Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-plastic sippy/sport cups

Posted by budge1 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 14:58

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else is going crazy trying to find alternatives to plastic sippy cups or sport cups for older kids.

I'm not one to jump on the latest scare mongering fad, but I've heard and read some really intelligent things by people I trust about the plastisizers in plastic products and the damage they could be doing to our kids (and adults).

I've always used plastic sippy cups with my 2 girls and one has always had warm milk in hers (I'm slightly embarassed to say at 8yrs she still likes this in a sippy cup in the morning). Warm drinks are a particular concern with plastics.

We bought my older daughter a Sigg container for water, but I hate to put anything else in it because it is so hard to clean. The lid also broke after about a month. I tried searching the web and found a product called Kleen Kanteen. We've been using them for about 3 months now and I really love them. The top is wider than on the sigg so cleaning and filling is easier and you can get ice cubes in for cold drinks. The water and juice also tastes better in a metal container (according to the kids) and my kids like the shape and feel better than the old plastic cups too. I've just ordered the sports top for the older one's cup and a bottle for myself for summer.

I'm not affilated with the company, but just thought I would pass on what I've found. It is almost impossible to eliminate plastics from our food handling storage, but I'm trying. I don't use plastic utensils when boiling spaghetti, etc., I bought glass juice jugs for in the fridge, and store food in glass containers rather than plastic. But there are so many other areas I find it hard to eliminate - yoghurt, cream cheese, cheese all come packaged in plastic. I've even heard that tetra paks and milk cartons have plastic lining (but i'm not sure if that is true).

If anyone has ideas to share on other ways to eliminate plastics, I'd love to hear about them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-plastic sippy/sport cups

We use plastic and I have no worries about it except for heating it in a microwave. Warm milk isn't a concern (and I'll take DH"s word for that since he's a chemical engineer).

But, at Whole Foods market they have a nice water bottle type thing made in Switzerland I think...that is great for little ones like mine (2 years old) and big kids like me (not 2) and it's metal. It insulates well and it's made really nicely. Not cheap, but a nice piece.

o

Hey igloochic, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convert others. Just something I've become convinced about by own research (definately not a chemical engineer, but do have a science degree so feel somewhat able to follow the arguments pro and con).

I've found talking to other moms that while they have concerns, they aren't finding other options, so I thought I'd throw this out there for those who are looking.

The Swiss bottles are the Siggs I mentioned above and like I say they work, but we find them hard to clean and can't get cubes in them. The klean kanteen isn't cheap either, but a bit less than the sigg bottles.

Does anyone out there know if it's true about the tetra paks and milk cartons being lined in plastic?

o

Try looking at REI if you have one near you, or in their catalog.

o

klean kanteen makes sippy cups out of stainless

Here is a link that might be useful: klean kanteen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here