Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV!

solman
14 years ago

B I E N V E N I D O S!

Welcome to Part XV and soon to be, Semana Santa!

Vamos!

Comments (151)

• steff_1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ah, Semana Santa. The annual Mexican shopping extravaganza and the week we switch to Spanish first to make our visitors feel welcome. The week you see more Mexican license plates than Texas ones in the parking lot. Yes, Semana Santa has been quite the week around here for many years.

You don't need to bake if there's a good bakery around. The Sesame Semolina bread is addictive and turns out to be easy to make at home.

James Baker is a Texan who turns 80 this year. It's interesting that you would remember him. The only Canadian government officials I could name off hand are Prime Ministers.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Yeah, Missy!! That's one cool looking bike! What kind is it? (I'm so clueless! I only know ones with four wheels and a roof.)

Ahhhhh. Thanks for the foot massage, Solman! I needed that.

The quake came just when I was starting on my nap. It was a couple hundred miles away, though, so no biggie here. It was strange, being long in duration and rolling, which is explained by the fact that the epicenter was so far away. There was some talk by the geologists that it was connected to something something somewhere which is why it was felt so far off. I have a cool app on my iPhone called I Felt That!. It has almost instant readings from seismic monitors, so has information before the news does.

Let's all have a good thought for our neighbors in Mexico, that anyone who is trapped is found swiftly and cared for properly, and that rebuilding is swift and without predation.

Thanks for the recipe, Steff! Looks great!

Solman, I don't know if you need the camera. You have cameras, right? Is there a USB or other easy direct input? That would be enough. But 3G is a must. Wi-Fi = half deaf.

Haven't outgrown the iPhone web, here. It's just warm, so I haven't been huddled in bed!

I hope you all have had a lovely Easter! I'm sorry to have been so oblivious--I meant to say so earlier!

• plllog
    14 years ago
  • steff_1
    14 years ago

Wonderful Seder pics. Posted more comments on the thread.

Update on the Sesame Semolina bread. It was great for lunch dipped in really good olive oil with herbs from the garden. There was salad also but that bread was so good.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Thanks, Steff!

So good to hear how the bread turned out. I'm definitely going to try it! Today is the last day of matzah! :) Though I'll probably start with challah for the weekend.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stef- The bread sounds wonderful. Congratulations. Stop teasing. I still haven't had lunch 6 PM. Holy wrapaskidarama!

Plllog - Lovely. That was no simple dinner. It was like a banquet hall! Love the way you pulled off the table arrangement. I noticed the Verse booklets. Did you all read them out together? Very quaint. Hopefully Amy will learn well from you.

Whoops, I'm slacking off. Back to work. Tomorrow is ship day! Yeah.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Yay! So when you ship all that stuff will your order be completed? I hope so!!

There are two books--the spiral bound Haggadah with commentary which sets out the order of the Seder (there are 15 steps), tells the story of what happend in the Exodus, and explains what it means. The song pamphlet is really songs. There are a few old Aramaic ones, some biblical Hebrew ones, as well as modern ones, a few English ones, and some very silly English ones to popular tunes. We sang the Ballad of the Four Sons and The Ten Plagues instead of reading those parts in the text, as well as one from a bible verse that says "sing a new song before God" (as in "in front" not "ahead in line") for the praises part.

So? Did you all have a good Easter?

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Of course, Sesame Semolina Bread is not for Passover. Isn't that blog entry inspiring? Her mother even logged in to comment.

We enjoyed our Easter Sunday with the previously mentioned Veal stew at the kitchen table, our favorite spot in the house. We have a dining room, but seldom use it because the view is so much better from the kitchen.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So? Did you all have a good Easter?

GULP;;;; Well you know. Enough about me. True story. Upon meeting one of my packagers today, I asked the same. The lady's reply. Well no, my husband lost his other leg. Absolutely shocked I asked again to clarify. Yes some gangrene set in after he banged his toe and his only remaining leg had to be amputated. I really felt for her; not to mention the poor DH who's still in some TO hospital.

