Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part X111!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 22:59

Hi Guys,

Looks like we just turned the Chapter, so to speak.

Hasta La Vista!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part X11 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part X111!

Marthavila-You didn't like the Double Barrel Brothers but did you like the "Chain"?

Does anyone like the "Chain"?

Just curious.

o
Enlargement

Plllog- Can we have an enlarged Double Barrel like your 14:56 post but with only the Guads?

o

The chain is fine. Backsplash by Shimano. Very athletic. (Summer Olympics)

I'm thinking Solman likes the chain.

MV, I'm so glad you like it!!!

Don't go lurking on us! We need all the inputs available from all the UCMKF!!!

The two yellows don't look too bad in the picture. How are they in person? If they're really close maybe you can salt. So...if the Guads are new, does that mean you can get more just like them? Did you like the rendering I did with the different ones mixed in? Would you be willing to order enough Guads to do your pattern and use the 19 current ones for making trivets or something? Maybe a sink cover?

Any news from the sink broker? Unfortunately, that sink isn't likely to be a stock item, especially in the blue.

o
Yellow Match

"I'm thinking Solman likes the chain."

Umm. No just putting all the eggs in the basket! I like all of them for different reasons. Stef's DH has a point. Marthavila has a point. The chain looked good in that Upscale Spanish Kitchen. Would everyone agree that the Hopping Froggy is not as nice as any of these 3?

Yes any new Guads would be exactly the same as the 19 in stock. Those were baked just in the last year. They still smell good :)

The Yellows are slightly different. BUT... I asked my little Lupi for the 10 year old Yellow and she painstakingly dug some out of old inventory they had in a old Warehouse in Guadalajara. So, the real NEW Yellows of today would really be different from all that I have in stock.

Of course, I could ask if any more oldies remain in the Whse.

o
Your Chain Mock

Plllog- Can you please give us your style mock of the chain in that larger size.

o

Whoops forgot the sink.

The latest. The Kohler Cobalt is quite different Blue from the edge tile that I have. Everywhere that I took it in person, Kohler Design centre etc. all said no way Jose. Ms. Wonderful also shyed away from it after seeing the close up photos.

Both Home Depot and Lowe's made a point of no returns on Special Order so the venture seems risky. As much as I dread not going Blue, I'm thinking your original instinct of Matching sink to Oven and AEG Transparent White Induction and White fridge may be the route to go. It was the same suggestion that Ms. Wonderful voted for. Interestingly, she also opted for the White oven/Appliance match and REALLY was against the garish Black appliances and Sink that was going to be originally.

I feel like we're in a rescue mission. We've saved this Colorful Mexican Kitchen from the "creepy corner", Black appliances and sink, really ugly faucet, and whatever next!

Patience has it's rewards indeed.

Cheers to the UCMKF!

o
Vancouver 2010

Gulp!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hockey

o
Calling Missy

Missy- Hope you've had a good weekend at the Wedding! Because we haven't had one in Vancouver. What's happening? We didn't even get a medal in the speed skating 1000m yesterday and we had 2 guys in the final.

Do I hear the word Overhaul after these games? We "expect" the Hockey Gold which I'm not so sure now.

Oh well. At least I'm happy for our good neighbors that are flying in the medal standings. And the fact that that's where Amy's from :)

o
Interview with America's Lindsey Vonn

I heard Lindsey Vonn interviewed on NPR and she did say the design of the downhill course was dangerous ie. flawed. So, won't fare well on Canada and these Olympics. That combined with the Luge disaster puts quite a spell on things. In all fairness to Canada, the Luge track was designed by a German designer! But no one will remember such a detail. It will be remembered as a Canadian flaw.

o

Yes, of course, Solman, but after the skating for your chain.

What about hockey? Your link is broken. Oh, never mind. They just showed the end of the game. Been running around all day. We sort of saw part of the Russia/Czech game while working. Sorry. Doesn't mean Canada won't win the tournament. But they all play together, right? I mean, all the Kings stars I can think of to name, including the incomparable Butchie, have been Canadian. But they have a tournament because any game can go to anyone. Re the speedskating, the Canadians look like nice guys but they had no hope considering what they were up against if it was a clean race with no falls.

Yes, Amy's a California girl (Bay). But remember what I said about population. Canada's still doing exceedingly well as percentage of population. And, unlike some other countries, didn't load up on tenuously related foreigners to fill out the rolls.

I'm so sorry about the glitches. At least everyone is having a good time.

So tonight one of the skiers was quoted about the slalom in the super combined being built for speed not technicality. But then that's the Super Combi. Shorter and faster and get it over with. Can't please everyone. Can you imagine if they'd had easy courses that played to the middle, instead of challenging courses that require all the skills to be used?

o
Amy's After Valentine's Day Song

Just because Valentine's Day is over, it doesn't mean you'll be forgotten.

Here is a link that might be useful: For Amy

o

Well, you can be really proud of Virtue and Moir!!

Really fabulous!

o

PhotobucketPhotobucket

o

That looks like a good option, too. Works well, very straightforward. Not as strong as double barrel, but less fussy than mantilla.

I don't think most people will think Canada is responsible for the problems you mentioned. Like all Olympics, there are some great moments as well. It seems these Olympics may be remembered for the beautiful women athletes and that's not a bad thing.

o

Thanks Artista!

Surprisingly, it's so simple yet it looks good. Stef, does that mean you like it the best? I got another Male opinion today from Europe. My friend chose Lace and The Chain equal. Double Barrel was last. Carpenter chose Double Barrel. But remember and I quote the Artista:

"Carpenter, we're not listening to you. Now go hammer away".

LOL!

o
Silence of The Lambs

Stef- notice that the Pacific Coast is a little quiet today. She's running around somewhere up to something.

Maybe it's time to wire her up for one of those reality shows. We'll call it:

A Day In The Life of a Sun Goddess.

Come to think of it, there's always a strong correlation between silence (with her hiding beneath the sheets for cover) and her favorite four letter word-RAIN!

Are you ok now in the Lone Star State?

We just got blasted with a snowstorm today and it demotivated me to leave the premises.

o

Little you know! The rain blew through and it's lovely and sunny and not cold out!! Just lots of busy.

