Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XIV

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 2, 10 at 19:14

So this is the era of XIV!

B I E N V E N I D O S

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part X111 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XIV

Sniffle? The quilts moved you to tears? You've come down with Missy's disease? You're that sad to be at the end of X111?

How do you pronounce XIV? Chiv? Shiv? Skiv? Chive? Sheeve? Skeevy?

Did you buy the white sink?

o

Missy- Glad to see you're better. We were worried about you/missed you. Looks like some meanie Virus has paid me an unwanted visit too. Thanks for the nice Tom Brokaw vid.

The quilts are smashing as we say in London.

Plllog- We can hear you rustling around in there with the Contractors, it must be all done??

Cheerio, off now to my horizontal nurturing quarters.

o

Wow, my calculator tells me we have exchanged over 2,200 posts on this thread.

Missy - the quilts are really adorable. Very pretty and beautifully done. I'm sure they will love them.

Solman - are you doing okay? What's the "sniffle"?

o
Calling The Pacific Psychic

Eeery post as yes I was on the phone with some NJ Distributor today who had the white 24 inch Cast Sink in stock.

Apparently it's going to be an operation to get it to Buffalo via Trucker since they refuse to ship by UPS; which means sure breakage

o
cough;;;;

Hi Stef,

Yeah I'm down and boiling all my miracle brews and hope one of them works. C'mon Yogi

Must have caught it in the big TO last week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solman's Savior

o

Yogi. Huh.

Feel better!

o

Aww, solman. I thought maybe you were sad that the high from the hockey win was wearing off. Hope you feel better soon.

lol at the Yogi/yogi. He was definitely a fave way back when.

o

Poor Solman! Are you still under the weather? Too bad you've gone all veggie. There's no vegetarian equivalent for chicken soup.

I hope the Yogi helps!

o

Listo! Senoritas.

Vamos a Bailar.

Gracias YOGI.

Well after an oh so fun night of fever and chills and aches, the miracle Yogi tea has brought the Canada Kid back to life, alive and kicking in Banff.

Plllog thanks for my LOL Yogi Bear, we hugged and giggled all night and scared the sickness away.

o
Blame It On...

Do you think it was all Amy's fault?

o

Maybe it was all that necking in the top row; at the empty cinema, last Friday night.

Ewww she gave me all her coodies :)

o

cootie

Cooties? Eeeww!!!

Glad you feel better. You know what Yogi said: It ain't over 'till it's over.

o

Oh Oh, I think Yogi was right :(

o

Oh, you poor thing!

Lots of fluids, steam, heat, warmth.

Feel better.

o

Thanks for the kind wishes Plllog.

o
The Final 2 Renditions!

The Guad Rendezvous

Guad Field

The Lace Sings The Chicago Blues

Guad With Blue

o

That looks really good, Solman. Do you think you can get trim tiles to match the ones you already have? This layout looks very much like some of the inspiration pictures you have posted previously.

Are you feeling better now?

o

Good for Pinky on the picture! I really don't like the rendevous in the rendering.

The top row of cobalt looks fine in Chicago, but I think the bottom row is going to to make the counter and backsplash read as two big stripes. With the cobalt top, and V-cap edge in cobalt, it's just contained. But I think I like yellow top and bottom best.

o
Down but not out.

Good for Pinky on the picture!

No No Plllog. Good for your new Artist solman!

Thanks Stef. Getting better, at least no fevers. But our psychic was right, I may have pulled out the Margarita glasses a little early :) I don't care what the Yoga teacher says, I skipped my Kriya routine on the fever night, 2 nights ago. So, that ends the 60 consecutive day streak that I was supposed to do. But really, would you run a Marathon if you had pneumonia? I think you can damage your body and do serious harm.

I'm all revved up to get the tile order finalized with the winning splash contestant...

o
Pssst...

Secret hint.

The winning contestant.

It starts with L and ends in A and came from L.A.

Guess!

o
Wait There IS More!

La Venezolana.

From a distance comes the rhythmic clattering sound of a young Latina in Black Stilettos and draped in a shimmering, tight, Red Cocktail dress, long flowing Black hair with an accent Red Rose atop, and stumbling daintily towards the seated panel of all male Judges, in front of the stage. Por favor! She exclaims. (with sultry eyes and pouted glossy Red lips) Yo tambien?

In a hypnotic trance, all the judges nod in unison and willingly add the name to the ballot.

Guad Field 2

o

Bravo! Bravo!

Can we see the mural wall?

I looked back at the Chicago Blues and realized that the cabinets are missing in the picture and that makes a big difference. The blue tiles would be under the cabinets, not really great in your kitchen. The only place they would show is on the one side wall.

Best to save your energy and let your immune system work a day or so longer.

o

The Chicago Blues Go North To The Montreal Jazz Festival

Guad With Blue

o
Lace Mantilla. La Original.

Unknown

Mural

o

I like the original.

o
What's Going On?

I Quote from this mornings Toronto Star:

"GTA Home Sales Through The Roof

Greater Toronto Real Estate market is on fire. New figures show sales of existing homes in the GTA were up by 77% compared with the same time last year when the market was in a deep slump. The average price of a home jumped 19% to $431,000. Even one million doesn't buy much in tonier parts. Multiple auction biddings still continue on almost all listings."

It just defies all logic.

o

Irrational exuberance.

Alan Greenspan. 1996

o
Splash Wraparound Confirmation

Just need to confirm what we decided on for the splash wraparound positionon the 2 end walls.

Should the splash:

1) end in line with the upper cabinets. (where shadow ends in photo)

2) extend along the wall to same depth as countertop.

My understanding was #1.

DSCF9163

DSCF9164

o

As I remember it plllog recommended wrapping around the corner to the depth of the countertop and I recommended ending at the corner. You were leaning toward wrapping the tile last we discussed. If you do wrap it, you would need trim to cover the top, ends, and corners.

The TO housing market really does sound like the housing market here in the US right before the collapse.

o
RE: After consideration..

Lace mantilla still gets my vote.

o
RE: Correction..

I realized the exact question about wrapping...

If you wrap you need to go to the end of the counter. It would look like you ran out of tile otherwise.

o
This Is Wrapper Sol Calling Y'all to the Dance Floor

Thanks Stef.

Here we go again LOL!

You see why I was confused?

The Kitchen door wall is pretty vast and merges into the splash wall. Will bringing the splash to the countertop look strange?

But Plllog, I "think", doesn't like the splash to end on the Window wall itself. She likes wrapping, or is that Rapping, or wearing a wrap or eating a wrap?

Obviously this is influencing my Tile order.

Dazed and confused :(

P.S. Lupi from the tile factory in Mexico picked yes... The Lace Mantilla! The design is just unbeatable, worldwide. Denmark voted 7 out of 10.

P.P.S. The first person that guesses the Winner of the Splash Pageant wins a very special prize.

o

The winner of the Splash Pageant would be....

Lace Mantilla?

Just a wild guess.

Not doing any smileys since one of those sites installed spyware and it took two days to eradicate it.

I would still do the sidesplash all the way to the end. I don't think it will be a problem with the door.

o

Zep.
Rap.

I'm sick.

You don't have to wrap if you don't want to. It's not that important. Wrapping is for function, but I understand about the door wall. There isn't a natural ending point. That's a ways from the messy stuff. Promise not to open cans there.

Is this like a football pool? Have to choose a unique answer? In that case, since Steff has LM, I'll choose the chain. (It's okay. Steff can have the prize.)

I'b bmiz'ribble.

bye.

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XIV

Oh Pooey.

That's why our Artista was M.I.A.!

Poor you Plllog. Don't tell me you've caught my former bug. Fever, chills? (not the ones you've had all winter :) I apologize, if I've given it to you. You have heard of getting viruses via the Internet haven't you?

Stef, our poor girl will be doing some serious, unwilling horizontal time. I'm off to Whole Foods to pick up some fiery Thai Tom Yam Soup, Fisherman's Friend Extra Strong lozenges, Fresh Chile Habaneros which we're going to pop right into her mouth (might need you to help hold her down from the fear factor) and some fresh squeezed Grapefruit juice. The Yogi Cold Season Tea goes without mention.

Our UCMKF has been hit. First Missy, then me, now Plllog. Stef, no don't go there please.

Plllog, wrap tight, and hope you get a good nights rest OK.

Many Sympathies and wishes from "The True North" (as the Toronto Star called us this week). Little hoakey. I believe The True North is like The Yukon or Alaska. Anyways.

P.S. Based on the situation, the splash judges have accepted your true 1st choice entry and coincidentally you have also been declared a co- winner! It is the first time in the history of our contests that 2 people have chosen the correct answer, at the same time.

The Grand Prizes will be awarded tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Get Well Mantra

o

Very busy day. Did lots. Stayed in. Heater guy came. Turned on heat. Can't figure out how to fix it. I couldn't bear it and turned it off. Can't bear being poisoned. I think that's why I was so miserable. And I may have a cold. I thought it was the infection come back. May be. Not Solman's, thank goodness. Glad Solman is better. Can't bear subjects. Predicates are good enough for me. Pretend it's Spanish and in the conjugation.

