Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I paid too much at HD? (granite countertop)

Posted by no_name2008 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 18:34

perhaps a buyers remorse or cooling period setting in.
HD was having 10% off on their granites, got in and walked out with a contract in hand...

chose a Group A color Amazon Ubatuba, demi-bullnose (was $7.50 per foot extra), under mount finish, 4 holes, and DIY demo work. Bottom line total ended up about $51 per sq ft. That's without any sink or faucet purchase.
I still have a chance to back out since the template work won't get done for a while. I checked around today and couple places' starting price are $47, to my surprise.
Should I look harder for lower final price? Would I risk poor craftsmanship and after install service (local company close down later) should I see something in the $30s?

I know HD service is hit or miss, I found out the fabricators that'll be doing the work. Should I just cancel and go to them directly?
sorry for all the questions, it's a nervious decision!
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I paid too much at HD? (granite countertop)

You're always going to find someone who'll lowball the price you've been given just to get the work, espeiclaly in this economy. That said, I've got two contradictory things to say. First, as you've already found out, HD is hit or miss, and I've seen just as many nightmares as I have happy endings. Secondly, the price you've been given really isn't that bad, provided you get what you're paying for.

One other thing-- You say you haven't gotten the faucets or sink yet-- you want to make sure that not only do you get those to them before they begin fabrication, but you also want to get a receipt from them that you've handed those pieces to them, so there's no question about it later.

As for going directly to the fabricator, they may very well have a no- compete clause with Home Depot just for that reason.

o
RE: Did I paid too much at HD? (granite countertop)

Right, most of my local fabricators are actually charging higher on the granite price for the same ubatuba. I would totally get someone else to do it if the price difference was over $5/sqft, not found none.
Another reason going with HD is that, if any problem arise (knocks wood), I would have someone to complaint to. Chance of HD stick around for the next 15 years to stand by their warranty is much higher, then say a lot of the start up granite companies I've contacted.
And thank you Bill for the advise on getting receipt when they take the sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here