Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part 1X!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 14:04

Hi Guys,

The Mexican Fiesta is over here now!

Cheers to the Lime Margaritas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part V111 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part 1X!

And Canaries!

o
Is it Tonight?

Say is anyone going to the Le Creuset Festival tonight? Apparently it's being held in California this time to liven things up with a splash of color.

I can't make it until Jan 25 to pick my new...i?

o
Don't Think We Didn't Notice

It's dark as a dungeon and damp as the dew,
Where danger is double and pleasures are few,
Where the rain never falls and the sun never shines
It's dark as a dungeon way down in the mine.

Plllog- that so sweet.

You're a poet
And don't even know it!

o

Nope. Don't know it at all. Credit Merle Travis.

o

Oooops. No sample there anymore. Try Amazon. Scroll down for samples.

o
Colorama

but I never thought about displaying them, or any other pots.

Surprised the Marketers here haven't seen the light bulb go on. Except Le Crueset which technically is foreign. But German Silit obviously saw the opportunity as well.

Makes sense really. If we pride ourselves in nice tableware, cutlery etc. why should the pots be industrial? The classic modern example of displaying and coloring things up is the new rave in colored Clothes Washers and Dryers.

This one really amazes me. Suddenly by painting an electronic box Chilli Red, Cobalt Blue, or Chocolate Brown, the price of a Washer triples!!! And even I think it's cool and feel compelled to jump on the bandwagon. But not at triple the price of my faithful, modest, $600 LG in good old White.

That is great Marketing. Motivate people to realize how blase their environment really is and that their product will change and better your life.

Thank God I won't have a fruit basket above it and I can get Chilli Red. When prices reach the magic $600 mark that is :)

o
You're a...

I think I know where you're coming from Plllog

Here is a link that might be useful: You're

o
Wait a second!

Maybe the Rustic Mexicans were truly ahead of their time, thousands of years ago. And they're the real trendsetters.

Aha! Cookware should bebeautiful and decorative and proudly displayed.

Here is a link that might be useful: The REAL Trendsetters

o
A Little Art

But wait, there's more!

Here is a link that might be useful: Work of Art Cookware

o

Some truth to that, but most everyday use stuff is long destroyed. It's the special ones that are treasured and survive. I don't ever think of displaying dishes, either, though I do have some "special" items that are for art not for use.

With pots it's like armour and clothing: What remains isn't average stuff. Most is really small. The people weren't on average that small. The larger stuff got used and reused and altered and used again. No one else could fit in the tiny stuff.

Re washers, yeah, amazing how they con people into these things. If it just so happens to come in the most perfect color for your room, why not? But I've seen so many people by candy apple red that looks so good in a store full of white and stainless, and then get it in their little laundry rooms and suffer suffer suffer.

o

Part 1X? Must be some kind of record.

The ebay item looks more like a souvenir. Old Mexican clay is very collectible now. The bean pot is nice, but looks like a "unitasker" and might not stand up to regular use. With limited display and storage space, choose those items that work best. Of course, color can be part of what works best. I do think there is some beauty in utilitarian objects, the functional form and patina of use is sometimes all the "decoration" needed. I have a yellow ware bowl that belonged to DH's grandmother. I know she never looked twice at it, but I display it on the kitchen sill.

After several frustrating years with a fancy HE front loader I am back to the standard top loader with dials. It's water saving because I don't have to run loads twice and saves plenty of energy--mine!

o

LOL!! Steff, love your description of the front loaders. ;D

Hmpf. We need Missy to challenge us not to use keyboard smileys.

o

Hail people of Ix! If you want to have your pots match, do not forget that Le Creuset makes an actual goosepot! (duck, duck, duck...)

o

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Shhhhhhh! Close your eyes. Take a DEEP breath.

We are now entering the deep, dark, unknown Galaxy of 1X, going where no one has dared to go.

Where conventionalism is defied and everything is up for question.

Exploding Pinyatas, Street Fiestas, Steaming Hot Tamales, Pet Dolphins, Red Poppies, and Pink Champagne.

It is about the true realization of our inner being... that I just burned my Tamales in the Toaster oven!

o
Goosed.

To the Organizers of the Le Crueset Festival, we demand a photo of the goosepot.

But... pity the poor souls that may rest within it :(

o
Whistle Whistle.

That's funny our Canary usually hops into the cage for some seed right about now but looks like she's still in transit.

o

LOL!!! I know you think I live online but I really do have a real life life. I didn't post a picture of the goosepot because it just looks like a big oval pot. But it's 15.5 quarts.

o
Eureka

Aha!!! I just bethought me of an unquestionable problem with an insulator lid. If you put the pot in the wee bairn of an oven it won't trasmit heat as well. You need at least one proper Dutch oven.

o

Hiya - I have some serious goose pot cravings now. Thanks a LOT!!! I am imagining a lovely turkey simmering in one as we speak. If anyone ever sees one of those on a decent sale puleeeeze lemme know k?

I love love love my dutch ovens (plain old heavy duty cast iron). We use em when we're camping. I make everything and anything in them.

I have a couple of pots with glass lids and I don't really like them. Over time they get cloudy and just look dirty, even though they are as clean as a whistle. I haven't tried CLR yet, in case it's hard water build up, but I really don't think that's what it is.

This is a bad place for me to hang out - I keep feeling like I NEEED all of this stuff that I really don't. My hubby will soon ban me from the computer I think. Thankfully I've never felt the need for one of the colourful monster washer/dryer sets. I still use my old (bought when we were married a hundred years ago) washer and gas dryer. They do exactly what I need them to, when I need them to, and as long as they do so - I am content. :o)

We're off to IKEA today to get the cabinets. They will sit in the corner of the LR until such time as we're ready for them (still a long ways off I fear)

Have a good one, people of IX!!

o
RE: pots and armour and clothing, Oh My!

plllog, I think you nailed it on the head with this one. I've often wondered about 'old things' and whether the ones that survived were useful or 'just for show'. You put it perfectly, thank you!! :o)

o
Holy Goosepot Batwoman!

I hope they don't put the poor soul in there alive.`

o
Houston We Have A Problem

Was wondering why I woke up sniffling with a runny nose.

Heater shut down during the night. Temp about 12C inside. Should be 22C my normal setting.

Looks like -18 C is having impact on the house.

Yikes, $ervice call coming up.

o

Yikes is about right. That's too cold to have the heat out. Hope you have some space heaters to take the chill off. We begin the warm up today. At 8oC already and the sun is out.

Burned the tamales? Down here in tamale land we are pretty much done with them by Christmas. No one wants to look at them for a while.

Missy - How exciting that you are getting your cabinets today. I'm sure they'll look just fine in the LR for a year or
so. I've had a copper sink and lots of other reno stuff in the DR for about that long.

Le Creuset has outlets here in the US, but none in Canada. The prices are nicely discounted, but you can do almost as well looking for sales on line. I will give you permission not to get the goosepot. Nice to envision, but you likely already have something that works.

o

Yikes! Poor Solman!! Not having heat at +18 C is bad enough. Can you get someone out today? Or do you have somewhere to go? Wrap up well, huh?

Missy, I see something like that goosepot and get the wants too. Sorry about the shared cravings. My roaster is the Ecuadoran thin enamelled steel and seems to work perfectly well, and I can up it up on a high shelf. As opposed to trying to get a 25 lb. roaster containing a 25 lb. bird, plus stuffing, wine, and roots, in and out of the oven. Yikes! (Of course, if someone wanted to give me one I wouldn't refuse...)

o

I don't have a goosepot for Plllog but I do have another little present for her, courtesy of Steff. Thanks Steff! Also, thanks for the sympathy wishes. Murphy's Law struck me at the wrong time. :(

This is plllog:

Smiley. Pictures, Images and Photos

o
IKEA Wishes

Missy-have fun at IKEA! Don't forget the 1/2 price Doppler jars. Great for food storage. By the way, please look inside the 24 inch ovens and let us know if they look reasonable for bird roasting and other such foolishness.

Will attempt my IKEA swap run this week too.

More like a a Vegetable Byrani, my signature dish that I haven't made in say...5 years.

o
Jokers

And I quote the Toronto TV Station Weather News Break just moments ago:

"Good news for Toronto, the deep freeze is over! Warm temps are here, today we have Minus 8 right through to Friday."

SNEEZE;;;;

o
This Just In From Mexico!

My friend wrote:

"Gas stove are not a mexican kitchen feature, mexican traditionally cook on "comal" a steel plate heated by a coal fire, you find that in the restaurants and it is then called "plancha" and heated by gas or electricity , so you must not have any doubt in discarding these horrible Ikea stove and go to a modern "comal" even if it look a little too big for your kitchen top, black go well with yellow so don't worry.

Now on your health study it was a little funny to read that gas combustion is bad because it produce water vapor ,when you heat water for your tea you anyway saturate your kitchen with water vapor, for the contaminants I will agree but walking 5 minutes in a town you will also saturate yours lungs with enough contaminants to kill an elephant."

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Mexican Cooking!

o
Aha

This is truly a great moment! A light bulb going on moment.

Thank you Jean in Mexico. OMG even Mexico is looking at our thread. Yeaaaah we're World Famous guys. Really, France, UK, have also been in here.

Back to the great news. When I was in Guatemala, I could not believe the taste of the Tortillas. I LOVED them!! Now this coming from a guy who couldn't stand even the smell of Tortillas let alone eating them, in Mexico. So why the difference? I thought it was the Masa and the method. All of Mexico are machine made, literally on conveyer robotized contraptions. Guatemala's are ALL hand made and roasted. I still could be right 50 %. But the other 50% is WHAT they are made on.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the missing link of Tortillalization. It;s the Comal. Made from irreplaceable flavor enhancing Clay. Just like Indians and Naan bread made in a Tandoor. CANNOT be duplicated by steel, metal, aluminum etc.

For the record, I still can't stand the smell or taste of Mexican Tortillas to this day. I ALWAYS leave them or throw them out in any restaurant in Mexico.

Guatemala, I'll stuff my face until I can no longer breathe. The difference is that great.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Missing Link of Tortillalization

o

ROTFLWarm temps are here, today we have Minus 8 right through to Friday.

Gesundheit <--[German to match your cooking dreams]

o

I see plllog decided to break out the rofl smiley.

Comal County is really named after the Mexican comal. For tortillas, it's what you are used to. We enjoy the fresh tortillas produced by the robotic contraptions because it's better than making them at home.

o

Couldn't help it, Steff. It's so funny! I feel so bad for Solman to be without heat in that. It was 72 F when I was out today. Didn't stop some silly woman from wearing a mink tippet in Whole Foods. I mean, it's pretty chilly in there, but a cotton sweater is perfectly adequate, and mink with jeans is just a no-no.

Yes, tortillas should be made on a comal. But we have handmade tortillas available in Calif. I'm sure they're also available all over Mexico. Just not in the resort restaurants. Didn't stop me from buying the hybrid kind at the store: Organic, vegetarian, whole wheat tortillas. Yum! Though, come to think of it, another thing that makes some tortillas tastier than others is the lard de puerco.

Hey, Solman! Amy says hi!

o

and mink with jeans is just a no-no.

Uh-oh better notify the NYC fashion police asap. It's quite a common sight there, especially for dog walking. Of course a mink tippet at the Whole Foods in LA does sound a bit out of place. Kinda like the coworker who wore fur to a meeting at WWF.
Omg! 0Blush0

As far as traditional Mexican kitchens and the comal thing, I think I'll borrow something plllog said recently on another thread. You're going for the idea of a Mexican kitchen and not trying to recreate the original. In researching this project we've seen plenty of modern looking kitchens for sale in Mexico.

Hope you've got the furnace repaired.

o

Ewwwwww. Fur.

That is soooo yesterday and insensitive.

Stef you couldn't have said it better:

Of course a mink tippet at the Whole Foods in LA does sound a bit out of place. Kinda like the coworker who wore fur to a meeting at WWF.

Here is a link that might be useful: And People Willingly Pay To Do this?

o
And Then There Was Heat!

Well, the furnace is fixed. Sort of.

I didn't bother being meat for the Vultures, as in "Oh you need an emergency Sunday call which is $$$$" So I went down, six feet under, looked at the Furnace, flicked the On off switch and presto! it started recycling and igniting. And then there was heat. Not bad for an Amateur. So what I'm thinking is that this could be like an awakening to my new career. Mr. Furnace.

o

You're going for the idea of a Mexican kitchen and not trying to recreate the original.

Exactly. Thanks Stef for the reminder. We are Mex-Fusion. I did like my friends suggestion of getting some Comal pans. I had lunch again today at the Teppanyaki place in the Mall and really enjoyed it.

Seems to be a common denominator. Le Creuset, cast iron, "modern" Comal.
Also, Induction requires serious mass and weight in cookware to stop any vibrating and shaking annoyances.

