Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you live in Savannah?

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 9:43

My son is heading to Savannah this fall for college. I'm getting more and more nervous due to all the crime statistics I'm reading. He is my third child to go away to school (other 2 went to Penn State like me--I'm very comfortable with that scenario) so it's just not being nervous about a child starting college.

I'm truly worried now about the muggings, robberies, etc.

So if anybody has lived, or does live in Savannah, can you give me your feedback? He will be attending SCAD.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you live in Savannah?

Hey beekeeperswife. I was born in Savannah and my family still lives there. I am not far away in Atlanta. We were just there over the weekend.

Where will he be going to school? My husband and I both went to college there.

I don't know much about the current crime statistics there but I have not heard about anything really terrible. I will do a little more research though. My MIL will have the scoop for me. I will post later after I talk with her. I think downtown can be rough but like I said I haven't heard anything significant lately.

Please let me know if I can do anything else for you or provide you with any information. Feel free to email me privately.

Christine

o

odiegirl13: Thanks for the information, he will be attending Savannah College of Art & Design. I will send you an email.

o

SCAD is in a very hip, fairly newly revitalized neighborhood. It is my favorite part of Savannah. He needs to not act stupid, which can be hard for freshmen, but he should be fine. I survived 4 years in New Haven, CT (probably similar crime wise) and learned quickly to be street smart and never had a single incident.

o
RE: Savannah?

Sorry I missed your earlier reference to SCAD.

I think SCAD will be an amazing school for him. SCAD is responsible for much of the revitalization of Savannah. They bought old school buildings and turned them into classrooms, old hotels became dorms and an old department store became a library. I think Savannah looks better than I have ever seen in it. Everywhere you look the restoration has spread further out of the historic district.

I think histokitch is right about learning how to make good choices. I think he will be fine.

Best of luck to him in this exciting phase of his life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here