Yes, things like this really come to spook you and you realize how lucky you really are and how precious life and your health really is. And it can all change in just a flash of a moment.

Plllog you'll be proud of me. I did have dinner on Saturday night at Fresh for Life in TO and in the spirit of Passover ordered The Jerusalem Bowl!

On brown basmati rice:

hummus, grilled spinach, tomato, cucumber, parsley, red onion,
    sunflower sprouts, olive oil, tamari, mixed herbs, lemon & chili
    powder

That was accompanied by a shot of Wheatgrass juice.

Prior to, I went for my first run of the season 7KM for about 25 min, nothing serious. I actually don't like running per se. I just do it for the token 20 minutes, just enough to get a cardio workout. At 25C and Key Biscayne Miami temps, I couldn't resist. And I wore shorts in April!!!!

And there you have it, Solly's 2010 Easter.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops, forgot.

Yes, when the shipment goes tomorrow, the order is complete and we have no more stock :( But lots is on the way in about 3 weeks time. That upcoming load should be enough to last until the end of the year. It's just what happens between now and the coming 3 weeks that worries me. I could just see our email. Dear .... Thank you for your order. Unfortunately we cannot help you!

I could go on a mad Eco, conservation, "Recycle-re-use" campaign... only for 3 weeks of course. Then we change the campaign to "Enjoy life, use more, and live better" :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mad For The Pad

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How cool is this?

Stef-Plllog forget all the wrinkled recipe sheets and clumsy cook books, you need the Pad.

See Steve, look what you've got us into. California, always stirring the pot.

Oh oh, Plllog I just thought of something. The clean-up. Is the house back to order after the big Dinner?

• plllog
    14 years ago

But...Solman...some of us won't have a Mac in the house! I gave a look at the HP touchsmart for the kitchen, but I think I could just get a cellular card for my laptop and a plain old TV. Still checking service prices...

Yes, thank-you, as of today we're all cleaned up. They came nice and early to pick up the tables and chairs. We finished the pots that were soaking from yesterday and the stemware this morning, and I made a nice casserole with stuffing, turkey and chopped vegetables left from the table. Turns out matzah cake meal works pretty well for making a roux for a velouté.

BTW, One doesn't need wrinkled recipe sheets. When mine get icky I print new ones. I have a nice acrylic cookbook holder, which I put a plastic spatter guard that didn't work well in to extend the height, and I put my papers in that. They have my menu, recipes for the night, including increases done when I'm thinking straight, and a pen for changes. Works great!!

Here's a new expression for you, Solman: Back-ordered. Or out of stock. Be honest with any clients who call during the three week gap. Say one of your clients cleaned you out but there are plenty coming and they can be delivered by X date. Maybe eat a shipping upgrade if they'll wait. ('Course if you're shipping morels that won't work, but I think it's some kind of tech thing, right?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice Bedtime Story

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Back Order- Say that's my favorite new word. I like it, nice chime to it. Turn it around and reads "Everything is back in order" it's all OK. You just stay there sir, be calm, DEEP Yoga breaths and we'll get that order to you LOL!

Funny thing while I was doing my Yoga routine just now, it just occurred to me that I did exactly what the Teacher reminds you NOT to do, think of the future or the past. Both those cause uncertainty and lead to imbalance. They are gone and or don't yet exist. So why address them? It's all about LIFE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT. Then during my meditation, I began to see and think more clearly and the answer was right in front of my eyes. Silly me. Presently, the customer has stock--correction--- will have stock shortly. Lots of it!

All sales talk aside, the difference between the present quality that my customer is/was buying compared to what we will supply them is like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Pontiac Sunfire. Really. Even the countries of manufacture is applicable to my example. Top German quality compared to very low US quality. So with this fact in mind, it occurred to me that our product will last at least 4 times longer than their previous product. So, their usage and rate of order should theoretically be much much lower unless the users discard the product at the previously same rates, which is actually good for business :)

I'll know if my theory/above prediction is true after the first couple of orders.