By the way I was fibbing a little. On my last Mexico trip I did eat maybe 2 Tortillas a couple of times. Both times with Mole where I literally cleaned the Mole sauce off the plate with the Tortillas.

o

LOL! Mr. Furnace, I congratulate you on your new career. And I'm so glad you're warm! I wonder if something froze during the night and just needed to be reset. But that does give you the money for your goosepot!

Steff, I can totally see the jeans and fur thing in Texas. I so don't fit in in Texas. I don't own enough make-up. :) At least for Houston. But the great thing about Texans is that while I've heard them snarking on each other (like for not wearing enough make-up), they seem plenty generous and tolerant of outsiders.

To give WF lady her due, I think it was probably an old piece. The anti-furbies are always saying that it's okay to wear old fur, though if I believed against I wouldn't do that either. The only fur I've ever owned is acrylic. Not counting my Canadian moccasin boots with the rabbit shafts. But the alternative to fur is petrochemical based and created through toxic processes. I don't find that superior.

Though I do believe that all domestic animals deserve to be treated well and properly with agricultural ethics. That includes dogs and fish. I really hate seeing reef caught fish pent up in aquariums, though I can tollerate goldfish and koi (in ponds). And I get really bothered by people who are never home but keep a dog cooped up alone inside. Not all mink ranchers treat their animals so poorly as the ones the antis are exclaiming over. They can't. It's bad for the fur. Just like not all chicken ranchers keep the chickens in bad environments, for similar reasons. Some are just horrid.

Just for fun

o
Oh Amy, I will be YOUR Knight In Shining Armour

Hey, Solman! Amy says hi!

Plllog- If you see Amy again, can you tell her I think she's really HOT and I love her Tamales and can't wait to taste them again! And after you tell her, just hand her the iPhone with my number and ask her to press the CALL button please. Promise I'll treat her well.

o

Oooh! One of my favorite double doubles (not including the world famous In 'n Out Burger)! L.A. also has a world famous attraction, The La Brea Tar Pits, otherwise known as The The Tar Tar Pits. Of course, they named the street/neighborhood after the tar swamp. Speaking of which, there's also The Swamp Blvd. (La Cienega), and the Dry Gulch Parkway (Arroyo Seco), which make me smile.

And "mole sauce" makes me smile too. Tortillas are meant for mopping things up with. But "mole" means sauce. :)

o
Le Creuset Goodies

Look What I found!

"Cadmium is another problem. Le Creuset admits there's cadmium in their reds, yellows and oranges, but says they use a special glaze to contain it. It's right on the website. You might cook on the inside, but when these pots are heated who knows what's being released from the glazes into the air. They change color from the heat, so the glaze is being chemically changed when heated."

o

Alarmism. They chemically bond the cadmium and pass California and UK toxics laws. You inhale cadmium anywhere there's motor vehicle exhaust. The problem was with poorly glazed pots many decades ago which had all sorts of heavy metals in their interior glazes. Your oven can't get hot enough to melt the glaze on a cast iron pot.

If it makes you uncomfortable don't buy warm colored pots. Or anything with red, orange or yellow paint (of which almost all contain cadmium), and you should probably pass on those sunshine yellow Talavera tiles.

Reality: Don't store alcohol or honey in lead crystal, and don't drink out of lead crystal glasses very often. Don't walk on busy streets. And beware of what's leaching into your ground water.

o

..and if you think about it too much, be careful when you don that tin foil hat because it's really aluminum.

As a child, I learned to never cook with or eat from Mexican made cookware or tableware because they had lead and other toxins in the glazes.

Glad you fixed the furnace, it's way too cold to go without heat.

o

Oh no plllog, we can't pass on the Red, Yellow, Orange! They're the most exciting colors in the Palette.

But good research. Looks like you heard this one before. These cast irons look so robust.

Also the German Enamel on Steel are being pushed to a health market free of Nickel.

Stef- The Mexican Terra Cotta cookware is full of lead so good thing you avoided it. I only discovered this last year after my Mexico trip where I bought some of it for this new Kitchen. Then I bought Lead Test kits and they had HEAVY lead content. Now I will use them as ornaments on top of the cabinets. Actually they're beautifully rustic.

Now there is a non profit group who is educating Mexican Pottery Artisans of the 'lomo" danger of their glaze and showing them how to use safer non leaded glaze. Hopefully, we are eating from this new generation stuff soon.

o

That is really good info Solman because I had heard the lead problem had been solved years ago. I have a few in a cabinet, but they were fired on low heat and too fragile to use daily anyway which is another problem they need to resolve. Did you find the lead in Talavera or other items?

o

Glad you're being reasonable about this Solman. The thing is that heavy metals, especially lead, make things bright and sparkly. And lead will leach out of cyrstal and glazes, especially when there are acids involved. Did you test your tiles? It might be good to remember what you've said above and remember not to put comestibles directly on the counter.

I think it's really important to develop a good sense of what is fact, what is potentially true, and what is propaganda. A good propagandist, like Michael Moore, can take a whole bunch of relatively true things and produce a sparkling cloth that presents them in such a way that the conclusions seem self-evident. But when you tug on one thread you find out that they're not connected at all, and the whole thing falls apart.

Propaganda is exciting. It's supposed to be. It's created to play on your emotions. It purports let you in on a secret, too, which is enticing, and blames the big bad They, which is comforting. Some true believers create propaganda by instinct in their desperation to obtain converts. Most are more selfish and do it to aggrandize themselves and make themselves feel important, to create a purpose for themselves and get other people to notice them. And some are extremely cynical, and are looking for followers to get their way, knowing that if they can't do it with plain truth, they can if they embellish and turn their cause into something really urgent.

You can inoculate yourself. Check out any claims with sources that are well known and unbiased. Check the citations and resources that purport to back up the claims. And beware of anything that's supposed to be factual that's written to provoke an emotional response. Le Creuset admits... like they've been accused of a crime and come clean. As opposed to "Le Creuset is upfront about..." or "Le Creuset address the concern..." which make Le Creuset sound benevolent, or "It says on the Le Creuset website that..." which is pretty neutral. Loaded words shape perception. They make for a more exciting story. But if you translate it back into neutral, you'll get a better handle on the story.

o

Excellent insight into how these things work, plllog. I've read it twice and learned a thing or two.

Standing ovation from here!

o

Very well said, plllog!

Steff, I LOLed at your 'year long in the LR' comment. Hopefully they won't sit there that long .... (very cute smiley btw - I may need to steal borrow that one.) I appreciate your permission to not get the goose pot.

Sorry that you're dealing with the cold now. :( It's no fun at all .... we're basking in the balm of a chinook (yay) and it's about 12 C here now.

Solman, sorry I didn't see your query asking me to look at the stoves before I left, so I didn't take any measurements (actual or visual) of the ovens at IKEA. I did open one and think that it would be too small for our family. I do not know what size it was though. For you (one person or two) it likely would have been just fine. When our kids are not home I tend to use our little toaster oven a lot more than the big oven - we just don't need as much stuff cooked when they're not here.

We did get the cabs wooooo. Now we just gotta finish the ceiling so we can install the window and then them. I think I mentioned that my hubby is going to make the door/drawer faces, so that will be the last thing to happen. I am not in a hurry for them - once I have some proper cabs/storage again.

o

Congratulations on filling your living room, Missy!! yeehaw Hoping it all goes forward as planned. Did you tell us what you got? Did you get any of those fancy organizing inserts? Drawers? Pullouts? Cool stuff?

P.S. thanks for the ovation. Photobucket

o

Hi Plllog, our kitchen won't be fancy - mostly utilitarian. It's also pretty small. The whole reason we are doing the reno was to add a window. I think I suffer a bit from 'SAD' due to our low light in the winter. We decided to try to open up the kitchen a bit and put in a much larger window to see if that would help. So, we're adding a 10 foot window (instead of the 3 foot one that's there). That means we will no longer have any uppers on that wall, and so in order to get the missing storage had to make the island bigger. In order to make the island bigger we had to remove 2 partial walls, which means we have to redo the ceilings and floors (hardwood wooo) and well, you get the idea. lol

We are putting in all drawers in the lowers, and will have very few uppers, only above the stove and on either side. We'll have a very small pull out pantry as well, on the far side of the fridge. (Maybe I'll see if I can save and upload the final version of our IKEA made plan. I'm kinda shy to post it on the main forum, because it's so small and 'plain jane'.) We are going to use the 10% gift cards we got back (due to the sale up here) to buy all the fancy drawer inserts and other funky doo-dads that we wouldn't have otherwise purchased.

o
screenies

Ok, I did a quick screen print. Here's the basic layout. The short wall (by cupboard #17) was much longer before, and had both uppers and lowers on it.

There was another 1/2 wall in line with the stub wall by the fridge.

The pull out pantry will go on the side of the fridge. It won't go on the IKEA planner, because we have to customize it as they don't make one the size we need.

On the other side of the wee wall by the fridge are stairs going down.

On the close side of the island is our LR. The table/chairs are in the area by the patio doors. Hopefully this makes sense. :o)

(sorry for the mini-hijack, solman)

o

Whoaah, boy ( I mean girl) has there ever been some action around here.

Yes Plllog, so eloquently put. Good points. After reading your post, one word came to mind, accountability.

We, North Americans, are guilty of many things. Wastefulness of valuable natural resources, over-consuming (we are 20% of the World's poulation yet we consume more than 50% of the world's resources), over-eating (self-explanatory), and insensitivity to preservation of the Earth (only US and Canada refused to participate in Kyoto).

Back to accountability. If our leaders are not held accountable, as seen with good old George W. who lied, manipulated, and outright deceived the world public for self interest, and the Wall Street CEO's etc, then this propegates an entire society of deception, sensationalism, etc.

Several years ago, my girlfriend from Germany looked innocently at a Restaurant sign in downtown TO that said. Lick's. World's Greatest Burgers, and asked," How can they say that?" My Americanized reply was, because they want to. She concluded, "So in North America anyone can say anything they want'. That is the sad reality of our environment.

For the record, no such nonsense can occur in Germany. Any public statements, claims etc. must be clearly backed with factual, unbiased evidence. And rightly so.

And that leads me to the great German Consumer institutions of Stiftung Warentest which tests the performance of competitive products (like our Consumer Reports) and KO-TEST.

KO-TEST is enviable because they test and evaluate products/services based on healthiness for you and the environmental impact of using the product.

Great Institutions like this keep businesses and people in check. It is also so much easier for everyone to know the truth because after all that is what all consumers are searching for.

I don't have to walk into a Wal Mart and read a propaganda beer display that says Miler High Life "America's Best Tasting Beer"!

I can walk into any German Supermarket and decide, based on the KO-TEST Rating, whether the product is worthy of my basket or not.

This not only becomes a vital comparison tool for consumers but it also rewards companies that produce good products. A "Sehr Gut" KO-TEST Rating is like a sales lottery windfall for a manufacturer. An average or bad rating is a sales dive. But knowing that, the manufacturer is forced to research and produce even better products in future so as to get the elevated rating. Everyone wins and no one can lie.

Here is a link that might be useful: OKO Test

o

Missy-Help! I can't catch up to you Road Runners. Congratulations on the IKEA Kitchen Event, ahh the power of motivational Advertising. I think IKEA have that concept mastered. I wonder if they have the funny Swedish Accent guy in America as we do in our Radio ads.

I almost fell from shock when I saw your floor plan above, it's almost identical to mine less the Island (if only...) next house :)

The window is a great idea. Seems to really open up your plan. By the way, what do you see outside that window? Trees, empty field, another house? I guess your backyard right? But beyond?

Sounds like you got out of IKEA alive as in no big Appliance purchases, sinks, hoods, cooktops, faucets. Speaking of which, did you see The Ladies Man ol Loviken? When I saw him the other day I just cracked up in laughter. I mean he was a serious favorite amongst the Panelists.

This Heat Wave thing is really something. I mean the TO TV Weatherman has us convinced that things are "nice and warm" at Minus 9, so for you at 12C he would likely declare the beginning of Summer 2010 :)

o
But

P.S. thanks for the ovation.

Plllog you're our shining California Star... when it's not raining!

Smiley. Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Hi solman, yes, when you have a little space, there isn't much you can do (with your boxes anyways) to make it different or stand out. I think the differences have to be in door styles, finishes, hardware etc. We can only have an island because we don't have any walls on our main floor (or won't when we're done). We are in a 4 level split, and this is the main floor. It's not very big, just kitchen, eating area, and LR. :o) Out the window is our back yard, alley, and then the back yard of our neighbors. There are a number of trees/shrubs that block the view into their house, so it's not as bad as it might sound. We aren't as tight as those in big cities, but our lots certainly aren't huge. As we get older, it's not such a bad thing!

Yup, we got out of IKEA without any mad purchases. I did sigh a bit over some of the shiney new kitchen pots/bowls/sewing fabric etc, but I haven't anywhere to put things, even if I bought them, so that will have to wait.

