Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Don't read this, I'm just whining about a pet peeve

lowspark
18 years ago

Ok, sorry in advance if I offend someone or if you do this but this bugs me.

Someone posts a question, something like:

Those of you who own or have ever owned a widget, please tell me what you like and don't like about widgets, or what brand widget is best and why.

So someone else comes along and posts:

I've never owned a widget and never will. So sorry, I can't give you any opinion.

Ok, so... if you don't have anything to say, why did you post? Why not just skip that thread and move on to one where you actually have something of interest to add or ask?

Ok, sorry, enough griping, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Comments (150)

• sugarbreak
    18 years ago

One time at widget camp....

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

My newly installed widgets are leaking and there's a funny smell!
    DH keeps saying, "I told you so"

• spacific
    18 years ago

Happygram, I would definitely recommend honing the widget, especially if you want to minimize the etching! And like Sweeby mentioned, make sure you seal it every 6 months.

But Sweeby, if you seal the widget, will it stain if you spill red wine on it?

Too funny! Lowspark, thanks for starting this.

• seekingadvice
    18 years ago

Hey, sorry about the post above - I didn't write it! Someone I won't name got on my computer. Sorry! I love widgets. In fact, we're looking at a couple of polynesian-style widgets for our beach house. What do you think?

WIDGET GOES HAWAIIAN

{{gwi:1545073}}

• nycwestsider
    18 years ago

Should I tip the guy who delivers my widget?

• starpooh
    18 years ago

The Garbage Disposal Widget

Did you read the newspaper article about my widget getting stuck in the garbage disposal? I was frantic until Officers Tom and Mike came to help. They couldn't get it out but eventually helped me get to the 24-hour Widget doctor at 3am. Luckily my widget was released unharmed. But it cost me $1100 in emergency widget bills, follow-up care, new sink, new plumbing, new electrical wiring, and new garbage disposal, one with a cover.
    I don't know what the moral of this story, but a bit of advice: be careful when you select your widget!

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

NYCwestsider, don't you think you should always tip someone doing you a service?

FWIW: My father has raised a family of six delivering widgets. I don't think you could possibly comprehend what our lives have been like living on a low hourly wage. My father depended heavily on those extra/above and beyond tips. He often raced from delivery point to delivery point to make sure that the widgets we delivered in lightening speed with hopes that the owner would compliment his permornce in any way.
    . So, I just don't understand why some people think those people in less fortunate positions shoud work for free; or even think that they make enough on an hourly wage to make a real living.

Someone "like you" started flak like this at our last home and the company quit letting the drivers make a tip. That lone bit$$ cost my two youngest siblings from getting braces. Do you have any idea what we feel when we all get together at a family get holiday and have to see how our youngest siblings smile/look with assinine over-bites? Do YOU? It's sickening. It makes my skin crawl thinking about tight wads like you.

I just wish "SOME" people thought before they even considered not tipping someone performing a service for them.

That's all I have to say. It's my two cents, so don't bother dissin' me. I'm not the thread police. I'm just someone that doesn't mind tipping.

PS...

>>>

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

Good Grief...the signs delted the phrase...: This is ALL a spoof. If you've ever been attacked by someone that made a minor courtesy comment like starpooh (who is supportive and wonderful) you will realize that this is a huge pet peeve of mine, too: people taking things out of context.

Have a great day....(this IS sincere).

• Bizzo
    18 years ago

Snookums: Thanks for answering my burning question, but I'm still confused... Now that I bit the bullet and got the widget... where am I going to put it? It seems a bit large for the appliance garage... but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and de-clutter my countertop.... And I'm not sure it will fit below my uppers...

Everyone, where do you keep the widget? Is it easily accessible? And how often do you really use it?

(I know I posted this before, but I lost the post, and it seems to have dropped off!)

