Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seekingadvice

My first puppy! What might she be?

seekingadvice
18 years ago

Other than adorable, of course :) I adopted her on Monday from the Humane Society. They thought she was a Beagle/Bassett mix, but I am not convinced about the Bassett part. It doesn't matter to me what she might have in her, but I'm still curious. Any guesses? She's 8-10 weeks old and black and white. She's such a little love!!

Here she is with my dd and striking a pensive pose.

Comments (61)

• paigect
    18 years ago

Adorable! And she's certainly striking quite the Bassett pose in that last pic. I'm intrigued by pauline's suggesting of Bassett/Springer and inclined to agree.

As for potty training, here was my method:

Decide on a command for "potty". You can use potty, or pee pee, or "business" (my preference), or whatever you can stand to say in front of your neighbors. Take her out every 1/2 hour (I know) when you're home. Wait until you catch her going, and then say "good potty!" while she's going, and keep saying it until and just after she finishes. When she's done, give her a really, really delicious treat and make a huge deal with the "good potty!" stuff. Liver treats work well for this. Before long, she'll figure out what potty means and she may even learn to do it on command.

At this age, she should only be loose in the house when she is being directly supervised. You can either keep her tethered to you on a long leash, or keep her in the crate when you can't be watching her. When she goes in the house, only discipline her if you catch her in the act. Otherwise she has no idea what you're talking about. The best thing to do is make a really loud noise to interrupt the act. If she startles, she might stop in the process. Then get her outside pronto, and follow the procedure above when she goes. If you don't catch her in the act, just clean it up, but make sure not to clean it up in front of her.

If you crate train (I did and swear by it), make sure her crate is only big enough for her to turn around and lie down. No extra room. Sounds mean, but if you leave any extra room she will convert it into the bathroom. And no plushies in there with her, or padding or blankets or anything absorbent, until she has been trained for a few months. They like to go on absorbent stuff.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Oh, and you will probably have to get up in the night with her for awhile. Sort of like having a newborn! Puppies that little can't reasonably make it more than 4 or 5 hours.

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Paige, thank you so much! That all makes a lot of sense. She has been such a good pup about going when I take her outside, but I didn't think of using the potty term while praising her in the act of going - that is great advice! I've been giving her little bites of some soft chewy things my dh got - just ran and looked and they're called Snausages. Are those ok?

I still have to buy a crate. I have been using an upside down laundry basket with a big box of Tide on top to keep it in place. I have it in the laundry room on travertine so I've had towels underneath for her to sleep on. She actually sleeps all night without going on the towels, but this morning the poor little thing was about to pop when I let her out and she immediately peed all over the floor. Lesson learned (for me!). My dh doesn't like the idea of the crate but I think it makes a lot of sense.

We have been closing off all but the living room and kitchen but haven't otherwise confined her. Do you think that's ok? I did observe early on that she headed straight for the carpet (bedrooms/hall) to go which is why we closed those areas off. Much easier to clean up the hardwood.

I am learning so much from you guys! Thanks a million. Tonight we enjoyed watching her lying on her back and barking at her feet up in the air. Speaking of which, here is a picture of her enjoying the sunshine today. She just loved lying on her back in the grass and leaves.

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Springer! That's it! That was the other one I was thinking of, with the mottled coloration. I agree w/Pauline.

I think you have one happy, thankful junior pack member there. Congratulations.

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll have to see what a Springer looks like. My friend has a Border Collie and the coloring is identical - 4 white legs with black spots, black body, white tip on tail and nose, white collar. She doesn't really look like my friend's dog, but maybe she has Border Collie in the mix :)

• paigect
    18 years ago

seeking, can I just say that I want to come lay in your yard on the grass in the sun and watch that beautiful river? Let me know if you ever need a dogsitter!

• fairegold
    18 years ago

Good point about a BC... but those are definately hound ears!

I love the picture of puppy rolling in the grass. Ahhhhh, looks like heaven!

• frmrwoodrlndr
    18 years ago

Our dogs learned to go to the command "hurry up" - not too embarrassing when you're out and about.

Yes, crate training makes house training SO much easier, plus it helps when traveling, when the dog needs to be kept inactive for convalescence, and, for example, when you have workmen in and out of the house and you need to keep the dog safely cooped up. There's all kinds of convincing literature on this subject that you and your husband might like to read.

