Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

Non-plastic sippy/sport cups

budge1
16 years ago

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else is going crazy trying to find alternatives to plastic sippy cups or sport cups for older kids.

I'm not one to jump on the latest scare mongering fad, but I've heard and read some really intelligent things by people I trust about the plastisizers in plastic products and the damage they could be doing to our kids (and adults).

I've always used plastic sippy cups with my 2 girls and one has always had warm milk in hers (I'm slightly embarassed to say at 8yrs she still likes this in a sippy cup in the morning). Warm drinks are a particular concern with plastics.

We bought my older daughter a Sigg container for water, but I hate to put anything else in it because it is so hard to clean. The lid also broke after about a month. I tried searching the web and found a product called Kleen Kanteen. We've been using them for about 3 months now and I really love them. The top is wider than on the sigg so cleaning and filling is easier and you can get ice cubes in for cold drinks. The water and juice also tastes better in a metal container (according to the kids) and my kids like the shape and feel better than the old plastic cups too. I've just ordered the sports top for the older one's cup and a bottle for myself for summer.

I'm not affilated with the company, but just thought I would pass on what I've found. It is almost impossible to eliminate plastics from our food handling storage, but I'm trying. I don't use plastic utensils when boiling spaghetti, etc., I bought glass juice jugs for in the fridge, and store food in glass containers rather than plastic. But there are so many other areas I find it hard to eliminate - yoghurt, cream cheese, cheese all come packaged in plastic. I've even heard that tetra paks and milk cartons have plastic lining (but i'm not sure if that is true).

If anyone has ideas to share on other ways to eliminate plastics, I'd love to hear about them.

Comments (4)