Plllog I really wanted the Pad in your Kitchen because the iBookstore will be packed with Recipe books. I let you choose all my pots so the least you can do is let me techfit your Kitchen. LOL! And not just a flashy kitchen tool, you can be BeachPadding just around the corner in a month.

Stef- What do ya think? Color recipes glowing on a sexy, slim, 10 inch LCD screen right on the counter beside your cutting board! Say remember how it feels to carry The Lonely Planet Europe in your Backpack. Wait is that a double oxymoron? A ten pound travel guide when you're traveling light? Thank you iPad, now I don't have to buy a Lonely Planet and stoop to tearing out pages from my new investment so that I don't mindlessly carry that hunk of bulk in my dainty, precious little pack. Last four words said with extreme skepticism. Actually I think I'm a much worse packer than I was in by budding backpacking days. Now my travel bag is more like an over bloated mule :)

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ROTL!!!!

Hey guys, have you seen the Capital One Credit Card commercial

"Say What brings you folks here in bug season?" And the wife and kids and Husband get swarmed in bugs at the Resort's dining table, at the pool, etc.

I'm just getting up off the floor BIG LOL!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Hee. Haven't seen that one. Get the Lonely Planet on your iPhone instead. Much better for travel than the pad. I like big, heavy, hardbound books with actual pages. I don't actually cook out of them often. I used them for guidelines or inspiration. It's the difference between getting a Botticelli coloring book and painting by the numbers, or tacking up a Botticelli postcard to inspire you to greatness.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes there will be alot of overlap indeed between the Pad and the iPhone.

Knowing Steve, he will have thoroughly calculated this and the two will likely act as mutually exclusive.

Can you tell that I'm very impressed by Forbes Magazine's CEO of The Decade? And he was an unwanted adopted child. Go figure.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

That's terrible news about the coworker's husband. There have been a lot of advances in recent years to deal with amputees. Indeed life and health can change in an instant.

Steve's biggest contribution was his commitment to making a personal computer that was user friendly. He had the vision to see that everyone would find a use for it. I do get the Apple thing, my dad was a very early Apple devotee and could not understand that I had to go with a PC because the primary software in my profession is PC based.

So fun to see you enthused about your business. "It's on backorder" is perfectly acceptable and you can even turn it into a positive selling point since it's so much in demand.

A screen on the counter next to the prep area would not work for me. Even without a keyboard to destroy, it would get too messy in the heat of the battle. Maybe there's an optional recipe stand that will work. Like plllog, I rarely follow a recipe to the letter. Baking is the exception because the interaction of ingredients is based on science. I have a lot of cookbooks and many good recipes can be found on blogs. They've been taste tested with photos of the process along with notes like "use artichoke hearts along with the capers."

• plllog
    14 years ago

Steff, I'll tell you a secret--if you know how to bake you really can wing it! My friend taught me to make a cake without a recipe. You put all the stuff you'd put in a cake like flour, sugar, shortening and eggs, something for flavor like the soft strawberries that didn't get 'et, or some coffee and granola left from breakfast, and don't forget to put in some baking powder (doesn't really matter how much--a small spoonful). If it looks like cake batter (right consistency) and tastes like cake batter (you have to check the flavor so it's not a method for someone who never licked the beater), it's cake batter. Adjust flour and sugar if necessary, and don't forget the baking powder.

It's cake! If you only use one egg it'll be shorter and denser, more like a pound cake. If you use four eggs beated hard it'll be fluffier. Either way, it'll be cake.

I did this a lot when I was on a small stipend and living in the middle of nowhere.

Solman, The early announcements were that the iPad was supposed to run a very large percentage of iPhone apps, though obviously there will be some that are too specific to the capabilities of the particular device to work on the other. I thought that was one of the best parts! That there was some compatibility. I know my GC wants one just so he can do what he uses his iPhone for on a larger format to show clients. Pictures, drawings, sketches, etc., plus run the same contact management.

