Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Don't read this, I'm just whining about a pet peeve

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 13:01

Ok, sorry in advance if I offend someone or if you do this but this bugs me.

Someone posts a question, something like:
Those of you who own or have ever owned a widget, please tell me what you like and don't like about widgets, or what brand widget is best and why.

So someone else comes along and posts:
I've never owned a widget and never will. So sorry, I can't give you any opinion.

Ok, so... if you don't have anything to say, why did you post? Why not just skip that thread and move on to one where you actually have something of interest to add or ask?

Ok, sorry, enough griping, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't read this, I'm just whining about a pet peeve

I hear ya! Along the same lines, it peeves me when someone says:
I've never liked widgets and wouldn't have one.

or

My sister's first husband's aunt twice removed had a widget and said it was nothing but trouble.

or

Widgets are a gimmick/trend and nothing more.

o

Well, I've never had a pet peeve quite like that, and don't forsee that bothering me, so sorry, I can't give you any opinion.

Just messin' with ya, lowspark. Love ya! :-)

o
oops!

Just realized my first one was the same as yours. I originally had it combined with the second and third as one but decided to split them up.

o

Hey, every once in a while, I'll post on something that I don't own. SOmetimes my mind is filled with collective wisdom of this group, and I'll just burp it out on occasion. Like widgets have been discussed to death, and over the years, many people have waded in on the subject. So the topic comes up again, (and if I can resist the urge to say "Do a search!"), and no one remembers to state that this comes up often enough, just understand that widgets are XYZ compatible, and not ABC compatible. Even tho I don't own a widget and never plan to.

OK, in defense of the non-widget-owning posters out there.

(I'm glad I am among friends on this thread, because some people would skewer me for this.... well, they do anyway, but that's their problem. Heheh)

o

pecanpie, you're killing me!! LOL

seeking - exactly! And of course, the "Widgets are a gimmick/trend and nothing more." answer will spur a new thread altogether:
Should I get a widget or will it scream 2006 in ten years?

o
more on widgets

fairegold,
Don't get me wrong! I've also answered threads in that vein - I don't own one but I do know this about them.

What bugs me is the answer which specifically says, "I have no answer."

It's not a question of whether you've actually owned a widget, but more a question of if your answer contains a valid response to the question.

o

Widgets are a trendy gimmick, I hate widgets and I'd never let a widget come within 50 feet of my kitchen, but who cares? It's your kitchen, get what you love!

o

LOL You guys are so funny...
Lowspark - "Don't read this, I'm just whining about a pet peeve." OMG - like THAT didn't make me open this one up first! :-)

By the way...I hear there's a sale on Widgets at Sears..I've never owned one, but it might be something to have....

o

Well, Sears has sales on those all the time. And BTW, they are not made by Kenmore, but by Acme Widget Company, and Sears just adds their badge. SO be sure to compare the Acme widgets and the Kenmore because there can be slight differences.

And whatever you do, don't get the puce color. I hear that is being discontinued and will be replaced with an eggplant color. If, down the line, you need to replace your puce widget, the new color will not match. I recommend black, white or SS widgets.

o

Is your widget resined???

o

If my widget is resined do I need to put something else on it for protection?

o

Don't buy it at Sears. Use the 20% off Home Depot employee discount coupons you can buy on ebay. Only fools pay full price!

o

As long as we're airing pet peeves here.....
It blows my mind, when people who have 500+ square feet of kitchen can't figure out what to with it!

Really, when someone posts they were up all night worrying about where to place the wine fridge, it just pisses me off!

Oh, And Matching finishes on widgets, Will the Polished nickel look bad with the satin nickel?

o

What about threads like these?

Pictures of Widget Systems Anyone?
Stupid poll of the day--widget names?
Gross topic--widgets in attic--Help!
Does a widget have to be stressful?
Daughter living in Italy needs widget advice
Get widgets--Part 10
Everything they say about widgets is true
Finally bit the bullet and bought a widget...it sucks!
How to get widget smell out of house?

And the ever popular:
How about a thread for widgets--just to lighten up the day!

Image hosting by Photobucket

y'all know i'm just messin' witcha!

o

Hi, Paige- you've been busy!

But don't forget the Homeclick weekend sales- free shipping and no tax on your widget order.

o

IKEA has widgets.

ROTFLMAO!!!

This thread is a keeper! More, more!

o

OMG, no one told me that the finishes on my widgets were supposed to match! I guess I will just have to tear out the entire kitchen and start all over again. What would I do without all of you? Thanks Lowspark for starting this thread. I needed a good laugh this evening.
Linda

o

But really, don't you think those widgets are just a little bit over the top? Especially for people who don't even quinckle. In fact, it's almost immoral the way people buy these widgets just to display in their McMansions.

LOL

o

DH and I are very happy with our ABC widgets. Of course, they are still in the box because our kitchen was demo'ed three days ago.

o

Lowspark, if some of those posts annoy you, why read them? Also, why start a thread that states "Don't read this, I'm just whining?"

