Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part X1!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 14:08

OK Guys, we're onto the next chapter.

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part X of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part X1!

bow

iPad

o

wow, ipods have come a long way. i think i have one of the originals - looks very large compared to that baby.

what a nice present, plllog!

o

Awwww Plllog,

That's sooo sweet. You didn't have to, you know. And you went all the way to San Francisco this morning just to pick it up for me. I'm sure Steve was happy.

I just hope Amy doesn't get jealous. You know how she is.

o
And a P.S.

P.S. The quickest way(s) to a man's heart?

1. His stomach
2. His toys

iPad I Love YOU. I mean it's about time. Like 3 years that we've been kept waiting.

o
The iPad Party

Stef-Missy are you coming over tonight? I wanna show you guys my little present from California with the Red Bow. It is so neat-o.

We can email, read books, newspapers, watch movies, surf the net, store photos, share photos, play games, chat. in a nice slim, light, take anywhere package. Yes, even do it at the beach.

o
The Death of The Library?

Oh, and we don't have to go to stale Libraries, during Library hours, and hush and be quiet when the Librarian says so. And we can read any book when WE want to. And goodbye Library fines, maybe!

But, it also means we can't meet people and do little silly things in the corners.

Well, imagine all the trees this will save. It's an Eco Green toy.

o
Steff-Good News

Stef- got some great news for you. I was at Home Depot this evening (foolish move) and asked the guys about you Plugmold Switch. And Woaalllah, they have it. So you can hide that baby under the cabinets. In fact, I want to do the exact same. Yayyyy.

Now about the foolish part. I didn't check the Weather forecast but went over to the USA to order the Kohler sink. Why buy in America? $450 in USA and $800 at the Home Depot in town here.

So, when I got out of the store, it was a BLIZZARD! I drove home like a Snail. But here's the fun part. On the Canadian portion just outside of my town, I was trailing a massive Dumptruck with a snowplow and he was my personal road cleaner all the way home. It was great, so I can't say that the roads were that bad. But pity the guys ahead of me.

Yes Stef it is one those nights where you and your DH would be glad you bolted from the North East.

Missy? any such foolishness there.

Plllog, I'm not asking you, you're probably at the beach with my iPad!

(all right, I'll share, if I have to)

o
It Gets Better

I was on the phone today with a local Appliance dealer, Importers of AEG in Canada, about the 18 inch Custom Panel Dishwasher for GULP))) $1,200.

I almost pulled the trigger and then told him I'd call tomorrow. Yeah, great German names and glitzy stuff is nice but this is a measly 18 inch Dishwasher. It's like paying more for a Smart Car than a standard BMW 3 Series. The real top LG's. Bosch etc. 24 inchers are barely $1,000.

So, the good news, my Home Depot Lady looked at Home Depot online and found a special on a GE Profile (their top line) for $750!! I almost fainted.

The AEG guy made a point of how the Euro-German washers have a coil inside the dishwasher that heats the water so it's much better or whatever. But we discovered that the American GE also does the same. So, maybe they're fairly equal.

So, what you guys think? Would you pay the $1,200 for the Euro AEG Import or save the $400 and put it towards the Kitchen?

These things are always tricky since we never really know how good any particular machine really is do we?

o
IPad Bonus

Just thought of an amazing thing.

The iPad is a great Kitchen tool!

We'll be able to have videos of cooking shows and actually imitate the cook as he's cooking while you watch the iPad on your Kitchen Counter. Or simply be reading a recipe right off the iPad screen. And you can even splash egg all over the screen and not worry about ruining the pages of your recipe book.

OMG, this iPad is endless possibility.

See Plllog, look what you've gotten us into. Work!

o

Check the Miele. Everybody's favorite DW.

o

Such a nice gift and you're having so much fun with it. That larger screen makes it possible to replace the laptop in the kitchen and you don't have to worry about the keyboard getting wet.

Thanks for checking on the plugmold switches, I only looked online so far. I have copper tiles to put in the backsplash and no room with all the switches and outlets. There are lights under the cabinets so the wiring should be easy.

The GE reviews are just okay. There is a similarly priced Haier that gets better reviews. The Miele is more than the AEG, but may be worth it. As far as the value of spending more, you have to decide that.

o

Thanks Stef. Looks like I might steer away from the GE. Heavy suggestions towards others. I started checking the Miele and Bosch.

Bosch is about $1,000 with the door kit. Ultra low DB rating and they boast about their #1 JD Power Satisfaction ratings in Dishwahers. Anyone heard good things on Bosch?

o

Bosch is okay. If you're going to overpay for a DW get Miele.

o

So? You still dreaming of the confusingly named iPad, or have you decided on a DW?

o

woweee it's quiet in here .... the wind is whistling around the non-crown molded bulkheads and new ikea stove.

I found this (kmickleson's) kitchen in the FKB and although it's not technically Mexican, thought it looked very pretty and colourful. It stopped me the first time I went through the blog, and again, when casually scrolling thru it yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: kmicklesons-kitchen

o

Missy, that's really cool! I think Solman went to San Francisco to get his iPad.

o
Did He Really Go To Get His iPad?

Not.. yet.

Hi everyone,

I'm back!

My apologies for lack of notice but just got back from a breathtaking (literally LOL!) 4 day Yoga retreat.

Lots to share for all later.

And this is what I am part of:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Enlightenment

o

Missy-Thanks for the nice Mexican kitchen photo. I like it! Especially since my eyes went right to the Tiles. The window is just dynamite. If I didn't have this nice stained glass window, I would immediately follow suit. And tiling above and around is brilliant.

Plllog-I see you're also questioning the iPad name. Apple actually has registered rights to iSlate, iPad, iTablet. I also thought the others were better but no doubt Steve has very good reasons why. The most logical would be to capitalize on the iPod name resemblance.

Well naturally didn't do much Kitchen action in the last 4 days and was under strict control. No newspapers, no television, no radio, no internet, no caffeine, no chocolate. no alcohol, no meat, no leather belts/watches. More on this. The media is full of negative sensationalism and it is that very thing that sells newspapers and makes captivating headlines. Usually the first 10 pages in any newspaper will be dedicated to such. Murders, catastrophes, robberies, sex scandals etc. The good news happy stories are usually buried in later pages. So, our mind absorbs negativity which affects our mind and breath and ultimately the flow of energy in our bodies.

Actually what I went to was not a Yoga specific retreat, it was specifically for Sudarshan Kriya, a powerful revitalizing breathing technique. This Kriya is the culmination of Yoga and Meditation. At X-Mas one of my personal friends had spoken so positively about about this course and the teachings of this technique that changed his entire body and life in 2 months that I was so excited to attend.

Our teacher was diagnosed with Lupus disease since the age of 16. She spent her entire life in medications ($400/month). There is "no cure for Lupus". Our teacher began the Sudarshan Kriya eleven years ago at the age of 45. After 60 days, her Doctor was shocked after seeing her blood cell tests being completely normal and told her whatever she was doing to continue. She abandoned all drug medications and has been drug free to this day with no presence of Lupus. I was stunned. Some in the class also had the cholesterol and High blood Pressure issues, also cured. There was also one other young man that became Lupic free.

The whole thing was truly mesmerizing yet so simple. In a nutshell, the Kriya is all about the flow of energy. This flow starts with something so basic as your breath. It is the first thing we do when we enter this world and the last thing we do when we leave. And without it we have no life. So if the breath is not in harmony, then our body and mind also cannot be in harmony. And the onset of disease begins. What is remarkable about what I witnessed and felt is that disease/instability can be reversed almost immediately.

The Gurugi and Founder HH Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has reached out to an estimated 300 million people worldwide through personal interactions, public events, teachings, the Art of Living workshops, and humanitarian initiatives. Not since Mahatma Gandhi has one person united people of different traditions, and faiths into a spiritual communion across the length, and breadth of India. He travels to nearly 40 countries every year, exemplifying his call to globalize wisdom. His universal message is that love, and wisdom can prevail over hatred, and distress.

He was named Forbes Magazine's 5th most influential man of India.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breath of Life

o
You Weren't Kidding

Plllog

So you should be happy with a good Bosch, just make sure you get a good one. I think they are making cheaper ones now that might not be as quiet.

All that being said, I've been told (by a salesman at the appliance store) that the Miele's are even quieter.

Spending more money on a dishwasher is about the best investment you can make, IMHO. Buy the best, you won't regret it.

Looks like a lot of raving for Miele out there and not so much for the Bosch.

I just hope the CDN pricing is in line with USA. Diff is $250 more for the Miele. Miele has the top cutlery tray. Good idea.

Agreed, worth it.

o

They're reenacting the creation of the Panama Canal at my house so I'm back iphoning and just can't deal. Later.

o

The retreat sounds great. Are you changed? Are you practicing every day?

Re the DW's, there are only two good things I've heard about 18" DW's: Size and Miele. The GE or whatever less expensive one should be just fine, but since these are geared more to small apartments than luxury bijou kitchens, they're very basic. The Miele is aimed at luxury bijou kitchens, and is appropriately deluxe. So go basic or go big. I can't see the advantage in going medium.

o

But wait there's a mistake!

It's the Panama Canal not the California Canal Plllog. I'll call General Noriega and get this ironed out. Correction maybe not, he's not answering his iPhone these days. Can you maybe do a live Blog for us so we can at least follow the events as they unfold. What happened??

Missy- you might have to sign me out again. This time it's off to LA in the Rescue Helicopter and Plllog when I throw you the rope and Yell "Grab it", just do it and DON'T look down.

The retreat. Not to romanticize it too much. But this one was a Party Room in the basement of an Apartment Building. The "real" retreat is in Quebec.

But yes, the effect of the Kryia is immediate. A neat story. After we did our first one lasting almost 1.5 hours including the guided meditation our Teacher asked everyone to share their experience and what we felt. Almost the entire group was freezing. My right foot was numb. Some people teared in their eyes. I think what happened was we cleared the energy paths and so energy in our lower body was able to move to the upper body.