Here is a link that might be useful: Present For Plllog

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For being such a good little host(ess) last week.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Stash

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

California,

We've got your solution.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

LOL, Solman. AutoCAD is the software I referred to in my earlier post that was not Mac compatible way back when. Nice gift for sure.

Yum, that sounds like a great cake recipe and definitely for someone who knows how to make a cake batter. I do change cakes and cookies some after I've made them from the recipe a few times. Since I hadn't made bread for quite a few years, I followed the recipe and even read several articles regarding rules for success in breadmaking. So much fun, more homemade bread is on the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Present For Stef

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stef- This is interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Life Down Under

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey guys,

Look what I found!

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Something nice!

I just got a call from my good Buddy and was sharing the sad story of my worker's DH weekend trauma and he gave me an absolutely wonderful little piece to always remember. And so I like to share with us all:

Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift; and that's why it's called a present.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Aww, nice sentiment.

That's an interesting debate regarding the internet content. We had a court ruling today on the issue. Eventually internet content will probably be regulated the same as broadcast tv is now.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Man scratches head and thinks it should read revised:

Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift; and that's why it's called The Present.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stef-Plllog- Thanks for all the pep talk and support. You're really very kind.

I agree about turning the negative to the positive in biz. More intriguing Plllog was your idea of the shipping "upgrade". You being American, right away came up with a very American thing. That is Customer Service rules #1. NOBODY I repeat nobody does customer service like the Americans. That includes Canadians.

Whenever I was in Europe, I couldn't believe the total lack of this American concept. Especially in Germany!!! There it's-- I'll serve you when I'm ready to serve you-- Mr. Customer. Believe me I never stopped complaining about this in 7 years of Germany travels. OK, yes they are a "little" better. And now they even keep some shops open past 6 PM, until 8 PM! Notice I said some shops. Isn't that nice?

On one of my trips, I actually pondered making a booklet entitled "What Is Customer Service" translated to German and handing it out to all the rude businesses that I would encounter daily.

Customer Service. Nobody does it better than the Americans.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops,

I forgot something that I've kept secret from y'all.

Speaking of American Customer Service. A few weeks back at Chipotle, the Manager saw me come in and when I reached the cash register to pay, he waived the Cashier off and said " No charge for his meal". Wow! Oh no it didn't stop there. He then asked me, what would you like to drink with that? My original order did not have any drinks.

Imagine my opinion now of Chipotle. As if it needed any further boost.

I LOVE Chipotle!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Wow, the frequent customer deal without a card to stamp or punch. That is awesome.

Interesting about your view of customer service. Definitely agree with the German observation. I asked about that once and the answer was basically "anyone can be nice, it's a real art to be German." Canadian service has always been pretty good in my view. I had a great working relationship with a Canadian firm on a project a few years back.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ROTL!!! Stef. You really made my day. I have never heard that saying but guaranteed that will be a permanent memory etcher indeed.

Yeah Canadians are better now but it's because the Americans forced us to.

For example, we have this big chain here called Canadian Tire, basically a glorified Hardware store with an Auto repair Dep't and auto parts sales. Service was always sub par. Then when the announcement of Wal Mart ready to enter Canada came, the entire retail industry went into a shock frenzy of fear. Then the Americans arrived, Wal Mart, Best Buy, Home Depot, The Gap, etc. Suddenly all the Canadian retailers put on their Customer Service hats knowing that American managers were training all the new US Retailer employees on service the American Way. It was no wonder that the Canadians were scared.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Asparagus Platter

With drainage holes preventing asparagus from becoming soggy.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vegetable Cleaning Gloves

Roughened surface. For cleaning and peeling potatoes, carrots and other vegetables. With hanging loops.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Hooorrayy! There's a quote from me in the permanent file now. Actually it's from a German coworker more than 20 years ago and I never forgot it.

