Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Hollywood Regency, Design Around This #15

palimpsest
12 years ago

We are going to try posting the Design Around Threads on the Conversations Side.

Pleas post your designs in this thread. Give your design a name or title so people who are commenting on it can refer back to it easily.

Thanks.:)

Comments (75)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Florantha, thanks for posting the additional pictures on the background thread. Those are great examples.

I like the silver chair you show much better. All of these designers used French chairs. Some of them seemed to use French side chairs with Everything, no matter how modern the rest of the room got.

This room is based upon The Greenbriar drawing room.
    Bisazza Springrose Mosaic
    Farrow and Ball Off-Black Paint and Closet Stripe paper
    White Zeus Extreme Silestone quartz
    Kraftmaid slab door cabinets with drawer edge pull (Mockett) and large ring pull (Hardware Hut)

Epoxy floor in Beton Flame (garage floor paint)
    Currey and Company Orion chandelier
    Dorothy Draper Chair through Kindel
    Baker Pedestal table
    Velvet cut carpet in Loden

This room's only truly high end element is the Bisazza backsplash, and that it the thing that turns the design on its ear a bit. However, this design could be done very easily as a "Low" in two ways.
    Conventionally, substitute the mosaic with large black and white tiles, and use a floral fabric similar to that at the Greenbriar, or,
    Unconventionally, use wallpaper or a blown up picture of wallpaper or fabric in a similar floral under glass as a backsplash. The Silestone could easily be substituted with white laminate or solid surface.

I think Dorothy and the others would like the epoxy floor surface, since they liked innovative use of material.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

cawaps (Palm d'Or): I really like this design. I think the ostentatiousness and color palette really captures the essence of some of the Hollywood Regency rooms I saw. The chair in my design is the Louis Ghost Armchair from Design within Reach. It says "injection-molded polycarbonate". In the Holywood Regency rooms I used for inspiration, I saw a lot of mixing of patterns. The blue and white arabesque is a rug. Maybe the scale is off with the floor?

palimpsest: Love the geometrics in the David Hicks. And I really love the Michael Taylor: the beautiful end grain cabinets, the mirrored finishes, and the blue and black are gorgeous.

marcolo: Love both of them, though I think the light one is my favorite of the two. I'm impressed with the way you combined the bold colors. It really seems to fit in with the bold usage of color in some of the Hollywood Regency rooms in the inspiration. I agree my design is much more of a commercial/simple take.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

prickly, I did not at all mean "commercial" as a jab--it's a compliment. I'd like to think these DAT threads influence actual choices people make in the real world and your ideas seem very practical to execute. My two designs were not, um, inexpensive.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Pricklypear, the scale of the rug pattern and the floor tile certainly is part of the issue; I'm not sure how much of that is the scale of the images rather than the scale of the actual materials. I think that I would not have a problem if the rug had a border rather than running the pattern all the way to the edge. And just to reiterate, I like them both, I'm just having trouble visually processing them together--which could be entirely me.

Pal Dorothy Draper: I think you did a good job on capturing the spirit of the inspiration piece, although it needs some ornate gilt something to get the effect of the mirror and chandy in the pic. It's beautiful without it, and I really like the effect of the B/W stripes.

Regarding budgets, I kind of ignored budgets for mine. I don't think Hollywood Regency lends itself to low budget, although I think we've seen some examples of how it can be, as Marcolo said, "commercially viable," which I took to mean as "in reach of at least the upper middle class." I don't, however, think that it is a look that you can do on a really low budget. Maybe the kitchen itself, but not DR/LR where the use of antiques was such a hallmark of the style. Ostentation with money behind it looks sumptuous, ostentation on a shoestring often just looks tacky. Maybe one of the less ostentatious versions...

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

The red and green and black kitchen with the strong patterns really fits the definition of this style, I think. Very feminine yet has that "boys like it too" aspect. The idea of a garage-floor paint in a shiny finish fits too. Flowers just have to be roses--hydrangeas or lilies just aren't the same.

Okay, Pal, now you've got me really thinking. Tile, tile, tile. Suddenly a memory comes to me.