On that note, we watched an amazing video on the relation of cosmic energy from our universe and how we are actually connected to it. The human body has these "channels" (sorry forgot the medical name for them) which look like nerves 72,000 of them! and this is the energy flow which guides our body or existence. Then the video showed these dark patches, which were blockages, where energy could not flow. Hence these could be physical ailments or diseases. So the idea of the Kryia is to have all the energy channels absolutely free flowing.

But our connection to the universe's cosmic energy really blew my mind. For example, it even drives nature/religion. The highest energy points are 4-8 A.M. and 4-8 P.M. The lowest are 8 P.M- 4 A.M. This explains why all religions like Islam do the call to Allah at 4 A.M. All birds and animals are in full peak mode, and people go to Bars to drink and smoke and whatever in late hours to raise their low energy levels. The murder and crime statistics all show that the highest occurrences are between 9 P.M to 3 A.M.

It has only been 2 days but I'm happy to say that I have done my Kryia without miss. We were told that these first 60 days after completing the long guided Kryias are critical for success and good results. If I miss even one day, I must go back to Day 1 until 60 consecutive days are completed.

But not to make it sound like work, it's actually very calming. It takes 25 minutes to do this on our own with the "short" version that we were given to do at home. One can go for a "refresh" at any time. And then it's off to the Advanced Level which for us in Canada is at the Big Ashram in Montreal. I believe Masters from India would be conducting that. To be an Instructor likely means going to Banglore, India.

Funny story. I did this course entirely without knowledge. My friend just described it as some "Yoga" breathing course and I signed up. Had I gone to the Art of Living website and realized how big this whole thing really is and the scale of influence it has, I would have really been in awe. I only even looked at the website upon arrival home yesterday.

There is a Youth Empowerment seminars for At Risk Youth that have actually lowered crime rates in low income areas.

The Art of Living Foundation and the Freedom From Poverty Foundation (FFPF) in partnership for the creation of a multi-specialty charitable hospital in Ayodhya, India. This partnership is the first of its kind for Western-medicine-based FFPF, enabling the hospital with holistic approach to medicine through HH Sri Sri Ravi Shankars teachings of yoga and meditation.

There is a TV documentary video on Youtube (will try to find it) of an experiment that was done in NYC. There was a mass Meditation session of over 500 people for i think one day. After that session the crime rate in NYC fell by 25% for that month. So the energy field actually affects others around you.

Before leaving, our Teacher reminded us not to have any pets or babies in the same room when performing your Kryia. She said the dogs, cats, children will all automatically come to you because they can feel and want your positive energy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Real Retreat

o

Sounds like you've really found something that works for you.

The canal...the main water line to my house went kapphooey. They've been making very clean, vertical trenches for the new one, digging locks through the different levels and retaining walls. It's a mess.

I was at my folks'. Where I found a gas leak outside. So there are trenches there too, but at least those don't fill with water. But I may end up there again, because the old pipe, which was patched for the duration as they lay the new, is squirting. Sigh.

o

That does sound like a mess Plllog. Now I understand the Canal. I see you're surrounded by holes everywhere. Yikes. I hope they have BIG "Watch Your Step" signs posted.

Sounds like you've really found something that works for you.

Well, let's not count our chickens yet. But I'm sure it is good. Our minds are very volatile machines that travel at the speed of light and cause all kinds of problems even where there may not be any. So, if the Meditation can bring the mind under control I consider it instant success. The health benefits are just gravy.

I found the Youtube video that people were talking about. It has 10 or 12 parts. But very interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: What The Bleep Do We Know

o

I don't have time for 10-12 parts on YouTube, but if you're getting benefit from this I think it's great.

One technical point, however, computers go just under the speed of light. Brains are actually much slower. It takes perceptible real time for basic processes. Though there is some speculation that there is some quantum involvement which might even be faster than light, not only is that wild imagining, but for breathing walking people, any perception of a quantum process will still be rendered into consciousness at the slow speed of the living brain. But I get your point.

o

plllog, sounds like you've had a rough couple of days. Hope that your place (and your parents') is ok! good grief!

solman, glad you had a good break, and are renewed.

o

Thanks, Missy. Things are getting better. Yesterday I was just at my wits' end. On the one hand, it was nice to go where it was warm and I could do laundry. On the other, the amount of stress brought to the fore an infection which I've been repressing. I think I need some of Solman's breathing. The trenches are still there, but at lunch time most of the pipe was laid, so I hope that there will be water tonight. The gas leak is fixed, and they got a guy out last thing yesterday to light the water heater so that was okay. We're expecting another inch of rain, but hopefully the trenches will all be filled in by then. Kitchen work starts back up on Friday. Sigh.

Any progress with yours? I can't remember how much space(time) there was supposed to be between getting your cabinets and installing them.

o

WATER!! YEAH!!!!!

o

Plllog, sounds like you have a real mess at your house. Water is good. Good thing you were there to find that gas leak before it became a serious problem.

Solman, positive lifestyle changes are important to well being and it's good that you've found something that works. The Lupus results are interesting because it is an autoimmune condition and lifestyle changes can have an impact. It's just great to hear that it worked in her case.

We've been in Houston and installed the backsplash this week. Travertine subways with slate inset. This was a dead end galley kitchen with a about 5' counter space. The fridge was between the range and a wall oven that was in the back left corner. We moved the dishwasher from left to right of the sink. Those corner cabinets with glass doors are, I think, exactly what plllog recently described as "creepy." LOL, we're trying to sell the house so I wanted something that would be memorable. I thought we were getting the wood grids on the glass, but there was a mixup and the cabinet guys had already exceeded expectations by a good bit, so I just accepted it. The total cost was about $6,500 because we did everything but the cabinet install ourselves. The house will go on the market in about two weeks.

Photobucket

o
RE: The floor is not orange

The floor is ceramic tile and is really more of a cream. It's not the color that shows in the photo.

o

Now, see, Steff! I was all prepared to focus on that orange floor so as not to be creeped out by the corners! ;-) LOL!!!

It's a very nice looking kitchen, and I'm sure I could live with it just fine, even with creepies (though it helps that the floor is really more cream). Hope the house sells soon!

I was thinking the same thing about the breathing and the Lupus and the autoimmune. Ever since I saw the old biopic about Sister Kinney, I've been careful of the "well if it doesn't fit the known pattern it's not really an X" way of thinking, though I suppose it's also possible that it wasn't really Lupus. But it kind of makes sense that this kind of work could hit a reset button for the immune system.

o

Seff - Welcome back and congratulations on the Kitchen completion! The "dead end" Galley is creepy. Makes for a good Horror Movie set where the victim is pinned against the counter with a knife wielding psycho. LOL! But I like the color of the cabinets. They look expensive and very mainstream so will cater to most everybody. Now let's just hope for the quick sale. We'll all root for you complete with Missy's Pom Pom Smiley :) Steff, will you be affected by the recession property meltdown or did you get this place for a steal when the market collapsed? I hope the latter.

Last night when I was at the local Appliance store for the dreaded dishwasher purchase :::SIGH, the salesman talked about booming sales because TO actually has had a housing boom for almost one year. YEAH. As in multiple bidding above asking price! He then compared it to America saying that they have the real estate bust not us. The logic of this boom still baffles me. As a result, high end US Appliance brands have apparently been saved by Canadian sales.

I was laughing too at Plllog's "creepy corners" when I saw them.

Plllog, see the impact your silly words have? It even made me change the corner. Hey, since we now have the same corners, could we be part of a new movement? UCA The United Corners of America. LOL! Carpenter has been on some strange night shifts at his day job and hence we haven't connected. But the corner cabinet is cut-finished, we've got the hinges and just waiting to see him, likely tomorrow.

Speaking of Plllog? Where is she? Oh, she's probably still in the shower with her loofah from Whole Foods, bathing in the luxury of man's treasure- water. But nice to hear.

I can relate to the ruckus that your Canal construction is causing. When they cut the sidewalks/pavement the noise is harsh and your whole house vibrates etc. Our city has Canada's worst sewers. Literally everyone has them ripped apart by the city for replacement.

o

If water is good, hot water is even better when you hit the shower.

Your stories from the retreat have me thinking of giving up caffeine again. I've actually accomplished it twice and kept it up for a year or two at a time, then work gets busy or something and I hit the caffeine again even though I know it's counterintuitive. There are plenty aguas frescas stands here, so I could always go with yummy papaya water in a nice Talavera jug.

Good to hear you are propping up our industries. Beware the multiple bids above asking price, that's one of the signs the top is near. Another sign is when your coworkers insist they can't lose when signing up for an interest only mortgage on an overpriced house they don't qualify for in a questionable neighborhood by borrowing the down payment so it looks like they actually have money in the bank.

Yes, the price on the Houston house was right and it should sell easily because it is a modest home and neighborhood in a nice, convenient area of town. The housing market in Houston and most of Texas was not part of the "bubble" and has not been hit as hard by the recession. The banks and real estate professionals here decided early on not to push buyers into homes they couldn't afford with creative loan packages, encouraging lying about financial status, and promises of 6-figure profits. I've seen news stories that attribute at least some of that to the traditional cultural influences from our Mexican roots.

A little more on the "dead end", the original kitchen was a two wall galley with a blank wall at the end. We turned it into a U-shape by adding counters/cabinets along the back wall which tripled the counters and storage space. We were definitely going for generic, universal appeal, so glad to hear we achieved it. Our own kitchen will be much more personal with copper, slate, gray/green painted cabinets, salvaged butcher block, and vintage lighting.

o

"I think I need some of Solman's breathing".

(as I try to re-enact the past with a long post that was lost last night when this site went down GRRRR)

In doing my 3rd session at home last night, during the Meditation portion at the end, after leaving the Yoga sitting position, you lay down flat on your back and eventually turn onto your right side. Well, I was actually asleep and in "mini" dreams. Eventually I forced myself to get up knowing that there was some serious grocery shopping to be done.

But even funnier. After our first guided Kriya and long guided meditation (1.5 hours) last Friday, a couple of people were out cold and actually snoring!