Here is a link that might be useful: just one article on crate training

• paulines
    18 years ago

Cheri,
    Do you think your little girl might have some doxie in her also? The more I look at her pictures, the more her sweet face reminds me of my doxie. So perhaps she's a Doxie/Springer mix with a dash of Bassett - lol?

Hey, it looks as if your backyard has dried out???, thank goodness.

• fairegold
    18 years ago

WHen you buy a crate, and you WILL buy a crate, be sure to get one that will fit the pup when she is full-sized. You may have need for it for an adult dog. I recommend what is called a #400 size, which fits Goldens and Labs, even Bassetts.

Best books for puppy owners are "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" or "The Art of Raising a Puppy" and "Don't Shoot the Dog." All available at (used) Half.com or Amazon. Get one or all.

• paigect
    18 years ago

Fairegold is right about getting an adult-sized crate. Just make sure it comes with a divider so that you can maker is smaller while she is small, so that she won't have room to do her business in it.

• reno_fan
    18 years ago

We read "The Art of Raising a Puppy" about 3 years before we ever bought a puppy. By that time, I was CONVINCED of my need to crate train. Dogs are den animals, they feel secure, it's their safe place, etc....We've never had or watched a dog that didn't love the crate.

We had friend, on the other hand, who had a small Shih-Tzu that they would not crate. The dog was 2 years old and not housetrained. They thought the crate was "mean", and unfair to the dog. They didn't see that it was also "mean and unfair" to the dog, that they were constantly stressed out b/c of accidents, and the fact that they couldn't leave the house without stressing about what the dog would do.

We watched their dog for 5 days while they vacationed, and I of course crated her. She was crate-trained in 1 day, and almost completely housebroken by the 5th day. They promptly went and bought a crate, and now swear by it. Pooch even goes into the crate on her own for naps!

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Maybe if they renamed it the "den", like you call it, reno, it would have a much better vibe...the word "crate" is so off-putting to folks with their first dog, I imagine. (We don't have one [yet]; we have three cats, including one that thinks he's a dog--that's enough for now :))

• fairegold
    18 years ago

Actually, we've never used a divider in a large crate, and I've housebroken maybe two dozen Goldens over the years. Don't pay extra for a divider. The pup will grow into the space faster than you will believe. Here's a good crate.

Here is a link that might be useful: wire crate

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much! Where do you keep a big crate like that? In the house? Does it just become part of your furniture? I must say it will fit right in with our Early Garage Sale ensemble, but someday when I have nice stuff I don't really want a big wire den in sight.

LOL about the name Lupin being scary. I did think Sirius was a good name but too masculine. At least Lupin is a flower (besides the wolf/werewolf thing).

Pauline, I too wondered if she might have Doxie in her. She has a bark just like my aunt's little Doxies, but I didn't know how much a puppy's bark changed as it grew. Another friend said maybe Jack Russell. She's becoming quite the Heinz 57!

And yes, our yard dried out after the flood. I would love to have you over, Paige, anytime - and you don't even have to pet-sit.

Just so she doesn't feel left out, I'm going to show you my beautiful cat, Pearl. She was rescued last December and we've had her 1 year now. She and the puppy are doing well together and the Guineas just hang around her like she was one of them. She is a hunter, but the Guineas are safe - they caught her sneaking up on them once and quickly let her know (somewhat painfully, I suspect) that it wouldn't be tolerated. We raised the birds from 1 day old and they're just pets. They eat ticks and help keep rattlesnakes out of the yard.

• fairegold
    18 years ago

You won't always have to live with the crate, and when the pup is trustworthy and fully trained, you fold it up and put it away until you do need it. But yes, it becomes a piece of furniture. Put a towel or tablecloth over it and it's an end table!

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Hey, seeking, "lupine" would work even better, since it is more feminine! and they're beautiful flowers, too...and we'll just forget the Monty Python reference for now :)

seeking, I remember seeing on the livemodern forum a reference to a *modern* dog crate--very good looking! Not that you're doing modern, but that there are some folks out there who are thinking how to make crates look more like a part of the home atmosphere and not like a little touch of High Security right in your living room :)

• sue7972
    18 years ago

Love your puppy, seeking! Choosing a name is so hard to do...but I love names from literature so any of the ones from Harry Potter work for me. We have also named our animals after famous people or places. Currently we have a cat named Fenway, another named Steinlen (painted cats for milk ads). Our dogs are General Logan (civil war general) and Paulie (named after Paul Loduca, former Dodger, because she's little and can kick @$$). Just throwing that suggestion out so you have even more names to consider.