There was a rough-surfaced + irratically smooth glazed wacky textured tile in aprox 3-inch squares that I hauled home at one point in my kitchen search. The one I looked at was mixed pinks but there was another in the display, a yellows & mustards stewpot with some erratic reds in it. Salesman said that people either love it or despise it. It would be a visceral companion to the very very busy marble I put at the top line of photos in my multimetal kitchen. Does this sound at all familiar to you?

Marcolo: Budget? we don't need no stinkin' budgets!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Duquette scheme is based upon the Splashing Water Sconce in the lower right hand corner. I am not sure I could use something so--foo.

Copper hood with verdigris finish
    Cabbage White paint color
    Duquette Coquille Leaf pendant from Remains Lighting
    Ann Sacks Trend Aureo gold leaf glass tile
    Cambria Doradus quartz (has gold veining)
    Kraftmaid cabinets in Cardinal
    Viking Range
    Room and Board Table (based on Duquette's abalone shell and steel tables)
    Louis Philippe chairs from Artistic Frame (he used French chairs with everything)
    Cyanic blue Forbo linoleum
    "Antelope" wool broadloom (Duquette used doeskin rugs)
    Paul Montgomery Studios Fairington pattern hand-painted paper.
    Indochine lacquer knobs
    Duquette "Splashing Water Sconce" as inspiration.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love everyone's idea. The colors, the textures, the
    items in the various boards are amazing. Love them all.

I have been sooooo fearful of posting this. I have been
    dreaming, pretending.. Yes secretly hoping someone else
    would post these items so I could just say to myself,
    "oh someone else did it, just sit back and watch."
    I want to participate but I have neve done one of these.
    Well, I did this in college while studying Fine Art I had
    to take an interior design class but this was sooo many
    years ago.
    But, I must try. I know it will be okay even if I fail.

~boxer

Painted cabinets with black granite top
    ( I know these are not really Hollywood regency but I
    am pretending I have to work with my own kitchen and these
    cabs are similar to my own)

Indoor 4-light Chrome/ Crystal/ Antique Bronze Shade Chandelier from overstock

Venetian Field Tile in Aqua w/ Shell Scroll Border in winter

Modern Faucets Kitchen Chrome from Nobili

Elizabeth Taylor the quintessential poster girl for Hollywood.

Classic chair in plush fabric to match the cabs

Beveled mirror backsplash diamond mosaic

White greyhound statue
    Martha Stewart Dishware

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxer, thanks for playing...it's time you used your stockpile of inspiration pictures :)

I think it looks good. There really isn't a Hollywood Regency style of kitchen cabinet so much, so yours is an interpretation through color--it all works.The patterned floor says Southern CA, without saying Regency so much, but I would definitely have a tile floor like this if I lived in SoCal. It's a nice mix and works well with the palette.

I really like the large china dogs. My parents have a china Dalmatian I made them buy in the early 70s. ( I also wanted the panther).

The pedestal table is awesome, do you know anything about that?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Thanks Palimpest,

I can not imagine what it must be like to do these
    for customers. You must really have to put yourself
    out on a limb of potential rejection.

Do you mean the image or Pedestal tables in general?

Attached is the link. Hope that helps.
    ~boxer

Here is a link that might be useful: The Chair and Table

• harrimann
    12 years ago

White lacquer cabinets with brass campaign hardware,
    black and white marble checkerboard floor,
    verre églomisé backsplash
    white marble countertop (can't think of anything better -- black maybe?)
    Dorothy Draper chandelier

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Palimpsest Tony Duquette: I really like that rug. The spots on the rug look like the reflections off a disco ball to me, which I'm sure was not the effect the designer was going for but amuses me all the same. I like the hood, but the patina seems too rusic for the rest of the design--I think it would work better with something like the blue powdercoat finish on the hood I used in my Audrey post--similar color but a sleeker look.

