Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part 1X!

solman
14 years ago

Hi Guys,

The Mexican Fiesta is over here now!

Cheers to the Lime Margaritas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part V111 of this thread.

Comments (149)

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aha!

So Pret has crossed the Atlantic. After checking the website just now, looks like they've blitzed The Big Apple. So, the Marketing Strategy is revealed. Affluent, higher income, financial capitals where food sophistication and health awareness are valued by the general population.

Surprised TO or LA hasn't hit their radar.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Well, there's a lot of competition in L.A., and exceptionally high real estate prices. And re NY, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. In L.A. parking lots are more important for fast food than quality.

Missy, you're right about stereotyping. To much major metropolitan area attitude in my previous post.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog, I think Stereotyping for the sake of generalization is bad. But, if one is making statements based on actual true experiences based on similarities, then it's a valid conclusion just as in a scientific study.

I had a laugh with this recently in buying a new Apple iMac computer. I saw countless posts from people with screen problems and issues on Mac Forums. So before buying one, I decided to run my own Poll. The results were 55-45 % in favor of those that had screen problems. There were pessimists that mocked the Poll at how insignificant it was to make any conclusions, relative to all the iMacs sold worldwide etc etc. The whole point was it was my simple informal Poll that 300 people took. I was not Gallup. I now believed Apple had a problem and I did not buy the iMac.

It ended up that Apple finally delayed shipping the $2,000 27 inch iMac worldwide. in trying to solve the obvious issues that did exist well beyond my little 300 people sample.

If we eat a bad meal at 2 different McDonald's, chances are we eliminate McDonald's from our dining options. Most people will do it even after one meal in one location, even though the bad experience does not apply to every Mcdonald's in the world. So, I think it's just human nature to stereotype based on personal experience.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stay tuned for the top story tonight on Colorful Mexican Kitchens News at 11.

• plllog
    14 years ago

LOL!! Solman, I was referring to my stereotyping of American badged ones as thugs. They are, obviously, human beings with all (or most) of the great variations encompassed therein. My own paltry experiences with the ilk have been fine, and the most aggressive was a hypertypeA, uberJohnWayne motorcycle cop who gave me a jaywalking ticket. And he wasn't impolite. It was just his demeanor.

And I was referring to the Austrian airline inspectors who decided my Mexican friend who lived in Austria was an Arab and a terrorist because of her dark hair and olive skin. (Going around Vienna with her was a hoot because I looked like I belonged and she looked foreign, but she's the one who speaks erudite German, and I'm the one who only knows "apfelsaf". They looked at me with fear in their eyes! "Did anyone give you anything?" "A rose and a skirt."

And the INS guys who pulled me over for having a big red car.

And my attitude toward people who go looking for authority jobs.

As Missy pointed out, they're all stereotyping.

Your experience of regularly meeting surly border guards, is, as you say, the product of your experience, not stereotyping.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't trying to point fingers. I know I am often guilty often of stereotyping and I don't like it in myself, so likely am hypersensitive.

I have been rethinking the whole posting of my planned kitchen. The thing that's been bugging me is the DW. We purchased ours about a year ago before I knew there was such a thing as dishwasher drawers which make so much sense. I usually run ours every 2nd or 3d day, and a drawer would really have been all we needed. I can't justify replacing it now, BUT perhaps there's something else glaring that I'm missing.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Missy, I was agreeing with you! I'm glad you brought up the issue. We joke around a lot here and it's important to realize that stereotyping leads to a lot a real problems. Like DWB, which is a problem our badged ones have with stereotyping. (That's Driving While Black/Brown.) I've been pulled over in L.A. twice for having a missing registration sticker (registration was paid but the stickers disappeared). Once was by a very polite young man. The other was by a rather stern one. But neither of them did anything more than tell me to get a replacement (though the latter made me do the runaround paperwork). On the same kind of stop, many officers use it as an excuse to hassle people of color, especially men, and many people of color are so fed up with being treated poorly that they start with attitude which gets met with attitude. And L.A. aren't even the jack-booted thugs, which one of our area municipalities is well known for.

I was thinking of you this morning when I saw these:

Yeah, post your plans! It can't hurt. We can talk you down if they convince you that you need a 400 sq.m. addition.

Re the dishdrawers, the double unit fits in a standard DW space, so when you're ready to pass your DW along you can always put them in then. You can run the two drawers independently. Some people just use the clean dishes out of one drawer and then stack them right in the other without putting them away in cupboards. I can't figure out how that works, but they say they do it.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

We can talk you down if they convince you that you need a 400 sq.m. addition.

