Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mngolfnut

Different counter top material for island??

mngolfnut
14 years ago

I'm in the process of building a small summer home that I will likely try to sell in the near future. We ordered cherry cabinets with cranberry stain and a black glaze. The kitchen is roughly 12x12 with a 5' island. My budget is tight, so I was planning to use laminate counter top that resembles granite. The problem is that with laminate my island edge choices are very limited. I was planning to use a bullnose or ogee edge which doesn't work on the island. You can only get a square or a beveled edge if you want all 4 sides of the island to match. Here's what I'm considering. BTW, the flooring will be a light colored ceramic tile.

Option 1:

Light colored laminate for the perimeter of the kitchen with a dark colored Corian island (bullnose or ogee edge for everything)

Option 2:

Dark colored laminate for the permieter of the kitchen with light colored Corian island (bullnose or ogee edge)

Option 3:

Matching laminate for everything with a square or beveled edge.

I'm looking at Corian (solid surface) because I can get a remnant the exact size that I need at a considerable discount over granite or quartz. I'm curious to hear what other people think. Laminate plus Corian feels like a funny combination to me.