That asparagus plate is great. I had my eye on one of those cute asparagus shaped dishes, but that's a lot more modern.

LOL, the gloves are a bit over the top when you can just use a scrubbie.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog's already overstocked with Kitchen paraphernalia.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Catering to her hands on approach to cooking... in my Kitchen.

• plllog
    14 years ago

ROTFLOL!!! Solman, I have a pair of those gloves, but they're purple and white. They're for sloughing the dead skin off of one's feet. I'm not sure how grippy they'd be with wet veg, though they'd probably work as well or better than a brush, but what's with wasting all that water pouring it over one itty bitty potato??

The asparagus plate looks nice for thems as likes asparagus. :) Them Germans. Amazing stories. I remember reading about how the American corporations went into the former Eastern block and did months of training with potential floor employees (i.e., people who help customers) by drilling them in things like bathing regularly and washing their hair and clothes, being pleasant, friendly and helpful, and saying thank-you.

The difference is actually one of the better aspects of Capitalism. If you have to compete for customers, and you're prevented from cheating, you have to find a different edge. Customer service is it. I don't know if you get it there, but CBS has this show called Undercover Boss. I saw it recently when it was the head of Roto Rooter (they snake pipes) going undercover as a new hire about whom they were shooting a training video. He tried the phone answering where they book clients, and the trainer was so frustrated! He was trying to argue the customer into not going elsewhere when there was a wait. The trainer said she wanted to be the customer's hero, to have them feel like it was going to be all right.

I used to be in retail and mail order. I know about shipping upgrades. :)

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog hope you don't mind but with Steff's absolute barnburner of a quote today, we will now inaugurate her own Folder of Relics. Herein, Steff's Relics.

And accordingly this one goes into yours ROTL!!!

"The American corporations went into the former Eastern block and did months of training with potential floor employees (i.e., people who help customers) by drilling them in things like bathing regularly and washing their hair and clothes, being pleasant, friendly and helpful, and saying thank-you."

Oh, I got another one. I was in a Dep't store one day (Karstadt) in Celle Germany, near Hanover, and in an absolutely deserted Cookware dep't, on a Tuesday night. While standing in front of a 400 Euro set of Fissler pots, I asked the elderly saleswoman for help; and with an angry Mother's scowl, she raised her voice and her index finger with the single word MOMENT! That's where my idea of handing out pamphlets on "What Is Customer Service?" came from. Or maybe the pamphlet should have been on Manners. So, as a retaliation, my policy now in Germany is to only patronize Oriental restaurants where I feel like I'm treated like a God, by comparison.

BTW that was just 3 years ago!

• plllog
    14 years ago

But...Solly, I think I read it in Business Week or Time or something. Just relating the story. Not really sure it's a noteworthy quote.

Amazing about Germany. I haven't been there in 25 years. I remember how polite the people were on entering a room. But I guess I did run into my share of officious waiters.

• plllog
    14 years ago

A present for Solman.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yipeee! Even boys get presents.

But Plllog, that's not a present. That's teasing.

I don't have the Pad :(

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solly's a Cult Worshipper!

Later...

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At least I found out sonner rather than later. And the leader appears to be a slick Fraudster. Shame.

http://artoflivingfree.blogspot.com/2010/01/healings-or-hoax.html

http://www.yunusnews.com/system/files/sri_sri.pdf

http://www.diwala.com/tag/aol-scam/

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, well, yes, Solly, we knew that, but you had to learn for yourself. Yoga itself isn't a bad thing. In fact, it has the following it does because it is very good, including for healing. They use it with cancer patients on nasty Western style regimens to improve their healing. What yoga, breathing, intention, meditation, etc., can, demonstrably, do for you, is improve circulation and posture (alignment of the body), improve blood flow, which in turn aids healing, encourage orderliness of thoughts and attitude, allowing the mind to heal and to engage in healing the body, and similar good things.