• mtnester
    18 years ago

I'm a cat person, not a dog person, but she's a real beauty! I love that quizzical look! And thanks for showing us your cat, too. Now, when you see just the tip of a tail, you can tell them apart because they're color-coded! :-)

Sue

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

OH my gosh, I couldn't get the cat link to work at first, but I just saw Pearl now. WOW! She's huge and beautiful! How much does she weigh? Or at least she looks big in that pic. We have a big ol' guy too that we got from the shelter, adopted as an adult...He weighs about 17 pounds. He's very long, and very filled out. (I think it's from a time in his life that he didn't have enough food--he seems to have no internal governor and will eat everything in sight even if it makes him fat, poor guy--and it's not that we feed him junk at all)

Pearl is just gorgeous. So she's happy with the puppy? Could be the start of a beautiful friendship... :)

• scotland1
    18 years ago

Oh, my, my fingers are twitching to play with your puppy! The white tip on her tail just slays me. You might have to wait until sheÂs mostly grown to figure out what she is. Our pound puppy was labeled "lab mix," as was every other puppy at the pound that might become a largish black dog. IÂd be surprised if there was a purebred dog anywhere in her recent ancestry. I describe her as black, 55lbs, with a white spot. Your puppy definitely has basset legs right now

BTW: your DD is also adorable. If those two ever gang up on you, youÂre in big trouble.

• jerzeegirl
    18 years ago

The shape of the ear is very beagle to me....check out the puppy on the right. Same ears in the same position on the head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beagle puppy

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Seeking, I just saw your beautiful pup! How fun to have a new family member. I just wanted to tell you that my dog loves her crate so much that she'll often put herself in it to take a nap, and always puts herself to bed around 10 p.m.! (She's four years old this month, and I'm happy with her habits.) Another good book is "Puppies for Dummies" which also gives good pointers for behavior and training. I had a very successful yard sale a couple of years ago, and bought a nice wicker style crate which lives in my "porch" room next to my wicker swing. (They are more expensive, but I figured I had to live with it too. Considering the amount of stuff I got rid of, it was a good trade, easily paid for.)

Enjoy your new pup. I'm looking forward to hearing what you pick for a name...

• blueginger
    18 years ago

Oh, such a cutie! I just had to post to agree w/ the others about crate training. We did it it religiously until our doggie was around 1. Then we slowly started giving her more freedom - leaving her out in the house when we were going out for short periods. Now we dont have the crate (she's 5) because I think she just sleeps on the couch when we arent home! It definately wasnt a cruel thing at all - and she would put herselft to bed in the crate too.

Definitely come up w/ a phrase to use when she potties - it is nice to be able to get them to go on command later on if you are traveling, it's really cold out, etc. For now have a little celebration w/ her when she potties outside.

Our pup also will ring a bell mounted by the door to go out. As a pup, when I was taking her out to pottie I would ring the bell. Then if she ever rang the bell, I would take her out. She caught on quickly. Now she doesnt ring it much, but sometimes she does ring it at 3am!

• mindstorm
    18 years ago

I have to run to a meeting but I just had to post to say what an utterly utterly adorable little pup mutt. She's so sweet. I'm sure she'll have a good home with you. I'm glad you rescued a pound dog - they are always so grateful for the rescue that both rescued dogs and cats often make me cry with how hard they seem to work to "fit in" or to try to make things right if you're cross with them. My little Louis cat can be furious at me for not opening the door for him for the 53rd time in an hour, but if I snap at him to tell him to shut up, he gives up all his petulance and comes running up to me all concerned, rubs up endlessly, jumps up to the table or counter (which should not help his case coz he shouldn't be there) to reach my face so he can nuzzle me and rub heads - all because I sounded (and was) cross with him...

OK, now I'm really late and gotta go ... But little Rory is a cutie.

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Oh, I just have to tell this...Blueginger, I taught my dog to ring the bells when she had to go out too. It was very helpful, since I could hear them from the far reaches of my house; I would tell her I was coming, and would let her right out. After she got older, I had to put the sleigh bells away when she figured out that going out to potty got her a little treat and she started ringing them all the time...