I don't see the logic in it to be honest. But then again, maybe that's one of my peeves?

Some of you ought to try and remember that you were once annoying others with your questions, comments and suggestions.

o

Here's a picture of my antique copper widget

o
Again RE: Don't read this, I'm just whining about a pet peeve

Let's try that a second time

Here is a link that might be useful: antique copper widget

o

Can someone tell me how to post a picture of my widget?

o

No fair! I'm at work and can't be guffawing out loud!

Where did you put your widget in your new kitchen?

We do quinckle fairly frequently so we need our widgets to be accessible. Which is better-- widget pullouts or widget drawers?

Naya

o

Which is best: a single bowl widget or a double bowl widget?

This always set my teeth on edge: "I want a widget that's warm & inviting." Really? You don't you want one that's cold and intimidating?

o

So, Naya, Sweeby, did either of you quinkle before you cohabitated?

o

In fact, it's almost immoral the way people buy these widgets just to display in their McMansions.

McWidgets??

o

Will a granite widget look dated or quinkled some day?

still ROTFLMAO....

more, more!!

o

I'm a newbie - so I'm sorry if I'm not clear - but what the heck is puce?

Do puce widgets wrinkle more than stainless quinckle?

Should I splurge on the 18k wonder widget or stay with the 12k dependable but in need of sealing fairly frequently base model?

o

As we speak....this was posted today!

When the subject came up, our GC discouraged us from getting a "widget", saying that it just became grubby over time. Therefore, we didn't--we just have false "widget" fronts. I can't give an opinion because I've never had one.

Never had a "widget"

or never had an opinion( as in you whole life?)

o

For those of you with widgets: Do you quinckle more now that you have a widget? My dh doesn't really understand why I want a widget but he's all in favor of quinckling so he told me to go ahead.

o

My contractor said that you don't NEED a widget - just install it to pass the inspection and then get rid of it. You won't regret it! *I* don't have a widget so you don't need one either.

o

My new 18K wonder widget doesn't quinckle any better than my old 12K widget but the pretty handles bring me 4K worth of joy. My heart soars when I use my wonder widget!

o

Teehee! Librarymom, you got the one I was going to do! Funny thread :-)

o

May,
Are widgets Kosher for Passover?

o

May and Pauline, I think they are K for P!:-)

Do you broil your widget with the door open or closed? Also, can you use the convection setting when preparing your widget?

I like this thread!!!
DONNA

o

May and Pauline and Donna and Laura and others, Star-K says widgets cannot be kashered for Passover if they have plastic components. So if you must buy one of these gimmicky devices which even if I could kasher it I wouldn't waste my money on something that will be so out of fashion before it's out of warranty, if you keep kosher get an all metal one or you'll have to cover it with a tarp or hide it in the basement every year.

o

Bahahahahah! What a great thread! However, there should be a warning posted about drinking coffee and reading this thread at the same time could be disasterous.

o

I think I've created a monster.

I actually bought TWO widgets (one is KforP, the other I use year round).

My additional comments:
The line that was quoted above is actually what prompted me to start this thread -- I see those kinds of comments all the time - this one I guess just sent me over the edge.

And - why did I call this thread Don't Read This? It was just a sort of cya thing, in case someone who posts those kinds of posts read this and got mad -- but I suppose that can't be avoided.

MT - get over yourself.

o

Has anyone bought a widget through Homeclick?

Will a 36" widget fit into a 30" cabinet?

o

Will I regret not getting a widget? Oops! I meant to ask will I regret not having children?

o

Speaking of children... I heard that if you install your widget on the counter, it can be dangerous for children since they might turn it on while touching it. My GC said they never install widgets on the counter for this reason.

o

Someone please help me Widsploozieget!

o

lowspark that is such hooey. We all grew up with widgets on the counter and lived to tell about it.

o

Are widgets for hoo hoos only, or also for ding dongs?
And is it OK for ding dongs if they quinckle?

o

hoo hoos and ding dongs!!!! Sweeby, thanks for reminding me -- I laughed out loud!

o

awm wrote: "This always set my teeth on edge: "I want a widget that's warm & inviting." Really? You don't you want one that's cold and intimidating?"

Umm, awm, I like my widgets cold and intimidating, thank you very much. In fact, I prefer it if when you walk into my front door and catch sight of my widget(s), that you immediately pull up your socks, pull back those shoulders, mind how you step, use a coaster, and put things back where you find 'em. That's how I like my widgets.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

(*grin* *grin* *grin* *grin* *grin)

MT, uh ummm hmmm. Do as I say not as I do, eh?

o

Help! My GC has never installed a widget before. Do you have to have a special cabinet made for it? Can you still quinckle in a regular cabinet?

I think I remember someone saying that hoo hoos and ding dongs are better off when quinckling without a widget, but I'm not sure.

o

LOL, you guys are too much!

o

Remember you cannot integrate a widget into inset cabinetry. Huge PITA.

o

We are overbudget already, and the useless-but-trendy widget I want will cost a zillion dollars. Should I get it anyway?