What is bad is faith healing. No one has ever been able to prove objectively that it works. People say that one must take theology on faith because one can't prove it, which is a circular argument. But any kind of real world operation, such as healing, will have a beginning point, an application and an outcome, so therefore, no matter the level of faith of the observer, should be demonstrable. There have also been objective studies of the efficacy of (Western) prayer on healing (though Western medicine) that have been published saying that they've shown that prayers by others improve the patient's health. Those studies have been shown to have flawed methodology to the extent that they're worthless as studies. All evidence is that the actual prayers of the community do not, in themselves, aid healing. What has been shown more definitively is that, as with yoga, the effect of faith and prayer on the individual helps that person to heal from within. Also, that when there are family, friends and community contributing actively to the healing of a person, that amount of human interaction and feeling of support helps the person to feel better and perhaps to heal, and prayer may be very important to the dedication and cohesiveness of the group, and to the individual's ability to participate actively in helping the sick person.

What you can be sure of is that any religion that you have to spend money to join is out for money. Period. I'm not talking about dues or offerings that are for the support of an institution. You can still be a full practicing member of mainstream (non-scam) religions, like Catholicism and Judaism, without paying a penny, even though it is customary to give to the support of the institution as well as charitable efforts. But you shouldn't have to buy your way in, and especially, shouldn't have to spend money to learn more and achieve higher status. That would be an abusive, emotional ponzi scheme.

An old-timey faith healing scam was where the radio or television preacher would tell people to put their old, broken watches on the radio or TV (this during vacuum tube days). If their faith was strong their timepieces would start working again. In reality, it's the heat from the set that made the watches go for a short time.

I'm very sorry you've been disappointed, but at least your eyes have been opened before you got in too far. Meantime, I was not teasing you! I was showing you what all your new beloved toy you're planning to get can do!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Well said, plllog.

There are many positive things you can take away from the experience. As a matter of fact I've been dusting off the old yoga moves lately. There's nothing like it for flexibility and balance. I'm using the WII Fit to keep me on track and it's working great.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So you knew huh? Plllog at least stop me next time when I'm getting into trouble!

OK so I wondered how an informed, educated, alert mind could fall for such a rope a dope Ponzi scheme.

First, man hears about invigorating mind body results of a Yoga based practice.

Man has a "hole" in his overall mind body armor in the depths of a long, dark, grey, depressing, Winter and figures this is the answer-WEAKNESS.

Man pays the $390.00 "dues" and attends the "course" with absolute openness in order to attain maximum results. In the first 10 minutes the course begins with everyone asked to walk around the room and greet everybody with:

"My name is .... and I am your's." Everyone follows. Therefore the Cult's Goal #1 has been achieved-TOTAL and ABSOLUTE SURRENDER in the guise of family brotherhood.

Before the course begins, everyone is asked to sign a rather auspicious form with more than the usual contact information:

"I agree to keep all the teachings of this course strictly confidential and will not teach or share the Sidushin Kriya with anyone else. The Sidushin Kriya is a registered trademark of Art of Living."

Now that should have been clue #2. You are buying a product, even trademarked!, plain and simple. This is a money making profit motivated operation. Simple. A Biz guy like me again should have clued in and walked straight out.

So I complete Part 1 of "The Course" with a reminder to all that the 2nd part is the "Advanced Course" which brings you to a euphoric high and "magical mental clarity."

Then I go to the "tune up" long Kriya sessions. Free, thank God. During that one, 2 weeks ago, my "mental clarity" started to click, unfortunately for Art of Living LOL!!! When the Yoga exercise began, this time there was the Ponzi's, sorry "Gurugi", the self proclaimed Holy God's framed photo on a low wooden carved table right beside the teacher. -IDENTITY INSTILLING Of a SUPREME FIGURE We all follow the teacher and the teacher is a disciple of this great Ponzi crook.

