Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part X11!

solman
14 years ago

Hi Guys,

Welcome to the era of X11, a colorful journey into the realm of the unknown kitchen.

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part X1 of this thread.

Comments (150)

• plllog
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oops! I got the sizes backwards on the window one.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

That looks really good and very traditional. I had thought to leave one row of yellow around the mural, but that looks good and not too busy going right up to the mural.

• plllog
    14 years ago

• steff_1
    14 years ago

The double barrel looks pretty good, too. The pattern doesn't work out evenly all around, but having the plain yellows on the ends means you don't have to cut the Guadalajaras.

Solman must be out with Amy again.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

My vote is for the checkerboard. And, yes, the Guads look good going up directly to the mural. The double barrels look a tad too rigid -- especially adjacent to the mural, which is more "relaxed."

• plllog
    14 years ago

Problem is Solman doesn't have enough of the Guadalajara tiles.

So, Solly, how many of those things do you have?

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Boy,

I just got in and see that we're all doing a little late night peek-a-boo. )))))) Cute.

Feels like a Friday night girls pyjama party. (not that I would know about those)

Sorry Stef, Marthavila forgot to tell you that I had to dip out to the local Flower shop for our special one. It was also a little spirit lifter for her poor bushes that took a beating during the canal expansion.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

According to Galileo's actual measurements by tile and grout taken from tiles currently on the counter.

On the window elevation, I've allowed for the width of the wood window frame@ 4 1/4 inches

Window elevation

Left of window-10 tiles
    Right of window- 8 tiles

Cooking Elevation

Right of Mural- 11 1/2
    Left of Mural- 6 (that helps the elimination of the ugly sliver of the" Guad" (new coining of name copyrighted by Marthavila)

One more alternative design ccccoming right up.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh. I was going off of your measurements, but that's neither here nor there.

How many Guadalajara tiles do you have?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Like actual tiles in hand (box)?

• plllog
    14 years ago

The flowers are very pretty, Solman. Thank-you! But you didn't have to go out in the cold to fetch them!

BTW, did you know? It's going to rain here...

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There was one other design that I'm not sure if we considered in my numerous mock up's. So I'll bring it to the table.

After seeing steps with the look with actual "Guads" I thought we should give it a second look anyways. Not to mention my "fav"famous Upscale Spanish Kitchen photo.

OK Artistas----- Shazam!

Gulp;;;; Yup that's right a 1/2 Guad in the corner.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did somebody say we'd like this to scale and with the real McCoy for the oven?

• plllog
    14 years ago

• plllog
    14 years ago

Me!! Me!!! I did!!! I did!!!

Looks good, Solman. But I don't like the raised fruit basket. Do you need the extra 4"? Then cut the yellow tiles and do top and bottom. Or get some cobalts in the right shape. Cobalt would be better.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"BTW, did you know? It's going to rain here..."

Plllog you poor soul! OK we've got to get you out of here as soon as possible. And all the blowing grout is not
    good for your new doo.

Actually, Stef can you please call Quantas and get Plllog booked on the next flight to Melbourne? I'll pick her up in Arrivals tomorrow morning; and do remind her to bring her Pink Havaianas. She'll need them!

Marthavila- long story but our Pacific Dolphin does not like the rain, believe me.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The flowers are very pretty, Solman. Thank-you! But you didn't have to go out in the cold to fetch them!

Oh no no, because you're worth it! If I can do it for Amy, then that's the least I can do for you. ;;;; BLUSH.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No. No method to the madness. I just added one Yellow tile on the bottom to lift the Mural off the counter because I thought you had to.

But, if it's visually wrong then by all means we can eliminate the bottom yellow row.

Plllog the drawings in your 21:39 post look really nice. A realistic visual for a mere rendition. I like your's better than mine.

Marthavila- I think you might have a good point. I hope that didn't count as a commitment. More like a Shakespearean aside :) I wonder what you think about the #3 Chain Design.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How many Guadalajara tiles do you have?

A whopping 19!