Going out tonight and thinking of wearing sandals. :)

Happy toes!!!

P.S. Your poll just shows that Carpenter is just a guy's guy. Muy Macho. A manly man.

o

We're expecting snow in the area tomorrow. This is an amazing winter.

I like the chain, but more as a compromise. Like lace better.

Have fun, plllog!

o

I like the chain better than double barrel. Straightforward, no gimmick, that one. It's not that I "hate" double barrel. Just not feeling it. Please explain to me (or show me) which is mantilla. I may be confusing it with hopping froggy. :-)

o

Thanks, Steff. It was a celbration of garlic. :) I chickened out though and wore fleece lined.

MV, lace mantilla is the checkerboard. Hopping froggy is the dashed line.

I still think the chain looks like a Shimano bicycling shirt, but it's as MV says: straightforward. Not unattractive. Simple. Lace mantilla and double barrel, especailly the variegated double barrel, are more traditional. Chain has a bit of a modern look.

o
We Did It!

Teresa Virtue and Scott Moir

Unveiling+Vancouver+2010+Olympic+Paralympic+Z-TrSJJmQuTl

o

Flippin' tape delay. It's not on here yet. :(

o
Sorry For Spoiling Your Party

sorry Pictures, Images and Photos

o
Ribbit. Ribbit.

Awww are we all missing the Hopping Froggie?

frog Pictures, Images and Photos

DSCF9155

Speaking of Her, she looked good in the Mexican Kitchens below. Simple but still effective.

Unknown

Plllog you lost me on the putting Cobalt Blues under the Mural.

o

If you needed/wanted to lift the mural, an alternative to the yellow which will have a definite presence, would be to use cobalt, which will blend into the border of the basket.

o

Got ya! The key word here is "if".

But we seem to have moved towards not lifting.

o

OMG!!!!! I didn't need Solman's premature celebration to tell me. They "just" skated in their own time zone. How much praise can I heap? That had a simple purity and excellence that doesn't need to be gussied up with theatrics. Ice dance is supposed to be ballroom based, and theirs was. They didn't need to flail around. Their lines are exquisite!! Their curves are right on. The unison is unparalleled. And they're able to create artistry and emotion without a lot of histrionic dramatics.

o

Beautiful, congratulations Canada.

No need to feel bummed Solman. In curling you're 8-0 and into the medal round.

o

Solman, we did agree on not lifting, but you might need to trim out the basket because of relative size. Is it the perfect size for the span between counter and hood? If not, you should probably center it vertically and trim it out with something unflashy. Maybe yellow with chain or DB. Maybe cobalt with lace or DB.

o

I think my concern about the mural not being "lifted" is that somehow the bottom/border tiles (and, possibly, the bottom of the basket itself) might get lost by the cook top burners (or are you going induction?), pots, pans, etc. I also thought that if it were more centered between the bottom of the hood and the top of the range, it would not be in visual tussle with empty or cluttered spaces at each vertical end. But, again, given that I've been following the entire process so loosely, I also get that I may be missing something here that you all have already considered or worked out.

o

Yes, Marthavila just expressed it well about centering!

You're not missing anything!

Though I just realized that I was too sleepy when we were talking about ovens. I knew the difference between convection and true convection, but forgot that I knew it: Convection moves the air around. True convection has a heater so that the fan moves the air around without cooling it. This doesn't affect your choice, Solman. You'll be fine no matter what it is. You don't strike me as a fussy cook.

o

HiHi, sorry, I haven't posted yet. I am back, just not feeling great and trying to get these quilts finished up. The wedding was beautiful, but I think the recirc. hotel air messed up my lungs. I have a wicked sore throat and cough now. :o(
On a more positive note - my friend had her babies. Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Everyone is healthy and happy (tho likely missing sleep by now), sooooo I'm trying to these quilts finished up by the weekend.

I haven't gone back and read all the posts yet, but I will. :o)

Marthavila, thank you for the info on your reno (wow). I will wait patiently until you want to share with everyone, tho your offer to show me via email is very sweet! Image and video hosting by TinyPic It's very nice to see you posting more again. :o)

solman, my vote is still for 'lace mantilla'. :) If you do a different one, it will still look beautiful, but that's the one I have to vote for.

plllog, thank you for the tile update - it looks gorgeous!! Congrats to you - it has to feel SO good to be seeing that kind of progress!

Steff, you're so encouraging as far as the Olympics go - I love it!

I will post more soon - I took some mtn pics to share, but I haven't cropped them yet (or gone thru them for that matter).

o

Hi Missy, glad you had a good time and sorry you're not feeling well. The twin smilies are adorable, I'm sure those babies are keeping the family busy.

No problem cheering for Canada. I enjoy watching the best compete and win. In hockey, I hope you'll excuse me if I cheer for our NHL all stars over yours. This is the 20th anniversary of the "Miracle on Ice" at Lake Placid. Even though we play pros now it would be nice to bring home gold this year.

Solman - The Mexican kitchen in the picture has so much more going on than yours. The dashed line of the hopping froggy is just one element sandwiched in with the cobalt. By itself it doesn't make a big statement.

o

Hi Missy!! Thanks for the kind words. Can't wait to see your pics. Darling baby smilies! They deserve your quilts! (So do the real twins...)

I'm not making any sense.

Hi!!

o

Man arrives after hard day in the Coal Mines; working to pay for extravagant German Appliances.

Ha! Just kidding, no silly coal mines here. Just good clean plentiful Hydro from Niagara Falls, just 20 minutes from the Casa del SOL. But not kidding about the work.

Wait! no time for UCMKF fun yet, time for the Kryia.

Will tune in later. Same channel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canary In A Canal Mine

o
Welcome Back Missy!

But...

Sorry to hear you're under the weather :(

Get Well Soon Pictures, Images and Photos

We'll help you get better fast ;) GO MISSY.

Was going to update today but got so relaxed in my Kriya meditation that I fell asleep on the floor LOL!

Relaxing? I'll say.

Tomorrow morning... along with our Morning Lark.

o

Solman, where were you? We had sweet corn tamales for lunch.

o

Missy, are you feeling any better now?

o

Yum, sweet corn tamales. Plllog, did they have garlic ice cream at the event the other night? Always wondered about that but never tried it.