Our appliances are all still very functional, and I haven't complaints about them, so we don't need to replace any of them. Even the sink was almost re-used, but I found a fantastic deal on eBay $75 for 33" single bowl drop in sink with rounded corners. :o) I would have loved an old farmhouse sink or Euro style with the drainboards on the sides, but it wasn't meant to be. I'll have to travel a lot and stay in lots of places that have them.

o

Oh, Missy!! Please post about your kitchen plans in the Discussions Forum!! There are probably others who feel overshadowed by some of the big involved projects like mine, and far more of us are doing small, and normal and need advice, examples and encouragement. Your kitchen might not be huge or anything, but your job isn't small or a nothing. You're adding a huge window and taking down two walls!

Plus, you might get a few good ideas from the comments (you don't have to listen, but it's worth getting them). I'll start the ball. Is #2/white thing the sink? If so, I'm wondering if you can move it to the right a little so that there's room for one person at the sink and one at the stove.

Thanks for sharing the layout. It looks great! I love these new windows that let people in your climate have big windows and sliding glass doors.

o
BIG News

Missy!

You'll never believe it, Just saw the CBS Evening News and Miami is 0C. So, you are actually hotter than Miami! That means Tiger should buy a Condo in Alberta not Florida.

I mean this has serious implications. Alberta could be the new Winter Sun Destination for Americans. We need Palms! But we do have the Glacial Lakes and we can always throw some sand along the edges. Beach Umbrellas, hmmm we need to improvise there. Let's forget those.

Stef, NOW I can understand why all the panic in your parts. Those Sun Belters just haven't met Ol Man Winter. Actually, I think as a Canadian Snowbird in Florida I would be really depressed to feel this since that's what I ran from.

o
bwack bwack bwack bwack (think clucker)

Hi plllog, #2 white thing is the DW. The sink is to the right of it with a pull out trash to the right of it (sink). I would have loved to swap the DW to the other side of the sink, as that's where the dishes are stored, but there just isn't enough room to stand and unload the DW and put dishes away unless we push the sink closer to the stove. We don't really want to push the sink down for the reason you mentioned, and as it is, it sits dead center in the window.

O I hear you on the big windows!! They are fantastic now! We are going to replace our patio doors next summer/fall too, which should make a big diff. They are currently french doors (very old and yukky) which block a lot of light. I think new sliders should give much more actual 'glass' space, rather than frame space. We face West, which gives lots of good light through most of the year, although I would love more South exposure, but the rest of the house interferes ;oP

I guess the other reason I'm scared to post there is because our plans are pretty much set (I think). We are on such a limited budget, and space is tight etc that I'm afraid I'll hear a fantastic idea and won't be able to implement it. I have a tendency to obsess over things, and want to really really enjoy the fact that I have a new kitchen, and not forever think 'if only' .... silly, I know. Perhaps I could state something along the lines of 'this is pretty set, but I'd love organizational ideas' or something like that. I dunno lol I think I really am just a big chicken.

o
Alberta is the new Winter Sun Destination for Americans

lol solman, I said something along those lines to hubby yesterday. It's warmer here than the beaches in FL. I would be SO MAD if I'd paid for a holiday there this Jan, only to end up in that!! I do feel awfully sorry for them though. I bet the cost of fruits will be affected.

o

Solman,

You make my point for me again. Consumer Reports has a couple of very well known biases. They're just not commercial ones, which is a good thing in a quasi-free market economy. I don't know if the German equivalents are biased or not, but they probably have their own sets of prejudices.

I would much rather someone be able to say "world's best" as advertising hyperbole than have it forbidden!! In the U.S. there are consumer protection laws that protect people from false claims, but those are applied to egregious violations, not figures of speech. That kind of humourless authoritarianism may go over well in Germany, but in the U.S. (and probably Canada too), the response would be, "prove it isn't!" But if they said, "Certified by the XYZ Authority to be the best burger in the world," they'd have to back that up.

I agree about accountability and paying for what you use, but resource consumption statistics are determined by wealth not population. Wealth creates production which creates wealth. As China's and India's populations are moving into the middle class they are demanding and consuming the same resources. As well as air, water, and space, of which we, in North America, have an abundance that we guard jealously.

I've forgotten a lot of what I knew about the Kyoto Protocols, but remember, it's really easy for small poor states to sign their names to a plan that basically doesn't affect them. It's also really easy to sign a piece of paper and not live up to the promise. The U.S. has a terrible history of that. I would much more prefer that we didn't sign, knowing we couldn't meet the deadlines, than sign and be called liars. And for all that we didn't sign, a lot is being done here toward the goals of the protocols, and a lot of the technologies that will conserve natural resources and make it possible for emerging economies to experience the same wealth that we have had are created here.

And this is what I was saying. A balanced and complete understanding cannot be achieved by throwing out a few impassioned statements and self-serving statistics. These statistics are created by choosing to count this, and not that in order to make a case. That's the meaning of "lies, damned lies and statistics." Numbers are particularly easy to manipulate, and they sound oh so scientific to the people who don't deal with them every day and know well what goes into them and what doesn't.

That's why it's important to take a more nuanced approach to issues rather than buying a line that someone else is purveying.

o

Missy, please do post over on the discussion forum. Many times it is the small diy projects that get the most input. And what an opportunity to make sure that this layout works with ready access to experts who enjoy the challenge.

Looked up the difference in light and we get 2.5 hours more light a day than you do. That is a significant difference especially when combined with the cold and the long winters you have there.

o

Ah! Travel agent hype: Florida is hot in Winter and L.A. is sunny in Summer. Neither of which is really true. LOL!!

Missy, I totally get the point! And your plan makes so much sense--it's a DW! Sorry for being so dense. But please do post once the cabinets are in or something so that other smaller kitchen people can be inspired.

o

Steff, I will definitely think about it. I've seen some of your suggestions/ideas and I'd love to get your input. Maybe I'll take some time tomorrow and do some screenshots/scans with measurements etc. Ikea isn't very 'friendly' in that sense. The plans have to be printed in order to have any measurements/details show up. Honestly, I want to post, but but but ... Maybe I have to look at it as a self discovery lesson on 'learning how not to obsess and just be happy with what can be done' :o) The level of expertise there is really mind boggling. I have learned SO MUCH just from lurking, it's really incredible. It boggles my mind how much free, fantastic, and highly appropriate info is given out.

Plllog, You are not dense, my screenshots are just sadly lacking in detail. I greatly admire your expertise, and highly value your opinions In addition you have a wonderful way of communicating exactly what you are trying to. I will for sure post 'before' and 'after' pics. My hubby is a fantastic DIYer, and I like to show off his handiwork. :o)

o

I have a tendency to obsess over things, and want to really really enjoy the fact that I have a new kitchen, and not forever think 'if only' .... silly, I know.

I think I can relate to that LOL!

Actually Missy, don't worry. In a way I'm glad that I let "if only" into my Kitchen because ultimately YOU GUYS made it better. Just 2 months ago, I was going to have Honey Pine Cabinets (still not bad) but Black Appliances. Black Acrylic Sink, and no cute Green accents, IKEA Pewter Pulls, crown moulding in the soffts, Xenon Under cabinet lighting etc. Three minds are greater than one and three highly trained design minds like our wonderful gang are a real asset. Like a Driving Instructor that can see ahead of the road before you get into trouble. I always admired Ms. Wonderful in the way she approached a project visually and plotting things out in her mind. Good creative people do that and do it well.

I guess I could have done it differently and more calculated but again, like business it's good to react and change to market conditions. My original purchase and Floor Plan was Stainless Appliances, Wood Countertop, Gas Stainless Cooktop, Hardwood Floor. Today I have none of those from Plan 1 and thankfully so. Somehow, time always works in your favor in delaying these Kitchen Renos. You find the better sink, the perfect shade of Floor, the right faucet, etc. The key is how long you can afford to struggle without a functioning Kitchen. I think I've pushed that envelope to its limit Green Smiley guy Pictures, Images and Photos

P.S. When the bulk of serious stunning Reno design was done here, Ms. Wonderful sent me on a dream photo shooting trip to Brazil for 2 and a half months. And when I returned, I almost fainted when I saw the newly transformed house. Bellisimo!

No such luck this time.

P.P.S.- I remember you asked me to show the pathetic faucet that I almost used and sent back just before X-Mas. So, if everyone promises not to laugh, especially the LOL Smiley right on his back, I'll expose it.

Here is a link that might be useful: It

o
RE: and more

Missy, I posted before seeing your explanation about putting your kitchen on the discussion side. It makes sense and there is always that point where you say this is such an improvement that I will love working in this new kitchen so it's time to move forward on this plan.

Well said again, plllog. I love that every burger place can claim to be the best in town and I get to choose whether I think that's true or not. Honestly, we don't need a bureaucrat for that. Of course we need quality standards and we already have plenty of those.

o
changes, changes, everywhere

Yes, you've had some wonderful help here from some great advisors, solman! :o) I don't think we could afford to make the kinds of changes you've made in your plans, however. lol A trip to Brazil would certainly be a nice thing too!!

That faucet really is uh um well - shall we say that your new one will work much better in your fun, colourful, Mexican themed kitchen?

o
It is okay, but not that great

It's not that bad, but it doesn't have the character and presence of Portland. I had the Moen version and the roller ball part that holds the lever gets gunky fast and it's not easy to clean.

o

quote ... there is always that point where you say this is such an improvement that I will love working in this new kitchen so it's time to move forward on this plan.
I love this ... you said it perfectly.

This kitchen is not 'my dream kitchen'. I likely will never have that. But - it will be new, and fresh, and light filled, with lots of good storage drawers, and we will use the 'non kitchen spent' monies to travel, and do other charity type things that are important to us, so it's a trade off I think I can live with. Well, slight rephrase - it's a trade off I choose to live with. :o)

o

Hello Plllog,

This is The Ambassador's Office in Ottawa. We're pulling you away from the Art world and into the The new Dep't of Advocacy. We need a strong, impartial voice of reason to clear the way for progress. We'd also like you to help poor Sarah Palin in 2012.

That kind of humourless authoritarianism may go over well in Germany, but in the U.S. (and probably Canada too), the response would be, "prove it isn't!"

I couldn't have said it better. Once I went for a walk in their neighborhood, and asked why all the houses were exactly the same. Same color, same shape, windows, doors etc. Eight or nine in a row. The reply was well that's the city bylaw. And again I asked Why? The answer was so that you have a proper uniform look. But what about individualism? I asked. The reply was well if House #8 has a Blue front door and House #9 a Green one and House #7 a Yellow one, then the neighborhood would look like a Circus.

So, it is true, believe me, that Germany is DEFINITELY not a country of humor, it's deadly serious, and very used to "rules". The whole society is based on rules or as you put it "Authoritarian" rule. Maybe a little historic?

And everything seems perfect. The cars are the best, the Appliances, the Machines, Cosmetics, the Athletes, on and on. So there is obviously benefit in living regimented and in rules. The people are much more productive and clinical in execution in the workplace. Deadly efficient. But are they happy? (Is this Solman's desire to be a Sociologist? which was his early career ambition)

We are not nearly as straight and rigid; and come to think of it, maybe that's a good thing. I mean we know that Lick's baiting us that they have the "Best Burger in The World" is really self made gossip and we immediately account for that and enjoy the silliness. Because we just don't take life that seriously.

But I do still admire German Society for their desire to want credible testing and health facts on all consumer goods (not just Toaster Ovens, Flatscreen Tv's, Automobiles and Refrigerators) including food, personal cosmetics, clothing etc. As in what will this product do to my health?

o
The Food

Oh forgot something, the food too.

Wasa Bread is amazing. Tried some imitation British Ryvita once and actually threw it in the garbage. It was that bad.

And as I discovered recently Homeopathic Medicine and Nature Kosmetik is another area of mastery.

Has anyone tried Weleda products?

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Stuff

o
Well Said Missy.

and we will use the 'non kitchen spent' monies to travel.

I'll second that!

It's like everything. When you're in it deep, it all seems so important. When it's done with, it's like why did I waste so much time on it?

o

The pom graphic is pretty and they are really good for you. My poms are frozen so I may not have any this year.

"poor" Sarah Palin? She made millions on her book, gets six figures for a speech, has zillions of facebook followers, and almost everything she says makes news.

o

You see, we have that in the U.S. too!! It's called a Homeowner's Association. The difference is that people actually sign on for these voluntarily, to have their neighbors tell them what color to paint their doors.

We also do a have system for informing people about what's healthy for them and all. The difference is that a lot of Americans just don't care enough to pay attention. ;)

Like in everything else, I look for moderation. Play and humor are important. Work and productivity are important. Balancing all of it is the trick.

One of my favorite stories is about a successful Silicon Valley tech firm. Rather than the standard, post-graduate-school accouterments of air hockey, and the like, the man believed that his employees should have a life. He opened the doors at something like 8:00 a.m. and locked everyone out at something like 6:00 p.m. (I can't remember the exact hours, but the point is that he locked people out.) So people worked hard during the day even when they felt stuck because they knew they had a finite amount of time to get their work done, and as the boss planned, when they left they got social lives, got married, did community work, attended arts, had families, celebrated holidays, volunteered, etc. They had lives. And they were just as productive, or more so, as their peers at other firms, and were happier, better rested, and very loyal.