Boxer Elizabeth Taylor: Congratulations on your first DAT board! I agree with Pal that there's no such thing as a Hollywood Regency cabinet. The style is so eclectic that almost anything goes, and I love the blue. I thought it was interesting how you took something that (judging by the backsplash in the cabinet pic) was probably in a cottage-style kitchen, and you completely transformed it into Hollywood glamour. I especially love how Liz's shadows pick up the turquoise from the cabinets.

mcmjilly: I love the cabinets with the brass bindings, and how it echos the brass on the range and hood. The backsplash is very cool and I think really fits the style.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

thanks for this thread.....

:)

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Oh this is killing me that I don't have time to play!!! I do have idea's in my head but no time to look for the stuff. In my head I'm designing a budget-ish Hollywood R look that most could afford.

Pricklypear, I really like what you put together.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mcmjilly, where did you find the verre eglomise backsplash?

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I found it here:

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash

• sochi
    12 years ago

Wow, what fun kitchens! Boxerpups, welcome! I love your kitchen. The colour is fantastic, as are the other elements. I love love love that round table and with the fab chairs. I couldn't find a reference to who makes that table. Probably costs $20k, so best I don't know.

Mcmjilly, I wasn't sure about the floor until I saw it was marble. Cool back plash.

Pricklypear, I love your cabinets, they are perfect. Love the blue splash too. Do you have two floor tiles there? Or is one a rug? I can't picture
    them together.

Cawaps, Hepburn. Great credenza and hood. The kitchen somehow seems more Liz Taylor than Hepburn to me though.

Marcolo, I think your dark kitchen is fabulous. IRL, could you really get away with pairing the tile and paper backsplash as you did?

Florantha, I'm not sold on the cork flooring in this kitchen, but the colours are certainly great together. The cabs are great, as is that fabric, love it. I too prefer your second chair choice.

Cawaps, ibex. What can I say? I've always loved ibex and you've given them quite the space. Wow. I think I like the dining area better than the kitchen. Maybe too much black for me in the board? Might be fine IRL though.

Pal, all your kitchens are cohesive, lovely and interesting. I don't know a single thing about any of the designers you reference, but I'm trying to pick a favourite, which one I might choose if presented with these options. Hicks, too vanilla. Taylor, love, especially the backsplash and chairs. Haines, love too. Draper, um, no. The mosaic turned me off and the rest doesn't excite me too much. Duquette, very cool. Comes down to Taylor and Haines for me. The colour in Haines is turning my head, but I think I might prefer the individual elements in Taylor. But I think I have to go with Haines. Thanks for all these great boards, so fun and interesting to go through.

• sochi
    12 years ago

Cawaps, I think you're right on about blue kitchens and coloured appliances. I have no doubt that we are ahead of the curve! ;)

Mcmjilly, I like that backsplash even more now seeing the larger photo. Great choice.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm getting caught up too, with some comments. I truly have been looking and studying, although I haven't made myself find the time to try a board.

Pal, David Hicks. Very elegant and refined. The chair fits beautifully, but it's an example of the parts of HR that seem a little too "buttoned down" for my inelegant background. I do like the geometric pattern of the wallpaper and backsplash so maybe I'm not completely hopeless. I suspect if this feels too subdued for me it's probably because I lack the understanding/appreciation of some of the "old school" HR design elements.

Pal, Michael Taylor. I like the texture provided by the large scale spotting on the antique mirror backsplash, combined with the cabinets and round black pulls. I'd never have found these materials and textures in a million years (lacquered goatskin?) but I think I'd like this room a lot, and I'd choose this over the David Hicks kitchen.

Pal, William Haines. It's so interesting to me that HR also encompasses the more simple and angular lines of many of these elements. The Kyle Bunting rug would be like rich jewelry on that floor. (I'm still trying to grasp the price of those leather pulls.) This does seem restrained, as you said, but the lovely rich colors would have me choose this one over the David Hicks kitchen.

Pal, Dorothy Draper. My own reaction to this room has been interesting. I looked up the Bisazza tile to check the scale, and boy, those are gargantuan roses. I can appreciate how it works in this room, in this style, but my first thought was, maybe Dorothy and I are not kindred spirits. But when I visualized the more conventional substitutions you provided, to eliminate the high cost of the Springrose mosaic, I realized I didn't find the remaining elements to be nearly as interesting, without that exact same backsplash. So, I've come full circle, and it has grown on me as I consider it. I find the combination of the very expensive backsplash with the epoxy garage paint very appealing. Now I want to go read more about Dorothy Draper.