It says on their website, 20 minutes of deep meditation is equal to 4 hours of sleep. Our Teacher never sleeps past 4 A.M!!

Another thing that happened. The teacher warned us that we must drink 3-6 litres of water per day to facilitate the body in it's toxin release. The Kriya forces toxins out of the body and you become very thirsty. They had 3 cases of Spring water for the class of 10. I was racing for a bottle every 15 minutes.

On food, we were told not to eat meat, no caffeine etc. Milk is also to be avoided. Vegetarian diet. The teacher specified that we don't have to become vegetarian, the body will automatically and naturally do so. Something spooky, I ate Sardines Monday night (as always) and just happened to have Salmon on Tuesday and both times I found it fishy and almost threw up! This scares me because I love(d) fish! Yikes! I'm sort of hoping our teacher is not right. I might have to eat my last oysters, shrimps, crabs etc. before it's too late. I'll call it The Last (Seafood) Supper.

Plllog, not sure if I mentioned but our teacher was not the only Lupus one but there is another student who also has reached normal state and is medication free. He was always very sick apparently. Will talk to him next time I go.
Sorry to hear about your infection and hope you can be free of it. We need our Pacific Dolphin to be playful and happy :)

Stef- You don't think I over did it sending Plllog to all those Fiestas and wild outings do you?

o

Stef- you should have seen the shock on my face when the Teacher talked about the foods to avoid and said Tea-Coffeee-Chocolate, all caffeine.

I never had a taste for coffee, but LOVE Green Tea and Dark Chocolate. I guess it makes sense. You don't want your heart and mind racing when you're trying to be calm and meditating. I've tried decaffeinated Green tea but it was yuck.

The teacher did say that Green tea is acceptable since the Caffeine level is much lower than Black Tea and Coffee. Have you maybe considered Green Tea?

I also like Green for it's medicinal qualities and digestive aid.

o
This Just In Direct From Mexico!

Plllog just confirmed with our Teacher, she had "full blown Lupus".

I told her about my fish fiasco and her reply (sent by iPhone) :

"I had same thing happen to me. I loved chicken but after kriya, I ate it at I had the taste of blood in my mouth all day and that was last time for me."

So Amy, instead of that silly Seafood Dinner in Miami, how about a fresh Vegetarian Burrito at Chipotle's in Buffalo?
BLUSH ;::BLUSH;;;;

o

Steff-just remembered one the the "lost" parts of my post last night. I LOVED the ceiling you made in the Houston Kitchen. What a nice design touch. I also like the shape and how it follows the shape of the Kitchen. Remarkable.

By the way, when it sells can we have a mini Fiesta complete with the SA market fresh Tamales? Vegetarian for me please. Looks like I have no choice :( But always liked the Frijoles ones with Salsa Verde more anyways.

o

Have never liked coffee either, but I do enjoy green tea almost every morning. Don't care for the decaf version of almost anything.

That's great news about the Lupus. It would be good to know if it was practicing the entire program or one specific part although the results would differ because of the nature of Lupus. I'm wondering if it would impact other autoimmune conditions as well.

Been there, done that with the vegetarian phase. Lasted for about as long as the caffeine free phase. Even though we have several meatless meals each week, meat is generally at least a small part most meals.

The bump up in the ceiling housed a fluorescent light and luminous ceiling panel. It was very dated, so we opened it up and replaced it with an Ikea light fixture. Glad you liked that, it's good to know the things we did are working.

o
RE: link broken?

The imbedded link doesn't work, so here it is again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea light

o
Regalo Para Senorita Plllog

Now won't that look good on your Californ-i-a Kitchen counter?

Price $2500 US!

Here is a link that might be useful: Regalo

o

And for the Vegetarians

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction Wok Burner

o

Nice looking induction components.

It's cold and rainy, so I took a look at some of your yoga links. I seem to have reformed my image and now the internet views me as a Canadian interested in becoming a personal trainer and other such lofty pursuits according to the pop ups following me around.

o

Stef-are you at Art of living.org or art of living .ca?

o
The iBust

The iPad dream just went bust. SIGH.

See link below. Apple already has the next revision ready for a Webcam. Considering how they're pushing it as the ultimate Internet experience, what about Skype chats without a webcam? I don't think so.

Shame. I already had my wallet out. Hopefully revision 2 will be no more than six months away.

It always bothers me when companies do that. Hold back on features for future releases. Years ago, I bought the first Canon Rebel film SLR. It came without flash and I always questioned WHY such a foolish design. Six months later Canon released the same camera "Now with built in Flash!" and I was rather annoyed and soured the the purchase entirely.

An $800 iPad without a $5 Web Cam, I don't think so Apple. But thanks anyways.

Here is a link that might be useful: iPad Webcan (Lack of)

o
The Dream Team

"Nice looking induction components."

When I was at the AEG site, I thought the perfect setup would be a 2 burner 15 inch Induction beside a 15 inch Teppanyaki induction beside a 15 inch wok induction. All 3 side by side.

Imagine THAT!

Stef, you should mention that to whoever is building that Monster house near SA. At least if the house isn't pretty outside they can make the kitchen State of the Art.

The Wok plate is $1,000, the 2 burner about $700, the Teppanyaki $2,500. So $4,200 does the trick. People are paying close to $3,000 (here in N. America) for a 36 inch induction so not such a bad deal.

o

Man scratches head and ponders.

Do you think? Maybe a 15 inch WOK induction + 15 inch 2 burner for this kitchen? Or too radical?

o
Prediction

Modular cooking Appliances will be the way of the future kitchen.

o

Induction definitely looks like the future of cooking. I'll have to consider it before getting new counters.

Anyway, some questions you should consider. Does the wok plate do anything else and how much would you use it over a more flexible option? Can you change out modules if your cooking style changes?

I was on the Art of Living site from the link you provided. It was just interesting to note that the vast web saw me as Canadian after visiting the site.

The people building the big house are Eva Longoria and Tony Parker. She likes to cook and just opened her second restaurant in Vegas. Her signature dish is Tortilla Soup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eva's Sopa de Tortilla

o

It's going to rain. :(

The soup sounds good. I've been eating the tortilla soup from Whole Foods. It's different from usual. Red. With masa rather than actual tortillas. And roasted corn. It's nigh unto solid cold, and becomes soup when heated. It's strange, but yummy.

A wok dimple is not something to put into a small kitchen unless it's your primary way of cooking. Did you even check if those dominoes can be installed over your oven?

In fact...have you checked that the cooktop you were getting can be installed over the Ikea oven?

I occurs to me that usually one has to have the same manufacturer with the units so designated that they'll work together. Or did we go over this a long time ago. I think we must have, but wasn't that a different oven?

Do check...

o

Plllog-you must be a psychic!

I emailed a willing German online AEG dealer last night and got this reply:

"its no problem , because you have enough place above the ovn . The plate needs some air for cooling , so you have make some holes above the oven in the furniture or to take it away ."

But, my question was just can you use this model under "a" wall oven not specifically the IKEA one. Off to email #2. Sigh.

Good point. Imagine bringing this thing from Germany and it doesn't work :(

o

Steff, you did a wonderful job on that kitchen. Here's hoping the house sells quickly and you get what you need for it. :o)
Glad to hear things are settling into more 'normal' state for you, plllog.
Sounds like you're having fun shopping, Solman. It will sure be interesting to see what your kitchen is like when it's all done.
I started a new job this week (yay) and today I worked on a baby quilt. My friend is having twin girls and I've been putting off making them due to the kitchen renos. Her due date is coming up though, and I need to get these done.

Here's a pic of the top of one I finished today... (click for full-sized)

Photobucket

o

Oh, cute, Missy!! Is that a one patch? Or a double nine-patch? Never mind! I clicked on it and saw the full sized picture. It's floral! So pretty! Are you tying or quilting?

Yes, things here are back to pseudo-normal. What I really want is a house, but it's getting there. They did the upper grout today and set the v-cap, except where the cuts are.

Missy do you like coffee? I think it's amazing that Solman and Steff and I don't. :)

o

OooOOoo hate to burst the bubble, but I'm the odd man out. I love coffee - always have (love tea too - black, green, and decaf *cough - only tea that I don't get along with is chamomile). Usually I have 2.5 cupsocoffeeaday. :O) I fear I break the mold of this group in other ways, too. I buy beef by the cow direct from the farmer (2 freezers), drive a 4x4, etc etc.

The quilt is a one patch I guess? It's a random(ish) mix of 2" blocks that are all in the same colour hues. Sorry I don't know the technical terms. :o) I have always liked the look of simple, old fashioned quilts. I think that I will tie these instead of quilting. I have never made a tied quilt before, but think it would be sweet for the new wee girls.

O a house, a house - my kingdom for a house ..... I had to find my sewing machine today (too much kitchen stuff in my sewing room). I still can't find my ironing board. It's kind of funny - I've looked everywhere, and it's nowhere to be found. I think maybe it's a sign that I should NEVER iron again lol

I am looking forward to seeing pics of your completed kitchen, plllog. I bet it's going to be fantastic. :o)

o

LOL! Missy, my mother used to buy by the side from the restaurant supply--does that count? :) I drive a 4x4 too--when I drive. Not as necessary here, but great for gallumphing across meadows.

Yes, the quilt is a one patch. The only thing about tying is that it doesn't hold the batt as well for machine washing. If you want to go even sweeter you can tie with ribbon. :) The quilt top is very pretty!

LOL on losing the ironing board!! My house is a similar wreck, but I can still find that! Things are finally progressing here. When do you get your house back?

o

Psssst ))))

Secret and surprising revelation coming tomorrow...

o

yippee I know!!! I know!!! The new corner is in!!!!!

o

Missy, that quilt is very pretty and will make a great gift. You are doing a beautiful job on it. My BIL's twins are 20 now, but I remember the fun chaos they could cause.

Chamomile is out for me, too. You fit right in here Missy. When I meet friends at Starbucks, I'm the only one with the Green Tea Latte. You have two sons still at home, so of course you are going to need the whole cow. My husband grew up on a farm and they raised their own so always had beef. We've just cut back over the years.