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys,

))))) Waving furiously from Melbourne

Looks like we saved Plllog. Great work on the bookings Stef, thanks. She's now singing to a whole new beat---Salsa.

Ahha the good old ancient remedy of Sunshine!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Solman, all my renderings are the same other than adjusting the number of tiles and the right/left booboo, just the first one is bigger. Oh, except the wrong double barrel posted on the last one! It was supposed to be by count. On these I took the tile images from a shop so they were already flat and cropped, and laid them with snap to grid. I can add grout lines if you want, but it's a bit of a pain on an imported image.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe because you first 2 were bigger. But I like how the tiles look more 3D and curved. Actually your grout lines are more realistic since I actually won't have much grout showing.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

We are having great weather here today, but it's going to rain tomorrow.

Only 19 deco tiles to work with? Both of the designs we are looking at use more than that.

Gloria is always great, have you seen this one?

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Crossposted. That last one looks good, especially with the mural grounded.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"That looks really good and very traditional."

Stef- your comment just hit me. It was very interesting since earlier this week I showed an Artsy girl in the Yoga course our 3 designs to date and her comments were:

I like 1 (Lace Mantilla) and 3 (Chain) design.

2 design, (Double Barrel Brothers) if it is on floor then it's fine forget no 2
    design

design 3 - looks so good
    design 1- it has the real village look.

So both of you interpreted the Lace Mantilla as very traditional. Interesting.

Yes I'm fascinated by Marketing Research LOL!

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stef-The Conga Link didn't work!

Holy Psychic spooks. I just sent you the above and you cross posted at the same time. And I was about to ask you about this verdigris finish and what it is as I have no idea. I was going to go now and look for the issue of BHG to understand it.

So you like the Grounded Mural Huh?

Don't worry about the inventory of the "Guads" since I was going to have to order about 40 Yellows to be able to wrap around the wall at the ends of both elevations anyways. So the extras that we need in "Guads" would offset the Yellows? I think?

Off to the BM paint shop to try and match the Green from the corner of the Guadalajaras for my sponging "homework assignment" from my UCLA Professora :)

• plllog
    14 years ago

For you, Solman, bigger. Photobucket adjusts the size, so the pictures are a little off scale side by side rather than as one unit.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Re Guadalajaras: Mixing in new ones with 15 year old ones will be difficult. You could get all new. 19 more isn't too much expense, and might come anyway if you're buying by the box, or choose a style that conserves what you have.

• plllog
    14 years ago

From last Saturday: "Bottle of Wine" is by Tom Paxton [i.e., not "Traditional", though people in countries all over claim it as a folk song], checkerboards are traditional.

See! All these dream vacations you're sending me on have you forgetting the basics!!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Here's another try. I may need a training upgrade.

From Merriam-Webster: Verdigris is the green-blue poisonous pigment that forms on weathered copper. Literally means green of Greece.

The faux version was overused in the 80's, but is likely due for a comeback just like brass.

The magazine is Beautiful Kitchens. Look for the white-cream kitchen with the blue-green island. It's not exactly the verdigris color I had in mind, but more as a reference that the idea of how a bright color would look on the island in my kitchen.

The verdigris faux finish generally looks like this.

I double checked both these links and will post this.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Y'know, I actually like the double barrels with the mixed deco tiles.

OTOH, the advantage to doing a whole different backsplash is that that way you conserve the yellow tiles and don't have to mix them with a new lot.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Training successful.

I like the idea of alternating the reverse tiles rather than trying to match.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Solman, you don't even have enough Guads for the straight line! If you're not getting more decos all you can do is the broken line. Sigh.

Steff, I resemble that remark!! There's brass all over my new kitchen including the hood! (Hm... maybe I should pull out my '80's brass planters too...)

• steff_1
    14 years ago

If you do the double barrels the mixed tiles would look intentional.

Just to get in another guy vote, DH likes the double barrels best.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A little something for you.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

lol, Solman. Definitely have not seen that one, it's not a chart crossover for sure. I guess she's dressed for her Quinceanara or wedding. The mantilla does have relevance to our discussion, though.