O my hubby would SO ban me forever from the computer hahahaha

On the same kind of stop, many officers use it as an excuse to hassle people of color, especially men, and many people of color are so fed up with being treated poorly that they start with attitude which gets met with attitude.
    I think you've nailed it. We generate what we expect. It's something I try to remind myself of often!

I love the boots!! (in both colours!) They look like they'd be perfect up here.

I will make a concentrated effort to create some screenshots with measurements etc. and see if I can answer some of the questions in Buehl's thread and be brave and post.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Missy - When you do post you can include some background on what cannot be changed so that responses stay in line with your reality. I would think it important to at least know if there is something you could easily change that would make all the difference.

Cute smiley, though I have seen posts that request people be gentle which is not necessary as most people are. If there is a problem it's usually that words come across differently in writing than in person.

I went back and forth on the dish drawers, but was concerned about the space limitations of the drawers which are also about double the cost. My new dishwasher has a "top rack only" setting which is helpful when I just need to run the glassware.

So glad I don't need boots like that anymore.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Thanks for the additional info on the dish drawers, Steff. I wonder too about a drawer having enough space, but I think that for the odd time I would need more, I wouldn't mind doing two loads, or hand washing some. I hand wash a fair bit anyways, just because I hate turning on a half full DW. I LOVE how quiet my DW is, which was my biggest factor in picking the model I did (due to our open plan). Perhaps by the time I am ready for a new one, there will be something completely new and different out there. :o) I think I've mentioned that my kids are almost gone (19 and 18) so once we're down to the two of us, I will likely end up handwashing even more.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Missy, the boots are from Herrington and come in black too, but it says they're from Canada, so I'm sure you could find a better source if you want some.

People say that DW's use less water than handwashing, but I don't know under what circumstances or if that's hype, urban legend or fact.

You don't need to be brave--just write your message to me and Steff and Marthavila (and Solman if he ever goes over there). It's just us. And if more people look in and give you suggestions, well that happens later, when you meet new friends. And Steff is right, bring out the important points up front: The window is going to be that big because you need the light and it's not changing. The cabinets have been bought (though if some are exchangeable you can mention that too), you have the appliances, etc. You know, the kind of stuff we had to pry out of Solman with a crow bar and a shovel.

Steff, I'll admit that sometimes I'm not gentle. Sometimes people have something that's really wacky, and I'll say so. There are a lot of perfectly normal kitchens being done. Missy's is normal. Even if the DW really had been the sink it would have been normal, and usable. But then there is the crack smoking architect or whatever, and I'll tell someone bluntly if it's so bad the first thing I'd do is tear it out. Sometimes being too nice doesn't get the point across.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Agreed, there are times when the best option is to tell someone straight out that what they considering doesn't work.
    Also when a contractor is not doing the job and the homeowner is wavering you have to talk tough.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Okely dokely, the deed is done. :o)

Hopefully no prying is necessary. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: message from the other side (hahaha)

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Well, the good news is we've finally warmed up.

The bad news is we have so much rain the National Guard is standing by to rescue people from potential flooding. Our house is on high ground, so we'll be fine but there's always someone who decides to try the low water crossing despite the flood warnings.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oy! Steff!! We're getting that next week. Whatever happened to moderation?? Global warming? Or just the contrary nature of nature?

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Look at all the action I've missed!

Yooo hooo hello everyone. Solman's been away to TO and working till midnight to pay for the lavish Mexican Kitchen, I just got home!

Missy, yes I see this DW is nagging you and you've been bitten by the technology bug. But all factors considered, I think you're already holding the ticket based on cost, capacity, newness of your present one. As far as position. I agree with others that the current position is not good. Too close to Stove. I just went down to the Kitchen and looked from your perspective. So, my feeling coming from a guy who has NEVER had a dishwasher in his life LOL! But when I had the choice on my floor plan, I could really see that it wouldn't be pleasant being a ) close to the corner cabinet and b) close to the stove. I would opt for moving the dishwsher to the right of the sink, then a 24 " and then the 12 inch at the end. 12 inchers are not the most desirable cabinets so tucking that to the end is nice. I did that with my 15" bank of Drawers. It's the smallest floor cabinet in my Kitchen. Then the additional 24 inch, left from the Diswasher substitution goes to the left of the sink. Perfect. I see DH's Cabinets have had quite the impact, very nice. And face frame too. I agree, they have to be used. Plllogs, overhang idea is superb by the island. I also like the fact that this simple shuffle for the dishwasher can respect DH's centering of the sink.