It worked great until she started problem solving, and I got Outsmarted by my own training!.

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

claire, so funny about the bell; our dog was paper trained at first, and she
    would go and walk on the paper and make the rumpling sound to get a treat.

Seeking, your pup is adorable; welcome to the funny world of puppies, our dog was a a brat as a pup but I have to admit I never laughed so much all day at all her antics. She's 11 now, and when she tilts her head when I talk to her, it still cracks me up .

Keep us posted on her progress.

• blueginger
    18 years ago

:) they can be so funny -
    such clever little pups.

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

PUPDATE:

Doing well! Still using a modified crate (laundry basket upside down) but potty training is coming along nicely. I got a huge kick out of the dogs that ring bells - what kind of bell did you get and where did you find it? How do they ring it? I'd like to try that!

I have to ask you experts an important question. The foster mom told me to feed the puppy 1/4 cup of food twice a day. The dog food bag (Iambs Puppy Food) says 1 1/2 cups a day. I gave her the Iambs amount and she was pooping 6 times a day! I cut back on the amount but is she getting enough to eat? How can I tell? She seems happy but she wolfs down her food (regardless of the amount) so it's hard to tell exactly how hungry she is. She also has tapeworms, I discovered, so I'm sure that makes her feel hungry. We go to the vet tomorrow so I'll ask him about the feeding, too.

DH has *nearly* settled on the name Shortcake. He calls her Shorty. I don't like it - makes me think of Danny DeVito or a Mafia henchman or something. Still, I did tell dh he could name her and I don't feel strongly enough to exercise veto power over the name. I do find myself unable to call her Shorty but I have tried out Shortcake. Eh. I would rather call her Tipper, his first idea, but then I have these control issues...

flyleft, Pearl weighs 11+ lbs (just had her rabies vaccination so I know!), which is up from 8.5 when we got her. She is such a sweet cat and loves the girls, which is quite something when you see them in action :) She takes turns sleeping on their beds but always ends up on my feet sometime in the night. She was dumped in the park by her owner along with her 3 kittens. When they were found, one of the kittens was too badly injured to survive. The other two were adopted, but people seem to want kittens more than grown cats so my Pearl was left alone. I was delighted to get a grown female tabby cat. I missed my tabby (had her 19 years - got her from the shelter at age 1) who died during our remodel. Anyway, she isn't exactly friends with the puppy but she tolerates her presence. You know that aloof pose that manages to convey a feeling of disdain? That would best describe her reaction.

Love literary names, too, but dh does not! He doesn't realize Pearl isn't just a play on "purr," lol. You should have seen the look he gave me when I suggested Antigone for our puppy's name (Annie or Angie for short). Oh, and he didn't like the girls' suggestion of Aurora, either. I guess it's going to be Shortcake. Shorty.

• fairegold
    18 years ago

Feed lean! The dog food company has a vested interest in selling more dog food! Seriously, we keep our puppies on the thin side. For reference, our very very active 1 yr old Golden, about 55 pounds, gets about 3 cps total a day, in two feedings. I'd feed a puppy that size more like 3 times a day until she is about 4 months old. At about that time, switch over to a good quality adult food, and go down to 2 feedings a day.

At this stage, maybe a 1/3 cup (measuring cup, not eyeballing an amount in an old 12 oz coffee mug!) three times a day.

A lean puppy will be healthier as an adult.

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Seeking, re: bells...I had some sleigh bells (Christmas style bells fastened to a long strip of leather) that I hung on the back door. They hung down far enough that she could bat them with her paw/nose. I gave her a small treat when she did it so she'd get the idea, then we went out. It didn't take long! (Dried liver treats are good for this, since they're small and you're not adding too much food to their diet.) As she ''gets'' it, you can add another task before she gets the treat, so you're not feeding her all the time. We finally progressed to ringing the bell, going out, coming in, then getting a treat for doing what comes naturally. Have fun with it; you know if she's ringing the bell, you're well on your way.

I agree with Fairegold about keeping your dog on the lean side. Ours is getting a total of three cups a day as an adult, with some long lasting chews in the evening to supplement her food and keep her busy. The vet will help you out, and you'll be able to tell as she grows if she's getting enough/too much.

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

When we got our sweet rescue pug, we had no idea that the breed will literally eat until they explode (well...almost!) DD2 knocked over an almost full box of All-Bran and the pug had licked the floor clean before I found her.