No Solman poison either!!! What's with all the acid????? Nice, tepid cracked red pepper was adequate. And blueberry juice. Antioxidant. No acid. I'm delicate. No raw peppers!!! And easy on the citrus while I'm sick!

Thanks for the get well music. I like. Not smaltzy. Not reeking of testosterone like the Zep. Did you listen to the Rap? Very good, that, too.

I put a picture of my first load of dishes in on topic.

Here's the promise Tile Tour. But I'm going to tell the others about it too.

o

Hope you feel better soon, plllog.

Loved the tile tour. The "broken tile" mosaic was a great surprise at the window. It brings in color and breaks up the monochromatic just a little. That's very hard to pull off and you did it beautifully.

We're off to Houston today. See you next week.

o
Seriously DDG

Three words Plllog.

Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Congratulations to our Design Guru and Muy Buena Artista.

o

T'anks. I'b still stuffy.

Steff, in the window it's gumdrops! along with field tile that goes with them. I love the gumdrops too. I think of them as petals on the forest floor.

How are you feeling, Solman? Better?

It's not not Mexican, but I told you it was colorful!

o

Plllog, sorry to hear you're feeling under. Stuffed eh? OK I've got a nice little suggestion. Olbas Oil. Swiss excellence.

LOL on the "Gumdrops" Plllog. It's so you. I love it. When I looked at them, they gave me a good chuckle.

And you're right it's not not Mexican. It's Avant-garde Mexican. La Zona Rosa in Mexico City which has the fabulous Gallery of Sergio Bustamante, whom I'm sure you already know. Stef did you and DH see that? Or Tlaquepaque in Guadalahara. Unbelievable art shops.

Yes I'm better thanks, now slight bronchial congestion sans cough but the rest of the nonsense is gone. Sorry for the acid whitewash on your system last night Plllog. It's just my way when lightning strikes my body. I tend to give it the "fire" treatment and burn the parasites to death. Acid and Chile are not their favorites. The Russians have a saying for Garlic "Our Penicillin." I forgot that in your menu. And forgot to mention that I did do the Chicken Soup on opening day. I just know that the next time I'm in Mexico and see a Cacerola of Chicken in Mole, my Yoga sentiments will dissipate into the earth's atmosphere and my digestive enzymes will be dancing in ecstacy.
But last night at Chipotle, it was still the Vegetarian Bowl, as usual. They still can't believe I come there all the way from Canada. Sadly they think I come just for the food :)

What I'm so proud of you for is a) it's just beautiful but b) that YOU designed all of this and made the art yourself. And c) that as random and assorted as it is, it all flows together is if the designs were just uniform. That is the accomplishment. A medley of many different flavors coming together in one unified tasty dish.

It also demonstrates that you are willing to push the boundaries of conventionalism, something seldom done in this age.

Now can I have your Kitchen?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Savior

o
Look At This

I just read the link that I sent previously and the testimonials are amazing.

My Ex had delicate nostrils that were easily clogged and swore by this stuff but I'm amazed at the non nostril stuff that it seems good for, as in headaches Plllog.

The next time the California weatherman warns of coming Thunder and rains, you could put in a couple of drops of Olbas, go out to your back porch, look up to the sky, and like Clint say "Go ahead Rain, make my day."

Uses It For Everything!
"I use it for everything! Headaches, stress, muscle aches, sinus pressure and congestion. Tiger Balm used to be my favorite- now its Olbas!- K.S., Santa Fe, New Mexico

Olbas Saved Me
"I have helped so many people with Olbas. It has saved me from pneumonia many times." - D.P., Portland, Oregon

Treats Family Without Harmful Drugs
"Coughs, sore throats, sneezing, headaches, body aches and congestion are now treated in our house without harmful drugs." - M.F., Tuckertown, New Jersey

Relief From Herniated Spinal Disc Pain
"My husband was given muscle relaxers and pain killers for a herniated spinal disc which did not help much. The only real relief he got was when I rubbed him down with Olbas Analgesic Oil." - J. T.

Relief From Chronic Back Pain
"I need Olbas Oil as soon as possible. At this time of year, back pain becomes almost a daily occurrence. I cannot stand the thought of suffering thru it when I know there is a product out there to help me eliminate it." - K. M., Lockport, New York

Most Important First Aid Medication
I went to the rain forests in Borneo, Indonesia, and used Olbas Oil to treat bee stings, muscle sprains and strains, insect bites, rashes, headaches, and as a mosquito repellant...the single most important first-aid medication used. - K.M., Citrus Heights, California

o

But...Solman, it is raining!!! The weatherman said it was going to scoot on by but here it is being wet all over the place. During a break, when it was merely cold and threatening, I went out and caught some sea air. BTW, the Pacific waved to you!

Re the counters, it's basically patchwork. The artisan who made the tiles is architerra-NW. She named the gumdrops. And, no, you can't have it.

o

Oh, right. Killers. Arabiatta sauce. Lots of pepper, garlic, acidy tomatoes. Good for killing what ails ya, and doesn't kill ya in the process.

No one should eat Habaeros raw. They are basically poisonous in that concentration.

o
Beeper Beeping

Rain. Pacific. Dolphin. Sick.

Time to go Danno, watch the fort please I've got to take care of someone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Doc Is On The Way

o

OK Plllog,

Don't mind my wet hair, had to take the expressway here... and surf's high tonight in the Pacific. Don't mind if I park my Board on the driveway do you?

Yes I've got your meddies for the weekend. Some Splendido Arabiatta Sauce from Italia; for your Penne Arabiatta dinner tonight. I fresh Organic garlic for the extra 2 full cloves to be fresh pressed into your sauce only at the time of serving, to preserve the potent allicin.

Some Melinda's Chile Habanero Sauce to be sprinkled generously upon the above. You're still under age for the raw Habaneros.

We will pair that with some nice Bolthouse Bon Dia Acai with Blueberry for your delicate innards.

For desert you get some nice Odwalla Lifefood, but only if you drink up your fresh squeezed Grapefruit juice.

Ok , that's Danno calling, I'm off. Um, fastest way to the beach?

o
Meet Melinda

She's HOT!

Here is a link that might be useful: Melinda

o
Fun Fun

Stefffff- I said have fun in Houston. Hope the house sale is generating interest.
See you next week.

Plllog-you don't think it was actually fun priming that mesh cabinet door tonight do you? Getting the sponge brush inside all those holes was Grrrr. So, doing the Green inside there next should an equal thrill. Ya see what I do to make you happy? No no, I just follow the orders around here.

o

:::snicker::: You overshot by 2500 miles! No wonder the ocean was waving at you! Those poor Hawaiians! They do sweet. Not sure it goes with Haba�ero sauce. I know it's not reality, but I was put off of Odwalla years ago when they had a bacterial outbreak. Naked is okay, but I really like Harvest whatever it's called. Not grapefruit juice. Pomegranate is fine.

[Rubbing toe in dirt] No, Solman, I don't think it's fun. I think it's a major PITA. If it were fun anyone could do it. Doing the green is going to be harder because you don't want it to slop over the edges.

o

Plllog, how are you feeling today? I heard the Hawaiian Doc paid you a visit with your new meddies last night. Did the new combo pan out?

A good breakthrough on the Kitchen front today. Just had a top notch drywall guy here and he's ready to go on the wainscotting removal/wall smoothing, repairing the holes of the removed electrical receptacles, and ceiling repair from the removed crown moldings.

Another good change. Presently there are 4 inch recessed pot lights. Looks quite crowded when we have the eventual 6 including the ones above sink and water jug on the Dining wall. So, I thought 3 inch pots should have been there for better looks. Also considering that's a lot of ceiling stuff in such a small area. The less up there, the better?

Both the present 4 inch pots and the newer 3 inch take the same GU10 Bulb, therefore light output is not affected.

Better News!

A German online Retailer just came back to me and said no problem shipping the AEG to Canada and will refund the 19% VAT. Yeaaa. Have you hooked up the Gagg? Everything working OK?

Next up. Plllog I noticed a little secret tile in your countertop edge. The L shaped connection tile that joins the L at the counter turn. Hmmmm.
So off went the mail to Mexico and I'm hoping they have the same McCoy. They do have the one for the quarter round for sink match, so let's hope they have this too.

I also noticed another secret tile in your photos. The "Finger" moulding connection countertop tiles to the Splash. Do I need that as well?

o
Subliminal Messages

Plllog the Psychic: BTW, the Pacific waved to you!

My friend in Mexico: "I thought you would be in Thailand by now"

My Buddy in Thailand: "Get over here so we can get you certified Level 1 PADI in the Andaman Sea"

I swear all of the above messages came within 24 hours of each other.

Spooky.

Will you ever let me out of this Kitchen "Sentence" Plllog?

o
Undercabinet Order

Seems to be some undercabinet confusion here.

