Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20 gauge stainless sinks

Posted by hilton (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 23:57

I am interested in a Kindred 20 gauge stainless sink. Is there any problem with getting a 20 gauge verses 18? The cost is about 60% less. I live in Canada where ordering online is usually difficult. I don't need the sink to last 30 years but I do want it to last at least 15 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20 gauge stainless sinks

Hilton, you will get more information if you post this question on the "Discussions" side of the Kitchen Forum.

Good luck!

o

20 gauge is considered "builder's grade". I wouldn't do less than 18.

o

While 18 gauge is considered 'better' because it is thicker, 20 gauge is fine in my opinion. When I remodeled my last kitchen, I got a 20 gauge Kindred, and it was excellent. That Kindred replaced a 33 year old builder's grade sink, which was in fabulous condition, I only replaced it because I wanted a deeper and more modern looking sink. I would not hesitate to get a 20 gauge from a good manufacturer.

o

You don't say the size you are looking for or your price range. However, I believe you can get a 16 gauge single bowl 30 inch krauss for around $250.00. People on GW recommend both krauss and ticor. The lower the gauge, the thicker the stainless steel. You also want to know the nickel/chrominium ration and whether the sink has been sound proofed. Overstock.com has good prices on sinks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here