• mtnester
    18 years ago

Snookums, glad you raised the issue of where to keep your widgets. As you know, the aim of a kitchen remodel is to keep the kitchen from LOOKING like a place where food preparation is done. Therefore, you must NOT keep your widgets (particularly the ones you use every day) out on the countertops, in plain sight. What if your best friend dropped by for a cuppa coffee and saw your most intimate, embarrassing widget lying about? Are you shameless? What if a crew from a shelter mag unexpectedly arrived for a photo-shoot and filmed the widget-clutter on the countertop? The kitchen must be kept pristine and sterile at all times! You need to invest in special cabinetry and gimmickry to hide your widgets. Spare no expense!

Sue

• kitchenmom
    18 years ago

Can you believe how much more we know about widgets than the "experts"? Yesterday, when I asked my high-end appliance salesman about which widgets were best for quinkling, he told me they weren't approved for that use, and tried to steer me towards a widget that everyone knows is inferior, with a horrible repair record. When I quoted him the specs on the widget I wanted (which I got from the wonderful people on this board), he started to look nervous and called his supervisor to deal with me.

Then, this morning, I was telling my GC about how I wanted to mount my widget in a special pull-out so I could have easy access to it without it taking up my valuable counter real-estate (because god forbid I should actually have anything on my counters that could lead people to think I actually cook), he looked at me like I was crazy and said it couldn't be done.

Thank goodness for the wonderful people on this forum who have educated me about widgets so I could stand up to him and tell him exactly how it should be done. I don't know how I ever went so many years without a widget in my kitchen. It's a wonder my family hasn't shrivelled up and died.

:-)

• grlwprls
    18 years ago

Is there any chance I could be allergic to my widget?

• grlwprls
    18 years ago

I have small children, can I still have a widget? Are widgets safe around toddlers?

• 3katz4me
    18 years ago

Where do you put your widget?

I threw my widget in the garbage - no widgets for me. Widgets are evil.

• runninginplace
    18 years ago

Heck, I'm just a lurker still only dreaming of a wonderful kitchen someday and even I can't resist...

Does a widget fit into a FP drawer without being jammed? Will it tip over and end up full of water after the cycle ends?

Do widgets breed bacteria unless you use a special cleanser?

Will widgets crack right open if you put a hot pot or pan on them?

Is it worth the extra money to get high end widgets? Will a restaurant grade widget in my new kitchen boost resale value or are they just something people buy to show off?

(Answer to last question: get the high end widget if you are truly passionate about widgets. You will definitely regret it if you cheap out. Even though I had to have the floor reinforced and sell a kidney, I don't regret it for a second. Every time I come into the kitchen and see my gleaming professional quality widget it makes my heart sing.)

Help! My contractor just installed my widget and when I lie down on the floor, crane my neck 27 degrees, squint my left eye and use my flashlight I can definitely see that there is a cloudy area on my new widget! It's about one centimeter by a half inch and nobody but me can see it. But I know it's there and it is killing me every time I, well, lie down on the floor, crane my neck, etc...should I complain? Try to fix it myself? Get up off the floor????

• uxorial
    18 years ago

For those of you with small kitchens:

There's a new widget available! The Midget Widget Gidget Gadget! Designed and endorsed by Sally Field! Get one today!

"You'll like it! You'll really really like it!"

• proudmamato4
    18 years ago

Are children exploited with the manufacturing of widgets? I must know. Please point me to the nearest propaganda that proves whatever your argument is. I am so easily persuaded that if it appears child labor was involved in any way, I will personally get rid of my widget and get a new green widget ;-)

• assyla
    18 years ago

Help, please! Bill Vincent??

My DH husband and I have decided to DIY our widget, but don't know how to grout the silicone between the tiles that the GC we fired promised would be seamless.

Also, I run a small lemon juice bottling company on the side. Do you think our widget will etch?

• assyla
    18 years ago

I want a widget just like Julie Pinkerton's widget. Sigh.

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

Hey runninginplace:

You shouldn't tolerate that widget spot! Call your GC and have him rip it out and install a new widget, immediatly!
    In fact he should probably rip out the entire new kitchen, while he's at it! Don't pay him until he's fixed it!

• snookums
    18 years ago

KitchensWeLove has a widget album now. Just an FYI.