We have the undercounter LED light strips and we have the Plugmold.

Question is, should the Plugmold be in front of the lighting or behind. I remember M.V. had it angled and therefore on the wall and splash and at the back.

Confused :(

o

Plllog,

Don't forget tonight it's Dinner at the Oscar's.

They just called to remind.

o
Youse On The Wrong Side of The Pacific

This just in from Singapore:

"The weather is very hot and dry in Singapore since February and this is set to continue for next 3 months. "

Plllog, would you prefer a window or aisle seat?

o

Aisle. Thank-you.

Sorry to leave you all alone! Very busy day unearthing the things I need for Tues. meeting with cabinetmaker viz heights of shelves. Still miserable. I've decided along with everything else is a plain old cold. Ugh.

Good news on the drywaller. I didn't entirely understand your 3" pots, but sounds good.

Yes, my Gagg is in and wired correctly. Turns out it was meant for either Euro or U.S. even though it's set up for England. I only did one test, but the timer seems to work! It says in the installation 50Hz/60Hz and 220-240V. Of course, they make the exact same one, half again as big for the U.S. market and they probably have a lot of the same innards.

Excellent news on the AEG! Do you have to pay something akin to VAT in Canada? Or just a duty? Is this that "white" one?

Re the tile, interesting names. I'm guessing here. There are "in corners" on the v-cap. Remember about matching! Don't you already have your v-cap? A miter works just as well. I'm guessing the other thing is the cove tile. I'm not so pleased with the look of it. Some of them are crooked enough to show wiggly, even grouted. C'est la vie. Coves used to be very very common. I also got coves for the corners of the backsplash, but they were in the wrong colors and didn't get redone, so I didn't use them. Coves make it easier to clean. They're required by code on commercial floors. If you keep your grout in good repair, that's enough.

Generally, undercabinet lighting goes in the front half whether or not there's plugmold. Plugmold can go flush against the wall, angled in the corner of the wall and the cabinet, or flush against the bottom of the cabinet. Mine is the latter. The big problem with the first two is having it not fight with the tile.

Good greif, Solman, was that you?? As we drove by, I saw the superstretch pull into the drive thru at Jack in the Box, but I never thought it could be you doing the Oscars!!! I would have waved hi! (Though I can't compare in waving with our beloved Pacific.)

o

Head shaking sideways;;;;SIGH

Plllog, I thought the new meddie would have "quashed" THEM pests within. Looks like you're a bit of a challenge. Will be back with "something".

Nice to hear about your ruckus tomorrow, which means even closer to completion.

Excellent news on the AEG!. Is this that "white" one?

Um Yeaah. Just when I thought it would be easy... OK not as bad as it sounds. I remember from Day 1, you weren't wild about the "White AEG", which is sort of grey/silver/with White grid lines right?

"So, let me introduce to you... Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
We hope you will enjoy the show."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary White from UK

o

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! That's WHIIIIIITTTTTEEE!!!!!!

MY EYES!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that black stripe!

I don't remember disliking the AEG. I mean, calling it "white" is a little weird, but I don't remember it being ugly. Just wasn't sure it was worth the price bump and thought you should make that decision without pressure from the peanut gallery. Also, I think function is most important, and you should choose for the elements (size and power output), controls (number of power levels, timers, memory, operating controls) and similar concerns more than the color.

o
Special Delivery From Europa

Ya see Teach, I'm always doin ma homework.

Plllog I like your Gas component Hob. What kind and width is that baby? Man scratches head always thinking of THE WOK. Round bottom WOK. How I miss thee ... al read y.

Dieditrich- 26 inch $925.00 US + shipping

AEG 30 inch $1,300 US + shipping

DTi705WLRG

2009-02-2605-a

PSAAHO090P000086-1

0097246_PE242587_S4.JPG

o
Practicality Police Raid

And that black stripe!

Man turns back at French Border as Style Police flatly rejects Visa.

Turns around and heads to Marketplace.

"Also, I think function is most important, and you should choose for the elements (size and power output), controls (number of power levels, timers, memory, operating controls) and similar concerns more than the color. "

Man listens to good voice of reason on CD and remembers the California Kitchen looks fine with a Black induction on light green counter tiles. Gulp!

o
Practicality Police Raid

And that black stripe!

Man turns back at French Border as Style Police flatly rejects Visa.

Turns around and heads to Marketplace.

"Also, I think function is most important, and you should choose for the elements (size and power output), controls (number of power levels, timers, memory, operating controls) and similar concerns more than the color. "

Man listens to good voice of reason on CD and remembers the California Kitchen looks fine with a Black induction on light green counter tiles. Gulp!

o

To be fair, I think the gas balances the induction, lookswise. There's also the bamboo below, not an oven to coordinate with. The stainless rim (goofy) actually helps because of the stainless gas. It's Wolf. Great burners. Not your kind of price. Also comes in blast furnace for your wok. On looks, the middle and bottom one are better. The bottom one is zoneless, right? Tres cool!

Get induction with wok power and you'll be fine. Get an induction ready wok that's round inside but flat outside.

The appliances are now all on and clean. (yay!)

o

Appliances? What are those?

On? What time is Lunch tomorrow?

I know, I better not be late again. Correction Amy better not be... with lip, eye, hair, and powder adjustment.

Congrats!

o

My appliances silly! The coolers are cooling and the ovens get hot. No inspection yet, so they're still waiting, but they're all clean and ready to go.

Amy was here for dinner but we used the old MW and paper plates. Very caz.

No lunch tomorrow. Only cabinetmaker. Amy would be bored.

o

Oh no!

It's going.

o

What's "it"?

o

What's "it"?

"It" is the Sacred Wainscotting that you oh so adored. Should I:

a) Ship it to you in California

b) Donate it to The Museum of Fine Wainscottings

c) Wrap it up tightly and transport it to the mystic Dark Hole six feet under.

o

Plllog- how goes it there in el Pacifico? I gather you had a rockin productive day with the contractors. Yahoooo.

Things were amazing here in "The True North" ( I really have to stop using that pathetic Toronto Star post Olympic Hockey Gold Headline).

OK not only was the work of this new Drywall contractor meticulous, holes of the previous switches and sockets filled on backsplash, old 4 inch ceiling holes filled to accommodate new 3 inch pot lights, walls as smooth as glass etc. But here's the kicker. He started lustily gazing at the fridge, which still has factory packing tape on the door and bottom and even inside and said what a beautiful fridge. He was thinking of getting a nice fridge as a present for his parents. I told him it was for sale, almost half of new price, with 6 months warranty still and being sold to get an identical white one.

My ears perked up, like an alert German Shepherd, and right away the suggestion of trading his work for the fridge was proposed. And he accepted!

Phew, now all the pieces of the Appliance puzzle are finally in place.

Blanco! I mean Pacifico!

Here is a link that might be useful: How I Hooked Amy on El Pacifico

o
Steff-Come Home

Hello Houston Operator,

We're trying to get a hold of Stef, the pride of San Antonio and Canadian Mascot of the Deep South.

She is sorely missed in these parts and will be needed shortly for the wall paint/design on the suddenly empty walls.

We need some Salsa and Spice on that blank White canvas.

Gracias!

o

Option (c), of course! You had to ask? We settled that long ago. The freight to get it to Calif. would not be worth the bother. Besides, it's probably way too old and heavy to be worth fiberglassing.

Lots of busy here. More tiling. Shelves. Talk of shelves. Glass. Talk of glass. Measuring of soup.

Okay, I get barter, but I can't believe you sold your stainless that you sold your white for in order to buy a third fridge in white again!

I agree that we need Steff back, and Missy, and the rest of our crew, but if you color the walls with salsa won't it get funky come Summer?

o

Plllog, sounds hectic in the Pacific. But no doubt productive.

Shelves? As in no uppers and shelves instead? Glass. Aha Glass Shelves?

Actually, I was asking about the wall where the Water Jug will be. I remember a suggestion about a stencil border or something to give a frilly Mexican look. Or are you serious about embedding the mixed tiles? Seems like that would be tricky. Protruding tile on flat wall means maybe a bed of cement on the wall to set into :(

o

Hi there, I'm here again.

We haven't listed the house yet. Had a realtor tour the house she thought everything looked great. She especially liked the glass door corner cabinets. Generic house update, but looks like we didn't go cheapest route. Secret is that by researching and negotiating we didn't spend any more than we would have on cheapo looking update.

Gumdrops? They look great and do tie the colors in. Yes I had wondered where it would tie in when I originally saw the window trim. So it all works.

Yes, Solman, you can't imbed the tiles unless you plaster the walls to a matching depth. The local Mexican restaurant version is to use wood trim top and bottom as a rail to hold tile. The option we were discussing was the stencil about chair rail height. Searched a while back and did not see a suitable example I could post. Just memories of stencil details over shop doorways and walls in places visited in years past.

o

Welcome back Stef!