Needless to say, she spent the next several days out of doors.

• reno_fan
    18 years ago

Pecan! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

• paigect
    18 years ago

I won't even get into the things my pug eats. Blech.

Seeking, thanks for the pupdate! And good for you for trying to restrain yourself re: the name. I can know how hard it is! I did the same with DS when we got our pug, and he insisted on naming "her" Otis. A boy name. Now we mostly call her "O", so it doesn't really matter, but we always get strange looks from people when we correct them about the dog's sex.

• jerzeegirl
    18 years ago

I resisted crating for a long time with my Corgi, but needed to finally get one (because he was having housetraining issues). He learned to love it. When he was eventually housetrained, we left the crate in the bedroom with the crate door open and that's where he would go, voluntarily, when we left for work. I am certain it made him feel safe.

Regarding food, whatever you do, do not give your dog wet food. We made that mistake and our poor dog had to have some front teeth pulled. The dry food is much much better. Now, I just buy the expensive stuff at the Vet's office. It helps me get over my guilt!

Regarding names, it's a rare dog who has only one name. In fact, on the Corgi-L mail list, people were asked if their dogs had alternate names and you would be surprised at how many names of endearment the members gave their dogs. So no matter what you name your dog, just consider it a beginning...

• blueginger
    18 years ago

re: the bell

our dog is a small cocker spaniel (~20lbs). you know those hook and eye type door latches? We screwed the "eye" part into the wall at her eye level and attached a small brass cow-bell type bell that we found somewhere. She mostly rings it by batting it with her paw.

• wooderlander
    18 years ago

We use a little Chinese brass bell that we got at Cost Plus, hanging on a string from the doorknob. Our big poodle boy noses it, then stands back and looks at you with extreme alertness until you get there to let him out. He fakes us out sometimes too, not really wanting to go out but just wanting Something, probably trying to skip directly to the treat. I only give him the dog food treat sometimes, not every time he goes out.

We started our puppies on four small meals a day, then three, and now that they're grown, just two, at 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We use really high quality dog food and hypoallergenic treats that I buy online. They also get little bites of raw broccoli, carrots, lettuce, apples, or the stems from greens while I cook - keeps them busy and only semi-underfoot because they sit for it, and I enjoy giving it to them. They do not like zucchini or celery. And they get a little organic nonfat cottage cheese or yogurt with dinner, just a spoonful.

I don't know why, but over the last ten years or so I've taken as much care with what the dogs eat as with what we do. The one exception: When we go to Sonic occasionally (daughter works there), we'll give the big boy a tater tot. Or two.

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Once again, thanks for all of the help, support, and anecdotes. I took our pup to the vet yesterday for her booster, got a Heartgard thing to give her (she loved it) and a tapeworm pill which I'm supposed to give her tomorrow. She weighed 9 lbs and the vet was very impressed at how socialized she is and how well she is doing. I signed up for a health program which seems to be the doggie equivalent to well baby checkups except it includes worming :) They also recommended puppy kindergarten classes which begin in 2 weeks.

I got a puppy training book in the packet that is called After You Get Your Puppy ...the clock is ticking! by Dr. Ian Dunbar. Wow! I had no idea there was so much to do. Cats are very basic, but dogs come with all these rules to ensure they turn out to be well behaved. I have to say I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. It WAS very exciting to have my puppy learn to come and sit in just a few short lessons ("lie down" is proving to be more difficult). Other things are harder for me and I can't remember what I'm supposed to do - it seems like there are so many facets and overlaps that confuse me. Well, I have to take notes from the book, I think. I will be getting a crate, got her some more chew toys, a new water dish, more treats to put in a Kong ball (which the book recommends) - this puppy business is exhausting and expensive! But she is such a little love. I will try to be patient.

• fairegold
    18 years ago

Dr. Dunbar's great! You'll enjoy his techniques with a little puppy. The hardest thing for most people who follow Dr. Dunbar (and we do) seems to be weaning from treat rewards to a verbal reward when the puppy is older. Many people assume their puppy is trained, but believe me, you have a long way to go. At some point, your puppy will turn into a stubborn teenager, and "come" and "sit" will suddenly become the biggest challenges. LOL!

You'll be fine training her. look at the great start that you have had.

