Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindstorm_gw

Wasn't there a Saddam thread here?

mindstorm
17 years ago

I've been really busy for the past few days and haven't been on very much but there was a very interesting if intense thread on US foreign policy titled something about Saddam Hussein's execution. I am so sure it was here on "Conversations" in the GW "Kitchens" forum. It sure as heck isn't on the main kitchens thread and it certainly isn't on Paint - these are the other fora I used to frequent. I'm very sure it was on GW since the other participants were GW regulars.

I can't imagine that it would have been yanked - it was such a well-behaved thread. Do I have the wrong forum? Or have I been hallucinating? Either way, although I haven't had the time to log in, I would try to read updates to that thread whenever I got a chance.

Would appreciate if anyone knows where it is could point me to it.

Thanks guys! And Happy New Year to all.

Comments (31)

• ctremodler
    17 years ago

Mindstorm you are right. There was a thread. It is the weirdest thing because I agree with you it was well behaved. It gets weirder becasue not only was that thread pulled but Bill Vincent posted a question yesterday similar to yours and I believed abfab answered but that thread was pulled as well. I sure wish I understood the rationale of the Gardenweb gods.

• fairegold
    17 years ago

Someone probably complained to Management.

If you haven't already, do check out the Hot Topics forum, which is quite a free-for-all at times, but always fun to read and fun to play.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Topics

• berlin66
    17 years ago

Yes it was here. Have you read Orwell's 1984?

• mindstorm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh. Pulled x2, eh? Then this thread must put me on very shaky ground with Management.

Fairegold, I had no idea about HotTopics. It looks awesome! I'm going to have to misspend my time there, now! Its a mosh pit! Cool. Wonder why they didn't just move the entire thread to HotTopics.

Berlin, LOL. Double entendre.

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

How unfortunate. It was an informative, decent and remarkably civil exchange. What was there to complain about?

True, it could've gone downhill fast, but it wasn't headed that way.

• fairegold
    17 years ago

This has nothing to do with Orwellian measures of Big Brother. The rules of these forums state that political content is not welcome, and a separate forum is provided for those discussions.

There is no Big Brother. There is no Moderator. This has nothing to do with free speech issues. I really wish that people would understand that. This forum is run by a for-profit company and there is a list of rules for use of the fora. All it takes is for anyone---you, me, the next guy--- to file a complaint, and the offending post is removed. Because, as a for-profit company, iVillage does not wish to offend any users.

So head over to Hot Topics and dive right in!

• abfab
    17 years ago

My husband and I have been watching a really bizarre tv series on HBO called "Carnevale" about two avatars of good and evil struggling to bring about (or avert) armageddon in the depression era dustbowl. Its pretty gripping, often horrifying, and "Management" is the name assigned to the mysterious magical figure that lives in the back of one of the carnival wagons. Every time a knotty problem comes up the carnival boss, a midget named samson, growls 'take it up with management!" and everyone backs off.

abfab

• mindstorm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fairegold, This is the "Conversations" section of the Kitchens Forum. By definition then, it means "Miscellaneous". If "misc" is to mean "misc", then so long as there is no hair-pulling, shirt-ripping or promiscuous activity, I don't see the logic behind anyone complaining that the thread lives here and not there. If I were to start a thread on washbasins or diamond encrusted toilet bowls, and if the participation was civil, would it be a breach of contract that the thread were here in Conversations and not on the main Bathroom page?

Regardless, that HotTopics thing sure does sound fascinating and I thank you for telling me about it.

• ctremodler
    17 years ago

I had no idea that political topics were verboten. I looked around for forum rules but wasn't succesful--can anyone offer direction? I have lurked in the Hot Topics forum for a few weeks now. I don't find it as satisfying as I did this thread on Saddam. It seems to me that Hot Topics tends slip more into name calling where this thread was intelligent back and forth.

• berlin66
    17 years ago

Ooo I love Carnivale! Intriguing isn't it, abfab?

• fairegold
    17 years ago

Whenever you reply to this or any other thread or atsrt a new thread, you agree to the terms of service of the company. Click on "Terms of Service" and you'll see it all. Here is a direct link to that page.

Just because this is the "Conversations" side of this forum still does not mean that it is a free-for-all.

Objectionable material is in the eye of the beholder. There is a notice at the top of another forum which perhaps belongs on all the fora:
    "Please avoid topics like politics and religion where opinions vary widely and feelings can be strong."

