quiltdog_gw

Do you garden?

quiltdog
17 years ago

Can you share pictures of your garden?

Comments (8)

• DYH
    17 years ago

Yes! I have been working on putting order to this photo collection so that it makes sense with walking through the gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden tour

• DYH
    17 years ago

I should mention that some photos were taken in the summer, some in fall; some were taken before the shrub garden that is outside the fence (planted in Oct 06). All of this was started in September 2005 when we moved into our new house. Passive solar facing south.

• uxorial
    17 years ago

Which one would you like a picture of? The raised-bed veggie garden, edible flowers garden, herb garden, moon garden, cutting flowers garden, drought-tolerant perennials? I'm currently working on a design for a container garden of tropical plants for our new deck. Next up will be the Japanese garden by the front entry.

I tend to photograph individual plants rather than entire flower beds, so I don't have good photos of most of my gardens. Here's one of the edible flowers bed:

{{gwi:1543282}}

• quiltdog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for sharing! Beautiful gardens! When will spring come so we can garden more?

I love gardening. Wish I had more time for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiltdog's Garden Tour

• DYH
    17 years ago

uxorial: yummy flower bed! I cook a lot, but I've not ventured beyond lavender in my cooking. How do you use your flowers in food? Do you have a problem with deer? I do!

quiltdog: I'm making my wish list for spring, how about you? I see you are also into paths and outdoor rooms.

• uxorial
    17 years ago

I mostly use the nasturtium flowers in salads. I've found that some flowers, even though they're edible, just don't taste very good to me. Pansies and johnny-jump-ups look pretty on cupcakes. I've frozen borage flowers in ice cubes, just for the look. Borage flowers taste faintly of cucumber; the leaves have a stronger flavor, but are too "hairy." I don't eat the rose petals or lavender flowers very much--they just taste too floral to me. I eat the daylilies right off the plant as I'm wandering around the garden. Marigolds are also edible, but they don't taste very good (the marigolds and nasturtiums weren't blooming yet when this photo was taken, and the tulips were gone).

We do have lots of deer on our property, but now that we have a big dog that is off-leash all the time, the deer only come around at night. Once in a while they will browse on my roses and strawberries. I used to try to deter them various ways, but I don't bother any more. We let them eat all the apples they want, as we are overrun!

• shequit
    17 years ago

uxorial - what is your zone? your garden is amazing and inspiring to me. After spending a year on kitchen/house reno, I can't wait to do some gardening.

• uxorial
    17 years ago

We are in zone 8, but our summers are very dry unlike some other zone 8 areas (such as Texas and Florida), and our growing season is relatively short. I've found that the limiting factor is the chilly nights. Even though it may get up to 90 during the day in July or August, the night temperature will still fall below 65, especially in the valley where my house and gardens are. It's nice for sleeping, but not so nice for some of the tropical plants I want to grow.