Pal, Tony Duquette. Since you're moving from most restrained to least restrained, I may have reached the limit of my (newbie) comfort as we enter Tony's zone. But I liked this room better after I visualized it with the much larger amount of red it would have, in a real kitchen. I thought the verdigris finish on the hood was overly bright, at first, but the turquoise blue in the Duquette inspiration sconce is also very vibrant, so maybe not. I think the antelope broadloom would be beautiful with the gold leaf tiles and the Cambria Doradus quartz (which would be a lot more prominent in a real room, too.)

Cawaps, Palm d'Or. Finally, mystery solved for me (with my limited imagination about such things) about how someone might use one of those cool Ibex tables. I think the gold marble floor, in real room size proportions, would be a nice foil for the very bold and rich colors.

Cawaps, Audrey Hepburn. That amazing range hood is a terrific center piece for this room. I'm not sure about the sparkliness of the recycled glass countertop against what I perceive as sparkly backsplash tile, but I think it's right for HR and just a stretch for my own stodgy comfort level. I love the orange Hepburn print against the teal wallpaper. The ostrich egg lamps are really interesting and visually striking against the deep blue. I think the Smoky Glimmer floor tile works well too.

Florantha, silver gold stainless. I love this color palette. Although your first chair choice is something I'd probably prefer to live with, I agree your second silver chair probably fits the HR style better, and would work well with your table. I had the same question that Cawaps did about the similar pattern/scale of the floor and the countertops, but I also agree it might work fine in a real life setting (could just be one of those board issues that happens with the little swatches we deal with.) Both are beautiful materials. Great range hood and metal detailing on the cabinets. I liked the light fixtures very much, too. Your dark table would be striking on that rug.

I'm glad you pointed out the inclusion of animal prints as a feature of Hollywood Regency. This really is a fun mixture of so many elements; a lot more freeing, in many ways, than I had expected it to be. Your links on the background info thread have been a very fun and educational tour for me, thanks so much for doing the work of finding and posting those.

Marcolo, light version. What a very pretty kitchen. The metal furniture legs on the cabinets are a wonderful tie-in to the range hood and sink. So very cohesive in every detail. This thread (and this kitchen especially) are making me really like gold and brassy tones much more than I thought possible. On a technical note, I have no idea how you made that cool little inset in the tile over the range, nice touch. I like how the gilt curves in the Bisazza backsplash tiles are echoed by the gilt curves in the wheat sheaf table, and by the curves in the cabinet detail.

Marcolo, dark version, dramatic and beautiful. I agree that the contrasting floor is wonderful with the saturated color of the cabinets and Thibault wallpaper. The range hood is a wonderful complement to the tops of the Draper curios and the detail on top of the window over the sink. I had no problem visualizing more delicate brass grilles on the cabinets, and those would be beautiful with the wallpaper. I tried to find a larger picture of the Thibault wallpaper on their website, but I think the birds would be very pleasing with the floral elements in the chairs and Chinese rug. I have a hard time choosing a favorite between your two boards, but this one probably wins, because I love the drama.

Pricklypearcactus, I agree, a very pretty kitchen. I like your choices of strong patterns and think most work together very well. Love the punch of very vibrant icy blue in the glass backsplash tiles. I think the small specks/sparkles in your shiny black counters are a nice complement to the bolder geometric patterns in the room. Being a wee bit uncomfortable with outrageously priced kitchens, I also like that your design might be within the reach of a broader group of folks who like the style. (I'm not sure why I pay any attention to this in a thread where all the rooms are make-believe, force of habit from real life, I guess.)

