Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This is a variation on the care of the elderly thread

Posted by anovaguy (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 15:39

My wife and I love cruises and I thought other participants would find interesting.

I actually suggested to my wife - half-jokingly - after our last cruise that we spend winters cruising! Anyway, today I received this email that I thought was entertaining and intriguing.

Cruise Ship vs Nursing Home

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the Western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room.

I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told that she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back-to-back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations on a Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day.

That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast-in-bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go.

So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

PS: And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side -- at no charge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This is a variation on the care of the elderly thread

I read this analysis in the Chicago Tribune awhile back (I think they mentioned it on the Today show as well) and I thought it was such a ridiculous comparison. As if the room stewards are going to bathe or dress a "passenger" who is truly in need of nursing home services. It seems like newspapers are desperate to find material to fill their pages when such drivel is "reported".

o

I love it, I'll join you. Sure be great when the grandkids visit. (I love drivel, too)

o

There's a basic fallacy in this cute little story.

A healthy person does not need a nursing home. A nursing home is not the same thing as a retirement home. A nursing home provides 24 hour skilled nursing care plus 24 hour assistance care. The cruise ship won't have someone answering the buzzer every time a bed-bound person needs the bed panin the middle of the night.

A healthy older person is wise to think ahead, and this is a cute story. But it just ain't so.

o

i've got a few years to go, but it sounds like a plan to me! thanks for the smile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here