You will never be happy unless you get it. Don't look for a less expensive alternative. "Loving" your widget is worth any price!

Sue

o

Regarding widgets that can be kashered for Passover, my rabbi says only if they're glass and you must have two, one for meat and one dairy. BTW, engineered stone widgets can only be used for pets on passover.

o
Re: How about some whine with that widget?

Don't let your KD pressure you! Will she be using the widget? NO! You will! Go with what you love.

o

Quinckle, quinckle, little star
now we know how warped we are

TKO life takes its toll
so we tot'lly lose control

Ribbing posters left and right
helps to keep the spirit light!

o

I lOVE LOVE LOVE my widget! Except with the hoo hoos (didn't work) and occasionally wish I'd had two installed. Does anyone have this? DO you have pix? Did you put it in the island?

I wish I hadn't let my KD talk me out of quinkling. I was firm on the ding dongs, however, and don't regret it. Really, one of my favorite things about the remodel.

Oh, and should I caulk? Or do you think it will be too modern?

Did you get the airswitch for it? Works great with the quinkle. Love that!

What brand did you get?

o
woops!

Sorry, thought I was in Appliances.

o

By the quinckling of my thumbs,
Something widget this way comes.

o

mindstorm, when you make me laugh at work like you did today, my colleagues get awfully suspicious that maybe I'm not cataloging library books like I should be :)

Your widgets are cold and intimidating? Mine are downright frigid and dictatorial. If you can't figure out whether to use "lie" or "lay," or which fork to use, or the right shape of wine glass, my widgets signal the taste police to forcibly remove you from my house.

o

claybabe, you need the hoo hoo extenders. ABC doesn't ship them with their widgets.

Naya

o

My widgets used to be perky, but lately they seem like they need a lift. Do you think I should try BarKeeper's Friend on them?

o

Thanks, naya, I was afraid of that. I saw them at Homeclick but they are backordered. Has anyone ordered them from Ira Woods? How long are your extenders? Are they blue? Do they come in SS? How did you clip them on? Can I put the extenders on after the original install? Will this make my widget too soft? Now I want cold and foreboding, maybe not TOO dictatorial. But I really like that idea. Will I need caulk for that?

Seeking, Barkeepers friend should work, but "Widget Spridget", although pricier, works better in my HO. (Of course, I use the miracle cloths from the third row down behind the glue next to the silk lilies at Michael's.) I think there is a new gel coming out, for them as well.

Wow, I really should have installed two.

Oh, yeah, and after the extenders did you find quinkling difficult? Do you have photos?

o

How often do you seal or oil your widget ? does it show scratches or dust ?
I hate cleaning so I don't need a high maintenance widget.

o

ROTFL! This is the best thread I've read in a long, long time. Glad I checked in on conversations tonight. Here are mine:

What do you HATE about your widget?

My DH didn't use my special widget cleaner with a miracle cloth, and now it looks like someone has actually USED it, what should I do?

(and lowspark, so you know you're not alone, I had the exact same reaction when I saw that post)

o
Where's the rum when you need it?

OMGoodness! You'll never believe it. My GC installed my widgets too high and they are NOT what I expected! He's been quibling and I've been quaking! The insides aren't the right color or firm feeling! I ordered wood widgets and got plastic. These things aren't screwed in all the way, either. The GC said he was finished and walked out when I started complaining. WHAT AM I going to do? Could you post pictures of how you inserted and installed your widgets? I live in North county....and need someone to come help me ASAP!

OMGoodness. You'll NEVER believe it. I just found out that the type of widgets the GC installed are not for my kitchen. They are for cars. They also have issued a safety recall for all widgets manufactured this year. That means ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl of my widgets must be removed and the holes repaired and painted.

FWIW, there is also a widget forum and a BS forum....you might try posting this thread there.

AND one more thing...as a Microsoft Partner, I recall reading many of their teaching lessons using examples with the Widget name. I believe even talking about Widget's could possibly be a copy right infringement of some type. I don't want to be sued writing about fictional W*dg*ts that could possibly construed as some type of artistic and intellectual infrigement.

(You might want to just take a look at the link below as an example.)

One morrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee question? What is quinkling? A quick tinkle? I've never heard of the word.

Where's my rum? I think I'll make a drink! :=0)

Here is a link that might be useful: possible infringements?

o
I have a new solution.

I'm never using W*dg*ts again. I'm only using Gadgets.

o

Sigh...OK, I ordered my widget on-line and just got it today. I'm soooo dissapointed - just look at it for pete's sake..it's BRIGHT YELLOW. I don't care if it's the best model for quinkling with hoo hoos...this is so not what I wanted. I really wished I would have gotten the SS one now - this thing won't match anything in my kitchen, and now I'm stuck with it. Has anyone ever painted their widget a different color?

o

oooohhhhhhh aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's so timeless, I don't think it will ever look dated; does it come in ORB with a pull out spray ?