Stef-glad you're warming up like us. We were at +4C today. Before I left, I was doing dishes and right before my eyes, in front of the window, a 15 foot long UFO literally fell out of the sky and onto the ground. Thank God not into the stained glass window. Stunned, I just paused and took it all in for the moment. Yes, we had massive icicles hanging from the eavestrough and the weight of that ice was so overwhelming that it ripped them off the house and the whole thing fell to the ground. Truly a first in all my years here.

As for the TO trip, yes it was to good old IKEA for the Quiche and Vegetable Medallions... I mean Wall Oven switch and...shhhhhh, if I say it, Plllog might laugh at me. Hint: Starts with c and ends in r.

While I talked to the IKEA Kitchen guy about oven size, I asked him if they sold more 30 inchers, of course they did. But then he said something eery. They had some IKEA Staff seminar recently and were instructed to advise on 30 inchers when put below cooktops because of "Code". He didn't seem to expand on that; which means he obviously was dozing during that part of the meeting. So, that got me thinking enough that I didn't buy today but just returned the mean looking Black 24 incher. Plllog-Stef, I know looks wise you weren't crazy about the 24" under a 38 inch Mural. So, open minded Solman is willing to open up the wallet to the 30 incher if visually you REALLY like it better. As for Code, I just don't see how the size of oven could possibly influence a building code. This IKEA guy did also point...

• plllog
    14 years ago

My what? Overhang by Missy's island? Huh? But that does remind me of my real idea: Missy, you can build out the island with interior angle brackets supporting the overhang, at least partially, so that it's not entirely dependent on a freestanding piece. Not just for the possible resale you mention, but because having a support that's not attached to the island is risky.

Solman, how come you say you were working but the whole time seems to have been spent shopping? Hm...? Are you Ikea's new mattress tester? And of course I'm going to laugh at you, because I always do, but you can put whatever you want in the corner as long as you're happy with it.

Re the oven, you're tired. That would be 6" filler on both sides, or 12" filler to be distributed to either side. On code, check your local building department unless you have a uniform code for the whole province or something. I can't imagine how the width of the oven could affect this, though it might be that one model passes and another, seemingly similar model, doesn't for some technical innards reason or something.

We're telling you about the looks because it takes a certain ability to imagine to see things that aren't there, and we've developed that enough to consult. Choosing the color or the dial or whatever on looks is fine. Function is more important and my concern about the 24" has always been the interior dimensions. The first (UK) one was the size of a large toaster oven. It's meant for a tiny urban kitchen with no countertop room for a toaster oven, let alone cabinet room for a real oven, for making cheese toast or a chicken breast. (There are lots of condo flats in Sweden that are smaller than my front porch.) It's not for an exurban house of substance. The current one is usable, but still really small. The reason for the changing display is that Ikea knows it. 24" ovens are being made for retrofitting into an existing cabinet from back when a 24" oven was much deeper front to back than they are nowadays. Now, the same size is side to side in the 30". What if you want to bake cookies?

But all this discussion is for your information. You must take it in and do what is best for you. Well, okay, I might have dropped you if you'd gone with the crown inside the soffit, but in general, you have to be the final arbiter of what goes into your house. Actually, I did find a counter example for you. My cleaners went luxe recently, and they have contrast dentil molding both under and inside of a soffit, but the whole soffit is big can lights, so the moldings help distract from that abomination. And it's a cleaner's lobby. The whole design is way too over the top for a house. It's Hollywood Tuscan and completely ungapatchka. But the molding inside the soffit does work...

Re the look of the tile work, adding in any field tiles is going to be a problem because they won't match. I'm not so worried if the quarter round isn't just right, but you don't...

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Good morning, I see the night crew has been hard at work. I second everything plllog has said above.

My view on the oven is that function has to be the first consideration. Unless the width and proportion is really off, which is not the case, you will notice whether or not it works for you more over time.

As far as the tile pattern, I liked several of them pretty much the same so am not tied to Lace Mantilla if it works out better for the yellows.

plllog, LOL at the description of the cleaners. My nail salon did something similar as well.

Remember global warming is now climate change, so they're covered whether drought or flood, record cold or heat, and disasters both natural and man-caused.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Solman, how come you say you were working but the whole time seems to have been spent shopping? Hm...? Are you Ikea's new mattress tester?

Shhhh, if the Boss hears that Plllog, I'm in trouble. You see I've got this clever system where I can combine IKEAING with making deliveries. Kind of a multitasking operation because I'm a "good ol Country Boy goin to the Big City". And the Boss should be happy because the Dinner Allowance I used was only $2.49 on the IKEA Thursday Special- Quiche and Vegetables.