• bmorepanic
    18 years ago

Widget, widget, shining bright,
    How do I know you are just the right height?
    Try you here, try you there,
    You do quinkle everywhere.

Free the Widgets!
    Thank you very much.

Any use of trade names or products does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.

• happygram
    18 years ago

I just made the unhappy discovery that my brushed stainless steel new widgit is nothing more than a CHEAP KNOCK OFF!!! What to do??

• leahcate
    18 years ago

omigosh omigosh...I am sitiing here at 11:00 at night with the tears streaming down my face...'hoo hoos ding dongs. widget camp'..I can hardly type for falling over , cracking up...people 'pants- peeing' . Well, at least I'm holding something back!!! Too too, funnnnny!!! Love it...you guys have wonderfully creative minds! Had no idea this was gonna be a funny thread. So glad I took a look!

• ellene613
    18 years ago

This is supposed to be funny?

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

Ellen, this is not supposed to be funny; IT IS funny and hilarious!

grlwprls: Yes, you CAN be allergic to a clay widget. My sister just had to return over $400 worth of clay widgets. When they were exposed to water, they had not been sealed and mold, fungus, and mildew were starting to grow on them! She installed them in October '05, and has been mysteriously ill ever since. She recently noticed something 'black' on her hands when she handled the widget, knowing her hands had just been washed, she checked all of her widgets. Yep! There was mold growing on almost every one where they had not been glazed.

I'd definitely never by a clay widget.

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

I forgot to add that my sister has now cleaned everything in her kitchen with a bleach solution and her "environmental asthma" has disappeared! Warning: NO CLAY WIDGETS!

• grlwprls
    18 years ago

By failing to use a cultured yak spit enzymatic cleanser and a Solutions(tm) miracle cloth, the hired help have scratched my high end, glossy widget!

• sweeby
    18 years ago

Oh no grlwprls! That's so irresponsible and ignorant. I sure hope she agrees to pay for a replacement widget! With what you're paying her, it should only take a few months before she's getting checks again.

Honestly, the things we have to put up with here!

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

Some of the wigets made in 3rd world countries may contain lead! Be carefull where you buy them.

• mjsee
    18 years ago

I love you people. I truly do. Y'all have made my day.

melanie

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

I read these to DH, who knows little about my secret TKO life. He grew silent and his eyes widened, and he stopped chewing about a third of the thread down. When I reached hamptonmeadow's post, he inhaled, choked, and had to be pounded on the back.

He said no wonder I like to hang with you all, you're clever, irreverant and totally twisted. I agree!!!!!!

• minikit
    18 years ago

Let's put an end to the Widget Wars!

You can't deny the facts:
    Widgets are plastic!
    Whatsits have been in the ground for 400 million years!

Why would you get a widget when a whatsit's the same price?!!!!

• mjsee
    18 years ago

How many batteries does YOUR widget need? Do you prefer alkaline or lithium?

• hamptonmeadow
    18 years ago

The widget I swore I would never buy is simply stunning with my dog fur backsplash (with yak spit grout).

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

My widget is a hybrid - it's one of those new "greener" widgets. It's only approved for commercial use, I had to get a special variance to install it!

• ellene613
    18 years ago

Oy, Librarymom, didn't you read the FAQ about installing commercial widgets in the home? Your homeowners' insurance policy may get cancelled and commercial widget service technicians won't repair widgets in a residence!

• jerzeegirl
    18 years ago

You can't possibly be doing a dog fur backsplash with Tibetan yak snot grout. My KD, Andre, holds the copyright and will be coming after you if you do not cease and desist immediately!

• namabafo
    18 years ago

ellene--obviously, you don't tip your widget technicians enough.

• gail0202
    18 years ago

I'm in California. Do I need to install an airgap with my widget? even if it's not commercial? I REALLY don't want another hole in my beautiful granite.

• celticmoon
    18 years ago

Our newspaper's real estate section has started noting KWQW (kitchen with quinkling widget), along with HWF, NWW, BIBC, etc.

Any house without a current widget is simply not able to present as a high end property in this neighborhood. Just sitting on the market with no good offers.