Wait a few days; it will grow on you. Did you experience sticker shock at first ?

( I hope everyone realizes that all of the above is intended tongue in cheek and we are only laughing at ourselves; we've all done most of what is reported as pet peeves)

o

Whispering lowly, mitchdesj, at least one person has taken this seriously...or were they trying to jest?

o

OMG! My widget got a SCRATCH!!!

Do you think Bar Keepers friend and a miracle cloth (only the ones from Solutions, of course, not Wally World or *gasp* Costco)will buff out the scratch??

or do I really have to remove the widget (and the countertops as it *is* undermounted) and take the whole thing to a metal shop and have it buffed out??

I *knew* I should have gotten the Silgranite widget...

does this ruin my chances of re-sale?

o

O.K. Ill join in even though Im the one who posted about kids and widgets.:0)
Im just glad I ordered my widget with my HD 20% off coupon I bought off e-bay BEFORE HD got wise.
Its good to laugh even at yourself sometimes. Thanks Lowspark for the Thread!!!

o

Title of thread:
Everyone in my part of the country hates widgets

Content of post:
Went to an open house and heard everyone say "yuck! no way I'd buy this house, it has a widget!"

Actual motivation:
(rubbing hands together): Let's see if I can start an argument!

Result:
Bonafide argument going, in full force.

o

IMHO, trouble is, Meskauskas, your widget is just the wrong yellow. Did you Sweeby-test first? That one is more of a *primary* yellow, when really, a Provencal yellow or maybe EK Tuscan Sunset is what's needed to up the cozy warmth factor. ;-)

o

I thought I hated widgets but that sunshine yellow one just makes my heart sing and just because I must have seen at least 20 different widgets in the current BHG Kitchens and Baths I thought they must be trendy but now I see they're timeless classics and I must have one or maybe 4 because we keep kosher and they sure look like they have plastic in them so I need one for milk and one for dairy and another 2 for milk and dairy for Passover but now I have have to change my whole layout and my color scheme and my granite yet again to make room for those gorgeous yellow widgets and the GC keeps charging me an arm and a leg every time I even make one teensy little change and now maybe I'll have to get a job just to pay for those widgets because everything costs twice as much as we anticipated...

o

claybabe, Confused. You wish you had TWO hoo-hoos???? Ookay! Anyhow, was it the widget that didn't work or was it the hoo-hoos?

awm, where did you get that widget? I searched high and low for one just like that but you must have gotten the last one before it was discontinued. I was planning to pick one up on my next trip to the UK but if I can get one here and spare myself the baggage and customs hassles, that'd be great.

kitchenmom, LOL! That's too bad - I guess you'll have to rip out your kitchen and start over huh? Don't want it to look used or anything. That's disastrous for resale, don't you know?

meskaus, your widget is cool but how did it get past the forestry and game guys? I could swear that is a pachyderm strategically sliced up! So, is it legal? If so, can I get one in the palest acqua-blue color - more blue than green-yellow if you know what I mean. I'd like it to be able to disappear against my backsplash - my very own white elephant! Hee-hee-hee.

o

You do NOT need to oil your widget. If you're doing that you are WASTING YOUR TIME.

o

But do remember to seal it every 6 months. *Every* widget needs to be sealed regularly, no matter what the uninformed widget salespeople try to tell you. And test your proposed widget yourself for stain resistance -- especially the light-colored ones.

o

Is that widget copyrighted? Better find out!

o

Mindstorm, my widget didn't WORK with the hoo hoos, but I still wish I had TWO widgets. Why on earth would I want two hoo hoos?

I found one at Nordstroms today (a widget, mindstorm), and now I wish I'd seen that one before I bought my current one. Maybe I'll craigslist my old one and get two new ones. Anyone have an idea how much I should ask for it?

Anyone know where I can get the extenders? And for a reasonable price: Off brand is fine, but I think I'd like it in the pachyderm, more gray than yellow.

I bet it will go well with my dog fur backsplash: What do you think? (The faustian blue star singed it, so the coarse, longer hair doesn't really catch your eye when you walk in the room; really reads "underfur".)

o

Widget - Use it or lost it?

Did you install your widget on the left or right side?

Widget MT??? Do you like it?

My grandmother still has her widgets. They are timeless. They used widgets in school labs.

o

Who likes their stainless widget?

Talk to me about widgets.

Widgets: yay or nay.

o

Wydget Wydget burning bright
In the kitchens of the trite

No offense, but don't you guys have anything better to do than discuss the necessity of widgets for quinckling? You act like the whole world has widgets but get a clue. Most of us aren't living in million dollar homes and have no plans for widgets. We just wanna get the best bang for our buck on frinks, but it's like you have to get a widget to be on this forum or something. I've been quinckling for years, thank you very much, and have never lived in a house with a widget. You can certainly quinckle just fine without one.

o

And see, this is really the whole thing. You may be able to "quinckle" without a widget, seekingadvice, but that is *completely* different from the true quinkle you could have if you put in a widget. Really, you should. Give up your car, ride the bus, cut coupons, cut your own hair, whatever it takes. A quinkle is worth it. Get what you love.

o

Frankly, I have not ever had one nor would I.