Stef, on that IKEA Oven, it did look impressive as in Grand having the full 30 incher under the cooktop. I remember Inspector Plllog with some comment that with the 38 inch Mural up top, it could look a little strange visually in balance. Seems like if all these IKEA showrooms, SEARS etc. is plugging the 30 incher as the norm, maybe you just go along with it. It would help re-sale. The 24 inch will not. Definitely more room. The price difference is minimal even if I will not use the extra. Also the cabinet can take a 30 inch oven since it's a 36 inch Cabinet. Where we have compromised with Euro sizes, Dishwasher and Fridge, there was no choice based on space constraints.

Prairie- Are you sure you would never want your island as a cooking area? Those islands at IKEA last night with lovely cooktops were really beautiful. Wink wink to you lucky ones who can have such luck.

On the way home last night I listened to my favorite NPR station and the descriptions of the devastation in Haiti and was moved by the reporter who started crying mid speech when he saw something disturbing. In times like this, it's really hard for me to take the Kitchen Reno seriously with the "problem" of a square corner or larger oven with the degree of annihilation that has occurred for these poor people.

My deepest sympathies for their suffering. Very sad.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

O Solman, the whole situation in Haiti is heartbreaking. I agree that it feels selfish to be thinking of kitchen renos at this kind of time. On the other hand, if you've already done what you can (whether physically or financially) I think it's ok to go on with your life. Human suffering is all around us, all the time. We just are good at not seeing a good portion of it, a good portion of the time. I think true compassion has to be a way of life, not something that is done only in times of emergency (tho reactive help during emergencies is very important too.)

If you can fit the 30" oven in, I say do it! As far as the 'Lace Mantilla', I'm with Steff. I think that (although drawn to one version) it will look gorgeous no matter which version you use.

As far as a cooktop in my island, I thought of that, but I already have a good stove/oven. I don't need to get another one 'just because' AND I like having all that unobstructed work space. When I bake bread I get pretty physical and throw the dough around a lot.

Plllog, the overhang won't be unattached to the island. The island countertop (hardwood or butcherblock I think) will be one piece and will just be made big enough to cover the top of the little cupboard. It will be attached to the island itself.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't thank me so soon because it look like I have set in motion an another 10 years search to achieve the perfect mexican kitchen and I will really like to see it finished before I die, so although I understand your love for real comal made tortilla when I said modern comal I was meaning:

go for the induction top, you then can put a clay comal or anything on top for decorating or cooking purpose.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh! Missy, if the island countertop is wood there's no problem with the overhang. It's not brittle. This environment has me thinking stone is the norm. Silly, huh? I'm sure you probably said it was wood before, but I forgot.

Re cooktops in the island: They look just great in the store where there's no heat, spatter, fumes, hood, etc. My brother has the "right" kind of island cooktop with a huge hood and enough protective margin, no seats. It's awful. I mean, it's fine for him because about all he cooks is mush or rice, but yuck.

I agree about the induction, but you can't cook on clay on induction. OTOH, I think you'd be pleased with the performance of an enamelled griddle.

Re Haiti, that's what I meant about resources and wealth. Our 6.9 quake killed 16, most in two problem spots. 7.0 is quite a bit stronger (Richter scale is exponential, not linear) but same vecinity. The current (post shaking) tragedy is that the mobilization units aren't prepared for infrastructure problems. We need to get aircraft fuel in, engineers and all terrains to get goods out of the airport and port, and similar things that are more usually associated with combat rather than aid. I hope they've got generals and other good movers of materiel on it.

Missy said it well, however. It is upon us always to lend help to those who can't do for themselves, emergency or not, but it's also necessary for us to pursue our lives and activities or misery will be the only industry and the world will come to a standstill.

So, the rains aren't even here yet and they're already spending a lot of news time on sandbagging and K rail. They're talking amounts of rain in a short time that we almost never have (guess El Ninño is still around!). I'm hoping that it's the Chicken Little thing, and we'll actually not get more than an inch, but it's looking ominous. He just said 4-6" in the basin! YIKES!!!!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

The situation in Haiti is getting worse by the hour. The suffering seems endless from the news. I did see a Canadian plane being unloaded, so the world knows you are there, too.

So go ahead and finish the kitchen.