Yeah, moderation!

o
Tempted By The Fruit

Oh Missy,

And please quote me.

By the time you actually complete the Kitchen, amazing "forces of Nature" will enter into your mind tempting you to bigger and better things. And that's not so bad.

My recent example is the under counter lighting. I was going to have Xenon just 3 weeks ago, and now I will go to state of the art technology LED. Yeah it's about $120 more than the other but it's crisper, cooler running, better quality light, never change bulbs, save huge $$$ on hydro and just a nice feeling that you did a good thing for yourself and the Earth. You also feel that your Kitchen is the latest in technology, and a true upgrade.

The LED's really blow my mind and are a savior from the ghastly CFL's.

P.S. The best light quality bulbs to date were the GE Reveal Bulbs and YES last Saturday I actually saw them as a new CFL, bulb. Plllog, that's good news for you too since you're sensitive to Frankenstein CFL light. I'll pick some up next time I hit Lowe's.

o

Steff- I never thought of that! I always think of the joke she became during the campaign but you're right. She's cleaning up! Poor John McCain must be watching the girl bankroll in more cash everyday. And without his tipping, she wouldn't have a penny of that right now.

Wonder why anyone would pay to see her. Like what could you possibly gain from listening to nothing? I mean she had to coached on getting Joe Biden's name right for the debate. She called him Senator Obiden. Smiley. Pictures, Images and Photos

o

LOL! Thanks, Solman, but nothing could get me to use a CFL no matter how superior. My power station may not completely power my new kitchen, but it's enough for every incandescent light in the house, and if I feel like squandering the electricity that my house generates on a couple of incandescent bulbs I'm a-goin' to. And I drive a gas guzzler, just not very far. (15 years, 41,000 miles) Call me again when they come up with a good table lamp LED color corrected light bulb. :)

Steff, I don't think we were supposed to respond to that Sarah Palin thing. But, no disrespect to Canadian avian life, just because she's a loon doesn't mean I wouldn't help her with her kitchen. Amazing choice, that was. Makes JDQ look well qualified.

o

Just finished watching Jimmy Fallon's monologue and string of Sarah Palin jokes.

She really is a card of humor.

Plllog-By the way, how did it go today with the tile setters? Do you leave the room and hope for the best? Or do you hover over his shoulder making sure it's what you want? I've got to be prepared too.

Did you opt for a specific grout? Sanded vs Epoxy? Would you consider the Epoxy style an advantage because it comes with Microban? Maybe if it is less porous, it is better for the countertop. The Backsplash doesn't matter as much.

The art and science of grout (cement) is hard to describe to people who are learning about it for the first time.
This is copied and pasted from the Tile FAQ thread in the gallery:

Although there are others, for all intents and purposes, there are two kinds of grout-- portland cement based, and epoxy. The portland cement based grouts are the conventional grouts that have been around for millenniums. Although in the last few decades, they've been modified with latex and other polymers to make them stronger and more resistant to mold and mildew, they're basically the very same grouts that have been used since Greek and Roman days. There are two kinds of portland cement based grouts. One is sanded, and the other unsanded. The only difference between the two is, as their names imply, the sand. The ONLY thing that determines which grout should be used is the joint size. NOT the glaze, NOT aesthetics, NOT the material (ceramic vs. glass or polished marble), NONE of those. I'll repeat-- the ONLY thing that determines which is used, is the joint size. Anything under an 1/8" takes unsanded grout. Anything 1/8" or bigger, you use sanded grout. If you use unsanded grout in larger joints, the cement in the grout will shrink way too much as the water evaporates out of it, and the joints will end up shrinking and cracking bigtime. If you try using sanded grout in smaller joints, the grains of sand will literally clog the top of the joint, and not allow the grout to get down INTO the joint, and the grout will flake off in a matter of days.

As for the Epoxy, most epoxy grouts use a much finer "sand", and therefore can be used in any size grout joint. Further, epoxy grouts are everything people say they are. They're much easier to clean, practically stainproof, and also extremely expensive. Most epoxies will cost atleast 4 times the cost of conventional grouts, and the installer will also usually charge a premium of between 1.50- 2.50 a foot for the use of epoxy grout. There are alot of people who will disagree with me, but my own opinion is that for most residential installations, epoxy grout is bigtime overkill. The ONLY times I'll recommend epoxy grout is first, if you're installing a tile countertop, and two, if you have animals in the house that either aren't housebroken, or are prone to accidents. In either of those cases, epoxy might be worth the money. For anything else, though, conventional grout is more than good enough.

o

I have a master tile setter. He chooses the grout. I choose the color. I choose the tiles and where to lay them. I don't hover.

What you've just posted sounds like Bill V. It also is everything I know on the subject. I have heard that unsanded grout can be used in larger areas if it is done over time in layers that dry hard. But then you can also do wet mortar. Every time I've tried to pin down someone who hates tile on why, other than aesthetics which are a matter of taste, it comes down to poor installation. People buy thinset and a trowel and stick their backsplash tiles right on the wallboard and think that's adequate.

But then they also buy cabinets made out of cardboard and contact paper and complain when they aren't great either. Fake and shiny seems to be more popular than make-do and real, or spend more and quality. If I couldn't afford my beautiful cabinets, and I couldn't afford Big Box good quality cabinets, and I couldn't afford IKEA cabinets, and I couldn't find cabinets on Craig's List or at ReStore, I'd go to flea markets and buy a table and some armoires, or some planks and bricks. Large furniture costs relatively less than small because people have to have places to put it. I'd rather have the wrong ugly cabinet made out of good wood, than pretty new cardboard and contact paper crap that will be awful looking in no time and fall apart as well.

'Course when I lived abroad I had a minuscule kitchen with three cupboards, three drawers, a half sized fridge, two shelves, and a double gas ring on a cart with a couple more shelves. I lived in the middle of nowhere and had no money, so I bought whatever was subsidized and cooked up a storm. I was also bored, and it was something to do. It's a challenge, but I managed to bake cakes and cookies, flatbreads to make tostadas, and all kinds of soups and stews. One of my roommates managed carrot cake, but it was the only one she knew. That, and fried chicken. I cooked everything else. The other one would eat anything, even when I was trying to poison him (a pseudo-chili my mother called "distillate of fire") but I don't remember him ever cooking.

Newsflash: Rain on the way!

o

Listen to the experts on the grout. Sometimes they use different grout for wall and counter, so you have to go with experience there. Hovering is not good, do the layout, make yourself available for questions, and then let the expert go to work.

It's going to be a beautiful day here finally. Ah, the rainy season in California. Rain, rain, rain for days on end and then no rain again for months.

o

Yeah, but come April it's late night, early morning, low clouds, clearing in the afternoon, for six months!

Glad to hear that it's finally beautiful there again Steff, and with Missy toasting in her Chinook, and Solman in his hysterically funny negative temperature, all seems well with the world. There even seems to be a little sun here (which there was none of an hour ago!), before the storm really moves in.

o

"And Solman in his hysterically funny negative temperature, all seems well with the world."

Funny? I think not.

Why you warm weather illegals, we'll have you shipped out to Yellowknife and keep you there, forever! That'll teach you :)

o

Oh Oh, Missy

Our Travel Business may go bust. Miami is due to hit 80F this weekend.

Quick, let's do a last minute seat sale and get them up here fast before they realize.

o

I'm sorry!! I left out a word. It was "warm". Warm temps are here, today we have Minus 8 right through to Friday. Hysterically funny because it's so not warm and not fit for human habitation. I say if you're going to die if you stay outside, move South!!

It snowed on the road south of Whitehorse (or something like that) in August (I slept through it and totally missed it). Thank-you. I'll leave Yellowknife to the natives.

I asked my tile setter about the epoxy grout. He says it finds its own level so it's not great with handmade tiles, it's mostly for things like bathroom floors where you want a truly waterproof situation, and it yellows with age. He doesn't like it for kitchen counters.

o

Plllog-thanks for checking with your tile setter. Yikes, Bill Vincent said in that thread Epoxy for countertops but your guy says no.

Who do we go by? If it means anything, the Bill Vincent comment did not qualify "handmade tiles" like your guy did. Maybe that's a big if.

o

Your goal here is to get informed so you can discuss this with your tilesetter and get his opinion which should count for a significant percentage of the grout vote.

In reading the Bill V. info he says epoxy grout is better for countertops, but is expensive. He didn't say it was the only grout for countertops. Pllog's tilesetter may have found that he prefers to work with a different grout on countertops.

I recommend avoiding sanded grout on the countertop because it will grab and hold stains, especially sticky stuff. Talaveras are uneven so a self leveling grout sounds like a good choice, but a good tilesetter should be expert in application of any grout.

o

"Talaveras are uneven so a self leveling grout sounds like a good choice,"

Thanks Stef,

You may have the magic answer.

Forgot to ask you and plllog about the Le Creusets. Do you use them for everyday cooking? Potato boiling, pasta, rice, steamed veggies etc. Or do you have other pots for that and the Le Creusets for Oven duty?

Plllog hope the tile setting went well for you. Sounds like your guy is top notch so no surprises. How many days will/has he spent to finish the whole thing?

o

Le Creuset is a little too heavy for me to use on a daily basis for boiling. I use stainless for those tasks. The dutch oven is great for stovetop to oven dishes. I have one approx. 1.5 gal and another smaller one. The cast iron skillets are good and I have two of those. For soups and sauces that simmer, I use the slow cooker because the cast iron gets too hot and boils everything.

o

"Talaveras are uneven so a self leveling grout sounds like a good choice,"

No, no, no! According to my guy, that's why you don't want epoxy with varying grout lines. But Steff's absolutely right that you should talk to the tile setter. My guy prefers to properly waterproof rather than relying on the epoxy. He says they've improved epoxy grouts a lot but he wouldn't want to experiment on something like my kitchen. And that they'd come up with a solution for the yellowing in the epoxy finishes they use on fishing poles, but hadn't yet in the grout.

For a DIY it makes sense to use it for a kitchen counter because it helps with the waterproofing. Your tile setter will better know how he wants to handle your particular installation, and if he can't articulate why this product and not that, you need a different tile setter.

Yes, I have a top notch guy, who literally wrote the book.

And, yes, I use my Le Creuset for just about everything. I use my 2.5 qt. soup pot the most. Pasta, couscous, etc. Soup. Stews. I want a larger one for things like spaghetti sauce that get frozen. I love the little white enamelled skillet that came as a lid for a 2 qt. saucepan, but doesn't seem to be on the list any more. It's great for browning a little meat, for making a one off sauce, and things like that. I also more recently acquired a little saucier. I think it's 1 qt. or something. It's fab! I have a large braiser which is a great substitute for a paella pan or a frying pan, or a griddle. I even use my apple shaped tatin for a little skillet sometimes. My 5 qt. oval is a great small roaster, and I've used it for making marmalade too.

I only notice the heavy thing when washing the larger ones, and then I figure it's good for me.

I received the steel Le Creuset enamelled kettle and stockpot as gifts, and use them regularly as well. I don't use the pumpkin that often because the fluted sides aren't that easy, but if I need my other pots for other things it's fine for couscous or whatever. And, of course, for casseroles that also benefit from looking cute on the table. I have a one quart sauce pan with pouring spout (also a gift) that I don't use often. It's perfect for heating a can of soup but I never make cans of soup, and I'm more likely to put frozen homemade soup in the microwave.

For stoneware bakers, I have Bunzlauer, which are hard as rock and which I love. And, as I said before, my covered roaster is Ecuadoran enamelled steel. I presume because it's commonly sold by American companies, that it doesn't have lead. There would have been a stink, and I got it fairly recently. The old Farberware small stockpot comes out for canning the marmalade or making knaedlach. And if I had any reason to make Turkish coffee I'd use my old finjan rather than the 1 qt. saucepan. I have a folding omelette pan I rarely use. It's non-stick and I hate non-stick. Oh! And I have a Le Creuset grill/griddle and press, though I don't know how they'll work with the induction because of the lip. And I have, unused, a fantastic enamelled double grill/griddle with an even deeper lip, but I don't know if it'll fit right on the gas or if it'll be a casualty of the new kitchen.

Yep. Love my Le Creuset.

o

Madam Creuset,

Vous tes dans l'amour.

Plllog looks like you have been christened by the fleur-de-lis.

Well, that 2.5 quart saucepan is your bread and butter, correction couscous.
I was surprised that you liked it for pasta since I imagined the height being too low for boiling and spaghetti. Or maybe you're using the enameled stockpots for that. So you really don't use their French Ovens so much?

And love that Bunzlauer, that caught my eye and interest. Looks nice indeed.

I'll go to Williams Sonoma and check the line more closely. Now that enameled cookware is on my hit list in the new Nickel free era of cooking.