Good guess, plllog. Housework calls, so I'll check back later to see the big reveal.

o

Thanks for your kind words and input on the quilt. I hadn't thought of using ribbon, plllog. It sounds like a great idea. I think that would make it even sweeter. Would it tear the material to pull ribbon through it? I'd hate to put holes in it right off the bat. I'm using the same mix of materials for the second quilt, but the border will be more pink than the one I finished. I figured that way, they can tell them apart, but they are similar enough that nobody will feel slighted down the road. Perhaps I could do pink ribbon on this one, and green (or blue) on the other.

Thanks Steff (((hugs))) I was feeling kinda blue and overwhelmed last night. Half the time, when it comes to high end kitchen stuff, I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Sometimes I google it, but other times I just scroll on by (sorry to say). My best times cooking are when we are camping for a couple weeks. I love experimenting with a fire, cast iron, grills etc. I think that I'd have been pretty happy being born a couple hundred years ago. Perhaps that's what appeals to me about the authentic Mexican kitchens - they are mostly utilitarian, but have a whack of gorgeousness thrown in. It's the simpleness at the heart that I love.

As far as when I'm getting my house back - who knows ... I was thinking the other day that most folks hire people to do this - then those people are in the house every day for months sometimes. I realize that because my DH really can only work on this weekends, it will take much longer than if we hired a crew. I just need to keep reminding myself of that, when I'm trying to find something, or cook something with missing ingredients! In the long run, we will have saved a pile of casholas, so it (DIY) will be worth it. Just hard to live in perpetual upheaval for a length of time.
I'm really tired of winter, too. It's nice and sunny, but sloppy and chilly. I need some fresh air and line dried laundry soon! It will be a couple more months yet, unfortunately. We often get snow into May. Typically, the third weekend in May is considered 'safe' for planting - no more killing frosts.

o

Plllog your smiley is a serious

LOL!!!!!

o
Holy Floodgates!

It's Southern California gone North.

Things a little hairy right now. No, not as in lack of chest waxing but beloved Washer gone mad... correction bad. Mad Washer disease.

Off to the coin wash scene. "So, you come here often?" Um, no. Really.

o

sad Our surprise was that you're taking your laundry out in the rain? [sniff]

Missy, if you use embroidery ribbon with a sharp or millinery needle you shouldn't get bigger holes than with yarn.

(((HUGS))) to you, Missy! I didn't mean to rub it in! I just wondered if you had a schedule (that's my mother in me), so I'd know how long you'd be sans ironing board. My whole job was supposed to take three months, tops. It'll probably be a year when it's done, because of all of the waiting on tile. Doing it slowly because you're crafting it yourselves is much nicer than just sitting around waiting for things to happen. I can't even dream of DIY, so I really admire what you're doing. And your husband's cabinet work is gorgeous!

o

Missy - the ribbon idea sounds really pretty.

Schedules are just ideas, especially DIY. The Houston house was going to be about 3-4 months, but it's almost a year now. We put our own house updates on hold for a while, but still do a few things now and then. Really, I think both projects are turning out better because there was time to consider options. One of the best things about DIY is you can control the phasing. The tough part is that things are out of commission longer. But I just read another story about a local family whose contractor took off with the money and left them with a mess. Over on the discussion side there are many similar stories. So having a contractor doesn't mean things would go better.

I hear you about the weather, I'm really glad we left the DC area in "08. They are getting hammered with snow and wind. Lived in Wyoming for a while, winter lasted from early September to mid-June. Speaking of weather, I see we are going to get another round of rain from California next week. We are more than double our usual totals for the whole month and it's not even half way.

Solman is off to the Lavanderia? Well you never know what could happen.

Here is a link that might be useful: That Super Bowl commercial

o

Steff, sorry about the rain. We tried to wring out those clouds, but the wind finally pushed them on anyway.

o

Oh, don't misunderstand me - I didn't take it at all that you were rubbing anything in. :o) Over the last few days I have been telling myself to relax and let things happen as they will, and perhaps expressed it poorly here. I know that DIY takes a long time. We've done so many projects like this over the years. I guess I just forget in between how frustrating it can be living in the upheaval. Being stuck inside certainly doesn't help. I know that hiring people carries it's own risks and potential negatives, too. I know that when we're done it will be all worth it. :o)

We 'flipped' a house a couple of years ago - it, like yours, Steff, was supposed to be a 3-4 month project. We sold it a year (to the day) after we bought it. Paying the mortgage for those extra months sure didn't make for a profitable experience.

I gave up on finding my ironing board and just improvised. My sewing table is fairly large (it's a massive old desk that I refinished) so I just threw a flannel sheet over the end and used it. It's working well for the quilting project. (Have a wedding coming up - not sure how I'll iron those clothes hah)

I am definitely going to see if I can find some embroidery ribbon and use it. I think it will give the quilts a much softer, prettier look than plain thread. In the past I've always machine quilted, so haven't really explored the different types of 'ties' that can be used.

I'm sorry to hear about the washer, Solman. It bites having to go to the coin wash. I've been reading threads on new washers and dryers and am so glad my old ones still work. I don't know what I'll do when it's time to replace them. The new ones sure sound like they have more troubles than they're worth.

Stay dry, Steff! Pretty soon you'll be quacking like a duck at this rate.

o

"Stay dry, Steff! Pretty soon you'll be quacking like a duck at this rate."

Missy, I love it LOL!

Well guys, um it's been an interesting day indeed. At Minus -18C with the wind chill, I'm tempted to ask you Missy to donate that lovely quilt the needy iceman of Ontario :) Looks like Stef and Plllog are well Quilted so you're in good company. Sorry I can't help my Dep't is Cameras, iPhones, and iPads with cameras :)

I am glad to hear that all of our lives have been turned over, and our houses in disarray because of a silly Kitchen reno. I mean it feels good knowing that you're not the only one facing chaos. I cringe when I meet friends and they say "Still not finished?". On that note, guess who was a no show? Yes the wonderful Carpenter. Aside))) When they need cash, it's amazing how eager they are to drop by. Sigh. We don't want to get into that topic because I'm bound to voice my not so nice opinions of Contractors. BUYER ALWAYS BEWARE. No Missy, your way DIY is not a bad thing at all. At least you can rely on yourself. And as I've proved, Contractors do not mean better or faster. Unless you write them into a solid contract. For this price...for this work...by this time... Then they have no choice.

So, just when you want to move forward, you get this obstacle (Appliance breakdown) which takes you backwards. Diagnose-Estimate-Research-Shop-Buy. We all know how much fun that is :(

Fortunately, that came quite simple for me. I just dialed in Consumer Reports latest Washer issue. Top 2 machines are:

Kenmore 4027 (2) $800
LG 2050 C (W) $800

Both made by LG. Only difference the Kenmore has a Sanitize cycle with a built in water heater. That's why it got a better rating.

Any opinions? The Kenmore lady raved about it with Sanitize. The Home Depot guy said, Sanitize is useless for most everyday laundry since almost nothing is recommended to wash even HOT these days. So Sanitize would really shrink things and only something super White could handle it without damaging the fabric or color. Might be good for babies, which I don't have, at least not that I know of :)

I checked my off white (bone) bedsheets and they say Machine Wash COLD.

Would you bother with the Sanitize Kenmore? Is looks important in a buying a Washer?

Looks:

LG looks normal
Kenmore bizarre Black door (I wonder if Plllog would call it "Creepy")

The washer I have now is LG and was very good but is 9 year technology. I'm hoping Monday that the estimate to fix will be low and then I will fix it and sell and then buy one of these and pay the difference.

LG

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02627521000P?vName=Appliances&keyword=lg+washer

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore

o

We're all snugged in and looking forward to the "Big Game." At least it's still rain when it reaches us. This same rain will turn into huge amounts of snow in the Mid Atlantic region.

Most laundry is fine with cold water now because detergents have improved. One of the important differences in the two is the LG has a stainless tub. If you wash jeans or jackets with zippers a lot it can really make a difference.

After reading several reviews it seems they have improved the HE washers since I had the Maytag Neptune. The presets couldn't be changed to accommodate our needs and the electronic display went out after about 5 years so all those convenient features like the countdown were useless. Most importantly, the reviews say the clothes get clean now which was a major problem in the early models.

There's nothing wrong with 9 year old technology if the clothes get clean. In my experience the high tech washer was more work, not less. I had to run socks twice to get them clean, there was always mildew on the door seal, and dirty stinky water under the tub that had to have a bleach cycle run once a week. When it was time to buy a new one, I really didn't want a machine that thinks it knows more than I do about laundry so I went back to the plain old top loader with dials.

o

Thanks Stef!

I missed the Super Bowl commercial and just saw the link.

I love it! Not quite what happened yesterday at the laundrymat :)

thanks duimen smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

o

The LG sure is better looking! It's not the black door so much as the knobs.

The thing about washing instructions is that they're meant to protect people from their own judgment, so you'll get things like dry clean only on silk, one of the most washable substances in the world, because people don't know what to do with it.

Sanitize: Yes, good for diapers. Also for people who are ill or elderly. Not necessary for ordinary laundry. And if you have to, you can always boil them on the stove the old fashioned way.

On tech, Steff is right on. There is no new tech in clothes washing. There's water, detergent and agitation. There are high tech detergents but low tech is better for the planet. Clothes come clean when you slop them around in a bucket as I did when I lived abroad. Stain fighting applications that don't damage the textiles or dyes are the highest tech thing in clothes washing, and they took the best one off the market, supposedly just because it didn't sell well enough (though those of us who miss it would pay triple). I wonder if there wasn't a health and safety reason to nix such a good product, but they don't admit it.

People will tell you that the new front loaders make the laundry cleaner than top loaders, but everyone I know personally (as opposed to GW) who knows laundry and has tried both attributes it to the fact that you can't overlaod a front loader as heavily as a top loader, and clothes don't come as clean when they're overloaded. It may be true, however, that front loaders use less water. That's an empirical question, which also depends on whether you're using the optimal amount of water for your load size, and if your machine adjusts the water level, or if you get the same amount no matter how much laundry is in.