We've had about 5" rain in 12 hours and the river is 6" above flood stage.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

I think I worded that poorly - boy the limitations of the internet sure make it difficult to have what you mean come out in your type.
    Of course it's important to help in emergencies. I guess I feel that it's just as (if not more) important to help the rest of the time too - helping those who can't help themselves by building schools, hospitals, universities, wells for fresh water, businesses, etc. I think once those in 3d world situations can (with our help) raise their standard of living, hopefully when something like this happens it won't have this kind of devastating effect. Hopefully that explains it a bit better. I guess all of this is part and parcel of why we don't want to overspend on our kitchen. We need to make sure that our spending on ourselves is balanced with what we use to help those in these kinds of places.

clear as mud? hah

Cripes, Steff, that's a lot of rain. Are you above flood level? Water can do so much damage when it goes where it's not supposed to.

plllog, sounds like you could be in for it, too - and people wonder why we choose to live here in the North. :o)

Stay safe all...

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Don't worry, our house is on higher ground. We do get floods in the creek behind but the low ground goes away from the house and no buildings are there.

Of course, balance and moderation. Keeping in mind all the other important things there are to do with money and not all for spending on ourselves alone.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Missy, it didn't sound like you meant not to help in emergencies! What I took from it was a reminder to help the miseries that aren't emergent and are always with us. I think it's I who isn't communicating well! The problem with a lot of the aid that goes to the third world is that it ends up as graft and very little actually goes to help the people and it's very hard to know how to help. From what they've been saying on the news however, there were a lot of aid workers in Haiti when the quake hit giving direct aid to some of the poorest people in the world. I admire them very much. I did my time as a volunteer but in a much more comfortable and protected place. But I'm with you on the indulgences. I've been using part of my kitchen money for donations for the reasons you've said. And I know that the spending I've done on my kitchen helps people in many many ways.

We had a luxury tax go in, in the 1990's I think. They thought, well, if you have to have a yacht over 45' (or whatever it was) and a car over $50K, then you can pay the tax. What it really meant is that if you have to pay a big tax on your yacht in California and not in Rhode Island, you can get your boat there. And buy your car at one of your other houses. And woe betide the boatyard workers and the chandlers and the Lamborghini salesmen who are hard working middle class people whose livelihoods the tax destroyed. Sigh.

Steff, that's scary rain!! Is that supposed to happen?

I'm fine where I am, though the (detached at the bottom of the hill) garage will flood because it was built wrong.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The problem with a lot of the aid that goes to the third world is that it ends up as graft and very little actually goes to help the people and it's very hard to know how to help

Well everyone, first of all I would like to say it is great to hear your sentiments towards the tragic devastation of untold numbers people.

Which reminds me of 2008 and the Cyclone that hit Myanmar. Asia always had/has a special place in my heart. When the Disaster struck in Burma, I was so moved by it that I almost left Canada for relief aid. There was the issue of aid not being allowed in by the Gov't (for obvious National Security reasons, especially American aid). Then one day, I magically learned about an aid program set up by the Burmese Buddhist Monks Association of Canada which was linked to other like Burmese Monks Associations around the world.
    How it worked was that donation money was wired directly to Burmese Monks in India and those Monks transported the actual money into Burma on foot. Once there, the money was distributed directly by the Monks to the people in need. It was brilliant.

I was so excited that I went to my immediate neighbors and asked them for a contribution for the cause which was front page news for weeks. To my utter disappointment and surprise, they had no interest in helping. In that moment I asked how could life be so cruel? Is it not our obligation here in the Western world of excess to share in the redistribution of wealth. That is why EVERY G7 Summit is marred in such violence. Inequality is not tolerable by most of the world. Our drug companies spend their Research dollars on pills so that old Western men can get erections when they should be providing affordable medications to the poor for terminal diseases like AIDS, which kills millions of people.

And today I look at the same neighbors driveway and see two new SUV's. A mere $50 donation is not even a tank of gas for one of their SUV's.

But a Buddhist Monk will say what you have witnessed in them is neither good nor bad. It's just the way it is.

Perhaps the identity of a Universal world in which we are a Universal being is too far removed for most. But if they were one of the wounded victims lying under the avalanche of rubble in Port of Prince today, and just inches away was a native Haitian bleeding, body parts missing, and eyes in tears, like themselves, then would they finally find the compassion to accept that we are really all the same beings? I hope so.

Pllog. Missy, Stef, really nice to hear that we have adjusted our lives in recognition towards the suffering of others.

The Myanmar Disaster happened near my Birthday in May '08 and when I spoke to the Toronto Monk by phone, I told him with tears that today is my Birthday and the greatest Birthday Gift I could have ever had was the honor of donating to the people of Myanmar. I will never forget it. It brought such happiness to my heart.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steff, are you there? I mean like physically there standing in the house and not canoeing through the streets. I have visions of you really in some serious flood images.

