Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_i_am32

Thai Dinner Party Ideas?

Sam_I_Am
18 years ago

We're in a dinner club with three other couples. We're hosting the next event. The theme will be Thai. Does anyone have any good (tried and true) recipes? Decorating ideas? Music? Thanks!!

Comments (3)

• sigh
    18 years ago

Spring rolls! I have an awesome spring roll recipe. Also a great one for green papaya salad. Basically you can't go wrong with anything from the Lemon Grass cookbook. I could...oh crap, I've already packed up my cookbooks but if I can FIND my Lemon Grass cookbook I can send you the spring roll recipe. It's great for parties, everyone garnishes the rolls to their taste & rolls them up in a lettuce leaf, then dips.

Decorating- fruit and vegetable carving is very popular, carving them into flowers. I've seen some exquisite examples of that. The woman that watched my son as an infant is Thai and she would bring some in for the children to see.

Lucky, lucky you! I looooove southeast asian cuisine & we have no place around to get it. I cook it frequently, especially in the summer. OMG, hot & sour shrimp soup is another great dish for a crowd! Can I come to the party? Oh wait, I have no stove :-).

Good luck & have fun!

Nina

• lowspark
    18 years ago

I don't have any recipes, but you should post this on the cooking forum -- you'll get a lot of good responses there!

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    18 years ago

DD lived in Thailand for more than a year. I asked her for suggestions, and here is a recipe she sent me.

This is a recipe for one of our favorite Thai dishes, Tom Kha Gai (chicken and coconut milk soup). Here is the basic recipe:

"Tom Kha Gai
    Combine 3 cups chicken stock, 3/4 C coconut cream, 2 kaffir lime leaves, 1 piece coriander root, 2 T sliced young galangal, 1 T sliced lemon grass and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Add 200 grams chopped chicken thigh, let boil and cook for a few minutes. Season soup with salt, fresh lemon juice, and smashed chilli peppers. Serve hot in a bowl garnished with cilantro and fried dry chilies (optional). I would definitely add some chopped onions and mushrooms, maybe just before the chicken, and also some tomato wedges. When we made it here it came out really well. I guess they will know something about Thai ingredients? Galangal is a root, I don't know how difficult it would be to find there. And the lemon grass should be cut at an angle into pieces an inch or two-long. Also, on the can it may say coconut milk or coconut cream, but it's the same thing."

Here is some Thai trivia: When she was searching for an apartment, none of the apartments had kitchens! Most people don't cook at home because really delicious and inexpensive food is readily available on the street, in kiosks or little stores. She had to search to find a small portable oven because she loves to cook and wanted to make something.

Another piece of trivia: Most Thai do not know Bangkok by that name but rather by the name Krung Thep. Krung Thep is actually an abreviated form of its full ceremonial name which is "Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit."

It might be difficult to fit that on an address label!

Good luck with your dinner party! One impression I have from photos she sent is that there are flowers EVERYWHERE!
    Especially hibiscus and orchids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bangkok/Krung Thep info