I also found the closest Outlet Store in Grove City PA, so I'll have to get on their mailing lists etc. and maybe head over there one day. Now that the Canadian Dollar is at par with the US Dollar. Amen, and Thank You George W. :)

The ones I see at Marshalls are always seconds, not that that's so bad. $100 for the smallest French Oven.

By the way, was in America today and this time faced the obnoxious Border Guards. I was asked why I was going there and told him to shop. And then I was asked why I come there to shop. With such mind numbing questions, you are forced to stoop to their levels and reply accordingly as in- because I want to. And to help your economy I added.

There are nice ones on occasion but most of my European visitors that I take to Buffalo have also noted the Bulldog mentality of the Customs Inspectors. Hopefully the Canadian side is not as obnoxious in their approach.

Missy do you get that vibe when you go from the Alberta side?

On a more positive note, I had possibly the best fast food in America to date. Chipotle Mexican Grill. What a place, I'm Lovin It! Pardon the borrowed expression. Clean, fresh, healthy, ethical (naturally raised meats) etc. dining The sign said Margarita and Cerveza license pending. Wow, can't wait. It just opened last November and at 9PM today, in Minus 18C, there was a line up!

Actually, I understand why. It's the price of the Subway! And compared to Subway it is Fine Dining. This is a very nice franchise that I could see poised for serious Canadian success. I was surprised by the lack of Mexican decor. But I think that is so overdone, in America, that just Mexican food in a forward, simple decor, is better emphasis on food than mood.

Ironically, in the same Power Mall, recently there was a Don Pablo's Chain Restaurant which was packed with line ups regularly. I was stunned that they packed up and went out of business.

Stef, Plllog maybe you know both these chains.

Stef- looks like you didn't quite share the same sentiment of practicality with those Le Creusets. Not me, but I have heard others also show the same concern with cookware.

Last night I checked the latest Stiftung Warentest ratings of German Cookware
and Tchibo (the German icon of value and voted Most Innovative Retailer a few years ago) was the winner in the test. Their pots were 100 Euros for a set of 3 and beat the big famous German names of Fissler, WMF, and Silit which are four times the price. I was stunned!

The Fissler Profi is physically the heaviest and thickest gauge Stainless Pot I have ever seen yet somehow it did not translate into victory. It was ranked number 6:(

So lighter can be good. And paying more also doesn't mean better. I also loved that these 18/10 Polished Stainless pots had really nice silicone coated handles. After the test, all of Europe sold out of the cookware. What a surprise.

o

The only true cocottes I have is the big oval. But the soup pot (not sauce pan) just has the slanted sides. It's relatively bigger on the top, and smaller on bottom, and has a little more capacity than the same size cocotte. Chefkev once explained why the shape of the soup pot was so good, but I don't remember. There's some kind of scientific reason.

I make spaghetti in it all the time (when I have a kitchen). It used to be that the only De Boles whole wheat pasta made with Jerusalem artichoke flour (the most delicious and toothsome pasta ever) was only in my local stores as spaghetti. I'll tell you a secret: Spaghetti doesn't stay straight as it cooks! Hold one end of the spaghetti, insert the other end into rapidly boiling water. In a second or two it softens. Gently ease the rest in, et voil, cooking a small box of spaghetti in an appropriately sized pot!

The term "French oven" bothers me. It's a Dutch oven. But the company is French and people got confused so they changed it for advertising and it makes no sense any more.

And it's not that I don't like the Dutch Ovens. It depends on what you cook. I don't cook enough casserole kinds of things to really need a straight sided pot, and am more likely to make a shallower thing in the stoneware. What can I say? I like my "soup pot".

The trick to the Bunzlauer is finding the original folk patterns, which I find so much more attractive than the florals they started doing for the export market.

Decades ago I did meet a really obnoxious Canadian border agent, but he was probably having a really bad day or something. They used to have all the mean U.S. ones on the Southern border, but with so many bad people getting Canadian visas in order to get into the U.S. I guess they've put a lot of them up there too. I'm guessing they're obnoxious to see if they get a suspicious reaction.

I like "because I want to". I mean, what better answer is there? "Foreign travel?" "Sightseeing?" "Your tourist traps are livelier?" I'm glad they didn't further harass you for being a smart aleck, but what you said is really the only honest answer.

Chipotle, at least around here, do have Mexican decor. Just no kitsch. But lots of green/white/red. And the food is what's called "casual fresh" or some such absurdity. Not factory style fast food like Taco Bell or Del Taco, not really a "g**go" Mexican restaurant like El Torito. Something in between. And I guess you can't really be choosy in upstate NY. I'm not really a taco stand kind of person, but by repute you should try Tito's Tacos if you get to L.A. Never heard of Don Pablo's.

You know, if you want an authentic look, and good cooking, you could just get Lodge or your local equivalent. I'm a sucker for the pretty colors and love my Le Creuset, but plain ol' cast iron, especially for a frying pan, can't be beat. Excuse me. Skillet. We aren't allowed to say the "f" word. Must say "saut". They must jump, not fry. Just because it's the same danged thing doesn't matter. It's so much Frenchier and healthier if you saut in a skillet.

BTW, sorry to say, I've never heard of any of your German pots. Do you know anyone who has any of them? I wonder what the criteria of "best" are?

Everyone says the best for induction is Demeyere.

I like the slow even heat of cast iron, and I think the it cooks better than a lot of other things I've tried. But I'd be hard put to call any pot the best. It depends so much on your criteria, style and taste. It's like choosing between eggs, oranges and cinnamon.

The thing is, find something that pleases you! And try one, cook with it awhile and add others, or try a different style. It seems so odd to buy a whole set of pots having never used one in that line.

What if you don't like them?

o

Canadian border guards have always been exceptionally polite and welcoming. They clearly understand that Yankee dollars are good.

Of course grout that finds its own level would be the opposite of what you need for irregular tile. What was I thinking? Double emphasis on consulting your tile setter. Experienced tradespeople have each developed their own methods and it's best not to get in their way or take them out of their comfort zone.

I have never been to a Chipotle, but I have heard it is good. It was owned by McDonald's but they recently sold it.
Moe's is similar, and I did have lunch there once and liked the made to order concept. I'm sure Don Pablo's and the other chains serve consistently good food, especially for Buffalo.

The outlets at Grove City are okay, but you'd have to buy a lot of Le Creuset to make it worth the trip. The real draw there is no sales tax on clothing and shoes. Woodbury Common in Central Valley, New York is the best outlet mall, but it's twice as far for you. There are some beautiful little Amish towns and a covered bridge near Grove City, so it's a nice area to visit.

Good recommendation on the Lodge cookware, I was thinking of that too. Other than one memorable dinner party where the host made Cassoulet in a giant Le Creuset dutch oven, I really don't pay that much attention to the cookware in someone's kitchen.

o
RE: Pasta pan

My pasta pan is a Cuisinart 3.5L pan with straight sides. I made the choice because I wanted a narrow diameter pan with high sides for pasta. The idea is to get enough water in the pan to generously cover the pasta so it moves around freely but not to waste water or energy in the process. We have very strict water restrictions here and even a small amount of conservation adds up over a year.

o

Yeah, but Steff, how many people in the world are P.O.'d at Canada? The Canadian world image--for good reason--is nice. Back when Ronald Reagan was dirtying the USA image abroad I was travelling with a group in Europe. My roommate made a point of wearing a Canada flag lapel pin so that people wouldn't think she was American. Because Canadians are nice. I think most of the evildoers who enter Canada are really trying to get into the U.S.

Oh! But you have the snow fest coming, don't you Solman? I suppose there are all kinds of SOB countries lending surly people to Canada to help with the security. ;D

o

Exactly, a few years ago I went to a series of meetings with businesses in Toronto they kept commenting on how nice we were. We thought they expected us to be rude Americans or something.

o

Hah, that's a funny story Plllog. Actually it is still done every day. My buddy just emailed me the other day and asked me to pick up some Canada patches for him the next time we meet. He's American.

BUT, said with extreme caution. This Autocratic Power Mongerer that is our PM, Stephen Harper, is a serious threat to Blackening the "nice" image of Canada. It started when he became Buddy with George W. ::::GASP, something past Canadian PM's have shyed away from and maintained distance. Obama is better, at least in image. Or as he so eloquently put it during his Presidential Campaign "Americans, even if you are not traditional Democrat voters, ask yourself how much lower can we possibly go than where we are today, with a vote for the Democrats?." Brilliant oratory appealing to simplistic reason.

Yesterday's incident was troubling. First we are not America's enemies, we are their neighbor, good neighbor. Second, we are feeding the US economy at the expense of the Canadian economy; an always sensitive issue with Canadian Businesses near the border. Yesterday, I was asked to get out of the car, sit inside the building, and repeatedly asked the same mindless question of where and why I was going there. When I was asked an aggressive, insulting question I had no choice but to defend:

Where are you going? Shopping.

Why are you coming shopping here? Because I want to. (with a friendly smile)

What do you have in the back seat? Clothes.

Where do you buy them? Banana Republic

Why are you returning them? Because I don't want them.

Why did you buy them in the first place? Because I wanted to.

This is the type of behavior and attitude that creates a bad voice for America. It's a shame because the actions of those few affect an entire nation so that they have to wear Canadian Flag patches when traveling.

On another note, the fellow doing the obnoxious screening on me was a totally uneducated, kid. Appealing to his sense of reason was like talking to a Squirrel. It's just no point. Sadly, the whole thing was such a humorous sitcom that I just let it all unfold. Had I been with family or Tourist Visitors, I would not stand for such ignorance and immediately talk to a Supervisor.

But yes, this happens everywhere. Unfortunately, sometimes putting a simple badge on someone's body can have amazing influence on their psyche.

o

Solman, that kind of scrutiny sounds like there was a particular threat they were looking for with little info. Like maybe your kind of car driven by a man 25-60. Believe me, this isn't the kind of thing that gives the U.S. a bad reputation. Try making whatever promises are necessary to meet an objective and telling people they'll be protected then turning our backs on them instead of trying to keep the promises. Or having one set of rules for Americans, but cozying up to horrible regimes that don't care for freedom or human rights because it fits some politician's agenda. So the bus driver in that country sees American TV dramas and hears suspects read their rights, and being let go by the police who don't have cause to arrest them, or people calling our leaders buffoons on international TV without any governmental interference, and thinking the US must be a really great place....until those buffoons send money and soldiers to keep the local bad guys in power. People really hate that! Lots worse than a surly border guard. I've had Germans and Austrians do pretty much the same thing to me, and an immigration agent in England do the lite version, and after being pulled over by the border patrol for the umpteenth time, when I was in college, to have them inspect my car and poke my dirty laundry bag, I finally snapped back at them with the why are you hassling me? speech. That was at 2:30 am. I don't know if they thought I was cute and passed the word, or what, but that was the last time I had the pull over inspection. Americans are, by and large, generous, kind and hospitable. Even New Yorkers, whose reputation is otherwise. But American cops and agents do tend to be surly. It might keep a few Solmans of the world from wanting to come shopping here, but it doesn't the rest of the world from wanting to live here.

You're so right about the badge thing. Plus there's the whole thing where people who want to be able to push other people around but have none of the personality or smarts to do so go out for jobs like that. And then there's the...I can't spell German, and don't even know if I'm pronouncing it correctly, the Umstance Komissar. A very useful expression of my auntie's. The petty dictator of his tiny sphere of authority.

o

The petty dictator of his tiny sphere of authority.

Straight into your folder of Gems Plllog! I love it.

At the Hamburg Airport about 4 years ago, I was leaving for Canada and the German Customs guy was inspecting my bags VERY RUDELY and aggressively. My German Girlfriend, at my side, observed the whole incident and we made eye communication. After he was finished I gave her the nod to proceed and looking straight into his eyes said in English something like:

"You know your pathetic public behavior that you just displayed is what gives poor Germans like us such a bad reputation in the World. Hopefully you don't use the same level of manners when you go home today."

It was priceless and she was already primed for the speech from our numerous Buffalo shopping excursions to USA. One is intimidated to do it in a foreign country but much more capable in one's own place. They, the Inspectors, know that.

o

Nah. They just thought I was a terrorist. Or sleeping with one.

o

I don't think it is Steven Harper that is blackening Canada's image, but I don't really want to get into politics here. :O)

As far as cross border shopping, we don't go down from here, due to the length of the drive. As far as I know there aren't many major shopping areas along the AB/Montana/Idaho border. I could be wrong, I've never really looked into it. We have gone across many times in BC - have always been treated well going in both directions. The only time there was a hint of a possible problem was when my oldest was very young. He's very blonde and blue eyed (takes after both grandmas), and both of us are brown eyed with dark brown hair. After that, we always carried his birth cert, and never had any issues.

People are people - there will be 'good' badge carriers, and 'bad' ones. Personality will show, even if it's not supposed to. Stereotyping them is as bad as thinking all Americans or all Canadians are the same. :o)

o

Missy I didn't realize you were so far from the border.