Went shopping today and bought one of those comfort mats for the kitchen. Loving it already, the tile can be hard on my feet.

o

LOL! No, Steff, it was just an Italian dinner, but these folks are known for their garlic. Instead of herbed oil for the bread, they serve a bowl of chopped garlic in oil. There's garlic in the eggplant Parmesan, and the ravioli alla checcha had about a whole tomato and a small head of garlic swimming in the (broth style) sauce. The food is excellent--and good for what ails ya.

o

Yipee!!!!!

o

Okay, I need to go over to Olympic results and see what's up.

o
re: Score 8-2

Just guessing here, but you and Amy are celebrating that big win over Germany?

Plllog that dinner sounds wonderful, I just had a different picture of it. Gilroy Garlic kinda thing.

o

Plllog-I hope you at least saved me some of those sweet corn Tamales.

Stef-Congrats on the Comfortmat! Say, it gave me an idea. If you don't like the "plastic" looks, you could get a nice Oaxacan wool rug to cover it and add zest to the Kitchen to boot.

Also nice to see that you're one of our secret Olympic fans. Mind you serious tension tonight in O' Canada. Get this. On the USA-Canada game night, 10.5 million households were tuned into the game. That's roughly one in two Canadians that were watching. I guess we do take it seriously. But tonight "could" be it :(

Yes you were right about the Yellow Kitchen above. They have a lot more than Hopping Froggie in there. Hard to compare.

Marthavila-Thank you for not giving up on the lifting the Mural issue. The centering thing seems dead on. Are we now talking a full yellow row on the bottom and one on top before the Hood? Regarding the cooktop, yes I'm still committed to Induction.

Latest on the Venting-the contractor said a new box/soffit in front of the existing one which eliminates tampering with the existing one. Also, he said there is no guarantee what level of brick damage outside will be done from the drilling/pounding type machine they use to make the hole.

The YIPEE was that I think a single bowl cast iron with deck is soon reality. By accident I found the company in California that made some of the cast iron sinks for Kohler. The Kohler model that I needed, and that Kohler discontinued, is one that they still have. Only in White :( Now both they and Kohler just import all the cast sinks from China.

YIPEE #2 (is that allowed under UCMKF rules?) Mexico has started production of the Yellow quarter round tiles for the sink and yes they will be a different Yellow than my 10+ year old Dinosaur Yellow. And now... awaiting backsplash winner. SIGH;;;

On the Splash, very valid points thus far:

Marthavila

Double Barrel Brothers- Too rigid
Lace Mantilla-1st choice
Chain- OK if need be

Stef

Dble. Barrel so, so. DH 1st choice.
Lace Mantilla 1st choice.
Chain-Just "OK"

Plllog

Double Barrel - masculine
Lace Mantilla-too busy
Chain-modern

MIssy- Lace Mantilla for sure. But a typical Canadian Happy Camper either way. Missy forget the Lace, we need you to get better for us.

o
Teeny Hopping Froggy Dating Kermit The Toad

And hopping together in togetherness.

DSCF9158_2

Is it just my imagination or do the Guads need space, breathing room around them, to truly shine? Maybe too strong a pattern if bunched too closely.

Too bad we couldn't ask the guy who created the original design in Espana. I guess he's not around any more :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Talavera de la Reina

o
Before We Drop The Puck For Canada-Russia

Plllog- You didn't think I'd give up easily did you?

Funny thing is I never really gave the splash too much thought because I just assumed an all Yellow splash. It was me that brought the Guads into the picture and now... more? These elaborate ones are nice but the silly simple designs also work so it's tough.

A friend who saw our potential designs said something very "Plllogish". Is that a valid word in the Webster's Dictionary? She said that Yellow is a color that needs to be toned down. Hmmm.

10131-5

P.S. Sandra from Mexico City just voted... um Lace Mantilla. There's no doubt the female fans are eating this one up.

o
Score 8-2

Steff-It's nice to know that we can beat Germany in something ;)

Plus it was good target practice for tonight.

o
Shame On Amy

Just guessing here, but you and Amy are celebrating that big win over Germany?

No. Amy's probably celebrating with Fabio in Milano, just because he's got a Big Horse... Yellow Horse that is, on his Red front hood.

Silly girls, they never learn.

o
After 7 minutes 3-0!!!!

We are on FIRE!!!

Did I hear Gold Medal?

o

At the end of 2 it's 7-3. Is there a mercy rule in hockey?

o

GRRR. No mercy rule, Steff, and that's even conceivably recoverable. Problem is they have to run up the goals for tournament rules about who gets which advantage.

There actually is a garlic restaurant in L.A., but I've heard the food is only so-so. I've never been in Gilroy during the festival. You can't miss the garlic any time of year, however :)

Solman, great news about the sink! White it is!

But you missed my vote. I like the lace mantilla best, and the Talavera sampler version of double barrel second for its authenticity and masculinity. I don't so much like the chain but it's not awful or anything. Same with the double froggy. It's fine, but I like the real lace better than the hem tape version.

I really like your sample with the alternating Guad field tiles. That gives you the secondary pattern at the corneres with some resting places rather than overwhelming with a straight set of pure Guads. I think the border tiles are too much for you in the sample however. You could just do a half tile of flat cobalt instead if you want to frame it out.

Same thing for the fruit basket. Figure out the optimum height for the hood. Center the fruit basket vertically. Tile Setter will cut the field tiles to fit the top and bottom correctly.

Don't worry Solman! Amy's not two timing you with some romantic Italian. I saw her at Gelson's where she was selling cake of all things.

o

I think after the USA loss, Canada turned on the engines. Jet turbines that is.

At this level, Team Canada is invincible.

And that's 2 games in a row at this level, so it ain't no fluke.

o
Hunger))))

Plllog, how about the Tamales?

You don't want see a grown man crying from hunger I hope.

o

You see! Amy told me she'd be at your place working on the sweet corn Tamales but really she was at Gelson's doing cake. As in sell your cake and eat it too?

o

Solman, I'm not keeping tamales for you! We have year round tamales, and you can have fresh ones when you actually show up for lunch.

Funeral today. Don't be looking for me.

o

So things are a bit calmer in here today.

