to overstep my bounds.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jesemy - ???? - I don't think you overstepped your bounds

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just realized it's been a year since my HBP diagnosis that sent me off on this fitness frenzy. I'm happy to say a year later I'm still exercising 5x a week nearly every week except a few weeks when I've been traveling - and then I still managed to get in 3x. Only once in the last year have I only done 2x. I've lost 12 lbs - it pretty much just stays off as long as I exercise - but I eat pretty well too except for chocolate. I have slacked off on my ball routine in the last few months. When I was doing that and the exercise bike it seemed like I didn't have time to do anything else after work especially when I've been working late. I need to get back to that though - I really liked it and felt better when I did it - very good for the abs.

Anyway, thought my one year anniversary was a good occasion to "renew" my note of encouragement to others.

• awm03
    17 years ago

Fabulous, gibby! So glad you've kept up the routine & lost 12 pounds to boot. Thanks for the encouragement. Here's to another successful year for you!

• emagineer
    17 years ago

About 5 years ago I decided to get going when meeting a gal my age (50 plus) who went to the city recreation program. It was tough at first because I am not a "public person", but all you are saying is true. It got me into hiking, snowshoeing, weight lifting, etc....all wonderful things. And I didn't care how good/bad it was personally done, just really enjoyed everything.

Sadly, a year ago I acquired a medical condition and the doctor has stopped any exercise for now. I miss it all and am chomping at the bit to get back outdoors and any small amount of an exercise program. It is personally wonderful for my attitude and energy. Without it I also see a change in eating habits, which has gone downhill. Think the exercise also helps in directing our bodies to the good stuff.

• clg7067
    17 years ago

Wow, I just started reading this thread and everybody is my age, 49. I just started going for walks everyday when, suddenly, winter hit. I'm not going out walking in single digit wind chills. I haven't gained any weight in the last year, but I sure got bigger from lack of exercise. I just have to do it.

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Hi everyone!

I see that I posted to this thread a year ago, and I'm a veteran of all the Mojo threads, too. I'm very glad to see that Gibby, AWM, and others have had continued success! Last year, I started daily walks in my neighborhood and lost about 12 pounds between March and June. Then I was hospitalized for a foot infection, and by the time my foot had recovered, it was too hot for walking. I should have resumed in the fall, but I didn't, and, sadly, I've backslid on my dieting, too. So it's back to Square One for me! :-(

I was SO enthusiastic last year, so completely committed to the new eating pattern and exercising lifestyle. What happened? I feel so discouraged now. Maybe one factor is that I drifted away from Kitchens and moved over to the Cooking Forum. I try to avoid the baked goods, but there are so many tempting recipes posted there... but I don't blame the CF, I blame myself. Besides, the CF is not responsible for my occasional binges. I know the cure for them is not to have "just a taste" of something sweet in the first place. There were other factors, too: I started working again (freelance), and I have other interests that take up most of my free time. I don't have space for exercise equipment at home and can't afford a gym membership right now. Also, my back injury limits the kinds of exercise I can do. Walking is great for me, as long as the terrain is level, but, as clg said, it's too cold for walking now. However, I'm determined to start again when the weather gets warmer.

Does anyone have ideas on how to reclaim my Mojo? Did the Mojo threads really help most of you, or would/could you have done it on your own, without encouragement from the group?

Sue

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sue - boy, I hear ya about the Cooking Forum. I find I just can't get that engaged over there because I don't want to eat all that decadent stuff. For me my motivation comes from within. I want to be healthy and be able to do things as I get older. I just attended my aunt's 90th birthday and she is amazingly vital - she lives alone, walks unaided, drives (in her small town of 180) and is remarkably sharp mentally. Not that I want to live to be 90, but as I get older I want to be able to continue to enjoy life and do things - and not be disabled by chronic illnesses I could have prevented by living a healthier lifestyle. I think looking and feeling better in the short term has been very helpful in keeping me committed. I really like looking and feeling fit - I've never really been one of those people.

I'm sending good vibes and wishes for a mojo reclamation for you!!

• Mimou-GW
    17 years ago

When I was younger I was a "Fabulous at forty" I ran everyday and went to the Rexplex for swimming or step classes 4 or 5 times a week. Then we moved and I think I must have sunk into a depression, I no longer exercised or watched what I ate So I got fat but seemed to level off and I didn't worry about it too much. Well, now we have moved again and I feel isolated. The weather here stinks. I have probably gained another 10 pounds since last May. So I finally decided to do something about it. I have just started this week. I was horrified yesterday when I tried to do some basic stretches that I used to do all the time and found I couldn't reach my left elbow to the other side of my bent right knee. Today I am feeling sore and more determined than ever to keep at this. Nan

• awm03
    17 years ago

"Did the Mojo threads really help most of you, or would/could you have done it on your own, without encouragement from the group?"