Missy I guess you were right that it's not all a bed of Roses down in the Tropics. They've got their issues too. Stef, I know this is a little premature to ask but are you sure you don't want to come back to our playground. Fresh glittering snowflakes, a winter skate on a frozen pond, Hot Chocolate after a skate, tobogganing down a lovely hill, dressing up as a hot Ski Bunny and sipping Champagne at the Lodge. Oh Plllog, all these apply to you too.

Come back to the North where Missy and I and DH will welcome you with open arms and maybe even build you a nice Yellow cabinet :)

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steff, that's scary rain!! Is that supposed to happen?

Those words coming from the The Victim of Rain herself.

Suddenly Plllog's signature Smiley becomes communal. Now it's both Stef and Pllog's. Swoosh;;;

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Missy- What did you think of my suggestion of moving the Dishwasher to the right of the sink and swapping one of the 2 24 inch Drawer cabinets in it's place and putting the 12 inch Drawers at the end, where they belong:) ?

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Thanks for your concern, everything is fine here. I did hear a lot of helicopters last night but as far as I know there were no emergency rescues.

Here's what the creek looked like during a big rain in December.

{{gwi:2105074}}

Here's what it looked like the next morning

{{gwi:2105075}}

We usually get 30" rain a year and just came out of a two year drought. The news is saying we actually got less than 4", I guess someone got a bit over the top earlier. The river and some streets did flood, but so far so good.

I also try to find relief services with low overhead that give directly to the victims, too. The Red Cross is a good orgnization, but they don't specifically direct funds.

The rain is gone and we will hit 75F/24C by Wednesday. We're off to Houston today, so we'll see you next week sometime.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the photos Steff! What a gorgeous backdrop. If that's the view from your house, it is enviable.

Glad the flood situation is not as bad as expected.

Have fun in Houston.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Oh Steff, your yard is beautiful!! *sigh* I'm glad to hear you're all ok. :o) Have a good, safe trip to Houston!

Solman, your suggestion has merit (I'm still trying out different configurations for the DW on the right), but the 12" drawer you're referring to is (I think) our garbage pull-out. It needs to stay next to the sink.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh Plllog, all these apply to you too.

Thank-you, no. I know how to deal with rain: stay in. Hypothermia starts below 60° F. I just get really worried about all the people in the burn zones. Not so much, though still feel some compassion, for rich people who live in the canyons. Choosing to live in a watercourse when you can afford to live elsewhere is just zany. Just because it can go a dozen years without flooding doesn't mean it's a safe place to put your house.

I'm sorry about your birthday bust, but it's hard to know about people. I turn down all solicitations as a matter of course, except for things that friends are directly participating in. Then I make my own donations in my own time following my own criteria. Your neighbors might be similar. Or maybe they already gave more than they could afford. It's impossible to know how much someone has by what they show (the cars might have been gotten at auction and hocked to the hilt, and the little old lady wearing the same coat for 20 years might be a gazillionaire), and impossible to know what they do or don't give unless they do it for self aggrandizement and crow about it loudly.

Steff, is that your yard?? Very pretty! Glad you didn't get the whole 4"! 1" is a lot for us, and I'm hoping that the predicted 4"-6" (over 5 days) is really going to be 1". I hope you get to be home for the warm up!!

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops my apologies for letting my left-wing activist sentiments seep through.

• plllog
    14 years ago

LOL! Solman, your left-wing activist sentiments were in lauding the "redistribution of wealth." I didn't argue with that! You're welcome to your politics. But I do think you shouldn't judge people for not following you. People have to follow their own paths. Some will hear your beat and march along. More will go their own way. The ones who don't follow you aren't bad. And being you doesn't make you more right than they are. Everyone who is trying to live a good life and be a good person is right in their own way. Go ahead and ask them to follow you. Just don't get mad at them if they choose a different course.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog-Thank you very much for such a nicely worded sentiment. You are absolutely right. We cannot judge others for not following us. Sometimes, in our exuberance for life, it is easy to get caught up in motivating others especially when we have discovered something that is truly great whether a new camera or Travel destination or charity.

I'm sure that psychologists would say that when we discover something that we are truly passionate about, we want to share with others in the hope of motivating them to follow in our footsteps. The result is an obvious sense of personal accomplishment and human bonding. You now both have that same camera or shoes and are almost like a family just based on that.

That is why I liked the Buddhist position. That it's neither bad nor good if someone follows. It's just the way it is. Without judgement. With tolerance.

And yes plllog, the truth is we can never fault those that do not choose to follow us. Hopefully, I will remember that.