Solman, the mat looks pretty good as it is. It's used in pro kitchens and is getting popular in home kitchens as well.

o

Hi, sorry I still feel like I was hit by a bus. I don't get sick very often, but it seems to be a doozy when it catches up with me. :o( I am not ignoring you all, just don't feel like being online. Hopefully everyone is doing well, and work is progressing for the rest of you! I'll see you when I'm feeling more sociable.

o

Oh poor Missy. Yes please do rest and get better for us. I hope the lovely new Kitchen window brings much needed Vitamin D for recovery.

When I'm sick, I've always turned to Yogi Teas. Loblaws-Zehrs-Great Canadian Superstore now carry them in the "Health" section. Also available at all Health Food Stores. The formulations are all Ayurvedic. My savior is:

Cold Season Tea
Echinacea Immune Support Tea

I began healing by teas many years ago and it was like a miracle discovery. Nothing earth shattering actually since that is the basis for medicine for basically hundreds of years. When I'm in Mexico, I LOVE going to herbalists and seeing the bales of tree barks and flower buds etc. Two amazing Mexican super drinks are:

Agua de Jamaica- a delicious Mexican classic served almost everywhere. The deep wine red juice from boiling Jamaica flowers. It is a superfood for all kinds of ailments.

Agua de Tamarindo- Water from boiling Tamarind stems. Also an amazing super drink.

The Yogi Cold Season Tea is even in Germany. No surprise there with Germany and their Nature Mania. Can you tell that I'm utterly fascinated with Germany's obsession with being Natural. I obviously, secretly, envy "just" that part of their society.

Plllog, speaking of which, I did buy the Traumateel, as emergency first aid. Do thank your girlfriend for the strong recommendation. On the badly bruised hand note, it has fully healed after exactly one week of Arnica Cream. Amazing stuff. The modern medicine pharmas are no doubt faster but the naturopath ones always more healthy.

o
Back To The Reject Button

Stef- Plllog at the funeral and it being quiet in here today is a little coincidence. I just got in from TO and YES it's a Snow Blizzard :( Lovely drive home :( ---- x2.

Plllog- I hope you're not too sad as in the loss of a close family member. But any death is always shaking and sad.

At my Yoga retreat, for homework we were asked to think of death and then we discussed it the next day. The question was:

1. When did you come to planet Earth?
2. How long do you propose to stay here?
3. What are your future plans?

Almost everyone answered that

a) We weren't sure when we arrived. Likely seven or more lifetimes previously.

b) We have no choice as the heart will determine when you take the last breath.

c) the business that was finished or not finished will continue.

Very interesting concept which is based on this "soul" never dying, only the physical body. This soul simply changes bodies which means you could have been and will be many different human beings or creatures (karma).

The teacher talked about mental flashes such as "deja vu". Did that happen in this lifetime, another?

The concept is interesting since today we could be poor and deprived in poverty and suffering but another time may get a shot at comfort and luxury.
Of course sometimes comfort and luxury = suffering :)

The Dalai Lama always looks at misery the same way." It's not good or bad, it's just the way it is."

o

Oh, Missy, no pressure! Just get well.

Solman, are there really "western" cures for bruises? I haven't heard of any. Ice. Leaches. What else? Besides arnica? After they're set a little heat increases the blood flow for the corpuscles to take away the dead tissue. In fact, I wonder if the arinca works by increasing blood flow?

Aspirin is willowbark.

Digitalis is foxglove.

Penicillin is mold.

Etc.

o

Hi Everyone!

Congratulations on Team Canada, Solman!
Condolences, Pllog
Feel better Missy!
Hooray for your feet, Stef!

We, too, are completely snowed-in here on the Northeast coast of the USA!

o

We have year round tamales, and you can have fresh ones when you actually show up for lunch.

Hey, I wasn't even invited! It was you and Amy's Girls Out afternoon. And you both had your cake and ate it too! Now that's a double slap.

o

No, no, I didn't have cake!! Amy was hawking it but I didn't bite. And it was fresh sweet corn tamales. They were very good. But I'll confess to adulterating them. I couldn't help it. I added a little Bold As Love. I didn't think you needed a formal invitation to show up for tamales!

MV, thanks!

Solman, it was my uncle, but it was coming. Interesting way of thinking about things. Eastern philosophy is interesting, especailly the metaphysics.

o
It's Movie Night! Grab Some Popcorn and Enjoy The Show.

Sorry about your uncle Plllog, my condolences.

M.V.- You too huh. I think now we could host the remainder of the Olympics right here. My street can be the rink LOL!

Stef- Do you have the "White Stuff" in S.A.? By the way, just met someone that came back from the Bahamas and saidthe people felt the weather was "frigid". Well in their terms at 62F maybe. But for us that's a nice Spring day. Birds sing happily at 62F.

Plllog now I get it! Amy-supermarket-cakes-hawking. A new line? Tamale sales must be down.

These new ideas just rolled in off the Press.

Comments appreciated. Obviously not solman creations. Nice friends of mine that encouraged me to the Yoga retreat. Thanks Pinky.

She obviously like the hot Salsa.

DESIGN KITCHEN1

DESIGN KITCHEN2

DESIGN KITCHEN3

DESIGN KITCHEN4

DESIGN KITCHEN5

o

Stef- Do you miss this?

I'd love to see Plllog in a blizzard. She'd probably have her entire body inside a White Tarty hooded Down Parka with just her eyes peeping through, like a veiled Moroccan beauty.

Wait! Sky Blue has a seat sale to Buffalo, NY. Should I press the PURCHASE TICKET button?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stef Goes Down Memory Lane

o
Calling Snow White

Marthavila- Are you imprisoned in your abode by all this nonsense out there?

Just think it's all out street festival(s) right now in San Juan and we're in our cages LOL!

o

Our sympathy to you and your family, plllog.

Oh dear, Missy you really did get hit with something there. It's been nearly a week now. Hope you feel better soon.

Now that's a double slap. The second time in two days I've seen "slap" used in that way so I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. There are interesting applications of the word out there.

Those Canadian women hockey players know how to party. Congratulations!

o

Stef- Rather British that is.