But that's the really big tech increase in washers: The amount of water and electricity they use. For the cleaning part, it's about the detergent and the skill of the launderer.

o

Oh well, maybe your next trip to the laundromat will be more fun. Glad you enjoyed the ad. For a while the ad was on the list of favorites, but after 10 years it's dropped down a bit.

plllog's post reminded me of exactly what I disliked the most about the Maytag. The machine measured the load and determined the amount of water. No way to change it so the socks stayed dirty because there wasn't enough water to carry the dirt away.

I would be interested in the latest if it would sort properly and switch the load over to the dryer as needed. Folding would be an excellent feature as well.

New tech is great for items like TV's and other electronics where it makes sense. My new digital slow cooker with variable temp is awesome compared to the older models. It can even double as a roaster as needed and cost a great deal less than a washer, so if it quits I just get a new one.

o

Put my vote down for low tech (aside from computers/tvs etc as Steff mentioned).

On another note, just out of curiosity ... if you're going to fix your 'old' washing machine, why not just keep it?
That seems the most eco friendly option.

o

Thanks everyone!. Looks like Laundry is taken with keen interest. I must admit it is one of the appliances that I don't pay that much attention to.

I'm not even sure how well it works since I can't say that my loads are very challenging. I don't like getting my hands dirty and certainly not me in general. If there were kids/baseball uniforms, mechanics clothes etc. I could probably judge better. But something you said Stef has perked my ear. Your front loader was 1st generation, as is mine, so perhaps mine is also not the greatest in washing if compared to the front loaders of 2010. When I got mine it was literally the first non- Euro, well priced, front loader in North America. The big American brands still weren't out for a good 3-4 years later. I had no Consumer reports or tests to validate the LG. I just did it out of being "Euro" and to satisfy "the" ex-German girlfriend :) Why?

The first time she came to Canada, she did her 1st load of laundry in my then 2nd hand Kenmore Top Loader. When I came home that evening she had this disgusted look on her face and I asked her what happened? So she dangled her French lingerie around her finger and showed me her bra with the words, "Thanks to your stupid American washing machine and that fat pole in the middle my favorite bra is destroyed". I guess the delicate cycle was not :) In my North American silliness, my reply was "We'll just have to go back to Paris and get some more". The German humor did not see mine, believe me.

Anyways, for her next trip she was welcomed with a new LG Euro front loader and that is testament of the lengths that men will go to; just to keep a woman happy ;)

C'mon Plllog, at least a pat on the back. Look at all the hugs Missy got!

Sorry Missy- Man feeling left out after Super Bowl Ad not coming true.

Yes, suggestion well made. I think I never considered your option because something inside tells me that this thing may be nearing end of life. Or could be the whole new Kitchen Reno mindset that every appliance will be new so this one too. Or maybe the vibration thing. When mine spins, the room shakes and the machine actually moves. I saw the new LG yesterday in Spin in the shop and it was as smooth as silk. Mind you, no water and no clothes so bad example to make conclusions.

o

patGood Solman.

o

Thanks but... I feel like a Puppy!

o
The Coast Update

Plllog I hope your pleased with the grouting on the splash.

Has this tilesetter exceeded or met your expectations? We all can't wait to see it. Let us know when he's working the sink area.

By the way, has the madness of the canals finally stopped or are your teeth still vibrating in harmony to the cement drillers?

P.S. Any good parties in New Orleans tonight? LOL! If only...

o

But...you said you wanted to be patted!

I've employed these tile setters before. They're the best. And literally wrote the book. There was a place on the window casing where he said he couldn't put the side tile in because neither of them could get their fingers in. He had a way of filling it that would have been fine. But I really wanted the tile filler, so I said that was okay for plan B, but could he try? So he figured out how to do it by taking off the casing tile, putting in the fill and replaing the casing. Very clever. Yes, they're the best. And the Ocean Blue part of the grout looks great. Tomorrow, the Italian Straw. And the quarter round on the sink.

The locks are level and the roses are marching through them as if nothing had happened. Of course this week's torrents helped level and smooth the scar. Here's the upper lock:

canal

And a little preview for you:

tile preview

o
Yayyyy, OUR Kitchen Is Looking Good!

OMG! you weren't kidding about the canal. Glad to hear about the Roses Plllog. Must say your soil looks good. I don't see much clay in there.

The tile work is splendid!! And look at those edge tiles! I love the rounded edge. Wish my Mexicans had those. I've never seen that style. Your color progression around the window is also sweet. What great work. The splash really sweet. How on earth did you come up with this whole thing?

I'm so happy for you Plllog and excited too, because after all, it is all our kitchen as well... right Missy-Stef?

o

happy face Pictures, Images and Photos

o

The backsplash looks incredible. Art for the kitchen. So worth the work to get it just right.

o

Solman, that's just the upper lock! There are two more levels!

Thanks, Steff!

Solman, so glad you like it. The v-cap are amazing, huh? But you wouldn't want to pay for them. I fell in love with them, and the base tiles because they looked so good with my cabinets. I was out of it when they put on the window casing and made a mistake--I forgot to tell the tile setter to do the cut at the top, so the cobalt is heavier than I wanted and the bottom green got cut. I'm hoping I stop noticing after awhile, but doubt I will. Not worth doing over, which would mean buying all new tiles plus labor, so c'est la vie. It doesn't really show in the yellow light in the picture, but the middle color of the backsplash is lighter than the other yellows.

o

Oh plllog that is incredible!! I can't wait to see MOAR!!!

o

Hey Pllog and everyone:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

From an occasional lurker :-)

o

wink Told you it was going to be colorful. ;)

Thanks, Missy!

Whoohoo! We got Marthavila out of lurk and flashing the red!

o
3 Cheers For Marthavila!

Hip Hip Hoorah!
Hip Hip Hoorah!
Hip Hip Hoorah!

We're so glad to see you back!

happy face Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Stef- Can you still hear the noise at you house? I heard there was a little party at the next state over from you, last night. I'm sure it hasn't ended yet.

What a Cinderella happy ending the Super Bowl was. Hopefully something like this has positive impact after the damage from Hurricane Katrina.

o
Present For Stef!

I think you'll like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stef's Present

o
Present For Plllog

I know you will like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gift For Our Artist

o
Halleluliah!

For once we can finally say that we actually have nicer Appliances than the Germans!!

No sexy colors over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Washers

o

Solman, what's with the inactive account Photobucket slugs?

o

I like white in a washer. White is good. Looks clean.

o

Not sure about the inactive thing.

So, An Artist- traditionalist.

White=Clean= Pure=$$ Cheaper :)

Something for me to remember when standing in the Sears Appliance Dep't.

Tomorrow it's Mr. Fix it $$$ Day. Hopefully I don't see the dollar signs in his eyes when he knocks.

o
Laundry Tidbits

Thought I'd share my new found laundry knowledge.

In a review an irate LG customer returned her machine due to bad. temp settings.

She measured the HOT at 95F. Officially HOT is 60C=140F. After calling LG, they confirmed her finding and saying they aim for 80-100 degrees F for HOT!!

I too was shocked by this finding.

That means the 145F "Sanitize"setting on the new machines is actually TRUE 60C Hot. Disappointing for me too since we use the Euro/Int'l Garment label symbols of 30-40-60 C, or otherwise known as Cold-Warm-Hot designation.

This means that I have never washed my socks-underwear or sheets at actual 40C-Warm. :(

So to wash at TRUE Warm 40C, I should have been washing at HOT setting on my LG.

Pray that modern detergents are really advanced.

WHY does North America always have to be backwards? Sigh.

Live and let die... I mean learn :)

o

Weird. It's like this thing we have here where they want the water heater to be set at 120F because toddlers and idiots can scald themselves. Toddlers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near water unsupervised because they can drown quicker than scald. Maybe the idiots should set their heaters low. I think mine is at 130F, which is hot enough. I don't want it hotter than I can tolerate for a full second, but I want to mix my water with the mixer, and sometimes use full on hot.

My dye buddies like Euro washers because they have their own heaters rather than using water heater temperature. Maybe you need a Miele?

Steff, how's the weather in Texas now?

It's going to rain here tomorrow. So you'll have it in a week, right?

o
Aha

The Sudman is not about to give up on this case.

Just pulled out my Pink Zara dress shirt, and YUP, it clearly says "Machine Wash Warm-104 F".

Great. All those Dates when I thought Amy was looking into my eyes, really she was looking at the ring around my collar!

o
Aha!

Just pulled out my Pink Zara dress shirt, and YUP, it clearly says "Machine Wash Warm-104 F".

Great. All those Dates when I thought Amy was looking into my eyes, really she was looking at the ring around my collar!

o
Aha! Case Solved.

o

Finally!

"My dye buddies like Euro washers because they have their own heaters rather than using water heater temperature. Maybe you need a Miele?"

Shhhh. Don't use that dreaded 5 letter German word please. It's already going to cost me in an 18 inch Dishwasher.

But you will be proud of me. We can get this babe with built in Water Heater and true 145 F= 60C HOT!!! (Sanitize) at Korean prices.

Done.

P.S. The Miele is $1,999 with a 1yr. Warranty. and rated # 24.
The LG 10 years. Rated #1 .

"I'm Lovin It"

Here is a link that might be useful: The Secret Jewel

o

Oh, heavens! The Miele thing was a joke!

Just be really careful with those temperatures--your pink dress shirt might not like being that hot. Does it actually have ring around the collar? If so, you need better detergent not hotter water.

Congrats on your decision.

o

Aha, I thought plllog's photo might bring someone out of lurkerdom. We did have a lot of rain yesterday and then cold last night from the system that hit you a few days ago. Now it's off to DC to drop another 12" snow. There are apparently two more systems in the Pacific that will hit soon. They are calling these El Nino storms, so what I heard about La Nina getting stronger must have been a long term forecast.