• plllog
    14 years ago

::smile:: Yes. That's what I meant when I said I wasn't trying to get you to buy an iPhone. It's not right for everyone, and not even useful if you don't have good 3G saturation. I was just sharing how much I liked it for me. And I think your nearly disposable Nokia with the multiplicitous SIM cards sounds great for you (especially if you remember to back up your contacts regularly so it's no biggie if it does get stolen...).

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No no Plllog, you already got me to buy the iPhone or iSlate or both! But trust me, I wanted the iPhone since it came out, but it was very difficult for Hackers to unlock. Apple was prepared I guess.

Now that Hackers can unlock it, and some new wiz bang features are due in the V 4.0 in the coming months, so it looks appetizing indeed. I love my, "Go ahead, make my day" $19.99 special BUT in Business I can't really pull that out of my pocket without shame :) As the adage goes, we want to do business with people that look successful even if it's superficial. Now that even transfers to everyday life. Heard this on John Tesh the other day. When women went out shopping, the one's that were "better" dressed received much more attention from sales clerks.

So, yes my cheapo phone for Travel (where I definitely don't want to cause temptation and attract attention) and the better iPhone for the home scene.

I can already see that iSlate in my palms. Talk about material worship. But blame it on Steve, he's the one working us up for it. The latest of the latest rumors has it being like a Big iPhone.

So plllog, since I'm ready to follow you (maybe), are you coming on board with me to the iSlate? JAN 25 San Francisco.

And even if you don't, you know I'll respect your opinion don't you? ;)

• plllog
    14 years ago

LOL! Good. Because I have no need for a tablet. My contractor can't wait. Use it in good health. :)

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I'm Back in the USA."

Just got in from down south in America. And what a difference the border was today. No attitude made for good times. In fact, the Inspector wouldn't let me go! We were talking about Africa, Montreal, Vancouver and his future travels while there was a lineup of maybe eight cars behind me! . I even asked him for directions to the Home Depot which he gladly gave. Truly a first in all my years of crossing. It's almost as if US Customs heard our discussion during our UCMKF meeting and were so ashamed by their earlier behavior. LOL!

Plllog, yes I chose to follow you, again! We have Plugmold. Such a simple thing, but non existent in Canada. Even America was spotty. Lowe's doesn't have it either.

So while at the Depot, I was loitering amongst their Kitchen displays and still fascinated by this Accordion like contraption a.k.a Corner Cabinet. Truly an American thing. :::Cute. While standing there, the Kitchen Designer asked me if I had any questions. So I asked him what people's preference was between the True L and the angled Corner cabinets and sure enough people liked the true L. His assistant was quick to add that she had the angled corner and didn't like it because she was short and could never reach the back of the cabinet. I looked carefully and sure enough very valid point. Next question, the Designer asked me if I had any Soffits? Oh, well that was a good question. When I gave him that answer, he added that he never recommends an angled corner cabinet with square soffits. Bad design was his absolute belief. Hmmm.

So tomorrow, Carpenter will be here and we will do a real life arrangement of the corner in a perfect L. Luckily I have the exact sizes needed from the existing floor plan cabinets to do this quite easily.

Warning: There will be a slightly different look on the Mural wall. Right now it has two 12 inch doors on either side. With the cabinet re-shuffle, it will have 12 inch doors on the left, and 15 inch doors on the right. Visually and design wise I don't know if that is bad or irrelevant. That opinion would be appreciated.

Carpenter has also stained the back of one of the actual door trims in several variations to choose from.

Will be off to the big city on Monday to pick up some Milk....paint.

• plllog
    14 years ago

::waving:: Glad you had a good trip!

In general, one strives for symmetry, but in reality, it can't always be done.

But explain me this...how are you going to make a corner cabinet out of two regular cabinets? I don't get it. And are you shuffling the bottom too so that they all line up? Most confused...

And if you didn't buy a corner cabinet at Ikea, what was the secret item?

Much sybaritic pleasure tonight. G'night.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Farewell Darling People of Ix!!!

It was a good number while it lasted.

The deluge is supposedly a bit delayed, but there are already little spots of moisture dropping. I blew through Whole Foods but not a word from Amy. Solman, did you say something to her?

How goes with the cabinets? How are you going to reach in the corner? Or is Carpenter just carpenting a proper new cabinet out of the carcasses of the old? It's been puzzling me all morning.

It's 2 p.m. And very dark. And the doom is planned for tomorrow earliest. Oy.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No No, IX is still here with an ever so limited presence before... The Big X!

Quick plllog get that umbrella/canopy/awning/furniture cover out. Dark at 2? They're training for Vancouver 2010 on the sunny slopes of Whistler right now.

Oh and back to Whole Foods again? There's just too many good things in there for easy indulging. Like the Bakery section. -YUM- And the Spirulina Smoothies.

