Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some advice for heat pump please!

Posted by mayhem69 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 22:54

Hi, i live in SE Pa. We have a summer/winter hookup and the price of oil is getting ridiculous. i have been thinking about possibly getting a heat pump to heat/cool just the front of my house because that is where we spend all our time.
It would be 2 very big rooms, sunroom is approx. 500 sq. ft. with a sloped 12 ft. ceiling.
The other room is our family room and about 400 sq. ft. with 14 ft. sloped ceiling.
I was wondering if i have the right idea getting a high efficient heat pump, i do not know.
It would be really easy because those 2 rooms are against my garage and that is where i thought i would put the pump. So i guess it would be a piece of cake for duct.
Also, i know nothing about the units , just that i want a really high efficient unit.
Can anyone chime in and point me in the right direction? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some advice for heat pump please!

Probably a ductless mini-split HP to serve those 2 rooms. No air handler in garage; no ductwork to run. Also, might have difficulty locating a HP small enough to serve those rooms.

V

o

But if i find a heat pump small enough for those 2 rooms, would it be wise for me to do that? could i save that much on oil?
I googled and found some small heat pumps rated 24,000 btu, 30k btu and 36k btu. I guess one of these rated heat pumps would be good for my needs.
But like i stated earlier, would i be able to save money in the winter keeping my oil down to 60 and using this?

This post was edited by mayhem69 on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 11:24

o

I"m assuming you don't have ductwork. If thats the case the best thing for you is a mini-split. Find a contractor that can install these. You may need more or less btu's for your place depending on how well insulated you place is. I can't see more than 24,000 btu's. Could be much less.
It would be much cheaper than heating with oil if your electric is not outrageous.

If you do have ductwork I would get a regular heatpump and heat/cool your whole house with it. It wouldn't be much more expensive than the cost of a mini-split.

o

no, i do not have ductwork and the install i think would be very easy, my garage is on the inside walls of both rooms that need to be heated/cooled.
Does anyone know how to figure what size unit i would need. My sunroom is kinda cold to begin with and has a sloped 13 ft. ceiling. The other room, family room has a 12 ft. ceiling also.

o

What do you do about heating the rest of your home? How many square feet? Layout/floors/basement?

While your 'wall' installation may be a piece of cake, you would need to have a lineset (refrigeration pipes) run to a (outside) traditional unit.

V

o

the rest of my home has oil baseboard heat. We have 3 zones, 1 upstairs with 2 bedrooms and bathroom, 2 downstairs, 1 zone for front half of house (dining room and bedroom), 1 zone for primary living space of house , big family room, kitchen, and hopefully soon to be sunroom.
I dont think running the refrigerant line would be a problem.

o

I think i found what i've been looking for, check em out, gonna install 2 of these.
http://www.younits.com/fujitsu-15rls2-wall-ductless-air-conditioner-heat-pump-21.5-seer-14500-btu-1.5-ton-p-11474.html?utm_source=Google+Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping&gclid=CJCp0a7UgbQCFUWo4AodbmQAVQ

I can also get $1400 cash back with rebates from Fujitsu and my local electric co.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here