I'm pretty much an internal locus type. But it certainly helps when my DH oohs and ahhs and wows over my "new" figure. He makes me feel 22 years old again :)

Update: lost 50 pounds last year, but have plateaued since fall. Hope to lose the last 15 pounds. I do step aerobics & elliptical in the basement when I'm not bicycling.

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Gibby, thanks for the good vibes :-) Health/fitness motivation has worked for me in the past. Right now, it seems like that "me" lived a long time ago, in another lifetime. I'm hoping to rediscover and revive her.

Awm, 50 pounds? That's fantastic! I remember all that bicycling you did last year, and I'm so glad it worked for you, and I think you'll emerge from the winter plateau in good shape for the spring.

Nan, I've been similarly isolated since I left my job in 9/2005. My friends IRL are at work all day, and DH gets home late in the evening, so I'm basically alone all the time, and I communicate with friends online or by email when I'm not working. Psychologically, it's easy to feel invisible when you're home all day (why get dressed early? why fix your hair and put on makeup, if nobody can see you?), and I guess that extends to eating, too (who's there to notice what you're eating?). Hmmm, maybe it's time to do something about that mind-set.

To answer my own question: last year, the Mojo group definitely played a major part in my motivation, and it also educated me about various aspects of diet and exercise. But 11 years ago, I lost 80 pounds completely on my own (under doctor's supervision, but not as part of any commercial weight loss program). I was highly motivated because of health reasons at first, and then, as I began to "show," I had a lot of reinforcement from friends and co-workers who noticed the change. And, although I eventually gained back 5 pounds or so, I kept the weight off for 7 or 8 years. Then, it gradually started creeping up. I need to find that original feeling of motivation and total commitment.

Sue

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

sue & gibby, I know what you mean about the cooking forum. A forum friend keeps suggesting I go over there, but I just can't. You know what I'd love to see? A "nutritious eating" forum where people talk specifically about various healthful diets. I've realized that to be happy I need to eat to live, not live to eat. As much as I love baked goods, they really really don't love me. And they're no good for my family. I feel like a *better* mom when I provide zone-ish options for my DD/DH than when I bake something short-term delicious and long-term fattening.

And fellow exercisers/past mojoers, I have a question, actually, that I just realized I had this past week swimming.

I am trying to turn my head to both sides to do bilateral breathing when I do freestyle--but you know what, I can't turn my head to the left as far as I can to the right, because I've held my purse on my darn left shoulder all my life and my trapezius muscle is bigger there than on the right, and I'm kind of permanently stiff! Does anyone know of any really good stretches or whatever else that would help me regain my flexibility on my left side of my neck? I'm trying all the usual ones but they're not working (yet). And of course I'm carrying my purse on the right shoulder, but it's hard--there's not that built-up muscle to hold it in place LOL...

awm, btw, CONGRATS!!!! I would think you have the right to plateau there for a while...do you feel more "able", as it were, in life?

mtnester, just a thought: do you have time to volunteer anywhere? Environment/gardening? Literacy/library? Schools? Politics? Local Museum? Just a few of my favorites...

• awm03
    17 years ago

Flyleft, still swimming! And with fibromyalgia too. You are one gutsy & determined woman. You must be very fit & feeling it.

Do I feel more able? No, just happier with my appearance. Working on bumping my fitness up a notch, hoping that will get rid of the Final Fifteen. As far as feeling more able, I'm taking an investment for beginners class in the spring. Hopefully that will be empowering & enlightening & all those good things.

Subconsciously I must be preparing for old age! Getting my weight down, my fitness up, & my money-handling skills together.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

And like they say, old age ain't for sissies :)

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Flyleft, I know what you mean about the shoulder problem. My left shoulder really aches after a long day at the mall. Also, when I look at myself in the mirror, the necklines of my clothes don't seem symmetrical. The physical therapist explained that it's the same problem you described (overuse of one side), but I don't remember any specific exercises to counteract it, other than improving my posture.

Thanks for the suggestion to volunteer somewhere. I see your point: it not only benefits the recipients, but it gets me out of the house and involved with something outside myself. I'm going to take a closer look at the possibilities in my community. I've been freelance editing since last fall, so I'll have to find something with flexible hours.

On the bright side: just writing my post a few days ago seems to have revitalized my commitment to myself! I've had three very good days! And, for me, I know that getting all the sugar out of my system is a major step in stopping the cravings and subsequent bingeing.

Awm, good luck with that investment class! I have a friend who has a blog with a financial focus, and I see that there are a lot of them out there--sort of a virtual support group for one another.

Sue

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

i work out for an hour 4-5 times a week and i'm still looking for that 'decrease in appetite" LOL
    But, I have reached that "last 10 pounds that just won't budge"