When I'm in London visiting my Sister, I always get a laugh out hearing her make the eternal threat to her Sons:

"That's the last time I'm telling you before you get a good slap".

The clever boys listen, digest, and dispose of the comment and let the power of time take over. After 15 minutes, Mother forgets the threat and the boys can continue with business as usual :) Children are brilliant. And the real brilliant ones can roll you like a Yoyo without you even knowing. They know you love them too much.

o

Thanks, everybody.

Pinky does very pretty drawings. Solman, you haven't fessed up to her about the green, have you? Or is she just subtly reeling you back.

I'm not big on all the trim tiles. Or are you really five high, rather than four? Picture 4 looks very good.

But boy do you have my garb in a blizzard wrong!! I'm really really allergic to down, so that's not happening altogether, and you're more likely to see me in a pareo than a parka (unless you're talking about the cuddly, silk parka I wear when the frigid weather drops below 62F). You see, my way to dress for a blizzard is to be hundreds of miles away!! Easy! I would never expose my eyes to that kind of weather!!

o

No no Plllog.

We have to indoctrinate you into the Polar wilds. Don't worry you'll do well. Just imagine the serenity of you walking on a vast Glacier of White snow where only you and a cuddly Polar bear have walked for days. The melodic whistle of an Arctic "breeze". No more hectic, smoggy, LA Freeways. Only you and your Ultra fuel efficient sled and 3 blue eyed Canadian Huskies.

o
Green Line

Solman, you haven't fessed up to her about the green, have you? Or is she just subtly reeling you back.

No te preocupes por favor.

I think she just forgot. I was going to startk the grilled sink cabinet doors with the Green last weekend but realized that the MDF stuff will need to be Primered right? So, I'll be doing the wiggle with the brush inside the edges of the squares in primer first? Then the Green paint?

I'll try to go to Micheal's (supposedly serious art shop) to get a nice quality fine brush. I didn't trust the Home Depot offerings.

No we're still 4 rows high. I think the drawing may have been an oversight. Or she was thinking the "finger" moulding tile which is thin

So looks like your vote to The Mantilla is still on?

I've got in the counter right now in it's --warm up to-- mode.

Speaking of the White for the Cabinets, have you heard of BM Simply White? It seems pretty good.

o

We have been really cold all winter tonight is 39o for a low and only 62o for a high. That's about 20o below normal this time of year.

Those pics are nice, but you don't need the swirly trim.

Couldn't open memory lane, but will keep trying.

Looks like a Canada - USA showdown for the Hockey gold is in the making.

o
RE: That color

Just scrolled back up and saw the floor in the kitchen you posted on Tues. Looks like great color for my island. Into the Inspiration file it goes.

o

Stef-Yeah isn't that Green nice?

Speaking of color. When getting a paint match for the Green framing of the doors, should I be matching the Green in the Guads?

o

ROTFG!!! As if. The dogs are okay. I'll take them if you pick up the poop.

Primer sounds good, but you're out of my area. If your Michael's is the same Michael's as our Michael's it's neither serious nor an art shop. But you don't want a serious art brush for your grilles. Those can cost $100. You just need something that won't lose its hairs. The little "disposable" brushes at the paint store might work too.

I like the LM or DB best, but Pinky-4 looks good too, and none of them is bad.

What do you like??

I've got in the counter right now in it's --warm up to-- mode. <--What means this epigram?

Oooh! Steff! Aqua!

Re green trim pintura, you can match the green, or get Mexican flag green, or the same shade you've been using in your renderings. You don't want something that clashes with the Guads, but you don't need to be matchy.

o

What means this epigram?

Oh, that means The Lace is laid on the plywood right now for casual glances when entering and exiting the Kitchen. I do like it I think more than the Double Barrel Brothers. I just have to be sure that it won't swallow the Mural. But your rendering Plllog show it "mating" quite well with the Mural.

The Pinky 4 is nice but need some more opinions. The others scare me a bit. Too busy or detailed I think.

I seem to lean towards a space between the Guads like The Lace and Hopping Froggy. Would you agree that the kissing Guads in the chain are a tad bold?

Pinky's impression was that with all the Yellow on the counter and splash, the inset tiles and other Blue stuff tones Yellow down. Hence her renditions.

o
Sigh;;;;

ROTFG!!! As if. The dogs are okay. I'll take them if you pick up the poop.

Plllog, what do you think I am? Some kind of Arctic Pooper Picker-Uper?

I'm your Travel Co-Ordinator. Remember?

o
Oh No-Ladies Team Pursuit Shocker

Well done Stef USA just knocked us off.

The #1 ranked team and World Record Holders! Ouch.

o

Sniff. If my travel consultant wants to send me to Bali, fine. But when he has me trudging solo across the great white north with no one but a trio of sled dogs for company he had better expect to be picking up poop. Dogs just aren't picky about where they poop and never clean up after themselves. In fact, you can go on the trip, pick up the poop, and I'll stay here warm and dry (though it's going to rain, I'm inside.)

Thanks for the explanation. I think the LM will look fine, given the renderings. You can add a cobalt border to the basket if you want more separation. Can you pull out the basket tiles and add them to the audition?

Pinky's absolutely right about interesting tiles toning down the yellow. It's just that in some of hers you need more yellow to tone down the interesting tiles. :)

Would you agree that the kissing Guads in the chain are a tad bold? The kissing? I know kissing frogs... Do you mean as in abutting? If so, I think it looks fine in the chain because it's just the one line.

I also really like the Lace with the Guad field tiles. You might want more yellow than that, though, right? Too bad they don't have yellow background Guad field tiles. :) Did you try the chain with Guad field tiles? Kind of a froggy chain? I still think a single wide stripe looks like a bicycle jersey, but it's a look. :D

o

Noooo, we don't have to pick up the poop. I mean this isn't some Santa Monica neighborhood park, it's the Arctic!

There's already poop everywhere. Bear poop, Seal poop, Coyote poop and any other creature's poop that lives up there.

And now talking about all this is getting me pooped :)

o
Canada-Russia

10.6 Million Canadians were tuned in to the Canada -Russia massacre.

That's half of all Canadians.

Imagine the stats for the Gold Medal Canada-USA game.