Stef- I was amazed when you said this Chipotle chain was a McDonald's owned chain. Actually, when I'm in the UK, I will basically eat fast only at one place, Pret A Manger. Absolutely fantastic. And after relating the two, Pret and Chipotle, I immediately see the similarities. Fresh, healthy, fast. What shocked me was that we, North America or really the Americans, are the masters of fast food. So, why was Pret not pegged for America but the UK had it? Guess only a McDonald's Exec could answer that. Nevertheless, a dynamite operation. From laughing stock to Top Stock, Mcdonald"s has really lifted the bar. The new approach is really something. Even the McDonald's stores are suddenly chic. Plasma TV's, fireplaces, sofa's. Glass tiles in the bathroom, obviously professionally decorated interiors etc. I mean compared to the pits that they were when we grew up, the young should consider themselves very lucky. Or maybe, not so lucky, since McDonalds research showed them that their customer base is not children but aging Boomers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pret A Manger

o
Pret is here

Aha!

So Pret has crossed the Atlantic. After checking the website just now, looks like they've blitzed The Big Apple. So, the Marketing Strategy is revealed. Affluent, higher income, financial capitals where food sophistication and health awareness are valued by the general population.

Surprised TO or LA hasn't hit their radar.

o

Well, there's a lot of competition in L.A., and exceptionally high real estate prices. And re NY, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. In L.A. parking lots are more important for fast food than quality.

Missy, you're right about stereotyping. To much major metropolitan area attitude in my previous post.

o

Plllog, I think Stereotyping for the sake of generalization is bad. But, if one is making statements based on actual true experiences based on similarities, then it's a valid conclusion just as in a scientific study.

I had a laugh with this recently in buying a new Apple iMac computer. I saw countless posts from people with screen problems and issues on Mac Forums. So before buying one, I decided to run my own Poll. The results were 55-45 % in favor of those that had screen problems. There were pessimists that mocked the Poll at how insignificant it was to make any conclusions, relative to all the iMacs sold worldwide etc etc. The whole point was it was my simple informal Poll that 300 people took. I was not Gallup. I now believed Apple had a problem and I did not buy the iMac.

It ended up that Apple finally delayed shipping the $2,000 27 inch iMac worldwide. in trying to solve the obvious issues that did exist well beyond my little 300 people sample.

If we eat a bad meal at 2 different McDonald's, chances are we eliminate McDonald's from our dining options. Most people will do it even after one meal in one location, even though the bad experience does not apply to every Mcdonald's in the world. So, I think it's just human nature to stereotype based on personal experience.

o
Great Kitchen Lighting News!

Stay tuned for the top story tonight on Colorful Mexican Kitchens News at 11.

o

LOL!! Solman, I was referring to my stereotyping of American badged ones as thugs. They are, obviously, human beings with all (or most) of the great variations encompassed therein. My own paltry experiences with the ilk have been fine, and the most aggressive was a hypertypeA, uberJohnWayne motorcycle cop who gave me a jaywalking ticket. And he wasn't impolite. It was just his demeanor.

And I was referring to the Austrian airline inspectors who decided my Mexican friend who lived in Austria was an Arab and a terrorist because of her dark hair and olive skin. (Going around Vienna with her was a hoot because I looked like I belonged and she looked foreign, but she's the one who speaks erudite German, and I'm the one who only knows "apfelsaf". They looked at me with fear in their eyes! "Did anyone give you anything?" "A rose and a skirt."

And the INS guys who pulled me over for having a big red car.

And my attitude toward people who go looking for authority jobs.

As Missy pointed out, they're all stereotyping.

Your experience of regularly meeting surly border guards, is, as you say, the product of your experience, not stereotyping.

o

Sorry, I wasn't trying to point fingers. I know I am often guilty often of stereotyping and I don't like it in myself, so likely am hypersensitive.

I have been rethinking the whole posting of my planned kitchen. The thing that's been bugging me is the DW. We purchased ours about a year ago before I knew there was such a thing as dishwasher drawers which make so much sense. I usually run ours every 2nd or 3d day, and a drawer would really have been all we needed. I can't justify replacing it now, BUT perhaps there's something else glaring that I'm missing.

o

Missy, I was agreeing with you! I'm glad you brought up the issue. We joke around a lot here and it's important to realize that stereotyping leads to a lot a real problems. Like DWB, which is a problem our badged ones have with stereotyping. (That's Driving While Black/Brown.) I've been pulled over in L.A. twice for having a missing registration sticker (registration was paid but the stickers disappeared). Once was by a very polite young man. The other was by a rather stern one. But neither of them did anything more than tell me to get a replacement (though the latter made me do the runaround paperwork). On the same kind of stop, many officers use it as an excuse to hassle people of color, especially men, and many people of color are so fed up with being treated poorly that they start with attitude which gets met with attitude. And L.A. aren't even the jack-booted thugs, which one of our area municipalities is well known for.

I was thinking of you this morning when I saw these:

boots

Yeah, post your plans! It can't hurt. We can talk you down if they convince you that you need a 400 sq.m. addition.

Re the dishdrawers, the double unit fits in a standard DW space, so when you're ready to pass your DW along you can always put them in then. You can run the two drawers independently. Some people just use the clean dishes out of one drawer and then stack them right in the other without putting them away in cupboards. I can't figure out how that works, but they say they do it.

o

We can talk you down if they convince you that you need a 400 sq.m. addition.
O my hubby would SO ban me forever from the computer hahahaha

On the same kind of stop, many officers use it as an excuse to hassle people of color, especially men, and many people of color are so fed up with being treated poorly that they start with attitude which gets met with attitude.
I think you've nailed it. We generate what we expect. It's something I try to remind myself of often!

I love the boots!! (in both colours!) They look like they'd be perfect up here.

I will make a concentrated effort to create some screenshots with measurements etc. and see if I can answer some of the questions in Buehl's thread and be brave and post.

o

Missy - When you do post you can include some background on what cannot be changed so that responses stay in line with your reality. I would think it important to at least know if there is something you could easily change that would make all the difference.

Cute smiley, though I have seen posts that request people be gentle which is not necessary as most people are. If there is a problem it's usually that words come across differently in writing than in person.

I went back and forth on the dish drawers, but was concerned about the space limitations of the drawers which are also about double the cost. My new dishwasher has a "top rack only" setting which is helpful when I just need to run the glassware.

So glad I don't need boots like that anymore.

o

Thanks for the additional info on the dish drawers, Steff. I wonder too about a drawer having enough space, but I think that for the odd time I would need more, I wouldn't mind doing two loads, or hand washing some. I hand wash a fair bit anyways, just because I hate turning on a half full DW. I LOVE how quiet my DW is, which was my biggest factor in picking the model I did (due to our open plan). Perhaps by the time I am ready for a new one, there will be something completely new and different out there. :o) I think I've mentioned that my kids are almost gone (19 and 18) so once we're down to the two of us, I will likely end up handwashing even more.

o

Missy, the boots are from Herrington and come in black too, but it says they're from Canada, so I'm sure you could find a better source if you want some.

People say that DW's use less water than handwashing, but I don't know under what circumstances or if that's hype, urban legend or fact.

You don't need to be brave--just write your message to me and Steff and Marthavila (and Solman if he ever goes over there). It's just us. And if more people look in and give you suggestions, well that happens later, when you meet new friends. And Steff is right, bring out the important points up front: The window is going to be that big because you need the light and it's not changing. The cabinets have been bought (though if some are exchangeable you can mention that too), you have the appliances, etc. You know, the kind of stuff we had to pry out of Solman with a crow bar and a shovel.

Steff, I'll admit that sometimes I'm not gentle. Sometimes people have something that's really wacky, and I'll say so. There are a lot of perfectly normal kitchens being done. Missy's is normal. Even if the DW really had been the sink it would have been normal, and usable. But then there is the crack smoking architect or whatever, and I'll tell someone bluntly if it's so bad the first thing I'd do is tear it out. Sometimes being too nice doesn't get the point across.

o

Agreed, there are times when the best option is to tell someone straight out that what they considering doesn't work.
Also when a contractor is not doing the job and the homeowner is wavering you have to talk tough.

o

Okely dokely, the deed is done. :o)

Hopefully no prying is necessary. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: message from the other side (hahaha)

o

Well, the good news is we've finally warmed up.

The bad news is we have so much rain the National Guard is standing by to rescue people from potential flooding. Our house is on high ground, so we'll be fine but there's always someone who decides to try the low water crossing despite the flood warnings.

o

Oy! Steff!! We're getting that next week. Whatever happened to moderation?? Global warming? Or just the contrary nature of nature?

o

Look at all the action I've missed!

Yooo hooo hello everyone. Solman's been away to TO and working till midnight to pay for the lavish Mexican Kitchen, I just got home!

Missy, yes I see this DW is nagging you and you've been bitten by the technology bug. But all factors considered, I think you're already holding the ticket based on cost, capacity, newness of your present one. As far as position. I agree with others that the current position is not good. Too close to Stove. I just went down to the Kitchen and looked from your perspective. So, my feeling coming from a guy who has NEVER had a dishwasher in his life LOL! But when I had the choice on my floor plan, I could really see that it wouldn't be pleasant being a ) close to the corner cabinet and b) close to the stove. I would opt for moving the dishwsher to the right of the sink, then a 24 " and then the 12 inch at the end. 12 inchers are not the most desirable cabinets so tucking that to the end is nice. I did that with my 15" bank of Drawers. It's the smallest floor cabinet in my Kitchen. Then the additional 24 inch, left from the Diswasher substitution goes to the left of the sink. Perfect. I see DH's Cabinets have had quite the impact, very nice. And face frame too. I agree, they have to be used. Plllogs, overhang idea is superb by the island. I also like the fact that this simple shuffle for the dishwasher can respect DH's centering of the sink.

Stef-glad you're warming up like us. We were at +4C today. Before I left, I was doing dishes and right before my eyes, in front of the window, a 15 foot long UFO literally fell out of the sky and onto the ground. Thank God not into the stained glass window. Stunned, I just paused and took it all in for the moment. Yes, we had massive icicles hanging from the eavestrough and the weight of that ice was so overwhelming that it ripped them off the house and the whole thing fell to the ground. Truly a first in all my years here.

As for the TO trip, yes it was to good old IKEA for the Quiche and Vegetable Medallions... I mean Wall Oven switch and...shhhhhh, if I say it, Plllog might laugh at me. Hint: Starts with c and ends in r.

While I talked to the IKEA Kitchen guy about oven size, I asked him if they sold more 30 inchers, of course they did. But then he said something eery. They had some IKEA Staff seminar recently and were instructed to advise on 30 inchers when put below cooktops because of "Code". He didn't seem to expand on that; which means he obviously was dozing during that part of the meeting. So, that got me thinking enough that I didn't buy today but just returned the mean looking Black 24 incher. Plllog-Stef, I know looks wise you weren't crazy about the 24" under a 38 inch Mural. So, open minded Solman is willing to open up the wallet to the 30 incher if visually you REALLY like it better. As for Code, I just don't see how the size of oven could possibly influence a building code. This IKEA guy did also point out that all the displays were recently changed and 30 inch ovens replaced the 24 inchers when the oven was directly below the cooktop (which is true). Now IKEA 24 inch ovens are only in tall Wall Oven cabinets or shown as double 24's in those cabinets. I just hope this wasn't done for "sales" reasons as the profit margin and $ value is obviously higher. I also have to consider it is a 36 inch cabinet that the cooktop and oven are going into. With 24 incher, it's 12 inches filler strip on both sides.

Plllog I was thinking of your tile job today. Hope it's looking great. No reason why it wouldn't. You must be so giddy with excitement. Funny thing, I'm actually ecstatic just having the Yellow Talaveras sitting there all laid out without grout! That's very demotivating to get the tile setter in. Actually I've been number crunching and measuring for finalizing the Mexico order and presently short 36 Yellows to wrap around the wall as you suggested. And that's assuming the Hopping Froggy design was used. I'm a little confused on your Double Barrel Brothers suggestion but I think you meant those in place of Yellows to increase your Yellows. But, any way we look at it, we need 40 more tiles.

Stef-Plllog-Missy do you guys REALLY like the Lace Mantilla better? I can do the math on that, lots more Guadalajaras but could eliminate the Yellow order.

I'll do the math on that again. The key is I think which arrangement involves ordering the least number of tiles and using what is here now.

I was wondering how Ms. Wonderful made a material calculation error which I have never seen her do. Sure enough it was because I added more counter and wall to the left of the Mural, instead of a Tall Pantry that she had in our original plan. Her's was more practical, our's now is much more beautiful. As the IKEA Kitchen Planner said, "We have planned the whole Kitchen around your Mural".

And now I think it is definitely time to go to bed.

Nighty Night everyone.

o

My what? Overhang by Missy's island? Huh? But that does remind me of my real idea: Missy, you can build out the island with interior angle brackets supporting the overhang, at least partially, so that it's not entirely dependent on a freestanding piece. Not just for the possible resale you mention, but because having a support that's not attached to the island is risky.