Boxerpups, I'm so glad to see you jump in to this thread! And I was happy to see your approach about the cabinets, since that's my tendency too, with any of these threads, to see how I might tie it in with my own reality. I think all of your elements work beautifully together. I think the clean lines of the Modern Faucet would be striking against the mirrored backsplash, and I like how you've combined the modern elements of the poster, faucet, and pedestal table with the more traditional elements, especially the tile floor. (If it helps any, my first board was by far the scariest for me, and it wasn't nearly as successful as yours.) I hope you find the time to play again.

Mcmjilly, beautiful backsplash, and thank you for the source information. Architectural Digest has an article about the same artist: Miriam Ellner and her Verre Eglomise Works; what amazing work, and what an astonishing focal point that would be for a Hollywood Regency kitchen! Great find. I also think black countertops would very work well with your scheme.

Thanks to everyone for all the great work in this thread. I've learned so much, as always.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is generally a method behind my madness:)

Dorothy Draper did a lot of large commercial spaces, and even overscaled her designs in these rooms. The "small" version of one of her chandeliers still made today is 24" x 24"--and $7000.000. (And it's only a 2 bulb fixture)

Duquette was a pretty crazy designer, and he wore kimono like jackets and silk skullcaps toward the end of his life. He was a jewelry and set designer as well and many of his lamps looked like gigantic pieces of jewelry. He used lots of weathered statuary and architectural elements and gardeny things, and this is why I picked a weathered range hood.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

boxerpups: Your design is beautiful. The colors and especially those cabinets are beautiful. What would do on the walls? Paint (what color)? Wallpaper?

mcmjilly: I love the rich gold tones with the crisp black and white. Very well done.

cawaps & sochi: I can certainly see what you mean about the rug. I still like it, but I agree a border would be better, and maybe a different patten entirely. Perhaps a more formal/traditional rug or smaller pattern with a border.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks, Pal.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cross posted:

I make weird connections sometimes, but the eglomise backsplash reminds me of a very high end version of this:

• cawaps
    12 years ago

That's funny, Pal. I do see the resemblance, more to some of the close-up pics on Mudhouse's link than to mcmjilly's board. My mom still has Textolite counters in her kitchens, in a white/gold/silver pattern not too different than what you posted (Wood White Heyday).

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Ha! I actually considered putting glitter-infused laminate in my design. I think the low end eglomise backsplash would be those adhesive mottled gold mirrored squares that were popular in the 1970s. Do you think the gold glittery stuff from then was meant to evoke sense of HR? This was the same era when little girls coveted mass-produced French provencal style canopy beds (with gold accents), and I do think that's a HR influence gone wrong.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Check out the link below for a current manufacturer of veined and eglomise glass.

My sisters had that furniture. One had the ivory-gold Louis XV:
    {{gwi:1543744}}

The other had the Grey and Blue Louis XVI:
    {{gwi:1543745}}

I still like the grey and blue, and I may take it someday if I have room :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jean de Merry Mirror Finishes

• harrimann
    12 years ago

(I confess that I have a piece of 1930s era ivory and gilt Louis XVI style furniture in my house - but no canopies!)

Thanks for the link Palimpsest. It's interesting that when you first posed this challenge, I thought I was incapable of coming up with something interesting since it isn't my favorite style. Now that I've studied up on HR and have looked at a couple thousand images, I find that it is growing on me.

I think these threads are very useful to those of us who are not designers because often what we think we like is really what we are most used to seeing in movies, TV, magazines, etc. Looking through these threads might actually convert someone to a kitchen style other than the "one true kitchen".

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Practically every period or style starts out as one thing, evolves, and then gets distilled into a particular look that is kind of a visual shorthand. It can be such a snapshot that you people can say "love it" or "hate it" based upon a few earmarks. But I don't think the best examples of most periods or styles are that simple.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Marmoleum scarlet
    Glossy white cabinets (photo from lasvegas.backpage.com)
    Bisazza coral mosaic
    Caesarstone Organic White
    Mini Isla Aqua Mini Pendant, LampsPlus
    Worlds Away Ava White Buffet from Zinc Door
    Swedish Rya rug, 1960s from 1stDibs
    1950s Reeded dining table bases with glass top, 1stDibs
    Bastide French Country Louis XV Dining Chair, French Oak & Taupe, FrenchDressing.com.au
    Japanese blue ground k'oss-u, late 18th/early 19th century, 1stDibs
    1980s Red Muano Glass Chandelier, 1stDibs
    Pair of mid-century stacked lucite table lamps, 1stDibs
    Aqua Interlace Giclee Drum Shade, everylampshade.com
    Cubix white wallpaper, GrahamBrown.com

