Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetjanetbobanet

Short cycling furnace

janetjanetbobanet
10 years ago

My landlord had a new Williams wall furnace put in last winter because the old one was having little "explosions" on startup sometimes. After the weather started to get cold again this winter, the new furnace has started cycling the flame on and off at short intervals with the blower continuing to run the whole time. I sometimes wake up in the morning and it is doing this, so the blower has probably been running most of the night. The flame comes on for maybe 2 minutes, goes off, then back on again in less than a minute. If I turn the thermostat down into the 50's and let the furnace not run for awhile, and turn it back on, it performs normally for awhile, but it always goes back to short cycling if it is very cold outside. I did some searching, and since there is no filter for this furnace, that is not the cause. The thermostat location did not change when they switched furnaces. Wondering what could be causing this and whether to be concerned. I don't want to cause the landlord to have to pay for a service call if not needed.

Comments (5)