Solman, how come you say you were working but the whole time seems to have been spent shopping? Hm...? Are you Ikea's new mattress tester? And of course I'm going to laugh at you, because I always do, but you can put whatever you want in the corner as long as you're happy with it.

Re the oven, you're tired. That would be 6" filler on both sides, or 12" filler to be distributed to either side. On code, check your local building department unless you have a uniform code for the whole province or something. I can't imagine how the width of the oven could affect this, though it might be that one model passes and another, seemingly similar model, doesn't for some technical innards reason or something.

We're telling you about the looks because it takes a certain ability to imagine to see things that aren't there, and we've developed that enough to consult. Choosing the color or the dial or whatever on looks is fine. Function is more important and my concern about the 24" has always been the interior dimensions. The first (UK) one was the size of a large toaster oven. It's meant for a tiny urban kitchen with no countertop room for a toaster oven, let alone cabinet room for a real oven, for making cheese toast or a chicken breast. (There are lots of condo flats in Sweden that are smaller than my front porch.) It's not for an exurban house of substance. The current one is usable, but still really small. The reason for the changing display is that Ikea knows it. 24" ovens are being made for retrofitting into an existing cabinet from back when a 24" oven was much deeper front to back than they are nowadays. Now, the same size is side to side in the 30". What if you want to bake cookies?

But all this discussion is for your information. You must take it in and do what is best for you. Well, okay, I might have dropped you if you'd gone with the crown inside the soffit, but in general, you have to be the final arbiter of what goes into your house. Actually, I did find a counter example for you. My cleaners went luxe recently, and they have contrast dentil molding both under and inside of a soffit, but the whole soffit is big can lights, so the moldings help distract from that abomination. And it's a cleaner's lobby. The whole design is way too over the top for a house. It's Hollywood Tuscan and completely ungapatchka. But the molding inside the soffit does work...

Re the look of the tile work, adding in any field tiles is going to be a problem because they won't match. I'm not so worried if the quarter round isn't just right, but you don't want the rest to stick out. That's why I suggested using the random extra tiles you have to stretch the yellows, and get that authentic, rustic look that was in so many of your early inspiration pictures.

If you are going to add in tiles you want to add more, not less, so that they don't look like an after thought. Then you can mix them up and it'll look like intentional variation. We're not talking about $35 s.f. tiles here. You can use the overage to line the niche for the water jug.

o

Good morning, I see the night crew has been hard at work. I second everything plllog has said above.

My view on the oven is that function has to be the first consideration. Unless the width and proportion is really off, which is not the case, you will notice whether or not it works for you more over time.

As far as the tile pattern, I liked several of them pretty much the same so am not tied to Lace Mantilla if it works out better for the yellows.

plllog, LOL at the description of the cleaners. My nail salon did something similar as well.

Remember global warming is now climate change, so they're covered whether drought or flood, record cold or heat, and disasters both natural and man-caused.

o

Solman, how come you say you were working but the whole time seems to have been spent shopping? Hm...? Are you Ikea's new mattress tester?

Shhhh, if the Boss hears that Plllog, I'm in trouble. You see I've got this clever system where I can combine IKEAING with making deliveries. Kind of a multitasking operation because I'm a "good ol Country Boy goin to the Big City". And the Boss should be happy because the Dinner Allowance I used was only $2.49 on the IKEA Thursday Special- Quiche and Vegetables.

Stef, on that IKEA Oven, it did look impressive as in Grand having the full 30 incher under the cooktop. I remember Inspector Plllog with some comment that with the 38 inch Mural up top, it could look a little strange visually in balance. Seems like if all these IKEA showrooms, SEARS etc. is plugging the 30 incher as the norm, maybe you just go along with it. It would help re-sale. The 24 inch will not. Definitely more room. The price difference is minimal even if I will not use the extra. Also the cabinet can take a 30 inch oven since it's a 36 inch Cabinet. Where we have compromised with Euro sizes, Dishwasher and Fridge, there was no choice based on space constraints.

Prairie- Are you sure you would never want your island as a cooking area? Those islands at IKEA last night with lovely cooktops were really beautiful. Wink wink to you lucky ones who can have such luck.

On the way home last night I listened to my favorite NPR station and the descriptions of the devastation in Haiti and was moved by the reporter who started crying mid speech when he saw something disturbing. In times like this, it's really hard for me to take the Kitchen Reno seriously with the "problem" of a square corner or larger oven with the degree of annihilation that has occurred for these poor people.

My deepest sympathies for their suffering. Very sad.

o

O Solman, the whole situation in Haiti is heartbreaking. I agree that it feels selfish to be thinking of kitchen renos at this kind of time. On the other hand, if you've already done what you can (whether physically or financially) I think it's ok to go on with your life. Human suffering is all around us, all the time. We just are good at not seeing a good portion of it, a good portion of the time. I think true compassion has to be a way of life, not something that is done only in times of emergency (tho reactive help during emergencies is very important too.)

If you can fit the 30" oven in, I say do it! As far as the 'Lace Mantilla', I'm with Steff. I think that (although drawn to one version) it will look gorgeous no matter which version you use.

As far as a cooktop in my island, I thought of that, but I already have a good stove/oven. I don't need to get another one 'just because' AND I like having all that unobstructed work space. When I bake bread I get pretty physical and throw the dough around a lot.

Plllog, the overhang won't be unattached to the island. The island countertop (hardwood or butcherblock I think) will be one piece and will just be made big enough to cover the top of the little cupboard. It will be attached to the island itself.

o
This Just In Direct From Mexico!

Don't thank me so soon because it look like I have set in motion an another 10 years search to achieve the perfect mexican kitchen and I will really like to see it finished before I die, so although I understand your love for real comal made tortilla when I said modern comal I was meaning:

go for the induction top, you then can put a clay comal or anything on top for decorating or cooking purpose.

o

Oh! Missy, if the island countertop is wood there's no problem with the overhang. It's not brittle. This environment has me thinking stone is the norm. Silly, huh? I'm sure you probably said it was wood before, but I forgot.

Re cooktops in the island: They look just great in the store where there's no heat, spatter, fumes, hood, etc. My brother has the "right" kind of island cooktop with a huge hood and enough protective margin, no seats. It's awful. I mean, it's fine for him because about all he cooks is mush or rice, but yuck.

I agree about the induction, but you can't cook on clay on induction. OTOH, I think you'd be pleased with the performance of an enamelled griddle.

Re Haiti, that's what I meant about resources and wealth. Our 6.9 quake killed 16, most in two problem spots. 7.0 is quite a bit stronger (Richter scale is exponential, not linear) but same vecinity. The current (post shaking) tragedy is that the mobilization units aren't prepared for infrastructure problems. We need to get aircraft fuel in, engineers and all terrains to get goods out of the airport and port, and similar things that are more usually associated with combat rather than aid. I hope they've got generals and other good movers of materiel on it.

Missy said it well, however. It is upon us always to lend help to those who can't do for themselves, emergency or not, but it's also necessary for us to pursue our lives and activities or misery will be the only industry and the world will come to a standstill.

So, the rains aren't even here yet and they're already spending a lot of news time on sandbagging and K rail. They're talking amounts of rain in a short time that we almost never have (guess El Nino is still around!). I'm hoping that it's the Chicken Little thing, and we'll actually not get more than an inch, but it's looking ominous. He just said 4-6" in the basin! YIKES!!!!

o

The situation in Haiti is getting worse by the hour. The suffering seems endless from the news. I did see a Canadian plane being unloaded, so the world knows you are there, too.

So go ahead and finish the kitchen.

We've had about 5" rain in 12 hours and the river is 6" above flood stage.

o

I think I worded that poorly - boy the limitations of the internet sure make it difficult to have what you mean come out in your type.
Of course it's important to help in emergencies. I guess I feel that it's just as (if not more) important to help the rest of the time too - helping those who can't help themselves by building schools, hospitals, universities, wells for fresh water, businesses, etc. I think once those in 3d world situations can (with our help) raise their standard of living, hopefully when something like this happens it won't have this kind of devastating effect. Hopefully that explains it a bit better. I guess all of this is part and parcel of why we don't want to overspend on our kitchen. We need to make sure that our spending on ourselves is balanced with what we use to help those in these kinds of places.

clear as mud? hah

Cripes, Steff, that's a lot of rain. Are you above flood level? Water can do so much damage when it goes where it's not supposed to.

plllog, sounds like you could be in for it, too - and people wonder why we choose to live here in the North. :o)

Stay safe all...

o

Don't worry, our house is on higher ground. We do get floods in the creek behind but the low ground goes away from the house and no buildings are there.

Of course, balance and moderation. Keeping in mind all the other important things there are to do with money and not all for spending on ourselves alone.

o

Missy, it didn't sound like you meant not to help in emergencies! What I took from it was a reminder to help the miseries that aren't emergent and are always with us. I think it's I who isn't communicating well! The problem with a lot of the aid that goes to the third world is that it ends up as graft and very little actually goes to help the people and it's very hard to know how to help. From what they've been saying on the news however, there were a lot of aid workers in Haiti when the quake hit giving direct aid to some of the poorest people in the world. I admire them very much. I did my time as a volunteer but in a much more comfortable and protected place. But I'm with you on the indulgences. I've been using part of my kitchen money for donations for the reasons you've said. And I know that the spending I've done on my kitchen helps people in many many ways.

We had a luxury tax go in, in the 1990's I think. They thought, well, if you have to have a yacht over 45' (or whatever it was) and a car over $50K, then you can pay the tax. What it really meant is that if you have to pay a big tax on your yacht in California and not in Rhode Island, you can get your boat there. And buy your car at one of your other houses. And woe betide the boatyard workers and the chandlers and the Lamborghini salesmen who are hard working middle class people whose livelihoods the tax destroyed. Sigh.

Steff, that's scary rain!! Is that supposed to happen?

I'm fine where I am, though the (detached at the bottom of the hill) garage will flood because it was built wrong.

o

The problem with a lot of the aid that goes to the third world is that it ends up as graft and very little actually goes to help the people and it's very hard to know how to help

Well everyone, first of all I would like to say it is great to hear your sentiments towards the tragic devastation of untold numbers people.

Which reminds me of 2008 and the Cyclone that hit Myanmar. Asia always had/has a special place in my heart. When the Disaster struck in Burma, I was so moved by it that I almost left Canada for relief aid. There was the issue of aid not being allowed in by the Gov't (for obvious National Security reasons, especially American aid). Then one day, I magically learned about an aid program set up by the Burmese Buddhist Monks Association of Canada which was linked to other like Burmese Monks Associations around the world.
How it worked was that donation money was wired directly to Burmese Monks in India and those Monks transported the actual money into Burma on foot. Once there, the money was distributed directly by the Monks to the people in need. It was brilliant.

I was so excited that I went to my immediate neighbors and asked them for a contribution for the cause which was front page news for weeks. To my utter disappointment and surprise, they had no interest in helping. In that moment I asked how could life be so cruel? Is it not our obligation here in the Western world of excess to share in the redistribution of wealth. That is why EVERY G7 Summit is marred in such violence. Inequality is not tolerable by most of the world. Our drug companies spend their Research dollars on pills so that old Western men can get erections when they should be providing affordable medications to the poor for terminal diseases like AIDS, which kills millions of people.

And today I look at the same neighbors driveway and see two new SUV's. A mere $50 donation is not even a tank of gas for one of their SUV's.

But a Buddhist Monk will say what you have witnessed in them is neither good nor bad. It's just the way it is.

Perhaps the identity of a Universal world in which we are a Universal being is too far removed for most. But if they were one of the wounded victims lying under the avalanche of rubble in Port of Prince today, and just inches away was a native Haitian bleeding, body parts missing, and eyes in tears, like themselves, then would they finally find the compassion to accept that we are really all the same beings? I hope so.

Pllog. Missy, Stef, really nice to hear that we have adjusted our lives in recognition towards the suffering of others.

The Myanmar Disaster happened near my Birthday in May '08 and when I spoke to the Toronto Monk by phone, I told him with tears that today is my Birthday and the greatest Birthday Gift I could have ever had was the honor of donating to the people of Myanmar. I will never forget it. It brought such happiness to my heart.

o

Steff, are you there? I mean like physically there standing in the house and not canoeing through the streets. I have visions of you really in some serious flood images.

Missy I guess you were right that it's not all a bed of Roses down in the Tropics. They've got their issues too. Stef, I know this is a little premature to ask but are you sure you don't want to come back to our playground. Fresh glittering snowflakes, a winter skate on a frozen pond, Hot Chocolate after a skate, tobogganing down a lovely hill, dressing up as a hot Ski Bunny and sipping Champagne at the Lodge. Oh Plllog, all these apply to you too.

Come back to the North where Missy and I and DH will welcome you with open arms and maybe even build you a nice Yellow cabinet :)

o
Rain rain

Steff, that's scary rain!! Is that supposed to happen?

Those words coming from the The Victim of Rain herself.