Possibly all 22 million Canadians?

o

Well, yeah, but bear poop belongs there! And it's not on the trail. When I was young we used to be able to drink the free water. The reason there's giardia now, so they say, is people's dogs pooping on the trails. You can keep your poopy dogs.

I don't know how many Americans were watching the men's figure skating but it was enough that the digital signal totally quit. Luckily my company provides analog as well that you can route around the box. First time I've seen cable taken out by TV's. (Happens with computers.)

Very happy for Charles Hambelin. (sp?) He looks like a pirate. And it's nice seeing the big guys take it to the little ones who seem to have the advantage.

And if it snows that much when it's too warm to ski, what the heck are you people thinking???????

o

Chile. sad

o

Looks like terrible loss of life and one major Chilean city nearly wiped out. The tsunami warnings go all over the Pacific so be careful out there.

o

Sad.

Will Mother Nature ever stop this nonsense?

o
We Now Tune In ...

For This Special Splashdate.

El Gringo del Norte is gradually leaving denial stage and leaning to the natural beauty of The Lace Mantilla, inspired by the Pacific Goddess of the Sun.

The Guad field tile and Guad romantic rendezvous will be next in line for consideration to The Azteca Throne.

We now return to our regular scheduled programming.

o

Romantic Rendezvous?

o

Oooh, Mantilla and romantic rendezvous? A classic movie perhaps?

Meanwhile back in the San Antonio kitchen a bright color for the island is definitely on. Turquoise and Aqua are complementary colors with the orange/yellow/red Saltillo tiles and look great.

o

So? Sample pics? We wanna see!!!

o

Yes! Mas Salsa Picante Steff.

Ya see, the mean winter cold spell is even influencing the Rio Grande folk.

That's why we want... The Colorful Mexican Kitchen.

Vamos let's celebrate!

Stef- Please reserve the good Mexican S.A restaurant for tonight. Hopefully they do have a live band. I'll get Plllog to start dressing up in her shimmering Red Silk Flamenco dress and book her on the first flight out to S.A.

My apologies to DH, I know it's a little last minute but Margaritas are on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celebrating Stef's Burst of Color

o
Romance. You Want Romance?

Ladies

Turn down the lights, light the candles, and feel the words...

Here is a link that might be useful: Romance

o

Schmaltz.

[hee]

o
Querida

A very famous performance at the Grand Bellas Artes en Distrito Federal. 1990

Juan Gabriel- A Mexican Icon

Lights, camera, musica!

Here is a link that might be useful: Breathtaking Performance

o

LIsten to his orchestra!

o
Our Dolphin's a Tough One To Tame

Schmaltz!

Millions of litres of Latina tears have fallen at the sound of Juan Gabriel's words, I'll have you know.

Stef- That's it. I'm taking Plllog into training. Telenovelas Training.

She will hereby sit attentively and ladylike for 2 hours a day, every day, for the next 90 days in front of her Plasma. Her Latina instincts and sentimentalism will then be measured on the sol-ometer for grading.

o
Bio

What amazed/es me about Juan Gabriel is his universal appeal. From children to teenagers to adults to elderly, all of the Latina world have always been moved by his songs.

In 1990, I had the chance to see one of his grand performances Live at the Bellas Artes in Mexico City and foolishly I decided against. That performance ended up being one of his "career greatest" and was recorded on an unbelievable double live album.

Sadly, I also didn't get the chance to see MJ but very thankful that I saw Bob Marley and The Wailers twice before he died.

Say, what's the greatest Live performance that you have ever seen?

Here is a link that might be useful: Juan Gabriel Bio

o
Maybe A Little Saturday Night Romance and Mariachi

Popurri Palacio De Bellas Artes

Here is a link that might be useful: Popurri Palacio De Bellas Artes

o
Palacio de Bellas Artes

Mexico City

Here is a link that might be useful: Palacio de Bellas Artes

o
Doble

The site always has Saturday hiccups :(

o

Stef- Check this out. Just got this email. Hmm. Is that like fate? It was meant to be. Sick of winter and need to head South like you lucky souls.

But I'd have to give up the Mexican Kitchen :(

Or you could have it after the Houston house sells.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pack The Bags?

o
Just Imagine Amy's face...

When she opens the front door!

Fabio's Yellow Horse will be a distant memory :)

Mind you, I like Fabio's Yellow Horse. If only he wasn't driving it.

o
This Just In From Vera Cruz Mexico!

My friend Paco just voted...

Double Barreled Brothers!

His Sister Sandra...Lace Mantilla.

So far an interesting division of votes right down the gender line.

Hence the names. We could have called them Friends of Dirty Harry.

OMG! do you think the design's too violent for a kitchen? I mean it's like staring down the barrel of a loaded shotgun. Two of them to boot, I mean shoot. Maybe that's what a Druglord's backsplash would be... with emphasis on splash :)

o

Congratulations to the Canadian curling team. They did an awesome job and the fans were especially great when they cut off the idiot who was trying to distract the Norwegians. Very moving medal ceremony as well. You have more gold medals than anyone so you should be proud.

That house in Aspen looks cold and I'm not referring to the climate. It's too "done" and does not reflect the owner's personality. I would take the wine cellar though.

We enjoyed a performance at the beautiful Palacio des Bellas Artes years ago.

Not a Telenovela fan either.

o

Thanks Stef! you're such a good Canada Rooter. Sweet. Will have to send you a nice Canada toque ( before she peeps, yes the Roots Canada toques), judging by the weather in SA you could actually use it :)

Stef, I am so wowed. You saw a live performance at The Bellas Artes!

Congratulations. Maybe you're my needed inspiration. I actually missed that historic Juan Gabriel concert. Who did you see? Is it really impressive inside?

I agree that house is so I don't know how to spend my cash. Seems like the bigger the house, usually the uglier they get. Even in Canada.

o
Canada Gold

Golden day in Canada!

Wow. Stef that men's pursuit final was a thriller. I think the country cannot believe the number of Gold Medals, with only one more to go...
tomorrow. It's gonna be huge.

Actually I think USA beating Canada in the preliminary was not a good idea. It seemed to fire the team up. I think a tie or loss would have been actually better. Then Canada would have taken USA more lightly in the final. Tomorrow will be a war of revenge.

o

Not a Telenovela fan either.