Looks like Houston was productive. Do you actually live in the house when you're there? I was under the impression it was already on the market. So now is the sign up?

Had great luck with the tiles and Mexico today. They are going to make a "especial" color mix that is closer in Yellow to my 12 year old Yellows. In a nutshell, their new Yellow is literally a bizarre Lemon/Neon Yellow fusion. Yuck and phew that I got the stunning Mustard Yellow of yesteryear. So nice, that they wanted my new Yellows to be a reasonable match to my "antiques." They will also make the quarter round in this special tone.

Mexican hospitality and eagerness never ceases to amaze me.
Some research data. The Guads are in their Top 2 sellers along with the Sevilla, the true traditional designs from the 1600's.

They also told me that most Mexicans combine Guads with Yellow for Cocinas and Guads with White for Banos.

Stef, the wall has been stripped of it's antique wainscotting and, quite frankly, looks much better. The stencil is a nice idea. We could copy one of those horizontal snakey Blue borders that were in Pinky's recent Renditions.
Or should we emulate the SA Mexican Restaurant "wooden rail" with just Blue snake border double bull nosed in tile?

The small wall between dining room and fridge I believe is best for the Water jug on stand right? I've got the Drywall guy putting a ceiling spot light in that position.

If you guys opt for the stencil instead of actual tile rails, how or who can we get to make/copy the actual Talavera design? Are there actual custom stencil makers and design copiers? Or is there places that sell a stock design that we can pass off as Mexican?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Snake Border single Bullnose

o
Mural Example

Look what I found.

Excuse the "creepy corner".

But I like the Plllogish splash. They threw all different Talaveras up there. And it's nice. But notice the Mural not lifted off the counter. Any opinions? Good or bad?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mural without lift

o
colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XIV

Interesting concept for you Stef. Matching tiles for your sink!

Here is a link that might be useful: Present For Stef

o

That is great news about the tile. You can definitely see the difference in the various vintages of Talaveras around here. The ones currently on sale in tile shops seem harsher than the older ones.

The snake pattern is a good idea for a stencil. It's not hard to make your own stencil. You can trace the design, transfer to a piece of mylar and cut out with an Xacto. Practice with various looks and there you go. Do you have a Michaels in Canada? Or maybe Buffalo? They have all the supplies. You could even look through their ready made ones for something similar.

The random talaveras is a common sight around here. I really like that mural, but it seems they don't have it listed.

o

I really like that mural, but it seems they don't have it listed.

You mean for sale?

Does everyone prefer something (stencil/tile) on that wall vs bare? And no colored paint below the border right?

There is also the Murcielago multicolor style. That Blue snake was funky

Here is a link that might be useful: Murcielago

o
A Better Look

Better look at the Blue Snake.

The question I have is can the 2 x 4 Border be used on it's own on a White wall?
All the Mexican examples have it combined with another solid color below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Snake

o

Hey!! Welcome home, Steff. Great news from the realtor. Good going on the budget. And please pardon me for saying this, but:

No sticky outy raily tiles!!!!

I think, actually, that you decided to go modern with references to rustic rather than flat out rustic. The tiles embedded in the wall are way way old school.

No frou frou girly stencils!!!!

If you're not doing something that requires dust and structural alteration you can do it last. I recommend that. No need to guild the lily or put lipstick on the pig.

Good for you for getting the traditional tile custom color. So...did they say why they changed the formula? Have you done a heavy metals test on those tiles of yours? I know you did on something...

BTW, the glass shelves are in. The glass we're talking about is for the backsplash and the cabinet doors. The shelves for the pantry, spice, and shelf shelves.

mixed tile

Notice different size and shape of non-lifted backsplash? If I've counted right, your fruit basket is 7 x 4" high. Right? 28"? Where do you want your hood? (BTW, you should put tiles behind the hood to make it possible to service.) You can probably have it that low. If you make it higher, then I'd suggest, again, centering the mural vertically, with cobalt up and down.

o

Yes, no frou frou. Would you even need a stencil if you put the jug against the wall?

Already have copper tiles to match sink, they are thinner than slate tiles and we have to devise a method to resolve that.

We do stay in the house while in Houston. It's an interesting time because we don't have a lot of "stuff" there and that makes it fun.

o

Steff, can't you just build up the mortar under the copper tiles?

o
Report From The True 'True North'

While it's not exactly bedtime reading, it is interesting reading.

There is a link at the bottom of the article "Male Polar Bear Caught....

Here is a link that might be useful: Those Cute Cuddly Canadian Polar Bears

o

I didn't read the article, just skimmed lightly (sounds like a soup recipe, huh?), so I don't know if they said. Polar Bears are pretty solitary. The males are on their own. Cubs will stay with the mother until she's ready to have another cub. A friend told me that he'd seen two together, but the naturalists they were with thought it was a mother with a juvenile who was still with her because she failed to produce another cub. Polar bears eat seals. I don't know that a cub looks all that different.

o

Polar bears eat seals. I don't know that a cub looks all that different.

I guess they're not that sentimental. Or are they? The article talks about a very agitated Mother pacing and noticeably disturbed nearby.

Just imagine her thoughts. "Listen Hubby, that's our son you're eating."

Plllog, how goes the action in the Pacific today? More shelves and things? Oh so you have glass shelves attached to the splash? Photo please! hard to image that. By the way, are you 100% sniffle free now? You don't sound clogged, not from here anyways :)

And please wave to the Pacific for me and let him know that he is in my memories and we will unite on the first open window opportunity.

Stef, I like the way you said, do we really need anything behind the Water Jug?
Looks like I'm so attached to something on that wall that nakedness seems beyond me. I also noticed a subtle hint from "The Coach" that nothing needed on the walls. BTW are your Copper Tiles Mexican? Stef the Copper sink now carried at Lowes for an amazing $349 is beautiful. Have you seen it?

o
If You Can Bear To See The Photos.

Polar bears eat seals. I don't know that a cub looks all that different.

I guess they're not that sentimental. Or are they? The article talks about a very agitated Mother pacing and noticeably disturbed nearby.

Just imagine her thoughts. "Listen Hubby, that's our son you're eating."

Plllog, how goes the action in the Pacific today? More shelves and things? Oh so you have glass shelves attached to the splash? Photo please! hard to image that. By the way, are you 100% sniffle free now? You don't sound clogged, not from here anyways :)

And please wave to the Pacific for me and let him know that he is in my memories and we will unite on the first open window opportunity.

Stef, I like the way you said, do we really need anything behind the Water Jug?
Looks like I'm so attached to something on that wall that nakedness seems beyond me. I also noticed a subtle hint from "The Coach" that nothing needed on the walls. BTW are your Copper Tiles Mexican? Stef the Copper sink now carried at Lowes for an amazing $349 is beautiful. Have you seen it?

o

The copper tiles are from Mexico. They arrived neatly wrapped in the local newspaper. The sink packing actually smelled of chillies and tortillas. Building up mortar is one way to raise the tile, but it's not easy on a vertical wall. We might split a slate tile to set behind it.

If you are referencing the single bowl copper kitchen sink at Lowe's, that's a nice sink. If you're considering it, compare prices just to make sure.

o

Well, that's the whole thing, Solman. The male was hungry. The female is attached to her cub. The male hasn't been around.

Today was electrician, shelf lining, and DW technician. The glass shelves are in cupboards. The other shelves are going in cupboards, except for the ones over the ovens and window. No tile involved.

Still a little sniffly and wheezy at times, but in general breathage happening. Finally got a nap. I keep waking up too early, partly from sun being up, and partly from the cold. Nap was really good, though body wants more. I have to stay up so I'll be okay in the a.m. to let in shelf man. I do sound better, though, don't I?

No waving to the Pacific. Stuck at home. And tired. But it's been sunny! Windy. But sunny. We like sunny.

o

Poor you Plllog. Sounds like your body clock is in tatters.

The whole Contractor thing also doesn't help.

Personally, when I know they're coming the next day, it also affects my sleep/rhythm etc. Especially because I know they'll be banging at the door at 8 A.M. GRRRR;;;;;

Sorry your cold/infection is making an extended stay. I'm 90%.

Now I get the shelves idea. All glass shelves in the cabinets. Cool.

Stef- I loved your choice of words in Talavera "Vintages" LOL!

So, I took this photo (even though it's deadly GREY outside) in natural light to show the color difference between my Tile suppliers old Yellow vs new Yellow. Unlike technology, looks like Talaveras actually get worse with time.
The new Yellow is just plain hideous.

Now the bad news. When my supplier said she would make a "Especial" Yellow she also said she would make the 35 Guads that I'm short using the same Yellow. So... that means the 25 Guads that I have are scappers and I will have to make new ones to also replace these. The Yellow Dot in the centre and the corners of the Guads that I have is the scary new Yellow.

Another minor detail. The new tiles are now almost an 1/8 inch thicker than my vintages. So, all the Guads, which will be new current production, will actually protrude further than the Vintage thinner Yellows. Question: Do we just accept that? Or can the tile setter add more mortar only behind the Yellows so they become flush with the thicker Guads?