The brass hood sounds awesome. Brass was never a problem, just the overuse of cheap plate that scratched and didn't wear well. Those 80's planters might be just the thing. My new faucet is Victorian Bronze finish. Not as dark as ORB and stainless just wouldn't have worked.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Wow! That video is something!! It makes me think more of first communion, with the candles and altar and the plea to the saints, though that pouf is full on quinceañera. That has to be one of the cheesiest videos ever!! Fun!

Steff, thanks for the polling. I think that's also what I like about the double barrel--it's very masculine.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Galileo 11 was just seen in his dormitory formulating tile quantities and breathing heavily... correction deeply.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad everyone enjoyed the video. Could that have been a little primer for the next trip ... ?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Okay, time to tease Solman. Missy, avert your eyes.

Ready?

What a difference eight years makes. The entire world went into a frenzy over the cool of Team Canada's Roots hats at Salt Lake. The next go round the U.S. team wore Canadian hats because they were so cool. So what are the Canadians wearing now? Dorky knit hats that look like Aussie bathing caps!!! What's with that?

• plllog
    14 years ago

I promised MV a preview. I don't know that it looks all that different in the photo than before the grout. There's still some haze because of the kind of tile. Anyway, I'm making good on my promise so here it is:

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Wow, that looks so good! Very unique and special. Love those round tiles and the knobs and, well, all of it really. The grout does make some difference from the previous photo. We saw it here first! Thanks, plllog.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lindisimo!!!!!!!!

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The entire world went into a frenzy over the cool of Team Canada's Roots hats at Salt Lake. So what are the Canadians wearing now? Dorky knit hats that look like Aussie bathing caps!!!

THUD!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Pllog: Only an artist could create something like that! Fantastico!!! I mean, I'm really, really digging it. The whole interplay between the window surround, countertop and backsplash is off the hook. I simply cannot wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!

Everyone: On Solman's backsplash, I gotta say that I'm feeling reminded of the faucet discussion. Granted - Octopussy was kind of out there. LOL! But I was so not feeling the winner. (Sorry, Solman. How you feel about your faucet is the only thing that truly counts here). But now, I'm feeling a repeat of being a lonely voice at the polls when it comes to the grounded fruit basket surrounded by double barrels! I'd much rather see the basket lifted and Lace Mantilla pattern (or at least that's what I think I like -- kinda guessing on the names here). Yeah. Not to worry. I get it -- the double barrel is a man thing. Well, even so, I just had to share my 2 cents. That done, I'm going back to lurkerdom and the start of The Amazing Race!

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Based on the geometric calculations with the Earth at a 42 degree axis, and 46.6 % exposure to the sun and within 284 days of a Lunar Eclipse, the calculation is as follows:

Yellow Inventory 10 year old 1st Dye Lot = 243 Yellow
    Yellow inventory This year -2nd Dye lot= 30 Yellow

Total Yellow inventory = 273 Yellow

Less:

Total Yellow tiles needed for countertop = 181 Yellow

Yellow available for backsplash and sides = 92 Yellow
    Guads inventory = 19 Guads

Total splash including sides (24) required= 166 tiles (combination of)

Tile Usage:

Option Double Barrel Brothers

Total Yellow = 90+24 wall wraparound=114
    Total "Guads" = 52

Option Lace Mantilla (must be a girl that came up with that name)

Yellow= 89+24 wall wraparound=113
    "Guads"= 53

Option Chain

Yellow=107 +24 wraparound=131
    Guads= 35.5

Die Lot Variation (bottom 2 tiles) Left 10 year old stock Right new Qty. in stock.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looked at their Blue Plastic, sorry "Americast" sink and it was horrible. Bad quality and strange Blue. Not surprisingly, the Cast Iron look alike is now discontinued line.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog- Regarding the Guads. Those are new. 10 years ago I did not buy any Guads. The idea was all Yellow Splash and all Yellow countertop.

It is moi that complicated things with the introduction of Cobalt edge tiles and the Guads. All for the better, I think.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler