Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emagineer

Bill Vincent Thread

emagineer
17 years ago

I want a "Bill Vincent" Thread. Not only because he is one of the good guys here with patience that separates noone one...new, old, with dumb questions, with the same question he answered a dozen times, etc. But also because he is so has such great information and I'd love to have his pearls of wisdom found in one place.

I haven't thought far enough ahead for a thread name, nor if this is practical. But keep wanting to ask him questions which I know he will answer, but are probably somewhere else and don't want to take advantage. I usually find his responses with a search...but I know there is a bunch I'm missing.

This is also to say thanks "Bill" for your being so much a part of these forums, taking time to answer the most simple questions as well as the indepth....and making me feel that any question is as important as another.

Comments (32)

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

Here, here! I second that!

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellllloooooow....which nobody can deny!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Don't be calling me "Jolly"!! :-)

Thank you very much for the compliments. As I told Julie on the phone tonight, though-- It's not completely selfless. There are alot of people out there that call themselves tile installers, and because of them, there are alot of homeowners who blame the tile for faulty installations rather than the installer, of figure it's too risky trying to find a good installer, so they co with a "safer" finish. That's destroying an industry that I've grown up with literally since I was a toddler, not to mention my livelihood.

As for the questions, I don't mind it at all. I've heard alot of guys on forums-- even this one-- complain when people ask the same question over and over. My response is if you don't like it, don't answer! I don't have a problem with it, though, because I know that to each person coming into the forums, their question is original TO THEM. Some will be fine doing a search and locating the information on their own. But for those coming to a forum, those people are few and far between. They could get that by doing research on reference sites. Someone coming to a forum is here because they want a personal answer to their personal (to THEM) question, and that's what I'm here for.

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

That's why we think you are a great guy! I really enjoy reading your posts and follow ups to others' posts.

Based on one of your responses to a recent poster (you mentioned that Mongo is "the glass tile guy"), I emailed Mongo with some glass tile installation questions a couple of weeks ago. He couldn't have been nicer, or more helpful. I have you to thank for pointing me in his direction Bill. So, thank you!!!!

• emagineer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill...

I usually do a search on your name for tile info. Your response to new members is the patience I mentioned. There have been times I will post and get nothing....it makes me feel stupid. I rarely start a post, which was one of the reasons I decided to write you personally. Doing this, however, keeps important pieces of information from being shared with the board.

Am pleased to know my ongoing choice of using tile supports your industry. I love the visual of tile, there is a texture which appeals. I'd be in a straw bale house if it were possible, just to have the natural textured walls.

Still go with tile countertops, keeping them clean never seemd to be the problem most have discussed. In one kitchen I added a butcher block section, this became more of a maintenance issue than any tile counter installed. Anything we have requires maintenance and think whatever is used has unique quirks for such.

A bit of apology for the typing mistakes in original post....it was a tad early and obviously I didn't double check my writing.

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

This is really weird, I was just thinking of posting this very thread. I just can't believe how helpful and patient Bill is to everyone. I think about him working all day, and then coming home and helping us all with our problems. Bill, when do you rest? I hope your wife isn't too lonely.
    Bill you are one in a million and we appreciate you beyond words.
    Mongo, I would not want to leave you out of this special thanks. You are such a help to all of us.
    I am hoping to go to the tile show in April and meet the famous Bill V. in person.
    Thank you both for all you've done for us.
    Donna

• caflowerluver
    17 years ago

Thank you Bill for answering all my questions in the past. Your answers have always been helpful.
    Clare

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Donna-- If you go, Check over to the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation Booth (right by the Tile Council of North America Booth). Dave Gobis'll have a pretty good idea if I'm around at that particular time or not. :-)

Thank you very much, everyone. As for Kathleen, especailly lately, she's getting ready to put together a sales table for her OWN convention about 2 weeks after mine, down in Orlando, so she's doing just fine. :-)

• shequit
    17 years ago

I am with you all. Thank you, Bill, for all of your input. You are a special person! You have answered many of my "mind questions" before I even would post them. Kudos!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

shequit-- Didn't you know-- I'm psychic, as well!! :-)

Donna-- If you go, Check over to the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation Booth (right by the Tile Council of North America Booth). Dave Gobis'll have a pretty good idea if I'm around at that particular time or not.

I almost forgot-- you'll also most likely get a chance to meet stonegirl (Adriana) and her husband (Casper) there, as well!

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

Where is this tile show going to be held?

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Chicago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coverings Website

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

Bill,
    I'm really excited to go to the coverings show. I already registered. The only problem is my sister is going to be in town that week. I'll have to see what day I can get away. Will you be there everyday? I would hate to miss you?
    Donna

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I'm not sure just yet-- I've got to get in touch with my sister (she's also in the business-- a project manager for a big commercial firm from White Plains, N.Y.) I have a feeling, though, that we'll be there from wednesday till friday.

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Bill,

I do owe you a whopping debt of thanks! Sorry to have been so boorish not to follow-up sooner! (Just trying to keep one jump ahead of contractors renewed availability in planning and ordering!)

Your taking the time to post my BR pix on the john bridges forum really enabled me to get my capenters to take the time needed to consider your suggestions more seriously than if I had just been trying to explain things to them.

I got 2 out of the 3 points conceded (they did apply kerdi after leveling and building up the floor and they will use the urethane caulk) - as well as some misunderstandings with what they were planning cleared up. I will send a pix to you via email of the work so far. The tile goes in this Friday.

You have really been a friend to this community.

Blessings!

Julie

• justadncr
    17 years ago

I want to thank you also Bill. I havent asked many questions but did many many searches that you had a big part in helping someone.
    i have radiant heat so all of our 1000sf remodel is tile as well as two bathrooms. I love love love it and the warm tile floors are to die for!!! Thank you again.

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

This is my first time over on the Conversation side - I spent a lot of time on the discussion side while I was remodeling our kitchen. Bill was always such a wonderful help, whether he was answering a specific question I had, or if I was just reading his postings to others. He is consistently knowledgeable and generous with his help and ideas. Thanks, Bill!

• igloochic
    17 years ago

I've just discovered Bill :) and since I've invested far more than any idiot should in tiles (which are sitting in the garage waiting for a contractor) I would guess I'll be asking questions he will probably answer, so in advance, thank you!

I was a "guru" on another website (government compliance) and loved the idea of the website guru. We had a special forum called "ask a guru" which was then broken down by our specialties. We volunteered to be guru's and most of us did it for the same reason bill mentions, because it was good for the profession. That type of area is always nice to find in any specialty web site when possible.

So bill...bullnose or miter? :p (Kidding...well for now anyhoo)!!!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I'll answer, anyway-- I prefer bullnose, but I'll miter if necessary. :-)

Matter of fact, Now would be a good time to take pics off my camera-- I just finished a master bath where I had to do BOTH-- bullnose for the field tile and miters for the accent.

and since I've invested far more than any idiot should in tiles

I'm sure you've got a long way to go. :-) I can tell you a story where someone put over 30 THOUSAND dollars worth of new tile into a dumpster because she decided it was no good, and didn't want anyone else stuck with that "garbage"!

• partst
    17 years ago

When someone asks me if I will be doing any tile, sorry Bill I'm not, I always tell them if I were I would have Bill from Maine do it. When they ask why I tell the them how amazing his work is. What a great guy he is and one of his passions is bass fishing and I figure if I bought the plain ticket, hotel room, and gave him the use of our boat that's docked on Lake Isabella he just might give me a good price on the tile job.

Have you bought that new bass boat yet??

• igloochic
    17 years ago

Bill I'll trade you the fishing trip of a lifetime in Alaska for a little (ok a lot of) tile work? Busy????? :) I'm gonna want bullnose and miters...

And Bill...where's that dumpster? I could save a bit if the stuff she tossed was anything from tan to chocolate brown....

• redbazel
    17 years ago

Hey! I'll come to this party. Somebody steer me to the buffet and then I'll go join the crowd listening to Bill as he expounds on the folly of thinking you can really find the exact right grout color.

By the way, the bar's out of ice.

Red

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Igloochic-- it was all saltillo terra cotta tile, still boxed in the crates-- almost 17 THOUSAND square feet.

partst-- Not yet. As soon as it warms up, I'm going to finish what I started this past summer. I replaced the rear fishing deck and carpeting on the boat I have now, and I'm going to replace the front deck, as well as carpet it and the cockpit. Then it'll go up for sale, and once it's sold, I'll see about getting my next boat.

The part I've done so far:

This'll give you an idea of what's left:

Red-- c'mon up here-- there's plenty of it on the lakes.

BUT NOT FOR LONG!! :-)

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Now Bill,

You should've backed a truck up to that dumpster (if you knew in time)and salvaged the saltillo!

This person's wastefulness illustrates why rich people are seldom rich. BTW, EVERBODY! - I have seen an ad in Boston, and I'm sure there must be places elsewhere where you can donate building materials for places like Habitat for Humanity.

Good lucking boat, there, but no tiles on it? :-(

Julie

• partst
    17 years ago

The boat looks great. You might want to keep it when it's all done.

It's been in the 80s here all week. The lake is like a mirror but the annual fishing derby is in 2 week so it will be windy and cold again. This happen every year. We have a few week of really nice weather and the week of the derby it rains, snows or just blows like a hurricane. Someone actually got the 10 grand fish last year so this year they are tagging 2 fish with a 10 grand tag. It's a huge weekend for our little valley

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

You should've backed a truck up to that dumpster (if you knew in time)and salvaged the saltillo!

Knew in timeAs for tile on the boat, there's a GC in the club, whose master bath I've talked about a few times in the bathroom forum-- he's the one that wants the plasma screen tv at the end of a hot tub-- he said the same thing-- I oughta do the decks in blue pearl. :-)

partst-- Once the summer starts, my tournaments are just about every other weekend, and you can bet that once my boat's sold, it'll be a matter of days before there's another one in my driveway. :-)

This is more the kind of thing I'm looking for:

• paulines
    17 years ago

She's a beaut, Bill!

• igloochic
    17 years ago

Billy Billy Billy....you just have to come up to Alaska and go fishing! (And tile my entryway, powder room, small bath, and master suite) :oP

And bring the wife :) It sounds like she and I could have fun while ya'll toss flies at fishies (or whatever you do) :)

I actually enjoy fishing once or twice a year for King Salmon and Silvers. The first time I went fishing here I caught a halibut...280lbs or so of halibut (you really don't want to catch a fish that big). I hauled that pile of cardboard up into the boat (ok lets be honest...WE (everyone on the boat) hauled that thing in. Not knowing how horrible it would be to be stuck with that much halibut I was pretty proud, but when I turned around the boat captain had a pistol out!!!! I was a little worried he was upset I caught the biggest fish...but he leaned down and shot the poor darling right in the head! Fishing was never the same for me! (and thank god the foodbank wanted that stupid fish! It was WAAAAAAA too much halibut, and the big ones aren't good for much more than soup!)

Have you ever caught a fish so big you have to shoot it????? Come on bill....My tile and those fish are waiting (heh heh)

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I've clobbered a few bluefish over the noggen with a club before, but no, never shot a fish!

As for the Alaska trip, that DOES sound enticing. It's been a dream of mine to fish Alaska. But thanks anyway. If I head up that way, tile is going to be the very LAST thing on my mind!

• igloochic
    17 years ago

Dagnabbit...well you can't blame me for trying to catch a good tile guy :p Contractors of any sort are hard to find around here! (ANd you can never get ANYTHING done during fishing season) :o)

• emagineer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jeesh...send Bill to Alaska and "do not" make him work. Maybe you can let him just check the tile job and get after the installer if it is wrong.

Go to Alaska Bill....and make Igloo let you stay at his place. The people there are fun, fun, fun. The catch beyond tasty.

• cooperbailey
    17 years ago

I enjoy reading Bill's advice, even though I am not into tile!! I do enjoy looking at evryones designs and colors however. Fishermen are good people! Sue

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21