DSCF9182

o
Test

I haven't done the Lead Test on my Yellow Talaveras yet because I can't find the Test Kits. Will try to find this weekend.

But should they test positive, I won't have the heart to trash them. You wouldn't would you?

o

LOL!!! All the glass shelves are in the cabinets, but not all of the cabinets have glass shelves. Just the upper stemware cabinets. I'm a bit better today. Very cold. But less sniffly and less coughy. What do you need to get to 100%?

Re lead, if you don't put food on your counters it should be okay. They say not to use lead crystal daily, but that it's fine for special, and not to store wine or spirits in lead decanters because the alcohol pulls the lead out, though they still sell lead crystal decanters, so it's not an immediate threat. Unfortunately, it's the same for honey, and my favorite honeypot is lead crystal. Okay for company, but not for use all during the holidays. :( You brought up the cadmium thing...and it occurred to me that the especial glaze might have heavy metals in it. I was taught to always put food in a dish or on a board. If you do that, it shouldn't matter. Glazes are like glass. It should take acid to leach the heavy metals out, though you should look that up as I'm by no means an authority.

Re the thicknesses, they look pretty close. Ask Tile Setter. He might be able to do it just with thinset. I don't think building up a dual height checkerboard mud bed is going to thrill him. If it needs that, it might be time to try one of the simpler patterns. Ask him. Before you order. Really.

I think the whole fridge thing is whacky (cute, but whacky), but if you're willing to do that, you might just want to get (horrors!) all new tile. Even though the yellow tiles in the scary basement were the inspiration.

o

The older yellow tile is a softer color it's too bad they don't make it any more.

Definitely ask the tilesetter about the different heights. Can you use one set of tile on the counter and the other on the wall?

The lead in the glaze should be okay unless you cut on the tile and then place food on it. There's a lot of info on lead out there.

o

Plllog, I didn't understand the last part re- fridge and tiles?

You mean hold onto the fridge and not so bad having White oven and "Titanium" fridge? And the all new tiles? Because of the thickness issue?

o

I really don't see the problem with keeping the Titanium fridge with the white oven. There are a lot of kitchens out there with mismatched appliances that look just great. And if I remember right the fridge is tucked away somehow. You're going for the Colorful Mexican Kitchen look, not Euro sleek and perfectly matched.

o

Stef-When you said one set of tile on the counter and the other the wall, I have 92 Yellow available after the countertop. The Splash requires 90 Yellows and 53 Guads. If I get new fat tiles like the new fat Guads, then it means 92 of them and scrapping 92 vintage Yellows. GULP:::

Yes I'm trapped. Honestly, will it look bad when the Guads protrude by 1/16 of an inch all along the splash?

What about doing a custom mortar job on the back of every one of the 90 Yellows to equal the thickness of the new fat Guads?

o

Yeah! What Steff said. But I don't think there's anything wrong with deciding you want a white fridge. You want to barter it away and buy a third fridge, that's up to you. Considering the amount of money you're willing to throw at fridge colors, however, I think you could throw a little at getting the tile right. Tile lasts a lot longer.

No protruding tiles!

Talk to the tile setter. He may be able to level them out with thinset.

o

Stef-I think you're right. Tucked inside the wall in a Pantry it's not a factor, it's brand new, so why should I lose even a Penny? And Plllog I know you think it's silly. Done. Easy man gives in to rational Women.

Oh oh, Coach ain't letting the protruding Guads go on stage. What's that, forget the Guads and just an all Yellow Splash?

Ewwww. Actually just think that was Ms. Wonderful's original plan and then I came along.

I pray that the tile setter has a solution to this. Tossing all these Vintage nice Yellows would be painful indeed. Not to mention a loss of a few hundred dollars.

Speaking of WOK cooking, this is what I'm drooling over...

I NEED IT!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The WOK Solution

o

No, no, no!!! I didn't say anything like that!!! I said to talk to TILE SETTER and make sure it wasn't a problem for him if there are two thicknesses on the vertical. And that second thing is Talaveras aren't so expensive that you couldn't use your fridge money to buy all new ones if need be, or all new yellows to match the depth of the new guads.

Ms. Wonderful doesn't live there any more. You can put your own stamp on your own house.

Re fridge, didn't you already contract with your drywaller to give him the fridge for the good price. If he still wants it, you have to stick by your word. And it's okay if you want a white fridge. You can have silly wants. I have silly wants all over the place.

Solman, I think the Gaggenau wok ring is supposed to attach to magnets in the Gaggenau wok unit. I almost bought that before I got annoyed. I think if you don't have the Gaggenau unit you might do better with the Demeyere if you want to go that route.

o

Dark, Grey, Drizzling, Cold, Damp
Dark, Grey, Drizzling, Cold, Damp

Did I mention drizzling. Hey is that the kind of welcome we get from Mr. Spring?

I feel like a groundhog in my hole and need motivation to get out. Was out earlier at the Tile Setter's. But... he wasn't there but on a job making $$. Did talk to his son and showed him the exactly 1/8 inch difference and he seemed to think no problem sticking extra mortar under there. But let's wait until we hear it from the Horse's mouth. What a silly saying, horses don't talk!
I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

Plllog, I hope you're sleep rhythms are back in synch. Thanks for the nice but full of price link for the Demereyre Wok. So your Gagg cooktop has magnets in it to stick to the Gagg WOK ring? Beautiful. Does it make sense to spend $350 on a Wok? Plllog, have you ever considered that a true Chinese carbon steel wok on a ring might also work? I believe steel is magnetic. I'm curious indeed. About the fridge, no the contract for a swap was very informal and really no issue to back out. I mean even he might say, I really don't need it. So, will just keep it.

Stef what's up in SA today? You know you're due for your nice Tortilla Soup.

Speaking of Tortillas, look what I bought last night!

Delicious. Great for the newborn vegetarian. Check out the ingredients.

o
Whoops

Forgot the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stef's Treat and Plllog's too!

o

Did you intend to provide a link? Yes, Tortilla Soup is coming up again soon. This time I'll try a closeup like those fancy stylist photos.

Today was a beautiful day here 80F/27C with low humidity and nearly cloudless blue sky. Quite normal for this time of year unlike the cold we've had.

Googled carbon steel for induction and got several options under $100.

An experienced tile setter should be able to solve the mortar problem. You don't want glazed tile with unfinished edges to stick out.

o
RE: Wegmans

Cross posted while I was out researching your wok issue. See you added the link.

That's nice, a Wegman's in Buffalo. I miss Wegman's almost as much as Trader Joe's. I've seen Ezekial products but never tried them. We have some good stores here too. When I first moved to the northeast I found the selections so limited. You had to go to special gourmet markets ($$$) to find items that are in a regular store in Texas. They are getting a lot better.

o

Thanks Stef you answered the question. The old steel wok from the Chinese markets will work. And I'm so happy for you for the great weather. Holy heat and sun. By the way, did all the SA rystras ever make the frigid temps?

When I was at the Food Court the other day ordering Oriental, the cook was an accomplished Chinese wokker and he literally lifted the wok out off the gas concave hole and tossed the food with left hand while using spatula with the right.

All the while. I was chuckling at the senseless argument I once had with my Sisiter who claimed that both a flat bottomed and Cast iron wok was the superior format. I could just imagine, actually not, this cook trying to pick up a cast iron wok and tossing LOL!

o
RE: Woks and ristras

A cast iron wok? They do make them, but pretty sure carbon steel is the standard.

The ristras on the fence were in the picture Tex took of the snow. The chiles are dried so they can stay outside if you choose.

o
Reflection

Actually just think that was Ms. Wonderful's original plan and then I came along.

Chuckle. Why? I was reading about the building of the Taj Mahal in India. Apparently it took about several hundred years to complete. So I can just imagine that each successive King likely changed the plans of the previous; surely for the better, before it was finally completed to the absolute masterpiece that it is currently.

Now I'm not saying that we'll be able to equal THAT feat, but our little Mexican engineering team is wonderful.

Man bowing head gratefully to The Deep South and The Pacific :)

o
Food

Stef, glad you like Wegman's too. I think it's a Goldmine. Beautiful, cozy, well merchandised, the way a supermarket should be. Sadly, I can't say we have a Canadian equivalent. Their competitor in Buffalo is Tops. A bright WHITE obnoxious environment. Lucky for Wegman's, no competition.

o
It's Saturday Night

Where's Amy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy!

o

The Temptations, good stuff.

Here's some good Texas sound for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antone

o

OK just came back to my "hole."

Stef-That was fun! I mean I never heard anything like that. I think I have to get a taste of Texas. I've just never been to The South and I know I would enjoy it.

BTW you don't think our Pacific Princess is wining and dining in the newly tiled Kitchen tonight do you? We haven't heard a peep out of her all day.

o

Oh Oh, just remembered our Pacific Princess is still down. Siniffly and coughly and miserably. But if she's not out playing with us that's a good thing since it means she's "napping".