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Pal: Can you give me any more info on the large ring pull from Hardware Hut that you posted (the brass one in your Dorthy Draper kitchen)? We are re-doing our master BR and I am learning here that I am using many HR elements, and those ring pulls would be perfect for the furniture we are having built, but I can't find them on the hardware hut website. Thanks!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, that's because they are P. E. Guerin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Pull 71800

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Thanks, pal! I'm not seeing any pricing with a quick search, and I'm guessing it's 'if you have to ask' expensive...

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think PE Guerin is almost made to order. (and expensive) but it might be worth looking into if you don't need a lot of pulls.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

@Mudhouse, you are too kind, Thank you.

@prickleypear, I have no idea. I am thinking something
    white with a hint of color that would tie the purple
    of Elizatbeth taylor. By the way I love your design.
    Feeling the blue and white elegance all the way.

@Sochi, Thank you. Your words are sweet. Whenever I think
    of true design I imagine your kitchen. A work of Art.

@Palimpest.
    Thanks for putting this together. I am learning so much.
    And the images of your sister's stuff. Very cool indeed.

@Marcolo you said it beautifully.
    Cawaps Liberace-esque exuberance. I love Cawaps design!!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is two weeks, so we should probably be looking forward to the introduction of the next topic.

I I like the coral kitchen. The 2-color palette is very good.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

When we were discussing next topics on the Rustic modern thread, there was a lot of support for Steampunk, but I think we decided to do it after the one we're discussing now, to give people more time to think about it and collect images.

There was some interest in yellow kitchens (which I added to the list), pimping a real MLS listing kitchen, and then a bunch of thing that got one vote each. (If I counted right).

I'm most keen to do either commercial kitchen/restaurant supply or the fashion-inspired one (we've seen a number of individual fashion-inspired kitchens on other threads; I thought they were both interesting and successful: menswear on the pink thread; Ann Boleyn on the Tudor thread; a flapper dress on the 1920s thread).

Here's the list:

Materials
    Knotty pine
    Metal cabinetry
    Interesting tile (we can do this one over and over)
    Vetrazzo
    Marmoleum graphic series
    Back-painted glass
    Commercial Kitchens/Restaurant Supply
    Avocado or harvest gold appliances

Defining the Home
    Spanish Colonial Revival
    Craftsman
    Prarie School
    1930s
    1940s
    1950s
    1960s
    1970s
    Pimp this kitchen (choose home/kitchen from real estate listing)
    Beach House
    Mash-up house (what do you do with a house that is already a mash-up of styles, like a Mission-style Queen Anne)

Theme/Decorating Styles
    Steampunk
    Eclectic
    Starting from clothing fashions as your inspiration pic, design a kitchen that suits the era/mood/style
    Scandinavian
    Yellow kitchen

Budget/Supply restrictions
    $10K budget
    Ikea kitchen (all Ikea?)
    Mail order kitchen
    Home Depot kitchen
    Architectural salvage/upcycle/recycle

Define the People
    Mid-life crisis bachelor (or cougar) pad
    Rabid sports fan wants to decorate in team colors

Presentation Strategies that Can Be Combined with Other Choices
    This/Not That (Good taste/bad taste, works/doesn't work)
    High/Low (same look, different budgets)

What we have done so far:
    1) Apple Jasper
    2) Colonial Revived
    3) 1920's Kitchens and All That Jazz
    4) Formica Patterns are Coooool!
    5) Neo-Tuscan/TuscAmerican
    6) I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen, But...
    7) Victorian/Queen Anne
    8) Animal 'Prints'
    9) Keeping the Golden Oak
    10) Tarting Up a Tudor (posted as #9)
    11) Pink for the Present Day
    12) 1960s tract house
    13) French Country
    14) Rustic Modern
    15) Hollywood Regency

• sochi
    12 years ago

How do people like how this DAT was arranged?