But what really bothers me is this talk of hoo hoos and ding dongs. I think it belongs in another forum and it offends me that it has appeared here which is about kitchens, not hoo hoos and ding dongs. How disgusting.
Then again, with porn in this world perhaps hoo hoos and ding dongs are appropriate to discuss when talking about widgets

Aren't widgets sex toys? Why do all of you want them in your kitchen? What kind of people are you?

o

yeah hampton, you go girl (or boy)! And then there's people like claybabe who want TWO of them!

seeking, what celticmoon said. Size does matter when it comes to widgets.

o

If you do get a widget, be sure to keep it hidden in an appliance garage. If not, Homeclick has a retractable shelf designed just for widgets. The Rev-a-Widget.

But I still don't think you need one. Consumer Reports didn't give them a good rating.

o

Sweeby..(sniff) No, I didn't sweeby-test them first, and now I'm paying the price! However..

Ahem...Ellene dear, would you be interested in purchasing a never-been-out-of-the-box sunshine yellow widget at a discount price? I'd be happy to accomodate..

Mindstorm - no worries about the forrestry and game guys...any resemblence to a pachyderm is purely coincedental. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. As Jerzeegirl pointed out, there are copyright issues at stake, and I'm not going to open myself up to possible litigation because I slandered my widget.

Seekingadvice and Hamptonmeadow...I don't think you're grasping the situation here. OF COURSE you can quinkle without a widget...but it's the LEVEL and QUALITY of quinkling wer'e talking about here. The widget...well, it just takes things to a whole different level, and makes quinkling a much more enjoyable experience. I think it's a kitchen must have, and worth the expense.

o

Hamptonmeadow, are you talking about the widgetmaster?

Consumer Reports, Snookums??? You really can't go by anything they say. Please check the appliance forum - if you are brave.

I went to widget camp and it set me free.

o
Widget Camp

Maggie...OMG..Widget Camp? I love it! LOL

o

I really need your help right now. How do you stop people from making rude and jealous comments about your widgets? DH and I have worked hard for 20 years to be able to afford the fabulous widgets we have in our house but everytime I show them off I get comments like "Wow, glad I don't have to pay for the insurance on your widgets" and "How long does it take to clean a widget THAT large?".

It's obvious these people are just jealous that we have such great widgets. Just because I keep pushing my widgets in peoples faces they think they have the right to make a negative comment about them. If they wanted such great widgets they should have saved their money like we did.

I even overheard my MIL say that she wants my widgets. I can't sleep at night because I have no idea what to say to her about it. These are MY widgets and she can't have them but I don't know how to tell her that. What should I do? Please let me know.

Ima

o

Ima - you are a FOOL if you think anyone here is jealous of your widget. Get a life. Widgets are just an unneccesary luxury of remodeled kitchens. You got along just fine without it before - why do you need it now? I think most of us here (if I can speak for most of us) know that widgets are a total waste of $$$.

Good grief!

o

I think food tastes better when cooked with a widget, perhaps due to the widget's abilities to sear & simmer.

o

And, let's not forget, quinkle, Paulines.

I knew I should have bought two.

Where do I sign up for widget camp, maggie? Will they still take me if I peed myself laughing about widget camp?

o

I'm White and I was born in Venice.

Ooops! Wrong thread.

Oh, by the way, you posted this question yesterday and you DID get answers over there.

o

What a selfish waste of our natural resources to own a widget just so you can quinkle a little better. I have a most functional kitchen without one single widget which makes me far superior to all you widget owners.

o

Would you recommend honing?

I quinkled on the widget yesterday and it cracked. I hope the warranty is still good. It'll be a bummer to call all the way to India to find out it's expired already, and it's hardly ever been used.

o

Yeah, good luck with that one, happygram.
Since WidgetMasters oursourced their customer service to India, we've had nothing but trouble.

o

I can't stop laughing.

Will a 1,000 inch widget fit in a 2 inch base?

o

maggie -- you can buy a widget adapter to fit your 2 inch base. Be prepared to pay a premium if you want the special nickel finish.

ima -- you're right, people are so jealous! I have beautiful widgets at my weekday home, my weekend cabin and my vacation cottage. But, I would never put one in my rental property. Those people don't know how to take care of nice things.

o

Too bad Ariel aka The Little Mermaid didnt know about this forum. I heard she had gadgets and gizmos a plenty and hoozits and whatzits galore. She even had twenty thingamabobs,but wanted something more. Mabey if she would have had a widget or even went to widget camp she would have been a little happier.Im just glad I learned my lesson from her and never wasted my money on a gadget,gizmo,hoozit,whatzit,or thingamabob. I do love my widget and I wouldnt have known about it if it wasnt for this forum. Im also looking into widget camp to get the full experience of owning my widget. Thanks

o

Oy Meskauskas I'd buy your still in the box discount sunshine yellow widget but I told you already I need 4 and they all have to match perfectly or it will destroy our resale value and they discontinued sunshine yellow model #879365YWDG10846aQNK927SY and replaced it with #879365YWDG10846aQNK927RDY which is more of a rubber ducky yellow... what to do?

o

One time at widget camp....

o

My newly installed widgets are leaking and there's a funny smell!
DH keeps saying, "I told you so"

o

Happygram, I would definitely recommend honing the widget, especially if you want to minimize the etching! And like Sweeby mentioned, make sure you seal it every 6 months.