Stay under there Plllog. Stef and I will take care of the routine stuff.

I think I'll make some Hot and Sour soup for you even without a kitchen. Your virus buddies have been staying over a little too long. It's time to give them the boot, I mean scoot!

o

Glad you enjoyed the Texas Tornados, they really capture the sound of San Antonio. No one rocks the accordion like Flaco Jimenez. Hope you had a chance to check out some of their other music listed there.

Are you ready for a closeup? DH requested Tortilla Soup for lunch, so here version 2.0.

Photobucket

BTW that's without flash, just really bright and sunny here.

o

Oh Oh, just remembered our Pacific Princess is still down. Siniffly and coughly and miserably. But if she's not out playing with us that's a good thing since it means she's "napping".

Stay under there Plllog. Stef and I will take care of the routine stuff.

I think I'll make some Hot and Sour soup for you even without a kitchen. Your virus buddies have been staying over a little too long. It's time to give them the boot, I mean scoot!

o

Something strange on the site. Problems posting.

o
Steff's Specialty

D E L I C I O S O!

Thanks Stef. That's so sweet of you or should I say so spicy of you. Such a nicely arranged photo and I can only imagine the delicious taste :(

Are those Chillies really HOT? If so, I do admire your chili sense which means you can keep up with the Mexicans.

Hah, I was listening to all the other Tex stuff on Youtube. I'm a sucker for music especially when it's foreign to me.

Plllog, we're getting worried. I hope you're OK. Are you? I'm sure Stef's Tortilla Soup can help, if there's leftovers.

o

Thanks Solman. Tortilla Soup usually takes a holiday in the summer so that may be the last of it. Those are Hatch New Mexico green chilies and they are milder than Jalapenos. I have eaten Mexican food all my life so I'm not afraid of a little heat. Don't like it to overpower other flavors though.

Besides not feeling well, I think plllog is busy with Passover prep. It would be great if her kitchen is ready for the big reveal by then.

The story on the music is that German immigrants brought the accordion to this area in the 1850's and merged the polka with traditional Mexican folk songs and Conjunto was born. It's a lot of fun to dance to. The music changes with the times--blues, rock, disco, you can hear it all in there. Did you hear Freddy Fender's "Wasted Days" yet? That was practically an anthem way back when.

o

Nope. Old steel wok would work if it had enough connection to the induction, but only about 1/4" above the surface of most induction gets the magnetic field, and you have to have contact for it to work. I think the little ball feel on the Demeyere or the Gagg ring, communicate a lot of magneticishness to the wok. The Gagg doesn't do with my unit. Only the Gagg wok unit. There are plenty of flat bottomed woks that work fine on induction for less. I showed the Demeyere because you were so taken with the Gagg.

There's plain flat, or flat outside round inside. There are others. Carbon steel is a good choice, but only comes flat for induction. The round inside is Lodge cast iron. I've also seen it in clad, I think, but I can't find it.

Wok rings don't work on induction. And remember, when you lift the wok off the induction the unit may turn off.

Sunny here. Lots of unpacking and washing washing washing. Very tired. Still snuffly but not really virusy.

Love Flaco Jimenez. Texas has awesome music, but oh, so upbeat! I once was at Asleep At The Wheel live, and their "slow" "somber" ballads were peppier than a lot of people's happy songs. :) Thanks for the link. I'd never heard the Texas Tornadoes. Supergroups aren't always super, but I really liked that!

o

Great to hear you are unpacking and feeling better, plllog.

So the Texas sound is a hit. Asleep at the Wheel is great. They're doing a concert in Eagle Pass soon, but that's too close to the border for us. Not to mention the "Miles and miles of Texas"....

o

Nanci Griffith, Steve Earle, Allison Kraus, Marcia Ball, Dixie Chicks, Slaid Cleaves, Jerry Jeff Walker, Blame It On Texas, Los Lonely Boys, Emmy Lou Harris, Townes Van Zant, Austin Lounge Lizards, Iris Dement, Roger Wallace, not to mention the much missed Stevie Ray Vaughan. And those are just ones y'all let out for the rest of us to hear.

o
Farewell True North. And a Salute To You.

Plllog-better-Yeaaa-Passover Prepper-Texas tunes keeper.

Stef-Texas tunes convertor.

We're now on board for a new chapter.

NEWS- Solman's coming to America to live!!!... maybe. Likely. Where?
More later....

P.S. Good thing Plllog's got the Kitchen reno done.

o

Junior Brown, Lyle Lovett and ...

Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, no list of Texas music could be complete without "Wooly Bully."

Great list and it's pretty close to the music I listened to when we lived in Boston. Born in Austin (yes, really), Banned in Boston.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happening now

o

Stef-Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs.

What a song!

Texas-you really do have a vibe. Good vibe. Good vibes.

Crack me up. I was on the floor watching this video. Funny guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooly Bully

o
Amy, Pay Attention Will Ya!

Texas soul?

Nice!

Plllog, easy on the elbows!

Stef- turn it up, nice huh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Listen Up

o

Elbows?

Solman, are you serious?? You're not selling the Colorful Mexican Kitchen, are you? That would be such a shame!!

o

So you're coming to America and we assume it's not just a shopping trip to Buffalo. Spring break travel, but you'll keep us waiting for more word. I never understood spring break until I lived up north for a while.

That video..oh no, I'd forgotten how really, really silly that was.

o
Good Morning America

Extra Extra... Read all about it, Solman's on his way no doubt about it!

;;;; GIGGLE

Before we get to that, gotta tell you about my Culinary extravaganza this evening. How does a new born Vegetarian cook a nice meal without a Kitchen? Answer--->Casbah!

Let's re-phrase. prepare a nice meal.

I noticed this lady in the Supermarket line last night and was interested in her basket ;) So, I asked her where she got that thing. A hop skip and jump to Aisle 2 and in it went into my Sainsbury's Jute Shopping Bag. (yes in Canada you bring your own, just like Europe, or pay .05 cents per bag)

So tonight, I pulled the boxe(s) out, some Natural Spring Water, 2 fresh tomatoes, a fork, and started mixing. Put it in the fridge for 20 minutes and Woallah! It was Tabouli Salad with Hummus and the Ezekkel Sprouted Grain Tortillas for Din din. DELICIOUS!! This Casbah is totally pure and natural. No junk and poison. I still can't believe it. Hope you USA-ers can get it way down there.

Did I hear way-down-there? As in the U S of A?

Ok let's spill the beans (hopefully before they're cooked).

Last night:

Solman reads Toronto Star in bed.

Solman turns page and abruptly stops at Headline:

Price of Toronto Parking Lot gets Home In Florida

Article opens:

"Half price homes? Canadians pounce on the sunbelt."

"Last November Stacey found herself in Florida pondering whether to buy a condo in Naples or one in nearby Sarasota. The Toronto woman ended up buying both! Not since the Japanese started snapping up Manhattan, have a group of foreign buyers been as prevalent in US Markets."

No bidding wars
No exchange rate difference
No snow

$55,000

Underground Parking spot in Downtown Toronto
One bedroom condo in Naples

$109,000

A co-op apartment at Bathurst and Eglinton
Home with a Pool in Phoenix ---> $103,000!!

$249,000

An UGLY SMALL Scarborough Bungalow
a 2,100 sq/ft Bungalo on a 1/4 acre near Kennedy Space Centre

$308,000

An older UGLY UGLY house north of The Junction
Five bedroom luxury in Phoenix

$600,000

A semi-detached house in Riverdale
A 4,300 square foot home in a gated Phoenix golf course community!!!

Now you guys understand why I've been doing Perfect 10 Russian Cartwheels across my floor all day?

As I mention earlier, I was thinking of moving to TO where all the half million dollar bidding nonsense is going on. Then Coach Plllog suggested who needs to be in there full time when an hour and half drive lets you swoop in when needed and back to the "reasonably priced" country. And a move to an ugly, big, congested, overpriced city isn't really moving up, it's moving sideways and emptying your wallet.

America. The South. Sunshine. Beaches. Tennis. Running. Boxster. Palms on my lawn. That sounds just a "little" better than TO. If you move, move up. Right Stef?

Solman, are you serious?? You're not selling the Colorful Mexican Kitchen, are you? That would be such a shame!!

No no Silly!!! We still need a nice Colorful Mexican Kitchen to come home to when Spring starts. Them Bulldogs aint gonna let us stay more than 6 are they?

Caveats:

The article was quick to warn of proceeding cautiously. The high US foreclosure rate continues. For some reason high in Florida. Investment should not be money making oriented and longer term outlook. My motive is strictly lifestyle boost and I'm frankly totally bored of my current environment.

1. Will I be able to stand the constant badgering of The Border Bulldogs every time I leave for Buffalo?

2. Can I accept this wild west mentality of Guns knowing that anywhere I go, people actually have guns... and may use them on me! For a Canadian, that's very unsettling. Do you guys feel nervous? Ever see shootings or heaven forbid, been in one?