I was thinking if we had to suddenly sell, like due to divorce or some other unforseen event, we might not get top dollar. I think we should put another one in, but DH is upset about taking out a fourth mortgage. Should I get the new copper one with the photocell eye and the backup generator?

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Um, like yuck. Widgets are on there way out in my neighborhood. Are you reselling the minute you are done?

• msafirstein
    18 years ago

Q: I'm looking for a French made widget, anyone know where I can find one? A: You might want to try the Blue Moon Widget, it has a better simmer burner.

Q: I'm looking for a vintage tile with a horizontal design in green. Anyone? A: Widget. A: Widget. A: Have you looked at Widget. A: I think I heard that Widget has something like this. A. Try widget-goteverything.com

• fairegold
    18 years ago

You people are all so nasty and judgemental. What makes you think that you can just dump on widgets like this? The internet is anonymous, so I guess people are just plain nasty.

• seekingadvice
    18 years ago

But you know it was so cool in Widget of Fire when Perry Hotter like swooped in and BANG there was the bludger but whoosh off he went and the quaffle...but anyway the snitch was like right there but not quite and then with a quinkle of his widget he snatched the snitch and scored big time for Gryffengate. AWESOME.

• ImaPseudonym
    18 years ago

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a great deal on a sage green widget ($14.95 from homeclick!) and it just throws my entire color scheme off!! What color cabinets and counter top should I buy to go with my new sage green widget? Also, what color should the floors be? I was thinking that Ellen Kennon Camelhair would be a good wall color to offset the sage widget. Has anyone used this color? Is full spectrum paint really that much better? Should I use ORB fixtures or satin nickle? Is satin nickle out this week? Should I go with polished chrome? I also need to know what color cookware to buy to go with my new sage green widget. Also, I keep seeing people talking about NeverMT or something like that. What are those and do I need one? What colors do they come in? I saw on a cooking show some girl using a garbage bowl. Where do I get one of those? It looks like a regular old mixing bowl but I'm sure that williams-sonoma has an ultra deluxe bowl that is better suited to holding my vegetable peelings until I can dump them in the trash. Are hardwood floors ok for kitchens? I heard about this amish guy that handscrapes wood floors and that sounds like what I want. Will I hate my new sage green widget in a few years? Also, should I get a new job and have children?
    You all are so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear all of y'alls responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ima

• sable_ca
    18 years ago

Lowspark - I love your widget. You have such lovely taste, You really do.

However - just a tiny thought here (I have done a lot of decorating for my friends): Your widget placement bothers me. Could you possibly move your stove to the opposite wall? I'm thinking that the refrigerator which is currently there would look better closer to the sink anyway. Of course you'd have to remove the upper cabinet, but as you've said in another thread, the cab in your guest bath does need changing out. Then you could position your darling table against the empty wall. I'm wondering if the table should be pink, though. Could you repaint it? A cream paint with crackle-glaze would look lovely. Do you see where I'm going here? You could also repaint that wall - in a rich red, for contrast. Just thinking out loud here. Place the table against the wall, put your sweet widget on it, and that widget is going to pop! Then you wouldn't need so many hoo hoos, although I'd keep all the ding dongs. I don't suppose you'd change out your kitchen hardware to match the ORB of the widget, would you? Simply trying to be helpful (I am a decorator, of sorts).

My rabbi agrees that if a widget is glass, it can definitely be kashered for Passover.

But - not trying to be irritating - if the widget has plastic, it's never going to be kosher and also, it was made by DuPont, and we all know about them.

• all_but_thesis
    18 years ago

Do you think a widget would be out of place in a modern kitchen? When I think of a widget, I think of old world/Tuscan. I've heard that European kitchens have widget hybrids: wydgids. But I have a moral problem with buying anything not made in the USA. What do you think? Oh, BTW here's a European wydgid.

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

But is it an undocumented wydgid?

• paulines
    18 years ago

Oh, real nice.

First people decide to be obnoxious to a poster over at Discussions, then I come here and find him & myself the brunt of sarcasim. Much appreciated.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert