Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to expect?

Posted by mariposatraicionera (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 06 at 13:28

Well sis had chemo last week for 48 hours, and after being in the hospital since 23rd January, she will be released today. She has to return for chemo in two weeks time though.

During her days with chemo it was AWFUL. I've never seen anyone that sick, and it was very painful to watch her. However, the last couple of days she perked up and started back eating. She's down to 98 lbs but was only 110 to begin with. Hopefully she'll gain some weight before her next encounter with chemo.

I'm not sure what to expect in the following weeks...any words of wisdom? Thoughts? She's handled the news very well, but that could change in the following months.

I guess what I want to know is what I should do for her besides visiting. I feel kind of helpless to be honest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to expect?

Just be there for her and willing to discuss whatever she wants. When you visit, bring a meal and you could offer to do some laundry or vac.

o

Mari, I don't know what your beliefs are, but I gotta tell you, prayer is a pretty powerful thing. :-)

o

There are a lot of people praying for her Bill.

o

Try the American Cancer Societys website. Its a very informative site, although some of the statistics can be a bit grim. I know that their book lists the common treatments for each type of cancer and its typical side effects. Most chemos go after the cancer pretty effectively, but often other substances are also destroyed. My mother almost died from potassium depletion. In addition to tempting her to eat, you can temp her to eat what she needs.

One of the things many ill people find especially hard is the impact their illness is having on their loved ones. Anything you can do to help the family keep some semblance of normalcy would probably be appreciated. Water the plants, clean, cook, etc. Take the kids to their activities, pick them up, and help them with their homework. Find out what their favorite meals are and get them on the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Cancer Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here