But what about my little Amy? Promise I didn't say anything to her. BUT... I'm starting to wonder if she expected "The "Rock" for X-Mas. I did offer her one of the good Guadalajaras but maybe that didn't dazzle her enough. It is handmade and beautiful and exotic after all. And those blood diamonds, I mean shiny pebbles, are so over priced anyways. Or maybe it was the new $19.99 cell phone and she was expecting me to have the snazzy iPhone. But it should be important enough that I actually call her, even if the phone is El Cheapo.

AMY: Where ever you are, you should always know that I LOVE you:r Tamales.

Aha we've got Plllog the Curious Cat in the Dark Damp Pacific Coastline wondering how will them Northerners get them corners straightened out?

Well, it goes like this. Carpenter arrives in morning. Carpenter hears about Perfect L corner idea. Carpenter about to say I'm crazy. Carpenter listens to reasoning. Carpenter's eyes start twitching. Carpenter looks at both elevations. Carpenter agrees to idea. Man asks Carpenter how. Carpenter says no problem, been there and done that with US Kitchen Installs.

So, when I told him about the mock up display by shuffling cabinets today, he basically said why bother because it's such a no brainer in looks.

The good news. The existing IKEA angled corner will be notched out like the American L Corner, including shelves, and we'll buy the accordion hinges and presto, next Saturday it goes up on the wall. No new cabinet purchase, no cabinet wasted, just 2 new 12 inch doors required! Maybe a $75 change in extra costs. Even he said the room looks larger. You can actually prep food now on that corner; without The Devil being in your face.

It will work like this. Window elevation-currently has 15 inch cabinet and the "creepy" corner to the left of the window. With the Plllog Accordian L a.k.a PAL, there will be one additional 12 inch door to the left of the 15 inch creating the corner. And attached to it, another 12 inch door as you turn the corner. So the Mural Elevation will now have three 12 inch doors in row to the right of the Mural.

No filler spaces, like IKEA showrooms do, since they butt doors and cabinets to create silly L's. One IKEA display even stopped the cabinets at the L Corner, so that there was no awkward reaching to the back of the corner and conceded the entire corner area.

Thhhe That's all folks!

Senorita Plllog, you have truly opened up a can of worms---I mean a corner for cans :)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh! Okay. That's the way I thought it should be done, but misunderstood when you talked about rearranging cabinets. Good for Carpenter. I thought you were talking about one of those oddities you've seen at Ikea and got very confusded. Good Solman. :D

I got home just in time. It's only dripping now, but it's wet. Leading edge and all that. But I got the three must before rain things planned done, and feel very good about it. I can sleep though the rain, and worry about the coming flood in the garage later. I need to clean the garage anyway.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I need to clean the garage anyway.

Plllog just a thought but maybe the stuff you need to clean out may just float up and away and save you the effort.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Clean. Not clean out. But if it floods enough to get over the rubber thingie we're in trouble.

• plllog
    14 years ago

The last people of Ix have headed to the hills. I thought we'd already had a lot of rainfall. My back patio (bricks) is saturated, and currently a few inches deep. Apparently, the real rain is coming this afternoon.

Good news is they're really seriously preparing the burn zones. A lot of people have voluntarily evacuated, they've put up K-rail, as well as sandbags, and they're issuing intense pleas for people to leave if there's a mandatory evacuation so they won't endanger the first responders. "We can't stop debris floes."

None of this is at my house. I'm on a knoll and well away from scrub. But watching the rain and the hillsides is what we do here.

And, no, what they had at the Globes yesterday was not rain. We know that. Enough to mar a silk dress, but not enough to bring down a hill.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy RAINARAMA Batwoman!

My back patio (bricks) is saturated, and currently a few inches deep. Apparently, the real rain is coming this afternoon.

Can't say the Weatherman was a Fibber. Can that pond on your back patio enter your interior decor? It is very Asian to have interior ponds with a couple of colorful KOI you know. Better than an artificial glass aquarium.

Quick Plllog let's head for the hills and catch up to the rest of the gang! At the least the water can't climb up there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part X of this thread.

• solman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy RAINARAMA Batwoman!

My back patio (bricks) is saturated, and currently a few inches deep. Apparently, the real rain is coming this afternoon.

Can't say the Weatherman was a Fibber. Can that pond on your back patio enter your interior decor? It is very Asian to have interior ponds with a couple of colorful KOI you know. Better than an artificial glass aquarium.

Quick Plllog let's head for the hills and catch up to the rest of the gang! At the least the water can't climb up there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part X of this thread.