Throughout the class and previous ones we are always sprinkled ever so subtly, the magic of this man Gurugi. So far we have been told that the Teacher, who had full blown Lupus since age of 15 and 2 divorced marriages, not only threw her medicine away but one magical day at the "Ashram" in Montreal, the GOD Guruji united her with the very special man who is now her husband. He also came to our class one day with a "Pep Rally" on the "Greatness of Gurugi" and "how he is a man of high society in India's elite, spiritually "saving and guiding" Mittel, the 5th richest man in the world. FAME INSTILLING

During this same class (my last one), midway, ever so subtly, the teacher asks all if we know about "365" the "Gurugi's save a child Initiative". You just give $1 a day and shazam! some hopelessly deprived slum child in India, Africa or whatever will benefit with one of the special schools and "village assistance projects" carried out by Art of Living "VOLUNTEERS". That part is actually true. This Ponzi crook not only rakes in Billions of Dollars-TAX FREE_ but he does it with ZERO Labor costs! The workers are all "dedicated to the universal cause of helping those in need". Brilliant. Even Bill Gates and Jobs could learn from a swindler like this. Thank god they don't. So it gets better. Just as we are about to get up, another very subtle reminder of " The Benefit Concert" in TO next weekend with all proceeds directed to "365" and yes blah blah blah. Here's the knee slapper. And I quote:

"So everyone, if you can attend it will be ever so nice and such a beautiful evening, tickets are only $15 AND even if you can't make it, you can still buy a ticket as a donation for those POOR impoverished children".!!!

Pressing the button of HUMAN SENSITIVITY and CHILD SUFFERING to profit. Again Sad. GENERATE PROFITS FROM MEMBERS WITHIN THE CULT

The layperson thinks, if "Sri Sri Ravi Shankar" is immersed in the society of India's famous Bollywood Stars, Business elite, Politicians, etc. then he's obviously special. The skeptical person thinks, in a grossly corrupt society like India, a Ponzi schemer like Sri Sri can get away with tax free income under the disguise of a " International Non profit Aid Organization" and never be scrutinized since the politicians who allow the "tax-free status" obviously profit from it too. Sad. Thinking even deeper, WHY are Sri Sri's photo opps always with the elite and never with a homeless Indian orphan without legs and flies crawling all over his face. No, that would dirty his Egyptian Cotton White Suits and Italian hand made shoes.

He boasts to have "sold" his course to 30,000,000 people x $390.00 = a Cool 12 Billion Dollars Cash-TAX FREE!!!! Not bad for a day's pay of crookedness. No wonder he wines and dines with the Mittel's and Ashrai Rai's of India!

So, the sad part of all is that a low life like this profits off people's insecurities, physical ailments, and social or financial life problems.

I feel bad not only for the 30,000,000 around the world that have helped this Ponzi build his Multi Billion Dollar empire but for all the precious hope that he has stolen from the hearts of so many. For me the $390.00 was disposable, but for many they may have given their precious earnings in the place of food, medicine, schooling etc. That is saddening to me.

Also, I feel bad to have shared this with you and Stef, my favorite Senoritas! The nice lady I met at Wegman's in Buffalo whose husband is dying of Cancer and based on my enthusiasm was willing to take the course with him. (still waiting to hear back from her)-I wrote her this morning asking for a luncheon meeting this weekend to explain.

I also mentioned this to another friend whose lady friend is going through Cancer therapy presently. She was immediately interested. Again, people on the verge of death are receptive to ANYTHING. I have already asked her not to consider this at all.

I did both of the above after asking my Teacher if there was any positive results with Art of Living and Cancer Patients. I was given the "story" of their Cancer Hospital in India and all kinds of studies, none which can be verified, as one of my Google LINKS clearly outlined.

But to anyone that I have shared my experience with, I have done so in absolute sincerity and good faith. I should have known that you can NEVER unquestionably follow anyone in this world. No politician, no leader of a Church, no employer, Law enforcement agencies, businesses, family member etc. Doing so only leads to possible distortion of reality.

Finally, other than contributing to the wealth of an unscrupulous organization and man, has there been any tangible benefit from doing the course?