Here is a link that might be useful: Terms of Service

• jerzeegirl
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting the Hot Topics link! Sorry I missed the Saddam thread.

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

I, too, was very disappointed in GW for removing the original thread. That sort of behavior really undercuts the value of these forums, for me at least.

The terms of service exclude "any message or material of any kind or nature that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable material or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, gives rise to civil liability, otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation, or encourages the use of controlled substances."

Sadly, the phrase otherwise objectionable can be interpreted however they like.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I found it interesting that nothing was said to me as a result of the original thread, in which I was one of the more, shall we say, "controversial" participants, but when I posted the question thread yesterday, that warranted an almost immediate "friendly reminder" from Gardenweb. Go figure. I'll be surprised if this thread doesn't follow in the path of "Brigadoon", as well!

• shequit
    17 years ago

I am the one who posted the original thread. I have not been able to get on-line for a couple of days but fortunately I printed out the thread late on 1/2/07 so I could spend some time reading and also to get my DH's opine (he's an attorney and ALWAYS has an opinion). I was so excited to read the responses. What an interesting, well-informed group of people we have here. I am lacking in certain areas and the responses certainly stimulated my senior mind to persue. Thank you to all who responded. I must add that I did look at the "hot topics". I do think we have some people here who really know the meaning of debate!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

Hot Topics looks cool :) Thanks, fairegold.

• jillypie
    17 years ago

So sorry I missed the Saddam thread. But thanks for the tip to Hot Topics. I never knew it was there. I actually bookmarked it as I could not find it in the list of forums.

• fairegold
    17 years ago

Jillypie, it's a subset of the Garden Forums and not the Home Forums.

But it is great fun, and I hope to see you all over there!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I've made my presence known. :-) As all of you are already aware, EVERYONE'S entitled to my opinion! LMAO

• honeyb2
    17 years ago

I'm sorry it got pulled but glad I had the opportunity to read it before it disappeared. I really want to thank everyone who took the time to add to what was a very thought-provoking discussion. Makes me even more excited about the upcoming New England get-together and meeting you articulate, well-read and thoughtful folks!

• abfab
    17 years ago

Bill, I love your motto. I think it must be mine, too. It was a really good thread and I'm sorry I didn't print it out in time myself. It was up on my screen but once they deep sixed it I couldn't print it out.

abfab

• jillypie
    17 years ago

Did anyone keep it or clip it?

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

THAT'S IT!! D.C. should turn this forum into a government think tank!!

WE'LL decide on and dictate policy!!

(go ahead and get a mental picture of THAT one!!) ROTFLMAO

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

Such a cool thread on Hot Topics. Not. hehehe.

Bill, please don't ever spare us your opinions. We count on you, man.

• sjerin
    17 years ago

Yes, the original poster, shequit, had printed it out for her dh to read. I don't know how she could post it again, but then I'm not very tech-savvy.

• honeyb2
    17 years ago

Just think what an attractive and well-designed think tank we could provide the feds!?! Bill, you're a genius.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Yeah, I know.

Modest to a fault, too.

:-)

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

If you haven't already, do check out the Hot Topics forum, which is quite a free-for-all at times, but always fun to read and fun to play.

Fairgold-- what a forum to direct a card carrying, Bible thumping, Fox News watching, Bill O'Rielly lovin, pro-life, loud mouth conservative to!!!

THANKS!!

ROTFLMAO

• abfab
    17 years ago

This thread is the "how to get cats down off the counter" thread only for kitchen posters. We creep up onto a political topic and I imagine gardenweb asking themselves "is now the moment to shoot those kitties with the spray gun?...is it now?...is it now...?"

abfab

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I'll tell you-- sometimes I think I'm just a glutton for punishment. I think I'm one of maybe three or four people in that entire forum with a conservative point of view. I go in there and within seconds, I'm pulling my hair out (what little I have left! :-) ), but when I get home from work, I can't wait to get all the tile questions out of the way so I can see what's going on over there!! Masochistic, or what!! LMAO

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Bill, you ARE a gluttom for punishment if you're hanging out there, LOL! You're not alone. Most of the time I am "in the closet" here about most of my beliefs, lest I get bashed and misunderstood. Better to keep on topic about kitchens etc.