But Sweeby, if you seal the widget, will it stain if you spill red wine on it?

Too funny! Lowspark, thanks for starting this.

o

Hey, sorry about the post above - I didn't write it! Someone I won't name got on my computer. Sorry! I love widgets. In fact, we're looking at a couple of polynesian-style widgets for our beach house. What do you think?

WIDGET GOES HAWAIIAN

o

Should I tip the guy who delivers my widget?

o

The Garbage Disposal Widget

Did you read the newspaper article about my widget getting stuck in the garbage disposal? I was frantic until Officers Tom and Mike came to help. They couldn't get it out but eventually helped me get to the 24-hour Widget doctor at 3am. Luckily my widget was released unharmed. But it cost me $1100 in emergency widget bills, follow-up care, new sink, new plumbing, new electrical wiring, and new garbage disposal, one with a cover.
I don't know what the moral of this story, but a bit of advice: be careful when you select your widget!

o

NYCwestsider, don't you think you should always tip someone doing you a service?

FWIW: My father has raised a family of six delivering widgets. I don't think you could possibly comprehend what our lives have been like living on a low hourly wage. My father depended heavily on those extra/above and beyond tips. He often raced from delivery point to delivery point to make sure that the widgets we delivered in lightening speed with hopes that the owner would compliment his permornce in any way.
. So, I just don't understand why some people think those people in less fortunate positions shoud work for free; or even think that they make enough on an hourly wage to make a real living.

Someone "like you" started flak like this at our last home and the company quit letting the drivers make a tip. That lone bit$$ cost my two youngest siblings from getting braces. Do you have any idea what we feel when we all get together at a family get holiday and have to see how our youngest siblings smile/look with assinine over-bites? Do YOU? It's sickening. It makes my skin crawl thinking about tight wads like you.

I just wish "SOME" people thought before they even considered not tipping someone performing a service for them.

That's all I have to say. It's my two cents, so don't bother dissin' me. I'm not the thread police. I'm just someone that doesn't mind tipping.

PS...

<<<<>>>

o

Good Grief...the <> signs delted the phrase...: This is ALL a spoof. If you've ever been attacked by someone that made a minor courtesy comment like starpooh (who is supportive and wonderful) you will realize that this is a huge pet peeve of mine, too: people taking things out of context.

Have a great day....(this IS sincere).

o

Snookums: Thanks for answering my burning question, but I'm still confused... Now that I bit the bullet and got the widget... where am I going to put it? It seems a bit large for the appliance garage... but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and de-clutter my countertop.... And I'm not sure it will fit below my uppers...

Everyone, where do you keep the widget? Is it easily accessible? And how often do you really use it?

(I know I posted this before, but I lost the post, and it seems to have dropped off!)

o

Snookums, glad you raised the issue of where to keep your widgets. As you know, the aim of a kitchen remodel is to keep the kitchen from LOOKING like a place where food preparation is done. Therefore, you must NOT keep your widgets (particularly the ones you use every day) out on the countertops, in plain sight. What if your best friend dropped by for a cuppa coffee and saw your most intimate, embarrassing widget lying about? Are you shameless? What if a crew from a shelter mag unexpectedly arrived for a photo-shoot and filmed the widget-clutter on the countertop? The kitchen must be kept pristine and sterile at all times! You need to invest in special cabinetry and gimmickry to hide your widgets. Spare no expense!

Sue

o

Can you believe how much more we know about widgets than the "experts"? Yesterday, when I asked my high-end appliance salesman about which widgets were best for quinkling, he told me they weren't approved for that use, and tried to steer me towards a widget that everyone knows is inferior, with a horrible repair record. When I quoted him the specs on the widget I wanted (which I got from the wonderful people on this board), he started to look nervous and called his supervisor to deal with me.

Then, this morning, I was telling my GC about how I wanted to mount my widget in a special pull-out so I could have easy access to it without it taking up my valuable counter real-estate (because god forbid I should actually have anything on my counters that could lead people to think I actually cook), he looked at me like I was crazy and said it couldn't be done.

Thank goodness for the wonderful people on this forum who have educated me about widgets so I could stand up to him and tell him exactly how it should be done. I don't know how I ever went so many years without a widget in my kitchen. It's a wonder my family hasn't shrivelled up and died.