Your LG choice does look like a nice washer. Thanks for the link. While looking for new washers about 18 months ago I did look at a similar one. High tech top loader, no agitator and don't remember if it was LG, but sounds like a great idea. Then I read the reviews and the laundry ends up twisted same as the front loader. Nearly impossible to hang things damp and ironing was an even bigger chore. New tech should mean less work, not more.

Plllog's right, hotter water isn't the answer for keeping that pink shirt nice.

o
RE: Follow texasjg

Wanted to get this in before I forget again. Texasjg started a blog about her ranch back in January. You can check it out here. There are links to their other websites as well and you can even follow on Twitter.

Mardi Gras is next Tuesday and the party started back in January. The Superbowl party will just keep going for another week.

o

Steff, thanks for the link to Tex. I've been missing her.

I feel so bad shipping our rain to you. And felt so much better when they said that the record snow in D.C. was a Nor'Easter!! I mean, we're not responsible for the weather, but it's hard when we finally pull out to see the same storm wreaking havoc elsewhere. It's dark here. It's gonna be another gullywasher, though our gullies are already pert' well washed.

o

Glad you caught that, plllog. While I was out running errands, I heard the news that the current storm in DC is not the same one that just passed here. We are expecting a wintry mix tomorrow, so that may be the one you were referring to.

At first we were happy to have rain to end a two year drought, but now it may be too much of a good thing. There are road closings and collapsing retaining walls due to developer ignoring permit requirements. The water restrictions won't end because they are the result of an endangered species court decision and not the drought.

Those fainting goats sound like a lot of fun. Wimberley is a great area for artisans and shops so I do plan a trip there this spring.

o

Sorry to hear about the weather woes down South. Plllog your poor head.

I'm AWO (all washered out). The Repairman was here and yes it's new pump time. $150 out the window and 7-14 days wait time for the part! Yup, time to re-enact the Super Bowl Ad at the Laundry Mat a few more times. Socialization is a good thing.

After him, there was the eavestrough repairman from my fallen eavestrough during the ice storm last month. $350. Mother Nature is costly. But it is my duty to keep our economy strong :)

Tex is really running a serious Ranch down there. I'm quite amazed by the Rabbit stuff. I always loved Rabbits. Quite the characters.

o

Thanks for the link Steff. I have it bookmarked and will definitely keep tabs on our 'missing' friend.

Marthavila!! Nice to see you here. :o) I have looked everywhere for pics of your finished kitchen, but can't find them anywhere!

I have looked for circuspeanut's finished pics too, as well as igloochic's but can't find them either. Am I blind, or are they hiding on me somewhere? Does anyone know?

Solman, sorry your pump will take so long to arrive. Glad you got my your eavestrough fixed, too. Speaking of eaves, did you ever decide on a hood fan? Are you going to go out through the wall?

quote "New tech should mean less work, not more." Boy you nailed it, Steff!

o
ps .. again

ps ... sorry I'm so absent lately - I got a new job and I no longer have the same 'leisure time' I used to hah!

o

Oooh! Missy, congrats on the new job!

There are bunches of threads missing right now. I've seen all the kitchens you mentioned, and fairly recently, but the archive is kapphlooey.

Solman, if you're fixing the old washer why do you need the new one? Didn't Steff ask that? Am I too weather bedeviled to remember the answer? At least your eavestrough thingie cost less than my bougainvillea!

o

Missy- Congratulations on the new job! Hope you like it. Isn't is nice to have Marthavila back? And lucky her with her beautiful Red stove now in a finished kitchen.

Actually the eavestrough isn't up yet, just the estimate today. But Stef get this. Sign of a not so recession. I called 5 contractors to quote, only one even showed up! He automatically got the job. Is that an easy sale? On the flipside, the other 4 obviously have enough work. I just wanted it done with ASAP because I hear Squirrels having fun around the roof, which likely means they're already in the attic causing havoc and enjoying the Winter in tropical luxury.

I've still opted out of the side venting and smashing a hole through the brick at the side of the house. Lucky house. I know it's not ideal. I'll ask the Electrician when he comes to hook up the kitchen. Maybe he has a plan.

o
All That Research for...

Solman, if you're fixing the old washer why do you need the new one? Didn't Steff ask that?

Good point Chief. Yes and Missy even said it would be the Green thing to do. I kind of thought the same thing as the guy was draining the tub today.

Had this thing not happened, would I be buying a new machine? NO.
Was there anything wrong with the way it washed my clothes? NO (I was just fibbing about the Pink ring around the collar)

If I had been unhappy and cursing this thing for years, then maybe. But we were good buddies.

And seeing that all the 18 inch Dishwasher options, except Miele, were really bad, and I don't have one at all ...

o
New York Times Bestseller List

"The Irrational Side of Man"

GULP))))

o

Irrational man? No further comment.

Congratulations Missy, now you're really busy with the quilts and everything else going on.

Solman, it's probably time for a new washing machine. They used to last 20 years or more, but I think all those electronics wear out faster. My MIL still has a Maytag wringer she used up until a few years ago because she said the clothes were cleaner than the "new" washer which is now at least 30 years old and still going strong. I used the wringer washer once while visiting. No kidding, you fill it with a garden hose, run it, then drain and fill again to rinse. Ah, life on the farm.

o

lol Steff, we used a wringer when I was little, I remember being scared I was going to get my fingers squished. Then, (*insert tada trumpets*) my mom graduated to an old 'hoover' washing machine. (I'm not even that old - I think we must have just been poor). What a pain to wheel that thing back and forth to fill and drain it, and then move the clothes from the wash bin into the 'spin dry' bin.

I LOVE my job. :o) I'm doing some home care, and some nursing home care. I think old people are the greatest!
I finished the second quilt top, but now am unsure how to finish them. I am waffling between a normal quilt binding on the edges, or if I should put a little ruffle in there or even a satiny 'blanket' edge gathered into a ruffle. When my oldest was a wee baby he used to rub the ruffle on the edge of his favourite quilt as he was drifting off to sleep. It was comforting to him or something. I kind of think that something with a bit of different 'feel' on the edge is interesting to babies.
Any advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: very 'mod' hoover twin tub machine

o

Steff!! That's they kind of machine they had back when I was living in Mexico. But then they also had laundresses.

Missy, however did you turn that up? Sounds exactly like what Solman wants!! Re the quilts, standard binding will wear best but isn't "fun", blanket satin will shread but is very fun to pet. Not so great with the sucking and teething however. I haven't done ruffles on baby quilts, but it sounds like they hold up well in your experience. When I was little I loved the black velvet eyes on the stuffies my Aunt Martha made. I'd take them to bed and wiggle the velvet forever. A poly velvet would hold up to washing. Are you using any flannel? Kids love that! It's soft and warm. I like using flannel at least for the back because of that, and because the nap keeps it from slipping around.

Solman, it's just a pump. If your clothes are clean and you haven't had any problem with the electronics I think it's worth keeping the washer. Most of my laundry are colored knits. I wash them in cold water. (Cold has a different definition here than where you live.) They get clean and the fabric isn't degraded. Linens, underclothes, nightwear, and towels get washed in warm or hot. Oh, and socks, but I hardly ever wear socks. The menfolks' pants go in warm too on permanent press cycle. "Boiling action," if that's about temperature, really isn't necessary except for the diapers. And your pink shirt will thank you.

o

Speaking of "Mod"

I think we should be cooking on honeycombs.

Really, this is the ultimate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeycomb Cooking

o

Oh, CRAP!! They've brought those back?? Fagor made them 20 years ago. And I WANTED them.

o

"Missy, however did you turn that up? Sounds exactly like what Solman wants!!"

I just said we need washers with true HOT, not boiling, molten Lava!

Or were you referring to the "laudresses" :)

Great dig Missy LOL!

o
Honeycomb Love

Ohhh, I see the Honeycombs tickled someone's fancy huh.

Induction just has so many possibilities. I can't wait until the multicolor Honeycombs are available. Mixing Blue and Yellow etc. As Donna Summer would say "Hot Stuff". Imagine Talavera Honeycombs! Ummm somehow I don't think that's gonna happen.

o

Oh, never mind. The Fagor ones were induction. These are just plain old radiant. Feh.

o

lol isn't that old ad a hoot? If I'm ever bored (not often) I love looking at old ads. They crack me up for some reason.

I have never seen honeycomb cooking before. Looks very cool!

On your 'I'm not putting a hole in my bricks for venting' thought. I would very much encourage you to rethink - especially if you are wanting to put in a permanent wok (or even if you cook that way on a regular basis). I've just found that the hoods that simply recirc the air back into the room just don't work very effectively. Often houses with those have a cooking odour that you just can never get rid of. just my two bits worth :o)

o

Good morning, I hear the rare tick, tick of sleet on the windows today. It should be about 22oC today and it's about half that. Stuck inside when we are used to being outside all winter. Very glad we no longer live in the DC area.

The twin tub is hilarious and looks like a countertop appliance. Rice cooker, Bread Machine, Fryer? It would take a lot of loads to get laundry done that way.

Proper venting with wok is a must. Is the vent going to show that much?

o
RE: Live from San Antonio

CNBC is reporting live from our fair city today. I think the next reports will be after lunch. The story is that our economy is among the best in the country.

o

I checked out CNBC but couldn't see any live reports, Steff. I'm sorry but I am not sure exactly where you are. I know you're in the NE somewhere ...

Plllog, I forgot to answer your question earlier - the backs of the quilts will both be flannel. :o)

o

Solman, if you're ever going to use your fancy new cooktop you're going to need a real vent. What's above the kitchen? Can you run the duct up into the attic and out under the eaves? Or through the roof? Or if there's a room above the stove, is there a closet there where you can run the duct, or an empty corner or something?

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but the only people I know who don't mind houses without proper hoods are smokers. And it's not a reciprocal property--not all smokers don't mind it...some mind very much!

Steff, that's so interesting about CNBC--do you feel that the economy is good in SA? Or do you think it's just less bad?

o

These quilts are going to be awesome! Blanket satin is very soft but shreds. If you want to use a different texture ruffle, maybe some extra heavy polyester lining satin? Hm... but it wouldn't ruffle as well. And you probably don't want to use silk.... Velvet! If you can find a tough, low nap, stable poly velvet (rayon will shred), it would be so fuzzy and wiggly and wonderful! (I have a velvet fetish, what can I say...)