Suddenly Plllog's signature Smiley becomes communal. Now it's both Stef and Pllog's. Swoosh;;;

SMILEY RAIN Pictures, Images and Photos

o
The Dishwasher

Missy- What did you think of my suggestion of moving the Dishwasher to the right of the sink and swapping one of the 2 24 inch Drawer cabinets in it's place and putting the 12 inch Drawers at the end, where they belong:) ?

o

Thanks for your concern, everything is fine here. I did hear a lot of helicopters last night but as far as I know there were no emergency rescues.

Here's what the creek looked like during a big rain in December.

Creek a

Here's what it looked like the next morning

Visitor a

We usually get 30" rain a year and just came out of a two year drought. The news is saying we actually got less than 4", I guess someone got a bit over the top earlier. The river and some streets did flood, but so far so good.

I also try to find relief services with low overhead that give directly to the victims, too. The Red Cross is a good orgnization, but they don't specifically direct funds.

The rain is gone and we will hit 75F/24C by Wednesday. We're off to Houston today, so we'll see you next week sometime.

o

Thanks for the photos Steff! What a gorgeous backdrop. If that's the view from your house, it is enviable.

Glad the flood situation is not as bad as expected.

Have fun in Houston.

o

Oh Steff, your yard is beautiful!! *sigh* I'm glad to hear you're all ok. :o) Have a good, safe trip to Houston!

Solman, your suggestion has merit (I'm still trying out different configurations for the DW on the right), but the 12" drawer you're referring to is (I think) our garbage pull-out. It needs to stay next to the sink.

o

Oh Plllog, all these apply to you too.

Thank-you, no. I know how to deal with rain: stay in. Hypothermia starts below 60 F. I just get really worried about all the people in the burn zones. Not so much, though still feel some compassion, for rich people who live in the canyons. Choosing to live in a watercourse when you can afford to live elsewhere is just zany. Just because it can go a dozen years without flooding doesn't mean it's a safe place to put your house.

I'm sorry about your birthday bust, but it's hard to know about people. I turn down all solicitations as a matter of course, except for things that friends are directly participating in. Then I make my own donations in my own time following my own criteria. Your neighbors might be similar. Or maybe they already gave more than they could afford. It's impossible to know how much someone has by what they show (the cars might have been gotten at auction and hocked to the hilt, and the little old lady wearing the same coat for 20 years might be a gazillionaire), and impossible to know what they do or don't give unless they do it for self aggrandizement and crow about it loudly.

Steff, is that your yard?? Very pretty! Glad you didn't get the whole 4"! 1" is a lot for us, and I'm hoping that the predicted 4"-6" (over 5 days) is really going to be 1". I hope you get to be home for the warm up!!

o

Whoops my apologies for letting my left-wing activist sentiments seep through.

o

LOL! Solman, your left-wing activist sentiments were in lauding the "redistribution of wealth." I didn't argue with that! You're welcome to your politics. But I do think you shouldn't judge people for not following you. People have to follow their own paths. Some will hear your beat and march along. More will go their own way. The ones who don't follow you aren't bad. And being you doesn't make you more right than they are. Everyone who is trying to live a good life and be a good person is right in their own way. Go ahead and ask them to follow you. Just don't get mad at them if they choose a different course.

o

Plllog-Thank you very much for such a nicely worded sentiment. You are absolutely right. We cannot judge others for not following us. Sometimes, in our exuberance for life, it is easy to get caught up in motivating others especially when we have discovered something that is truly great whether a new camera or Travel destination or charity.

I'm sure that psychologists would say that when we discover something that we are truly passionate about, we want to share with others in the hope of motivating them to follow in our footsteps. The result is an obvious sense of personal accomplishment and human bonding. You now both have that same camera or shoes and are almost like a family just based on that.

That is why I liked the Buddhist position. That it's neither bad nor good if someone follows. It's just the way it is. Without judgement. With tolerance.

And yes plllog, the truth is we can never fault those that do not choose to follow us. Hopefully, I will remember that.

o

::smile:: Yes. That's what I meant when I said I wasn't trying to get you to buy an iPhone. It's not right for everyone, and not even useful if you don't have good 3G saturation. I was just sharing how much I liked it for me. And I think your nearly disposable Nokia with the multiplicitous SIM cards sounds great for you (especially if you remember to back up your contacts regularly so it's no biggie if it does get stolen...).

o

No no Plllog, you already got me to buy the iPhone or iSlate or both! But trust me, I wanted the iPhone since it came out, but it was very difficult for Hackers to unlock. Apple was prepared I guess.

Now that Hackers can unlock it, and some new wiz bang features are due in the V 4.0 in the coming months, so it looks appetizing indeed. I love my, "Go ahead, make my day" $19.99 special BUT in Business I can't really pull that out of my pocket without shame :) As the adage goes, we want to do business with people that look successful even if it's superficial. Now that even transfers to everyday life. Heard this on John Tesh the other day. When women went out shopping, the one's that were "better" dressed received much more attention from sales clerks.

So, yes my cheapo phone for Travel (where I definitely don't want to cause temptation and attract attention) and the better iPhone for the home scene.

I can already see that iSlate in my palms. Talk about material worship. But blame it on Steve, he's the one working us up for it. The latest of the latest rumors has it being like a Big iPhone.

So plllog, since I'm ready to follow you (maybe), are you coming on board with me to the iSlate? JAN 25 San Francisco.

And even if you don't, you know I'll respect your opinion don't you? ;)

o

LOL! Good. Because I have no need for a tablet. My contractor can't wait. Use it in good health. :)

o

"I'm Back in the USA."

Just got in from down south in America. And what a difference the border was today. No attitude made for good times. In fact, the Inspector wouldn't let me go! We were talking about Africa, Montreal, Vancouver and his future travels while there was a lineup of maybe eight cars behind me! . I even asked him for directions to the Home Depot which he gladly gave. Truly a first in all my years of crossing. It's almost as if US Customs heard our discussion during our UCMKF meeting and were so ashamed by their earlier behavior. LOL!

Plllog, yes I chose to follow you, again! We have Plugmold. Such a simple thing, but non existent in Canada. Even America was spotty. Lowe's doesn't have it either.

So while at the Depot, I was loitering amongst their Kitchen displays and still fascinated by this Accordion like contraption a.k.a Corner Cabinet. Truly an American thing. :::Cute. While standing there, the Kitchen Designer asked me if I had any questions. So I asked him what people's preference was between the True L and the angled Corner cabinets and sure enough people liked the true L. His assistant was quick to add that she had the angled corner and didn't like it because she was short and could never reach the back of the cabinet. I looked carefully and sure enough very valid point. Next question, the Designer asked me if I had any Soffits? Oh, well that was a good question. When I gave him that answer, he added that he never recommends an angled corner cabinet with square soffits. Bad design was his absolute belief. Hmmm.

So tomorrow, Carpenter will be here and we will do a real life arrangement of the corner in a perfect L. Luckily I have the exact sizes needed from the existing floor plan cabinets to do this quite easily.

Warning: There will be a slightly different look on the Mural wall. Right now it has two 12 inch doors on either side. With the cabinet re-shuffle, it will have 12 inch doors on the left, and 15 inch doors on the right. Visually and design wise I don't know if that is bad or irrelevant. That opinion would be appreciated.

Carpenter has also stained the back of one of the actual door trims in several variations to choose from.

Will be off to the big city on Monday to pick up some Milk....paint.

o

::waving:: Glad you had a good trip!

In general, one strives for symmetry, but in reality, it can't always be done.

But explain me this...how are you going to make a corner cabinet out of two regular cabinets? I don't get it. And are you shuffling the bottom too so that they all line up? Most confused...

And if you didn't buy a corner cabinet at Ikea, what was the secret item?

Much sybaritic pleasure tonight. G'night.

o

Farewell Darling People of Ix!!!

It was a good number while it lasted.

The deluge is supposedly a bit delayed, but there are already little spots of moisture dropping. I blew through Whole Foods but not a word from Amy. Solman, did you say something to her?

How goes with the cabinets? How are you going to reach in the corner? Or is Carpenter just carpenting a proper new cabinet out of the carcasses of the old? It's been puzzling me all morning.

It's 2 p.m. And very dark. And the doom is planned for tomorrow earliest. Oy.

o

No No, IX is still here with an ever so limited presence before... The Big X!

Quick plllog get that umbrella/canopy/awning/furniture cover out. Dark at 2? They're training for Vancouver 2010 on the sunny slopes of Whistler right now.

Oh and back to Whole Foods again? There's just too many good things in there for easy indulging. Like the Bakery section. -YUM- And the Spirulina Smoothies.

But what about my little Amy? Promise I didn't say anything to her. BUT... I'm starting to wonder if she expected "The "Rock" for X-Mas. I did offer her one of the good Guadalajaras but maybe that didn't dazzle her enough. It is handmade and beautiful and exotic after all. And those blood diamonds, I mean shiny pebbles, are so over priced anyways. Or maybe it was the new $19.99 cell phone and she was expecting me to have the snazzy iPhone. But it should be important enough that I actually call her, even if the phone is El Cheapo.

AMY: Where ever you are, you should always know that I LOVE you:r Tamales.

Aha we've got Plllog the Curious Cat in the Dark Damp Pacific Coastline wondering how will them Northerners get them corners straightened out?

Well, it goes like this. Carpenter arrives in morning. Carpenter hears about Perfect L corner idea. Carpenter about to say I'm crazy. Carpenter listens to reasoning. Carpenter's eyes start twitching. Carpenter looks at both elevations. Carpenter agrees to idea. Man asks Carpenter how. Carpenter says no problem, been there and done that with US Kitchen Installs.

So, when I told him about the mock up display by shuffling cabinets today, he basically said why bother because it's such a no brainer in looks.

The good news. The existing IKEA angled corner will be notched out like the American L Corner, including shelves, and we'll buy the accordion hinges and presto, next Saturday it goes up on the wall. No new cabinet purchase, no cabinet wasted, just 2 new 12 inch doors required! Maybe a $75 change in extra costs. Even he said the room looks larger. You can actually prep food now on that corner; without The Devil being in your face.

It will work like this. Window elevation-currently has 15 inch cabinet and the "creepy" corner to the left of the window. With the Plllog Accordian L a.k.a PAL, there will be one additional 12 inch door to the left of the 15 inch creating the corner. And attached to it, another 12 inch door as you turn the corner. So the Mural Elevation will now have three 12 inch doors in row to the right of the Mural.

No filler spaces, like IKEA showrooms do, since they butt doors and cabinets to create silly L's. One IKEA display even stopped the cabinets at the L Corner, so that there was no awkward reaching to the back of the corner and conceded the entire corner area.

Thhhe That's all folks!

Senorita Plllog, you have truly opened up a can of worms---I mean a corner for cans :)

o

Oh! Okay. That's the way I thought it should be done, but misunderstood when you talked about rearranging cabinets. Good for Carpenter. I thought you were talking about one of those oddities you've seen at Ikea and got very confusded. Good Solman. :D

I got home just in time. It's only dripping now, but it's wet. Leading edge and all that. But I got the three must before rain things planned done, and feel very good about it. I can sleep though the rain, and worry about the coming flood in the garage later. I need to clean the garage anyway.

o
Looks like the moisture clock is a tickin.

I need to clean the garage anyway.

Plllog just a thought but maybe the stuff you need to clean out may just float up and away and save you the effort. custom smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Clean. Not clean out. But if it floods enough to get over the rubber thingie we're in trouble.

o

The last people of Ix have headed to the hills. I thought we'd already had a lot of rainfall. My back patio (bricks) is saturated, and currently a few inches deep. Apparently, the real rain is coming this afternoon.

Good news is they're really seriously preparing the burn zones. A lot of people have voluntarily evacuated, they've put up K-rail, as well as sandbags, and they're issuing intense pleas for people to leave if there's a mandatory evacuation so they won't endanger the first responders. "We can't stop debris floes."

None of this is at my house. I'm on a knoll and well away from scrub. But watching the rain and the hillsides is what we do here.

And, no, what they had at the Globes yesterday was not rain. We know that. Enough to mar a silk dress, but not enough to bring down a hill.

o

Holy RAINARAMA Batwoman!

My back patio (bricks) is saturated, and currently a few inches deep. Apparently, the real rain is coming this afternoon.

Can't say the Weatherman was a Fibber. Can that pond on your back patio enter your interior decor? It is very Asian to have interior ponds with a couple of colorful KOI you know. Better than an artificial glass aquarium.

Quick Plllog let's head for the hills and catch up to the rest of the gang! At the least the water can't climb up there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part X of this thread.

o
Farewell to the era of IX!

Holy RAINARAMA Batwoman!

My back patio (bricks) is saturated, and currently a few inches deep. Apparently, the real rain is coming this afternoon.

Can't say the Weatherman was a Fibber. Can that pond on your back patio enter your interior decor? It is very Asian to have interior ponds with a couple of colorful KOI you know. Better than an artificial glass aquarium.

Quick Plllog let's head for the hills and catch up to the rest of the gang! At the least the water can't climb up there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part X of this thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here