:-)

o

Is there any chance I could be allergic to my widget?

o
Oh and...

I have small children, can I still have a widget? Are widgets safe around toddlers?

o

Where do you put your widget?

I threw my widget in the garbage - no widgets for me. Widgets are evil.

o

Heck, I'm just a lurker still only dreaming of a wonderful kitchen someday and even I can't resist...

Does a widget fit into a FP drawer without being jammed? Will it tip over and end up full of water after the cycle ends?

Do widgets breed bacteria unless you use a special cleanser?

Will widgets crack right open if you put a hot pot or pan on them?

Is it worth the extra money to get high end widgets? Will a restaurant grade widget in my new kitchen boost resale value or are they just something people buy to show off?

(Answer to last question: get the high end widget if you are truly passionate about widgets. You will definitely regret it if you cheap out. Even though I had to have the floor reinforced and sell a kidney, I don't regret it for a second. Every time I come into the kitchen and see my gleaming professional quality widget it makes my heart sing.)

Help! My contractor just installed my widget and when I lie down on the floor, crane my neck 27 degrees, squint my left eye and use my flashlight I can definitely see that there is a cloudy area on my new widget! It's about one centimeter by a half inch and nobody but me can see it. But I know it's there and it is killing me every time I, well, lie down on the floor, crane my neck, etc...should I complain? Try to fix it myself? Get up off the floor????

o

For those of you with small kitchens:

There's a new widget available! The Midget Widget Gidget Gadget! Designed and endorsed by Sally Field! Get one today!

"You'll like it! You'll really really like it!"

o

Are children exploited with the manufacturing of widgets? I must know. Please point me to the nearest propaganda that proves whatever your argument is. I am so easily persuaded that if it appears child labor was involved in any way, I will personally get rid of my widget and get a new green widget ;-)

o

Help, please! Bill Vincent??

My DH husband and I have decided to DIY our widget, but don't know how to grout the silicone between the tiles that the GC we fired promised would be seamless.

Also, I run a small lemon juice bottling company on the side. Do you think our widget will etch?

o
RE: Don't read this I'm just whining about a pet peeve

I want a widget just like Julie Pinkerton's widget. Sigh.

o

Hey runninginplace:

You shouldn't tolerate that widget spot! Call your GC and have him rip it out and install a new widget, immediatly!
In fact he should probably rip out the entire new kitchen, while he's at it! Don't pay him until he's fixed it!

o

KitchensWeLove has a widget album now. Just an FYI.

o

Widget, widget, shining bright,
How do I know you are just the right height?
Try you here, try you there,
You do quinkle everywhere.

Free the Widgets!
Thank you very much.

Any use of trade names or products does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.

o

I just made the unhappy discovery that my brushed stainless steel new widgit is nothing more than a CHEAP KNOCK OFF!!! What to do??

o

omigosh omigosh...I am sitiing here at 11:00 at night with the tears streaming down my face...'hoo hoos ding dongs. widget camp'..I can hardly type for falling over , cracking up...people 'pants- peeing' . Well, at least I'm holding something back!!! Too too, funnnnny!!! Love it...you guys have wonderfully creative minds! Had no idea this was gonna be a funny thread. So glad I took a look!

o

This is supposed to be funny?

o

Ellen, this is not supposed to be funny; IT IS funny and hilarious!

grlwprls: Yes, you CAN be allergic to a clay widget. My sister just had to return over $400 worth of clay widgets. When they were exposed to water, they had not been sealed and mold, fungus, and mildew were starting to grow on them! She installed them in October '05, and has been mysteriously ill ever since. She recently noticed something 'black' on her hands when she handled the widget, knowing her hands had just been washed, she checked all of her widgets. Yep! There was mold growing on almost every one where they had not been glazed.

I'd definitely never by a clay widget.

o
ps...I forgot

I forgot to add that my sister has now cleaned everything in her kitchen with a bleach solution and her "environmental asthma" has disappeared! Warning: NO CLAY WIDGETS!

o

By failing to use a cultured yak spit enzymatic cleanser and a Solutions(tm) miracle cloth, the hired help have scratched my high end, glossy widget!

o

Oh no grlwprls! That's so irresponsible and ignorant. I sure hope she agrees to pay for a replacement widget! With what you're paying her, it should only take a few months before she's getting checks again.

Honestly, the things we have to put up with here!

o

Some of the wigets made in 3rd world countries may contain lead! Be carefull where you buy them.

o

I love you people. I truly do. Y'all have made my day.

melanie

o

I read these to DH, who knows little about my secret TKO life. He grew silent and his eyes widened, and he stopped chewing about a third of the thread down. When I reached hamptonmeadow's post, he inhaled, choked, and had to be pounded on the back.

He said no wonder I like to hang with you all, you're clever, irreverant and totally twisted. I agree!!!!!!

o

Let's put an end to the Widget Wars!

You can't deny the facts:
Widgets are plastic!
Whatsits have been in the ground for 400 million years!