I highly recommend "Don't Shoot The Dog" by Karen Pryor. It's also excellent reading for how to deal with spouses, kids, co-workers and everyone else!

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't Shoot The Dog

• Katie S
    18 years ago

Seekingadvice, LOVE the pensive shot! Would you mind if I used your photo for the inspiration for a painting? I can post a photo of the result! What a darling puppy. Our Maltese wasmortally wounded by our neighbor's Akita when it broke the latch on their gate right after we mobed here. It was heartbreaking. I would love to have another dog someday-- it has been about 8 months since our little Molly died and we miss her so much. I love the name Shortcake but agree about Shorty-- like the nickname Cakes better if she has to have one!

• celticmoon
    18 years ago

I'm seeing Springer in the spotting on the legs, Beagle in the ears.

Way cute!!

Ours was also from the pound, a stray maybe 3-5 years old. She is mostly Springer and Border Collie. And still hyper energetic and enthusiastic after 9 years!! Enjoy.

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

skatiero, I am so excited by your post! Most definitely you may use the picture!! I looked at your website a while back when you posted it and was so impressed, both by your work and at how great you look. You had been saying you thought you didn't look well and I can't remember whether or not I posted to you at the time, but I'll tell you now that I thought you looked great. And I am always in awe of those who can channel their creativity into such fabulous works as yours.

I'm very sorry about your Maltese. It is so hard to lose a pet - you do have to go through a mourning period, I think. We lost our dog, who was 16, last summer and didn't really feel ready for another until now. I married my dh when Luke (the dog) was 9 years old, so this is my first experience with a puppy.

What do you think about this new name? DH even agreed to it. Our 5-year-old suddenly came up with the name Cricket, and we really think it fits. I think we could still use Shortcake as an endearment, too. Believe it or not, it even ties into the girls' desire for a Disney princess name, as Cricket is one of Mulan's companions and is supposed to bring her luck :)

Cricket/Shortcake now knows how to sit, lie down, and roll over, though that one requires a treat in the hand for prompting. We're still not quite there on housebreaking and I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong (if anything). She doesn't go in her crate, she does go outside when I take her, she tells me sometimes when she needs to go out but she sometimes goes again inside or she will pee outside and then poop inside. Luckily, the floor is hardwood, but I always said I'd never had a pet that pooped in the house. Hopefully, it's a temporary training situation.

• Katie S
    18 years ago

Cricket is a GREAT name!!!!!!! I just love it! It was also the name of the captain of the our rival college's field hockey team back in the day. I love it! it suits her PERFECTLY! It is cute, sweet, high-energy, feminine, and has no mafiaesque nicknames! Ohhh, I can't wait to paint her portrait. Will post the result her and on my website. Thanks for the compliments, too. You made my day!!! :)

• paigect
    18 years ago

We almost named our Pug Cricket! Couldn't quite talk DS into it, though. And Skatiero, there was a girl in my HS class named Cricket, and I think she played field hockey. Hmmm. Maybe the same girl?

• paulines
    18 years ago

Skatiero, so, so sorry to hear of your beloved Molly, makes me crazy how careless some people can be with their animals. Looking forward to seeing your painting of Cricket!

Seeking~Love the name Cricket, it fits her to a tee!

• blubird
    18 years ago

Congratulations on your new family member. Speaking of words to call the puppy's 'business' - cruising through the internet on Ami Simms website (she's a well-known quilter/instructor/puppy raiser) she mentions having trained her pup to 'PARK' on command - she said it sounded better than it does spelled backwards!

• Katie S
    18 years ago

Paige, wonder if the gal you knew ended up at Sweet Briar College-- our field hockey rivals!

• paigect
    18 years ago

S, could she have been from CT?

• Katie S
    18 years ago

She sure might have been-- she did NOT ahve a southern accent, that's for sure! How funny.

How's the puppy doing, Seekingadvice?

• seekingadvice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

She's doing fine! Don't worry about your discussion, btw - I'm enjoying it!

I don't know whether or not Cricket is going to work as a name. I'm not sure dh is going to give up on Shorty and I don't want to confuse the poor dog. Right now she responds to both but I'd rather pick one or the other and stick with it, I think.

• Katie S
    18 years ago

Ahhhh, yes. Hmmm, dh is not going for it? Maybe if you give him a treat and a pat on the head whenever you hear him use the name "Cricket" it would sink in faster! Just kidding, lol.