1. I have discovered the art of deep Yoga breathing and meditation both of which undeniably help calm the mind.

2. Because of the course, I have become more diligent in the structure of my diet-and Vegetarianism which does make you feel lighter, fresher, slimmer, more alive.

3. I am more focused on fitness. I immediately went running when the insane temps went up at Easter.

4. The course did push me to make a lifestyle change, not that it was unhealthy by any means prior. Just stagnant.

In one of my Google Links, I found it very interesting when the astute writer made the connection of Yoga Teacher and Yoga Student. He said all accomplished Yogi's in the History of India always acknowledged their Master's under whom they studied. Yes Sri Sri RAVI SHANKAR is an accomplished Yogi, no doubt. But it is interesting that nowhere on his website or in public has he ever talked about his Master or Teacher. To do so would take attention away from "The Star" The Ponzi-who must always be front and centre of any show. I also like how the writer picked up on his Self-Naming and the name of a Holy One or God. "Sri Sri being His Holy One" in the Hindi language. Another sign of a Ponzi Ego Maniac that has already begun his sales pitch by name alone.

The above steps which I experienced first hand are likely similar situations of how all Cults indoctrinate their members and
    generate financial profits. Obviously the head of the scheme, the Ponzi, controls the multiplying income.

Thheee Thhhhat's all folks!

P.S. Plllog, that course could have paid for my multi- colored Le Crueset sauciers, or that sexy Induction Belgian??? Wok. Grrrrrrr:::::''' Deep breath in, breathing out :)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, dear! (Hugs) I did try to make a reasonable argument when you started in, but you were very resistant. You were all love and flowers and happy to FOUND it. You can't argue with a convert. But here we've been plugging along talking kitchens and ipads and other worldly things with you and you've had client meetings and massive shippings and all this real world hoopla. It's not like you were selling your worldly possessions and going to live in an ashram.

Definitions: $390 isn't "dues". It could be a fairly legitimate course fee, if you're actually learning stuff, and it did sound as if you did learn real stuff. Dues is what comes with a building and a fund for the roof and permanent clergy. Like the annual fee you pay the country club, the homeowner's association, the bowling league... There is something substantial that you receive in return.

Are you sure that the money from the benefit isn't going to the stated purpose? They can be a cult and still feed children.

Don't beat yourself up so much. You shared your enthusiasm. Now you're sharing your new knowledge. It's okay. Yoga breathing really can help ill people, so you haven't led them into total BS waste of time.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually forgot a paragraph in my above Novel LOL!!!

The Ponzi always has a "Foundation" of truth that makes logical sense. From that they can spin their web and postulate a seemingly clear vision that can be easily sold. Sri Sri has based his scheme under the disguise of Yoga. My Yoga will save the world and just give me your money so I can show you how to do it. And with your money I will help save the world. So
    if you want to help me save the world, take my courses, contribute heavily and everything will be OK.

Ya see, his course has helped me see HIS world much more clearly :)

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah SHEEEZ;;;; , I'll do anything for girl's hugs. MAS Por Favor!

Funny you said that you told me so Plllog. I told Ms. Wonderful today about my new discovery and YUP just like you told me, that right away from my descriptions, she had Cult Flags.

So maybe all this hoopla about Woman's Intuition may have some merit :)

Stef-Plllog you're not gonna call a me a dirty Cult Worshipper are you?

I'll buy you both an ice cream if you don't. Yeah, I'll even spring for the deluxe Hagen Daaz. But Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell Amy. You know how she gets.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"As a matter of fact I've been dusting off the old yoga moves lately. "

LOL!! Steff- That's going in your folder. Cute.

True story, my Yoga mat is outside on the dirt, in the Garden. You see, I was "washing" it naturally in the rain last Fall, forgot about it, snow fell, and then it was like frozen to the earth-all Winter. Promise.

Now how's that for a good excuse for not practicing Yoga, all Winter long ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part XV1 of this thread.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cut!