Why would you get a widget when a whatsit's the same price?!!!!

o

How many batteries does YOUR widget need? Do you prefer alkaline or lithium?

o

The widget I swore I would never buy is simply stunning with my dog fur backsplash (with yak spit grout).

o

My widget is a hybrid - it's one of those new "greener" widgets. It's only approved for commercial use, I had to get a special variance to install it!

o

Oy, Librarymom, didn't you read the FAQ about installing commercial widgets in the home? Your homeowners' insurance policy may get cancelled and commercial widget service technicians won't repair widgets in a residence!

o

You can't possibly be doing a dog fur backsplash with Tibetan yak snot grout. My KD, Andre, holds the copyright and will be coming after you if you do not cease and desist immediately!

o

ellene--obviously, you don't tip your widget technicians enough.

o

I'm in California. Do I need to install an airgap with my widget? even if it's not commercial? I REALLY don't want another hole in my beautiful granite.

o

Our newspaper's real estate section has started noting KWQW (kitchen with quinkling widget), along with HWF, NWW, BIBC, etc.

Any house without a current widget is simply not able to present as a high end property in this neighborhood. Just sitting on the market with no good offers.

I was thinking if we had to suddenly sell, like due to divorce or some other unforseen event, we might not get top dollar. I think we should put another one in, but DH is upset about taking out a fourth mortgage. Should I get the new copper one with the photocell eye and the backup generator?

o

Um, like yuck. Widgets are on there way out in my neighborhood. Are you reselling the minute you are done?

o

Q: I'm looking for a French made widget, anyone know where I can find one? A: You might want to try the Blue Moon Widget, it has a better simmer burner.

Q: I'm looking for a vintage tile with a horizontal design in green. Anyone? A: Widget. A: Widget. A: Have you looked at Widget. A: I think I heard that Widget has something like this. A. Try widget-goteverything.com

o

You people are all so nasty and judgemental. What makes you think that you can just dump on widgets like this? The internet is anonymous, so I guess people are just plain nasty.

o

But you know it was so cool in Widget of Fire when Perry Hotter like swooped in and BANG there was the bludger but whoosh off he went and the quaffle...but anyway the snitch was like right there but not quite and then with a quinkle of his widget he snatched the snitch and scored big time for Gryffengate. AWESOME.

o
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a great deal on a sage green widget ($14.95 from homeclick!) and it just throws my entire color scheme off!! What color cabinets and counter top should I buy to go with my new sage green widget? Also, what color should the floors be? I was thinking that Ellen Kennon Camelhair would be a good wall color to offset the sage widget. Has anyone used this color? Is full spectrum paint really that much better? Should I use ORB fixtures or satin nickle? Is satin nickle out this week? Should I go with polished chrome? I also need to know what color cookware to buy to go with my new sage green widget. Also, I keep seeing people talking about NeverMT or something like that. What are those and do I need one? What colors do they come in? I saw on a cooking show some girl using a garbage bowl. Where do I get one of those? It looks like a regular old mixing bowl but I'm sure that williams-sonoma has an ultra deluxe bowl that is better suited to holding my vegetable peelings until I can dump them in the trash. Are hardwood floors ok for kitchens? I heard about this amish guy that handscrapes wood floors and that sounds like what I want. Will I hate my new sage green widget in a few years? Also, should I get a new job and have children?
You all are so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear all of y'alls responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ima

o

Lowspark - I love your widget. You have such lovely taste, You really do.

However - just a tiny thought here (I have done a lot of decorating for my friends): Your widget placement bothers me. Could you possibly move your stove to the opposite wall? I'm thinking that the refrigerator which is currently there would look better closer to the sink anyway. Of course you'd have to remove the upper cabinet, but as you've said in another thread, the cab in your guest bath does need changing out. Then you could position your darling table against the empty wall. I'm wondering if the table should be pink, though. Could you repaint it? A cream paint with crackle-glaze would look lovely. Do you see where I'm going here? You could also repaint that wall - in a rich red, for contrast. Just thinking out loud here. Place the table against the wall, put your sweet widget on it, and that widget is going to pop! Then you wouldn't need so many hoo hoos, although I'd keep all the ding dongs. I don't suppose you'd change out your kitchen hardware to match the ORB of the widget, would you? Simply trying to be helpful (I am a decorator, of sorts).

My rabbi agrees that if a widget is glass, it can definitely be kashered for Passover.

But - not trying to be irritating - if the widget has plastic, it's never going to be kosher and also, it was made by DuPont, and we all know about them.

o

Do you think a widget would be out of place in a modern kitchen? When I think of a widget, I think of old world/Tuscan. I've heard that European kitchens have widget hybrids: wydgids. But I have a moral problem with buying anything not made in the USA. What do you think? Oh, BTW here's a European wydgid.

o

But is it an undocumented wydgid?

o

Oh, real nice.

First people decide to be obnoxious to a poster over at Discussions, then I come here and find him & myself the brunt of sarcasim. Much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here