So have you come up with a plan for the binding? (You see--I'm no use!)

o

I'm in San Antonio, Texas. Erin Burnett was doing the reports throughout the day until about 3pm eastern. LOL, she thought she would get out of NYC to a nice, warm place and was just as surprised as we are to see this cold sleet/rain. We recently retired here after years of living and traveling just about everywhere for our jobs. We last lived in the Washington, DC area and so glad we are not there now.

For as long as I can remember this has been a slow growth town. That means there was no bubble, so things stay on a pretty even track. Lenders here did not participate in the sub-prime mortgage mess. I have seen a number of restaurants and small businesses close in the last few months. Many of the jobs are low wage jobs in tourism and call centers. I would say things are less bad here.

Missy, sounds like you've found a job you really enjoy. I like the idea of a velvet edging/ruffle. Those poly velvets wear like iron and still have a nice, soft texture.

o

O good grief. I did know that. I don't know why I was thinking NE (maybe just the crappy weather you (and they) have been having lately.) Sorry about that, Steff - I will try to pay better attention in the future.

I've seen recent reports of snow and ice down there. It must be so odd. I feel sorry for the folks who are losing their livelihood with the cold temps.

It's good that your area is a bit recession proof. They keep saying that Canada is doing well, too. House prices have dropped, but not as drastically as they have down there. I think they've started to rise again, and new house builds are supposedly quite strong. There are still an awful lot of folks without jobs though. There are a lot of businesses gone too - some that have been around for years and years. It's sad.

I'll have to look into some poly velvet for the quilt edges. I had kind of decided to just make a cotton ruffle, but the velvet sounds very unique. I guess with white cotton, it would be really easy to replace down the road too if it becomes necessary. :o)

o

Hi Everyone,

I'm peeking in again. Can someone give me a real short synopsis of where Solman's kitchen is at this point? Solman? I've been away far too long to try and catch up. And, from the posts I've been reading, it's hard to figure out what the heck is going on. Or. . . is it even going on?

And how about everyone else???? Pllog, I caught that wow glimpse of your cabs, backsplash and just a hint of the c-top the other night. Wow again! Got any more pics to share? And, when's the big reveal? It's gonna be hot, hot, hot, I know! And Missy? What's up with your plans? Steff? Is Texasjg still here? Not meaning to wear you guys out with all these missing lurker questions, but I am actually still very curious and caring about all of you and your kitchens after all. :-)

Hugs,

Marthavila

o

Hey, Marthavila!! So glad you're here!!

Tex has a blog--scroll up not to far to find the link in Stef's message.

The grouting is done as of today on mine, but still needs a layer of sealer. More pictures will come. I'm probably even getting faucets next week!!!!!!!!

Solman:

Froze on the way to the laundromat because the pump on his washer gave up. I think it's getting repaired, but he scoped out a replacement.

Carpenter was due this week. It's supposed to be a surprise, but I think it's the corner cabinet notched to an L.

Looks like I've steered him to a Miele DW (he was looking at basic and Bosch, and I thought it should be basic or Miele and that seems to have gotten him on a quest for luxury).

I'm not sure if the oven is actually boughten, but he was last look at the 30". The Ikea lady said the same thing about the inverted triangle with the 24" that I did, so I'm not sure if the decision was for looks or capacity. He was going to check to make sure his desired cooktop could be mounted over this particular oven.

Solman doesn't want to punch a hole in his antique bricks for the vent hood and we're trying to convince him to vent somewhere, especially since he's talking wok.

There was going to have to be a new order of tiles because the original 15 year old batch aren't enough because the layout changed. And he needs trim tiles. But I don't know if there was ever a for sure decision on the layout for the Guadalajaras (which he blithely continues to spell English style).

I do believe that a cobalt blue Kohler sink has been ordered.

There were many trips to the U.S. for big box store shopping.

That's all the news I can remember off hand.

o

Hi Marthavila, so nice to see you! I don't know if you saw earlier - I have been looking for pics of your finished kitchen to no avail. Would you mind posting a link to it? Thank you!

I've been posting updates to our reno in the 'smaller homes' forum. (Link below). It's going slowly, because we're DIY with limited time, but it's going ...

Here is a link that might be useful: trepidation

o

Hi marthavila. Welcome back from lurkerdom. I'm currently focused on finishing the house we are preparing to sell this spring in Houston. Scroll back up to Feb 3 to see the kitchen. Since we are DIY, most of the work on my current home in San Antonio is on hold.

Thanks for the link Missy. Now we can go there to catch up with you.

o

Ooooh! Missy, thanks for the link!

o
25 cents Cost me $150.00!

Yooo hoooo

Just made it back-barely.

Was off to the BIG city and handling "nuisances".

The Washer is fixed! Sings like a Canary again. When the Repairman pulled the pump out, there was a discolored, bent quarter that came with it. That quarter got into the filter and broke the pump. So, moral of the story, empty all coins out prior to inserting laundry. Washer stays.

Missy-Sounds like good progress on the quilt. Well done.

Funny story or actually not so funny. One of my nuisances was my poor hand. Last Saturday night I had a bad fall on the ice on my driveway and my hand was severely swollen and blue. I've been putting Arnica Cream on it (naturopath remedy) but it's still Blue and I have decreased mobility in the fingers. So might have to see what the Modern Medicine Doc has to say about it. Stef, lucky you moved from this mess to SA. Congratulations. Winter is actually dangerous. Falls, car accidents, respiratory ailments etc.

I see you guys are not giving up on the proper venting so I've started thinking. It is true the Wok can be smokey. And it's not pleasant having a place smell of stale cooking. Can the vent hose be fitted between a wall? Then we run it between the wall of the Bathroom above the Kitchen and into the Attic and or out the roof. Who would do such an operation? A Plumber. Is it bad to make holes in the joists and cut through them?

The Carpenter was a no show with the cabinet on Tuesday. Has agreed to come on the weekend. SIGH.

Plllog, I had a dream last night that you were doing a Aboriginal Rain Dance but not for more rain but for the progress celebration on your Kitchen. Oooo you've really got us going. Has the quarter round gone around the sink yet?

Stef, good to hear that SA is not a "Bubble city". As Missy said, talk in the "press" is about better times but the reality seems different. The Jobs are still missing. Let's not forget any real activity is likely the stimulus stuff which is Gov't spending. The consumer spending is still down and can't come back until there are more jobs.

o

You're welcome for the link. :o) Sorry, I thought I had posted it before, but perhaps not. This thread moves pretty quick, so posts tend to disappear pretty quickly. I posted a couple of new pics today - nothing thrilling (cept my doggies hehe)

o
changing subject so i'm allowed to post

Hi Solman, I think we were posting at the same time. I'm glad your washer is fixed - it's always nice to know what caused the problem, I think. I'm sorry to hear about your hand. Sounds like a modern doc is a good idea at this point!

Venting through a wall can def be done. Perhaps as a plumber, or a heating guy. They would just need to make sure they are not compromising the structure, and that there are no electrical or plumbing issued in said wall. It might be cheaper/easier though to go out the wall. Much less 'in wall' stuff to worry about, as well as a shorter distance, and no roof repairs needed.

o
The Dishwasher Mystery !

Soooo. It D- time.

Agreed that custom panel is the best for the look of the kitchen, especially if the alternative is White dishwashers which just don't have the Bling.

Also, the Miele was easily the nicest with the cutlery tray on the top and much better reviews as Plllog said.

Canada Pricing

AEG Panel 18"- $1,200
Bosch Panel 18 " -$1,800
Miele Panel 18"- $2,000
GE Monogram Panel- $1,000
Kenmore White-$500

USA Pricing (with exchange rate) 5%

Bosch $ 1134
Miele $ $1400
GE Monogram $840

Is it mindless to spend $1,400 US on a Dishwasher?

Caveat: No Miele Warranty in Canada if purchased. If Mieles are that good and each one has been tested at the Factory, it shouldn't break down in the 1st year. Warranty in Canada and USA is 1 year. But note that I am in the same boat with the German AEG Induction cooktop.

After reading all the reviews, almost no one said that the Chinese Kenmore was good. In fact, all said it was terrible and noisy and one person's water sprayer fell of and was on the dishes! Same for Frigidaire. So seems like $500 in the garbage. Many said they will have to go buy another one.

The Miele also has it's own water heater so that that baby can really cook. Literally!

Dare I buy that dreaded, bad 5 letter German word that I have always maintained to be nothing but a status symbol?

GULP;;;;

P.S. I hope I will never have to buy an 18 inch dishwasher in future Kitchens.

o

Solman, sorry to hear about your hand. I did have a few spills on the ice, but nothing serious. You do need to get that hand looked at to see if something is broken.

Hope this cheers you up. This is the prep, tortilla strips in the cast iron pan. Can you guess....
Photobucket

No peeking....Okay, time's up

If you guessed tortilla soup, you are correct!
Photobucket

Just right on a cold, dreary day.

o

Oooooooh!!!!! Yummy!!!!!

Quarter round just went in and is caulked. The only thing left inside is a layer of sealer. The outdoor counter will be done later.

But your poor hand!!! It might just be bruising, but it sounds like something might be broken. Even in Eastern medicine they set bones! Get thee to a doctor. If it is bruising, wiggling will help, as will warmth, because those bring blood flow which carries away the dead tissue. Have you tried Traumeel? It's herbal, and my friend swears by it.

The no warranty concerns me because sometimes you just get one that's faulty. If it's good, one expects it will remain good. But for $600 you the gamble sounds worth it--you could pay for a repair for that much. Though with a couple of no warranty appliances it might be worth looking into a third party warranty (basically, insurance) which might not cost much.

BTW, a status symbol is a status symbol because people with the money to get the best usually get the best money can buy, and don't care about the symbol at all. So they buy the Miele DW's because of their quality. Though I just saw in the Appliance Forum that they're not good if there's a lot of silica in your water.