Interesting Stef. It's so huge in Latin America that it literally brings a country to a standstill. Plllog, you probably remember from your Mexico living days. The women stay in the house and watch the whole 2 hour episode. Meanwhile businesses-bars-restaurants etc. are deserted. Even dating is put on hold as I once painfully found out. Surely, the reach is also strong in LA and SA with your close proximities to Mexico, combined with your large Latina populations. The Mexican Telenovellas reach Cuba, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, most everywhere.

One thing I can guarantee, without stereotyping, no man listens to a telenovella In Latin America. Looks briefly maybe, since the stars do tend to be... hot :)

o
A Little Saturday Night Romance and Mariachi

Aww Plllog,

And do remember it was I that tried to bring you a Little Saturday Night Romance and Mariachi. But I just discovered the link was bad. Whoops.

So here it goes again. Really, it's beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Saturday Night Romance and Mariachi

o
Raspberry?

No Raspberry smiley on my White Macbook Senorita.

o
snl?

"Did you catch the "Latino" reaction to the Olympics on SNL? Very culturist, but boy did they express my feelings about being there (though I did enjoy having it on TV)."

No. Sorry. I don't even know what SNL is.

o

No. Sorry. I don't even know what SNL is.

Saturday Night Live. An American comedy institution brought to us each week for the most part by Canadian producers and actors. Missed it this week, the curling final really wiped me out so went to bed. Just kidding. We did stay up long enough to see a kid from San Antonio win a Gold medal. Not sure how many Winter Olympians there are from SA, but it can't be too many as the nearest place to train is at least 600 miles away.

We saw the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico at the Palacio des Bellas Artes years ago. A bit touristy, I know, but lively, colorful, and fun. The Tiffany glass curtain is beautiful.

Sorry, no cheering for Canada today.

o

YIKES! My apologies to all. I thought it was a free smiley. It looks like a smiley blowing a raspberry and making a face on my screen. I didn't know they could even do that! It's not a link on my screen. That's scarey! I've reported it to the PTB (powers that be) and hope they can just erase it.

So here's the SNL piece. It's definitely culturist, but I so agree with it all I can't be offended!

o

So glad you explained that plllog! I was wondering....

Loved the hilarious SNL skit. That really is the view of most locals to the idea of going someplace cold in the winter.

Nice offer, solman. Even Roots is featuring hats that look like aussie swimming caps. Must be the latest in Canadian fashion. We're already getting warm here, though.

Next up is Fiesta San Antonio in April. I was going to post smiley mariachis, but think I'll avoid trouble and skip that for now. They're very cute if you want to look them up in the lower right corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smiley link

o

Hey Stef- I'll get you a Ngano Roots Hat+the hot Red Canada jackets worn by our Gold Medal team if you root for us. OK?

Plllog, you know they're stylish. I like how tightly they're cut. I hope North America finally reaches European sizing. Thank goodness for Slim Fit shirts which are still a full size bigger than Europe :(

o
Shucks to SNL

Thanks for trying Plllog. But I got this lovely message:

For now, Hulu is a U.S. service only. That said, our intention is to make Hulu's growing content lineup available worldwide. This requires clearing the rights for each show or film in each specific geography and will take time. We're encouraged by how many content providers have already been working along these lines so that their programs can be available over the Internet to a much larger, global audience. The Hulu team is committed to making great programming available across the globe.

Oh well :(

o

Stef- Have you seen Plllog?

I hope she's not glued into a Sunday Telenovella :)

o
snl

Saturday Night Live. An American comedy institution brought to us each week for the most part by Canadian producers and actors.

LOL! Stef. I just never heard it coined with letters SNL.

o
Get Well Wishes To Our Poor Missy

We hope you're getting better and can watch the game today.

We need your rooting with your famous Pom Pom smiley.

Even Stef's joined our side today, right Stef ;)

o
Canada Street Update!

The streets are DESERTED!

Literally, not a car on the road. The local bar's parking lot is packed.

Yes much bigger than the Super Bowl.

We now return to our regular programming.

o

cheercheercheer

USA!!!

o
Ouch!

Overtime :(

o
gold!!!!!!!

nike-nike_375181100_1a

o

Well done and congratulations! At least we gave you a good scare.

o
Absolute Hysteria Has Broken

Thanks Stef!

This country has just exploded from coast to coast. Not sure if they showed it on your telecast.

There are cars honking the main streets here in my city.

Downtown TO, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Halifax streets have been closed for celebration. I haven't felt this euphoria since Canada beat Russia in the historic Canada Russia 7 game series.

This is a Hockey Nation.

o
Special Gift Delivery For Senorita Plllog

!Bmhd3N!B2k~$(KGrHqQOKiwEtk6dnLhpBLf3KggtPw~~_35.JPG

o

Much better looking hat.

Good game.

Don't let them give in come Russia!

o
Special Gift Delivery For Stef

Canada's biggest rooter South of the 49th Parallel.

Thank you Stef :)

4b11a7887e0f6_64230b

o

Stef-I just noticed your Cheerleaders smileys LOL!

Now, that opens up a whole new topic- Hockey Cheerleaders. In such a high octane testosterone sport, doesn't this make a whole lot of sense?

Girls skating on the ice with spandex figure skating outfits and stringy Pom Poms, white pearly teeth, and the token blonde dye. Do you think it would make the game better? If the formula works for football, why not hockey?

o

The pom pom girls are from plllog. I've sworn off smileys until I'm certain they aren't in disguise. Now that plllog has posted a clean one I might just try again.

Thanks for the scarf. That plaid is so up north, eh? The hat is cute, too.

And no, I did not root for Canada over USA. Only when we are out of it is that possible.

o

Solman is snowblind and can't tell us apart anymore. :)

What I want to see is the skating marching band! autostumble

o

Smileys doing the wave, what next?

Mariachi smileys in honor of Fiesta San Antonio

o

I thought they were a kick line. To go with the marching band. I could only find a single band smiley, and a marching band with one member is something only buskers have.

o

I don't understand. The closing ceremonies seem to be happening in the background, but they're not actually showing them. It's confusing and sad. They're showing reruns of sports past. :(

o
Wasn't That Something?