I like that the topic was kept at the top always on the 'conversations' page (given there is no other traffic really) - but I fear that many casual GW visitors might miss the thread given that it isn't on the main kitchen forum. Pros and cons I guess.

My main concern involves the separating of the comments and ideas on the subject design on one thread, and the boards on another. In the end both threads may be less interesting without the addition of the conversation or the boards.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

While I liked that the thread stayed at the top over here, I would vote for putting it back on the main forum. I think having it over here cuts down on foot traffic, and makes it harder to get new participation.

But I did like having the preview thread, and putting the "about the style" discussion there. It helps with the length of the thread, and should help a bit with the bandwidth issue.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I really liked the hiatus between topic selection/background and design posting. Personally, I preferred having the DAT thread in Discussions because I rarely come over to Conversations. Since a thread was created and continually bumped over in Discussions, I wasn't really clear on the purpose of putting the actual DAT designs in Conversations, but maybe someone can explain and convince me otherwise.

There are so many topics that look fun, but here are some of my favorites.
    - Steampunk
    - Yellow
    - Spanish Colonial Revival
    - Beach House

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it may make more sense to put the actual Design thread back in the Discussions. If need be it can be bumped up rather than bumping up a thread to direct people to the Conversations.

That way there will be two threads. The "about" or "background" thread that lays out the parameters, and the project thread itself. There were three active threads for this one project and it would probably be easiest if the about thread was active until the project thread was started and then the project thread took over.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I'm okay with that, with a link in the first post of the project thread, back to the "about" thread.

Is anyone else going to vote on next topics?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have a particular vote: I had started looking at Steampunk stuff at the same time as Hollywood Regency, although I know that's not next.

Anything is okay with me.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I agree with the two-thread approach, both over in Discussions.

I want to write up the Steampunk introduction, and planned to do it next (remember that last discussion?) However, this is turning into a heck of a week and I'd rather we do a different topic for now, launched by whomever.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Sorry, Marcolo, I must have misunderstood your post on the Rusic Modern thread when we were discussing next topics. I thought there were going to be two threads (about a month) between Rustic Modern and Steampunk. But it sounds like that is what you're suggesting now, regardless of what you said before, is that right? Something other than Steampunk, then Steampunk?

Yellow had at least a couple votes, and so did a real MLS listing. I'm okay with either. Yellow would probably be less work to introduce.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think MLS may take a lot of work because we will have to introduce several and pick one for the project.

Yellow kitchens as a topic does not really need much introduction. The kitchen design should be predominately yellow, I suppose, with interpretation and application open ended.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Yep, cawaps, it all comes out in the wash. Yellow next? I agree it doesn't need introduction, but it is nice to show a few inspiration pics anyway if someone has time.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

If nobody has any other votes, I can try to find a few examples and post an Announcing/About yellow kitchens thread by this evening.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

That sounds great to me, cawaps. You might show a mix of different kinds of yellow kitchens--mod, farmhouse or whatever. See how I like to volunteer you to do work? LOL.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

I think I am going to find this one kinda tough.

I like the color yellow in nature, but I find it hard to work with as the primary color in the palette. It's tough to light artificially, for one. I do like some yellow shades a lot but some I dislike intensely.

I think this might be one of my bad synesthesia shades. I can't stand to look at it in certain combinations of other colors, and it is one of my migraine colors.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Remember that by the rules of these, you'd need to use yellow on at least one major element but it doesn't necessarily have to be the dominant color (like my purple kitchen on the pink thread). And it can be anywhere from saffron to mustard to butter. Hopefully there's some yellow real estate you can work with. That won't help you with other people's boards, though...I'll try to avoid day-glo yellow with kelly green this time.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll be fine :)

It's not the intensity, usually, it's combinations, and some of these include very pale yellows. It's hard to explain, and there are a couple of currently popular schemes I find very unpleasant. I am sure they are fine, but they disturb me in some weird taste-smell way. Sorta.