Yes, you can run the vent duct up inside of a stud wall, or, if it's a bathroom, if you didn't mind the look, even right through the bathroom. Until recently I was assuming that wasn't an option at your house because I would have thought you'd have explored it first. Ask Carpenter about it when he's there. If he doesn't have a satisfactory answer, get a heating contractor out to look. They're the people who install ducts for a living.

o
Yeaaaah We're Having Sopa de Tortillas!

Not from Guadalajara <----Notice the spelling "out there"

But from Cocina San Antonio!

Thanks Steff. It worked, you put some cheer into me.

This time I hope I actually get some ; since last time Plllog had the heaping second and last serving :)

I can't wait to see the finished product. And I can't believe how lucky you are to be eating all this delicious Mexican that's so normal.

Missy for them it's as normal as Tim Horton's Donuts up here LOL!

Stef, you'll be proud of me as I'm eating tortillas again. I'm now in my new Sprouting phase. I discovered these famous breads at the Health store made from sprouted grains, no flour! So you're eating live food. I also bought some these tortillas made from sprouted stone ground corn and they taste great. Yes the closest to the handmade Guatemalan ones that I rave about.
Surprise, it's a California product.

Marthavila-long story but Steff is the Master of Tortilla Soup and we've been encouraging her to start a manufacturing plant in SA using her secret recipe handed down from generations in Mexico. The timing is just right since SA needs the jobs and we need a delicious soup. I've sent my resume into Stef for the the quality control Batch Taster position.

smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

o

UPDATE:

Professional Heating contractor called for examination.

o

Solman, what is this with posting the inactive photobucket blanks? Preview, preview, preview.

Good news on the quarter round, plllog.

It's time to bring out the tale of the Bosch oven again. Shortly after installation, my shiny new 30" Bosch began to shut off whenever the door was open for more than a few seconds. The reset required running outside to the circuit breaker. It was under warranty and Bosch promptly sent a new board to our local Mr. Appliance service company. Well, five service calls and three new boards (including the mother board) we are problem free. Turned out when they installed the first board the tech didn't properly reattach the ground. Could have saved himself two boards and three visits. The conclusion is that warranties are good because I really wouldn't have wanted to pay for all that on a new oven.

BTW, you probably have access to all the ingredients needed for tortilla soup.

o

Oh, Steff, so good to hear about the oven fix! I'd been wondering. It looks like the choices for my mother are Bosch and Viking, both of which have some reported issues.

Solman, good news about the appointment. How's your hand?

Are you trying to post smilies? If so, you need to get them from free smiley sites, or save them and upload them to your own Photobucket account and post from there. It's harder with a Mac, but it can be done.

I won't get out the pat smiley so you don't feel all puppy again, but good work on the spelling. Now for a little word selection exercise: I'm reading between the lines that your tortillas are made from flour, but not from wheat, right? Sprouted whatever flour? But "live" food is swalling goldfish whole (yuck). And "organic" is as bad a word for certain farming practices as "biologique", as they say in French. There's nothing more organic than petrochemical fertilizer. It's made out of decayed dinosaurs; it's hydrocarbons; it's flammable; mix in a little diesel oil from the tractor and it goes BOOM! It's definitely organic. It's just fossil. But that is accepted verbiage, as is "flour" meaning wheat when contrasted with "masa" (maize). But flour is actually the powdery stuff that grinding makes, and there's also almond flour and garbanzo flour.

Speaking of which, my cousin makes these really wonderful Italian pancake things out of garbanzo flour. They're heavy, but massively wonderful, fried in olive oil. For which you'll need your hood.

o

You remember the Bosch oven saga! I thought about posting the results, but the old thread was probably long gone. My SIL has had a Viking wall oven for at least 10 years and is very pleased with it.

Plllog, did you ever solve the DR door problem? I thought about that when you posted the NYC kitchen with the pull down screen.

Solman - That's a good idea to consult the heating contractor for the duct.

Thanks plllog for straightening out the word thing. When Solman wrote about live food I immediately thought of Japan where they actually do eat live fish.

o

O my goodness, I'm LOLing at the word thing. I went back and re-read my last paragraph. If the first two 'sentences' were posted by themselves they would make absolutely no sense ... I am apparently getting lazier the longer I spend online. hahahah

"Venting through a wall can def be done. Perhaps as a plumber, or a heating guy. "

I guess I'll have to be more careful and make sure I enunciate properly as I'm typing, so that it all comes out correctly. The dumbest part is, that it all usually makes perfect sense to me as I'm typing it (specially since I talk out loud so much as I'm typing) but often when I go back and re-read it makes very little sense in type. (How's that for nonsensical? lol)

Steff, your tortilla soup looks wonderful. I have never had it, I'm sorry to say. I am a soup lover though, so it would probably go down well. I remember your oven woes. I have a love/hate relationship with warranties. Usually when I pay for them I never use them, and when I skip them, (thinking they are an unnecessary expense) I am sorry.

Do you all think I use parentheses and quotation marks too much? Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

LOL!!! Missy, we don't count that. There's a difference between a performance error and a language error. A performance error is when you know perfectly well what the correct usage is and just goof, usually because your brain has several things in it at once and your fingers (or tongue) choose the wrong thing to let out. Forum chat is written informal speech so few of us spend time sculpting and crafting our posts.

Whereas, it's too much fun teasing Solman!! But I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been confused. For me it wasn't the "live food" thing (I just think that's a dumb name), but when Solman said there wasn't any flour in the tortillas and I was trying to figure out how they got whole sprouted grains to stick together and still be flat and flexible. After rereading it, and then finding the "stone ground" in the next sentence, I realized that they were made out of flour, like all tortillas I've ever seen. So then I figured out that "flour" in a tortilla context usually means white wheat flour, and finally figured out what Solman was talking about. Hence the screed teasing him.

I LOVE creative punctuation!

Steff, thanks for the oven info. That's very useful! I'm not doing the pulldown screen, but will probably go with a low tech door. I have to finish designing it. When I thought I was getting the big glass one I paid to have the electrics moved to the other side of the doorway because the glass door would have covered it up. And then realized that that was one of the big sticking points anyway.

I'm probably going to get a 2/3-1/3 double door. Plain butt hinges will get them flat enough against the wall, and with the asymmetric split, the small side won't be wider than the wall. Because that side is open to the LR, getting a hand around the opened, smaller door (13"), to get at the light switches, won't be a big deal. I'm just trying to settle on a design.

o

Stef-I didn't remember the oven saga. But glad it's over. Phew. Funny yesterday the Repairman showed up with the wrong part. I asked him if it was # ........ and his reply was that "yeah this one should do it". I was hovering over him and sure enough it didn't fit. Off he went to the truck with "I'll try some others that I've got lying around in the truck". I was upstairs when he was making attempt #2 but when I came down he had the machine working. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't have a Whirlpool pump in my LG :(

Makes you wonder about the competence about these repair guys. Good thing is I can repair a front loader with a pump issue now, as if I ever will.

I'm confused about the Smiley problem. My screen is showing my last smiley from 16:44 perfectly. Are you guys getting a blank photobucket message?

Plllog thanks for the Traumeel suggestion. Funny when I was buying the Arnica ointment, I was debating between the Traumeel and this one. Oh well should have maybe tried the other. Interestingly, last week when I was in America at my favorite Supermarket, where they have an amazing Natural Food Dept't, I looked at this Arnica stuff and thought maybe I should buy some in case I have some fall or inflammation pain "one day." Spooky, that day came a week later. Hmmm. I was also thinking good thing to have in your First Aid bag when traveling.

Oh sorry the Tortillas are sprouted Organic whole kernel Corn.

"Sprouting grains and seeds before baking produces living, nutrient-rich food."

"Different than most corn tortillas today, these unique tortillas are made from freshly sprouted 100 % organic whole kernel corn. We use no corn meal or corn flour. We sprout our corn first, then slowly produce into a masa using basic natural ingredients and gently press into these wholesome and flavorful sprouted organic corn tortillas. We believe in sprouting the corn because sprouting is the best way to release all of the nutrients stored in the whole grain. Our slow mixing process helps preserve the important natural fiber."

You can see, taste and smell the SPROUTED GRAIN DIFFERENCE". Your body and taste buds will know the difference.

Taken right off the package because these guys couldn't be bothered to put this on their website. :(

2010 Solman willingly eats Tortillas once again. Ayyy Yayyy Yayy. Sabroso!

It's hilarious that I'm scared to heat them up in case I kill them LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Caution They're Alive!

o
See

Stef-Missy you heard her. She "enjoys"teasing me!

Girls! Sigh)))

o
Smiley Testing

thuiz Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Now I get it. There is a raw and living food movement out there. Interesting, but I would have to give up way too much.

Arnica works, a doctor's assistant recommended it to me after surgery and I was pleased with the results. Your hand problem sounds more like you may have an underlying injury that needs to be addressed first.

Plllog, I like the idea of the 2/3-1/3 double door. That's a very common solution in commercial applications.

o
RE: Smilies work

Good, you got the smilies to work. It's odd that you could see them and we couldn't.

o

Looking at my hand right now, the meaty palm area, "under my thumb", it is now a dark grey. Was dark Purple and Blue last weekend. So the Arnica seems to be working gradually. I likely broke hundreds of blood vessels . Like Plllog said warmth is important. I notice my hand tightens up and circulation is lost when I'm out in the cold. Don't know if it's the injury or the Minus -10C temp. Only way to test this is to lay me down on a beach in Cancun. Then I can confidently report back :) But Plllog will make me sit here in Canada until this Kitchen's finished. C'mon just a little Sun and warmth is what I'm asking for. Health reasons ya see.

o
Another California Thing!

"There is a raw and living food movement out there."

Stef-If this catches on, imagine what will happen to Appliance sales! Silly Californians, they're always causing trouble.

Just think of the energy savings. Now that's Green. Literally.

o
Something Smells Good!

Stef I think I can smell the Tortilla Soup all the way up here. Is it almost ready?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here