So you like us Canadians, eh ?

You just know I liked Micheal Bouble's stage Mountettes :)

That ending was really great. Every possible stereotype of Canada all on the same stage, at the same time. LOL!

And yes I have seen a Beaver within 50 feet of me and many a Moose.

o

LOL! on the Smilies Senoritas.

Cute.

o
Just Thought of Something

Plllog-Stef,

If the Olympics are sadly over, what do we do now? Go back to tiles and paint and grout. :(

o

I hope Missy has been nursing her disease well.

And yes, of course I like Canadians. Who doesn't? When the national character is nice? But what's with the clothes??????? Did they want to get dirt kicked on them? I mean, nice is good. But you can be nice and cool both! What's with the moose sweaters and ear-flap hats? The ceremony is indoors!!! The hats aren't as bad as the Aussie bathing caps, but close. And the sweaters look like the kind moms give at Christmas that get shoved in drawers so the giftees don't have to be seen in them.

I'm very happy that you redeemed your podium, but really! The worst I saw from the U.S. were those star spangled snowsuits that looked like pyjamas. Kind of cool pyjamas.

Nope. Y'all might have won at hockey, but not in the fashion parade.

o

OMG! Did you see the Sochi Russian Presentation?

I loved it! Those are going to be stellar Olympics. I can just feel it now.

You know, I think this is the first time I'vereally enjoyed the Winter Olympics in ages.

Could be the hoo Rah Rah of I AM CANADIAN and wildly Nationalistic sentiment too. (even if my Kitchen is Mexican LOL!)

But it was just nice. Well notice I changed my tune in Week 2 when the Gold medals started rolling in :)

o

Nope. Y'all might have won at hockey, but not in the fashion parade.

My vote for the most stunning Olympic Wear for Vancouver ..... Russia!

Beautiful.

And your's?

o
Just A Reminder

While we're still in Vancouver 2010 Celebration Mode...

Here is a link that might be useful: I AM CANADIAN

o
This One's Better

No No.

Not the last one. Click this one. It's better!

Here is a link that might be useful: I AM CANADIAN

o

Oooh! I LOVED "Canada on Parade" or whatever the heck that was called. That's cool goofy (unlike the athletes' sweaters and the you-know-what hats, which are lame dork goofy). I especially liked the beavers and flying moose with Michael Buble in a dinner jacket standing on a gigantic Mountie hat singing Maple Leaf Forever.

Glad you enjoyed it, even if it took medals to get you in the mood.

The Sochi presentation was very nice. Very Russian. I liked the opening part of the film with everything made of ice best because it's much more now and future. I don't expect anyone else to notice, but I did appreciate that the ballerinas looked like dancers rather than the Ballenchinesque deformities that we get here. Russia is still the best for classical dance. But Ballet hasn't been an Olympic event for a really long time. If any dance gets in, it'll probably be Ballroom, which has standardized competitive criteria, and is done at a high level all over the world.

o

Nice commercial eh?

Really, maybe one of the best TV commercials I've ever seen.

o

I missed the closing ceremonies. Should have hit the DVR, well I'm sure I'll find some of it on the net.

My favorite so far is this crazy Canadian guy in a red velvet jacket going on about hockey. I think this is meant as serious stuff, but I was rofl.

Missy, we miss you and hope you are feeling better.

o
Team Canada Gold Medal Update

Yonge St. (Canada's longest street) in TO was closed to traffic until 8 A.M. today.

Many businesses have also given workers a half day to encourage parade participation. It is actually bigger than a Stanley Cup victory.

Sidney Crosby is the new Great One. At 22, he already has a Stanley Cup winning goal and an Olympic Gold medal winning goal. Not bad for a kid from the fishing village eh?

o

I think that kid has reclaimed the name "Sidney" from middle aged accountants and improbably named female TV drama characters.

How many little Gordies, Butchies, and Waynes are there in Canada anyway? And Marcels?

o
Today's Toronto Star Headline

" The True North!"

"It's Canada's game. And 3-2 win over U.S. crowns our Golden Olympics with glory."

o

Hi all, It's nice to be missed. :o)
That was a doozy, I tell ya. I finally started to feel half way human on Saturday, and then we were into reno mode again for 2 days. Yesterday was catch up day for laundry, housework etc, so finally today I have some time to come and say hey. :o)
I did get to see some of the end of the olympics - how exciting was that hockey game!!! I watched some of the closing ceremonies, but not all unfortunately. I'll have to do some Youtubeing along with Steff.
I watched Tom Brokaw's special on Canada - pretty ambitious project for 6 minutes, but very interesting. It's amazing when you think that Canada's population is pretty much the same as California, eh? Forgive me if someone posted the link here already.
I managed to get the baby quilts done, but haven't delivered them yet. I will try to post some pics here later today.
ttyl :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Brokaw explains Canada

o

Hi Missy!!!!

Glad to hear the quilts are done despite the illness.

o

Hi Missy,

Glad you are doing better now.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed that nice overview of our neighborly relationship. Canada is beautiful and definitely cold.

Those clips brought back memories of the Iranian Hostage Crisis and the special role Canada played in it. Although the story doesn't mention it, I am pretty sure the second group released two weeks later also went through Canada as we had no other way to get them home. One of those guys is a close friend of ours and can be seen in the short clip of blindfolded hostages being moved at gunpoint. It is a famous photo and every five years it jumps out at us in the grocery checkout line as the news magazines mark yet another anniversary. I also remember seeing a documentary on CBC about this when we were in Banff.

o

HiHi, Thanks Plllog and Steff. :)

That link was apparently what was played on some US stations right before the opening ceremonies of the games. That's neat that you know someone that was involved in the Iran situation in 79, Steff. I am your friend is still around to be your friend! I wasn't very old then, but I sure remember vividly seeing it on the news. I did not understand what all was involved, but it did make an impression on me. I kind of thought (then) that Ken Taylor looked like Mister Brady. oi

I took a couple of pics of the quilts - I don't really anywhere to lay them out properly so I had to improvise - sorry about the pic quality. (Boy I'll be glad when this reno is done!)

click thumbs for full-sized pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

SNIFFLE ;;;;;

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here