Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenforroses

Photobucket Premium?

karenforroses
18 years ago

I'm registering with Photobucket so I can download some of my kitchen pictures as our remodeling progresses. I have the option of free or premium ($25 per year). What are the pros and cons? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

I don't know what extras you get for going premium. I never looked into it, because the site does everything I need it to with a free account, and I post pics here on almost a daily basis.

• zshopper
    18 years ago

I too want to post pictures. I finally got a digital camera but I use Kodak easy share (ofoto). Do I have to enroll in photobucket in order to post pictures or can I use ofoto? A few pointers would be appreciated.

• paulines
    18 years ago

Here's what I do (I have Kodak Easy Share, also). Transfer pictures to the Kodak program. Save them to my documents -then upload them to my Photobucket account and post away. You are allowed 8 pictures on the free account, so you may have to periodically delete and upload new photos for posting. I'm not sure if you can post directly from ofoto.

• paigect
    18 years ago

You can post as many pictures as you want for free on Shutterfly.

• zshopper
    18 years ago

Well I already have ofoto and can email to anyone, how do I email to this thread. When I email pictures I just highlight the picture then send to the person I want to email and press send. Can anyone walk me through?

• celticmoon
    18 years ago

I thought photobucket allowed way more than eight. I have many stored there and have posted any that I wanted to without a problem.

Zshopper, this board isn't really an e mail system, more a giant bulletin board. You can't email to here. You can only pin up a notice or message, and part of that message can be a URL address or a link to a photo that is living on another giant bulletin board someplace else on the internet.

Kind of like the US mail vs. the grocery store bulletin board. Both do what they do, but there is no connection.

Photobucket is easy and free. You click on and send pix there from your computer and each then has a home and address on the internet. So in a message you can cite that address.

I am not familiar with ofoto, but I think your photos there are more protected and private.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

I thought photobucket allowed way more than eight.

I thought so, too!! I'm up to over 300 pics, and I still have a free account!!

• zshopper
    18 years ago

I dont want to email I want to post, I just dont know how to go about it. Yes I'll go to Photobucket but am not sure how to link it to this thread.

• paulines
    18 years ago

Really Bill? I'm going to check out my account - it seems I have only one page.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Pauline-- it's an "unending" page, though, to some extent. Just keep uploading images, and it'll form new pages as needed.

zshopper-- with each picture, you get what's called a "tag line". Just copy and paste that tag line into the text of your message, and when you post, it appears, like magic!! :-)

• celticmoon
    18 years ago

Site is Photobucket.com

Set up different albums right away or you will have chaos eventually. If you reorganize pictures later, the links change and your photos then disappear from where you posted them.

Also be sure to use the "resize" button under edit if you want to put a picture inside your message. Otherwise it posts too big. 50% works well for kitchen forum.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Normally I'll resize them before they even get uploaded with Paint Shop Pro. I'm not sure which version came with my laptop, but on my last computer I got the freeware version and it did just as good a job. Very easy to use, and I try and keep everything down to approximately 400x600 pixels or smaller.

• karenforroses
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All of your input has been so helpful! Now if I could just finish up the kitchen, I'll have time to set up my Photobucket site and post pictures. As always, you folks here on the Kitchen forum are so appreciated for your knowledge, experience and willingness to take the time to help.

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

I have Premium and paid the $25. I don't really remember what the other benefits are, but I did it to get rid of the ads and to have a cleaner, more pleasant page.

• budge1
    18 years ago

Can I just add here something that Celticmoon taught me today.

When you set up your photobucket account you can go into "my account" and make it available to view publicly. This way you can just cut an d paste the photobucket url for your album and everyone will be able to see. This worked for me, but I guess if you dont' want everyone to see all your pics there it wouldn't be so great.

Thanks again Celticmoon for the tip.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Mine is also open for public viewing, but most of the time, people are asking specific questions, which is why I'll just post the appropriate pics.

Also, I finally reached my limit in photobucket the other day-- 310 pics, and they sent me an email imforming me that I was getting close to my limit. Being the cheap SOB that I am, I went and deleted a bunch that I don't use too much anymore!! LOL

• ImaPseudonym
    18 years ago

I'm confused about the 8 picture limit on photobucket.com. Those must be some huge pictures. I have about 500 on mine and I haven't gotten to my limit yet.

Ima

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

The reason is the amount of space they take up. All my pics get taken at the camera's second to lowest quality setting, unless there's a minute detail I'm trying to capture. Secondly, once I download them off the camera, they get reduced in size to about 600x450 pixels, so that they only take up 40-50 kb. I've got one pic on my computer that I had to take for an article that's coming out next month, where the publisher wanted a high def head shot for the article, and for a cropped 400x400 pic, it's alomst 1200 kb. So as you can see, both the quality and the size of the pics make a HUGE difference.