3. The Danger, robberies etc. is MUCH higher than Canada; but is that just in bad areas or even the 'Model neighborhoods" get it.

4. This goes a little against my "new Life philosophy." That you can still enjoy life without having to own everything. But the prices are just so alluring. As in man goes to Florida. Man opens newspaper. Man rents Apt or home. Simple. No ownership, no headache. Need a change. Rent elsewhere. Naples today. L.A tomorrow.

4. Can I still use my free Canadian Healthcare down there? Will they honor it? I'll have to check here with the Gov't

Stef- You probably have some good thoughts on this since you and DH sort of did this inside your borders.

Plllog- I hope the article hasn't motivated YOU to move NORTH to get away from that smelly Pond beside you. If it has, the Kitchen's mine! All right, after Passover :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock The Casbah

o

Plllog- nice find on the Wok. Interesting twist on flat bottom. Literally only the bottom is flat. The wok is round. Brilliant. Would you pay the bucks for the Gagg/Demereyre Induction woks? REal objects of desire on one hand. But seriously, the best Oriental food in the world is cooked in a $12 hand hammered Carbon Steel wok.

As for inside shape, I absolutely refuse to ever cook in a flat bottomed WOK.
A WOK it is not.

o

I think I have Casbah couscous in my pantry. Yes, that's in my pantry. But Solly, dear!! Instant hummus? Surely you jest? I've never even seen that before. Making couscous from scratch is a disgusting messy PITA. And makes the hands hurt literally.

Hummus:
Garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Can or jar is fine, or soak them overnight.
Tahini. Can or jar or make your own in a food processor.
Crushed garlic.
Lemon.
Salt (optional).

Put beans and tahini in miximg bowl. Squeeze some lemon juice Use a potato masher or big fork to mash them together. Add a bunch of crushed garlic and a pinch of salt. If it's very stiff, add a little more lemon juice. If it's too stiff add a little hot water. Mash some more. Good hummus is not completely smooth like a machine made it. There should be little bits of bean or it's overworked, which is why some people add (nasty) oil.

Here they give you a nickel back for each bag you bring.

Thanks for the reassurance about the America thing. Yes, 6 mo. on a tourist visa last time I looked. I understand snowbird. An actual house is a much better investment than a condo, but absentee maintenance is a nightmare.

Bad things happen everywhere. Good things happen everywhere. I've seen anyone brandish a weapon, but there was a suicide by cop within hearing distance of where I was, once. People in movies have handguns. And people in Texas. It is true that there's more violent crime where there's more heat. If the crooks are too cold they go inside and try to figure out how to steal by computer. For more on this read Romeo and Juliet. If it weren't for the heat the Montegues and Capulets wouldn't have been brawling and Mercutio would never have been killed, and Romeo would never have been banished and Juliet would never have faked her death leading to Romeo's suicide and Juliet poisoning herself for real. Moral: Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Florida is more Cuban and Dominican, though, of course, there are also Mexicans. Also very humid, though not so bad in the Winter. But culturally very like New York. I guess New Mexico isn't warm enough, but it's exceedingly beautiful and has some of the oldest Spanish/Mexican settlement in North America. Phoenix is a big city. Have you checked out Tucson? I don't know much about Texas, but Houston is lovely in the Fall. And don't forget the Gulf Coast.

Re woks, I don't think carbon steel is heavy enough to do the flat out/round in thing, though there are quite a few different versions. Joyce Chen (the flat bottomed carbon steel) is a pretty good brand for basic Chinese cooking tools. There are two kinds of flat bottomed woks. Some are basically frying pans with wok sides and unnecessary. There are also the ones that have a small contact flatness that shouldn't prevent proper wokking, though it would likely mean you'd have a larger amount of oil for frying which might be harder to keep at temperature.

I think the Demeyere is cute. But instead of popping for it, you could get a portable wok burner and a carbon steel, Chinatown wok. The only problem is that if you do it under your (properly venting to the exterior) hood, the wok will be a bit high for optimal comfort. Not a big deal if you're cooking for one or two in a small wok. And you can take your portable with you on your snowbirding adventures.

o

Buying a condo/house in Florida? Hmmm, where to begin on that one? Florida real estate investment has been boom or bust for at least a century. One of the reasons for the most recent crash is the foreign investors who walked away as soon as prices started to fall.

Prices have fallen a lot, but there's a possibility that there are several more waves of foreclosures on the way and prices may not turn back up for a long time.

The price of a condo may be low, but the maintenance fees will make up for that over time. Don't count on renting it out as the market is flooded with cheap rentals.

Buying a house in a gated community would help keep it more secure when you are not there. You will still have maintenance fees.

Florida doesn't interest me that much. South Florida is really just the northeast with palm trees. Most of the rest is pretty much like any other overbuilt suburb. I remember some news stories that foreigners in rental cars are crime targets in tourist areas.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Like plllog, I prefer the west and southwest US for the long term. Las Vegas has pretty good prices, but they are apparently stabilizing. Here in Texas, prices have not dropped that much except in Dallas and that isn't a place you would escape to in the winter. Houston is not a tourist town either.

I don't think we would buy a condo anywhere unless we really wanted to go back to the same place all the time. It does limit you and we really like to see something different.

No gunmen running loose around here and I have never seen anyone use a gun for anything other than target practice. If you stick with neighborhoods that have low crime rates, you should be good.

I worked with a Canadian a while back and he used the company provided health plan. He intended to retire to Canada for the "free" health care. My understanding is that Canadians who come here for treatment not available there pay for it themselves.

Tabouli isn't that hard to make from scratch and then you have fresh herbs instead of dried, rehydrated. It doesn't keep well because the lemon juice breaks it down quickly.

o
Florida Dream Goes Bust

I don't think we would buy a condo anywhere unless we really wanted to go back to the same place all the time. It does limit you and we really like to see something different.

Florida is more Cuban and Dominican, though, of course, there are also Mexicans. Also very humid, though not so bad in the Winter.But culturally very like New York.

Man on Iceberg listens to Ladies of Fine Wisdom. Particularly Stef's famous words of limiting and liking to see something different. Well said Stef.

Plllog, I found New York rather harsh, to put it mildly. So the cultural similarity you mentioned doesn't exactly motivate me.

o

"Solly" huh?

I like it! It has a nice ring. Solly meets Polly and offers her a cracker!

Moral: Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
(into folder)

Plllog that heat story was fun. It's true. Manila is a stifling swamp and it has the highest murder rate in the world. Miami, I'm not even touching that. You feel the danger immediately upon leaving the airport. Rental cars cannot be marked due to targeting as Steff said. Public transit are a real no no etc. But I still like HOT!

Years ago, I went to Cancun via Miami with an overnight stopover. Upon arrival in Cancun, we actually felt safe. In Miami we were on edge.

NOTE: that was more than 10 years ago. Today, the climate in Mexico is a whole new ball game. Cancun centro is extremely dangerous, as are highways, etc. I used to stand on the highway at night, outside the Airport, with my backpack, to flag down the bus. Today it's unthinkable. You would be stripped, bagged and dumped, literally.

Economic Crisis + Drug Cartel Turf War = Peligroso

o

The culture in Florida changes depending on where you are. Miami is very different from Tampa for example. You have different expectations from each. I enjoy visiting New York because I don't expect it to be like home and we always get excellent service. Las Vegas is less fun than it should be because the service seems universally surly and you don't expect that from a city out west.

Just saw a report that things are getting worse in Mexico and the drug violence has touched almost every part of the country. A family from El Paso was murdered in Juarez over the weekend presumably because they had Texas license plates.

o

You're right Stef. Things are getting worse for poor Mexico.

My friend, living near Cancun for past 20 years went to the city one evening and as darkness fell, he could actually feel the danger in the streets and left promptly. Now, Cancun tourists never leave the Hotel Zone for the Downtown.

Remember the Canadian couple that was murdered in their resort about 2 years ago in the Riviera Maya? When I was there last year, a French girl was murdered and tossed onto the beach. In Yucatan, the 8 beheaded Police officers were left on display on the side of the Hwy. So, things are rough. Mexico was in the top 3 most dangerous countries in the World Safety Index! Go figure.

On the last trip, I was on the bus in Guanajuato and conversed with my seat mate. I asked him what he did for a living, and he was a Police Forensic. He actually showed me pictures on his cameraphone of recently slain murdered corpses. Even highlighted the narco hits and how they can immediately identify it. It was disturbing yet so normal to him. I saw one guy with like 50 bullets to his head hunched over the steering wheel of his SUV. There was a sad one of a teenage mother and her daughter with bullets to the head of both. I wish I hadn't seen it. Being a cop, he told me he always has to watch every step he takes, including leaving the house, coming home etc. etc. And just think, I was sitting beside him!

That was X-Mas 2008.

o
This Just In

The Canadian Foreign Affairs Dep't has officially issued a Warning to all Canadians to avoid any Travel to Mexico at all cost.

Wow.

I hope the Talaveras will get here safe. Poor things.

o
News Flash. This Just In.

finally good news from Mexico!

My Lupi just confirmed that our new Guads and quarter rounds are coming out of the Oven tomorrow morning. Yeah!

Another interesting note on tile thickness. Even they in Mexico have this issue. Many of the clients who had Talaveras they bought 50 years ago and wish to remodel or whatever are now faced with the thickness issue of the new fat ones matching. She said no problem. Tile setters use more mortar behind those and less on the new fat ones. It's done every day in Mexico.

We now return to our regular programming.

o

That is good news about the tile. I'm sure they will arrive safe and sound after border inspection of course.

Sad news about travel to Mexico, we have the same warnings here. I remember checking into our hotel in Cancun and immediately heading into the real city. We had a delightful dinner and our waiter was working on his English as he saw that as a way to move up to the big hotels. Only spent one night in Cancun before heading into the jungle for a week. Mexico was always a great place to visit. I miss being able to head to the border for a day.

o

Solman, what's "hot" to you? South Florida isn't hot in the Winter by my meter, but maybe it is for you? Have you thought about the Virgin Islands?

If you just want a heck of a lot warmer than the only in fiction temperatures you've been telling us about, I suppose any southern town would do. Las Vegas is probably too cold. Galveston too likely to get eaten by a hurricane. Naples is nice, though I haven't been there in almost 20 years. Should say "was". Tucson is good. There are some nice towns in San Diego County where you could maybe find something affordable. Or you could be a real snowbird and get an RV instead. Not an investment, of course. Depreciation not appreciation, but you could move your house with you and chase the sun.

o

Hi guys. Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I have been cheating on you guys with a gardenweb gardening forum ... http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/sqfoot/.

I even had missed a post to my thread "Opinions on our kitchen layout - - in beach cottage" from FEB 9 !!! Yikes.

o

Hi Angela, Good to hear from you. I was thinking about you and the others who dropped off along the way. It is time for gardening and I've been out planting the last few days but today is rainy.

Plllog just reminded me that I see the Canadians are headed home for spring. The interstate is crowded with Ontario plates lately. Plenty of RVs in the mix. They camp in south Texas all winter. Solman would feel right at home.

Well at least we've given you more info to consider.

o

Hey, Angela!! Good to see you!

Hey, Steff, did you hear the guy on American Idol doing Texas Stones?

Solman, I added the window casings to the end of the Tile Tour if you want to see them.

o

Angela-welcome back and thanks for stopping in. We always miss you and the fab beach cottage.

Stef- you've gotta like my enthusiasm. I mean 24 hours ago, I virtually had my bags packed. But now they remain at the front door until further notice. Looks like you and Plllog saved me from the Florida floodgates.

Doing the new thing is important for variety. The world is just so vast and full of so much beauty that it's very discovery is full of enrichment. I think for me the element of Culture Shock is also intriguing. It forces you to adapt, respect, and behave accordingly. That makes travel interesting. I am always amazed by Travelers who go to foreign countries and expect to replicate their life at home. When unable, they become rude, aggressive, respectless. And the poor folk in the foreign country wonder why the Tourists don't just stay at home if that's what they expect abroad.

Virgin Islands huh? Head scratch.

Plllog- thanks for the recipe for my Hummus. Slated for weekend preparation. Poor Casbah, you just took a potential lifetime client away. Stef's right by the way, the dehydrated Lemon does kill the Parsley intensity. There is NO comparison to Tabouli with fresh Parsley. When do you have to have all the Passover food prep done by? Stef and I would like to offer help but with the long distances and all, you understand. I'd be the "go to Whole Foods to pick up stuff" guy. Hopefully, I wouldn't be distracted by the Pacific or "other distractions" along the way.

o

Sweet Plllog. Really sweet.

Great design and such a nice tile job. I pray my guy is as good as your's.

Plllog, let's get your beauty into the fancy Home magazines. It deserves the airplay. I'd love to know or hear your tile setter's comments when you showed him the job and the tiles.

Oh look what I spotted! your favorite little Le Crueset Saucier.

And I just noticed the froggy tile. Cute.

o

No, no, no magazines! This isn't a showpiece or a showplace. It's just going to be my happy zone. I posted over in Discussions about my sink. :) Good spot on the little saucier. Love that little pot.

Casbah makes quality products. You can get the couscous and even falafel mix if they have it. Have to admit I totally missed the tabouli thing because the hummus mix had me so flustered. Steff is so right: tabouli is very easy to make too. When you make your hummus remember to pronounce it ChWHO-moose (with a ch as in Bach). Not only will it be "correct" it'll have that soupon of Canadiana too!

I'm with you on the tourist thing. I think people who are unused to travel get weirded out and revert to preoperational behavior. I remember being in a bakery in Rome with an Australian girl who was part of our group. She was having a hiss because they didn't understand her English so near to a tourist hotel. Amazing. A couple weeks earlier, we were in Austria and I only knew two words of German, I wanted to buy a cushion, so wandered into an upholsterer's shop. I smiled and pointed at a pillow. The gentleman there wrote down a number. I paid him. He gave me the cushion. I said, "Danke," or something like that. Both happy. It's easy to be polite and conduct business with no language in common. I don't know what was with that Aussie girl.

o

Plllog, you're German's good. Sehr Gut! Shame about the Aussie girl. But I have a better one for you. Tuol Sleng or S-21 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia where The Khmer Rouge tortured and killed roughly 20,000 people during their reign of terror.

While I was there, a converted school, in which everything was kept exactly as it was when the Khemer Rouge suddenly fled in 1975, with actual blood splattered on all the walls inside, I saw this Aussie tourist girl dancing and smiling happily with her iPod.

Where she danced, just years before, men women and children screamed in terror, saw their comrades executed, and counted their last moments of life.

I thought how can this be.

I share this photo which will always be in my memory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Responsible Tourism and Respect For Mankind

o

Not good when a visitor displays disrespect in such a place. We've seen it too and it does happen more than we would like to think. You can only be responsible for your reaction and hope they understand that it's not typical.

o

Thanks Stef. Glad to see you recognize such things.

I guess that's where the saying of young and foolish comes from. But 20,000 people died in that building. My stomach was sick. I didn't bother with the Killing Fields, 9 km away. This was enough reality.

o

Stef- Notice that Plllog's trying to get rid of me!

She's shipping me to the Virgin Islands. Luckily I'm a good sport.

Hmmmm. Have you been?

o

Stef- Notice that Plllog's trying to get rid of me!

She's shipping me to the Virgin Islands. Luckily I'm a good sport.

Hmmmm. Have you been?

o
Sink-Faucet Options

Well we have a new assignment for today.

I have to order the sink and faucet but have run into a little confusion.

Number of Holes

The sink comes with 3 holes or single hole. With 3 holes you must use the metal deck plate. Single hole gives same look as Plllog's cutie.

Because the sink I'm ordering also has the faucet mounting deck, which one do you guys think is more visually pleasing? Is it my eyes or do you lose a little of Portland's base symmetry with the metal plate?

Faucet Color

In our Faucet Pageant, the Portland was the winner in Tuscan Bronze. Now we have a White Sink, White Oven, so should the faucet still be Bronze or better in Brushed Stainless/Stainless to match Wall Oven handles and or sink?

gt34-1py0-rct-c1

Unknown-1

gt34-1pc0-rct-c2

gt34-1pc0-rct-v1

o

Silly! I've never been, but it looks very nice, tropical, still U.S. or U.K., and, I'm pretty sure, very safe (do check that part). Tropical paradise. Just trying to be helpful.

o

In case this is an influence on the decision.

0097246_PE242587_S4.JPG

o

Interesting cross post going there.

Hmmm, the faucet looks good in the Tuscan Bronze, but now we have a lot of white going. Definitely without the plate. So.... after consideration I would go with brushed stainless and do the hardware in brushed stainless also.

o
RE: Forget the estate sale, I want to see the kitchen

Found this on a Craigslist estate sale post. The sale looks like fun, but I really want to see this kitchen.

Photobucket

It could use a good cleaning, but what fun just to be in there for a while.

Tile is beginning to look good to me again and I wonder why that is.

o

Stef- Just a couple of ideas in case the Tuscan Bronze knobs are in question.

I found these fairly rustic and nice ones:

DSCF9173

DSCF9174

Unknown-1

Here is a link that might be useful: Solid Color Knob Idea

o

Agreed. No plate. You don't need it, so why get it?

We were talking Tuscan Bronze because you were also going to get your knobs in light bronze. I don't think the faucet color really has anything to do with appliance color. The contrast of bronze with the white sink would look good, and the warm, brown tone will tie in with the yellow of the tiles. Stainless would look fine, but I think less interesting. I prefer the polished. The brushed looks like it comes from a different design aesthetic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here